darthlupi

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 414 posts

Posted 25 November 2008 - 07:58 PM

Game Maker Version - GM7

Zipped Executable: DOWNLOAD
Stage of development: Early tech demo

Behold! You are an ancient wizard of great power who has been held in statis for eons! You have broken free and seek vengeance on those that who trapped you!

Combine ancient ruins to create powerful spells! Learn to tango?

--Controls--

JOYSTICK or

Arrow keys move you
Z shoots the wand
X shoots the spell you create
Space Brings up the spell create screen
1-5 to switch spells

-What works
Spell create screen is working. Use the arrow keys to pick the relic on the left and combine them to create powerful spells.
Main Map is only partially completed. Right now there are three enemies to attack.
In game, right now the only mission to defeat a certain number of enemies and find the exit back to the main map.

-What is planned?
A whole lot more!

Screen Shots:

Main Map:
Posted Image

In Game Action:
Posted Image

Spell Creation Room:
Posted Image

Edited by darthlupi, 25 November 2008 - 08:00 PM.

#2 Grey Matter

Grey Matter

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 236 posts

Posted 25 November 2008 - 09:38 PM

This is very impresive.

Runs so smooth, great retro feel, and stylistice animations.

AI is relentless and efficient. Are you using grid-based pathfinding or mp_potential?

Recomendations:
Don't give me all the spell components up front, make them become available in new areas giving me a reason to explore.
It appears that the AI can see through walls. Maybe good for higher levels but not at the beginning.
I know you are trying to get the retro vibe, but this is a computer game, why not use a mouse on the spell screen.
Have the monsters roam on the main screen.

#3 darthlupi

darthlupi

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 414 posts

Posted 25 November 2008 - 09:45 PM

This is very impresive.

Runs so smooth, great retro feel, and stylistice animations.

AI is relentless and efficient. Are you using grid-based pathfinding or mp_potential?

Recomendations:
Don't give me all the spell components up front, make them become available in new areas giving me a reason to explore.
It appears that the AI can see through walls. Maybe good for higher levels but not at the beginning.
I know you are trying to get the retro vibe, but this is a computer game, why not use a mouse on the spell screen.
Have the monsters roam on the main screen.

Sweet, glad you liked it! Now in reply to your comments:

1. I was thinking about adding optional mouse support for aiming etc. It's interesting to hear interest in it. : )
2. Spell components, health level, number of spell slots you can to create a spell, mana level, and mana regeneration will all be purchased or discovered through out the game. I just wanted to give you the over power to get a feel of things.
3. Monsters will roam the screen, and they will either be randomly generated (like the levels) or will come out of castles you have to vanquish.
4. As far as AI seeing through walls, I never stopped to think about it, but it might be a good idea to dumb them down.
5. What I am doing is using the mp_potential, but only occassionally and with a very high cost set on the number of moves ahead to check. This makes the function more expensive in terms of CPU cycles, but it is moderated by the fact that I only use it occassionally, and then I set the enemy to move in the last direction given for 50-100 steps.

I think you will like the finished product I have in mind. There will be hidden special spell combinations, and tons of little extra things to find and purchase like new wands and robes.

#4 dimitri

dimitri

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 248 posts

Posted 25 November 2008 - 10:06 PM

I downloaded this demo thinking "Oh what, he's just copied and pasted Magecraft"

How wrong I was.

Hot stuff here. I LOVE the sound effects, how did you make them!? do tell. The spell creation system is wicked! I just slapped some of the symbol things (some descriptions of what they do would be nice) together and voila, more pew pew than your standard pew pew.

- Awesome sounds
- Spell creation system is fun and interesting
- Is there a goal in each 'encounter' or is that not finished yet?
- Descriptions of each of the spells would aid noobs like me.
- Not really liking the name.
- Could you make it so that control locks the players direction? It's kinda hard to aim.

I've always loved your games, and respected you for finishing them. Keep going with this one!

Edited by dimitri, 25 November 2008 - 10:07 PM.

#5 darthlupi

darthlupi

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 414 posts

Posted 25 November 2008 - 11:17 PM

Dimitri,

It's nice to hear from you. I really try not to rehash games, but sometimes I have to revise them. Mage Craft is soooo crappy compared to what it was supposed to be. During the time since it's creation, I have learned that accesability (ie making it easy to jump in a play ) is more important than FEATURE. At the time I created Mage Craft I was not thinking of the player as much as the concept. I hope to correct that here.

As for the sounds, I use a SUPER SWEET program: http://www.cyd.liu.s...oject_sfxr.html
Be sure to play around with it. It is fun.

I will DEFINITELY describe the spells! I can't believe that I left that out. I am so sorry!
I hate the name too. Just a place holder my friend.
The goal in the encounters right now is just to kill a certain number of enemies. There will be non-random levels that will culminate in a boss battle!

Well, thanks for the feedback, and have a great one.

#6 Grey Matter

Grey Matter

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 236 posts

Posted 25 November 2008 - 11:44 PM

Oh yes, more health/food, heal spell or let me camp/rest on the main screen.

