#1 th15

th15

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1577 posts

Posted 30 December 2008 - 02:36 PM

NUD
Download Here: http://www.wyrdysm.com/nudgame.php
This is my latest project, NUD is a tower defence game that will emphasize patterns in the way you build towers. The towers in the game, called NUDs, provide adjacent NUDs with various bonuses. This means that you need to come up with the optimum pattern of NUDs to maximise firepower. By emphasizing the way you build instead of relying on the usual formula of damage types vs armour types I hope to make the complexity of the game more transparent since no complexity is hidden in the creep stats or behaviour. The smooth undo/reload wave system also allows you to correct your mistakes painlessly instead of having to restart the level/game and waste time getting to the same level.

This is the first beta build that I've got up. I've just got all the technical aspects coming together so the gameplay isn't quite fleshed out yet.

Features:
- Full Undo/Checkpoint saving system that allows you to seamlessly go back and correct mistakes
- Adjacency bonuses. NUDs will provide combat bonuses to other adjacent NUDs.
- Mazing, you can build your NUDs to block the invaders and shape their path.
- Three NUDs to build, each with three levels of upgrades.
- WarpNUD. These NUDs move the invaders backward in time. Merely slowing them just ain't good enough.
- LancetNUD. These NUDs have a fixed facing, meaning that you have to carefully plan out where you put them
- Basic UI functionality, it still needs a lot of polish

Planned:
- Another three NUDs to build
- More levels, lots more levels
- Map/NUD editor and user content (the game is already setup to handle user content easily)

Posted Image

I'd love to get any comments/suggestions from you peeps, hope you enjoy the game.

Edited by th15, 28 March 2009 - 05:21 PM.

#2 karzahnii

karzahnii

GMC Member

• 545 posts

Posted 30 December 2008 - 04:03 PM

This Tower Defense is awesome. I especially like the graphics style, I'd give this WIP a 9/10. I'd like to see the next version with the new NUDs!

#3 dimitri

dimitri

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 248 posts

Posted 30 December 2008 - 05:09 PM

Loving it. Here are a few suggestions:

- When placing a turret, it would be nice if the player could see the new path of the drones(?) should the nud obstruct the currrent path.
- Maybe you've already planned it, but having the drones come from multiple spawns would add a bit more difficulty to it.
- Show the player what 'wave' they are currently up against.

Sorry I'm a little dry on ideas/suggestions here, this game is quite original.

#4 Tarik

Tarik

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 2731 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 30 December 2008 - 08:11 PM

Looking good, I will be checking back for more updates!
What do you reckon the scale of the game will be, a mini game, or something more story-based such as Rinku's TDish game?

#5 general sirhc

general sirhc

YW Creator

• 1651 posts

Posted 31 December 2008 - 06:33 AM

Error duplicate path

I made an entire wall of the normal turrets one to the right of there spawn
it was the entire screen tall except for 1 missing at the top

EDIT:
if you place too many units (Eg wait till you have $50) place 5 of the 10 units the enemies will stop spawning

I love how simply fun this game is!

Edited by general sirhc, 31 December 2008 - 08:02 AM.

#6 th15

th15

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1577 posts

Posted 02 January 2009 - 10:04 AM

New Version Released
Download: http://www.wyrdysm.com/NUDv002.zip
Huge changes in this version. I've gotten the menu and other things up, so it's actually a full game. There are 6 fully playable levels now.

On top of that, each level can be played in survival mode. In this mode, the game will randomly generate waves of creeps to match your playing ability, so you can essentially play forever (it will eventually get too hard to continue at some point though).

Everything looks better in general, there is even an option for players with less-than-stellar computers to reduce the quality of the graphics, speeding up the game somewhat.

#7 Fiender

Fiender

GMC Member

• 912 posts

Posted 02 January 2009 - 12:23 PM

It's a pretty good game! It'd be nice to have a larger variety of units, but the lack of diversity doesn't really hinder the game play.

Good work.

