Posted Image

Posted Image---Posted Image

More/Fullsize Images
[1][2][3][4]

--------------------------------------------------------

DOWNLOAD

Instant Play (YoYoGames)
Download (YoYoGames)

PLEASE NOTE: This is a competition game, and if you are in the competition yourself, you should not rate for fear of disqualification. Sorry if that upsets anyone...

--------------------------------------------------------

STORY & GAMEPLAY

MEDIA
Youtube Video - Gameplay Demonstration
Vimeo Video - Gameplay Demonstration

Enter the minds of Marcus Howitz and the mysterious Molly as you try to search for the answer to Cold Fusion.

This is a pretty fast paced arcade arena shooter (guess I like to mix genres, huh?). It contains five different modes of play:
Mind Shock
- The main mode of the game in which you play through the story of Marcus. It utilizes the other game modes to tell the story in four chapters.
Wave Shock
- Fight a never-ending onslaught of enemies. This is the most basic form of gameplay in Mind Shock
Static Shock
- Essentially, Static Shock is Wave Shock, but you use a pendulum to destroy enemies instead of a gun. A little more difficult, and has a slight learning curve. The electricity also slices through enemies.
Boss Shock
- Boss Shock pits you against an endless series of increasingly difficult 'cores' that spin. You can destroy their armored pieces indiviually, making the boss simpler to defeat, or you can destroy the core killing the boss much more quickly.
Shmup Shock
- This mode throws you into a fight for your life in which you need to destroy 'cores' once again, but these guys shoot hundreds upon hundreds of bullets at you. They are not armored like the bosses, but they do have more health. Your quickness and presision are key to survival, as you have an auto-aiming device attached to your ship for this mode.

If I'm leaving out too much stuff, please let me know. Ask questions.

CONTROLS

A,S,W,D or Arrows = Move
Mouse = Fire and Navigate Menus

MORE INFORMATION

If you haven't heard, this game is actually a sequel to Wave Shock. I decided to get more into the story of things. All of the assets are created by me. The music uses the same theme I used in the original, but is a remix.
I guess it would be really nice if you guys point out any errors. It's probably still pretty buggy.

Thanks bundles,
Ted Lauterbach

Edited by cool_manga_boy, 06 April 2009 - 03:03 AM.

!NEW! [ Thunder Gun ]

[ Visit ] - [ VISIT 2 ] - [ Wave Shock ] - [ Mind Shock ] - [ I.C.E. ] - [ Enigma ] - [ Descent ]

Myspace: Rotten Taters [Ted] | FaceBook: Ted Lauterbach

#2 drazzke

drazzke

GMC Member

• 1084 posts

Posted 05 January 2009 - 11:10 PM

I'm not sure why no one has replied to this yet. I thought this game was really, really good.

The graphics were great. I loved the background and the simple sprites. The background was moving and changing, but it wasn't distracting at all, and I could see what I needed to do. All the effects were really good too.

The game play was pretty good. It kept me playing for around 45 minutes, and for any game (GM game or not) that's actually quite a bit. The enemies were interesting, and the difficulty was about right.
The storyline was pretty good as well. It wasn't anything outright amazing, but it fit OK, and was clear. I'm also happy that you kept the bits of story short, as I wanted to get playing, not read through lines and lines of story :)
One suggestion I do have is to make the text type a little bit faster in the story. I personally found that I would have to wait a little bit for the text to start typing again.

Lastly, the music was very nice. I didn't tire of it, and it fit the game really well.

If I could rate this game (I'm in the competition too), I would have probably given it a 5/5.

Really nice game :(

Noel Berry | Portfolio | Twitter | Leap4Blue
Game Maker | PHP/MYSQL | HTML/CSS | Flash/AS3

#3 Caniac

Caniac

The #1 Caniac

• 2622 posts

Posted 06 January 2009 - 03:37 PM

thanks for taggin this topic!

Edited by Caniac, 07 January 2009 - 01:06 AM.

#4 cool_manga_boy

cool_manga_boy

GMC Member

• 87 posts

Posted 06 January 2009 - 09:27 PM

I'm not sure why no one has replied to this yet. I thought this game was really, really good.

