GMC Member

• 912 posts

Posted 15 November 2008 - 04:17 PM

The Alliance

Controls:
Left Mouse Button --- Select unit
Shift+Left Mouse Button --- Add/Remove ship from current selection
Click and Drag Left Mouse Button --- Create selection box
Right Mouse Button --- (With Ships Selected) Command unit's movement (Without, at edge of screen) Pan with mouse
Middle Button --- send a ship to a point on the Minimap
Delete --- Simulate a Middle mouse click, if your mouse lacks one
C --- Send ships on cargo runs (for Cargo ships only)
S --- Name a ship
P --- Pause
Backspace --- Restart
Arrows---Navigate the current area
Left-Click the Minimap---Automatically jump to that point in the room.

Point of the Game
Right now, the only game mode available is Skirmish. All you really need to do is build your forces up and attack the enemy.

New Features:
  • New Menu
  • Missile Smoke has been updated
  • The larger and more powerful ships belonging to the Diemicos and Anakiad are now available
  • Several more features; check the included file for the complete list of updates

Screenshots - Updated: 11/05/10
Planet Defenses / 'Splosions 1 / 'Splosions 2

Download:
Current Release --- 11/05/10

Known Errors:
-Neither the Tutorial, nor the Campaign are currently functional.
-Attempting to use the minimap directly after clicking a structure will not always work; Double click to close the Structure's menu and grant full minimap functionality.

Credits:
Fiender : Programming and Graphics
)))Blackhole((( : Graphics
Supermegames : Graphics
Omerta : Graphics
masterofhisowndomain : Graphics
myname : Graphics
meltdown studios : Graphics
Halowar77 : Programming and Graphics

Support The Alliance

Put this userbar in your signature to show your support for the game!
Posted Image
[ url=http://gmc.yoyogames.com/index.php?showtopic=406493][ IMG]http://i283.photobucket.com/albums/kk285/Vajnraa/TheAllianceUserBar.png[/IMG][/url]

Game production is still on-going.

For those of you who have a facebook account, you can check out the game's page:
http://www.facebook....ce/206830751144
This is the official location for all Alliance news and updates. If anything is happening with the game you can learn about it first there.

Edited by Fiender, 13 December 2010 - 10:49 AM.

Posted Image

The Alliance progress:
|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||| 35%

#2 WillShattuck

WillShattuck

GMC Member

• 33 posts

Posted 15 November 2008 - 05:38 PM

Hi Fiender,

Interesting game. I don't usually go for RTS games, but this one was cool. I like sci-fi / space games. You have done really well on this game. Everything is very smooth and well thought out. Controls are easy to understand once you start experimenting. :)

A couple of suggestions:

1) Capture the ESC key so if you accidentally hit it when hitting F1 you don't exit the game :) I did that a couple of times before I realized what I was doing.

2) If the individual ships could be click able instead of having to click/drag to select them that would be fantastic.

3) Would it be possible to add build way points for the Hangers? That way when the ships are built they automatically head to a gathering location.

4) Build Queues: is it in your plan to allow people to queue up ships to build? Ex: clicking five times to build a cargo ship will build five cargo ships. I think this would only be possible if #3 was added.

5) Will you be adding a short tutorial on how to play your game? The game is easily understood without, but I think it would enhance the game even at this stage. Maybe have an opening menu screen with options: New Game, Tutorial, Options, Quit. Or something like that.

I do understand that this is a WIP, but I just wanted to offer some suggestions. Excellent job so far. :)

#3 willlewis

willlewis

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 346 posts
  • Version:Unknown

Posted 15 November 2008 - 09:09 PM

YEY!
i killed 'em all! ;)

nice game :)

Edited by willlewis, 15 November 2008 - 09:11 PM.

#4 Fiender

Fiender

GMC Member

• 912 posts

Posted 22 November 2008 - 05:27 PM

I've just release the new bunch of demos, so I'll be able to answer your questions ::lmao::

Hi Fiender,

Interesting game. I don't usually go for RTS games, but this one was cool. I like sci-fi / space games. You have done really well on this game. Everything is very smooth and well thought out. Controls are easy to understand once you start experimenting. :angry:

A couple of suggestions:

1) Capture the ESC key so if you accidentally hit it when hitting F1 you don't exit the game :) I did that a couple of times before I realized what I was doing.

