37 replies to this topic

#1 fawful

fawful

dear leader

• GMC Member
  • 1321 posts
  • Version:GM8

Posted 03 December 2008 - 01:57 PM

I made this game for a small comp on GMG,it had be finished by a deadline so it's a little rough around the edges,but over all it's pretty cool.

Posted Image

download
host a
Download cruiser
yoyo
http://www.yoyogames...ames/show/62285

I've updated the game!

Mainly it's the graphics that have been improved,but also,lots of people have said the ship move WAY to slow,so i've sped it up a bit.
Also an optional easy mode(which kills the length of it due the infernal easyness of the mode,it's basicly an option to tear the games soul out).

BTW improved graphics includes the ship,meaning it looks tons better than it's slower predecessor.

Use arrow keys and X to move and fire.

Edited by fawful, 08 January 2009 - 01:15 PM.

#2 llama man

llama man

NOD Logo Artist

• GMC Member
  • 1592 posts
  • Version:GM8.1

Posted 04 December 2008 - 12:12 PM

Your... "ship" or whatever it is is way too big and slow, i get hit by almost everything thats fired in my direction. Other that the game being a bit too hard for my liking, its awesome as hell. Graphics are really cool, i liked that first miniboss or what it is, the one with the giant face on it. Sounds suited the game and so did the music. Its a nice timewaster for those who can bare to retry more than 3 times and not breaking the pc.

Gameplay: 6/10 a bit too hard and not all that fun.

Graphics: 9-10/10 i really like the look of it.

Sounds: 9/10 Sounds were great.

Overall: I cant do math so you'll have to calculate it yourself, lol.

#3 fawful

fawful

dear leader

• GMC Member
  • 1321 posts

Posted 06 December 2008 - 02:38 PM

Thanks llama guy!
I've got quite a few comments about the ship being too slow and big,it's something to take note of for the future.
Im glad you enjoyed it.

#4 jcgurango

jcgurango

GMC Member

• 295 posts

Posted 06 December 2008 - 06:11 PM

Well llama, your score goes to the infinitith decimal place so I'll round it off for you:
8.167/10

#5 SaMBRouGHToN

SaMBRouGHToN

GMC Member

• 7 posts

Posted 06 December 2008 - 06:31 PM

Well llama, your score goes to the infinitith decimal place so I'll round it off for you:
8.167/10

It comes to 8/10, so you can't be very clever can you?

#6 chichmonkey

chichmonkey

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 246 posts

Posted 07 December 2008 - 02:29 PM

I do believe you've misspelled Cruiser.
Yeah, since 24/3 is a ratio, the number can't be irrational.
If I were to say
Gameplay: pi/5
Graphics: square root of 23/5
Sound:the circumfrence of a circle whose diameter is 1.5 units/5
That comes to approximately 4.2166043857624008792513488407872/5.
And that's my actual review.

#7 just one question

just one question

GMC Member

• 749 posts

Posted 07 December 2008 - 05:16 PM

I played this last night, and it was really hard. So amazingly hard, that my average lifespan was about a minute and a half. But that minute and a half was great. Loved the graphics and atmosphere provided by the game.

Nice work, fawful.

To me, this kinda game is one you have to play over and over to get it right, like R-Type.

However! I do believe you should load some resources externally to cut down on loading time.

Edited by just one question, 07 December 2008 - 05:20 PM.

#8 hithere

hithere

GMC Member

• 86 posts

Posted 08 December 2008 - 04:42 PM

I like the visual style although I'm not sure what the objects are supposed to be (what's the main thing I'm controlling anyway? A mechanical bird? lol). But I couldn't get past one of the big bosses so I don't even know if there are other cooler weapons or just the one rapid fire laser gun or whatever you call it. And the screen shakes and particle effects were nicely done.
Graphics: 9.5/10
Sound: 9.5/10
Gameplay: 6/10

But I'll keep playing for a while to see if I can at least beat that darn tough boss.