#8 th15

th15

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1577 posts

Posted 04 January 2009 - 10:33 AM

New version release
Download here: http://www.wyrdysm.com/NUDv003.zip

Got a new version out. Should address most concerns so far.

v0.03
-Added a couple more levels
-tweaked adjacency bonuses, higher level nuds now give better bonuses
-tuned the survival algorithm better
-lancet nuds now only fire when a target is sighted
-tweaked baby steps so it's easier
-$ payout per invader killed increased 50% so you get to build more nuds
-tweaked some other levels too

#9 general sirhc

general sirhc

YW Creator

• 1651 posts

Posted 04 January 2009 - 02:25 PM

1 suggestion

get rid of the semi colon after the dollar sign lol

EDIT:
OH I lost =(
Dont worry press load and your lives dont get fixed
Huh?
Well look your on -1 lives
Oh I just died again..
Click load untill you finished this wave you on the last wave anyway
Alrighty

Hehe you gotta fix that :)

Edited by general sirhc, 04 January 2009 - 03:12 PM.

#10 photocopier

photocopier

GMC Member

• 765 posts

Posted 04 January 2009 - 02:32 PM

what does "NUD" stand for?

#11 th15

th15

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1577 posts

Posted 05 January 2009 - 07:59 AM

I think I fixed the problem with loading, it wasn't clearing savefiles properly. I'll have the new version up when I've done more levels.

#12 th15

th15

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1577 posts

Posted 10 January 2009 - 11:28 AM

New Version Released
Download Here: http://www.wyrdysm.c...mes/NUDv004.zip

v0.04
-Increased interest amount slightly
-Lance nuds now have 200 range at all levels
-increased mononud range by 20
-Added a third quality level. now you can use lo, med or hi quality.
-Added pause key. Press P to pause the game
-Greatly increase performance when the game is accelerated by decreasing the draw rate
-Implemented new algorithms for creep balancing. Game should be more balanced now

Also, I implemented an online highscore system so you're now given the option of uploading your scores after a game. Normal levels are scored on how much resources your gained (including selling all NUDs). Survival is scored on the wave you were at when the game ended.

Clicking yes when the dialogue asking you if you want to upload your highscore will pop open your webbrowser to submit the score.

#13 Fiender

Fiender

GMC Member

• 912 posts

Posted 10 January 2009 - 03:26 PM

Would it be possible to make different enemies reward different amounts of money? Like, each successive wave would add +2 to the amount you get from them.

#14 general sirhc

general sirhc

YW Creator

• 1651 posts

Posted 10 January 2009 - 03:32 PM

Well I was here from near the start and im back

Th15 its addictive as hell but you need to do something about those warps when you play for long enough you will realise that 70% of the time they better replaced with a turret not to mention the turret it cheaper at first

Apart from that I hope someone feels like beating my level 50 in baby steps survival

#15 th15

th15

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1577 posts

Posted 10 January 2009 - 07:22 PM

New Version Released

Quick bug fix, there was a problem with the highscore submission system. Updated the link above.

Fiender: Yea, but later, these are essentially the tutorial levels that you're playing now.

sirhc: I think i might reduce the warp speed and icnrease the duration in the next version.

#16 general sirhc

general sirhc

YW Creator

• 1651 posts

Posted 11 January 2009 - 07:43 AM

th15 here is a little more in depth list of ideas

EDITTED (Please re read)

lancet = range upgrade to nearby units <already in game>
mono = fire rate upgrade to nearby units <already in game>
warp = crit upgrade to nearby units (since pushing enemies back just makes it more difficult for turrets so this needs to be crit upgrade to make it useful) <should be added>

[Idea for new units]
hammer = has rotation speed which is affected by fire rate. Has slow fire rate but does a fair about of damage. Gives bonus to nearby units damage

If you go with the hammer idea that allows the player to be even more stratigic about how they place units

Edited by general sirhc, 13 January 2009 - 05:57 AM.

#17 th15

th15

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1577 posts

Posted 11 January 2009 - 03:16 PM

Huh, the NUDs already provide those bonuses to adjacent nuds.

#18 Lcldlstheway

Lcldlstheway

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 266 posts

Posted 11 January 2009 - 11:30 PM

-after placing a turret, i get annoyed that i have to click to cancel and see that stupid "insufficient money" banner. it's just a personal thing here.
-on the other hand, it doesn't tell you when you're blocking the path.
-upgrading only helps when there's no space to give other towers a boost.
-what does NUD stand for?
-towers miss too much (instead of expected-position targeting by velocity, use the path, maybe?)
-warp towers cause towers to miss even more, i think.
-$15 per kill has to change sometime.
-it's kind of stupid to ask to submit your score when you can only answer yes.

