GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 91 posts

Posted 12 January 2009 - 08:02 AM

Halo Mk II

Current Stable Version: 0.6
File Size: 1.28MB
Type: Zip
Screen Resolution: Mixed (No higher than 1024x768 unless chosen by user)
Changes Screen: No
Save/Load Game: No
Screenshots: Yes there on the YoYo Games Page

Controls:
W = Forwards
A = Staffe Left
S = Backwards
D = Staffe Right
Mouse = Look Around
Left MButton = Shoot
Escape = Close

NOTE: Game is not converted for Vista use!... Yet...

Download Link:
Main Link
YoYo Games Page

Description:
You are Master Chief and you are left in the middle of no where. Your mission is to kill all grunts.
There are 2 waves of grunts totaling 45 grunts. You are given 600 bullets, so fill 'em with lead!

Note: There hasn't been an update for this in a long time. Soon I am going to release a trailer video of whats to come. It will be far better then the demo online.

Edited by smart_monkey, 05 July 2009 - 07:36 AM.

#2 BattleRifle BR55

BattleRifle BR55

Let Live

• GMC Member
  • 10316 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 12 January 2009 - 08:48 AM

Seems like you just took a terrain example and threw in an edited version of a full Halo screenshot.

Currently only one bug I noticed, on certain machines the grunts may look out of shape, this may be due to the monitor that you play the game on.

You didn't make the grunt texture a power of 2, and now everyone with graphics cards that don't scale textures like that will have to suffer, thus proving some more that you still have much to learn.
Jmds8UL.png

#3 king_of_llamas

king_of_llamas

KoL Games

• 1079 posts

Posted 12 January 2009 - 01:22 PM

pretty good start. can't shoot, nothing to do and the grunts need fixing. But I like the terrain, the gun looks really good.

EDIT: PS: Also, try postin screenshots and people will play, on the yoyogames you just have the halo logo.

Edited by king_of_llamas, 12 January 2009 - 01:23 PM.

I am looking for team members! See my thread!
http://gmc.yoyogames...howtopic=504050

#4 smart_monkey

smart_monkey

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 91 posts

Posted 13 January 2009 - 07:26 AM

Seems like you just took a terrain example and threw in an edited version of a full Halo screenshot.

Currently only one bug I noticed, on certain machines the grunts may look out of shape, this may be due to the monitor that you play the game on.

You didn't make the grunt texture a power of 2, and now everyone with graphics cards that don't scale textures like that will have to suffer, thus proving some more that you still have much to learn.

The Game Fortress's terrain example is the core of all my levels terrain. Yes i know it is a edited version of a Halo screen shot but it is the only good one like it I have seen on Yoyo Games. There will be more improvements on it when I get the time. Im focusing on the core aspects of the game before that though.

I dont know exactly what you mean by the grunt texture needing to be a power of 2. If your talking about the size of the grunts and the sprite size not being a power of 2 then i understand. Though it is a problem, if you dont have the graphics card to play it yet, get a new graphics card. I am not going to set it up for reverse version graphics cards.

Thankyou for your reply!

#5 smart_monkey

smart_monkey

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 91 posts

Posted 13 January 2009 - 07:34 AM

pretty good start. can't shoot, nothing to do and the grunts need fixing. But I like the terrain, the gun looks really good.

EDIT: PS: Also, try postin screenshots and people will play, on the yoyogames you just have the halo logo.

You can shoot but there is a few problems as the shooting is a near replica of the one in the FPS tutorial. I am fixing that up in the next version which may take a couple of weeks to be released. Some of the bugs are you dont shoot at them shoot to the top right of where they are. (Its a math problem) Another is it does not register the Z pos of the enemy so you can shoot towards them but up and down doesnt matter.

I have a friend who is working on making some better looking grunts so those may be out in the next version. Elites, flood and marines will be out in the next version aswell as warhogs.

I tried to make the game longer by making 2 waves of grunts but if its not working thats not good.

#6 BattleRifle BR55

BattleRifle BR55

Let Live

• GMC Member
  • 10316 posts

Posted 13 January 2009 - 07:39 AM

I dont know exactly what you mean by the grunt texture needing to be a power of 2. If your talking about the size of the grunts and the sprite size not being a power of 2 then i understand. Though it is a problem, if you dont have the graphics card to play it yet, get a new graphics card. I am not going to set it up for reverse version graphics cards

Well for starters I don't think anybody's going to spend money on a graphics card to play your game, and second of all, all you have to do is resize the image... Not exactly rocket science :)
Jmds8UL.png

#7 king_of_llamas

king_of_llamas

KoL Games

• 1079 posts

Posted 13 January 2009 - 01:49 PM

dude if you cant play this game then it IS time for a new graphics card. just get a different texture for the grunts.
I am looking for team members! See my thread!
http://gmc.yoyogames...howtopic=504050

#8 BattleRifle BR55

BattleRifle BR55

Let Live

• GMC Member
  • 10316 posts

Posted 13 January 2009 - 04:52 PM

dude if you cant play this game then it IS time for a new graphics card. just get a different texture for the grunts.

