Welcome,
you who have chanced to
look beneath the dewy
clover to uncover the secret struggles
of the Gubs.

GUBS - Pixel Edition
A Game of Wit and Luck

The Game
GUBS - Pixel Edition is a single-player adaptation of the unique and fun, family card game, GUBS (http://www.gubcards.com). In this free version (which is the full game), you can play GUBS against two computer opponents. Of course, if you wish to play with friends and family, you'll have to buy the card game, itself.

To win, you must be the player with the most Gubs on your side when the game ends. Easy to learn and easy to play, GUBS is a notoriously replayable game with new strategies appearing all the time.

TIGSource Review

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Download GUBS - Pixel Edition
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

SCREENSHOTS
Posted Image

ADDITIONAL NOTES:
* Made with Game Maker 7.0 (~7MB)
* This game is free to download and play on PC; if you want to play with friends, you can purchase the actual card game (through a button in the game).

EDIT: Uploaded a new version (made "draw card here" tooltip last 1 second longer) - 02/13/2009 7:56PM PST
EDIT: Uploaded a new version (added fullscreen option) - 02/05/2009 9:27AM PST
EDIT: Uploaded a new version (bugfix) - 01/30/2009 3:39PM PST

Edited by Lethalanvas, 15 July 2011 - 10:50 AM.

Notable Projects: Witchmarsh (@Inglenookgames), @RiskofRain (Hopoo Games) and Wanderlust Franchise (@YetiTrunk)

Development Streaming at http://www.twitch.tv/Leth

#2 Darryl_Holmes

Darryl_Holmes

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 445 posts

Posted 05 February 2009 - 09:45 AM

oh wow, this is amazing, i love card games and this one is VERY well designed.

The game is very professional, and one i would most likely pay $20 for given a few more features, this is by far one of the best freeware games i have played and certainly the best free game i have played on the GMC.

After 2 days of playing I haven't won a match yet... damned things keep stealing my Gubs :P, but that just makes it all the more addictive, when i finally master the normal game i see an option for Expert AI... yeah, that's gonna take me a while.

Anyone not downloading this because they think its a demo... This game is 100% free, this is the FULL GAME, its a digitization of a card game, by [Commercial] they mean that you can actually purchase a physical version of it, not that you have to pay for the game. Either that or they mean its Commercial Quality, which it is, i have purchased games that are no where near as good as this.

I will be ordering a deck or 2 as soon as i get my money through.

-=::EDIT::=-
Sorry for not posting up when i first downloaded this game... got a bit addicted :)

Edited by Darryl_Holmes, 05 February 2009 - 09:47 AM.

#3 Ecstats

Ecstats

GMC Member

• 844 posts
  • Version:GM8

Posted 05 February 2009 - 11:35 AM

GAH! This game is rigged! It's impossible to win! I've played several times now and I always lose! This last time I had the most gubs at the end and every time the last letter-card showed up one of them had a counter to it! And then when I was drawing the card that was SECOND to last I got the card that discarded ALL my cards on the table!!

#4 Darryl_Holmes

Darryl_Holmes

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 445 posts

Posted 05 February 2009 - 11:59 AM

lmao, yeah, it is ridiculously hard sometimes, i have managed to get a draw though, G and B cards was out, just before U popped up the damned AI put all my Gubs in bubbles and killed the rest with spears :).

Needs an easy setting i recon.
Also, the ability to add extra decks would be awesome, maybe setting for 1,2 or 3 decks but only use 1 set of G,U&B cards.

#5 Ecstats

Ecstats

GMC Member

• 844 posts
  • Version:GM8

Posted 05 February 2009 - 12:23 PM

YOU WIN!

Finally! This game really depends on luck sometimes. The first two letter cards showed up real early, and I happened to have that purple lure card which steals all gubs from one of the opponents, giving me 5 unprotected gubs. Then the last letter came, and noone had a counter for it!

I agree with Mr Holmes up there, this card game is very well designed. Was alot better than I expected. Excellent artwork aswell. I'll probably get bored soon from playing against computers all the time though.

I read the "about" page on your site, it was quite an interesting read. And the cardgame is available in Sweden! I'll try to remember to get a deck when I get back there some day, gotta show this game to a couple of friends.

Hmm, the only thing I can think of to improve the game would be to add some nice tunes to it, although it's hardly necessary. Maybe add some more sound effects?

Oh and yes the [commercial] tag is a bit misleading. I suggest you remove it and you'll probably get more plays.

*edit* Oh it's available in Australia aswell. There's no marker for it on your map though.

*edit2* I forgot to mention, there doesn't seem to be any way to switch fullscreen on? It was kinda hard to see the text on some cards, especially the smaller flavour text.

Edited by Ecstats, 05 February 2009 - 01:06 PM.

#6 Darryl_Holmes

Darryl_Holmes

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 445 posts

Posted 05 February 2009 - 03:11 PM

*edit* Oh it's available in Australia aswell. There's no marker for it on your map though.

To my understanding i think it ships everywhere and anywhere, that map with the pins on it are where its already been sent to, so if you order one to be sent to somewhere with no pin, when its been sent off the creator adds a pin on the map to show its been sent to that country.

I also agree with the ability to make it full screen, would indeed be nice to play it full screen, especially since the text is rather small.

#7 FallenMaster

FallenMaster

GMC Member

• 417 posts

Posted 05 February 2009 - 05:14 PM

Haha, loved it =). First "GM-game" I've bought lol, so professionally I just could not not buy it :P. I also liked the concept at honesty; not forcing anything upon the player, not paying for a non-limited game but instead of an extended one.

