#51 Holy Fruit

Holy Fruit

GMC Member

• 254 posts

Posted 05 March 2009 - 02:41 PM

the game is awesome i like it :blink:
5/5 from me
but i didnt managed to play longer than 15 minutes maybe.. =(
i dont have motivation to play right now,but when i feel like playing some hard levels i'll play it,maybe when im hi

Edited by Holy Fruit, 05 March 2009 - 02:45 PM.

reality is not solid

#52 illisid

illisid

GMC Member

• 23 posts

Posted 08 March 2009 - 07:39 PM

NOTICE: Descent has been updated. (v3 is out)

I managed to scrounge up a bunch of different little fixes...

I downloaded it and it looks the same to me... perhaps you uploaded the wrong version?

#53 Spydog

Spydog

I Am Me.

• GMC Member
  • 434 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 11 March 2009 - 12:29 AM

Heh...I discovered the good ending almost as soon as I started. (At least, I think that's what it was...) Interesting dialogue - it reminds me of GLaDOS. I'd give the game a good 8/10.

College-aged game developer.

Guess what? I'm on Twitter! You can follow me! @TheSpydog
And I might even follow you too!

#54 Alex Muncatchy

Alex Muncatchy

GMC Member

• 1168 posts

Posted 11 March 2009 - 04:42 AM

great game.
hard, but fun.
graphics are nice, sounds are fitting.
Good work!
I'm not dead.
Releasing demo soon-ish.
game 4 years in the making.

#55 Arkatox

Arkatox

GMC Member

• 52 posts

Posted 12 March 2009 - 02:15 PM

I got to the bottom, then back up, and then it made the guy kill me.

I went back at the beginning, and then a fatal error appeared saying it was trying to draw a nonexisting sprite.

I don't like this game very much, but I like your other games (aka Visit and Visit II: Dark Tower).

#56 cool_manga_boy

cool_manga_boy

GMC Member

• 87 posts

Posted 03 April 2009 - 04:37 AM

I'm happy to say that I'm going to be turning the wheels back on for this again. I plan to have another major update that has one more very SPECIAL cave, as well as a playability test with some checkpoints.

I'm also going to ATTEMPT to code for some online highscoring (best times in the caves), but I need to get some sort of direction. Does anyone have a recommendation for where I should start on this? (As far as I know, I need to learn PHP and MySQL, both of which I've never tried before. :) )

Now all I have to do is get off my lazy behind. <_<

NOTE
It's also come to my attention that a fix I claimed to have fixed isn't in the newest version (the missing walls in cave 3).

I also want to thank everyone for their great comments as well!

I hope to update within a couple of weeks.
!NEW! [ Thunder Gun ]

[ Visit ] - [ VISIT 2 ] - [ Wave Shock ] - [ Mind Shock ] - [ I.C.E. ] - [ Enigma ] - [ Descent ]

Myspace: Rotten Taters [Ted] | FaceBook: Ted Lauterbach

#57 Obj_Control

Obj_Control

GM Mentor

• 2561 posts

Posted 03 April 2009 - 04:50 AM

I'm happy to say that I'm going to be turning the wheels back on for this again. I plan to have another major update that has one more very SPECIAL cave, as well as a playability test with some checkpoints.

I'm also going to ATTEMPT to code for some online highscoring (best times in the caves), but I need to get some sort of direction. Does anyone have a recommendation for where I should start on this? (As far as I know, I need to learn PHP and MySQL, both of which I've never tried before. :) )

Now all I have to do is get off my lazy behind. <_<

NOTE
It's also come to my attention that a fix I claimed to have fixed isn't in the newest version (the missing walls in cave 3).

I also want to thank everyone for their great comments as well!

I hope to update within a couple of weeks.

There are extensions and DLLs preset to do online scoring for you. They show the scores on their site, and provide the HTML code for your own.

#58 Mailas

Mailas

Send in the Mail

• GMC Member
  • 5900 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 04 April 2009 - 08:15 PM

Very interesting. My best was 157Metres. Well done!
5/5 for sure!

omQasih.jpg

#59 Patmania

Patmania

GMC Member

• 5 posts

Posted 05 April 2009 - 07:34 AM

Very impressive. The music suits it great and it had me playing for about half an hour.

8/10.

#60 Jaraguala

Jaraguala

GMC Member

• 1 posts

Posted 30 May 2009 - 12:33 PM

NOTICE: Descent has been updated. (v3 is out)

I managed to scrounge up a bunch of different little fixes, and even added the bonus of:
A Blur Filter
Bouncy Death (!)
Pixel measurements converted to Meters
Missing wall fixes
Elimination of 1337 speak elements / PG - atized some of Evil's 'dirty' dialog.

Currently, as my last post said, I'm considering lengthing the 3rd cave as well as adding more.

Thanks everyone! Hope to hear from you guys soon!

