#1 banov

banov

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1170 posts
  • Version:Unknown

Posted 28 December 2008 - 06:17 PM

Posted Image

This is a combat-heavy platforming game that follows a highly skilled assassin. 12 levels, lots of cool unlockables, crazy boss fights.

:DInformation
Title: Assassin Blue
File Size: 9.4 MB
GM Version: GM7
Changes Screen Resolution: No

Controls are included in the game, but for posterity:
Arrow Keys: Move
Arrow Up: Jump
Z: Defend
X: Attack
C: Special
Space: Pause game, view/edit controls
All controls can be changed however you like from the pause menu.

:)Download Links:
Mirror 1:
GameJolt
http://gamejolt.com/...assin-blue/170/

Mirror 2:
YoYoGames
http://www.yoyogames...ames/show/44391

Mirror 3:
WillHostForFood
http://willhostforfo...ssassinBlue.zip

Play in your browser at my website using GM Bed

(Optional) Download the high-quality soundtrack here:
http://gamejolt.com/...nload/170/2251/
The game will load the files upon startup.

^_^Screenshots: (Click to enlarge)
Posted Image
Posted Image

Assassin Blue T-Shirts!: http://www.zazzle.com/banovg*

Misc Links:
How I Make The Levels
Assassin Blue at IndieGames.com!
Let's Play Assassin Blue - Fan-made playthrough + commentary

Support me!
Atlantis_base made some very nice support banners for me.

The BIG one:
[url=http://gmc.yoyogames.com/index.php?showtopic=412818][IMG]http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y125/atlantis_base/AssassinBlueBanner.png[/IMG][/url]
Direct link

Or the LITTLE one:
[url="http://gmc.yoyogames.com/index.php?showtopic=412818"][img]http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y125/atlantis_base/AssassinBlueUserbar.png[/img][/url]
Direct link

Or you can use the banner I have in my signature. The code is:
[url=http://gmc.yoyogames.com/index.php?showtopic=412818][IMG]http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b136/BanovG/AB_banner.png[/IMG][/url]
Direct link

:angry:Credits:
-Banov, as in, me, for ALL sprites, animations, programming, backgrounds and writing... etc.
-Prophecy for composing the soundtrack

Edited by banov, 04 May 2010 - 03:50 AM.

#2 King Chubbles

King Chubbles

GMC Member

• 1052 posts

Posted 28 December 2008 - 06:30 PM

10/10 Amazing! This game is flash worthy! This is one of the best games, if not the best game, i have ever played on game maker!

I commend u! U should go down in game maker history for this!

#3 orange08

orange08

Art Game Movement

• GMC Member
  • 2246 posts
  • Version:GM:HTML5

Posted 28 December 2008 - 06:39 PM

The game is pure awesomeness, Banov.

I reccomend Iji players to play this.

This game is one of the best games I've played, if not THE best.

I also recommend everyone who sees this post to play the game. :D

-orange

Edited by orange08, 20 August 2011 - 04:54 PM.

#4 petenka

petenka

The Chosen One

• 911 posts

Posted 28 December 2008 - 07:03 PM

This is teh leet pwnage.
7h15 15 73h |337 pwn463.
+|-|1$ 1$ +3|-| |33+ |*\X/|\|@63.

#5 stevobread

stevobread

GMC Member

• 88 posts

Posted 28 December 2008 - 07:22 PM

Assassin Blue is probably better than my former favorite GM game

#6 brod

brod

Brian RODriguez

• GMC Member
  • 2046 posts
  • Version:GM8

Posted 28 December 2008 - 08:15 PM

*sniff* I'm so happy the game's done, best GM game by far imo ^_^

Grats on completion banov! Start that pirate game now xD

Also, you should resubmit AB at YoyoGames so you can get a staff pick :x

Edited by brod, 28 December 2008 - 08:24 PM.

