Minigolf 2009
By Maverik94

Version 0.7 has been released! The new features include:
Menu
New Icon
New Loading Bar
Various Graphical Inprovements
Raised Par
When the ball falls into the water, it returns to the land near where it hit the water, instead of the beging of the hole
Other minor updates

What I still hope to add:

Music
New Sounds
2 player capabilities
High Scores (or low scores) list

Specs:
Size: 1.65 MBs
Made with: Game Maker 7 Pro
Changes Resolution: No, unless you are not 1024/768

Download Version 0.7 Here!

Screenshots:
The New Menu for version 0.7
Posted Image

Two In-game shots from Version 0.7
Posted Image

Posted Image

(sorry for the not so high quality screenshots, imageshack is not what it once was)

Before I begin explaining the game, let me make it clear that this is still a work in progress. I don't think there are any bugs, but I can't be sure. The game does not include a menu, music, or custom loading bar.

Here is a list of the current features that the game contains at this time:

• Original Images
• Original Gameplay
• Complete 18 Hole Minigolf Course
• Sounds (will be changed in the future)
• A Menu

The gameplay is really very straightforward, all you have to do is move the putter around with the mouse, and when you are happy with the shot, click the mouse.
Escape to exit
F1 for Game Information

Tips:

The power of your shot is shown next to the putter
Don't hit the ball too hard at the hole, or it will just bounce over it
**USE THE BUMPERS AT THE CORNERS!**
(This will help you a lot)
Watch out, the bridges are sloped at the sides, if the ball gets too close to the edges, it will fall off
Look at the arrows on the walls to see which way the slopes are going

Other

Please read the legal information in the readme file included in this file
The sounds that are used in this version of the game are made by Nikolai Ivanov (Claret) www.claretgames.tk gamerah@abv.bg

Edited by Maverik94, 16 March 2009 - 01:34 AM.

#2 Raptor320

Raptor320

GMC Member

• 449 posts

Posted 16 November 2008 - 04:49 AM

I wouldn't call it 'original' gameplay, to be honest. I've seen plenty of minigolf games, though only one other on the GMC.

It's a good, solid engine, though the scoring system needs to be done. There should be a table at the bottom of the screen:
HOLE NUMBER: 1 2 3 4 5
PAR: 2 3 4 3 3
SCORE: 2 4 3 2 2
It should save your records in an ini file maybe, so when you're selecting that course, it shows your records for each hole.

Also, there should be a menu, with course select, etc. A new loader, icon, etc would also make it much better.

Make the backgrounds larger, so that where a new tile starts isn't as obvious. Also, I'd make all the bumpers the same color, do something around the edge of the water, etc.

If you need help, PM me (I got an idea for the loader, menu, icon, etc). If you're looking for inspiration, try Minigolf - Miniclip. Good luck with this!
-Raptor320
NOW KNOWN AS ND4SPD

#3 homebrewpc

homebrewpc

GMC Member

• 651 posts

Posted 16 November 2008 - 04:59 AM

Oh my gosh...huge text. Tone it down a bit please, I think there is even a rule against that.

GMArcade is being remade into iPlayIndie, check out our development topic for more information.

#4 Bitsoft

Bitsoft

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 429 posts
  • Version:Unknown

Posted 16 November 2008 - 10:56 AM

I don't know about anyone else, but I'm leaving this game because of the big font ;) .
I have passed on all my work onto xyta. Go to xyta.eu5.org for up-to-date projects!

#5 Maverik94

Maverik94

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 275 posts

Posted 16 November 2008 - 05:04 PM

Thanks for the input Raptor320

hobebrewpc&bitsoft,
what huge text are you talking about?
There's no huge text when I run it

#6 Southman

Southman

I simply am not here

• GMC Member
  • 1662 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 16 November 2008 - 07:37 PM

Thanks for the input Raptor320

hobebrewpc&bitsoft,
what huge text are you talking about?
There's no huge text when I run it

The topic text.
Anyway, back on topic. I have never seen a GM Golf game. I would play it, but I am downloading something BIG, and there is an AVG scan goin on.

