GMC Member

• 87 posts

Posted 26 January 2009 - 04:47 AM

Descent
A game by Ted Lauterbach (rotten_tater)

Posted Image

| DOWNLOAD | INSTANT PLAY |

Old Version (v1-Host A Hosting; 6.3 mb)

(Please let me know if instant play is being stupid, I apparently can't update the version I play)
Size: 5.2 mb
Window: 640 x 480
Opens in Fullscreen: No (Fullscreen is available; F4)
Resolution Change: No

INFORMATION

A short game that is EXTREMELY hard, and purposely so. I wanted to create a VERY intense experience with this one.

The object is to escape. Plain and simple.

CONTROLS

[Arrows] ------------- Move
[Z] or [Ctrl]--------- Jump
[Z] or [Ctrl] in Air - Air Jump
[Down + Z] ----------- Spring Jump
[Left/Right] --------- Grab Ledge

[F1] ----------------- Displays Help File
[F4] ----------------- Enter/Exit Fullscreen Mode

UPDATES FROM v1
-Death sequence
-Victory sequence
-Leave Early sequence
-Updated music; 2 songs fade/grow dependant on distance to lava
-Dynamic Lava (follows you, slows down when near)
-Game completable
-Depth Indicator (stores best depth)
-Tiles Updated
-Falling Rock Particles Added
-Alternate jump key (Ctrl)
-Shaved off 1mb of filesize!!
-Probably a bunch of other stuff I forgot...

FUN FACTS

I FIRST created this game in less than a week of collective work (on and off for about a month or two). It's engine is from a platforming idea I had about 6 months ago, and has evolved into what you see in about a month of total work.
I was inspired by Portal, as well as crazy things those guys in Mondo Medicals/Agency always say.
The difficulty in Cactus's games inspired my game's difficulty. It almost requires a PERFECT run to complete.

If you have any comments, questions, or concerns, you know what to do.

Thanks VERY much everyone,
Ted

Edited by cool_manga_boy, 28 February 2010 - 08:25 PM.

!NEW! [ Thunder Gun ]

[ Visit ] - [ VISIT 2 ] - [ Wave Shock ] - [ Mind Shock ] - [ I.C.E. ] - [ Enigma ] - [ Descent ]

Myspace: Rotten Taters [Ted] | FaceBook: Ted Lauterbach

#2 Alpha Man

Alpha Man

Game Maker Community

• 258 posts

Posted 26 January 2009 - 05:26 AM

Reminds me a lot of The Killing Game Show/Fatal Rewind, one of my favorite games.

However...

About a minute or so after the lava started rising, I pressed Escape as quick as I could because it was too scary. Much unlike The Killing Game Show, this is not a very happy game! In fact it was downright freaky. I couldn't handle it. The Escape button was my only way back to reality.

This isn't very constructive. I know. But I'm just telling you; It freaked me out. There's no telling what that odd looking smiley face was going to do to me. And I had no clue if I was doing the right things while going back up.

I might open it up and play it later... But I'd like to continue being able to go to sleep decently at nighttime.

#3 tamper2

tamper2

GMC Member

• 369 posts

Posted 26 January 2009 - 11:08 AM

Very wierd game.
As Alpha Man said, It's very creepy, and it freaked me out.
At first I didn't understand what I had to do, so I just went down, and then I kept dying, so I quit :unsure:
I really don't get this game.
But it kept me going, as it got me curious, 3/5.
Tamper :P

Edited by tamper2, 26 January 2009 - 11:09 AM.

#4 Zccc

Zccc

GMC Member

• 392 posts

Posted 26 January 2009 - 07:10 PM

What an awsome game! It's so smooth.

First of all, I read those commentarys and I tough "Just give it a quick look... I don't like scary games..." but then, the game gave that humorous climax, of me ignoring that guys's orders. Laughed at his commentaries. The only thing that scared me were the expectation that the game would be scary.

In the lava part, the game started, but I couldn't follow the pace. I'm not too good on speedruns, and the game didn't allowed me to fail a jump, even once! It's really INTENSE. But I love the game, nonetheless.

Graphics are retro, and are amazing, gameplay fits, sounds fits. The music in the lava part could be a bit more dramatic and harder (idk the proper word).

Keep this game up, soon, youtube will be full of videos showing the speedrun times.

#5 cool_manga_boy

cool_manga_boy

GMC Member

• 87 posts

Posted 26 January 2009 - 10:20 PM

Reminds me a lot of The Killing Game Show/Fatal Rewind, one of my favorite games.

However...

About a minute or so after the lava started rising, I pressed Escape as quick as I could because it was too scary. Much unlike The Killing Game Show, this is not a very happy game! In fact it was downright freaky. I couldn't handle it. The Escape button was my only way back to reality.