#7 homebrewpc

homebrewpc

GMC Member

• 651 posts

Posted 28 December 2008 - 08:34 PM

One of my favorite games, I even featured it on GMA, so you know it's good ^_^

#8 [M]edieval

[M]edieval

MediYama Games

• 600 posts

Posted 28 December 2008 - 08:38 PM

Quite a nice game, though it has some flaws, graphic and gameplay-wise. Don't worry, I'm going to be a little harsh perhaps but constructive.

First, the graphics. The character and enemy graphics don't blend in with the background, and it makes it look kind of unappealing. I really like the background, and the characters could in a sense work in a game, but not a combination of these two.

Then the gameplay. I found the counter kill to be quite hard to do. I tried to be fancy, counter-killing enemies with a *swoosh*, but things went wrong and I almost died, twice. It shouldn't be easy to pull it off, but this is almost frame-perfect timing. Also, the white flash on the enemies is misleading because it makes me think that I need to hit them for a counter, while it actually won't pull anything off. The rest of the player's physics and attacks are good, but could use a fair bit of tweaking.

Don't get me wrong here, your game is well done and enjoyable. I just can't help but to find flaws in games. It has potential, put it to its full use!

#9 fawful

fawful

dear leader

• GMC Member
  • 1321 posts

Posted 28 December 2008 - 09:47 PM

Very nice!I wouldn't go as far to say that it's the best GM game ever *coughnotbyfarcough* but it's still an awesome game that is definitely worthy of praise,Nice work,this is an awesome game.

#10 pounce

pounce

GMC Member

• Banned Users
  • 176 posts

Posted 28 December 2008 - 09:55 PM

This game is flash worthy!

That's an insult, mate. Flash games suck.

#11 orange08

orange08

Art Game Movement

• GMC Member
  • 2246 posts

Posted 28 December 2008 - 11:47 PM

Very nice!I wouldn't go as far to say that it's the best GM game ever *coughnotbyfarcough* but it's still an awesome game that is definitely worthy of praise,Nice work,this is an awesome game.

You dont think its the best GM game ever?
Im not sure either.. But its probably the best GM game that I've ever played

I also forgot to rate the game.
10/10
!!! -_-

-orange08

#12 pounce

pounce

GMC Member

• Banned Users
  • 176 posts

Posted 29 December 2008 - 12:06 AM

Doesn't look so good from the screenshot.

Hmm. Funny how none of the reviews say WHY this game is the "best ever made lawl"

Looks like a lot of BS from my perspective, I'll wait for actual honest reviews.

#13 banov

banov

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1170 posts

Posted 29 December 2008 - 12:20 AM

O.o Talk about positive reaction! Thanks to everyone who's been following the game and chipped in a post here, your feedback's been really uplifting. I'll respond post by post...

@King Chubbles:
Thanks! Though I agree with pounce, flash-worthy doesn't really sound like a compliment :p

@orange08:
Thanks again! I've never played Iji myself, I might go ahead and try it out.

@petenka:
Um... thanks? o.o

@stevobread:
That was a pretty wordy sentence there. Still, glad you enjoyed it too...

@brod:
Uhm, I'll try and get a staff pick without resubmitting. And we'll see about that pirate game...

@homebrewpc:
Wow, thanks! Being featured's always pretty cool...

@Medieval:
Man, some criticism's refreshing. Graphics-wise, I can kind of see what you're getting at. But, I personally like how my crappy sprites look against hand-drawn backgrounds. Maybe I'm not in the majority, but it's far too late to remake every sprite in the game anyway. As for the counter... well, that took me a lot of work. The timing is actually 2 or 3 frames (game moves at 30 fps), and I did a lot of testing to get it right. It ended up being that the window was either too large or a little too small (separated by only 1 frame!), and I aired on the side of small because counters would be cheap if you learned to perfect the timing quickly. Otherwise, glad you enjoyed it!

@fawful:
Coolness, I remember you from when the game still had only 1 or 2 levels... good to see you return, and thanks for another encouraging post :]

@orange08:
Much appreciated!

@pounce:
Don't judge the entire game by its screenshots! There's nothing preventing you from being the first one to give me honest review here. Why not at least try it?

