Posted 16 January 2009 - 11:39 AM

ZDay Defense
written by Alex Osuna
graphics by Alex Osuna and Christoker
Music by Alex Osuna and Christoker
SFX by Christoker
"Sick-E-Mart" logo by Paden Cooper
gmPhysics by codechris

So I was at my old room-mates house Monday when he suggested we start and finish a game this week, so here it is, ZDay Defense.

note: This game uses a modded version of an engine from a game of mine currently in the WIP forum called Pocket Ninja

Goal
You've managed to escape the zombie swarm and fortify an old warehouse with supplies. But your supplies won't last long and the size of the swarm is slowly increasing in size, can you hold off the swarm long enough for help to arrive?

Playing
W = jump
A/D = walk left/right
Space = pistol whip
Space (While Dead) = restart game

Mouse=aim
Left Mouse Button = fire
Right Mouse Button:
On allies = toggle follow/defend (green/yellow)
On Unbarricaded Doorways = Barricade (costs 500 points and no zombies can be in the doorway)

Gameplay
The game starts out with you and two allies inside your main base, defend your base until you need more health or ammo (green bar is health, blue bar is ammo). To the far left of the map is a gun depot and to the far right is a cornerstore. The gun depot will fully restore allies and the player with as much ammo as their pockets can carry as well as upgrade a units weapon, and the cornerstore will fully restore a units health. Units will recieve a small ammo boost upon returning to the warehouse from a successful supply run with supplies stored in the warehouse as well as a small health boost if the units health is critical. After an undetermined amount of time, the player will be given instructions on how to escape the city, you can stay in the town and fight after this for more points but you must successfully escape the city to be able to submit your score online.

Weapon Upgrades
There are 4 weapons in the game and 1 secret weapon. To upgrade a weapon simply reach the Gun Depot and press the 'y' key when asked if you would like to upgrade your weapon.

Screenies
Inside the Sick-E-Mart
Posted Image
Shot him in the face
Holding out inside the warehouse
Going out to look for supplies and survivors

NOTE: The online highscores are currently down, I cannot access my domain space to upload it, I do not know why, I have to wait for the dude who manages my website in California to call me back to figure out why, I will fix this as soon as I hear from him

Click Here to Download

Edited by Dark Xion, 17 January 2009 - 11:25 AM.

#2 Dark Xion

Dark Xion

GMC Member

• 277 posts

Posted 17 January 2009 - 11:30 AM

UPDATE

Added a bunch of special "bonus awards" that you receive at the end of the game for meeting certain various conditions. (I'll give one of the easier to figure out ones to ya, 2000 extra points for using the pistol the whole game).

On another note, I still can't figure out that whole ftp thing so if anyone knows another way for me to host online scores let me know. Also comments/criticism anyone?

#3 Dark Xion

Dark Xion

GMC Member

• 277 posts

Posted 24 January 2009 - 10:14 AM

Olly olly oxen free

#4 DJ J4KE

DJ J4KE

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 142 posts

Posted 01 March 2009 - 07:39 PM

It won't load for me...

#5 Explicit

Explicit

Destroyer of zeds

• GMC Member
  • 1647 posts

Posted 01 March 2009 - 08:23 PM

It won't load for me...

patience jake ::lmao::

really decent zombie game
gameplay was nice, utilizing moving back and forth between shops in order to get weapons and health, brought out the action and was a good idea, though the map couldve been bigger, i wouldve liked to explore
ragdoll physics ftw, though it made the game slow after a while.

the only thing that upset me was the graphics, the gun flips whenever you turn and it causes the bullet to spawn at a lower position, and it was hard to tell sometimes whos a survivor and whos not, or what kind of gun you had,

9/10 for a zombie game
8/10 for a game

#6 pounce

pounce

GMC Member

• Banned Users
  • 176 posts

Posted 02 March 2009 - 01:51 AM

I had trouble getting it to load, but I just had to be patient.

I liked the gameplay - versatile yet claustrophobic, a good combination. I liked the good implementation of ragdoll physics. The graphics were good considering you made them largely by yourself.

Oh and being a music buff, I should tell you that the music here didn't satisfy me. No offense, you just need to put some more effort in ::lmao::

#7 Dark Xion

Dark Xion

GMC Member

• 277 posts

Posted 24 March 2009 - 06:08 AM

I had trouble getting it to load, but I just had to be patient.

I liked the gameplay - versatile yet claustrophobic, a good combination. I liked the good implementation of ragdoll physics. The graphics were good considering you made them largely by yourself.

Oh and being a music buff, I should tell you that the music here didn't satisfy me. No offense, you just need to put some more effort in <_<

Heh yeah we got wicked lazy on the music, glad you all liked it though.

I just got internet back this very second after months btw, but as for the online highscores, my site's still up but no one's paying for it O.o and I can't access the ftp as a result but I'm working on it, if anyone knows an alternative means by which to upload the highscore tables, besides hosting it off my ftp, then please tell me

Edited by Dark Xion, 24 March 2009 - 07:43 PM.

#8 Wombat

Wombat

GMC Member

• 339 posts

Posted 25 March 2009 - 02:03 AM

It didn't take long to load at all...

Really good man, a couple bugs here and there but nothing serious

#9 Ezonart

Ezonart

GMC Member

• 1 posts
  • Version:GM8