176 replies to this topic

#51 brod

brod

Brian RODriguez

• GMC Member
  • 2050 posts
  • Version:GM8

Posted 31 December 2008 - 05:24 PM

Wasn't aware a game need "lots of cool gameplay features" to be good. It may be your opinion, but you should still give more of an explination.. Because that's a pretty bad reason to say it's a "meh" game.

#52 banov

banov

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1172 posts
  • Version:Unknown

Posted 31 December 2008 - 06:46 PM

Leave DMaster alone, guys, it just wasn't his type of game. I can't expect to please everybody!

#53 swoodplaya

swoodplaya

GMC Member

• 373 posts

Posted 31 December 2008 - 07:54 PM

Freakin' wonderful game.

Played all the way through, and I can't say that for many many GM games.

Very nice work. :D

#54 Atlantis_base

Atlantis_base

GMC Member

• 188 posts

Posted 31 December 2008 - 08:36 PM

Leave DMaster alone, guys, it just wasn't his type of game. I can't expect to please everybody!

No, you can't. Still, if someone dislikes aspects of a game, it is even more important to make clear what he/she dislikes and why. It's nice to hear that people like this or that about a game but the real opportunities for improvement come from things that people do NOT like when playing.

And seeing as most games on the gmc are free, I think this is the best way of returning something for playing a free game. Helps both sides.

Greetz, Atlantis

Edited by Atlantis_base, 31 December 2008 - 08:36 PM.

#55 Dmaster270

Dmaster270

GMC Member

• 1736 posts

Posted 31 December 2008 - 10:20 PM

No, you can't. Still, if someone dislikes aspects of a game, it is even more important to make clear what he/she dislikes and why. It's nice to hear that people like this or that about a game but the real opportunities for improvement come from things that people do NOT like when playing.

And seeing as most games on the gmc are free, I think this is the best way of returning something for playing a free game. Helps both sides.

Greetz, Atlantis

So you'd like to know? I found nothing unique about this game. The closest thing I found to this was the Storyline. The game used tried and true gameplay mechanics which seem boring to me because I've played so many games with it. I can just jump over any enemie that gets in my way, and everything I do in this game is on a steady path. I can't kill red before the last level, nor can I kill him in the last level, the game is short too.
PM me with an email for a Lockerz invite.

#56 banov

banov

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1172 posts

Posted 01 January 2009 - 04:32 PM

@swoodplaya:
Many thanks!

And @Dmaster:
I'm sorry you feel that way. Again, it seems that it's basically the entire concept that you don't like, and I'll accept that I can't please everybody. Perhaps you'll enjoy whatever I make next a little more...

#57 LeonsBuddyDave

LeonsBuddyDave

OoT2D Creator

• 650 posts

Posted 03 January 2009 - 02:20 AM

But....bu...how has this fallen from the front page?! For that matter, how is it not featured? C'mon people, play this!

#58 orange08

orange08

Art Game Movement

• GMC Member
  • 2272 posts
  • Version:GM:HTML5

Posted 03 January 2009 - 03:08 AM

But....bu...how has this fallen from the front page?! For that matter, how is it not featured? C'mon people, play this!

Maybe If I put it in my sig...

Banov, maybe you could make a code for supporters to put in their sigs? To advertise your game.
Just an idea.

-orange

Z8vrE7W.png WRhLqHy.png
"I'm just glad Off-topic isn't being removed. Otherwise I risk actually doing something productive." -RoyTheShort

#59 Atlantis_base

Atlantis_base

GMC Member

• 188 posts

Posted 03 January 2009 - 04:00 AM

Alright, inspired by orange08's nice idea I came up with a Banner for this game. This is nothing that the game creator has approved or even seen yet, I just had the idea to make this when I read oranges08's post.

So if you like the game, use this:
Posted Image

Code for this is:
[url=http://gmc.yoyogames.com/index.php?showtopic=412818][IMG]http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y125/atlantis_base/AssassinBlueBanner.png[/IMG][/url]

And in case banov doesn't approve of it, I'll remove it of course. =)

Greetz, Atlantis

Edited by Atlantis_base, 03 January 2009 - 04:38 AM.

