GMC Member

• 86 posts

Posted 07 December 2008 - 09:38 PM

Posted Image

;) Game Information:
Title: Mayhem Tank
Genre/Category: Top-Down Shooter
GM Version: :D GM 7.0
Changes Screen Resolution?: No. Game starts in fullscreen (default)

:blink: Download:
NEW! All Latest links (updated 6th Aug '09):
Download File Name/Size: Mayhem Tank v1.7, 7.89MB (.exe) / 6.83MB (.zip)
Download Link 1: Hosted at Mediafire (.exe, 7.89MB)
Download Link 2: Hosted at Host-A Hosting (.zip, 6.83MB)
YoYo Games Link: YoYo Games

:P Screenshots:
Fight 20 battles of increasing difficulty against the AI
Posted Image

Or see how long you can stay alive as you fight hordes of enemies!
Posted Image

More Screenshots:
Title Screen | Choosing an Opponent | Equipping Weapons | Plasma Shield | New Pause Screen | Survival Mode - Lots of Missiles | CHAOTIC Survival mode!
Mayhem Tank Photobucket album
OLD ver1.5 Mayhem Tank Photobucket album

Features:
  • About 94% complete. Over a year in the making.
  • Lots of purchasable weapons (spread missiles, lasers, auto turrets, air strike, flamethrower, grenade launchers, etc.)
  • Upgradable main tank guns, machine gun, armor, etc.
  • Equip extra extensions to make your tank more powerful (mines, defense pods, missile interceptors, speed boosters etc.)
  • 2 Game modes: Tank Battle & Survival
  • 20 one-on-one battles in Tank Battle mode
  • Intense Survival mode!
  • Cheat codes ;) (PM me for codes)
Description:
You control an upgradable tank equippable with loads of different weapons. Unleash mayhem on your enemies. Have no mercy!
There are 2 game modes available: Tank Battle Mode and Survival Mode.

Controls:
See game help at the menu screen. But it's a normal WASD + mouse control system.

Please Download, Play, and Leave Comments!
  • How's the gameplay?
  • How's the difficulty in Tank Battle mode? Is it too hard/easy?
  • How are the weapons/extensions? Too expensive? Too cheap? Too powerful? Just right?
  • What aspects of the game do I need to work on?
  • Any bugs?
Thanks for all your comments. I've mentioned some of you in the credits!

Still to work on:
  • BG music. (i might have to look around in the music/sound forum)
  • A new game mode
  • More player feedback from YOU :)
Updates in v1.7:
-see my latest post http://gmc.yoyogames...&...t&p=3251737

Updates in v1.5:
Old Ver1.5 Download Link: Hosted at Will Host For Food! (.zip, 6.07MB)
-A lot of minor graphical tweaks to sprites (radar, jeeps, tanks, infantry)
-A lot more particle effects.
-Explosion sprites changed to particle effects
-Missile smoke trails look better now
-Blood and explosion stains added
-Tank can now move in eight directions instead of four
-Added an ammo refill pickup for survival mode
-Tank now blinks if hit by enemy
-Enemies blink/spew blood/debris if hit
-Heat Seeker III now kicks major ass (tries to avoid obstacles to reach target)
-E.L.C. weapon got a better laser effect
-Enemies/missiles turn smoothly now
-Tank turret recoil added
-Enemy health reduced for the first 3 Tank Battle Levels
-Fixed a few bugs

Edited by hithere, 05 August 2009 - 06:56 PM.

UPDATED! (Aug 6th '09) Battle now! Download Here (.exe, 7.89MB) or go to the YoYo Games page.

#2 Clark Games

Clark Games

GMC Member

• 39 posts

Posted 07 December 2008 - 10:20 PM

Wow great game physics, graphics, an gameplay. The graphics could be milked some more. But their nice. 9/10.

#3 mentos

mentos

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 356 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 07 December 2008 - 10:52 PM

Man Great Job On This Game!

I absolutely love it just finished playing it for the last 2 hours.

Good graphics they have a retro sorta modern look to them some of the character sprites could be made smoother though.

Great variety of weapons and upgrades kept me looking forward to trying new ones.