#7 Maverik94

Maverik94

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 275 posts

Posted 17 November 2008 - 02:49 AM

I hope you do download it sometime.
I didn't realize the text wasn't alowed to be big, but I changed it

#8 Ethelon

Ethelon

GM Artist

• 1094 posts

Posted 17 November 2008 - 03:47 AM

its still big... and the reason most people don't like big text is because its annoying... why can't you just post normal size..., I'm sort of lazy not listing the reasons... yea...

As for the game, its decent, but you should improve the graphics... and as for gameplay, I think you should have them click and then drag...
I made a minigolf game like this before, if I can find it I can let you use it to see how I did the coding... but chances are I won't be able to find it...

Wanderlust: Rebirth Beta Tester

#9 Maverik94

Maverik94

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 275 posts

Posted 17 November 2008 - 08:10 PM

Ok, is that better?
Also, Ethelon, I had the click and drag way first, but I thought it made me feel too pressured, so I changed it to the way that is is now. I doubt I will change it (unless, I get a bunch of people saying it should be that way), but thanks for the feedback.

Edited by Maverik94, 17 November 2008 - 08:45 PM.

#10 Raptor320

Raptor320

GMC Member

• 449 posts

Posted 19 November 2008 - 05:29 AM

IDEAS:
Water still doesn't look too good - needs a boundary.
If the ball falls into the water, it should return to where it was last, not to the start.
Pars are still too low, and I had no chance of getting that.
Seemed to lag a tiny bit, probably due to the drawing of the score board.

Other than that, nice work. It looks really good, though it's still lacking the menu I mentioned before. Keep it up!
-Raptor320
NOW KNOWN AS ND4SPD

#11 Maverik94

Maverik94

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 275 posts

Posted 19 November 2008 - 08:06 PM

I'm working on the water and am maybe going to animate it! Also, Ill raise the par on some of the harder levels to make it eisier (my best score was 74, but I got a 59 on version 0.5, but then I have no life jk :) ). Thanks for the input and keep looking for new versions.

#12 Maverik94

Maverik94

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 275 posts

Posted 21 November 2008 - 08:23 PM

Version 0.7 is coming out soon, I've fixed some problems, raised the par, and am currently working on a menu. Keep looking for more updates!

#13 Maverik94

Maverik94

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 275 posts

Posted 24 November 2008 - 08:59 PM

Minigolf 2009 Version 0.7 will be out by the end of this week (i'll have Thaksgiving break, so i'll be able to work on it)

#14 Maverik94

Maverik94

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 275 posts

Posted 10 March 2009 - 10:46 PM

This game has moved back on the "current projects" "table", what I need is a way to make a custom high score table, but Im working on that, version .7 that includes a menu, and some other enhancements.

#15 Maverik94

Maverik94

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 275 posts

Posted 13 March 2009 - 02:36 AM

Im bumping this topic to try and get more feedback. Version 0.7 will hopefully be out sometime this weekend, once I figure out the high scores system

#16 Maverik94

Maverik94

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 275 posts

Posted 15 March 2009 - 06:28 PM

The New version, version 0.7 is out. Please download, rate, comment, and above all, Enjoy!

#17 Binsk

Binsk

-Insane Kid-

• GMC Member
  • 3111 posts

Posted 16 March 2009 - 09:28 PM

Geez, you bump alot. :D :D
The game wasn't that bad, it could turn into a really fun game with some improvements. The game certainly needs music, even if it is temporary it would make it so your not just sitting there hearing "thump" over and over again thinking, "This is my 39'th shot on this stinking hole!", at least you would have some music to calm you. :D
The hills are extremely steep in my opinion, they effect the ball too much and could be toned down a bit. Also, they could use a little shading, graphical changes, or something because when you make a mole or some shaped hill it just looks like colored blocks and you have no idea which direction the slope will push you.
Also, the game got a little repetitive after a while. Adding a bit more content wouldn't hurt, perhaps windmills, tunnels, multiple holes, or some other things would make the game much more enjoyable.
Last but not least, I hope you add a level editor some time in the future, that would be a lot of fun making your own 18 holes once you have finished the built-in courses.

Anyway, the game is coming along great so far, could use some tweaking, but this could become a very fun game.

Edited by Scyler_27, 16 March 2009 - 09:29 PM.

NEWS FLASH! You can't get to heaven by your works. No chance. Hopeless. Give up now. No amount of works will get you anywhere, in fact all your efforts have been botched years ago because you already missed perfection the first time you lied, stole, or performed any of those other lovelies.