2) If the individual ships could be click able instead of having to click/drag to select them that would be fantastic.

3) Would it be possible to add build way points for the Hangers? That way when the ships are built they automatically head to a gathering location.

4) Build Queues: is it in your plan to allow people to queue up ships to build? Ex: clicking five times to build a cargo ship will build five cargo ships. I think this would only be possible if #3 was added.

5) Will you be adding a short tutorial on how to play your game? The game is easily understood without, but I think it would enhance the game even at this stage. Maybe have an opening menu screen with options: New Game, Tutorial, Options, Quit. Or something like that.

I do understand that this is a WIP, but I just wanted to offer some suggestions. Excellent job so far. ::lmao::

1)I'll put something like that in the game eventually ::lmao::

2)Most ships can be clicked to be selected. Some of the Cargo ships need to be drag-selected because their masks are smaller than their sprite, because they would collide with other ships too often.

3)The current release has this feature, where the ships can fly out of the docks on their own.

4)Again, this has been added in the newest demo. The player can queue up to 6 ships.

5)Right now, the game's engine itself is being hammered down. I promise, before the game's final release their will be a tutorial for the game as well as a menu.

Like I said, I just added a new demo and I'm eager to get everyone's feedback.

Edited by Fiender, 22 November 2008 - 05:27 PM.

Posted Image

The Alliance progress:

#5 Fiender

Fiender

GMC Member

• 912 posts

Posted 23 November 2008 - 06:31 PM

EDIT: There were some issues with the download link, but they've been fixed. If you weren't able to download the game earlier please try again now.

EDIT edit: I meant to click Edit on my previous post, instead of new post...

Edited by Fiender, 23 November 2008 - 06:32 PM.

Posted Image

The Alliance progress:

#6 Omerta

Omerta

BREE! BREE!

• GMC Member
  • 437 posts

Posted 26 November 2008 - 01:20 AM

Not sure when this happened, but here:

ERROR in
action number 5
of Mouse Event for Left Released
for object obj_marketmenu:

Error in code at line 2:

instance_create(t.x,t.y,human_market)

at position 20: Unknown variable x

#7 Fiender

Fiender

GMC Member

• 912 posts

Posted 26 November 2008 - 08:11 AM

Not sure when this happened, but here:

ERROR in
action number 5
of Mouse Event for Left Released
for object obj_marketmenu:

Error in code at line 2:

instance_create(t.x,t.y,human_market)

at position 20: Unknown variable x

In order to add something to a planet, you need to press the "new" button to create another production slot (the yellow boxes). I'm guessing you pressed the Market button without there being another slot, that's the only explanation I can think of.
Posted Image

The Alliance progress:

#8 fpcorso

fpcorso

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 35 posts

Posted 27 November 2008 - 04:45 AM

So far so good. I noticed one small glitch. I had a massive amount of ships going to attack a bunch of ships and there were bullets and ships everywhere. After the fight, I realized all my cargo ships were frozen, sprite for planet was gone, and I could just go through the enemy ships without them attacking or moving. Probably a memory glitch of some sort. Great demo besides that.

One last thing. In the screenshot, the entire fleet was in an organized formation. How did you do that? I couldn't get them to stop running into each other and bouncing around.

EDIT: Also, can you make it so where when you are clicking on something, you can set how many times you want to do it. For example: There was a point when I had 1000 ores but no money. So I decided to sell some ores. However, I had to click the same button 100 times to get the money. Maybe if you included a right click command to allow things like "Sell 5, Sell10, Sell 50, Sell 100" or something like that.

Edited by fpcorso, 27 November 2008 - 11:20 PM.

