32 replies to this topic

#1 9_6

9_6

• GMC Member
  • 3627 posts

Posted 29 January 2009 - 02:22 AM

Gm Version 7

Resolution 320x240/640x480
Changes screen resolution Never. 'Resize 2x' just stretches the window.
Genre Bullet hell simulator

Screenshots
Posted Image

Description
Dodge thousands of bullets thrown at you in random patterns and survive as long as possible.
If things become tricky, you can slow down time or unleash a devastating charged attack to blast your enemies away and get health.
Watch the replay if you're not sure how to play this game (or want to laugh at how much I suck at my own game =P) and aim for the highest score!
In-depth information is in the game.

-DOWNLOAD-
YYG

The zip file contains the source.
Don't re-distribute the altered version of it without asking me first.
You may use all the sources I made (everything except the music) in your project if you credit me.

Highscore

Enjoy.

Online highscore done by siert. Thanks man.

Edited by 9_6, 18 March 2010 - 10:28 PM.

#2 scoz

scoz

GMC Member

• 464 posts

Posted 29 January 2009 - 04:18 AM

Thank you SO MUCH :) I'm just so happy :lol:

+curtain shmup
+BRILLIANT curtain shmup
+Retro graphics
+REPLAYS!!!!!

and the mother of them all

+SOOOOOUUUUURCCCEEEE COOOOOODDDDEEEE

This ticks all the boxes :(

(but shouldn't this be in shooter?)
EGE: Yoyo | GMC | Roket | Game Jolt

#3 9_6

9_6

• GMC Member
  • 3627 posts

Posted 29 January 2009 - 05:59 AM

Thanks.
About the replays, they are off sometimes. Just a little tiny bit but it's enough to alter the outcome tremendously because of the slow motion.
That's not always the case though.
I made quite a lot and they always worked, then I uploaded it here, thinking I finally got it to work, make another one and BAM, death in round 3 although I reached round 23...

All my attempts to solve this -recording the slowmotion rate and the moments you get hit along with the input etc.- only resulted in a more unprecise outcome. I have no idea what gives.
The result even changes if another instance than the mainmenu starts the replay although there is NO reason for that and I searched for it... believe me I searched... 3 cursed days did I spend on searching!

Anyway, you have the source so if anyone has any idea what's wrong (if you can make sense of my code) I'd apreciate it if you told me because I have absolutely no idea and I tried everything. Even the things that don't make sense and oddly enough, they even had an effect.

Edited by 9_6, 29 January 2009 - 06:02 AM.

#4 scoz

scoz

GMC Member

• 464 posts

Posted 31 January 2009 - 10:53 AM

Thanks.
About the replays, they are off sometimes. Just a little tiny bit but it's enough to alter the outcome tremendously because of the slow motion.
That's not always the case though.
I made quite a lot and they always worked, then I uploaded it here, thinking I finally got it to work, make another one and BAM, death in round 3 although I reached round 23...

All my attempts to solve this -recording the slowmotion rate and the moments you get hit along with the input etc.- only resulted in a more unprecise outcome. I have no idea what gives.
The result even changes if another instance than the mainmenu starts the replay although there is NO reason for that and I searched for it... believe me I searched... 3 cursed days did I spend on searching!

Anyway, you have the source so if anyone has any idea what's wrong (if you can make sense of my code) I'd apreciate it if you told me because I have absolutely no idea and I tried everything. Even the things that don't make sense and oddly enough, they even had an effect.

well, it's a LOT of stuff to go through so I don't know if you already have this but couldn't you put an if clause into your replay, so even if, for whatever reason there is a collision between bullet and ship if it's not when the death occured the collision event is ignored? So, put the time of death in the replay data?

I can't believe this hasn't had more attention. It's awesome :GM123:

#5 9_6

9_6

• GMC Member
  • 3627 posts

Posted 31 January 2009 - 11:45 AM

Thanks.

well, it's a LOT of stuff to go through so I don't know if you already have this but couldn't you put an if clause into your replay, so even if, for whatever reason there is a collision between bullet and ship if it's not when the death occured the collision event is ignored? So, put the time of death in the replay data?

Had that already.
Problem is, if you get hit, time slows down so if a hit gets ignored, the whole timing gets out of whack.
I've been through recording the moments you get hit along with recording the slowmotion-rate and it only lead to replays that are even more off than before with you buzzing through dense bullet curtains without getting hit, then suddenly getting hit although the bullets are miles away etc. and like I said, all measures to force precision into it only resulted in it being more and more off.
It's a very sensitive system.

The only other solution would be recording the positions and angles of all sprites each -or each second- frame but that would lead to notable loading times and quite large replays.
I've let that run for 2 seconds once and it hit the 320000 max length of arrays already!

Edited by 9_6, 31 January 2009 - 11:47 AM.

#6 Overman

Overman

GMC Member

• Banned Users
  • 884 posts

Posted 31 January 2009 - 06:03 PM

I like it, 4/10.