But some of the levels were hard but its more what kind of weapons you decide to use.

Suggestions:

-Maybe a shop for different body's for your tank?
-More weapons can always be needed in a game like this
-Some more upgrades, felt a little shallow in the upgrades panel

Online would be so perfect for this if you can find some help for online that would be amazing

Keep up the great work. Looking forward to seeing some more on this game.

#4 hithere

hithere

GMC Member

• 86 posts

Posted 08 December 2008 - 07:17 AM

Thanks guys! :)
Glad you liked it!

Yes, I guess some of the sprites like the enemy jeeps could be improved.
Different bodies for the tank? Well, the body upgrade does come with a new body sprite (along with the increase in speed and armor). I guess I could split up the body upgrade into three parts to have more upgrades in the upgrade panel (speed, turning speed, armor).
More weapons? Hmmm.. i have a slot for one more weapon in each weapon panel. Maybe I'll add them if I can think of more weapon ideas.. =D

Maybe someday I'll try to add an online feature... but not now.. :D

Which levels are you guys at? :D

UPDATED! (Aug 6th '09) Battle now! Download Here (.exe, 7.89MB) or go to the YoYo Games page.

#5 banov

banov

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1172 posts
  • Version:Unknown

Posted 08 December 2008 - 10:16 PM

Really well done! I'm not normally a fan of these types of games, but I can see from playing this how much work went into it. I played one round of survival and one of tank battle. The game has a consistent graphical look and feel to it, and there are tons of small details barely noticeable that really add to the game's polish. This does indeed feel like a finished, and even by non-WIP standards well designed and good-looking game.

To answer your questions, I found the purchasable weapons to be well balanced and fairly priced, from those I tested out at least (flamethrower, as well as numerous weapons tried during my Survival run). I think that, as a game with this much graphical polish, you should definitely include music for a complete experience. If you advertise yourself as an already finished game that just needs music, I'm sure you'll get somebody to make you some tracks quickly.

But there are still some things that could be done to make it better. I found Tank Battle to be a bit sluggish because of the massive amounts of HP each tank has; if each tank had, say, half the HP they start with now it wouldn't feel so slow-paced. I have a couple pet peeves with using Game Maker's built in help file and message system-- especially since most of the stuff in the help file is well explained later in the game. One simple game screen to explain basic controls would suffice. As for game messages, you would be able to hide that you're using the built-in message system if you change a few more variables, such as message position on the screen; having it take up the entire bottom of the screen might make it look less standard and default. Finally, I think more should be done with effects; change that explosion sprite into a particle effect, and have enemies flash and shoot out some parts or something when hit, so that landing hits is more visceral and satisfying. Right now it's hard to tell if you're even connecting to the opponent or not.

Overall, though not my cup of tea, I recognize this game's far above the average GM game. I wish you the best of luck in finishing it.

#6 hithere

hithere

GMC Member

• 86 posts

Posted 10 December 2008 - 07:21 AM

Thanks for the comments and suggestions! Your suggestions are really helpful. I guess with the next update I could already put this up as a finished game.

Yeah, it does feel bit sluggish at the beginning since you're armed only with a basic machine gun and a main gun at the start. But later on, the enemy HP won't seem like a lot since you can buy some powerful weapons that can finish off the enemy quickly. But I guess I could lower the HP of the 1st enemy tank. I will definitely change the help file and as for the built-on message system, I'll try to modify it too if I can.

Ahh... that's a good idea for the enemy hit animation. I knew something was missing in the game. That feel-good factor for hitting the enemy. Right now if you hit a tank, jeep or a helicopter, you just hear a sound play. I guess seeing parts fly off would be a better idea.

Keep the comments and suggestions coming! :lol:

EDIT: I've added CHEAT CODES to the first post. Now you can test all levels and weapons!

Edited by hithere, 10 December 2008 - 07:49 AM.