#19 rinkuhero

rinkuhero

Paul Eres

• GMC Member
  • 1827 posts
  • Version:GM7

Posted 14 January 2009 - 03:51 AM

I was going to try out this game (on your request) but I got a 404 error for the file. Did you remove it or something?

EDIT: Nevermind, it's working now. Downloading. Before it got a 404 "host gater" message for some weird reason.

EDIT 2:

- I like the basic idea, it's an original variation of the genre. It's a good start.

- I feel that the bonuses given to other nearby towers should be much higher. As it is it's negligible and doesn't play into the strategy for placement much. If it were increased significantly it'd be more of a factor. I.e. instead of speed of attack -4 with base 60, it could be something like speed of attack -10 with base 60 -- it'd be much more important then, and actually matter. The difference between 60 and 56 isn't noticeable or significant.

- This was mentioned, but missing is a problem. I know missing happens in my game too, but in your game it's more annoying because it doesn't feel like it's a part of the gameplay (since it's less about physics and more about pure strategy for your game). Perhaps make missing impossible, and the shot graphic merely cosmetic. I.e. as soon as the shot is fired, do the damage, don't wait for it to hit?

- The slowing/time reversal tower is not really effective at all, except for the critical bonus (which I'm not sure what it does, the game doesn't define what a critical hit does: single-hit kill? double damage? etc.). The third tower (the one that fires straight) is also seldom if ever useful. I managed to win the levels just with the first tower, which is the most powerful and useful by far of the three. The tower types need more balance, they should each have their uses, not have one totally dominant one.

- I feel as if you should make this game for Flash, not GM. I know this is a strange comment, but this game is better than most Flash TD games, and would get hundreds of thousands of plays if it were in Flash, and make quite a bit of money through ads. On Game Maker, it'll get very few people playing it, maybe a few thousand tops, and (unless you're going to make it commercial, which you didn't mention in the thread so I presume not) make nothing back for the time and effort you put into it, and more importantly far fewer people will ever see it or enjoy it. It's probably too late to convert it, but perhaps you should consider a Flash port of it one day (I could even help you out with that, since I'm learning Flash now).

Edited by rinkuhero, 14 January 2009 - 05:07 AM.

#20 th15

th15

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1577 posts

Posted 15 January 2009 - 07:21 AM

Yeap, the game is designed to encourage as many possible approaches to the same maze as possible. However, the current levels are designed pretty much to be the tutorial levels (each one introduces a new concept) so they shouldn't be very challenging at all.

It's difficult to increase adjacency bonuses much without breaking stuff. Increasing trinuds to give +10 fire rate would make a lancet surrounded by 4 trinuds become DEATH STAR LAZER. So yea, I'm tweaking it but there's a limit to how far i can push it.

As for accuracy, there's currently a bug in the way nuds do target dead reckoning (aiming ahead) that manifests with warp nuds. This will be fixed in the next version. That, along with a bullet speed boost for the mononud will increase accuracy to 85-90% (the new version has full stat tracking per nud).

#21 rinkuhero

rinkuhero

Paul Eres

• GMC Member
  • 1827 posts
  • Version:GM7

Posted 23 January 2009 - 06:25 PM

Just a note: I attempted to email you to respond to your last email to me three times, but all three times I got an email failure/bounce notice. Did you suddenly lose that email address, or is it a problem on gmail's part?

#22 Radnom

Radnom

Burninator

• GMC Member
  • 777 posts

Posted 24 January 2009 - 10:39 PM

Pretty cool game, neat twist on the Tower Defense genre. I don't really like the
"Submit Score Online?"
message box though - it'd be nice if it had a "NO" button :)

#23 th15

th15

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1577 posts

Posted 25 January 2009 - 07:42 AM

New Version Released
Download here: http://www.wyrdysm.c...mes/NUDv005.zip
Hello guys, just put up a new version that prevents most exploits and cheats. It also provides statistics about your NUD performance, allowing you to fine tune your maze to perfection.