I think you're missing the point of what's being said.
Jmds8UL.png

#9 smart_monkey

smart_monkey

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 91 posts

Posted 14 January 2009 - 09:33 AM

I get what both of you are saying.

king_of_llamas, I agree with you that if your graphics card cant support the game, its time for a new graphics card.

And, BattleRifle BR55, I will change the size of the grunts in the next version. I know what you mean that no one will buy a graphics card for my game. Well atleast not yet. =)

Thankyou for explaining what you mean by power of 2. There will be new textures for all characters and I will make sure they all are by power of 2.

#10 smart_monkey

smart_monkey

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 91 posts

Posted 23 January 2009 - 03:18 AM

Has anyone found any bugs other then the one I stated at the top. If so please leave a message here.
For suggestions leave them at the yoyo games page.

http://www.yoyogames...ames/show/66136

The more people who leave suggestions and or bugs will help me continue making this game.

#11 smart_monkey

smart_monkey

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 91 posts

Posted 25 January 2009 - 07:53 AM

I added screen shots to my game so now you can see what it looks like before you try it.

#12 smart_monkey

smart_monkey

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 91 posts

Posted 05 February 2009 - 07:24 AM

I really need people to play my game and give suggestions and bugs. I cant do all of that on my own. =P

#13 Alpha Man

Alpha Man

Game Maker Community

• 258 posts

Posted 05 February 2009 - 09:05 AM

I ran around, shot some small floating sprites with a gun that didn't always shoot the enemies, and exited. I'm not so sure what the point was...? I pressed Escape on the information thing at the start of the game, so if there was something in there about other things to do I missed it.

That said, a big problem here is that I had to run the game through the Vista Converter. It's such a problem on the GMC with people using an outdated version of GM that I have a shortcut to it. (Makes your statement about graphics cards all the more funnier, since this shows you probably don't use a Vista and thus aren't up to date.)
Well, the problem being that you completely neglected to mention if it was Vista compatible in the first post... When I run a non-Vista Compatible game on my computer, I have to go into Task Manager and close it. A waste of my time when I can be doing other things (like converting the game, or playing the game, etc.).

tl;dr version : Use converter on it, make the gun work 100% of the time, explain to me why I'm killing these small floating sprites with some sort of story. A good story would be to do something involving lots of rabbits that mysteriously disappear and you have to control a Wizard to grab a bunch of letters and go through a door to win -- that would totally fit with the floating purple guys, too, so consider it at least a Wittle bit.

ok bye bye now

#14 smart_monkey

smart_monkey

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 91 posts

Posted 06 February 2009 - 06:44 AM

I ran around, shot some small floating sprites with a gun that didn't always shoot the enemies, and exited. I'm not so sure what the point was...? I pressed Escape on the information thing at the start of the game, so if there was something in there about other things to do I missed it.

That said, a big problem here is that I had to run the game through the Vista Converter. It's such a problem on the GMC with people using an outdated version of GM that I have a shortcut to it. (Makes your statement about graphics cards all the more funnier, since this shows you probably don't use a Vista and thus aren't up to date.)
Well, the problem being that you completely neglected to mention if it was Vista compatible in the first post... When I run a non-Vista Compatible game on my computer, I have to go into Task Manager and close it. A waste of my time when I can be doing other things (like converting the game, or playing the game, etc.).

tl;dr version : Use converter on it, make the gun work 100% of the time, explain to me why I'm killing these small floating sprites with some sort of story. A good story would be to do something involving lots of rabbits that mysteriously disappear and you have to control a Wizard to grab a bunch of letters and go through a door to win -- that would totally fit with the floating purple guys, too, so consider it at least a Wittle bit.

ok bye bye now

No story is defined yet. Currently im setting up the main aspects of the game. Using Vista does not mean if im up-to-date or not. I personally think vista is the worst operating system from microsoft after "ME". Vista is slow and its only good point is DirectX 10.1 which is still bad as it does not support multithreading thus making any multicored system running vista the same as running a single core pc with vista. When DirectX 11 comes out, I may consider Vista if DX11 is for vista. If not, I will wait to windows 7.

Thanks for letting me know about it not working on Vista. The whole point of people bug testing is to tell me bugs and it not working is a bug. The bug with the graphics cards is for out-dated cards which only supports rendering to the power of 2.

I have no one working on making graphics for the game and those purple things are grunts. Thankyou for playing my game.

#15 smart_monkey

smart_monkey

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 91 posts

Posted 06 February 2009 - 06:47 AM

Soz i accidently double posted. Only if i could delete this post.

Edited by smart_monkey, 06 February 2009 - 06:51 AM.

#16 jsorgeagames

jsorgeagames

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 710 posts

Posted 06 February 2009 - 11:22 PM

According to your yoyo post, it's time-consuming to extract the halo resources.
Instead of editing screenshots taken from Halo PC, use models from halomaps. They are probably copyrighted to Bungie though.

