• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 EasyBeak

EasyBeak

GMC Member

• 87 posts

Posted 28 December 2008 - 09:10 PM

Posted Image

The Eyeballs 2 is the sequel to The Eyeballs. It is a puzzle platformer made for Yoyogames Comp #4.
Includes 40 levels and a level editor, which is unlocked after completing the game.

Posted Image

Screens:
Forest
Ice Cavern

Yoyogames:
Click Here
Download:
Click Here

Edited by EasyBeak, 03 January 2009 - 05:04 AM.

#2 posva

posva

GMC Member

• 610 posts
  • Version:GM8

Posted 28 December 2008 - 09:59 PM

ok i will test!

EDIT I tyried it, i enjoyed the graphics sounds and gamplay but i have some things to say :
-Sometimes the eyeball doesn't collide correctly, use mask(a square) for eviting problems like that
-please emcrypt the info of levels (savegame), personnaly i will choose other option than execute string! it's not secure at all, i recommend you to add a script that turn a real into other by some calculs omnly you know or simply encrypt the file xD
-I didn't try it at all but i finished some levels (10) and looked into the level 40: Don't make the player to start from beginning! It's very boring to do again.... With the explosions, don't use collision event or at least limite the time the explosion s effective, i mean set up and alarm and a variable when the alarm is reached the variable is turned to true and in collision event if thi var is true exit ;D

Hope i helped you! Good Luck!

Edited by posva, 28 December 2008 - 10:41 PM.

#3 EasyBeak

EasyBeak

GMC Member

• 87 posts

Posted 29 December 2008 - 01:12 AM

Thanks for testing.

I didn't try it at all but i finished some levels (10)

The game doesn't get fun until level 11 onwards. Levels 1-10 are mainly to teach you how to play.

-Sometimes the eyeball doesn't collide correctly, use mask(a square) for eviting problems like that

Originally I did use a square mask but it looked stupid because the platforms have rounded corners and the eyeball could sit in the air when on the edge of them.

-please emcrypt the info of levels (savegame), personnaly i will choose other option than execute string! it's not secure at all, i recommend you to add a script that turn a real into other by some calculs omnly you know or simply encrypt the file xD

The reason I used text files is so that the judges of the competition could edit them. Towards the end of the game, the levels become very difficult and I didnt want my game to be at a disadvantage because the judges couldn't finish a level. Anyway, it doesn't bother me if people edit the savefiles.

Don't make the player to start from beginning!

I thought of that and I think I will make you not have to start from the beginning.

With the explosions, don't use collision event or at least limite the time the explosion s effective, i mean set up and alarm and a variable when the alarm is reached the variable is turned to true and in collision event if thi var is true exit ;D

I have limited the time the explosions are effective but I think I should make it a little shorter.

EasyBeak.

#4 posva

posva

GMC Member

• 610 posts
  • Version:GM8

Posted 29 December 2008 - 02:30 PM

Originally I did use a square mask but it looked stupid because the platforms have rounded corners and the eyeball could sit in the air when on the edge of them.

The reason I used text files is so that the judges of the competition could edit them. Towards the end of the game, the levels become very difficult and I didnt want my game to be at a disadvantage because the judges couldn't finish a level. Anyway, it doesn't bother me if people edit the savefiles.

EasyBeak.

umm Ok i understand what tou say, it happened to me in othe cases!
you can alsomake all teh levels avaibles and teh text file only checks if the levels are finished or noy -_-

#5 gamewizkid

gamewizkid

GMC Member

• 436 posts

Posted 29 December 2008 - 06:24 PM

This is a pretty good game so far...

It has touched my childhood memories...but nobody really cares what it reminds me of...

The music made me keep on going. It was so lovable and melodic. The gameplay was good but it gets kind of boring after a while... The graphics are simple with good shading.

I give it a 9/10. Even though I havn't played the prequel, this one is pretty good.

Good luck in the competition, by the way!
Imagine a large mansion. And imagine that it has light, reflected off of the very large moon at night. Now imagine rain. Rain, rain, rain, rain, rain. Now imagine a light flickering in one or two of the windows of the mansion. And finally, imagine a cinder block and some sort of burnt trophy, laid on the side of the house; pieces of broken metal and wiring is twisted over and under them. Then imagine that the flickering lights turn off. Now the moon turns off. Did you like that? go here to read the full story...and PM me about it if you liked or didn't like it...

#6 EasyBeak

EasyBeak

GMC Member

• 87 posts

Posted 30 December 2008 - 08:04 AM

Thanks for the reply. I'm glad you liked it.

The gameplay was good but it gets kind of boring after a while...

Everyone says the gameplay in all my games is boring. Why? I don't think so...

Edited by EasyBeak, 30 December 2008 - 08:05 AM.

#7 drbazzi

drbazzi

GMC Member

• 1 posts

Posted 30 December 2008 - 09:23 PM

This game is simple but entertaining ;) The graphics are nice, the music is great but gets repetitive after a while, and I'd like the controls more if I could control how high the character jumps.