Edited by banov, 29 December 2008 - 12:37 AM.

#14 brod

brod

Brian RODriguez

• GMC Member
  • 2046 posts

Posted 29 December 2008 - 12:21 AM

Doesn't look so good from the screenshot.

Hmm. Funny how none of the reviews say WHY this game is the "best ever made lawl"

Looks like a lot of BS from my perspective, I'll wait for actual honest reviews.

I'd suggest finding the W.I.P. topic for some reviews, coping and pasting takes a bit too long I'm afraid. -_-

Edited by brod, 29 December 2008 - 12:24 AM.

#15 banov

banov

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1170 posts

Posted 29 December 2008 - 12:23 AM

@Brod + pounce:
http://gmc.yoyogames...howtopic=386892
Here it is!

Here are some reviews from the last week before it was released...

A very well polished game Banov, and I'm really glad I got to play it throught to the end.
The enemy ai was pretty good, especially the Boss' body guards, you did a good job. -_-
Very nice use of particles, and the blood effects were really fun to watch. They sort of
gradually bled to nothing.
The bosses were good and forceful enough, and I liked the 'finishing off' idea, it really worked nicely. Made it more dramtic. -_-
Red had a bit too much health I though, about twice the other bosses, so it was a bit of a surprise to the system.
I love his sword dashing attack. :skull:
Nice job on this. 9.1/10

I have been looking forward to these final levels for a long time, and now that they're here, I can proudly say that this is one of the best games on the GMC! It really is near-professional quality.

The final levels were good. The puzzles were excellent and the storytelling was absolutely spectacular. I especially loved the cinematic moment at the end of level 11. The black characters on the white background made it really effective. I usually have no trouble finding the targets, but I had quite a bit of difficulty finding the last few on level 11. I only found 2 of them. The final boss was difficult the first time. I died 2 times before finally defeating him. The dialogue really showed great personality behind the characters.

I only found one bug. At the point where there's a stack of stone blocks supported by 2 crates, when I broke the upper crate, the block above it got stuck and replayed the floor hit sound over and over. I had to go out the door and go back in it to stop it. It wasn't too bad of a bug though, and only occurred once.

I finished the final levels, then played through the game again to experience all the glory once again. Though I have said it before, I cannot praise this game enough. It is nearly perfect the way it is.

By the way, I completed Boss Rush Mode.
My Time: 5:33 (333 seconds)

Those are a couple of the more detailed posts I could find.

Edited by banov, 29 December 2008 - 12:27 AM.

#16 spazman0

spazman0

GMC Member

• 213 posts

Posted 29 December 2008 - 12:37 AM

For some reason, playing the game on your website, I can't break the crate on level 5. I sit there attacking it for about 5 mins and it still doesn't break. Is this a bug? or something wrong with GMBED?

When I am able to finish the game, I will give a review.

Edited by spazman0, 29 December 2008 - 12:38 AM.

#17 pounce

pounce

GMC Member

• Banned Users
  • 176 posts

Posted 29 December 2008 - 12:39 AM

Ok thanks, it seemed to me like this was a big prank. I'm sure you guys can understand. I'll give this a try now.

PS if this game is as good as they say, I'm posting in the first page of a soon-to-be-over-80-pages-thread.

Edited by pounce, 29 December 2008 - 12:40 AM.

#18 banov

banov

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1170 posts

Posted 29 December 2008 - 01:06 AM

@spazman:
I have _no_ idea why that happens. Absolutely no idea. Never, in all my times playing through the game, playing God knows how many crates, has one refused to break. Does it react to being hit? Did you try restarting the level? Perhaps restarting the game? I can only assume there was some issue with how GM Bed loaded the game... o.o

@pounce:
Whether or not the game's that good, this topic's being infested with posts anyway -_- I'll be looking forward to your comments, I'm sure you'd love nothing better than to prove everyone else wrong, so I'm betting you'll have some helpful c&c...

@petenka:
"Assassin Blue is the ultimate game"?

@spazman (2):
Agreed!

