• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#1 Dark Xion

Dark Xion

GMC Member

• 277 posts

Posted 14 December 2008 - 11:46 AM

POCKET NINJA

This game is a platformer using ragdoll physics where you control a ninja and fight various types of enemies.
Currently I only have the first level which is a tournament type level that gets progressively harder as you defeat more enemies, in game you are meant to lose (and most of you will to the last opponent, slightly better fighting style) and when you do you'll go through levels, but you can win, it is not impossible. Also keep in mind this game is a vital stepping stone in applying everything here to my 10-piece ragdoll model (like 42 pixels tall all together, as opposed to this muuuuuch simpler 6 piece model which is only like 10 pixels tall lol) Also I plan on attempting to recode this in 3D in C++ using havok cause the ralationship between the angle based on a body parts rotation on it's center of mass and it's rotation from it's joint is what makes the standing ragdolls possible, which means it can be reapplied to 3D if the physics engines work similarly (which they do)

CONTROLS

W = jump/double jump
S = fast fall
A = move left
D = move right

Space = use magic (it's unlimited only restricted by cooldown peroids)

Down Arrow = kick
Up Arrow = headbutt
Left Arrow = punch w/ back arm
Right Arrow = punch w/ front arm

Just use the mouse to select your color and element on the first screen

NOTE that I have replaced static animations used for attacks with a dynamic AI that computes the best attack based on the arrow key you pushed. So if you press kick the ninja will determine the best type of kick to do based on many variables such as his speed, position, direction, limb placement etc.

IMPORTANT, READ BEFORE PLAYING

This game is only sort of a fighting game, when going into combat you must think strategically and with certain principles of ninjutsu such as their in-and-out combat style, out manuever your oppnents, out smart them, single them out, the varying levels of difficulty and skill this game has potential for are endless so you will stand a much better chance until you get the hang of direct combat if you keep these things in mind.

WAAAAAYYY MORE IMPORTANT:
Dudes with swords dude... why would you even think of direct combat with a group of those, you're a ninja, not invincible, far from it, use ninjutsu, out manuever them, single them out of the group, try to get them before they even have a chance to strike, aerial kicks are great for suprise attacks

Screenies:
Posted Image

Wind Spell
More One-On-One Combat
Aerial Combat
Cave Oni
He knocked me flat
Nameless Flying Enemy
Yeah I didn't even come close to surviving this

THINGS TO COME
* The second to last update of the arena level with new enemies and a refined combat system
* As soon as my incredibly skilled graphics guys figure out this latest challenge, making 9 whole pixels (which is how many the head and feet have) look good, then we'll get new graphics
* Online functionality is one of the first things I plan on coding here cause this 6-piece model is incredibly simple to manipulate and work with and once I apply online function to it I can do it for any ragdoll model
* Sounds I guess, idk what kind of music belongs in here

PROGRESS
LEVELS: 5/20
ABILITIES: 9/26
ENEMIES: 12/20
ONLINE FUNCTIONALITY: 0% (lawl, I prob will end up waiting till the end for this as I'm just gonna use a p2p master/slave system rather than your standard client/server deal, I know how to safeguard it for hiccups so don't worry)

DOWNLOAD
Download Pocket Ninja

Anyways try it out, report bugs, give feedback etc

Also credit coderchris for gmphysics

Edited by Dark Xion, 10 January 2009 - 12:39 PM.

#2 blobstah

blobstah

GMC Member

• 181 posts

Posted 14 December 2008 - 12:11 PM

Nice idea, but not very well exceuted, here's my review:
Gameplay- 6.5/10, the game was pretty fun, but the physics and collisions were a little buggy, also add the option of having arrow keys as your movement keys and WASD as your attacking keys.
Sound- NA/10, I dint reallly hear any sound, but my headphones are sometimes buggy so...
Graphics- 5.5/10, the color selection thing in the main menu looked horrible, and the main menu's interface was a little bit confusing at first, your battle graphics were a little bit too simple, but still nice.

#3 Dark Xion

Dark Xion

GMC Member

• 277 posts

Posted 14 December 2008 - 09:30 PM

Nice idea, but not very well exceuted, here's my review:
Gameplay- 6.5/10, the game was pretty fun, but the physics and collisions were a little buggy, also add the option of having arrow keys as your movement keys and WASD as your attacking keys.
Sound- NA/10, I dint reallly hear any sound, but my headphones are sometimes buggy so...
Graphics- 5.5/10, the color selection thing in the main menu looked horrible, and the main menu's interface was a little bit confusing at first, your battle graphics were a little bit too simple, but still nice.