#7 ydawg314

ydawg314

GMC Member

• 901 posts

Posted 10 December 2008 - 09:37 PM

wow this game looks kinda sick I'm gonna try and then Ill post a critique.

edit
Ok I just played and I liked it... :P

pros:
-da menu is BOSS!
-I love the number of weapons
-addictive

suggestions:
-make controls go every direction instead of left right up down (this makes your game kind of slow and a little boring.)
-make all characters turn smoothly (glitchy movements hurt the eyes and make your graphics look al around worse)
-improve ai (make them also go every direction)
-make tire marks and tank treads (you don't have to but it would definitely improve your graphics)

Edited by ydawg314, 10 December 2008 - 10:22 PM.

Check out my newest game Redesigned from scratch!
Posted Image
Download Mobile Suit Grunt Wars.zip W.I.P 7-26
TEST YOUR MECH PILOTING SKILLS!!!
Spoiler

#8 Explicit

Explicit

Destroyer of zeds

• GMC Member
  • 1647 posts

Posted 14 December 2008 - 10:14 PM

really nice engine you got going here, smart AI, nicely organized shop and menus, only thing you really need help on is the graphics

i could help with that

#9 hithere

hithere

GMC Member

• 86 posts

Posted 05 January 2009 - 10:09 AM

Game Updated!
See first post! ^_^

Sorry I took so long to reply. I was busy working on the game and also other non-gaming stuff.
I've taken all your suggestions seriously and have edited the game accordingly. Let me quote your suggestions again.

Good graphics they have a retro sorta modern look to them some of the character sprites could be made smoother though.

I've tried to make the sprites look smoother with a lot of minor graphical tweaks.

But there are still some things that could be done to make it better. I found Tank Battle to be a bit sluggish because of the massive amounts of HP each tank has; if each tank had, say, half the HP they start with now it wouldn't feel so slow-paced. I have a couple pet peeves with using Game Maker's built in help file and message system-- especially since most of the stuff in the help file is well explained later in the game. One simple game screen to explain basic controls would suffice. As for game messages, you would be able to hide that you're using the built-in message system if you change a few more variables, such as message position on the screen; having it take up the entire bottom of the screen might make it look less standard and default. Finally, I think more should be done with effects; change that explosion sprite into a particle effect, and have enemies flash and shoot out some parts or something when hit, so that landing hits is more visceral and satisfying. Right now it's hard to tell if you're even connecting to the opponent or not.

I've reduced the AI HP for the first 3 levels in order to get to the other more challenging, fast-faced levels later on. I'm still using the GM help file but I've edited it to make it to remove unnecessary info and display the controls clearly. The message system is still the same as before although I might change it later.
As for the effects, I've done exactly what you've suggested. :D Explosions sprites are changed into particle effects, enemies spew blood/parts and blink when hit (so does your own tank).

suggestions:
-make controls go every direction instead of left right up down (this makes your game kind of slow and a little boring.)
-make all characters turn smoothly (glitchy movements hurt the eyes and make your graphics look al around worse)
-improve ai (make them also go every direction)
-make tire marks and tank treads (you don't have to but it would definitely improve your graphics)

-Controls changed. Now your tank can go in all directions (actually, 8 directions)
-Characters turn smoothly now!! So do missiles (instead of changing directions at ugly angles). But the soldiers still turn abruptly since I thought they were small and not that noticeable. But there are still a few kinks to iron out with the jeep/tank smooth turning because they sometimes keep on spinning forever if a collision occurs.
-All AIs are different. Some easy ones in the early levels of Tank Battle mode move in limited directions while others move around in all direction or even teleport. However, i've edited them to make most of them move in every direction.
-I'll add the tread marks later. I was going to add this for this update actually but I forgot.

really nice engine you got going here, smart AI, nicely organized shop and menus, only thing you really need help on is the graphics

i could help with that

Thanks. I've updated the graphics as I've mentioned so hopefully the game looks better than before. :P

I guess the only big thing missing now is the bg music. If u know any good BG music that'll go well with this game please do tell me.