Also, I think there's a bug at Level 22...after the blue block falls from the conveyor belt, it slides across the box that it lands on and I can't push it to the right

#8 swoodplaya

swoodplaya

GMC Member

• 373 posts

Posted 30 December 2008 - 11:23 PM

I liked it a great deal ::lmao::

I had a great deal of criticism ready to help you, but I seem to have drawn a blank. :D

#9 EasyBeak

EasyBeak

GMC Member

• 87 posts

Posted 31 December 2008 - 06:37 AM

Also, I think there's a bug at Level 22...after the blue block falls from the conveyor belt, it slides across the box that it lands on and I can't push it to the right

Thanks for pointing that out. I fixed it and you helped me fix some others aswell.

I uploaded a new version with a few minor changes and bug fixes.

Thanks to all that have played.

Edited by EasyBeak, 31 December 2008 - 06:37 AM.

#10 banov

banov

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1172 posts
  • Version:Unknown

Posted 31 December 2008 - 07:10 AM

Nice work. The sounds and music blended well and gave the game a very pleasant atmosphere, and the graphics, while not particularly flashy or eye-catching, were also pleasing and facilitated the game's feel. But this game is held back by some odd design choices.

Some important things aren't very clear; tree branches and trunks are solid, unless you're going the bottom, in which case you can pass through--but there's no indication of that, so I easily could have believed the entire tree to be a solid wall and given up at the second level. If you added a semi transparent section or something at the bottom, that would be helpful. More importantly, each level has only one exit the game will allow you to leave through on the left side, yet usually most of the left screen is empty and blocked by invisible walls, which makes the game's puzzles and trials to reach the "true" exit feel contrived and forced. Adding a visible wall over "false" exits would help tremendously.

Finally, I think the game was a little monotonous after a while... variations on common block/switch puzzles gets tiring after a while, and you didn't offer any new mechanics as my interest waned. This particular critique may be something personal, as I've always been partial to more fast-paced gameplay. I'm sure your game appeals just fine to others.

Overall this is still a good game, and a very solid entry into comp04.

Edited by banov, 31 December 2008 - 07:11 AM.

#11 EasyBeak

EasyBeak

GMC Member

• 87 posts

Posted 31 December 2008 - 11:19 PM

Some important things aren't very clear; tree branches and trunks are solid, unless you're going the bottom, in which case you can pass through--but there's no indication of that, so I easily could have believed the entire tree to be a solid wall and given up at the second level. If you added a semi transparent section or something at the bottom, that would be helpful.

People have said that in the past. I'll look into it and thanks for reminding me.

More importantly, each level has only one exit the game will allow you to leave through on the left side, yet usually most of the left screen is empty and blocked by invisible walls, which makes the game's puzzles and trials to reach the "true" exit feel contrived and forced. Adding a visible wall over "false" exits would help tremendously.

If I could, I think I would change that. Its too late though because that would ruin half the puzzles.

Thanks for the help.

EDIT: I addressed the first problem by adding some arrows carved into the trees showing where you can pass through.

Edited by EasyBeak, 01 January 2009 - 12:15 AM.

#12 Hambone4097

Hambone4097

GMC Member

• 266 posts

Posted 01 January 2009 - 05:25 AM

The download link seems to be broken, or maybe it's just me. Oh well, good luck!

#13 EasyBeak

EasyBeak

GMC Member

• 87 posts

Posted 01 January 2009 - 09:11 AM

The download link seems to be broken, or maybe it's just me. Oh well, good luck!

Sorry about that. I had to copy out the link by hand and typed a 'w' instead of two v's.

#14 CompanionCube

CompanionCube

GMC Member

• 220 posts
  • Version:Unknown

Posted 01 January 2009 - 11:01 PM

I just adore the graphics. They look great.
As for the game...I'm gonna try it when I can. I do really want to play this, I have recently been excited about puzzles since playing Portal.
Some people say that game design is their hobby and they wouldn't want to turn it into a chore by making it a profession. I say if you enjoy what your doing you wouldn't be working anyway.

#15 Hambone4097

Hambone4097

GMC Member

• 266 posts

Posted 02 January 2009 - 12:12 AM

Got to play it, here's what I think

The graphics were just as good as the original little was changed. I liked that. 7/10

Gameplay was simple, but appealing to the casual gamer. Nothing too abstract (from what I've seen). Maybe the start was a bit too slow paced. 6/10

I really liked the music, it was a strong point in the game. The sound effects were appropriate, but maybe could've been a little softer volume wise. 8/10

I liked the interface. The menu looked nice and served it's pupose well. As far as I've gotten, there were no ambiguous rules. And you taught the players how to play effectively. 9/10

I didn't pay attention to the story, so no score here.

Overall, It was worth playing and is a competitor to look out for. Good luck. 7/10 (I weight gameplay more heavily than other aspects.)

#16 EasyBeak

EasyBeak

GMC Member

• 87 posts

Posted 02 January 2009 - 09:53 AM

I appreciate the positive comments and thanks to hambone for the review.

#17 EasyBeak

EasyBeak

GMC Member

• 87 posts

Posted 03 January 2009 - 03:04 AM

I've submitted The Eyeballs 2 into the comp.

Check it out.
The Eyeballs 2

#18 shans60

shans60

GMC Member

• 5 posts

Posted 18 January 2009 - 08:37 PM

This is a really challenging game. All should have a go.