#60 banov

banov

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1172 posts

Posted 03 January 2009 - 04:15 AM

Works for me, Atlantis. I'll make a smaller version for those who don't feel like devoting THAT much space to my game... and I'll put yours on the first post.

Edited by banov, 03 January 2009 - 04:23 AM.

#61 Atlantis_base

Atlantis_base

GMC Member

• 188 posts

Posted 03 January 2009 - 04:36 AM

So for the folks who don't want to devote their sig to only one good game and only use those userbar-style sigs...

Posted Image

And the code is:
[url="http://gmc.yoyogames.com/index.php?showtopic=412818"][img]http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y125/atlantis_base/AssassinBlueUserbar.png[/img][/url]

(Hope he won't kill me for making up stuff for his game. If banov comes round the corner with pointy things... warn me, will you? ^_^)

Greetz, Atlantis

Edited by Atlantis_base, 03 January 2009 - 04:39 AM.

#62 banov

banov

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1172 posts

Posted 05 January 2009 - 01:40 AM

No worries, Atlantis. How could I be angry at you for making such nifty support banners? You make me feel all special and fuzzy.

#63 orange08

orange08

Art Game Movement

• GMC Member
  • 2272 posts

Posted 05 January 2009 - 03:02 AM

Fuzzy?
You make me laugh.. maybe its how you talk ^_^
Anyways on to business :D Has anybody else gotten a counter streak of 10? :P

Z8vrE7W.png WRhLqHy.png
"I'm just glad Off-topic isn't being removed. Otherwise I risk actually doing something productive." -RoyTheShort

#64 Atlantis_base

Atlantis_base

GMC Member

• 188 posts

Posted 05 January 2009 - 07:36 AM

Psht. Barely made it to 4 or 5 counters in a row. >_>

banov, I know you consider this game finished, when are we gonna see your next one? ^_^

Greetz, Atlantis

#65 banov

banov

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1172 posts

Posted 07 January 2009 - 12:59 AM

Ha, I don't I've even gotten a streak of 10. On the other hand, I never really tried... I think there are different ways to cheaply get a counter streak though, as slashing through shieldbroken enemies adds to the count. So you could keep leaving and re-entering a room with shielding enemies and keep countering them for infinite counters.

Don't take the streak as a serious competitive thing, it was just something I thought would be fun to keep track of.

As for my next game... still thinking! I have a few half-baked engines floating around and I've been making some more cool ones out of boredom. I might just do something small, like an arcade game or something... who knows. Keep an eye on my signature.

#66 orange08

orange08

Art Game Movement

• GMC Member
  • 2272 posts

Posted 07 January 2009 - 03:43 PM

Ha, I don't I've even gotten a streak of 10. On the other hand, I never really tried... I think there are different ways to cheaply get a counter streak though, as slashing through shieldbroken enemies adds to the count. So you could keep leaving and re-entering a room with shielding enemies and keep countering them for infinite counters.

Don't take the streak as a serious competitive thing, it was just something I thought would be fun to keep track of.

As for my next game... still thinking! I have a few half-baked engines floating around and I've been making some more cool ones out of boredom. I might just do something small, like an arcade game or something... who knows. Keep an eye on my signature.

Yeah.. you might want to try to make something different. :)
Both of your games involve attacking things. :)

Z8vrE7W.png WRhLqHy.png

#67 scattle

scattle

GMC Member

• 32 posts

Posted 08 January 2009 - 04:48 AM

Dude! Great work Banov! This game is so cool!

I hope you don't mind, but I made a little review of it on my blog. (Check the signature)

Anyway, keep up the good work!

#68 King Chubbles

King Chubbles

GMC Member

• 1052 posts

Posted 10 January 2009 - 12:50 AM

As i said in teh first post great game.

but thats not why im posting.

I think that you should make a assasin blue online!]

choose one of three factions/nations/clans.