#9 Fiender

Fiender

GMC Member

• 912 posts

Posted 04 December 2008 - 05:48 PM

There's a new demo up! I've taken a lot of your guys' suggestions to heart and tried to implement them.
Posted Image

The Alliance progress:

#10 Fiender

Fiender

GMC Member

• 912 posts

Posted 06 December 2008 - 07:29 PM

I'm not going to work on this game unless this topic get some new posts when I release new demos.
Posted Image

The Alliance progress:

#11 skull13

skull13

GMC Member

• 241 posts

Posted 06 December 2008 - 07:46 PM

OKAY!

First off: I don't have a middle mouse button, add another option.

Second: music, please.

Third: Great game!

KEEP IT UP, MAN!

Also, add some sound other than that *BEEP* for everything. Or make it less headache inducing, please.
Oh, yeah. One more thing. The tech is self explanatory, mostly. Please include descriptions in general of what they do.

(IE: Fund Transferral: Increases speed that the government throws money at you) or whatever that does.

Edited by skull13, 06 December 2008 - 08:03 PM.

#12 Clark Games

Clark Games

GMC Member

• 39 posts

Posted 07 December 2008 - 02:49 AM

Dude nice game.

I loved it. This is one of the first games i actually spent like 5-6 hours playing it.

Suggestion that i beg to be accomplished.

Add save feature!! and fix up the menu a bit with instructions and all. And the game is a little slow but still fun.

#13 unscmaster

unscmaster

GMC Member

• 946 posts

Posted 07 December 2008 - 04:53 AM

that was the best space game i have ever played. i spent like 8 hours on it. can you add a multiplayer option to battle other people over the enternet. and also add a scoreboard or ranking system to show who the top 100 players are.
Posted Image

#14 skull13

skull13

GMC Member

• 241 posts

Posted 07 December 2008 - 04:39 PM

Stop that.

Please, that stuff happens last!
Also: I doubt that will happen.

#15 king_of_llamas

king_of_llamas

KoL Games

• 1079 posts

Posted 07 December 2008 - 11:30 PM

GREAT GAME! freakin amazing graphics and gameplay. I can't even explain how impressed i was. 9.5/10

Why -.5... cuz i know where u stole a sprite from :blink:
I am looking for team members! See my thread!
http://gmc.yoyogames...howtopic=504050

#16 Fiender

Fiender

GMC Member

• 912 posts

Posted 07 December 2008 - 11:52 PM

GREAT GAME! freakin amazing graphics and gameplay. I can't even explain how impressed i was. 9.5/10

Why -.5... cuz i know where u stole a sprite from :blink:

What sprite?
Posted Image

The Alliance progress:

#17 king_of_llamas

king_of_llamas

KoL Games

• 1079 posts

Posted 08 December 2008 - 12:07 AM

the mining ore sprite. Its from a game i havent played in forever... umm... shoot whats it called.. .hold on i have to look it up lol....

Okay its been 5 minutes and I found it... Runescape lol... I swear I even played it to check, that is the sprite from one of their Ores... they are the exact same :blink: I love the game though. one glitch I found: if u move ur space station, it makes new buttons to make cargo bays, but the old ones stay there, so i had 4 buttons to make a ship bay :P Other than that the game is freakin amazing.

#18 fpcorso

fpcorso

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 35 posts

Posted 10 December 2008 - 01:21 AM

The demo's keep getting better and better.

I had a lot of these errors in the log:
[codebox]ERROR in
action number 2
of End Step Event
for object control:

Error in code at line 15:

gox = lengthdir_x(tr.sprite_width/2,tr.direction)+tr.x;

at position 23: Unknown variable sprite_width
[/codebox]
However, it did not effect game play, so it is ok, for now.

Great game.

EDIT: I just found one glitch. I was playing as human. I was working on my first planet, and had 2 mines and a market. I went to create a new construction site, and it appeared right over one of the mines. When I made it into a population center, all the objects were right on top of the others.

Edited by fpcorso, 10 December 2008 - 01:41 AM.