The graphics were great. I loved the background and the simple sprites. The background was moving and changing, but it wasn't distracting at all, and I could see what I needed to do. All the effects were really good too.

The game play was pretty good. It kept me playing for around 45 minutes, and for any game (GM game or not) that's actually quite a bit. The enemies were interesting, and the difficulty was about right.
The storyline was pretty good as well. It wasn't anything outright amazing, but it fit OK, and was clear. I'm also happy that you kept the bits of story short, as I wanted to get playing, not read through lines and lines of story :D
One suggestion I do have is to make the text type a little bit faster in the story. I personally found that I would have to wait a little bit for the text to start typing again.

Lastly, the music was very nice. I didn't tire of it, and it fit the game really well.

If I could rate this game (I'm in the competition too), I would have probably given it a 5/5.

Really nice game ;)

Thanks very much, drazzke! I guess, the text typing is probably a little overdone, but that's why I let the player have the ability to skip the entire thing by pressing enter earlier. I probably should add 'Hold Space to Speed Up' option for an update.

But once again, thanks for your reply!

Posted Image

Sorry caniac, I thought just having 'Arcade' under the title someplace was enough. Hopefully, by the way I changed it, everybody would be happy...
!NEW! [ Thunder Gun ]

[ Visit ] - [ VISIT 2 ] - [ Wave Shock ] - [ Mind Shock ] - [ I.C.E. ] - [ Enigma ] - [ Descent ]

#5 Caniac

Caniac

The #1 Caniac

• 2622 posts

Posted 07 January 2009 - 01:06 AM

no problem ;)

#6 graham

graham

Artist and Programmer

• 523 posts

Posted 07 January 2009 - 02:12 AM

Awesome, very well done. The white circles that were made when the baddies we're destroyed cause some lag on my system. I have a cheap-o graphics card, though (Nvidia GeForece 6150 SE).

Great storyline, too.

KBDJ - Mix without the expensive stuff
GameJolt . GLPRODUCTIONS.co.cc

#7 Legendary

Legendary

GMC Member

• 89 posts

Posted 09 January 2009 - 05:38 AM

I really like the graphical style, but it seemed a bit easy and repetitive to me. I must note that this is just a first impression as I only played for about 10 minutes, but I lost interest fairly quickly because the difficulty and excitement didn't seem to pick up. It was very well made and polished though, and I can't judge it as I did not play it fully. Good work. ;)

#8 cool_manga_boy

cool_manga_boy

GMC Member

• 87 posts

Posted 11 January 2009 - 05:30 PM

Awesome, very well done. The white circles that were made when the baddies we're destroyed cause some lag on my system. I have a cheap-o graphics card, though (Nvidia GeForece 6150 SE).

Great storyline, too.

Huh... :blink: Of all things, I thought bullets from Shmup Shock would be destroying CPU. It never crossed my mind about the explosion effects. I can add another option that lowers the ammount of explosions drawn.

I'm glad you liked the story!

I really like the graphical style, but it seemed a bit easy and repetitive to me. I must note that this is just a first impression as I only played for about 10 minutes, but I lost interest fairly quickly because the difficulty and excitement didn't seem to pick up. It was very well made and polished though, and I can't judge it as I did not play it fully. Good work. :)

Yeah, I have to admit that I made Mind Shock Mode (I'll assume that's what you played... :) ) a little easier. I wanted it to be quick to jump into, and less repititious from deaths. Everyone has different skill levels, and I figured a little easy would pan out better.

Thank you everyone for your great comments! You have NO idea how much I value this stuff!
!NEW! [ Thunder Gun ]

#9 Sulfuric

Sulfuric

Nintendo Worshiper

• 1353 posts

Posted 13 January 2009 - 03:01 AM

I liked the game. It had interesting concepts and each phase the single player was different. Although, I didn't die once in the last section with the bullet boss.

The graphics were nice. The color change each wave was also an interesting feature, as it made things look less stale. My favorite part of the game was the boss section type thing, as they were always different. I'm not sure about the difficulty curve for it though. The first 7 or so bosses are extremely easy to kill, followed by 3 much more difficult posses due to the lengths they extend.

Posted Image
Check out my website (above) for finished and upcoming games.
Solar Blue-The Mansion-God's Watch
Note: My name has changed. My old name was STARFOXROX.