#7 FoxInABox

FoxInABox

GMC Member

• GMC Elder
  • 6345 posts
  • Version:GM6

Posted 26 November 2008 - 12:08 AM

Realy nice game, I will deffindly follow the progress on this, oh and 2 other things:
- When I am at the spell create screen and have combined a few spells .. if I then exit without creating a spell, then the relics I didn't use don't return
- Can you add a joystick button for spell set switching?

#8 darthlupi

darthlupi

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 414 posts

Posted 26 November 2008 - 12:47 AM

Realy nice game, I will deffindly follow the progress on this, oh and 2 other things:
- When I am at the spell create screen and have combined a few spells .. if I then exit without creating a spell, then the relics I didn't use don't return
- Can you add a joystick button for spell set switching?

Grey - Camping sounds like a cool idea! I always loved it in final fantasy when you could buy a tent and save the game! Thank you for playing Grey. I know that this may not be your genre, but little additions like camping may make it more fun for you, eh?

FoxInABox - Sweetness, I can't believe you found a bug in the spell room! Your friggin rock! Definitely have to clean that up.
I am definitely going to add spell switching via the game pad. That makes perfect sense.

Thanks for the responses guys. It only makes the end product better!

#9 PurpleFuzzy

PurpleFuzzy

Punk Rock Princess

• GMC Member
  • 1589 posts
  • Version:None

Posted 26 November 2008 - 01:02 AM

This is quite a lovely surprise. I haven't seen a game from you since The Cleaner.

Right now, I can tell it's very early, but I'm very proud to say that the game royally kicks my ass. The map/battle rooms remind me of Raging Skies, but the grid-based movement on the map makes it a lot easier to navigate than Raging Skies was. I also liked how everything is static until you get to the battling. I really liked the small things like how the corpses of the enemies stayed after killing them.

My only real quip right now is that the AI isn't overly impressive. Right now the "move towards player and attack when close to him" movement is pretty bland and I feel like a game like this needs more intelligent AI to really work. I also found that they often got stuck in trees.

Other than that, I dig it. The spell creation is an awesome concept, and I think you could take that really far. Good work and glad to see you're back. :P

-PF

Edited by PurpleFuzzy, 26 November 2008 - 01:02 AM.

#10 Carnivac

Carnivac

The Hunter

• GMC Member
  • 3300 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 26 November 2008 - 11:38 AM

Hey is this what eventually spawned out the ideas we discussed a couple years ago? It's pretty cool and certainly a good tense shooter, and glad that you put joypad control in there though will you let people redefine the buttons? Even the regular four buttons on the right of a joypad are differently mapped on all sorts of different joypads.

The main problem I'm having with the gameplay so far, is apart from the enemies being a little unrelenting at times (I got trapped in a corner and pummelled), I found it too easy to just rush to where the exit would open, and just stay around that area til I killed 25 enemies and just jump in. I would like more incentive to explore the map more trying to pick up rare items. You probably already got that in mind anyways.

I hate that when I'm side on against a wall the shots from my hand next to the wall hit the wall and get cancelled out which seems a bit cheap. I had a similar issue in my current platform shooter where the upgraded bigger blaster shots I fired, would hit a lil bit of the floor and disappear before hitting the enemy that was coming up to that lil platform. It looked ridiculous and felt like the player was actually being punished for upgrading their gun. I changed it now so that when the bullet checks for walls it uses the it's tiniest incarnation as the mask for that check, and then reverts to the bigger sprite's mask when checking for enemy collision. Now the large blast ignores if it clips the floor or ceiling and continues going on and it feels and looks much, much better and fairer for the player.

That tracker mod you got for the battles is great. I'm sure I've heard those sound samples in old Amiga game tracker mods before.

To be honest I still don't really like the spell creation system and it's one of the things that put me off the original Mage Craft. But lots of people seem to like it so it's ok I guess. I just find it a bit annoying and tedious and especially moreso in this faster action game it seems to just break the mood a bit. Being able to switch between spells with the joypad shoulder buttons would be nice. Works fine in the 16/32 bit Mega Man games.

1. I was thinking about adding optional mouse support for aiming etc. It's interesting to hear interest in it.

Don't do thaaat. It'll turn it into another one of the countless crappy top down shooters that litter this forum. Fast arcade shooters like this are best played with joypad/stick. And a two player mode would be nice too ya know. And let me redefine the keyboard controls to use the Dual X-Arcade (which for some reason despite being a huge joystick, is read as a keyboard). This is certainly a game I can see me and my friends wanting to play on the big TV with the chunky joysticks.

Graphics are pretty cool, and I like the pixelly look. Not so keen on the screen spinning off and fading like that though. Sprites are good. Particularly like the enemies. The trees look good too. The rocky tiles I think could be better and they look like they have a different perspective to everything else. The HUD is good and reminds me of several action rpgs on the SNES.

Anyways, nice work.