#19 skull13

skull13

GMC Member

• 241 posts

Posted 10 December 2008 - 01:08 PM

Another complaint: The research funding can go into the negatives, meaning that you can get 5 money a second if its set to -5. This also lowers the research gauge. This is probably considered an exploit. A final note: After building the ultramassive human ship out of heavy drydock, I had to press the arrow keys multiple times to make the camera go anywhere that mattered. This would not be a problem, but as I said, I have no middle mouse button, so I have to scroll to the target with the arrow keys.

#20 booyaw007

booyaw007

GMC Member

• 18 posts

Posted 11 December 2008 - 02:45 AM

nice game! i could lose a couple hours here.

only thing that really killed me was no mouse pan.

#21 skull13

skull13

GMC Member

• 241 posts

Posted 11 December 2008 - 03:13 PM

Oi. If the ship is only movingfrom one point to another, have it turn, then accelerate, rather than accelerate and turn at the same time. It makes things MUCH easier.

#22 masterofhisowndomain

masterofhisowndomain

The Designer

• GMC Member
  • 3650 posts
  • Version:GM8.1

Posted 11 December 2008 - 08:42 PM

Very decent game and a solid experience. I found it very enjoyable and absent of any bugs or glitches. Glad to see that you made use of my fighter sprite, and I appreciate the credit. If you need any graphics, even if it's just replacing that ore graphic, then I'll be more than happy to help! :)

List Of Mods And Add-Ons

(Things you must try, for the games you already have)

Insightful links:
Higher Order Fun -- Game Design, Maths.
The Missing Concept -- Career/Hobby?
Neither Career Nor Hobby -- Career/Hobby?
Wario Land 4 Project -- Platformer design.

#23 Fiender

Fiender

GMC Member

• 912 posts

Posted 12 December 2008 - 01:26 PM

New Demo up today!

the mining ore sprite. Its from a game i havent played in forever... umm... shoot whats it called.. .hold on i have to look it up lol....

Okay its been 5 minutes and I found it... Runescape lol... I swear I even played it to check, that is the sprite from one of their Ores... they are the exact same :) I love the game though. one glitch I found: if u move ur space station, it makes new buttons to make cargo bays, but the old ones stay there, so i had 4 buttons to make a ship bay :P Other than that the game is freakin amazing.

I've changes all of the resource Icons, -_-

Another complaint: The research funding can go into the negatives, meaning that you can get 5 money a second if its set to -5. This also lowers the research gauge. This is probably considered an exploit. A final note: After building the ultramassive human ship out of heavy drydock, I had to press the arrow keys multiple times to make the camera go anywhere that mattered. This would not be a problem, but as I said, I have no middle mouse button, so I have to scroll to the target with the arrow keys.

I tried to fix it, it shouldn't happen anymore.

Oi. If the ship is only movingfrom one point to another, have it turn, then accelerate, rather than accelerate and turn at the same time. It makes things MUCH easier.

It works like that because I wanted the motion to be as realistic as possible, make the physics as if the ships were actually in space. I'll admit it is tiresome though, I'll speed up the turning for the next demo.
Posted Image

The Alliance progress:

#24 skull13

skull13

GMC Member

• 241 posts

Posted 12 December 2008 - 08:46 PM

Much improved. Please remove the middle mouse button requrement. PLEASE! OR ADD AN ALTERNATIVE!

#25 Fiender

Fiender

GMC Member

• 912 posts

Posted 19 December 2008 - 02:40 PM

Just posted a new demo! Check the first post for details.
Posted Image

The Alliance progress:

#26 dimitri

dimitri

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 248 posts

Posted 19 December 2008 - 08:27 PM

Awesome game. Seriously, I haven't had this much fun with a GM game for ages.

Some bad stuff I picked up on:

- Some of the ships don't shoot exactly at their targets - specifically the smaller fighter units - even after a substantial amount of shots have been fired.
- To get a decent economy going, you need a LOT of cargo ships. This causes a considerable amount of lag.
- The AI at the moment isn't really smart.
- Some of the buttons 'overlap' each other. They are also drawn under units sometimes making them hard to see.
- The units' firing range is much too big. Often I had to scroll across the map to see what my units were actually shooting at.
- You can't set a cargo ship to collect ore/humans from a specific planet.
- The bullets look a little bad. Use .PNGs if you don't want to use blending modes to make them look a little more like lasers/bullets.
- There should be a different way to make money other than to spam right click on the 'sell ore for money' icon. Perhaps a seperate slot type for doing so?
- The minimap doesn't show uncolonized planets.
- The bigger units were bumping off of little units.

