7 replies to this topic

#1 sbenders

sbenders

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 75 posts

Posted 25 December 2008 - 03:54 PM

Hey all,

I'm trying to make a Kirby rpg/platformer.

I found lots and lots of kirby sprite sheets, but I'm having trouble with the next step: animation.
The sprite sheets don't seem to have equal spacing, so a simple "create from strip" doesn't work very well.
Is there some special trick to this? Or if you already have done so, may I have the sprites in return for animation credit?

I'm trying to start off with basic kirby movement using these sheets:

http://i239.photobuc...katam_kirby.png
http://i239.photobuc...ksqsq_kirby.png

If anyone has any advice, or is willing to animate them (there's more, i assure you). I would be super grateful.

Thanks!
What's a signature?

#2 Batch

Batch

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 728 posts

Posted 25 December 2008 - 04:06 PM

Yeah, I'd help, but THATS A LOT of sprites that you have there.
However, I can teach you ;).
1. Basically, create a new sprite with the dimensions you want for Kirby. (usally 32x32 or 64x64, but its honestly your choice)
2. Then, make sure the sprite sheet is saved.
3. Open it up as either a sprite or background (both work).
4. Afterwards, you click [edit]
5. once you're in the image editor, click the second row, right button. It will look like a square with a dashed outline.
6. Look for the highest point of the image (like where the head ends) and the farthest pixel (left)
7. Click on the spot then drag it over, so that the sprite is INSIDE the dashed box.
8. Go to the top tool bar (same level as the check button) and go to the fourth one (the one with two white papers) click it.
9. click on the check button, and open up the sprite you made in step one.
10. Once in the image editor, press the clipboard (fifth button) MAKE SURE YOU ARE IN THE IMAGE EDITOR.
11. Click on the dashed box and move adjust the sprite to your needs.
12. exit, then go to edit, and choose 'add empty'
13. go from step one again, but at step 10, go to the EMPTY image.
14. Keep doing this until you are done.

Ok, well it sounds really complicated, but if you keep doing this for every sprite, it gets really easy.
Just remember, making games aren't easy. No pain no gain. :)

Hope I helped,
-CubinJ
~spriter / programer for free~
You may have known me in my past life as CubinJ...

#3 sbenders

sbenders

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 75 posts

Posted 25 December 2008 - 05:03 PM

oh man, you can DO that? that's awesome!

I thought you could only do a strip at a time. wow! this is so much more manageable now, i was about to make my own perfectly spaced sprite sheets.

thanks!

One last question: Tilesets

Where can I get 2d platformer tilesets? Not top down, not isometric, we're talking Kirby style tilesets.

thanks again!

sbenders
What's a signature?

#4 Batch

Batch

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 728 posts

Posted 25 December 2008 - 05:54 PM

I know right? I was amazed myself when i found out about it ;) .
I forgot to mention in the guide, on step 11, you can RIGHT click to loop the background (makes the backround transparent)
This guide comes in EXTREMELY helpful with animations.

I'm sorry, but I don't know where to get tilesets for kirby...umm google it for the time being, but I'll do some snooping round the GMC.

Edit: Ahah! Found it :) . Here ya go, don't forget to apply credits appropriately :) .
The Spriter's Resource

Hope I helped,
-CubinJ

Edited by CubinJ, 25 December 2008 - 06:15 PM.

#5 soul & heart

soul & heart

GMC Member

• 1128 posts

Posted 26 December 2008 - 12:38 AM

lol CubinJ that avatar is funny; I can only solve two sides of the cube I'll try throwing it.. ^_^

Anyways..I'm thinking of meta knight more then kirby but these sprites can come in use one day.
Hello,
Over the years I have become very interested in graphic designing and hopes one day I can make a successful career out of it. I have taken a few years of GMC, to work with a project and improve 3D designs. However, I am in need of a higher quality computer for better graphics. Being tight on money I have signed up to a very reliable website, Swagbucks. Ordering many tools and utilities already I have seen that this sight really works. If you could use my referral link here: http://www.swagbucks.../refer/Marcusnw, it will help much in me quickly gaining enough bucks to improve my graphics quality and so on.

Thank you.

#6 Batch

Batch

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 728 posts

Posted 26 December 2008 - 01:03 AM

Thanks! I can solve the whole thing ^_^
Maybe i'll improve the avatar's quality in the future.
who knows.

Happy Holidays!
-CubinJ

#7 sbenders

sbenders

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 75 posts

Posted 26 December 2008 - 02:04 AM

I know right? I was amazed myself when i found out about it ^_^ .
I forgot to mention in the guide, on step 11, you can RIGHT click to loop the background (makes the backround transparent)

I'm sorry, but I don't know where to get tilesets for kirby...umm google it for the time being, but I'll do some snooping round the GMC.

Edit: Ahah! Found it :) . Here ya go, don't forget to apply credits appropriately :P .
The Spriter's Resource

Hope I helped,
-CubinJ

Thanks for finding that site. I've gotten most of my stuff there.

But I'm actually looking for a Tile set, you know, with all the platforms types aligned on a grid so I can make my own level from it? Is there an easy way to rip that from the backgrounds?

-sbenders
What's a signature?

#8 Batch

Batch

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 728 posts

Posted 26 December 2008 - 02:13 AM

I know right? I was amazed myself when i found out about it ^_^ .

Edit: Ahah! Found it :) . Here ya go, don't forget to apply credits appropriately :P .
The Spriter's Resource

Hope I helped,
-CubinJ

Thanks for finding that site. I've gotten most of my stuff there.

But I'm actually looking for a Tile set, you know, with all the platforms types aligned on a grid so I can make my own level from it? Is there an easy way to rip that from the backgrounds?

-sbenders

I dunno. I think that's a pretty good website. If you don't like it, do some research on google.

Happy Holidays!
-CubinJ