#10 ydawg314

ydawg314

GMC Member

• 901 posts

Posted 06 January 2009 - 08:43 PM

Nice as soon as I get to a comp I will test this.
Posted Image
Spoiler

#11 ydawg314

ydawg314

GMC Member

• 901 posts

Posted 17 January 2009 - 07:46 PM

ok I can finally test this... :)
EDIT:
Overall you changed a lot of things which made the game a lot better but the game is still missing somthing to make it fun. I think that maybe you have to test and play your game until you find out what is really fun but other than that it is put together really well.

pros:
  • smoother gameplay
  • improved graphics
  • appears really professional
[*]No more jerky looking sprites really make this game look a lot better :)

suggestions/cons:
  • while your game has a lot of content your pretty much doing the same thing through every level
  • needs online play
  • allow for diagonal movement
  • experiment with engine to make physics more realistic (acceleration instead of instant motion)
  • I didnt get far into the game but add nitrous or somthing
  • the game is still missing something to make it fun.... try assigning the machine gun to the left mouse button and make it so missile can be shot down also make missiles have spash damage so that if you shot a missile down in front of the enemy they would be damaged
  • Does the game have start in fullscreen because it decreases the graphics a bit
  • try making your hud look more like a tank dashboard
  • make somekind of effect to show when you have been shot (shake screen?)

Anyway the game isi good right now but you need to really refine it and make something really fun out of it. I hope you figure it out...

Good Luck
if you need some testing pm me :P

Edited by ydawg314, 17 January 2009 - 08:10 PM.

Posted Image
Spoiler

#12 hithere

hithere

GMC Member

• 86 posts

Posted 18 January 2009 - 07:25 AM

Thanks for playing the game and for your comments.. :)

I know what you mean by the missing fun factor. I'm not quite sure what it is either. I think one thing is the missing bg music because a fast-paced music while battling the enemy can really liven up the gameplay. Another thing is that some people might find the tank speed still a bit slow. The thing is for me I make sure to prioritize buying the body upgrades first to increase the speed make the gameplay. But i guess not everyone does that so I'm planning to put a separate speed upgrade so that players and increase their tank speed without having to invest a lot of money to buy the body upgrade.
Another thing that i plan to do is new game modes.. I'm not sure yet what kind of game modes I'll add but I think with more game modes (especially shorter, more action-packed ones), it'll be more fun. What do u think of the Survival mode? is it more fun?

As for your suggestions:
  • Like I said I'll probably add more game modes so that Tank Battle is just one of them.
  • Online? I've never made an online game and plus I don't think I can add an online feature without starting from scratch again. But I wish this game had online play though!
  • You can move diagonally. It's one of the changes i made.
  • I did try to put acceleration/deceleration but it made the game even slower and plus I encountered a lot of collision bugs so I just abandoned it.
  • You can buy a Booster extension equipment :lol:
  • You know what? That's a good idea.. I might make it possible to shoot down missiles... maybe.. just maybe. I dunno if that might make it too easy to avoid enemy fire tho. And did u mean I should assign the right mouse button for the machine gun? Hmm... That's not a bad idea either.
  • Personally I prefer the game in fullscreen because otherwise sometimes u can accidentally click outside the game window and it's annoying... or maybe it's just me. I guess I could make it start in windowed mode.
  • I think that making the HUD look like a tank dashboard would make the viewable area smaller which is a bad thing... dunno
  • When you're shot, the tank blinks dark red and gives out a metal clanking sound. I might add screen shake for big explosions tho...

hmmm... after testing the game again, i found some minor bugs.. but nothing big.
I'll probably take quite a while for the next update tho since my holidays are over... darn it.

Thanks again for your feedback. I appreciate it.

#13 SAS Falcon

SAS Falcon

GMC Member

• 265 posts

Posted 14 February 2009 - 06:18 AM

I'm liking this game a lot so far. There are a few flaws but i have been playing it for a while and i still am.

This isn't a dead project is it, just thinking no replies for a while

A Few tips:
  • Try and improve the locking mechanism a bit. I found it really annoying when you move slightly away and have to start the lock-on process again
  • Maybe have a bit of a limit on units in survival, it got really jerky on my computer
Thats all i can think of.

In relation to music i had an idea for a song you could use (if either of us can find it).
If you have played future cop (on PS1 so it's quite old) you could try and find the 1st level music, that's what i was playing in my head when i was in survival.

If all else fails, you could possibly have custom music (aka. let the player take their own music and import it into the game.)