Some good stuff I picked up on:
- The economy system is a good idea.
- The colonization of planets and 'slots' is also pretty cool.
- The orbitial defenses look awesome.
- The UI while a little buggy, is a great concept.
- The ship sprites look fantastic.
- Lots of pew pew laz0rs.

#27 Fiender

Fiender

GMC Member

• 912 posts

Posted 21 December 2008 - 09:33 PM

Awesome game. Seriously, I haven't had this much fun with a GM game for ages.

Some bad stuff I picked up on:

- Some of the ships don't shoot exactly at their targets - specifically the smaller fighter units - even after a substantial amount of shots have been fired.
- To get a decent economy going, you need a LOT of cargo ships. This causes a considerable amount of lag.
- The AI at the moment isn't really smart.
- Some of the buttons 'overlap' each other. They are also drawn under units sometimes making them hard to see.
- The units' firing range is much too big. Often I had to scroll across the map to see what my units were actually shooting at.
- You can't set a cargo ship to collect ore/humans from a specific planet.
- The bullets look a little bad. Use .PNGs if you don't want to use blending modes to make them look a little more like lasers/bullets.
- There should be a different way to make money other than to spam right click on the 'sell ore for money' icon. Perhaps a seperate slot type for doing so?
- The minimap doesn't show uncolonized planets.
- The bigger units were bumping off of little units.

Some good stuff I picked up on:
- The economy system is a good idea.
- The colonization of planets and 'slots' is also pretty cool.
- The orbitial defenses look awesome.
- The UI while a little buggy, is a great concept.
- The ship sprites look fantastic.
- Lots of pew pew laz0rs.

Thanks for your input. Um, you made a lot of good points, and I'm making changes you suggested, and will be in the next demo like: More efficient cargo ships which you can send to specific planets, Minimap showing planets, Better looking bullets, more direct aiming of weapons, and the moving system's more efficient.
Posted Image

The Alliance progress:

#28 WillShattuck

WillShattuck

GMC Member

• 33 posts

Posted 22 December 2008 - 01:25 AM

Hi Fiender. Good work so far. I'm going to first list the things I noticed and offer suggestions, and then end with what I liked about the 12-19-08 demo.

Here are some things I noticed in the tutorial:
  • Possibly mention in the first page of the tutorial that you use the arrow keys to move around the map.
  • tessertrial should be terrestrial
  • In the planet tutorial, the NEW SLOT button is actually on the RIGHT SIDE, but the tutorial mentions the left side. The left side is the mining button
  • In the cargo runs section the last paragraph says "To send the on Cargo Runs,...". The "the" should probably be "them" if I am reading this correctly
  • On the BUILD A CITY section, the Icon to click on doesn't say CITY it says POPULATION CENTER. So, either the tutorial or the icon should change so they are both the same.

Here are the good things I noticed:
  • Escape is captured. Thank You! ;)

EDIT: I'm still going through the game. I'll let you know when I have gone through the entire game. --Will

Edited by WillShattuck, 22 December 2008 - 01:25 AM.

#29 Fiender

Fiender

GMC Member

• 912 posts

Posted 24 December 2008 - 01:06 AM

Hi Fiender. Good work so far. I'm going to first list the things I noticed and offer suggestions, and then end with what I liked about the 12-19-08 demo.

Here are some things I noticed in the tutorial:

• Possibly mention in the first page of the tutorial that you use the arrow keys to move around the map.
  • tessertrial should be terrestrial
  • In the planet tutorial, the NEW SLOT button is actually on the RIGHT SIDE, but the tutorial mentions the left side. The left side is the mining button
  • In the cargo runs section the last paragraph says "To send the on Cargo Runs,...". The "the" should probably be "them" if I am reading this correctly
  • On the BUILD A CITY section, the Icon to click on doesn't say CITY it says POPULATION CENTER. So, either the tutorial or the icon should change so they are both the same.