Fight eachother in new leveles and levles from the game.

it would be cool :lol:
Posted Image

#69 Fiender

Fiender

GMC Member

• 912 posts

Posted 10 January 2009 - 05:03 PM

I only played up to the first boss (Riley), but what I did get through I enjoyed! Great game.
Posted Image

The Alliance progress:
|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||| 35%

#70 orange08

orange08

Art Game Movement

• GMC Member
  • 2272 posts

Posted 10 January 2009 - 06:18 PM

Congratulations on getting in the cage match! I hope you win.. :)

Z8vrE7W.png WRhLqHy.png

#71 stevobread

stevobread

GMC Member

• 88 posts

Posted 10 January 2009 - 11:23 PM

now Assassin Blue is in the cage match and featured!

Edited by stevobread, 10 January 2009 - 11:24 PM.

#72 orange08

orange08

Art Game Movement

• GMC Member
  • 2272 posts

Posted 10 January 2009 - 11:28 PM

Featured on the first page. grats banov!!

Edited by orange08, 16 November 2015 - 08:00 PM.

Z8vrE7W.png WRhLqHy.png

#73 banov

banov

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1172 posts

Posted 11 January 2009 - 04:28 PM

Yes, I am incredibly excited to be in the cage match and a featured game. I was really disappointed when Wolf didn't make the cut!

I've uploaded one *last* update. I fixed a couple small bugs, tweaked a couple things nobody will notice, and added the ability to separately download the game's soundtrack in mp3s... the game will load the files in upon startup. So for people who didn't like the soundtrack/thought it was too low quality, this would be for you.

Edited by banov, 11 January 2009 - 04:29 PM.

#74 }{dark}{

}{dark}{

if internet==0

• GMC Member
  • 525 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 12 January 2009 - 01:41 AM

This game is so cool. I have no complaints.

I give it 10/10

#75 DBB

DBB

GMC Member

• 248 posts

Posted 12 January 2009 - 08:19 PM

I love this game. In fact, this is the only game I have ever played that I didn't quit after the first 5 minutes. Love it, love it, love it. I don't know if anyone said this before me but is there a possibility in a sequel? A versus mode seems like it'd be cool for this game and co-op story would go along with it as well. :( Heck, add more replayability and make the story longer, touch up some of the graphics and I'd even go out on a limb and say it's worthy of being on Xbox Live Arcade. :)

#76 Katuko

Katuko

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 5968 posts

Posted 12 January 2009 - 10:02 PM

First, I want to say that I enjoyed this game, even with many small flaws (and one very big). It made me want to finish it, but it didn't want me to replay it after I got the unlockables. Details below. (Story spoilers as well, folks.)

Gameplay:
- Movement is good. No glitches as far as I could see. Sliding down walls was fun, but climbing up felt kind of weird. It was nice to be able to attack while climbing, though. Not many platforms let you do that. The sword moves were great, I enjoyed the combos. Still, I hated the fact that there was no way of knowing whether I would hit or get damaged. It appeared to happen somewhat at random, even during my combo attacks.
- The parrying was also a nice touch, but you get like, what, a fourth of a second to react to the white flash? If you added a sliiiight bit of leeway it would have been much better.
- Hitting back grenades gave me an error message. I suggest you fix that.
- The final stage gave me some trouble with all its twisting corridors. Sometimes I was at a loss about what was below me.
- The "battle cutscenes" (where you had to press buttons) were awesome.

Graphics:
When playing in windowed mode, the pixel art is great. The hand-drawn backgrounds were a nice touch as well, but they become blurry when stretched to fullscreen. The pixel art becomes horrible when stretched. Some sort of anti-smoothness like what 9_6 posted recently would make this better.
Battle effects: Good, but the standard particle effects looked kind out-of-place compared to the other attack animations.

Music and sound effects:
Good melodies, fit the tone of the game. No complaints here.