#14 hithere

hithere

GMC Member

• 86 posts

Posted 14 February 2009 - 10:27 AM

Thanks.
No this isn't a dead project. It's just "on hold" at the moment.. <_<

the locking mechanism is meant to be a bit hard so that it's not as easy as just shooting a missile and the missile following a target automatically. To make it easier, i recommend u buy at least one Auto Lock upgrade (if you're playing Tank Battle mode) and perhaps also use a lock speed extension if u want.
Yeah, i should add a better unit limit for Survival i guess.
By the way, did u find the "hidden" Air Strike weapon in survival mode when u start the room? I don't think anyone found it so far... When Survival mode starts, just start moving to the right of the screen and the weapon pickup should be there.. i dunno, i think it's a very useful weapon in Survival mode so i just thought i mention it.

I haven't played Future cop but i'll look into it, thanks.

Edited by hithere, 14 February 2009 - 10:28 AM.

#15 SAS Falcon

SAS Falcon

GMC Member

• 265 posts

Posted 14 February 2009 - 10:32 AM

Well, the full name was Future COP: LAPD. The best part about it is the tutorial video for skirmish (look up sky captain on youtube and you might find it there)

#16 hithere

hithere

GMC Member

• 86 posts

Posted 03 August 2009 - 09:39 PM

After a looooong break, this game has finally been updated. :)

I've read your comments and edited my game accordingly. Here are the major updates in a picture form to make it look more interesting :P:
Posted Image

A lot of the updates are graphical updates to make the game look a bit more "professional." I'm especially happy with the new message box system.
I've also added a spanking new feature in both the currently available game modes. It's a sorta special award/power-up system, not sure what to call it. In Survival Mode you can, for example, run over 20 soldiers to get a super machine gun or destroy 10 land vehicles to get a bunch of powerful missiles that shoot down enemies and so on. Hopefully that makes the game a bit more interesting.

Still no music tho. =/ So for now when you're playing, just crank up some loud heavy metal while you're shooting the baddies.. :P

Please try it and let me know of any bugs.
Also, is the game hard/easy? I fear that the game might now be too easy with the special award/power-up system in place.

Have fun!

#17 Hafnium

Hafnium

GMC Member

• 50 posts

Posted 04 August 2009 - 01:55 AM

I really don't like the fact that you lower the prize amount for old battles. I find that I can't just go to the next battle after a win. I need to play that same battle over and over untill I can unlock more armor or better weapons. It kinda turns into grinding. Less grind = happier players. You can afford to lose a little grind too, based on the number of battles.

#18 funlerz

funlerz

GMC Member

• 113 posts

Posted 04 August 2009 - 07:32 PM

very good game, I dont know if you will be able to do this but it would be so cool to have an online mode!!! That way you could battle other players to see whos the best Mayhem Tank player!

#19 turtlefan

turtlefan

Hockey Goalie

• 264 posts

Posted 05 August 2009 - 12:29 AM

WOW, this is a great game!!!!! I actually enjoyed playing it. The graphics are awesome and the gameplay is unbelieveably good. The AI in this game is very impressive too. I liked how you created two modes to choose from. As far as the game being too easy or too hard, I think it was perfect. I only played couple of rounds in the story mode, but in survival mode I liked how it starts off easy and then becomes a real challenge after a few minutes of playing. The seperate weapons slots was also a cool idea and came in handy in different situations in a round. BTW, my hishscore was only like $4200 in survival mode.

I think this would also make a good multiplayer game. Playing against a friend or in a co-op mode would be really cool. it might be hard to incoperate into this, but it would be cool if you could (Did I mention it would be cool!?). As much as I am not a fan of people making games online, I think this would do well as an online game if you were to create a multiplayer mode. It would be fun to play against someone online in a battle like setting.

Oh, what was up with the e-mail inbox at the start of a new round? Is that going to be a feature later on in the game or was that just your way of explaining the level objectives?

Overall a great game, a 10/10 for a WIP. "Professional" is definately the way I would describe this.

Edited by turtlefan, 05 August 2009 - 12:31 AM.

Game Maker 5.3 User...

Dereks Challenge 2: My Work In Progress... Last Updated August 2 2009, Check it out at the links below!