Great game, however I'm disappointed with most of the changes you've made in this latest - especially toning down the language. I enjoyed that, as well as the pixellated style of the text. I deleted the old version I had, thinking that this version would be an improvement, however it does not even run smoothly on my system any more, due to the blur filter.

Could you provide a link to the previous version, if possible?

Thank you.

#61 moldy_tomato

moldy_tomato

GMC Member

• 1 posts

Posted 01 February 2010 - 12:25 PM

When I started playing this, the first thing I thought was that this reminds me of Virtanen's Seven Minutes, so I went left. :medieval:
I was sure that this game was inspired by Seven Minutes, but apparently that isn't the case?

#62 Obj_Control

Obj_Control

GM Mentor

• 2561 posts

Posted 02 February 2010 - 12:52 AM

My favorite GM game of all time. Now I'm hooked again and cannot beat the first level.

#63 cheeserules

cheeserules

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 570 posts

Posted 02 February 2010 - 02:53 AM

Fantastic game! I managed to beat the first cave (when you go down), but I'm stuck on the "eternal life" one...anyways, it's insanely addictive!!!! I NEED TO BEAT THAT CAVE!!!!
*goes back and plays some more*
SOMETHING WITTY!

#64 Lithium

Lithium

Spitfire Member

• GMC Member
  • 1477 posts
  • Version:Unknown

Posted 02 February 2010 - 04:11 AM

Hey Ted

If I hold DOWN + LEFT my computer won't let me press Z. It starts to beep and cuss at me.

Would you mind assigning one more key to "jump"? A modifier key preferably (CTRL perhaps?), as those always work regardless of which other keys you're holding.

This game is tough. The last thing I need is control issues :)
Thanks.

Buy a USB keyboard. I realise that this is an old post, just something you should all do if you get problems like this.

Edited by Lithium, 02 February 2010 - 04:12 AM.

E1JdWqS.png

FCO now in Alpha testing phase

http://fco2.forumotion.cc/

#65 King Chubbles

King Chubbles

GMC Member

• 1052 posts

Posted 03 February 2010 - 12:32 AM

May be an old game, but in case hes watching:

HOLY CRAP! LOVED IT!
Posted Image

#66 brod

brod

Brian RODriguez

• GMC Member
  • 2050 posts
  • Version:GM8

Posted 28 February 2010 - 07:13 PM

The first area was very easy, since I'm used to tough platformers, but the second one was unforgiving. Admittedly, while playing this game in the middle of the night, and having just gotten to the bottom of the pit, I felt my heart stop for a second :)

Very fun, very addicting, etc. etc. I beat the second area after about 30 tries, but I'm stuck on the 3rd one. Not b/c it's hard.. but b/c there's no exit o_o

nvm, beat them all! take that floating ghost head!

Edited by brod, 28 February 2010 - 07:58 PM.

#67 rotten_tater

rotten_tater

GMC Member

• 8 posts

Posted 28 February 2010 - 08:29 PM

I've fixed some broken links and moved the game out of 'beta' on the yoyogames website, so it should now be searchable. Thank you everyone for your continued support on the game!

(i'm also better known as rotten_tater on the forums, as i really have no desire to go by cool_manga_boy anymore :) )
!NEW! [ Vatn Squid ]

COMPLETE
[ Visit ] - [ VISIT 2 ] - [ Wave Shock ] - [ Mind Shock ] - [ I.C.E. ] -[ Thunder Gun ] - [ Fetus ] - [ Super Space Rogues ]
WIPS
[ suteF ] - [ Descent ]
Abandoned
[ Enigma ]

Web: Rotten Tater | FaceBook: Ted Lauterbach

#68 Vile Smile

Vile Smile

Oh, Outrageous!

• GMC Member
  • 553 posts
  • Version:GM7

Posted 01 March 2010 - 01:32 AM

This game is amazing! My heart literally pounded in my chest as I raced to the top!

I beat the part where you go to the bottom, disobeying the thing, then return to the top. However, I'm stuck at the part where you listen to the thing. At about 180 meters, all the platforms have spikes on them, thus blocking my path. Is there a way to get by them?

All in all, awesome work! :)

10/10

Edited by Vile Smile, 01 March 2010 - 01:33 AM.

banner-1.png

#69 B Factory LLC

B Factory LLC

We're awesome!!

• 511 posts

Posted 01 March 2010 - 01:48 AM

FUUUUNNNNN......... Love the music.

5/5. Beginning was wierd, but once the lava started rising it was AWESOME! The drama was intense!

WWWOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!

If you are neutral in situations of injustice, you have chosen the side of the oppressor. If an elephant has its foot on the tail of a mouse and you say that you are neutral, the mouse will not

appreciate your neutrality.

Posted Image

Anti-Wikileaks Bill introduced in US Congress! (When the giant is mad, it hits hard...)