This isn't very constructive. I know. But I'm just telling you; It freaked me out. There's no telling what that odd looking smiley face was going to do to me. And I had no clue if I was doing the right things while going back up.

I might open it up and play it later... But I'd like to continue being able to go to sleep decently at nighttime.

Very wierd game.
As Alpha Man said, It's very creepy, and it freaked me out.
At first I didn't understand what I had to do, so I just went down, and then I kept dying, so I quit ::lmao::
I really don't get this game.
But it kept me going, as it got me curious, 3/5.
Tamper :)

Wow, I never thought that Descent would be considered this scary. It wasn't my intention to be scary, but I guess that could help make it more intense.

Would you guys have any suggestions to help the game make more sense, because I noticed you mentioned this, tamper2?

What an awsome game! It's so smooth.

First of all, I read those commentarys and I tough "Just give it a quick look... I don't like scary games..." but then, the game gave that humorous climax, of me ignoring that guys's orders. Laughed at his commentaries. The only thing that scared me were the expectation that the game would be scary.

In the lava part, the game started, but I couldn't follow the pace. I'm not too good on speedruns, and the game didn't allowed me to fail a jump, even once! It's really INTENSE. But I love the game, nonetheless.

Graphics are retro, and are amazing, gameplay fits, sounds fits. The music in the lava part could be a bit more dramatic and harder (idk the proper word).

Keep this game up, soon, youtube will be full of videos showing the speedrun times.

Thank you very much Zccc! I'm really glad you liked it. I almost feel bad that I made this SUCH a hard game...
I really want to make the song more dramatic, but do you think that means the attitude of the song has to be more shocking or have more weirdness overall? I also thought of this: What way could I con the player into thinking this game is REALLY scary, like what you experienced, but in game?

Thank you guys, I really appreciate these comments!
!NEW! [ Thunder Gun ]

[ Visit ] - [ VISIT 2 ] - [ Wave Shock ] - [ Mind Shock ] - [ I.C.E. ] - [ Enigma ] - [ Descent ]

#6 DarkFalzX

DarkFalzX

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 484 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 27 January 2009 - 05:12 AM

Umm... This was really cool! I loved the premise. The actual platforming was a bit insane - I got frustrated after about ten minutes of dying in the same spot. Very good idea and the atmosphere, though I would prefer something other than lava - maybe some fast-moving creatures/mutants, or darkness or something else more mysterious.

Edited by DarkFalzX, 27 January 2009 - 05:14 AM.

HW5P7IN.png and iOdNkOP.png

#7 tamper2

tamper2

GMC Member

• 369 posts

Posted 27 January 2009 - 02:19 PM

I thought the game was so weird because you just appear, and you start going down, and theres a wierd brown thing that tells you that your going to die.
So, the game was scary because you kept expecting that something will happen as Zccc said.
I don't really have any suggestions for the game, because I think you can release it like this ::lmao::
Some people won't like it, but most will respond like us, that it was creepy, yet really cool, and makes you want to keep on going.
Very good job on the game overall.
Tamper :)

#8 general sirhc

general sirhc

Dream Big, Act Small

• GMC Member
  • 1667 posts

Posted 27 January 2009 - 03:57 PM

I got to the bottom then to lava got me =(

Lol if people find this scary you need to get out the house less and watch horror movies! (thats right I said get out the house less .. stupid people and living their lives >.>)

Chears to the game

PS:
The cliff hanging confused me at first but afterwards it was awesome

Edited by general sirhc, 27 January 2009 - 03:58 PM.

qs8ZFMQ.png?1

#9 weirdo_studios

weirdo_studios

GMC Member

• 174 posts

Posted 27 January 2009 - 06:37 PM

impressive a bit to hard for me, maybe you could add a (automatic)dificulty option after the player has died 10 times or something slowing down the lava by 10%(for example)

the intense song is good i like it, the graphics are simple but fitting everything fits together nicely good job

#10 BlackSoljah

BlackSoljah

GMC Member

• 8 posts

Posted 27 January 2009 - 07:25 PM

I should of listened to the brown thing. Anyways great game.

#11 cool_manga_boy

cool_manga_boy

GMC Member

• 87 posts

Posted 29 January 2009 - 05:35 PM

It seems to me that the lava IS simply too difficult. I'm definitely considering lowering the difficulty of the lava, or making it much more variable and dynamic. I also wanted to put in traps. Maybe. But I was planning on the 'ghost' being MUCH more of a distraction too.

Thanks everyone! I can't wait to hear what else you guys have to say.
!NEW! [ Thunder Gun ]

#12 clystron

clystron

GMC Member

• 269 posts

Posted 03 February 2009 - 02:27 PM

Hey Ted

If I hold DOWN + LEFT my computer won't let me press Z. It starts to beep and cuss at me.