#9 fawful

fawful

dear leader

• GMC Member
  • 1321 posts

Posted 08 December 2008 - 06:34 PM

Thanks tons everybody,i've just played it now and the ship definately needs to be faster.
Oh,and i've posted this on cactus's forum and he likes it Huzzah!

I do believe you've misspelled Cruiser

Intentional.

However! I do believe you should load some resources externally to cut down on loading time.

I did,every music file is externaly loaded,i've no idea why that loading time is so long.:/

#10 zachTaylor

zachTaylor

GMC Member

• 329 posts

Posted 08 December 2008 - 07:21 PM

hell isn't awesome. It's always on fire and it hurts a lot.

But this game is actually awesome.
I had fun playing it. But I seemed to die a lot.
maybe make me move a little bit faster?

Great graphics too. How did you do in the competition?

#11 fawful

fawful

dear leader

• GMC Member
  • 1321 posts

Posted 08 December 2008 - 07:33 PM

hell isn't awesome. It's always on fire and it hurts a lot.

But this game is actually awesome.
I had fun playing it. But I seemed to die a lot.
maybe make me move a little bit faster?

Great graphics too. How did you do in the competition?

It looks like im going to win,we're just waiting for one of the judges to give his opion on an other game.
Yeah,the ship is epicly slow,i should of thought about speeding it up a bit before releasing it.

About the "awesome as hell"in the title,it's a quote,im not going to say that about my own game(im not that arrogant).With most of my stuff,if i get a good comment i put it up in the title in order to get the attention of peeps.

#12 just one question

just one question

GMC Member

• 749 posts

Posted 08 December 2008 - 11:35 PM

did,every music file is externaly loaded,i've no idea why that loading time is so long.:/

Well a .exe of 14.89 megabytes is gonna take a long time. I just figured you packed all your resources into the .exe, wonder why it's so big then.

#13 9_6

9_6

• GMC Member
  • 3627 posts

Posted 13 December 2008 - 11:05 PM

Lower the inertia.
The player should take less time to reach full speed.

Also make the flapping a bit faster if you move up and get whatever makes the exe have a 14 mb filesize out of the exe!

#14 fawful

fawful

dear leader

• GMC Member
  • 1321 posts

Posted 13 December 2008 - 11:12 PM

Lower the inertia.
The player should take less time to reach full speed.

Also make the flapping a bit faster if you move up and get whatever makes the exe have a 14 mb filesize out of the exe!

If i update it,i will definately do that.
It's not in the exe,i externaly loaded all the sound files.Oh well,wav files are huge theres no escaping it.

#15 9_6

9_6

• GMC Member
  • 3627 posts

Posted 13 December 2008 - 11:30 PM

Well apparently unpacking ressources from the exe takes time too so you might as well want to keep external things external from the start.
This shouldn't require much effort on your side anyway since the loading is already implemented.

Edited by 9_6, 13 December 2008 - 11:32 PM.

#16 orange08

orange08

Art Game Movement

• GMC Member
  • 2246 posts
  • Version:GM:HTML5

Posted 18 December 2008 - 09:43 PM

Ill test this game out and edit later.. Even though Im not that much for Shmups :P

-orange08

Edit: Nice game... I thought I had gotten to the boss though... Haha! it was too early for that.

Edited by orange08, 18 December 2008 - 09:54 PM.

#17 fawful

fawful

dear leader

• GMC Member
  • 1321 posts

Posted 19 December 2008 - 04:16 PM

Updated!and coughbumpcough

-Improved graphics.
-Fixed HUD depth problems(the HUD would be drawn under explotions and things)
-Made the ship move faster and look cooler.
-Optional easy/hard mode!

And thanks Orange08!
The first mini boss is quite rubbish really.

#18 just one question

just one question

GMC Member

• 749 posts

Posted 20 December 2008 - 03:53 PM

Nice update, still a tough game, like the new ship though I didn't hate the old one.