Here are the good things I noticed:
  • Escape is captured. Thank You! :lol:

EDIT: I'm still going through the game. I'll let you know when I have gone through the entire game. --Will

Wow, I never noticed those. Thanks for the help, and don't forget to let me know how you feel with the whole game when your done :)
Posted Image

The Alliance progress:

#30 Fiender

Fiender

GMC Member

• 912 posts

Posted 27 December 2008 - 09:10 PM

Just added a new demo. The enemies can now build up their forces, and will not wait for you to attack.
Posted Image

The Alliance progress:

#31 Fiender

Fiender

GMC Member

• 912 posts

Posted 01 January 2009 - 05:59 PM

Here are some things that seem like good ideas for the game, but we could use some opinions on them:

"The Alliance" to do list:

*Rotatable View
*Zooming in and out
*Add 'retreat' to the enemy A.I.
*Customizable Starbases
*Single Player Campaign, Multiplayer, and Custom Skirmishes
*RPG leveling-up system
*Explosion Sequences
*Planet Reclamation replacing 'Barren' Worlds system
*Add Planet turrets to enemy A.I.
*Make building Icons not appear, if the player lacks the necessary resources

Neat Ideas:
*Ships requiring Ammo and Fuel
*Adding Ammo and Fuel efficieny slots to research
*Supply-docks that restore Ammo and Fuel
*Ammo as a resource that needs to be bought with either it's own station, through the market, a new thing for planets, or AOTA
*Fuel as a resource that needs to be gathered, bought through the market, a new thing for planets, or AOTA
Posted Image

The Alliance progress:

#32 skull13

skull13

GMC Member

• 241 posts

Posted 02 January 2009 - 10:53 PM

Isn't there anything you can do about the middle mouse issue? I know its a bit selfish, but really! I can't enjoy the game, fully, unless I get a new mouse!

EDIT: After playing a Human skirmish, I noticed several improvements. The beep was less headache inducing, the menu was fixed, and there was music. The turning issue is fixed, good for you (Note, the last build I played was build 12) There were some flaws

As a human, the game required no margin for error at the start. If you spent too much ore to get the mine, thats it! Its over! HQ should send some ore, as they do money, but only until you have a mine.

Furthermore, the game shifted from very difficult to too easy. The tiny clicking area for attacking stuff is very difficult to work with. On the other hand, if you don't build up a fighting force, you will be killed by only a few fighters. Arm the space station, lightly.

This last one seems inexcusable. After destroying the enemy space station, all enemy cargo ships went to 0,0. This implies that you set all unininitialized variables to zero. Have the enemy station set a global variable to one on creation, and zero right before death. If the variable is zero, tell the enemy not to even bother checking. Setting that checkbox is an accident waiting to happen. Believe me, its a big mistake that causes you to not be able to find your errors.

Other than that, great progress! Keep it up!

Edited by skull13, 02 January 2009 - 11:15 PM.

#33 skull13

skull13

GMC Member

• 241 posts

Posted 06 January 2009 - 08:38 PM

What the heck happened? Where are more updates? This game is teh uber-awesome!

#34 cata

cata

GMC Member

• 491 posts

Posted 06 January 2009 - 11:30 PM

Believe me, its a big mistake that causes you to not be able to find your errors.

That's why the second line in my signature is what it is. Just don't use it.
<If you are a Christian put this in your signature>

#35 Fiender

Fiender

GMC Member

• 912 posts

Posted 08 January 2009 - 02:15 PM

I just added the new demo, as well as some links to the older ones so people can check out the progression of the game, and signatures people can use to support the game.
Posted Image

The Alliance progress:

#36 Kajio

Kajio

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 2537 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 12 January 2009 - 01:34 AM

Since you played my game, I figured I'd return the favor :)

I only played the skirmish, but I did so for a while there, so I think I played the game for a considerable amount of time.