Would you mind assigning one more key to "jump"? A modifier key preferably (CTRL perhaps?), as those always work regardless of which other keys you're holding.

This game is tough. The last thing I need is control issues :D
Thanks.

#13 Romano

Romano

GMC Member

• 675 posts

Posted 03 February 2009 - 08:15 PM

Its alright, but Im not hyped up over it like everyone here. Its simple, its not much more than a storyline which doesnt make much sense. I didnt find it scary, or intense, sometimes simply annoying and boring.

But meh Id give it an 8/10 considering its a WIP

#14 The Pizza Boy

The Pizza Boy

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 61 posts

Posted 13 February 2009 - 04:50 PM

Managed to complete after about 30 minutes of trying.

Very intense game. The only part that regularly messed me up was the jump near the top where you have to jump into a 1 block wide gap, I kept getting caught here.

I think you should show the total time when the player reaches the top.

Also, just to prove I beat it, here's the last thing he says:

-SPOILER-
Bout time you got the hell out.
-SPOILER-

I enjoy hard games like this. This is the first game that was really intense that I have played since I Wanna Be The Guy.

EDIT- I just found the secret tunnel. The first time I beat this, I did it without the shortcut. I suggest removing it, makes it harder.

Edited by The Pizza Boy, 13 February 2009 - 10:23 PM.

#15 SAS Falcon

SAS Falcon

GMC Member

• 265 posts

Posted 14 February 2009 - 11:27 AM

YEA! Got past it after about 20 or so tries. It was really annoying because i died at one point on the spikes right next to the exit.
I wouldn't say it's scary, but it does have a creepy feeling to it at the beginning. And it is hard to me, but addictive.
There is a small bug in the area where it is like an upside down U and there is two springs at each end, with spikes on the top. I wall grabbed where i don't think i should have.

I would say good job on this game <_< 9/10

#16 thetagames

thetagames

Informatikmeister

• GMC Member
  • 1005 posts

Posted 14 February 2009 - 05:51 PM

Okay, I really like this game - it's simple, but artistically done, and very intense. I would suggest changing the title, though - there is already a pretty popular game series from the mid-nineties called Descent.

#17 chaz13

chaz13

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 4214 posts
  • Version:Unknown

Posted 14 February 2009 - 07:17 PM

I really like it. The graphics and engine are nice and smooth, and everything works well together. I found it quite ahrd though, and didn't complete it. I love the laval effect.

#18 Obj_Control

Obj_Control

GM Mentor

• 2561 posts

Posted 14 February 2009 - 07:43 PM

Gasp. That was so worth it! One of the best short GM games I've ever played. I died after he says "I thought you liked spikes".
And I totally saw the d*ck before him >.> .

Graphics - The graphic style really fit the game. They really complimented the rush...
Effects - The text and the other person both looked creepy.
Game Play - The game play was pretty slow at first, then it sped up, and slowed down again...
Controls - Not much to say. They were very classic, and easy to use.
Sound - The music was entertaining, the voice was creepy, and the final BGM really added to the rush.
Overall - the game was great. At some points it would slow down, but not too much.

I say, this was very good. You should make it longer and maybe add a story.

Story Idea

There was a well in the peaceful town you lived in, and people would not drink it's water because it was said to be cursed lava. You meet a friend who convinces you to explore the well. The deeper you go the less he resembles human. After no time, he becomes a monster (the thing that talks) and begins acting crazy...

EDIT!: I got to "yeah. your dead how'd you do it?"

Edited by Obj_Control, 14 February 2009 - 07:57 PM.

#19 cool_manga_boy

cool_manga_boy

GMC Member

• 87 posts

Posted 14 February 2009 - 11:05 PM

Wow, thanks guys! I really glad everybody's enjoying this.

I wanted to post because I've been adding A LOT to this in the last couple of weeks, and I thought it was about time I shared. I've totally updated the tilesets that you see, and have made the lava much more dynamic. There's also a new depth-indicator.

Tell me what you guys think:

BEFORE
Posted Image

AFTER
Posted Image

I plan on updating the game soon once I get the music fixed and add on some more other minute things.

Thanks again everybody!
!NEW! [ Thunder Gun ]

#20 Obj_Control

Obj_Control

GM Mentor

• 2561 posts

Posted 14 February 2009 - 11:51 PM

I beat it... Three tries, had to jump not to get hit though...