#19 graham

graham

Artist and Programmer

• 523 posts

Posted 20 December 2008 - 11:30 PM

Awesome! Loved the graphics!

YYG download gave me a corrupted file error while the game was loading, but the mirror worked fine.

#20 Sulfuric

Sulfuric

Nintendo Worshiper

• 1353 posts

Posted 21 December 2008 - 04:46 AM

I liked this game, specifically the graphics style. I didn't find it super difficult, but I'm kind of a shmup junky. Once you knew where the hit box for the ship was, it got a lot easier.

#21 AIZEMESTER

AIZEMESTER

GMC Member

• 37 posts

Posted 21 December 2008 - 11:30 AM

It would be nice if there was a score or kills counter, this would give a point for killing enemies (because you can just avoid them and that would be the same as shooting them).
Also, I beat the game on hard mode (final boss was way easy, if you memorize his pattern, that is). :D

#22 fawful

fawful

dear leader

• GMC Member
  • 1321 posts

Posted 21 December 2008 - 12:07 PM

Woot!Page two!
Thats somekind of a record!

Nice update, still a tough game, like the new ship though I didn't hate the old one.

Thanks,i quite like both ships really,i think new one looks better though.

Awesome! Loved the graphics!

YYG download gave me a corrupted file error while the game was loading, but the mirror worked fine.

Thanks much!
Corrupted file error?
I'll have to look into that,thanks for letting me know.

I liked this game, specifically the graphics style. I didn't find it super difficult, but I'm kind of a shmup junky. Once you knew where the hit box for the ship was, it got a lot easier.

I knew it wasnt that hard,it's just certain parts that get rather tricky.Anyways,thanks,glad you like it!

It would be nice if there was a score or kills counter, this would give a point for killing enemies (because you can just avoid them and that would be the same as shooting them).
Also, I beat the game on hard mode (final boss was way easy, if you memorize his pattern, that is).

Yeah,thats true,if i had the time i would have put in some kind of highscore system,i didnt :D.
And yeah,the last boss is a bit easy,except for the epic lazor beamz part.It catches you off gard.

#23 orange08

orange08

Art Game Movement

• GMC Member
  • 2246 posts
  • Version:GM:HTML5

Posted 21 December 2008 - 01:36 PM

I just cant beat this game... :D
Even on easy mode :P

lol.

Really, Really, Really, Hard. I beat the first boss and the second boss but after that I was killed. :P

You might want to make the easy mode be easier for Noobs like me. :(

Very good Health System, BTW. :)

-orange08

Edited by orange08, 21 December 2008 - 01:39 PM.

#24 Tapey

Tapey

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 228 posts

Posted 13 January 2009 - 09:30 PM

I really like this game, a LOT. The player ship is awesomely animated and in general the graphics are really quite stylish, I especially like how it's slightly creepy with the biomechanical-style faces and stuff. I also like the blue/white/grey colour scheme, don't see it around often and it adds a unique visual style to things to make the game recognizeable. In general the enemies are cool, they look neato AND they all have very unique attacks differentiating them - however I wasn't fond of the later enemies I saw just before dying (dunno how far I got...) that were purple and stuff, they seemed rushed visually and didn't really gel with the other aesthetics of the game at all. However a small redo of the sprites is all that's needed for them (in my opinion) and they would be fine. I thought the music was really cool aswell. I'm not sure exactly how much content this game contains in total but whats here to play is awesome.

The only things I would change personally are:

-Those purpleish enemies, just change the sprites to something that fits with the look of the game some more.
-Maybe more enemies? It might make the game too hard considering the current difficulty level but it would be nice if there was a little more happening onscreen? I don't know if you could maybe pad the game out with some more "filler" type of enemies that aren't particularly challenging (since there's plenty of challenge already) but just adds to the amount of stuff blowing up.
-More content.
-I really like this floating heads. At first I thought they did nothing so it surprised me when I was going to shoot one and it fired a laser at me lol, I think it might be cool if you made them a little big bigger and added in an animation for their mouths opening up really wide prior to firing?