"So this is how liberty dies. With thunderous applause." - Padme

"The ruling class has the schools and press under its thumb. This enables it to sway the emotions of the masses." - Albert Einstein

Please check out my blog: My link

#70 skunkchop

skunkchop

GMC Member

• 381 posts

Posted 12 March 2010 - 03:07 AM

Sometimes, when the game gets reloaded, the screen shows a LOT more tiles.
When this happened, I walked until the escape sequence would begin, and I got this error:
ERROR in
action number 1
of Draw Event
for object obj_scale:

Trying to draw non-existing sprite.
This didn't happen when the screen was sized regularly.

Anyway, I will continue to play this game. This is probably the scariest game I've ever played. A great mix between the atmosphere of Portal and the sense of wonder in Motherload. I am very curious and I will keep going...

Edited by skunkchop, 12 March 2010 - 03:43 AM.

#71 skunkchop

skunkchop

GMC Member

• 381 posts

Posted 12 March 2010 - 03:39 AM

I have a feeling nobody actually beat the game. :)
The secret of this game is too good for me to reveal, so I removed the text from my previous post. <--- NEVERMIND, I READ THE ABOVE POSTS
The escape sequence everyone has been playing is a joke, I'll leave it at that.
Anyway, I got to 52 meters. I seriously don't know how to get any higher. PLEASE give me a hint, rotten_tater. It was the part with the spring and the opening at the left of it. The spring takes me NOWHERE, and the opening leads me to a ledge that I can't reach.
Incidentally, I figured out the secret as soon as I started playing the game.

EDIT: Alright, I figured it out. I pressed F1 for help and had no idea there was a higher jump.
Anyway, the problem I outlined in my previous post(the screen being zoomed-out) happens EVERY time in the third area. Thus, I can't get any farther. However, the game is amazing and I'll be dumbfounded if it doesn't get into the Hall of Fame. It's better than most Hall of Fame games.
The music, atmosphere, and the "earthquake" effect combine to make the most intense feeling in a game ever.
I will probably get a chance to beat the game whenever I will be using a different computer.

Edited by skunkchop, 12 March 2010 - 05:38 AM.

#72 Myname

Myname

GMC Member

• 413 posts

Posted 12 March 2010 - 09:16 PM

FML, after 30 + tries I finally got it in 2:09 and then it says Total Failure.

Then I go back to the start and just turn around at the beginning and he says : "You actually listened!"
I didn't have to go through all the work D:

#73 Imadjinni

Imadjinni

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 48 posts

Posted 14 March 2010 - 10:46 PM

81m. Just got too close. Would have done it the first time, but caught the little hanging bit.

Was messed up at the bottom. >.<

Got a big Seven Minutes vibe from this.

It is delicious game.

#74 Myname

Myname

GMC Member

• 413 posts

Posted 27 March 2010 - 02:43 PM

Yes!!
Woot I finally beat the game!!
Posted Image

#75 skunkchop

skunkchop

GMC Member

• 381 posts

Posted 03 April 2010 - 03:13 PM

I got a new laptop, and it managed to run the game perfectly. I beat it pretty easily. I even beat it a second time just to make sure I didn't miss a secret patch near the end. Not really that hard after beating IWBTFG on Very Hard, but my heart still pounded like crazy. It goes to show how well the game was made to be intense.
I can't help but feel that there was some hidden moral in the game... Who was that floating head, and WHAT WAS HE TALKING ABOUT?
I'm guessing the first route is a joke route, and none of what he says is supposed to make sense.
But the monologues from the other two routes seemed like they meant something...
"It's always taken lava to make you move."
"You've been in my caves for decades."
"You finally listened."
"Just like old times, Blue."
Can you shed any light on this, Tater?

#76 deathzero021

deathzero021

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 785 posts
  • Version:GM8.1

Posted 03 April 2010 - 04:00 PM

graphics were great. the beginning is far too slow. i don't want to have to go all the way down there just to do the one thing this game offers, running from lava. you should just be able to start at the bottom. no way im taking another 10 mins to get to the bottom just to die 2mins after the lava starts.

also the FPS gets pretty slow in some areas, it gets annoying having to deal with random speed changes. ~3/5~

#77 skunkchop

skunkchop

GMC Member

• 381 posts

Posted 09 April 2010 - 03:42 AM

Death, you're don't seem to be good at obeying the game's instruction. :D
Try doing something... else.

#78 brod

brod

Brian RODriguez

• GMC Member
  • 2050 posts
  • Version:GM8

Posted 09 April 2010 - 12:18 PM

First area where you have to go down then back up is totally different from the other two areas. So it's best to try all of them.

#79 skeme23

skeme23

GMC Member

• 50 posts

Posted 20 August 2010 - 05:56 AM

crazy game! and i love it!
very professionally executed my friend.