#21 rogasoukidan

rogasoukidan

GMC Member

• 77 posts

Posted 15 February 2009 - 12:06 AM

oh man this game was great
i keep getting about half way up but its so intense i wind up freezing and dying oh man

great experience though
its not scary but it really gets your adrenaline pumping
great job on this
10/10 i love everything about it

#22 gamewizkid

gamewizkid

GMC Member

• 436 posts

Posted 15 February 2009 - 04:39 PM

This game was HELL. (Literally).

I like it. But you can't win if you get to the top.
Imagine a large mansion. And imagine that it has light, reflected off of the very large moon at night. Now imagine rain. Rain, rain, rain, rain, rain. Now imagine a light flickering in one or two of the windows of the mansion. And finally, imagine a cinder block and some sort of burnt trophy, laid on the side of the house; pieces of broken metal and wiring is twisted over and under them. Then imagine that the flickering lights turn off. Now the moon turns off. Did you like that? go here to read the full story...and PM me about it if you liked or didn't like it...

#23 ydawg314

ydawg314

GMC Member

• 901 posts

Posted 15 February 2009 - 04:57 PM

I say you make the lava look more hot:
  • add fire
  • dont make the lava as see through
  • make it look like its boiling

other than that I loved this game. Also great work on your other games :whistle:
Also the sound was on point the whole time. Maybe you could add a heartbeat sound that gets louder/faster whenever the lava gets closer.

Edited by ydawg314, 15 February 2009 - 05:01 PM.

Check out my newest game Redesigned from scratch!
Posted Image
Download Mobile Suit Grunt Wars.zip W.I.P 7-26
TEST YOUR MECH PILOTING SKILLS!!!
Spoiler

#24 cool_manga_boy

cool_manga_boy

GMC Member

• 87 posts

Posted 15 February 2009 - 06:58 PM

GAME UPDATED

I've taken A LOT of what you guys have mentioned into account for this update. There's so much I've fixed, and I hope this is as much fun for you guys to play as it was for me to make! :whistle:

The first post should mention everything I've fixed and updated, as well as a the newest version!

Thanks again,
Ted

Edited by cool_manga_boy, 15 February 2009 - 07:36 PM.

!NEW! [ Thunder Gun ]

#25 Verruckt

Verruckt

GMC Member

• 54 posts

Posted 15 February 2009 - 08:02 PM

Everything in the game has a fairly professional feel to it, except a little bit of the dialogue. I personally believe it'd sound much better (and creepier) if you canned anything remotely sounding like 1337 speak (was the monster a nerd in a previous life? Heh.) Also the music as you're going down doesn't loop so well, which is a little bit annoying.

As for the extremely punishing gameplay, IMO it gets old fast, mostly due to having to play the same first parts (of ascending) over and over. Maybe I'm just not as masochistic as anyone who might enjoy dying a thousand times to beat it. I believe it'd work out much more fun if there were a few checkpoints, so you're not putting your fist through your monitor when screwing up towards the end. And then to counter the addition of checkpoints, make the game even harder (with even more gameplay elements other than spikes and lava) and possibly longer.

The addition of checkpoints might sound like the devil for a game you're trying to make as intense as possible, but then you're really just trading fun for frustration (due to having to play those same ascending parts over and over again). Perhaps not use my checkpoint idea (there's probably better ways), but if you're good enough you'll create an intense game that isn't frustrating or repetitive - which should certainly be your ultimate goal.

#26 ydawg314

ydawg314

GMC Member

• 901 posts

Posted 15 February 2009 - 08:22 PM

It still doesnt seem hot. Have you ever played gears of war? Towards the end when you go underground you run into what they call emulsion. What ever it is (lava?) it looks real hot like it radiates heat and light.
Posted Image
this is what you should do for you game.
Check out my newest game Redesigned from scratch!
Posted Image
Download Mobile Suit Grunt Wars.zip W.I.P 7-26
TEST YOUR MECH PILOTING SKILLS!!!
Spoiler

#27 cool_manga_boy

cool_manga_boy

GMC Member

• 87 posts

Posted 17 February 2009 - 04:03 AM

Everything in the game has a fairly professional feel to it, except a little bit of the dialogue. I personally believe it'd sound much better (and creepier) if you canned anything remotely sounding like 1337 speak (was the monster a nerd in a previous life? Heh.) Also the music as you're going down doesn't loop so well, which is a little bit annoying.

As for the extremely punishing gameplay, IMO it gets old fast, mostly due to having to play the same first parts (of ascending) over and over. Maybe I'm just not as masochistic as anyone who might enjoy dying a thousand times to beat it. I believe it'd work out much more fun if there were a few checkpoints, so you're not putting your fist through your monitor when screwing up towards the end. And then to counter the addition of checkpoints, make the game even harder (with even more gameplay elements other than spikes and lava) and possibly longer.