Story:
- Well, from the forest stage onwards it was certainly predictable. It might have to do with us actually seeing The Boss sending Red after Blue to the desert, or just the kind-of-cliche back story. (Red being Blue's brother, and such.)
- Red's viciousness is portrayed chillingly when he kills the family in the woods. That's good.
- Blue wanting to rid himself of guilt and also choosing to spare Red was good, though. (Even though he should definitely have died from that wound. Having your arm cut off isn't going to let you live for more than a few minutes.)
- I was disappointed at not being able to kill Boss myself. I wouldn't have minded a battle in complete darkness with only the occasional flash of lightning, I just wanted to combo that sucker into next week.

Interface and controls
Plus: Customizable controls, so they were of course good. The menu was laid out in an easy-to-understand matter.
Minus: This is the big flaw I mentioned above. The save system is a nuked train wreck of a catastrophe. Whatever menu I go to I am interrupted by at least ten file reading errors. While the save game still works this should have been fixed way before you released the game.

Overall, it's a decent game. I won't give a numeral rating, because that's a superficial and frankly quite stupid way of measuring opinions.
So I'll just say: Keep up the good work.
My other profiles: WordPress | deviantART | Steam

#77 banov

banov

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1172 posts

Posted 12 January 2009 - 10:49 PM

That's interesting, Katuko, I've never heard of any of those errors. Are you sure you have the latest update of the game?

#78 desertdweller

desertdweller

Love Truth

• 1255 posts

Posted 12 January 2009 - 11:31 PM

I didn't get an error, and the game looked very nice. However, on the second "level" [when you first learn to wall jump] on the second room in that level, I went back to the first room to see if there was a way to get that target underneath some castle wall. I went back to the first room of that level, but without Blue, and had to quit the game via Task Manager.

"We have no government armed with power capable of contending with human passions unbridled by morality and religion . . .
our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." - John Adams

Working on music off and on. School gets in the way. My site's a mess of non-updatedness.

#79 Ecstats

Ecstats

GMC Member

• 844 posts

Posted 13 January 2009 - 10:25 AM

After seeing this game being mentioned a couple of times here in the GMC I decided to try it out. It was certainly entertaining; I played until the end, but like Katuko I have no wish to replay it. It's a fairly solid game, but there's nothing special to it.
The movement felt pretty good most of the time, however you can get stuck in the ground if you come down from above at an angle. This bug is apparent in many GM platformers. I also got this error when dying once at the last boss:

ERROR in
action number 2
of Alarm Event for alarm 0
for object redobj:

Error in code at line 18:

case 2: pattern2=pattern; if hiroobj.x>x{dir=0}else{dir=1} pattern=2; speed=0; mode=2; sprite_index=redrushcharge1spr; image_index=0; break;

at position 39: Unknown variable x

Combat was mostly good, however in the last couple of levels I mostly just jumped over the enemies, instead of getting hurt fighting them. It was a bit confusing that there were different kinds of those white assassins/ninjas/guards or whatever they were but they looked exactly the same. Like they had different moves, but the same appearance. Recoloring each kind would be better in my opinion.
Every boss was extremely easy, and they were not very different to each other (except the face-thing in that temple). And the bosses had this very long downtime between attacks, during which they were vulnerable. I think that time was too long. Maybe shorten it a bit and also decrease the bosses hp a little?

As for graphics, they were simple but worked out pretty well. Blue has smooth and many animations, good work on that. I didn't like the particle effects though, like the flamethrower traps.

The story was OK, however it quickly became quite predictable; I've seen it all before. It did give you the motivation to continue playing through to the end though.

#80 drazzke

drazzke

GMC Member

• 1084 posts

Posted 13 January 2009 - 05:17 PM

Hay Banov. Great game! I really like it.

I was writing a blog post on my website, about some of my favorite recently released GM games, and I gave a short review on my opinion of Assasin Blue. I posted it on YYG.
http://www.yoyogames...iews/show/28916

Noel Berry | Portfolio | Twitter | Leap4Blue
Game Maker | PHP/MYSQL | HTML/CSS | Flash/AS3

#81 LeonsBuddyDave

LeonsBuddyDave

OoT2D Creator

• 650 posts

Posted 14 January 2009 - 05:17 AM

With Banov's permission, I have started the Wikipedia article on Assassin Blue.

http://en.wikipedia....i/Assassin_Blue

Everybody pitch in, let's make it great to show our appreciation for this game!