#7 banov

banov

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1172 posts
  • Version:Unknown

Posted 03 February 2009 - 03:06 AM

Wow-- saw your post in my topic, realized you were the competition. Good luck! I played this earlier when I saw the Bytejacker episode, so I suppose I may as well share my thoughts...

I liked it! Really cool straight-up schmup, with a cool timing mechanic that makes the game feel fresh while simultaneously keeping our beloved shooting intact. Only problem is that it didn't feel like it had a great deal of depth, and as such didn't have much to keep me playing for long.

Again, good luck on Bytejacker, I wouldn't be surprised to see this do well in the polls.

#8 Hach-Que

Hach-Que

RoketGames Admin

• 1490 posts

Posted 03 February 2009 - 09:09 AM

I completely suck at this game, but it's still good.

:D

I don't visit these forums (and I haven't for quite some time). You can

see my latest community projects at the Redpoint Blog.

I never thought I'd see myself writing the above.. :(

#9 siert

siert

GMC Member

• 24 posts

Posted 07 February 2009 - 10:53 PM

I love this game. And I've had no problems with the replay (which is a great idea!).

I've got to say that this has got me started on my online highscores again.

5 out of 5

#10 scoz

scoz

GMC Member

• 464 posts

Posted 09 February 2009 - 10:36 PM

:rolleyes:

I just saw who posted this.

Why are you making new games when you could be finishing Hyperwars???

#11 9_6

9_6

• GMC Member
  • 3627 posts

Posted 09 February 2009 - 11:12 PM

Uhh... sorry?
Also that's not quite as new as you may think.

Edited by 9_6, 09 February 2009 - 11:13 PM.

#12 scoz

scoz

GMC Member

• 464 posts

Posted 10 February 2009 - 01:28 AM

Uhh... sorry?

No, I know how old Hyperwars is (a couple of years). I also know how good hyperwars is, but you said that it was only 40% completed.

#13 Legendary

Legendary

GMC Member

• 89 posts

Posted 10 February 2009 - 03:08 AM

Uhh... sorry?

Yeah, I remember playing this a long time ago. It is a very good game, any particular reason you waited until now to make a topic for it?

#14 9_6

9_6

• GMC Member
  • 3627 posts

Posted 10 February 2009 - 05:52 AM

Well first it was intended as a minigame in another game but I sort of gave up on that.
Also I added some new features to it before making the thread here.

Uhh... sorry?

No, I know how old Hyperwars is (a couple of years). I also know how good hyperwars is, but you said that it was only 40% completed.

You know, I have a version of it lying around with twice the content (because of those 2-way levels) here.
The only thing that keeps me from releasing it is the crappy powerup system that stops the gameplay flow and the lack of a propper epic final boss that fills 10 screens.
I'll get to it again some day but it's so full of stuff that it's not fun to work on it anymore.

Edited by 9_6, 10 February 2009 - 08:18 AM.

#15 Ratchetmon

Ratchetmon

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 154 posts
  • Version:GM8

Posted 11 February 2009 - 02:21 AM

Yeah we all get tired of developing eventually.

I really like this game. It's fast pace keeps me on the edge of my seat and at the same time not burning my eyes.

Keep up the good work!
This is my Game Maker Community profile's signature. I post stuff on this signature so people will read it......or not.

This link is sticky icky icky!

#16 9_6

9_6

• GMC Member
  • 3627 posts

Posted 16 February 2009 - 10:28 PM

Update
Thanks to siert, this game has online highscores now!
The links in the first post have been updated with the new version!

Unfortunately I didn't get any further with implementing the new replay system so -apart from that- there are no new features.

Oh yeah, it's created with gm7 now so it should be fully vista compatible.

Edited by 9_6, 16 February 2009 - 10:31 PM.

#17 Diptoman

Diptoman

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1906 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 20 February 2009 - 05:33 PM

Just one word to describe this: 'BRILLIANT'! (Plus, I'm really surprised at the low number of sprites used after looking at the source file of this. I never expected that you assembled different ship body-parts into a sprite!)
This is the first retro shooter I like, and I'm addicted to it.

My newest high score is 60313! OMG! Wonder if anyone can beat that...However, the replay's busted on this one and shows that I died at 14818 or something like that. (But I still have my replay on my previous score of 42197 which works perfectly!)

#18 Broxter

Broxter

Jack Brockley

• GMC Member
  • 540 posts

Posted 21 February 2009 - 12:17 PM

I love the 'Replay' functinon. It's cool to see you playing your own game. :P

- Broxter

#19 ghettoblastar

ghettoblastar

GMC Member

• 3 posts

Posted 21 February 2009 - 01:24 PM

Haha,
Awesome work.
I liked the insults alot.
"Idiot" "You Suck!"
Made me angry,
So i played even more!
:P
10/10

Edited by ghettoblastar, 21 February 2009 - 01:25 PM.

#20 Hach-Que

Hach-Que

RoketGames Admin

• 1490 posts

Posted 01 March 2009 - 03:45 AM

Woo! 60460! That would have put me at number 5 on your highscore list (if it was actually submitted there).