The addition of checkpoints might sound like the devil for a game you're trying to make as intense as possible, but then you're really just trading fun for frustration (due to having to play those same ascending parts over and over again). Perhaps not use my checkpoint idea (there's probably better ways), but if you're good enough you'll create an intense game that isn't frustrating or repetitive - which should certainly be your ultimate goal.

The only time I can really think of when 'evil' uses 1337 speak is when he activates the lava... but yes, that would definately help serious him up a bit. But I can't help but think that it's basicly part of his character. There is A LOT more going on below the surface of the game. If you've 'beaten' the first area, it may make more sense. The answer is really inobvious and cruel...and was part of my goal for the game.

The gameplay may get repetitive, and that's definately something I should improve. I agree with you that checkpoints are too easy of a way out, and I suppose I'll have to think on this for a while. Not sure...

I'm very appreciative of your GREAT and in depth reply.
I'm also very curious, did you get to see the credits? :(

It still doesnt seem hot. Have you ever played gears of war? Towards the end when you go underground you run into what they call emulsion. What ever it is (lava?) it looks real hot like it radiates heat and light.
-=*A lovely image from Gears of War*=-
this is what you should do for you game.

Yes, I've been delighted with many a play of Gears. The 'emulsion' (?) never really felt that hot to me when I played Gears, but I guess that's a matter of opinion or something. I don't know if you've played Visit II, but the lava in that seems closer to what you're talking about... I'm definately thinking that may be an alternative, but I'm really worried about sacrificing the 'style' of the game. I really felt I was taking a dive when I updated the tileset.

-EDIT-
Oh yes, forgot to mention that I discluded a blur filter that I applied over the screen that gave an illusion of extreme heat when you got too close to the lava. It was killing too much CPU though, and I had to can it for the update.

Edited by cool_manga_boy, 17 February 2009 - 04:07 AM.

!NEW! [ Thunder Gun ]

#28 Wheres my legs?

Wheres my legs?

GMC Member

• 9 posts

Posted 17 February 2009 - 05:32 AM

This is pretty cool. I'm not going to just repeat what everyone else has said, so
{everything obj_control said}.
Well done!

#29 Andrew Brophy

Andrew Brophy

Andrew Brophy

• GMC Member
  • 668 posts
  • Version:None

Posted 17 February 2009 - 07:33 AM

This is actually one of my favourite WIP's at the moment.
I'm curious about something though, what are you using surfaces for in this?
The motion blur effect that the evil monster thing has?

#30 IQbrew

IQbrew

Pro-Grammar

• Banned Users
  • 2607 posts

Posted 17 February 2009 - 07:48 AM

...Creeeeepy. 9/10
"Personally, I rather look forward to a computer program winning the world chess championship. Humanity needs a lesson in humility. "

#31 Campadrenalin

Campadrenalin

GMC Member

• 59 posts

Posted 17 February 2009 - 04:54 PM

You don't have to sacrifice the blur, just use some program like Paint.NET to blur yourself a couple of lava sprites (so that they have alpha channels) and use spr_replace_alpha(...) or whatever that function is to replace a few placeholder sprites with the alpha adjusted, "Hot" lava sprites.

As for my opinion of the game, I think it's pretty dang awesome. I just barely made it through on my 4th or 5th try. I think this is practically ready to be a finished game as it is!

#32 cool_manga_boy

cool_manga_boy

GMC Member

• 87 posts

Posted 17 February 2009 - 05:20 PM

This is actually one of my favourite WIP's at the moment.
I'm curious about something though, what are you using surfaces for in this?
The motion blur effect that the evil monster thing has?

I'm using surfaces to efficiently scale up the resolution of the game without actually changing the resolution. For example, the player is being drawn as a 16x16 pixel sprite first, and a surface expands him and everything else within the view as a new image. I thought it was kind of neat. (It's the only thing I'm using surfaces for currently. The blur filter that isn't included uses them too.)

You don't have to sacrifice the blur, just use some program like Paint.NET to blur yourself a couple of lava sprites (so that they have alpha channels) and use spr_replace_alpha(...) or whatever that function is to replace a few placeholder sprites with the alpha adjusted, "Hot" lava sprites.

As for my opinion of the game, I think it's pretty dang awesome. I just barely made it through on my 4th or 5th try. I think this is practically ready to be a finished game as it is!

I'm actually already using sprite alpha channels for the lava in the current version. I guess you just might not notice :P. The blur filter effect I left out is REALLY a blur; it draws a one-step old screenshot of the whole screen at about 60% opacity. It's CRAZY distracting too, but in an awesome way; simply using alpha replacement for sprites doesn't quite pull off the same result. I may be able to do a scaling thing with the shot too, now that I think about it...

Thanks again guys!

