Gamer-Alex

GMC Member

• 135 posts

Posted 27 January 2009 - 06:20 PM

QBioS

GM Version: GM7
File Size: 6.8 MB
Screen Resolution: 640x480 Fullscreen

This is my first platform-shooter game. The platform engine was hell to make, as I didn't know how to make platform games without the use of other people's engines at first, but I found out eventually! ::lmao::

All the graphics were done by me, apart from the QBioS logo on the building at the start, thats cooltext.com!

Controls:

W - Jump
A - Walk left
D - Walk right
S - Go through doors, save game at savepoints and cancel effects of lift.

Left click - Shoot (hold with smg)
Right click - Grenade (range increases as cursor moves away from you)
Numbers 1-4 / Mouse wheel - Change weapon.
P - Pause

Posted Image

Link - QBioS on Yoyogames.com

Have Fun!

Also thanks to Pinpickle for help with alpha; 8-Bit Tonberry for helping fix a glitch; Extreme effects engine and Game cave effects engine for help with particle effects.
A BIIIIIIIG thankyou to chaz13, for providing a very simple to use and manipulate lighting engine!

Edited by Gamer-Alex, 21 February 2009 - 04:10 PM.

#2 Gamer-Alex

Gamer-Alex

GMC Member

• 135 posts

Posted 27 January 2009 - 09:50 PM

Oh...no one ever takes notice of my games/posts...sniff...

#3 king_of_llamas

king_of_llamas

KoL Games

• 1079 posts

Posted 28 January 2009 - 12:09 AM

I know the feeling, downloading now...

edit: Error: not a valid game file

Edited by king_of_llamas, 28 January 2009 - 12:13 AM.

I am looking for team members! See my thread!
http://gmc.yoyogames...howtopic=504050

#4 Gamer-Alex

Gamer-Alex

GMC Member

• 135 posts

Posted 28 January 2009 - 07:11 AM

I know the feeling, downloading now...

edit: Error: not a valid game file

Hmm, how strange. It should work. Have you tried instant play?

#5 king_of_llamas

king_of_llamas

KoL Games

• 1079 posts

Posted 28 January 2009 - 01:43 PM

it WAS instant play.
I am looking for team members! See my thread!
http://gmc.yoyogames...howtopic=504050

#6 Gamer-Alex

Gamer-Alex

GMC Member

• 135 posts

Posted 28 January 2009 - 05:16 PM

it WAS instant play.

O...K....thats weird. Is your computer old? If not, then its the game, but as I said, I checked it lots of times.

#7 griffi

griffi

GMC Member

• 243 posts

Posted 28 January 2009 - 05:53 PM

overall, great game, but a few bugs - can't pick up all grenades, and it won't let me through doors
If i commented your topic, then please return the favour :)
http://gmc.yoyogames...howtopic=428287

#8 Lyndon

Lyndon

GMC Member

• 78 posts

Posted 28 January 2009 - 06:36 PM

Coding works well, everything you have tried to execute in the game seems to work.

The enemies are the most lacking part of the game, they are very uninteractive. They only behave in really unintelligent ways, and the pay off for killing them (animations, sounds, etc) is very unrewarding. Your almost better off just running past them if you want to enjoy the game.

I recommend you think up more strategic ways the enemies might interact with the player and how he can use his mind to come up with creative ways of dispatching them. I also recommend you look into designing some more entertaining death animations and sounds.

Overall, good game, very well put together, just lacking in visual entertainment value, and strategy.

#9 Gamer-Alex

Gamer-Alex

GMC Member

• 135 posts

Posted 28 January 2009 - 08:14 PM

Er...not being able to pick up all grenades is not a bug, it's a cap.

What do you mean by makig the enemies interact more? How would I do it? Any more enemy ideas (please, not too crazy).

I'm thinking of making an enemy that detects the player using a 'view cone' but im not sure how to do this.

Also I've taken out the Day/Night simulator at the start cos loads of things went wrong on the night part.

PLEASE CAN ANY IDEAS FOR IMPROVEMENTS ON THE GAME COME WITH AN EXAMPLE OF HOW TO DO IT

Edited by Gamer-Alex, 28 January 2009 - 09:31 PM.

#10 Gamer-Alex

Gamer-Alex

GMC Member

• 135 posts

Posted 29 January 2009 - 04:34 PM

One, small thing, if you play my game please rate it, as I want a simple idea of how good it is compared to the rest of my games.

Thanks!

#11 Gamer-Alex

Gamer-Alex

GMC Member

• 135 posts

Posted 31 January 2009 - 12:39 PM

~~LEGAL BUMP~~

Please, I need feedback!

#12 Gamer-Alex

Gamer-Alex

GMC Member

• 135 posts

Posted 02 February 2009 - 09:49 PM

I'm making a survival mode for my game, should be ready before the end of the week!