I hope it gets here before the gaming night at school next Friday :).
Homepage: www.VD-Productions.com
Email: wallin_philip@hotmail.com

Games I've made: Venus Duel, Tower Defence, Tower Defence 2, Penguins Under Siege, Penguin Racers, Painball, Helmy, Final Flight, Animal Invasion, Bounty Hunter, Last Hope of Magic, The Defender, Original Mini Games, Penguins Under Siege II, Red's Journal, Pyrawords, Attack of Xolotl, Blobbz Online, Garbage Galactica, The Defender II... and they keep rolling in =).

Latest Game: The Defender II

#8 Lethalanvas

Lethalanvas

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 348 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 05 February 2009 - 05:17 PM

Wow, great comments and feedback, everyone! Thanks, so much!

Cole, the designer of Gubs, is a personal friend of mine. He actually got me into Game Maker (version 4.2) long ago! I've been hooked ever since. When he finally published his card game (self published, to be more precise), I convinced him to let me make this version of the game to help promote it on the web. In my opinion, Cole is an extremely talented game designer and I am glad to have been a part of his success. Before releasing Gubs (like a year ago) he had worked on the game for probably 10 years. Hopefully, I'll get to play a larger role in his future game creations (like help designing them).

Gubs is simply supposed to be a fun game to play with friends; luck often plays a deciding role in the game, which keeps the game light-hearted. Don't be discouraged if you lose; the game plays so quick, you can just play again right after you finish one match. It definetely is not a game where you can feel confident about having the lead at any given point, but there are strategies to employ (counting cards is a big one) which can help.

I assure you that the game is not rigged! I coded the deck to be shuffled into a list, so that the cards that are drawn are actually drawn in order of the shuffle, from the top of the list. The computer has no control over which cards they get. The Expert AI simply employs a few more strategies in order to win, and is in no way 'cheating'. :)

The real card game looks exactly like the cards you see in the video game. In fact, I've had a chance to play with 6 players and it was awesome! I highly recommend purchasing it if you're into card/board games at all, and it's only about $15USD online. There are only a half-dozen stores that are carrying the game right now, and they're mostly in California. Basically, to buy the game it must be done online, through the site.

Lastly, F12 toggles fullscreen, but perhaps I need to add this into the option menu. Also, you can toggle off most of the event cards in the options, which I have found makes the game a bit more strategic (less luck).

Again, thanks for the feedback, everyone. I will relay your comments to Cole; he loves to hear it!
~Matt

Edited by Lethalanvas, 18 September 2009 - 09:10 AM.

Notable Projects: Witchmarsh (@Inglenookgames), @RiskofRain (Hopoo Games) and Wanderlust Franchise (@YetiTrunk)

#9 FallenMaster

FallenMaster

GMC Member

• 417 posts

Posted 06 February 2009 - 10:55 AM

I know it's not rigged, I won on my second try :( .

Games I've made: Venus Duel, Tower Defence, Tower Defence 2, Penguins Under Siege, Penguin Racers, Painball, Helmy, Final Flight, Animal Invasion, Bounty Hunter, Last Hope of Magic, The Defender, Original Mini Games, Penguins Under Siege II, Red's Journal, Pyrawords, Attack of Xolotl, Blobbz Online, Garbage Galactica, The Defender II... and they keep rolling in =).

#10 scoz

scoz

GMC Member

• 464 posts

Posted 15 February 2009 - 06:28 AM

Just figured out that this was made by Lethalanvas, who is behind Wanderlust: Rebirth. Cha ching!

This game is brilliance. It perfectly achieves what it sets out to do. It perfectly recreates the proccess Gubs without tarnishing the appeal of playing gubs in RL (hence maintaning its purpose as advertising). The graphics are perfectly recreated, and the computer AI is strong. A nice but unobtrusive sondscape heightens the pleasure further. And, most important of all, I genuinely felt like buying a box of Gubs afterwards (I didn't, but that was for lack of money :whistle: I'll get onto it).

Also, I visited the gubs website after playing, and I was honestly inspired by the gubs story. Both you and cole should be heartily congratulated, and I honestly hope you get more attention, sooner rather than later.
EGE: Yoyo | GMC | Roket | Game Jolt

#11 FallenMaster

FallenMaster

GMC Member

• 417 posts

Posted 16 February 2009 - 03:39 PM

Yej! Just got my deck, I'm so gonna beat a friend in this next weekend =). Mm, gotta love that new-car(d) smell :D.

#12 David Dark

David Dark

GMC Member

• 154 posts

Posted 18 February 2009 - 10:04 PM

won when i played it for the first time ^^ great game :blink:

#13 scoz

scoz

GMC Member

• 464 posts

Posted 24 June 2009 - 01:52 AM

Congrats on Gubs' recent inclusion in Australian PC Powerplay magazine! Hopefully it boosts the attention this wonderful game receives.
EGE: Yoyo | GMC | Roket | Game Jolt

#14 G.I.L.

G.I.L.

GMC Member

• 64 posts

Posted 04 July 2009 - 04:15 PM

Great game!

#15 Lethalanvas

Lethalanvas

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 348 posts

Posted 15 July 2011 - 10:48 AM

Gubs recently was picked up by publisher Gamewright. It will be in nationwide circulation fairly soon! :D

Posted Image

Edited by Lethalanvas, 15 July 2011 - 10:51 AM.

#16 Lethalanvas

Lethalanvas

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 348 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 03:44 AM

Now available in stores and also online! http://www.barnesand...itm=1&usri=gubs