By the way, is everyone stopping play when they 'make it to the top?' There is a lot more to this than you may think. Try listening to evil... ;)
!NEW! [ Thunder Gun ]

#33 somefilth

somefilth

GMC Member

• 7 posts

Posted 22 February 2009 - 05:18 AM

First I just want say I love this game. The music, the graphics, the difficulty; it reminds me of doing hell runs in Cave Story.
I think I’ve beat the game (I saw daylight, and the credits), but the ending was a little disappointing. I was hoping it would clear things up better.
Also, on my first play of the game I instinctively ran left, which I later realized was not what I should have done first.
Maybe you should add a few ledges to scale before you can get to the end of the screen? Just to make it a little more inaccessible?
One little bug I found: on the 3rd ascension (the last one), in the area just before the lava starts rising, there is no wall on the left side of the screen.
I just walked off and got stuck somewhere. Unless maybe that was some kind of secret?
I really wish there was more, I think this could have been an awesome last level to some lengthy platformer.

#34 illisid

illisid

GMC Member

• 23 posts

Posted 22 February 2009 - 09:06 AM

First off: WOW this game is AMAZING! What do you plan on adding? For not having much other than death threats, a creepy ghost-thing, and lava, it gets ridiculously intense!

The difficulty level is up to you, though I would make the first run a teeny bit less challenging. For accessibility's sake. After you make it to the top you can make it as hard as you want :D

Only thing I had an issue with were some of the comments by the ghost (I don't know what he is, I'll call him a ghost). When he ends his sentences in leetspeak it absolutely kills the mood. "I TOLD YOU YOU'D DIE!!1!11!!!" seems a little silly. While some silly jokes seemed great (the steak bit, for example), some seemed childish and dumb (penis joke). I liked the taunting and sarcasm from the ghost ("are you sure you're going the right way", "what if I told you I'm a pirate?", "I'll beat you to the bottom"), it's just one or two that killed the mood for me.

Edited by illisid, 22 February 2009 - 09:10 AM.

#35 Pokefab

Pokefab

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 234 posts

Posted 22 February 2009 - 04:09 PM

Brilliant work with this, mate. Great graphics, good sound, good presentation. I love the things the little floating blob says to you. It starts out perfectly, having you go down the cave to get the player acquainted with the perfect platforming controls. One gripe I did have was the use of 'Z' to jump, I'd rather it be the Up arrow. Anyway, this is as flawless as it gets, really great job. The only little touches of polish I would add were online high scores (for times), and configurable controls. Great, great work.

Posted Image

#36 ninjutsu63

ninjutsu63

GMC Member

• 1128 posts

Posted 22 February 2009 - 04:26 PM

Awesome. I didn't really find it scary. More like hilarious....
Certainly very intense.
The Entropy Movement

Agent-Third Person Shooter -"Wow! That was the best 3d TPS I've ever played on GM!"

#37 hasser

hasser

GMC Member

• 537 posts

Posted 22 February 2009 - 06:52 PM

Just to say, I loved this, the game had me curious all the way till the bottom, and didn't dissapoint after that. The graphics are incredible and the gameplay is just right for a short speedrun game. If you've played "dino run" it reminded me a lot of that.

Only annoyance is that when hanging from a ledge you can't just press up to go onto it, you have to jump full height and wait to land. Also the jumping feels a bit static since the height of the jump doesn't vary with how long you press the jump key.

This is the best short GM game i've seen in a while.

#38 cool_manga_boy

cool_manga_boy

GMC Member

• 87 posts

Posted 22 February 2009 - 07:37 PM

First I just want say I love this game. The music, the graphics, the difficulty; it reminds me of doing hell runs in Cave Story.
I think I’ve beat the game (I saw daylight, and the credits), but the ending was a little disappointing. I was hoping it would clear things up better.
Also, on my first play of the game I instinctively ran left, which I later realized was not what I should have done first.
Maybe you should add a few ledges to scale before you can get to the end of the screen? Just to make it a little more inaccessible?
One little bug I found: on the 3rd ascension (the last one), in the area just before the lava starts rising, there is no wall on the left side of the screen.
I just walked off and got stuck somewhere. Unless maybe that was some kind of secret?
I really wish there was more, I think this could have been an awesome last level to some lengthy platformer.

Well, you're definitely right, you weren't supposed to go immediate left, but that's the awesome part; you figured the game out without even knowing it :D. I'm in the process of rewriting some of Evil's dialog, between the complaints of his 1337 speak and some other comments I've gotten around the place on him actually making sense... I'm not sure.

I wasn't positive that making the last level the hardest was a good way to go, but you're right; if you make it that far, you've GOT to be good. I'm probably going to come up with some more twists to throw in. Unfortunately, it seems I'm still FAR from completing this. :GM069: Nice catch on the falling off the side, that is in fact a bug, and will be fixed for the next version.