I don't visit these forums (and I haven't for quite some time). You can

see my latest community projects at the Redpoint Blog.

I never thought I'd see myself writing the above.. :(

#21 ProgWare

ProgWare

GMC Member

• 150 posts

Posted 15 October 2009 - 11:13 AM

Wow looks like an ATARI 2600 Game
Good game

#22 inarma

inarma

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 599 posts

Posted 07 January 2010 - 12:08 AM

Lol, I don't like it, I kinda suck at it :'(...
Posted Image
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#23 ChaosKnighT

ChaosKnighT

GMC Member

• 342 posts

Posted 07 January 2010 - 12:31 AM

epic bullet hell ;) how are you supposed to get past those super-dense ones?

#24 dadio

dadio

Potato King

• YoYo Games Staff
  • 2740 posts

Posted 07 January 2010 - 02:05 PM

Pretty cool! ;)
Much props for including the source code...
that's interesting to see how ya went about doing it!

(Somehow I never even knew you had made any games.. you've put out some good stuff! & useful code too... fair play!) :GM5:

AczgxAZ.png5aj9t5.jpg

#25 Sulfuric

Sulfuric

Nintendo Worshiper

• 1353 posts

Posted 10 January 2010 - 10:00 PM

Well, it insulted me a lot, now I insult you for giving a really bad "how to play" description. It shows the controls but doesn't say how to get points. I think I understand now (dodge everything and don't kill them unless you need to), but still.

I liked it though. Quite addictive.

Posted Image
Check out my website (above) for finished and upcoming games.
Solar Blue-The Mansion-God's Watch
Note: My name has changed. My old name was STARFOXROX.

#26 commander of games

commander of games

Kaos Kreator

• GMC Member
  • 2883 posts

Posted 17 February 2010 - 10:21 PM

Cool game! I liked it. Though, it took me a while to figure out how to work the menu(you should explain which button selects an option, as it took me a little bit to figure out that you needed to press the A key). But thats about the only downside I experianced, so you get:
8/10 Great game!

InvaderX.gif

#27 illisid

illisid

GMC Member

• 23 posts

Posted 18 February 2010 - 04:55 AM

Oh.
My.
GOD!

I just spent the past hour going through beginner attempts at gamemaker, and was about to give up on finding anything original and well made.

THANK YOU!

There is nothing I can even suggest to improve. So far at least the replays seem accurate. Your style is incredible, I found myself in awe of how smooth the whole thing was. This is definitely a game I will be coming back to play. The only reason I can think someone wouldn't like the game is if, well, they just don't like the game.

I look forward to more projects from you!

#28 blak

blak

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 84 posts

Posted 18 February 2010 - 06:35 PM

I remember this game. It was amazing and addicting.
If I remember correctly, the author said (at least on YYG) that this was actually going to be a "minigame" for a larger shoot'em up game he was making (there was a demo -I think- on YYG and it was terrific!).

Great game anyway :)

#29 Whirligig

Whirligig

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 31 posts

Posted 27 February 2010 - 12:15 AM

LOL, when I first saw the logo I thought it said "The Bile Bullet."
I know what you're thinking. "What a boring signature..."

#30 Kirby

Kirby

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 75 posts

Posted 06 March 2010 - 05:55 AM

Weee, I ranked 17th on my first play XDD

But seriously bro, this game gave me such a thrill, don't remember panicking so much at such an oldschool game XD

#31 Amitc87

Amitc87

GMC Member

• 10 posts

Posted 06 March 2010 - 08:32 PM

The first download link, hosted at WillHostForFood, appears to be down. I downloaded it from the Mirror, but I think you should update the first link, or just remove it.

It was difficult finding out what button to press to select the menu option. It should be changed to the "Enter" key, or you should put a label somewhere explaining to press the letter "A".

The effects were awesome! I liked the level/scene changes of the setting. The music was cool too! The funny "Pathetic!" messages, and others, were a great thing to add.

I think shooting was a bit too easy, I was holding "A" down the whole time, and 90% of my bullets made it, and since shooting was too easy, it was just annoying to have to hold down a key the entire game.

I would rate this game a 7/10 :wub:
Nice old-school arcade game, I really enjoyed it.

#32 Mizuumi

Mizuumi

GMC Member

• 9 posts

Posted 03 April 2010 - 04:06 AM

@whirligig: I thought the same thing XD

@amitc: The idea is to refrain from shooting as long as possible to get the most possible points.

As for me... I still suck at it. :B Trying to get a hang of the time slowing mechanic.
One day, though, I will rise from my status as Retarded Monkey... to that of a normal, fully-functioning monkey!

...yeah, I've never been much good with shmups.
ヽ(´▽`)/

#33 slayer 64

slayer 64

Slayer of gingers

• GMC Member
  • 4301 posts

Posted 24 December 2010 - 04:33 AM

very nice

5y5rs3d.pngfg0UQNL.png