• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Sir Enigma

Sir Enigma

GMC Member

• 24 posts

Posted 18 November 2008 - 12:01 PM

Genre: Mini-game
Difficulty: Easy-to-hard (slowly speeds up)
File size: 3.08 MB
Download it: Here

Posted Image

The gameplay is simple: you control a small ship at the room's floor. You must move left and right while shooting sandwich ingredients that bounce off the room's walls. Shooting the slices of bread, lettuce, tomato, ham, and cheese will launch them to the top of the room, where they'll stack upon one another. You must form full sandwiches in order to boost up your score. But beware, for there are also two cannons on the room's sides that are willing and able to fire energy bullets and Spikers at you. If you get hit, it's GAME OVER. More details included in-game.

(Note: While I do encourage feedback and criticism, I'll be away for the next two weeks. I'll be able to read and respond to your comments once I return.)

#2 PurpleFuzzy

PurpleFuzzy

Punk Rock Princess

• GMC Member
  • 1589 posts
  • Version:None

Posted 21 November 2008 - 12:38 AM

The game was charming, but not very well-constructed. The graphics are poor, but that's not a major problem. Mainly, the game just lacks polish. It was also annoying to die after being hit just once. The concept is very interesting though, so I would try to remake it.

-PF

#3 Sir Enigma

Sir Enigma

GMC Member

• 24 posts

Posted 04 December 2008 - 01:41 PM

The game was charming, but not very well-constructed. The graphics are poor, but that's not a major problem. Mainly, the game just lacks polish. It was also annoying to die after being hit just once. The concept is very interesting though, so I would try to remake it.

-PF

Apart from dying after a single hit, what else needs to be polished gameplay-wise? I'm not sure if I'll ever work towards a re-release for this, since my mind's set on other projects. But if I ever do, what else needs to be fixed?

#4 Anon

Anon

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 447 posts

Posted 05 December 2008 - 09:21 PM

You might make it so that the ship can move vertically as well, but not past the red line, and that getting hit just dominishes your points. You might want to change the text boxes as well, so that theyare not the default gray boxes. Other than that, the game was pretty fun!

#5 Sir Enigma

Sir Enigma

GMC Member

• 24 posts

Posted 09 December 2008 - 11:18 AM

You might make it so that the ship can move vertically as well, but not past the red line, and that getting hit just dominishes your points. You might want to change the text boxes as well, so that theyare not the default gray boxes. Other than that, the game was pretty fun!

I've thought of making the ship capable of moving vertically, but that would seem more like a function for a sequal than a re-release (like for the "3D Tetris" of Tetwich games). Nonetheless, it's a good idea. I don't like the idea of the bullets depleting your points, since that would hinder the element of aiming for the highscore board. I'd much rather give the player a health bar or lives. And I'll definitely look into the funky text box idea for other games I make. Thanks for your feedback!

#6 lewa

lewa

GMC Member

• 587 posts

Posted 08 January 2009 - 01:26 AM

Lol! This game made me laugh several times. I liked "based on a true sandwhich."

But:
It needs much better graphics
Bullets faster?

Supercilious, I know. Sorry. I blame GIMP.

#7 Sir Enigma

Sir Enigma

GMC Member

• 24 posts

Posted 30 January 2009 - 12:58 PM

Yeah, I do agree the bullets should have been faster. The player's bullets, at least.

Glad it made you laugh! I think the game's personality is its strongest feature.

#8 BENJAMUS

BENJAMUS

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 323 posts
  • Version:Unknown

Posted 30 January 2009 - 09:40 PM

Ooh, this is a good idea. With some polishing, this game would be excellent! It doesn't belong under puzzle, though.
To be honest, this game looks like it was put together in less than a day. Is this true?

...and that getting hit just dominishes your points...

I agree with this, I think it's a good idea, rather than dying. But then how would you lose? Hmm...
Graphics: 2/5 -- They had charm, but the backgrounds, highscore table, and message box all brought it down.
Sound: 2/5 -- There was music, but it wasn't satisfactory. I think it should have been more like the original tetris music.
Concept: 4/5 -- Yay sandwiches! Also, the way you conquered having a punishment for shooting too much was quite clever indeed.
Gameplay: 3/5 -- I tried a few times, and I must say, it was fun. I had a good laugh with this.
Programming: 5/5 -- I could not find any bugs with what you did program.
Bonus (low score will not count against overall score): 0/5 -- No extras included.
Overall: 3/5 -- sub-average
But guess what! I had to put down my sandwich so I could play this :lol:

#9 Sir Enigma

Sir Enigma

GMC Member

• 24 posts

Posted 31 January 2009 - 02:14 PM

I spent two back-breaking months of labour tweaking gameplay, composing music, and fixing errors. There was one particular graphical error that took three whole days of programming to fix. During the time I was programming this, my girlfriend cheated on me, only to break up with my by text message. And you, BENJAMUS, have the audacity to come on here and accuse me of making this game in a single day?

Nah, just kidding. I totally made this game in a couple of hours.

I guess the reason for this game's cruminess is that it wasn't originally make for the internet. A friend of mine helped me with computer issues, and as a gesture of thanks, I told him "I swear to God, I'm going to make you a sandwich". Then I got the idea for a puzzle game involving sandwiches. But a puzzle game sounded too hard to program, so instead I made a arcade-style game (note that I didn't originally categorize this as "PUZZLE"; that was the moderators' work apparently). After I opened my own website, I decided to edit Tetwich slightly for a wider audience. It wasn't until I uploaded the game that I came here and saw the calibre of other games and their graphics. To boot, I probably don't have as much experience as other users with Game Maker / paint programs.

I'm not trying to make any excuses for the game being unpolished. That was just to give you all a little backstory. I intend to add more polish to the next games I make, though still don't expect them to have the best graphics around.

...and sorry you had to put your sandwich down to play this, but it's really your own fault for not having more hands.

#10 BENJAMUS

BENJAMUS

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 323 posts
  • Version:Unknown

Posted 02 February 2009 - 05:30 AM

I spent two back-breaking months of labour tweaking gameplay, composing music, and fixing errors. There was one particular graphical error that took three whole days of programming to fix. During the time I was programming this, my girlfriend cheated on me, only to break up with my by text message. And you, BENJAMUS, have the audacity to come on here and accuse me of making this game in a single day?

Woah, you scared me for a minute, there!

...and sorry you had to put your sandwich down to play this, but it's really your own fault for not having more hands.

Hmph. :whistle:
Neat game, though. :(