Pretty good, though it seemed rather slow paced. Increased money flow, but occasional assaults from the enemy would be good. I seemed to spend a lot of time building up money and then waiting for my fleet to be built, then waiting for it to reach the enemy. There was little time that I actually spent in battle.

I would've kept playing, but there didn't seem to be a save feature, and it was getting late. Then, all of a sudden, I see this little red dot wizzing across the map and heading for my base! I thought my light cruiser (which was inbound for the enemy) took care of it, so I watched the cruiser get crushed in its little suicide mission, and then I returned the view to my base. It was destroyed! All my defenses, including 5 interceptors and several planetary defences were destroyed. What did it? A single enemy fighter, which was now stuck in the top-left corner and labeled as a research factory.

That was one weird-ass bug!

Some suggestions for speeding up the fps:
  • Make the planet a single object, instead of many for each building slot. I'd use arrays for the variables
  • Deactivate enemies that aren't close to any of the player's ships, except for a few key ones
  • If you need them to be active, you can try changing them to much simpler objects that don't have AI
Graphic suggestions:
  • The fighter and interceptor graphics aren't like the one on the buttons
  • The view can be knocked out of the room by the shaking, and when you click on the mini-map
  • The menus and backgrounds need sprucing up. Multiple layers for the background would be nice.
Other suggestions:
  • I couldn't figure out a way to use the minimap to click where to look, and have units selected at the same time
  • WASD key movement would be a nice option
  • The tutorial's personality was nice, but it made the tutorial rather long-winded. I personally think it should be stream-lined.

I'll EDIT if I can think of anything else.

Edited by Kajio, 12 January 2009 - 01:36 AM.

#37 Fiender

Fiender

GMC Member

• 912 posts

Posted 12 January 2009 - 11:23 AM

Those are some really good suggestions, Kaijo. I'll see what I can do about the planets but I'm not certain I can pull it off.
Posted Image

The Alliance progress:

#38 king_of_llamas

king_of_llamas

KoL Games

• 1079 posts

Posted 12 January 2009 - 01:26 PM

How is this topic not flooded with comments? this game is really good and more people should try it. Probably one of the best gamemaker games around.

#39 skull13

skull13

GMC Member

• 241 posts

Posted 12 January 2009 - 07:22 PM

Please give an option to turn off middle mouse button controls?

Other than that, great job.

#40 Fiender

Fiender

GMC Member

• 912 posts

Posted 12 January 2009 - 08:51 PM

Please give an option to turn off middle mouse button controls?

Other than that, great job.

I'm sorry, but what feature really uses the Middle mouse button?
Just the one of the market options, and sending ships to remote locations on the map. Is it difficult to play the game without these?
Posted Image

The Alliance progress:

#41 skull13

skull13

GMC Member

• 241 posts

Posted 13 January 2009 - 04:22 PM

A bit. The ships deselect if you click ANYWHERE with the left mouse, INCLUDING on the minimap. Its not difficult, just very annoying to have to click 10x more that I would if I had a middle mouse button for the market.

The minimap issue means that I DO need to use the arrow keys to scroll, and if something REALLY important is occuring, THAT could be a problem. So, yes. It makes it a bit difficult.

#42 Fiender

Fiender

GMC Member

• 912 posts

Posted 14 January 2009 - 09:27 PM

A bit. The ships deselect if you click ANYWHERE with the left mouse, INCLUDING on the minimap. Its not difficult, just very annoying to have to click 10x more that I would if I had a middle mouse button for the market.

The minimap issue means that I DO need to use the arrow keys to scroll, and if something REALLY important is occuring, THAT could be a problem. So, yes. It makes it a bit difficult.

Ok, the next release will not have that flaw. ^_^
Posted Image

The Alliance progress:

#43 skull13

skull13

GMC Member

• 241 posts

Posted 14 January 2009 - 10:11 PM

Thank you. This means a lot to me.

Perhaps Shift Right-click?