#82 King Tetiro

King Tetiro

King of Orenna

• GMC Member
  • 2549 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 14 January 2009 - 07:01 AM

It's already up for deletion.

If I have provided feedback on a game of yours, it would be epic if you do the same!
LND_Twitter_Icon.png Leon_Topic_Icon.png

Leon [PC]  | |Texture Page Calculator for GMStudio | Analog Sticks for GMStudio

#83 LeonsBuddyDave

LeonsBuddyDave

OoT2D Creator

• 650 posts

Posted 14 January 2009 - 01:03 PM

The more people we have contributing to it, the less likely it is that it will be deleted. If you have even the tiniest thing to add, go for it!

#84 W-rhine

W-rhine

GMC Member

• 1 posts

Posted 14 January 2009 - 01:25 PM

Well i think its a really good game!, but i thought there should be some magics or something to make it a little more easy ^_^ , i came to the last boss and i havent won the game yet. but else it´s a really great game :P

Edited by W-rhine, 14 January 2009 - 01:26 PM.

#85 stevobread

stevobread

GMC Member

• 88 posts

Posted 14 January 2009 - 08:12 PM

what's with all these people wanting the game to be easier? it would've been even better if it was harder...

#86 banov

banov

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1172 posts

Posted 14 January 2009 - 10:29 PM

Nice! I love the wiki page, I made some changes to it myself now.

#87 stevobread

stevobread

GMC Member

• 88 posts

Posted 14 January 2009 - 10:46 PM

i made my contribution: an apostrophe...
but there are grenades in the game, so the setting section is untrue

oh and i also found that the blog link goes to banov.blogspot.com|/
and there's another one in the yoyogames home link

i'm not sure why i didn't do it myself...

Edited by stevobread, 15 January 2009 - 07:49 PM.

#88 lars141

lars141

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 716 posts

Posted 23 January 2009 - 10:42 PM

Assasin Blue Review
My first one too.. So it may be weird

The Story: 8/10
Good storyline, I agree.
The only thing what bugs me is why the hell are there goblins?
And why does the boss have insane-going samurais?
Otherwise, good story and humour!

The Gameplay: 9/10
Cuztomizeable. Can't beat that!
Then only thing is the counter-attack.
It's supposed to be hard, for a 1 hit KO,
but this is really frame timing.
But the effects were good too!
I like the "Pfft" when u Counter-attack :GM124:
But it seems you used Gamemaker's standard effects,
for the blocking! They're good effects,
but after seeing them in hundreds of games, they're getting bored.

The Music And Sounds: 7/10
Im not a fan of Midi, kinda hate it actually, so i'll try to rate it properly.
The music did fit sometimes, and sometimes they dont.
Now for the sounds. I like the sounds!
I dont have much more to judge about the sounds.. ^_^

The Sprites And Images: 8/10
The backgrounds were drawn very good!
But they didn't blend well with the player and enemy sprites.
The player and enemy sprites were good too,
although when you jump your head seems smaller.
I like the combo sprites!

Overall Score: 8/10
Good game to play when ur bored, and when ur sick too,
because I was bored and sick today.
It has a nice story and dialogs and I like the boss battles.
It's a bit dissapointing it was so short.
But hey, it has unlockables!

^_^ Lars141 ^_^
Posted Image 2000+ Downloads! "I laughed hard" "That made my day" "20/10 awesomness!"

#89 banov

banov

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1172 posts

Posted 25 January 2009 - 10:34 PM

Hey, guys! Awesome news! I was featured on IndieGames.com! In addition to that, a really cool series of videos popped up on YouTube over the weekend: Let's Play Assassin Blue, a fan-made playthrough of the game with some pretty funny commentary.

Thanks for all the support, everyone, this has been my first taste of real recognition outside our little circle.

#90 filmmaker3000

filmmaker3000

[Director]

• 164 posts

Posted 25 January 2009 - 10:51 PM

That game was so much fun. SO MUCH FUN! I LOVED it. SPECTACULAR story, SPECTACULAR controls. AMAZING environment. Some of the characters animations werent perfect, but i LOVE the feel. Some collision problems, but it was okay. I had so much fun playing this game. I beat it, =P

Thank you for making such a fun game. Congrats.