I'm not surprised that Cactus likes this either, it seems like the kinda game he would make. I've also just realized why I love the visuals so much, it reminds me of BLAME! which is really awesome.

#25 Tapey

Tapey

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 228 posts

Posted 13 January 2009 - 09:55 PM

Ok I just completed it (had to go play it again...). One extra thing I'd like to add to my previous post is regarding the boss. It's really well done I think (and really oldschool too which I like) but I think that the player needs to be given some kind of visual cue regarding attacks. For example that one giant laser it fires from the middle of the screen is completely unexpected, the others I could suss out beforehand due to the bosses hands moving (although the hand attacks where his hands are not visable at the top of the screen need changing I think) but I think there needs to be some kind of warning such as seeing the attacks being charged maybe? There's plenty of visual cues you could implement if you wanted.

Either ways though that's a pretty cool game there. Would you ever be willing to share the source code for it? I'm making a shmup of my own and would love to see how you've made the player/enemies/boss using multiple parts stuck together and how you're firing bullets from specific parts of them. It would be greatly appreciated! If not it's cool, I know not everyone's willing to share their source code for stuff but it's hard as nails to find tutorials/examples for doing shmup bosses :)

#26 Fiender

Fiender

GMC Member

• 912 posts

Posted 14 January 2009 - 08:39 PM

It was a nice game, but the Health went down way to fast in my opinion. Maybe make powerups that restore health, or make it slowly regenerate on its own.

#27 fawful

fawful

dear leader

• GMC Member
  • 1321 posts

Posted 19 January 2009 - 03:57 PM

Thanks tapey,i always enjoy long comments explaining why you like things insted of just a simple "nice game".

As for the out of place purple/black enemys,i kinda thought they were out of place too,i wanted they to be like a seperate force to the surreal floating robotic head things,so i thought i would give them a small section and unique weapon.

It is kinda evil that giant uber beam thing fired by the last boss,there is an animation before he does that but it's not played long enough for the player to feel the need to move,on the other hand i did kinda want it to be slightly unfair,to give it a bit length.

If you want i can PM you the source,or if you want just the parts your interested in,i should warn you,it may or may not be commented.
Actualy it might be best if i comment the parts you want and PM you the code.

@Fiender

I didn't want it to be an easy game,doing that along with the easy mode would make it too easy for my liking.

#28 Mark Ian

Mark Ian

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 136 posts
  • Version:Unknown

Posted 19 January 2009 - 04:37 PM

awesome graphics, The ships a bit too slow, but I would keep the size (that would keep the difficulty level but increase the freedom of moovement).

#29 BountyHunterSAx

BountyHunterSAx

GMC Member

• 36 posts

Posted 20 January 2009 - 01:56 AM

Why..oh WHY do people keep putting Shootem'ups under the Arcade genre forum?

-AHMAD

#30 Tapey

Tapey

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 228 posts

Posted 20 January 2009 - 07:37 AM

If you want i can PM you the source,or if you want just the parts your interested in,i should warn you,it may or may not be commented.
Actualy it might be best if i comment the parts you want and PM you the code.

Thanks that would be awesome. Ummm... could you just do the sourcecode for the boss and comment it all? I've chosen that mainly because it looks to be made of a few different objects and has a fair few animations, so if it was commented to say like how each part is moving and stuff that would really be appreciated a lot :blink: It's really tough to learn how to do shmup bosses made of multiple objects and never found/seen any tutorials on it, so if you could comment and share that would be awesome :blink: Maybe just edit the game so when starting it launches into the bossfight straight away? Then I could see the commented code and fiddle around to see what happens when I change certain things.

And you're welcome, it's a really cool game so if you have the odd block of free time here and there I think it's worth adding more stuff to. It really goes to show how worthwhile it is adding some art/direction and character to a game is aswell, it stands out much more than most.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users