Heh yeah I've never boasted myself to be a graphics person, and when you've only got like 9 pixels to work with, that means you get one pixel if you enjoy outlines lol, but I've got someone on that. No there weren't any sounds yet, idk what kind to put to be honest, I had planned on adding that WASD Arrow swap once I add like options etc and what exactly about the collisions were buggy, cause it's gmphysics' collisions lol

#4 garrlker

garrlker

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 349 posts

Posted 14 December 2008 - 10:10 PM

Ok I can't wait to se this. Il edit when i dl.
EDIT:I loved it!!!!! :medieval:
Graphics7.5/10 There good
Gameplay7/10 it was good
Sound null/10 no sounds but it was still fun
If you want to have fun select the boulder. Funniest crap ever

Edited by garrlker, 14 December 2008 - 10:39 PM.

#5 Dark Xion

Dark Xion

GMC Member

• 277 posts

Posted 16 December 2008 - 07:08 AM

Oh wait I know what you mean, I purposefully have a like a very brief delay when you kill an enemy, should I take that out?

Edited by Dark Xion, 16 December 2008 - 07:08 AM.

#6 monaug5

monaug5

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 241 posts

Posted 16 December 2008 - 10:08 PM

Oh wait I know what you mean, I purposefully have a like a very brief delay when you kill an enemy, should I take that out?

take it out.

#7 MadProductions119

MadProductions119

GMC Member

• 1212 posts

Posted 16 December 2008 - 10:14 PM

I havent tried it yet (ill try later) but from the screnshots it looks like the graphics need work... if you would want any help Id be glad to lend a hand!

P.S. I am a huge fan of your game/screensaver ninja fight scrensaver.. me and my friend watched it for a cuople hours lol!

Edited by MadProductions119, 16 December 2008 - 10:15 PM.

#8 Dark Xion

Dark Xion

GMC Member

• 277 posts

Posted 18 December 2008 - 12:34 AM

MINOR UPDATE

Took out the delay when you kill things, also turned out there was a small bug in the collisions (when you killed them, ran out of memory causing a further delay) it just wasn't very noticeable because of the on-purpose delay ironically, but it's fixed now too.

#9 dagen da dragon

dagen da dragon

GMC Member

• 35 posts

Posted 26 December 2008 - 05:12 PM

Fun game so far.

Game play - 7/10 It was fun though you should change ether the water power or air since there the same except for the sprites.
Also you could make it so you start out with one power then as you beat levels or bosses or whatever you got more powerful ones.

Graphics 8/10 For what your working with there pretty good.
Sound void/10
Bugs: Using the earth power I have made enemy's get stuck in the invisible wall (they go flying into it and get stuck half in the barrier half out) you can still kill them but only with the earth power.

#10 Glen

Glen

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 841 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 27 December 2008 - 03:43 AM

Most addicting fighting game on the gmc.

I made a video of me playing: http://www.youtube.c...h?v=LDEapLj7qNY

I felt that the kicking attack was more of a "cheap shot" if you know what I mean you'll see on the video how I effectively used it over and over on the swordsman and fought them in the air at almost all times.

#11 Dark Xion

Dark Xion

GMC Member

• 277 posts

Posted 08 January 2009 - 11:46 AM

I felt that the kicking attack was more of a "cheap shot" if you know what I mean you'll see on the video how I effectively used it over and over on the swordsman and fought them in the air at almost all times.

Well actually that's exactly how you're supposed to do it with dudes with swords, just towards the end of the vid you take a more direct combat approach to the sword group, other than that though you're pretty good at the game, didn't even use your magic the entire thing.

As for updates, things changed a bit in the planning of the game so I am going to make like 5 more enemies and do the final tweaks to the combat engine and upload an update in the near future (the enemies are already done) but after that I can't upload an update until the game is done for complex reasons you guys will probably figure out collectively in due time. Fortunately, the game as I have it planned is short and more centered around online PvP, and that, coupled with a large number of programmers that try to stop me from being lazy and will do my bidding code-wise as a result, means it will get finished relatively quickly (they would have finished the screensaver fast for me but no one knows how to edit that code but me). The levels outside of the tournament level will consist entirely of the personal and unique advancement of your ninja and it's abilities which you will be able to take online in combat.