Edited by jsorgeagames, 06 February 2009 - 11:22 PM.

#17 smart_monkey

smart_monkey

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 91 posts

Posted 07 February 2009 - 07:27 AM

According to your yoyo post, it's time-consuming to extract the halo resources.
Instead of editing screenshots taken from Halo PC, use models from halomaps. They are probably copyrighted to Bungie though.

Thankyou so much for the link. The models on the website are excellent and just what i need.

Copyright, to my knowledge, would only be void if I try and sell their work or if I say I created the models.

Again, THANKYOU! =)

#18 Rexhunter99

Rexhunter99

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 924 posts

Posted 08 February 2009 - 02:06 AM

The screenshots looked like the game is made of suck >.< it's pretty much nothing original.
What I'd like to see is a project sort of like the one for Quake on PSP, where a group of individuals are making Halo in the Quake engine for the PSP which looks freaking awesome.

Posted Image EpicZen, Games, Tutorials and more!

#19 grumpymonkey

grumpymonkey

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1011 posts

Posted 08 February 2009 - 02:24 AM

This looks like you took marks doom example, and added a terrain! The enemies are exactly the same, aside to the graphics, and they die the same way. Your 'assault rifle' or, watever its called, is a shotgun, and everything aside to the ground is a 2D sprite.

This needs ALOT of improvement! heres some advice: DONT use marks tutorials to make a game.

it worked perfectly fine, and im using vista home premium. If it was made with GM7, its vista compatible, otherwise all you have to do is open it in gm7, and then save it as .gmk, then you will have a perfectly vista compatible game -.-

Edited by grumpymonkey, 08 February 2009 - 02:27 AM.

Posted Image

#20 heyufool1

heyufool1

Fail

• GMC Member
  • 1651 posts
  • Version:GM8

Posted 08 February 2009 - 03:09 AM

This looks like you took marks doom example, and added a terrain! The enemies are exactly the same, aside to the graphics, and they die the same way. Your 'assault rifle' or, watever its called, is a shotgun, and everything aside to the ground is a 2D sprite.

This needs ALOT of improvement! heres some advice: DONT use marks tutorials to make a game.

it worked perfectly fine, and im using vista home premium. If it was made with GM7, its vista compatible, otherwise all you have to do is open it in gm7, and then save it as .gmk, then you will have a perfectly vista compatible game -.-

He can only open it with Gm7 and have it save properly if he has a Gm7 pro. And if he doesn't then get this to convert your program.

EDIT: I did play it and i found it to be rather boring. The enemies almost never die unless your raping them from a couple feet away, and the terrain is pretty lame, and i walked out the map, and i don't even die properly... i was at 0 hp for almost the whole game.

Edited by heyufool1, 08 February 2009 - 03:11 AM.

Posted ImagePosted Image

#21 smart_monkey

smart_monkey

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 91 posts

Posted 08 February 2009 - 04:56 AM

I am not the greatest at programming but I try. The reason for all the 2D graphics is because Im not good at making models or even using them properly in GM.

Using the Quake engine could be a good idea but as it has already been done then there is no point me trying. Most of the original code is from the tutorial and there are a lot of problems with the shooting code which I have fixed in the next version.

What you are saying about the gun is completely wrong. The assualt rifle IS NOT a shotgun as it is rapid fire and that you can run out of ammo.

I dont know how it worked on vista since I havent converted in and someone complained already about it not working on Vista. Either way, I will convert it the next time I get a chance to just incase anyone else has problems.

You can kill the enemy with 1 bullet. It took me a little while to work out the problem but its all to do with the original tutorial gun code. It makes the bullet go to a position 4 or 5 pixels away from the enemy. If you face the same direction you did when you started and you go over to the enemy, you aim to the top right hand corner of the enemy to kill them. Its some weird code but I fixed it in the new version as it sends out an object instead of using maths to work it out.

The shield is meant to come back so I dont know why your shield didnt. Thanks for the link to the convert program and everyone elses comments.

#22 smart_monkey

smart_monkey

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 91 posts

Posted 10 February 2009 - 06:21 AM

I have stopped development of my Halo game as there is a far better Halo game made by more people.
Check out Halo Revolution.

No need to comment or suggest ideas for my game.

Edited by smart_monkey, 11 February 2009 - 06:54 AM.

#23 hotshotscott

hotshotscott

GMC Member

• 3483 posts

Posted 10 February 2009 - 08:55 AM

Dude, do not give up on this. Mine's only in 2D, a platformer. Yours is in 3D, has terrain with hills etc and the sprite for the assault rifle isn't too bad. Just try find a way to make the enemies a bit better, and maybe try some more scenary - Trees, Rocks, Buildings, Water etc. Don't give up just because mine has 107 pages or something, they're 2 completely different styles of halo.

Scotty

TEAM ODDBOX

Did I try your game or help you out with yours?? Please return the favour and try out my game! NOT just another Halo Clone!!

Posted Image