That said, do you want to go to heaven? Not the hellish picture given by cartoons. You know, the nightmarish one where you are renting a cloud and harp? I mean, holy crap, where did that come from? I am talking about a bonafide city, people, designed by God no less. Heck, read John's Revelation 21 if you want details. Getting to heaven is extremely simple, actually, the how and why is spelled out in Paul's letter to the Romans, summarized in Romans 10:9,10. God lived a perfect life and died in your place, covering every one of your mistakes and failures past and future. All you have to do is believe that He did what he said He did and accept the gift. Bam, you're saved. Done deal. Complicated, no? Questions? PM me.

#18 Maverik94

Maverik94

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 275 posts

Posted 17 March 2009 - 02:34 AM

hey! Sup Schyler! Thanks for trying out my game. Yes, Ill try to work on the hill tiles, I have gotten the suggestion for adding a level editor, and I plan on doing that, But I need to get the game working perfectly first. I only bump after the 2 day limit, So im doing nothing a aginst the rules! Also, Im looking of rpeople to do the music. I have recorded new better sounds for th game. As far as adding new obstacles....maybe, Ill think about it. My most pressing thing is getting a good high scores table going. I have no experience with arrays. So If you know of a good example, could you please PM me? Ill look at the steepeness of the hills too! Thanks for the comments, look for version 0.8 in the near future. All I have to do yet is: Music, High scores table, and some UI and Graphical enhancements.

#19 }{dark}{

}{dark}{

if internet==0

• GMC Member
  • 525 posts

Posted 23 March 2009 - 11:13 AM

This game is good but it lacks originality. New obstacles would be great and a level etitor, even better (It would be really funny). Sorry I couldn't help you with the music. Good luck with making the game "perfect",very few games on here are perfect. One more thing "FLUXYZOG.WEBS.COM"

#20 Kyon

Kyon

Creator of Dirkels

• GMC Member
  • 4247 posts

Posted 23 March 2009 - 11:47 AM

I liked it,
You know, if this was online multiplayer, it would be even more awesome!

My name is Kyon Edelenbosch, I Design, Program and Animate.

Learn more about Dirkels at http://kecreations.forumotion.com/

#21 }{dark}{

}{dark}{

if internet==0

• GMC Member
  • 525 posts

Posted 24 March 2009 - 08:43 AM

I liked it,
You know, if this was online multiplayer, it would be even more awesome!

Hmm an online multiplayer minigolf game, now that would be different. Might be a bit boring waiting for the other player to have a shot and It would be annoying if someone quit on you in the middle of a game that you are winning. But a possibility.

#22 Maverik94

Maverik94

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 275 posts

Posted 25 March 2009 - 03:06 AM

hey, sorry i havent been online for a while, but yeah, I just really need help with those high scores, i cant do anything else untill I have a good high scores engine...any ideas?

#23 Maverik94

Maverik94

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 275 posts

Posted 07 April 2009 - 11:37 PM

Version 0.8 is nearing completion, some of the things it will contain are: Music, new sounds, high scores. Version 0.9 will contain a UI update and graphical updates, as well as bug fixes. Version 1 will have a level editor

#24 Desert Dog

Desert Dog

GMC Member

• GMC Elder
  • 6409 posts

Posted 30 May 2009 - 12:24 AM

Hmmm, mini-golf, me-like.

Downloaded, played, liked. Nice little Mini-golf game, it's pretty neat. Please PM me, and tell me when the latest version comes out. :P

It's a pretty solid little engine, but the collisions with the slopes are a little tedious, sometimes. (Maybe it's just me being frustrated :P )

When you finish this version, you could use it as the basis of making a 3d version, since all the collisions etc. are already down. ^_^

Only real gripe, is that it seemed to me, that the ball will go into the hole, even when it's moving quite fast. (too fast, in my opinion)

Good luck!

~DD

Edited by Desert Dog, 30 May 2009 - 12:25 AM.

HTML5 games for mobile:
HexDogs Bugz Burn! Captain George Golfing Block Memory

Games for Androids
*NEW* Word Dog - Published by Dangerous_Dave

Code: General Array Functions - GM-S friendly. sorting, shuffling. Includes a quicksort.
Use the quicksort to sort ds_lists 10-18 times faster than ds_list_sort()!