#10 cool_manga_boy

cool_manga_boy

GMC Member

• 87 posts

Posted 23 January 2009 - 03:04 AM

I liked the game. It had interesting concepts and each phase the single player was different. Although, I didn't die once in the last section with the bullet boss.

Yeah, she's pretty easy to beat compared to a lot of shmup bosses. It probably doesn't help her that she only has one gun. ^_^

The graphics were nice. The color change each wave was also an interesting feature, as it made things look less stale. My favorite part of the game was the boss section type thing, as they were always different. I'm not sure about the difficulty curve for it though. The first 7 or so bosses are extremely easy to kill, followed by 3 much more difficult posses due to the lengths they extend.

I'm really glad that you liked the overall design of the game. The difficulty of the 'boss' characters is a little messed up. I really wish I had more time to get the curve ironed out, but I'm in the process of fixing it for the update (after the competition, of course).

Thanks, STARFOXROX.
!NEW! [ Thunder Gun ]

#11 tamper2

tamper2

GMC Member

• 369 posts

Posted 23 January 2009 - 11:14 AM

Very good game!
I really liked it! ^_^
It was really fun, and really addictive...
Every time I lost, I said that I'll give it one more shot, and I just never quit until I finished all story levels.
Story is really well done.
Graphics are looking really nice and fun, although the white circles are a bit annoying when they fill the screen, and they don't really match to the lots of colors thingy...
Gameplay is fun and smooth.
Overall, really great game, and I really like it, so I give it 5/5!
Keep up with the good work! :GM124:
Tamper ^_^

#12 Nocturne

Nocturne

Nocturne Games

• Administrators
  • 25708 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 23 January 2009 - 12:01 PM

Very slick, very good fun, l¡ked the music, the graphics are smooth and appealing, and enough modes to keep the game interesting for longer than your average GM game...

All in all a fantastic shmup that deserves lots of attention!

U1FVsm3.png

40799.png

#13 cool_manga_boy

cool_manga_boy

GMC Member

• 87 posts

Posted 25 January 2009 - 05:31 AM

Very good game!
I really liked it! :D
It was really fun, and really addictive...
Every time I lost, I said that I'll give it one more shot, and I just never quit until I finished all story levels.
Story is really well done.
Graphics are looking really nice and fun, although the white circles are a bit annoying when they fill the screen, and they don't really match to the lots of colors thingy...
Gameplay is fun and smooth.
Overall, really great game, and I really like it, so I give it 5/5!
Keep up with the good work! -_-
Tamper ::lmao::

Hmm, do you mean the HUGE explosions after you kill shmup/regular bosses? I thought those matched pretty well, even if they're a little exagerated. But, I'm really glad that you really enjoyed everything else about the game! Thanks!

Very slick, very good fun, l¡ked the music, the graphics are smooth and appealing, and enough modes to keep the game interesting for longer than your average GM game...

All in all a fantastic shmup that deserves lots of attention!

Thank you very much Mark13673!

I'm really happy about all of your comments, everybody! Thanks again!
!NEW! [ Thunder Gun ]

#14 Pallas

Pallas

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 94 posts

Posted 26 January 2009 - 07:00 PM

I was really impressed when I played this game (a while ago). Amazing to see how much you've improved since Wave Shock! :unsure:

I think this one will do well in the competition! Good luck anyway!
Ninjamboree, my YoYo Games competition #03 entry!
See:
GMC Ninjamboree Topic
Play and vote:
Ninjamboree on YoYo Games (Instant Play and Download)

#15 cool_manga_boy

cool_manga_boy

GMC Member

• 87 posts

Posted 09 February 2009 - 12:51 PM

Thanks guys for the feedback!

I've created a small trailer for Mind Shock that can be both found on Youtube AND Vimeo:

Youtube Video (Click on high quality. It's totally worth it.)
Vimeo

Tell me what you guys think.

Thanks again!
!NEW! [ Thunder Gun ]

#16 reigalius

reigalius

Generally Awesome

• 1170 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 09:51 PM

EPIC, MAN, JUST EPIC!
Way better than the other one in this competition, from my opinion!

Edited by reigalius, 16 April 2009 - 10:14 PM.