Mononud upgrades are also more expensive, this makes it less viable to use only mononuds for a level.

Changelog

v0.05
-Added NUD stat tracking and display. NUD killcount, accuracy (% of targets hit over shots fired) will be displayed when you select NUDs. Holding down the K key will show the relative number of kills each NUD has. This allows you to see which of your NUDs are performing poorly. you can press k to display kills graphically.
-Improved target tracking when targeting invaders affected by warp NUDs. Also reduced the force of the warp NUD effect but increased its duration. Overall the Warp NUD should be more effective.
-Added resource rate and interest rate display in the resource tooltip
-reduced base interest rate slightly.
-Improved nud aiming algorithm, making them more accurate
-Duonud and Trinud costs increased slightly
-Added anti-juggling code
-refund value of nuds reduced to 0.5
-fixed the highscore dialogue box
-wiped the highscores
-fixed another bug with highscore submission

#24 gangstar59

gangstar59

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 110 posts

Posted 25 January 2009 - 08:59 PM

one word awsome

#25 th15

th15

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1577 posts

Posted 09 February 2009 - 12:47 PM

New Version Released
Download here: http://www.wyrdysm.com/nudgame.php

Totally re-did the balancing for this version. Mononuds are now actually pretty weak. Also. adjacency bonuses for all NUDs has been increased greatly. It should now be pretty clear that your NUDs are benefiting from adjacency bonuses.

Full changelog:
v0.07
-Changed nud balance significantly. All nuds now have increased adjacency bonuses at level 1. adjacency bonuses go up less with upgrades.
-Changed fire rate to RLD instead of SPD
-Corrected bonus fire rate indicator showing +x instead of -x
-Lancers fire slower but damage is increased, overall lancers should be more effective. They also penetrate 6 targets instead of 4 now
-Warpnud fire rate reduced considerably
-Made a whole game a fair bit harder
-Tutorial text now fades out if your mouse is over it.
-Highscore system now allows you to comment and rate game on the website by default

#26 th15

th15

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1577 posts

Posted 28 March 2009 - 05:20 PM

New Version Released
Download here: http://www.wyrdysm.com/nudgame.php

Changelog:
v0.08
-Invader sprites made brighter so that they are easier to see
-Shrap nud changed completely, it now fires shrapnel in all directions around it when any target is in range. Its bullets will linger for a long time but will expire if they leave the range of the shrap nud
-You no longer de-select the nud to build if you run out of money or click on an occupied spot
-Added some more sounds
-Added a new nud, the glownud, this is a fast firing laser nud that does relatively low damage. It requires line of sight to fire (it will be blocked by other nuds) and it provides a fire rate increase to adjacent nuds.
-Mononuds now provide a damage increase instead of a fire rate increase.
-Rebalanced the whole game again. Completely changed the way that fire rate adjacency bonuses work. They are now tuned to give diminishing returns such that the % shown will be the effective increase in dps, taking all factors into account.
-survival mode now enables all nud types.
-Accelerate game key changed back to shift key
-You can now change the accelerated game speed multiplier by pressing PgUp/PgDn while holding the shift key.
-You can accelerate the game using mousewheel up/dn.
-In normal play, you receive 1500 points for each life remaining.
-You receive no interest in survival mode, regardless of level.
-Improved some sprites.
-Tweaked some normal levels to have more waves.

#27 Tarik

Tarik

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 2731 posts

Posted 07 May 2009 - 06:49 PM

Was looking through some older topics, it's been a month or two and I assume you're still working on the project. One suggestion that came to mind was to mitigate the adjacency-bonus depending on how many bonuses have preceded it.

For example, it could work like this:
Bonus of having one adjacent NUD: 100%
Second: 80
Third: 40
Fourth: 20

As such, though it's beneficial to group NUDs, at a certain point it won't be as effective anymore. Many games use this principle, especially Eve-Online which is full of reductions of improvements from modules depending on how many improvements have preceded it already, as to stop players from overpowering a certain element.

#28 wiiowner

wiiowner

Absolute Zero Team

• 685 posts

Posted 07 May 2009 - 07:54 PM

Wow great game, although I may be wrong but can you sell NUD's? Also I don't think you can pause.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users