YOYO Games Link: Click Here
GMC Thread Link: Click Here

Need to create your own custom text in your game? Check out my Custom Text Engine here, Custom Text Engine

#20 Pro Pro.

Pro Pro.

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 739 posts

Posted 05 August 2009 - 04:09 AM

This is a very good game. THe menues are proffesional and there are alot of weaponsand upgrades to make your own custom tank so that you can play with your own style. I did notice some bugs with the game though. For one, sometimes when starting a new battle, the controllsare messed up and movement and weapons do not respond and i must restart the game to play agian. Also, sometimes the terrain becomes "currupted" and it looks like colorful static. When it does this i cant even tell were obstacles are and it becomes unplayable. WHen these are fixed, this will be a very awsome game, on eof the best in the current GMC in my opinion. YOur game plays somewhat similar to the one in my sig, so im gunna have to keeps your game in mind as i make inprovements to mine. Good luck and keeps up the good work.

EDIT: You may also want to play a very similar game called "Panzer Tournament" in the beta section of yoyogames (it includes online play, you may want to talk to the auther of the game if you need help with online multiplayer).

EDIT2: Include a "damage per second" stat with the weapons.

Edited by Pro Pro., 05 August 2009 - 04:16 AM.

#21 hithere

hithere

GMC Member

• 86 posts

Posted 05 August 2009 - 10:04 AM

@Hafnium I've tried various reward system but the current one seems to be one that's most "fair." If i give out too much money at the beginning, the later levels becomes too easy with all the equipment u can afford. But I dunno, maybe I should revise the reward system.. Thanks for your feedback.

@funlerz yeah, this game would be much better if there was a multiplayer mode but unfortunately, I've never touched an online/multiplayer function in GM! Maybe I'll come back to this in a couple of months/years and make Mayhem Tank 2 (if there is one) multiplayer.. lol

@turtlefan thanks for your lengthy comment. I will be making at least one more game mode (that's why this is in the WIP section now) so watch out for that too! And thanks for telling me what u achieved in Survival mode because I didn't know how to set the congratulatory/insult messages at the end. I always get over 20000 so i set the end congratulatory message according to what i can get. But now that i know how other people play, I guess I'll have to make the game criticize the players less..
See my comment @funlerz about the multiplayer. I might actually do it since a lot of ppl seem to be suggesting this feature.
This game was inspired by the Armored Core series (on PS2) and in that game the opponent sends a taunting email message right before a battle. So the idea just sorta stuck with me. So the email is just sorta a way to give the opponents more personality I guess.. so that they aren't just random lifeless objects trying to kill u in the game.

@Pro Pro. Thanks for your comment. I'm not sure why the controllers messed up but can u reproduce the terrain glitch and send me a screenshot of it? One other person told me the same thing about the surfaces getting messed up but i couldn't replicate it. And it's frustrating me since I can't even see the glitch for myself!
And thanks for your wonderful praises! I'll make sure to check out the game.
What would the "damage per second" stat show? There is a Firepower stat that shows the damage per hit..?

#22 turtlefan

turtlefan

Hockey Goalie

• 264 posts

Posted 05 August 2009 - 05:52 PM

How do you get 20000 in survival mode!!!!! I tried so hard and only got 4200! I guess when you made the game and know how it is programmed it helps a bit. I actually didn't mind getting an insulting message after scoring so low, I thought they were all going to be insulting no matter what you got, kind of like how when you see movies about people training to be in the army, their training officer never has anything could to say to them. But if you are going to give congratualtroy messages you may want to see what others highscores are to give you a better range of data to base it on.

About the online part. I usually don't like online games put on the GMC. Usually they arn't great and are needlessly put online, ie., they are just online becuse for some reason people are attracted to online games. This is just my opinion, but I just don't really like it when people make them. But I think that yours is one that would benefit from being online. I mean you can hook up with friends online, or play against another person in a battle. I too have never had the need to use GM's online functions and don't really know what it would take to put yours online, but even if you just make it multiplayer in the game without being online that would be great. I don't know how you would handle thne controls using the mouse and all but I am sure there is a way. Playing against a friend in battle, or with them in a co-op would be awesome!
Game Maker 5.3 User...