#19 King Chubbles

King Chubbles

GMC Member

• 1052 posts

Posted 29 December 2008 - 01:39 AM

This game is flash worthy!

That's an insult, mate. Flash games suck.

Lawl Ur right. Tho sum gamez r that r flash r good. This is a great game is what im getting at

#20 spazman0

spazman0

GMC Member

• 213 posts

Posted 29 December 2008 - 01:47 AM

It seems there has been some moderating in this thread O.o

Also, I re-loaded the game in GM Bed, and it did it again. The crates still reacted and everything, it just seems like their health variable is getting messed up. Going to try YYG now.

EDIT: YYG doesn't seem to work either, how many times are you supposed to hit them before they break??

EDIT2: I just left a macro running for the past few minutes, constantly attacking with the "X" attack, it's definitely not breaking.

Edited by spazman0, 29 December 2008 - 02:04 AM.

#21 spazman0

spazman0

GMC Member

• 213 posts

Posted 29 December 2008 - 02:05 AM

The particle effects and the squares are coming out of the crate when I hit it, but it isn't dying. I'll screencap it and upload it to youtube for your viewing.

Also, it isn't having any funky sound or anything, just the normal attack sound and a thud sorta sound which I assume is the crate.

Edited by spazman0, 29 December 2008 - 02:08 AM.

#22 overboy

overboy

Andrew Brophy

• GMC Member
  • 668 posts

Posted 29 December 2008 - 02:11 AM

Wow, I didn't realize that this was completed! I thought it may have been another one of those new users posting it for you...
Anyway, I'll play it again from start to finish and I'll write a review!

#23 banov

banov

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1170 posts

Posted 29 December 2008 - 02:29 AM

spazman0:
Yeah, I have no idea. Maybe seeing the video will help.

@AndrewAP:
Cool beans, looking forward to that review! I'm on page two already and yet haven't had a solid, detailed review yet :P

Edited by banov, 29 December 2008 - 02:29 AM.

#24 spazman0

spazman0

GMC Member

• 213 posts

Posted 29 December 2008 - 02:38 AM

Here is the link to the Youtube vid of the glitch. I could have gone for much longer, but since you said it's supposed to break in 3 slashes I figured this was long enough. http://au.youtube.co...h?v=CI9q3-BUWx8

#25 banov

banov

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1170 posts

Posted 29 December 2008 - 02:56 AM

Ah-HA! The crate's being destroyed normally, but for some reason there's a gigantic amount of crates at the same coordinates. I still have no idea why that happened, but I can create a cheap fix...

#26 orange08

orange08

Art Game Movement

• GMC Member
  • 2246 posts

Posted 29 December 2008 - 03:03 AM

Haha, Banov. I just discovered another one of your little ideas!
When you stay still for a while it makes you do a lil sword slash thing -_- Did you think anyone would notice that?

#27 Atlantis_base

Atlantis_base

GMC Member

• 188 posts

Posted 29 December 2008 - 05:39 PM

At least I can now play the game when clicking ignore at the error screens. -_- Still, it is kinda annoying getting those.

Anyway, I'll try to play through the game and post a review. =)

Greetz, Atlantis

Edited by Atlantis_base, 29 December 2008 - 07:02 PM.

#28 jarcon

jarcon

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 976 posts

Posted 29 December 2008 - 05:46 PM

Yeah, I noticed that too, orange.

Now, Banov, I know you've been waiting for a decent review. Here I am! I promised you an in-depth review, so here you go.