Edited by Gamer-Alex, 10 February 2009 - 08:19 PM.

#13 chaz13

chaz13

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 4214 posts
  • Version:Unknown

Posted 11 February 2009 - 05:02 PM

The graphics were alright, although the walking animation was way too slow and the explosions didn't really fit. There were a few small glitches with the movement and whatnot. It would have looked nicer with interpolation. The gameplay itself was average. It worked reasonably smoothly, but there was not much to actually do. I guess this is just an engine, so I shouldn't be too picky. The music should probably be a bit quieter. There's no story yet, but hopefully there'll be one soon.

Overall, it's nice but rather average. 5.5/10.

#14 Gamer-Alex

Gamer-Alex

GMC Member

• 135 posts

Posted 11 February 2009 - 10:24 PM

Thanks!

What do you mean by interpolation? How do I achieve this? Also, I am going to add a run 'feature' and more weapons. I have also already made more interactive enemies, so the enemies won't just do the same thing all the time! I was wondering about doing lighting effects in the main game as well as survival mode, but seeing as your example is the best one, and it doesn't seem to like me/my game, this is going tto be tricky!

Any suggestions for enemies are welcome! I want to make this game pretty good* so I am going to spend a lot of time on it!

*by my standards :lol: .

#15 Romano

Romano

GMC Member

• 675 posts

Posted 11 February 2009 - 11:47 PM

Graphics: horrible. I mean everybody can see that grays are ugly and dull, and you used grays all over the place. They dont attract the eye at all. The character was fine, the enemies looked a bit dumb. Use more brighter colours, I know they dont fit into what you probably want but you need to use more dominant colours in your graphics. If this game was not fullscreen, everything would look better. The backgrounds are terrible. The effects were alright but I saw you used normal sprites for blood and particles for explosions, etc. I wouldnt do that, Id try and make the blood with particles if possible?

Gameplay: I found it fun, but there were tons of annoying things. For example, the damage system is stupid, touching enemy and losing hp over time? Hated it. The mouse wheel thing was a bit buggy and the camera things dont die so easy... I mean 5 sniper shots to destroy it? :S Grenades had a few bugs, jumping all over the room and sliding when they werent supposed to. Regardless of that, I found it fun. The tutorial was a bit boring tho.

Sound: The in-game song is annoying. Not only did I hear it before tons of times, it hurts my head even now. Furthermore, I think your game is 20MB because of this stupid song. Lose it.

Problem: Your game seems legit and professional in terms of gameplay yet the graphics place your game so far behind. Improve graphics, fix bugs and your on your way.

Overall: Good game, needs improvement tho.

Im off to continue playing. BB.

Edited by Romano, 11 February 2009 - 11:48 PM.

#16 Gamer-Alex

Gamer-Alex

GMC Member

• 135 posts

Posted 12 February 2009 - 04:41 PM

Thanks for the review.

I know, the graphics are terrible, mainly because I made them :)

I'm adding more effects, basically the first levels up to the bit where the screen goes red are all going to be in complete darkness, and there will be blood on the walls ;)

I'm keeping the blood how it is, I like the balls, they're like family to me...almost...

There are going to be more enemies and I'm working on the camera things.

Sorry, about the greys though, I only used them because it's inside a boring looking techy building, so jigsaw patterns on the wall, for example, probably wouldn't fit.

But thanks for the review nonetheless. I prefer harsh comments, they make me think more about who will be playing the game, and what i can impreove. A Detailed harsh review is better than "Good but could be better" or "Terrible".

#17 Gamer-Alex

Gamer-Alex

GMC Member

• 135 posts

Posted 19 February 2009 - 11:19 PM

<BUMP>

#18 may0004

may0004

GMC Member

• 221 posts

Posted 20 February 2009 - 10:47 AM

i liked it but the gray graphis wern't that great and the enemies were kinda boring, the best piece of advice i can give at the moment is :

Ditch the music or at least get the overall size below 10mb, think of the people with dial-up ,i'm not one of them but they are there.

It was fun and i might play it again.

Atarian
If you want help adjusting or optimizing your code, comment it so i can tell what you are trying to do at all times!!!!!
If I Helped You At Any Time Please Post A Review Of My Music Composition Software Which Is Being Made In Game Maker

<span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%'>Fully-Featured Sci-Fi Tactical Real Time Strategy Game</span>

#19 Gamer-Alex

Gamer-Alex

GMC Member

• 135 posts

Posted 20 February 2009 - 11:21 PM

I've taken your advice. The music is now rotting away in one of my music folders, it'll probably not be used again.
The music is now all midi, which has decreased the file size by about 20 mb. The music will not stay as it is, I am on the lookout for new music that will suit the game properly. This music is temporary. I've also ditched the splashscreen as it messed up the story (the text would warp out of the screen for some reason).

Please rate, comment, review and ,of course, enjoy!