Another large part of the game consists of it's larger number of incredibly useful secrets that you will stumble upon and will greatly alter the path your ninja's advancement takes, which is mostly why I can't release any level but the tournament one until it's all done (it's like 25% done now, just a few levels left to go, mostly spells remain, and online fnctionality).

#12 Dark Xion

Dark Xion

GMC Member

• 277 posts

Posted 11 January 2009 - 09:32 AM

UPDATE
Added two new groups of enemies (was planning on adding another 2 or so but the main enemy in those groups ended up being overpowered so I'm saving him for a boss or something), fixed the black ninja, nerfed the dudes with swords a little, and fine tuned the combat system.

There's still alot going on for the planning of the format of the quest type mission things, debating between two styles, based on which one I choose there may be a bigger update sooner. For now I'm gonna keep finishing the enemies and abilities.

EDIT: Oh yeah, I mean to address the comment about changing water or wind, although they seem the same there are considerable differences between the two, wind doesn't push enemies with as much force as the water does but it does push them further, also the properties of the two particles are different (their mass, speed, and the way gravity effects them). Also though, the spells each have 3 levels (only coded them up to second level so far though) and they get more differences there. But mainly it comes down to Water and wind are meant more defensively (don't worry they get offense spells on their second and third levels) and fire and earth are meant more offensively (the offensive spells they get at level two and three are better, but work differently, you'll see what I mean). I plan on keeping all the abilities and whatnot extremely balanced as I am a big fan of MLG fighting games (especially SSBM, if you couldn't tell by the movement engine in here) so everything will be balanced and fair when online play rolls around.

Which reminds me, I am probably the laziest person any of you would ever meet, so if anyone wants to assist me in the coding of the online functionality that would be awesome, you wouldn't even have to do too much work, I have all the pseudo-code for it done (I include the actual functions you need to use in my pseudo-code, unlike some nubs who use flowcharts after their pseudo-code :lol: ), you don't really have to understand GMPhysics at all either, all that is required is skill in GM's online functions.

Edited by Dark Xion, 11 January 2009 - 11:32 AM.

#13 Schyler

Schyler

Noskcirderf Derf

• GMC Member
  • 2678 posts

Posted 11 January 2009 - 10:01 AM

Coolest thing all day.

#14 Glen

Glen

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 841 posts

Posted 11 January 2009 - 09:21 PM

Well actually that's exactly how you're supposed to do it with dudes with swords, just towards the end of the vid you take a more direct combat approach to the sword group, other than that though you're pretty good at the game, didn't even use your magic the entire thing.

As for updates, things changed a bit in the planning of the game so I am going to make like 5 more enemies and do the final tweaks to the combat engine and upload an update in the near future (the enemies are already done) but after that I can't upload an update until the game is done for complex reasons you guys will probably figure out collectively in due time. Fortunately, the game as I have it planned is short and more centered around online PvP, and that, coupled with a large number of programmers that try to stop me from being lazy and will do my bidding code-wise as a result, means it will get finished relatively quickly (they would have finished the screensaver fast for me but no one knows how to edit that code but me). The levels outside of the tournament level will consist entirely of the personal and unique advancement of your ninja and it's abilities which you will be able to take online in combat.

Another large part of the game consists of it's larger number of incredibly useful secrets that you will stumble upon and will greatly alter the path your ninja's advancement takes, which is mostly why I can't release any level but the tournament one until it's all done (it's like 25% done now, just a few levels left to go, mostly spells remain, and online fnctionality).

When I used the magic, I never died, lol.... Its too easy when you're able to use it as a shield and allow yourself to regain your health.

#15 Batux1995

Batux1995

GMC Member

• 5 posts

Posted 28 April 2009 - 06:44 PM

Aand...not compatible with vista...dammit...
Can anyone make it compatible?

#16 fulltimekiller

fulltimekiller

GMC Member

• 14 posts

Posted 07 May 2009 - 11:57 PM

i beat the black ninja (belive it or not) i came straight at him he didn't know what to do then he was dead then i could travel around outside the barriers. i like where this is going its awesome!

#17 fulltimekiller

fulltimekiller

GMC Member

• 14 posts

Posted 06 June 2009 - 06:33 AM

======BUMP======

#18 Fury

Fury

GMC Member

• 415 posts

Posted 06 June 2009 - 06:36 AM

Ragdoll 3D, fine.

Ragdoll 2D that is only now playable?