First off: WOW this game is AMAZING! What do you plan on adding? For not having much other than death threats, a creepy ghost-thing, and lava, it gets ridiculously intense!

The difficulty level is up to you, though I would make the first run a teeny bit less challenging. For accessibility's sake. After you make it to the top you can make it as hard as you want :GM060:

Only thing I had an issue with were some of the comments by the ghost (I don't know what he is, I'll call him a ghost). When he ends his sentences in leetspeak it absolutely kills the mood. "I TOLD YOU YOU'D DIE!!1!11!!!" seems a little silly. While some silly jokes seemed great (the steak bit, for example), some seemed childish and dumb (penis joke). I liked the taunting and sarcasm from the ghost ("are you sure you're going the right way", "what if I told you I'm a pirate?", "I'll beat you to the bottom"), it's just one or two that killed the mood for me.

Well, Evil's dialog is sort of supposed to be childish, at least for the first sections of the game. I'm not sure if that's really a good excuse or not, but that was the way I usually saw it. I will agree that the 1337 speak is pretty ridiculous, and I'm definitely removing it from the game. I'll give my reason for Evil's general attitude here: Evil's been trying to make you travel OUT of the caves for decades now, and the first 'descent' is his last ditch attempt to make Blue go backward. I'm definitely going to add more explanations to the game with further dialog by Evil, so it may eventually make more sense in game.
I hope this makes sense. :)

Brilliant work with this, mate. Great graphics, good sound, good presentation. I love the things the little floating blob says to you. It starts out perfectly, having you go down the cave to get the player acquainted with the perfect platforming controls. One gripe I did have was the use of 'Z' to jump, I'd rather it be the Up arrow. Anyway, this is as flawless as it gets, really great job. The only little touches of polish I would add were online high scores (for times), and configurable controls. Great, great work.

It's basically impossible to do the required spring jumps in this if I assigned jump to the up key. There are several spots later on that require you to do Spring Jumps by ducking and hitting the jump key, making it kind of awkward if jump were up.

I agree that an online score table would be FANTASTIC. I'll need to get some relatively cheap web space though...

Just to say, I loved this, the game had me curious all the way till the bottom, and didn't dissapoint after that. The graphics are incredible and the gameplay is just right for a short speedrun game. If you've played "dino run" it reminded me a lot of that.

Only annoyance is that when hanging from a ledge you can't just press up to go onto it, you have to jump full height and wait to land. Also the jumping feels a bit static since the height of the jump doesn't vary with how long you press the jump key.

This is the best short GM game i've seen in a while.

I don't think that variable jumping would make this easier at all; you have to consider the fact that you need to do rapid successions of jumps, and timing the height of the jumps would make this even more painful to get used to.

Whew. That's a lot of comments. Thank you VERY much everyone! I'm looking forward to getting a new version posted sometime, and I'm definitely glad for all of your comments. They are making this much easier to fix and tweak.

Thanks again!
!NEW! [ Thunder Gun ]

#39 jobro

jobro

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1300 posts

Posted 22 February 2009 - 09:02 PM

Awesome game. Got some suggestions tho:

- Random earthquakes, stuff that falls from cieling, screen shakes with a deep rumbling noise.
- Add a health system. including radient heat sensitivity
- Make the parts near the lava melt and drip into the lava.
- Let the comments stay longer on screen so people with poor eyesight can read them more easier.
- Slow down the lava even more.
- Put left over technologic stuff such as consoles, power generators and gas barrels to power these equipment.
- Add scientists running around checking their gears in misbelief of what is happening. Make the scientists talk to the player and to tell the story as it unfolds from their perspective.
- Make the consoles accessable with personal information from the scientists who worked the consoles. Give experience points to the player when he checks the consoles.
- Let the barrels explode in the lava and make the player airborn for a short while.

That is some suggestions by me.

Edited by jobro, 22 February 2009 - 09:10 PM.

Marketplace.png

#40 Hardly

Hardly

GMC Member

• 40 posts

Posted 22 February 2009 - 09:05 PM

Intense is the only word avaible for it, dot.

Smooth gameplay and addictive graphics/sound

Loved it! :)

#41 BlaXun

BlaXun

Slime Online Creator

• GMC Member
  • 2750 posts

Posted 23 February 2009 - 12:46 AM

Really impressive.
Stylish graphics.
The music add to the feeling.