#44 Kajio

Kajio

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 2537 posts

Posted 14 January 2009 - 10:28 PM

Oh, I remembered one thing was that it was possible to get -1 of something (money, ore, or people) probably because of some >, >= confusion or something.

#45 SAS Falcon

SAS Falcon

GMC Member

• 265 posts

Posted 15 January 2009 - 01:21 AM

I played it a little bit and so far im liking it, fairly large file size but i understand that it could and probably would be unavoidable (especially because you have seen mine)

some tips i would like to give for your game

1. could you possibly make it so you don't require to press the right button to scroll across the screen? i could give you a small piece of code i use for scrolling across the screen if you want.
2. i might be mistaken on this (tell me if im wrong) but i didnt really see any advanced selection system (example: grouping units or using shift to add units to the selection)
Out of cuiosity, how do you use your selection system? Do you use individual variables for units or a ds_list function? (i myself use the former)

all the critical stuff aside here is some positive comments
I thought the explosions were very nice (the shaking of the screen was a good emphasis)
Game runs very smoothly
Event driven music works well (although maybe a little bit more variety with the combat music would make it better)

overall im giving it a 7.5/10, nice work here

#46 Fiender

Fiender

GMC Member

• 912 posts

Posted 15 January 2009 - 10:17 AM

Thank you. This means a lot to me.

Perhaps Shift Right-click?

I was thinking Shift Left Click, but whatever ;)
There will be a substitute for the Middel-button

Oh, I remembered one thing was that it was possible to get -1 of something (money, ore, or people) probably because of some >, >= confusion or something.

I'll look into it. Do you remember what you bought to get that amount?

I played it a little bit and so far im liking it, fairly large file size but i understand that it could and probably would be unavoidable (especially because you have seen mine)

some tips i would like to give for your game

1. could you possibly make it so you don't require to press the right button to scroll across the screen? i could give you a small piece of code i use for scrolling across the screen if you want.
2. i might be mistaken on this (tell me if im wrong) but i didnt really see any advanced selection system (example: grouping units or using shift to add units to the selection)
Out of cuiosity, how do you use your selection system? Do you use individual variables for units or a ds_list function? (i myself use the former)

all the critical stuff aside here is some positive comments
I thought the explosions were very nice (the shaking of the screen was a good emphasis)
Game runs very smoothly
Event driven music works well (although maybe a little bit more variety with the combat music would make it better)

overall im giving it a 7.5/10, nice work here

1.Mouse Scrolling-I made it that way so the screen isn't always shifting around on the player.
2.I think I know what you mean. This game is (ultimately) built off of Fede-lasse's RTS engine, and there's a new version out that has this feature (Selecting/Deselecting ships one by one). I'll go check it out and try to put it into this game.

Thanks for the comments ;)
Posted Image

The Alliance progress:

#47 Kajio

Kajio

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 2537 posts

Posted 16 January 2009 - 02:13 AM

There were a few things I bought. I think it happens for everything, but I'm not sure.

#48 skull13

skull13

GMC Member

• 241 posts

Posted 16 January 2009 - 02:03 PM

I'm also pretty sure it happens for about half of the stuff. I figured it wasn't that important.

EXPLOIT: FREE MONIIZ CAN BE GAINED BY SETTING RESEARCH FUNDING TO NEGATIVE VALUES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! FIX IT!

#49 Fiender

Fiender

GMC Member

• 912 posts

Posted 16 January 2009 - 05:28 PM

I'm also pretty sure it happens for about half of the stuff. I figured it wasn't that important.

EXPLOIT: FREE MONIIZ CAN BE GAINED BY SETTING RESEARCH FUNDING TO NEGATIVE VALUES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! FIX IT!

I'm sorry, which demo is that in? I think that was an error in some of the earlier releases, but it shouldn't be happening in the newer demos.
Posted Image

The Alliance progress:

#50 skull13

skull13

GMC Member

• 241 posts

Posted 16 January 2009 - 06:54 PM

I don't know. it occurred to me that it could be done. Give me a minute.

Ah. I was wrong. it is no longer an issue (I think it was demo 12)

Carry on!