I dunno

#19 mekon

mekon

GMC Member

• 94 posts

Posted 06 June 2009 - 03:05 PM

wow so awesome

i died at the flying thing with claws

#20 N-techstudios

N-techstudios

GMC Member

• 293 posts

Posted 06 June 2009 - 08:07 PM

wow so awesome

i died at the flying thing with claws

Those things are tough. but try two of them. :) Even tougher. The trick is to get them close to the ground and these Kamikazi attack from above! them. yah... anywho, thsoe giants are fun to fight, cuz they trap you against the edge with their big fat bellies and you have to use your magic to escape. (rock power ftw.) Another cool thing is trapping the blue ninjas in the air with the wind power, and then letting them fall down, and then you can punch them to death. I Love this game. the swordsmen were easy, but once they attacked you're pretty much dead. Those blue ninjas are a pain in the butt to kill though, the heal so fast it's anoying. but even so this game rocks. can't wait till you finish it. one thing though, I had to play some music in the backround to enjoy it more.

hehe. if i don't release the finished demo of MY game today, it's all your fault. ;)

#21 mekon

mekon

GMC Member

• 94 posts

Posted 06 June 2009 - 08:34 PM

oh my god i never knew you got magic powers xD

#22 N-techstudios

N-techstudios

GMC Member

• 293 posts

Posted 06 June 2009 - 08:58 PM

oh my god i never knew you got magic powers xD

yah press space to use them. if you didn't already know.

Edit: I made a piece of music for myself to listen to while i played, and i found it made it more enjoyable. So if you wanted to, you could use this in the game, just give credit. since you don't have any other music for it.

http://willhostforfo...hp?fileid=69177

Edited by N-techstudios, 06 June 2009 - 10:20 PM.

#23 azure_lord

azure_lord

GMC Member

• 44 posts

Posted 07 June 2009 - 03:59 AM

The only problem I have with this is the attacks.
The boss monsters are alright, but you can't even see your guys/the other guys attack when they do!
And the only effective attack is the kick, none of the other ones seem to hit the enemies.

#24 N-techstudios

N-techstudios

GMC Member

• 293 posts

Posted 07 June 2009 - 04:04 AM

The only problem I have with this is the attacks.
The boss monsters are alright, but you can't even see your guys/the other guys attack when they do!
And the only effective attack is the kick, none of the other ones seem to hit the enemies.

really? I think spamming the punch keys takes enemies out the fastest. I can't even get the kicks to work properly, except in the air.

#25 PSC159

PSC159

GMC Member

• 1207 posts

Posted 07 June 2009 - 04:55 AM

That was pretty FUN! I got all the way to a boss. Then I died.

#26 N-techstudios

N-techstudios

GMC Member

• 293 posts

Posted 08 June 2009 - 05:32 PM

That was pretty FUN! I got all the way to a boss. Then I died.

Which boss? The black Ninja is impossible if you ask me, and the flying things are really hard, once you start attacking them they die fast, but if you get trapped in their claws forget it your dead. What really stinks is where they send two of them at once, and the both flying at you at the same time, and you get trapped in both their claws, and... your dead, can't even fight back. waa!!! lol, but anywho, This game is still a good stress releiver. I wan't to try out the ninja screensaver, but the link was broken and the admins closed the topic.

#27 fulltimekiller

fulltimekiller

GMC Member

• 14 posts

Posted 10 June 2009 - 03:08 PM

you should make a samurai class i could see how it can be done too

#28 Batux1995

Batux1995

GMC Member

• 5 posts

Posted 23 June 2009 - 02:02 PM

Which boss? The black Ninja is impossible if you ask me, and the flying things are really hard, once you start attacking them they die fast, but if you get trapped in their claws forget it your dead. What really stinks is where they send two of them at once, and the both flying at you at the same time, and you get trapped in both their claws, and... your dead, can't even fight back. waa!!! lol, but anywho, This game is still a good stress releiver. I wan't to try out the ninja screensaver, but the link was broken and the admins closed the topic.

Whaat?Flying little crap things are easy as pie:DBut the part where the swordmen ambush you,is very hard,and if you ask me,earth is the strongest element..AAAAANNNNNDDDD black ninja is hard as HELL,I only got to him once,and he finished me in one second,literally..

#29 Kajio

Kajio

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 2537 posts

Posted 23 June 2009 - 05:11 PM

Host seems to be down. Try getting a mirror up.

#30 Ryath

Ryath

GMC Member

• 69 posts

Posted 23 June 2009 - 08:28 PM

I'm not sure what happened with you. I just downloaded it ten seconds ago. I'm guessing it came back up.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users