#11 darthlupi

darthlupi

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 414 posts

Posted 26 November 2008 - 02:13 PM

PurpleFuzzy,

Thanks! As far as the enemy AI is concerned, my plans involve creating several different types of attacking enemies in order to create a mix of strategies that the player will have to incorporate. There will be bomb hurls to keep the player moving, shield bearing enemies that will set up a line of denfense for their rushing brothers, teleporters that will keep the player guessing, and tons giant baddies that will slowly crush you if you don't do something about them.

The mix of enemies will hopefully allow me to create different random and planned scenarios that will force you play each level differently. I hope.

Carnivac,

This is EXACTLY the game that we discussed years ago.

In all honesy the spell creation is inspired heavily by the SNK game Iron Tank. That game was a bit slower moving and allowed you to configure your shots between 4 shot types, and they slowly drained their individual ammo reserves. Part of me is sorely tempted to use a Gradius or Life Force style weapon building system, but I don't think it works with a one life to live style game. If you come up with any interesting ideas for the spell system holler em out.

I am incredibly honored that you appreciate even a bit of the pixel work. Especially the hud. I wanted to make sure to incorporate sprite based text and joypad movement with you in mind. Thankfully I don't have much in the way of tiles completed so changing the perspective will be easy enough.

I remember all of the discussions about the mouse vs the game pad. I'll keep it pure. I hate creating button assignment scripts but, again this is all part of game creation!

Thanks a ton man!

#12 AuthenticKaizen

AuthenticKaizen

GMC Member

• 140 posts

Posted 28 November 2008 - 06:16 PM

i enjoyed legend of shadow and the cleaner very much.
so i had to check this out...
here we go...

lovely retro pixel graphics (love the animations and the the blinking of the trees and enemies when you hit them...and when they fell over) smooth controls (i love wasd + mouse aming but in this case it would change the game totally and maybe destroy it... gameplay has a good feel, the controls are cool so far with the strafing and locked shooting...as carnivac already pointed out. so i think wasd + mouse aiming should - when you decide to code and implement it - only be optional), nice sound effects, also the spell system adds much fun to the game. pretty powerful blasts. :-D

summary: fun and very promising.

good work darthlupi. looking forward for further releases and progress of this game. :lol:

Edited by AuthenticKaizen, 28 November 2008 - 06:17 PM.

#13 SunnyKatt

SunnyKatt

Code Drama

• Sandbox Moderators
  • 704 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 29 January 2009 - 01:26 PM

Sorry for bumping this thread. This is awesome! I was a huge fan of magecraft and so I love this as well. Spell creation is very cool. Good work, man.

Very smooth animations, I liked them alot.

I also like the redesign of your site. I was going to say this there, but comments were turned off. :lol:
And as usual - release Sword Fighter 0!

newsigp.png

Computer Science / Indie Game Dev. Check my site by clicking above. New game won't be announced for a while; sit tight.

#14 Jenner

Jenner

Jenner

• GMC Member
  • 904 posts

Posted 29 January 2009 - 02:40 PM

Wonderful presentation. I hope that you will continue and finish this little piece of art. You have already made a lot of content: Remember not to take to big a mouthful, better a little will polished game than a big unfinished one.

This is going to be a great game!

#15 Nobody

Nobody

GMC Member

• 335 posts

Posted 29 January 2009 - 02:45 PM

crazy work lupi. :lol: really like the spell creation, and gameplay is fun. maybe make it a bit slower/less respawning. anyway, awesome. you should've told me about this!

#16 whgoss

whgoss

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 390 posts

Posted 29 January 2009 - 04:10 PM

You and magic, I swear. Haha. No surprise here though, keep up the great work!

#17 Zarthas

Zarthas

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 845 posts
  • Version:GM8

Posted 24 February 2009 - 06:46 AM

You are seriously my GM hero.

I happened to be playing Magecraft yesterday(No lie!), there's definitely some residual elements from that game in here, but this takes it to a whole new level. Its just like playing one of the old classics, you nailed the retro feel head on, from the smooth movement to the enemy AI to the subtle things like that little overlay when you kill an enemy. Playing it with a controller is amazing, just like a SNES or Genesis title.

The intense pace of the game is great, the artwork is spot on, this is by far and way my favorite project of yours or anyone's for that matter :)

Man I'm going to keep playing this demo, but if you don't finish this one, I will take it personally. >.>

edit: Hey after playing, I do have a suggestion. On the Homing Relic thing, I usually end up hitting a wall. -_-.

I would suggest one of two things:

1 - Maybe have the homing activate after about 5 steps, letting it get into the general area you wanted to fire into.

2 - Or have it check in front of you when determining the nearest enemy. like lengthdir_x(32,direction) or whatever.

still great fun :o

Edited by Zarthas, 26 February 2009 - 07:08 PM.

#18 kittykat

kittykat

GMC Member

• 1 posts

Posted 11 May 2009 - 03:59 AM

this is an interesting discussion. thank you all for sharing :D
simulation rachat de credit

#19 squishpants

squishpants

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 18 posts

Posted 25 May 2009 - 05:34 AM

FREAKIN' AWESOME!

It's like Gauntlet but with deeper gameplay, I'm really excited to see new stuff come out by you!