#91 jarcon

jarcon

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 976 posts

Posted 25 January 2009 - 11:26 PM

Hey, banov! Congratulations on all your success! ;D

#92 orange08

orange08

Art Game Movement

• GMC Member
  • 2272 posts

Posted 27 January 2009 - 01:42 AM

I sure hope this gets in the hall of fame!!! =D

Z8vrE7W.png WRhLqHy.png

#93 Mpr.

Mpr.

GMC Member

• 9 posts

Posted 29 January 2009 - 07:07 PM

This is a great game! 10/10 easily better than any game ive ever played on GM. I vote for Assassin Blue 2!

My only problem was trying to get the key to open the locked door in the tomb.... The brick things, i get stuck in them.

Posted Image

#94 TD Games

TD Games

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1304 posts

Posted 29 January 2009 - 07:27 PM

I can't get pass the first boss: The President. I probably sound really nooby. :lol:

Anyways, great game. And good job.

#95 orange08

orange08

Art Game Movement

• GMC Member
  • 2272 posts

Posted 29 January 2009 - 07:42 PM

Analyze Riley's attacks, and be ready for them. wink1.gif

I know I couldnt get past him at first either...

-orange

Edit: You guys should really buy and try out those extra attacks. ohmy.gif

Edited by orange08, 16 November 2015 - 08:00 PM.

Z8vrE7W.png WRhLqHy.png

#96 jarcon

jarcon

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 976 posts

Posted 29 January 2009 - 10:30 PM

I did buy the extra attacks, but honestly, I never used them. I made out quite well with the standard combo and the special attack.

#97 Mpr.

Mpr.

GMC Member

• 9 posts

Posted 29 January 2009 - 10:59 PM

I finally beat the game, 10/10.

Pros
-Music was great
-Intresting Levels
-Wasnt to easy
-Wasnt to hard
-The bosses were awesome
-Some parts were puzzling

Cons
-Too short

#98 banov

banov

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1172 posts

Posted 29 January 2009 - 11:04 PM

The specials are good for the samurais at the end of the game, since they tend to guard while you're mid-combo. Just hit special attack while swinging and you'll break their guard right away! You can also use the XXXC special to extend your combo one hit, which is useful. The last attack in XXC does 2 damage instead of 1 (all other attacks do just one), which comes in handy occasionally. And XC's long-range rush could be used to hit a guarding enemy from a distance away.

This is a great game! 10/10 easily better than any game ive ever played on GM. I vote for Assassin Blue 2!

My only problem was trying to get the key to open the locked door in the tomb.... The brick things, i get stuck in them.

Posted Image

Wow, how did you even end up stuck there? Did you hit the switch mid-air? I thought I put it out of reach but that seems to be the only possibility...

No, what you're supposed to do is kill all the enemies that spawn at the bottom! I think that one puzzle could have been better designed...

#99 orange08

orange08

Art Game Movement

• GMC Member
  • 2272 posts

Posted 30 January 2009 - 03:35 PM

I did buy the extra attacks, but honestly, I never used them. I made out quite well with the standard combo and the special attack.

I was like that before... but when I tried out the attacks later on I was like WOW! Cuz they are really awesome.

Z8vrE7W.png WRhLqHy.png

#100 Maverik94

Maverik94

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 275 posts

Posted 30 January 2009 - 05:02 PM

WOW!!!!!! I loved the game! Definatley the best platformer on the gmc, I liked the storyline, and how it developed especially. You should really make this into a flash game! The only thing I didn't like was the LONG loading time, I wish you had had some external data files like the backgrounds sothat the game would load faster. I almost beat the game, I just cant beat "Red" im not sure how to block his super spin move where his swords fly everywhere. Anyway, Congrats on a GREAT game!

P.S. AWWWWW the Wiki page was deleted 8(

Edited by Maverik94, 30 January 2009 - 05:04 PM.