Dereks Challenge 2: My Work In Progress... Last Updated August 2 2009, Check it out at the links below!

Need to create your own custom text in your game? Check out my Custom Text Engine here, Custom Text Engine

#23 Pro Pro.

Pro Pro.

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 739 posts

Posted 05 August 2009 - 07:21 PM

damage per second stat would be damage per hit divided by reload time

#24 Hafnium

Hafnium

GMC Member

• 50 posts

Posted 05 August 2009 - 09:49 PM

I take back what I said about the reward system. You just need to strategize and buy weapons that work well together.

#25 hithere

hithere

GMC Member

• 86 posts

Posted 06 August 2009 - 10:22 AM

Ok, I've updated the game last night with MINOR changes. It's probably not worth a re-download if u downloaded since my last update. Here's what i changed:
-Reward system. You get more money now during the earlier levels (but less for the later levels) so hopefully u won't have to play the same levels over and over again to get more money.
-Survival mode congratulatory message at the end. Now the game stops insulting you when u get around 6000. Before it was about 9000. ;)

@turtlefan haha.. maybe I need a tutorial/training mode? I just move around like crazy and shoot like crazy, that's my strategy.. haha. Of course, I guess i know what weapons are good so that's helps.

I've thought about a non-online multiplayer mode too but can't think of how/what the second player would control since both the mouse and the keyboard are used by player 1.

@Pro Pro. That's actually not a bad idea. I've tried to calculate the value for some of the weapons and it is quite a useful stat. But it also causes some problems with determining the damage per second for complicated weapons like auto-turrets and air strikes. Ah well, I'll figure it out. thanks for the suggestion.

@Hafnium Actually, I think you were right about the reward system and I have already changed it as I have mentioned above. ;) It's probably best to make players happy by giving them access to better weapons early in the game and keep them interested.

And to everyone else, if u play the game, please try Survival Mode and tell me what's the highest score you can get!

#26 turtlefan

turtlefan

Hockey Goalie

• 264 posts

Posted 06 August 2009 - 05:10 PM

Ya two player would be hard to make without a second mouse, if that is even possible. Maybe you could use something like WASD for movement of the tank, and UHJK for movement of the turret, and then just click, either UHJK to shoot. I don't know how that would work, but you would probably have t make it so the harder/longer a user presses either UHJK the faster the turret moves in order to make it as fair as using a mouse. That is the only thing I could think of for multiplayer.

EDIT: Ya a training mode would be nice. That way you can give some pointers on the best ways to attack. Maybe have some pointers for what weapons to use up close, some from far away and the best way to attack while taking the least amount of damage in return. Maybe try to give some ideas of some defense strategies as well. Just a few ideas of what I might find helpful.

Edited by turtlefan, 06 August 2009 - 05:24 PM.

Game Maker 5.3 User...

#27 ui_dsa

ui_dsa

GMC Member

• 105 posts

Posted 18 August 2009 - 11:31 AM

For some reason, everyone seems to like tank battle games. This is a particularly good one, but still has one major problem: The surfaces are screwed up. This is a very annoying problem, and seeing that other people have had it too, is something that you need to fix. To illustrate my point, two screenshots are provided below (click the links):

Screenshot 1

Screenshot 2

IF this problem was nonexistent, then I would give your game a 9/10, but seeing that it is a real problem, I give it a 6/10.

Edited by ui_dsa, 18 August 2009 - 11:32 AM.

My Website--www.ghosta5.tk
GhostA5 Open Source Level Editor (For GMCG)
GhostA5 World Map Editor (For GMCG)
Interface Design can make or break your creations--ALWAYS Remember that!

#28 posva

posva

GMC Member

• 610 posts
  • Version:GM8

Posted 18 August 2009 - 11:51 AM

It's a good game so far, but i recommend you to change the effects, these one are not realistic at all xD

#29 aprentice

aprentice

Rockhillgames

• GMC Member
  • 640 posts

Posted 18 August 2009 - 01:22 PM

these is a really good game, its fun and entertaining. The effects are really cool. You should get a thing that locks on your target automaticly
am apprentice and don't you ever forget it. search the gmc on google!CLICK HERE!
Posted Image

#30 Dylijn

Dylijn

GMC Member

• 553 posts

Posted 18 August 2009 - 02:40 PM

This game is really good, you can see the creatore putted a lot of hard work into this.
Its graphics look good, the gameplay is good and the effects are cool.