A high-quality retro game... just the way I love it :)

iBNKRoX.png

#42 BENJAMUS

BENJAMUS

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 323 posts

Posted 23 February 2009 - 01:24 AM

It didn't last very long, but that was one of the most fun GM games I've ever played. I love fast-paced, thrilling, intense games, and it's not often I see it done well like this. This is one of the few times I permit invariable jumping, because that makes it more intense when you know the lava is close and you have to wait to land. It's pretty dang scary, too. The third cave is hard! (But I beat it... by that much!) Illisid showed me this game, and I must say, I agree with him about the leet talk... those "1"s are really... well, not good. It's entertaining, the other things he says, and especially unsettling when he taunts you saying, "Are you sure you're going the right way?" Take out the "1"s, and I'm not sure what else could make this game any better... don't add a fourth cave, though... that would be too much.
Great graphics, great music, great gameplay, very well executed. Very intense.

Edited by BENJAMUS, 23 February 2009 - 01:28 AM.

#43 Obj_Control

Obj_Control

GM Mentor

• 2561 posts

Posted 23 February 2009 - 01:37 AM

Third cave? What's that? The only extra I've found is stuff about a winners lap... Also found the secret passage, but more caves?

#44 BENJAMUS

BENJAMUS

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 323 posts

Posted 23 February 2009 - 04:24 AM

Third cave? What's that? The only extra I've found is stuff about a winners lap... Also found the secret passage, but more caves?

SPOILER: (highlight)

Go backwards in the first cave, and you'll get the second cave. Beat that and you get the third cave.

Edited by BENJAMUS, 23 February 2009 - 04:24 AM.

#45 Ephixa

Ephixa

GMC Member

• 61 posts

Posted 23 February 2009 - 04:33 AM

This is really well made. Indie game gold you have going here.

#46 may0004

may0004

GMC Member

• 221 posts

Posted 23 February 2009 - 04:28 PM

this game is awsome, but it's really hard maybe make an easy option, lava SLIGHTLY slower a medium, lava the same and a hard option (though this would be nigh on impossible)

It is really intense

10/10

Atarian
If you want help adjusting or optimizing your code, comment it so i can tell what you are trying to do at all times!!!!!
If I Helped You At Any Time Please Post A Review Of My Music Composition Software Which Is Being Made In Game Maker

<span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%'>Fully-Featured Sci-Fi Tactical Real Time Strategy Game</span>

#47 BENJAMUS

BENJAMUS

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 323 posts

Posted 25 February 2009 - 01:56 AM

this game is awsome, but it's really hard maybe make an easy option, lava SLIGHTLY slower a medium, lava the same and a hard option (though this would be nigh on impossible)

It is really intense

10/10

Atarian

I kind of disagree about the difficulties. The first cave only took me three tries. I think this game would completely lose it's thrill if it were at all easy. What makes it intense isn't only the fact that it's scary, but that you're running away from quickly rising lava, which, once it appears on the screen, you race likie crazy to outrun.

#48 PurpleSquerkle

PurpleSquerkle

GMC Member

• 268 posts

Posted 25 February 2009 - 03:36 AM

At first I thought this game was kind of "meh", but it grew on me.
I really like the music, and the graphics are pretty nifty too (particularly the lava and text effects).
As far as the game itself goes, it's conceptually pretty straightforward, but it's charming and has a lot of character (though admittedly your sources of inspiration are fairly apparent), so that's fine.

...I haven't been able to beat it yet, but I'd be a hypocrite if I said it was too hard!

It would be neat if you added some random fun unlockables for beating the game, just to add replay value... Extra caves with different tilesets, different colors for your character... I dunno.

Anyway, it's a nice game; I look forward to seeing what else you come up with in the future. :)
...Actually, there a couple of your existing games I haven't played yet, so maybe I should look at those first. :o

Edited by PurpleSquerkle, 25 February 2009 - 03:42 AM.

#49 cool_manga_boy

cool_manga_boy

GMC Member

• 87 posts

Posted 28 February 2009 - 01:56 AM

Well, I've decided that I'm going to strengthen the third cave, add some more dialog and fix existing dialog.

I'm really tempted to put more caves, even expertly hidden 'secret caves'. :lol:

I'm not sure really what else to add at this point though...
!NEW! [ Thunder Gun ]

#50 cool_manga_boy

cool_manga_boy

GMC Member

• 87 posts

Posted 05 March 2009 - 05:15 AM

NOTICE: Descent has been updated. (v3 is out)

I managed to scrounge up a bunch of different little fixes, and even added the bonus of:
A Blur Filter
Bouncy Death (!)
Pixel measurements converted to Meters
Missing wall fixes
Elimination of 1337 speak elements / PG - atized some of Evil's 'dirty' dialog.

Currently, as my last post said, I'm considering lengthing the 3rd cave as well as adding more.

Thanks everyone! Hope to hear from you guys soon!
!NEW! [ Thunder Gun ]