First of all, I'd like to congratulate you for creating one of my favorite games of all time. Blue is deep game, filled with twists and turns in your amazing(although I admit, a bit cliche) storyline, impressive and unique graphics that stand out more than any other game I've ever seen, incredible, deep and addictive gameplay, with a great and fitting soundtrack, and a game that will leave an outstanding mark on me.
Now, here are some more detailed and specific things;

Graphics; The graphics, like I said, stand out more than any other game I've seen before. I agree with you that the combination of your unique sprites and hand drawn backgrounds seem to fit well together. But I did notice that the animations, although pretty smooth, had a bit of a laggy playout. It may have been because you didn't have a large number of frames, which is understandable, because the characters are pretty small. But overall, 9/10

Sound; Incredible soundtrack, I applaud Prophecy for his great skill. It fits very well with the game, and you use it where it should be, giving the game a dramatic effect. Especially in the cinematic scenes, where you sound effects also come in. When Red slowly steps forward towards the target, suspense builds up, and then a shuddering tearing sound of a sword striking, and a red flash. Brilliant, I must say. No complaints at all here. 10/10

Gameplay; The gameplay to Blue had a great pace, sometimes pretty fast although not too fast. You had great combo execution, which turned out to be very useful when bosses paused after their attacks, dealing some extra damage rather than the default three strike combo. The puzzles were also a good addition, giving them game some more depth and also a break from the combat. The vine climbing and swinging was also fun, I loved sliding down the vine and toppling the idiots down to their doom. And the wall jumping also made for interesting gameplay, and some fun timing to try and attack the targets while doing so. The bosses, also, made for some fun and challenging battling. Each one is unique, with its own special moves and weaknesses.
Basically, all the elements of gameplay were well executed, and resulted in smooth, good paced, fun and addictive game play, along with great replayability value. 10/10

Story; Ahh, the story. Probably the most attractive element of Assassin Blue. Like I said, there were some parts that were maybe a bit cliche, but I wouldn't recommend changing it. The twists, the turns, the dramatic points and the constant suspense building... It was great. Very enjoyable. I'd also like to applaud you on the cinematic ending of level 11, which had my heart racing and my eyes popped wide open. That wasn't the only point I was experiencing those symptoms, I assure you. -_- 10/10

Overall Execution; 9.75/10

Bravo!

#29 IKSB

IKSB

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 562 posts

Posted 29 December 2008 - 06:51 PM

First of all, the controls sucked...

...just kidding. -_-

Good to see this finally out of the WIP forum.

Well, you asked for a full review, and so I shall give you one. First off, congrats on having the second GM game I have ever bothered to complete from start to finish.

Graphics: 8/10
Pretty good for the style you were going for. Nothing really to complain about but a game could always use a little more, if you know what I mean.
Story: 8/10
As I've said before in the WIP topic, it is rather obvious that your side is the bad side, but that's not really a problem. I would say my biggest problem is the way it ended. The boss wimpering and whining.... I think he should have been a little nastier than that, but maybe that's just me. Also the end seemed kind of... anti climatic.
Sound: 9/10
Nothing bad, but nothing fancy. Original score was appreciated. I hate it when you hear some dead obvious sonic music in a game that is clearly NOT sonic... yeah...
Gameplay: 8/10
Sword fights could be either really cool, really dull, or really frustrating. But over all it was good. The wall jumping, vine climbing and all that was really good.
Controls: 10/10
Okay, fine! The freakin' controls were great, customizable. Can't beat that. Must I admit defeat again?!
Level Design: 15/10
The last level was INCREDIBLE. It actually made you feel tense while trying to dodge around in the Indiana Jones Dungeon. Plus the keys unlocking the door animation was pretty darn tight.
Smoothness: 9.5/10
One really glaring glitch in the game. When you are chasing the senetor with Red and you get to the thug boss, whenever he chucked a grenade at you it would come up with this error:
for object greengrenadeobj:

Error in code at line 1:
   if reflect=0{

at position 4: Unknown variable reflect
NOT good. May wanna take a look at that, but there was nothing else I could find.
Fun: 9/10
Over all, I thought it was pretty darn good.

Total Score: 62/70

Excellent game. KUDOS! -_-

#30 lum taylor

lum taylor

GMC Member

• 421 posts

Posted 29 December 2008 - 10:34 PM

Great game, I love the simple graphics.

Also its well coded, the swordplay works well and rarely gets glitched.

In my opinion a perfect example of what a classic platformer should be like, wondering why this isn't featured on YYG.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users