Keep going like this =D

Dylijn,

#31 hithere

hithere

GMC Member

• 86 posts

Posted 18 August 2009 - 03:39 PM

Thanks everyone! A new semester just started and I'm a little busy for now to update this game so I'll be back posting updates after a while. But keep playing the game and tell me what u think! :P

@turtlefan thnks for the suggestions. I also have some ideas for the training mode although I haven't started working on it yet.

@ui_dsa Thanks! I've been wanting to know what the "surfaces" glitch was all about. I've never encountered anything like that before. It's weird. Maybe it has to do with the computer? I dunno if it has to do with anything but are you using XP or Vista? I guess I shouldn't have disabled the "display error messages" checkbox since this is a WIP.

@posva thanks for playing. Are there any specific effects you don't like? I've changed a lot of the effects a few times but I know there are a couple of old ones I haven't updated yet.

@aprentice Thanks. you mean something that automatically locks the nearest target? I figured that kind of locking system might be annoying to aim if there are a lot of enemies on screen and you want to aim at a specific one. You can buy an auto lock upgrade in the garage if you're playing Tank Battle mode.. xD

@Dylijn Thanks a lot! :P

Edited by hithere, 18 August 2009 - 03:39 PM.

#32 spicydeath82

spicydeath82

Awesomesauce

• 138 posts
  • Version:GM8

Posted 06 July 2010 - 07:06 AM

i think i know how to fix the surface glitch. while following a tutorial on using surfaces the instructor said even when you first make a surface you need to clear it out(the video card tends to leave graphical junk laying around).
EXAMPLE:

CREATE EVENT
yoursurface=surface_create(width,heigth);
surface_set_target(yoursurface);
draw_clear_alpha(0, 0); // this is key it fills your surface with transparent black thus erasing it!
surface_reset_target();

surface_set_target(your surface);
draw_sprite(sprite0,0,0,0);// turn this into what ever your drawing in there
surface_reset_target();

hope this helps with the graphical glitches.
Life is incapable of of springing from nothing. Science has proven that. So if life here didn't spring up outta the primordial muck then who's responsible? Life has to come from life.

Posted Image

#33 hithere

hithere

GMC Member

• 86 posts

Posted 15 July 2010 - 06:00 AM

i think i know how to fix the surface glitch. while following a tutorial on using surfaces the instructor said even when you first make a surface you need to clear it out(the video card tends to leave graphical junk laying around).
EXAMPLE:

CREATE EVENT
yoursurface=surface_create(width,heigth);
surface_set_target(yoursurface);
draw_clear_alpha(0, 0); // this is key it fills your surface with transparent black thus erasing it!
surface_reset_target();

surface_set_target(your surface);
draw_sprite(sprite0,0,0,0);// turn this into what ever your drawing in there
surface_reset_target();

hope this helps with the graphical glitches.

Thanks a lot! I will try that out. But for now this game is on hold indefinitely. I still receive email notifications for replies to this topic tho.

#34 masterm

masterm

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1107 posts

Posted 15 July 2010 - 06:51 AM

Wow this game rocked, 9/10 !!!
If i helped you and you want to return the love or you just want to help someone then pleas like the Company i work for fan page by clicking here
It helps to motivate us to work harder on our project's and to achieve a better job everytime.

Posted Image

#35 masterm

masterm

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1107 posts

Posted 18 July 2010 - 08:36 AM

I beated the game in like 3 days(every day i play a little after i come from work) and i gotta say its a well balanced game and forget the 9/10 i gave it its 1 10/10, gotta love this game lol(i used airforce allot :D)
If i helped you and you want to return the love or you just want to help someone then pleas like the Company i work for fan page by clicking here
It helps to motivate us to work harder on our project's and to achieve a better job everytime.

Posted Image

#36 hithere

hithere

GMC Member

• 86 posts

Posted 19 July 2010 - 11:33 AM

@masterm wow thanks. Glad to know you liked it! :D