GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 274 posts

Posted 12 November 2008 - 12:06 PM

PINBALL PANDA

GM7
In a Window
3.3Mb

A game for Competition 04, it is a reinvention of Pinball, Peggle, Pachinko and Bagatelle. Some 30 full levels, and some nice bouncing balls. There are a number of powerups including rubber ducks, targets, magic pipes, multiball bricks, haunted house ghosts etc. etc. Above all else, players seem to think it is FUN. :P

Feature Set

- 30 Levels
- Online Highscores
- Power-Ups from Multiball to a level flooding Rubber Duck
- Skill-based play but with a chunk of luck needed to do well
- Convincing 2D Ball Physics
- Novel 'Just One More Ball' play mechanic
- Circus Theme

It features twice in the instructions you can't avoid, but it is worth saying again:

Hold down Right Mouse Button to Move the Cannon Faster!

Posted Image

It can be found at YoYo

Added 10/12 a direct download link to 64Digits of the full version with Online Highscores.

And just in case, it can also be found at box.net as a download.(previous version, offline highscores only)

Online Highscore Table can be viewed at http://pinballpanda.blogspot.com/

Hope you enjoy it.

Barry

Edited by barrya3, 11 January 2009 - 08:55 PM.

#2 Broxter

Broxter

Jack Brockley

• GMC Member
  • 540 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 12 November 2008 - 12:35 PM

I'm loving the visuals; they're really nice and well done. Though, if I was you, I'd use as much time as possible to make the game better, as you've still got just under a month to develop it until the deadline. Also, games that are released very early, generally, don't do well. Anyway, nice. :P

- Broxter

#3 Dangerous_Dave

Dangerous_Dave

GMC Member

• Global Moderators
  • 9450 posts
  • Version:Unknown

Posted 12 November 2008 - 12:44 PM

Though, if I was you, I'd use as much time as possible to make the game better, as you've still got just under a month to develop it until the deadline.

That's funny, the official website says: 52 days 22 hours 17 minutes 20 seconds left to submit your game

Anyway, the screenshot looks good. I'd play it if I had a windows machine :P

#4 weckar

weckar

Helping Hand

• GMC Member
  • 2616 posts

Posted 12 November 2008 - 03:20 PM

me like :P
the plot is a bit far fetched but the game is addicting :P

Edited by weckar, 12 November 2008 - 03:20 PM.

Just had my 10-year forum anniversary. Feeling - Even - Older.
Awards & Recognitions:
Spoiler

[I have a nasty habit of writing "it is" simply as "it". Please forgive me, I try to avoid it.]

#5 Broxter

Broxter

Jack Brockley

• GMC Member
  • 540 posts

Posted 12 November 2008 - 03:30 PM

Though, if I was you, I'd use as much time as possible to make the game better, as you've still got just under a month to develop it until the deadline.

That's funny, the official website says: 52 days 22 hours 17 minutes 20 seconds left to submit your game

My bad. Just under 2 months. :P

#6 Aertcz

Aertcz

Aleksander

• GMC Member
  • 1660 posts

Posted 13 November 2008 - 05:33 AM

Garden Gnome Carnage was one of the earliest games... and didn't it come in second?
Posted Image

#7 Fuzion_Creative

Fuzion_Creative

GMC Member

• 78 posts

Posted 13 November 2008 - 05:51 AM

This is a very nice game but i agree with Broxter, you should improve as much as you can. I think you should put in a couple more powerups, that would make it very entertaining.

#8 Broxter

Broxter

Jack Brockley

• GMC Member
  • 540 posts

Posted 13 November 2008 - 09:52 AM

Garden Gnome Carnage was one of the earliest games... and didn't it come in second?

I said "generally". ;)

#9 Lukearentz

Lukearentz

My Two Cents

• 2587 posts

Posted 13 November 2008 - 10:08 AM

Nice game, story lacks but I did like the simple play ;)
I have left the GMC, and my domain is no longer registered to me.
All previous links will not work, for any information/links please PM me, and I may be able to help you

#10 DMEISTER

DMEISTER

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 2692 posts

Posted 13 November 2008 - 10:14 AM

Also, games that are released very early, generally, don't do well. Anyway, nice. ;)

- Broxter

Depends on how you define 'do well', only 3 games can win so there will be alot that don't win so if not winning is classed as not doing well then of course there will lots of games that don't do well generally or otherwise. So it is a rather vague and one size fits all statement to make.

#11 Broxter

Broxter

Jack Brockley

• GMC Member
  • 540 posts

Posted 13 November 2008 - 03:28 PM

Also, games that are released very early, generally, don't do well. Anyway, nice. ;)

- Broxter

Depends on how you define 'do well', only 3 games can win so there will be alot that don't win so if not winning is classed as not doing well then of course there will lots of games that don't do well generally or otherwise. So it is a rather vague and one size fits all statement to make.

Good point. I guess someone will have to anlayse all of the results to come up with a reliable conclusion.

#12 PurpleFuzzy

PurpleFuzzy

Punk Rock Princess

• GMC Member
  • 1589 posts
  • Version:None

Posted 14 November 2008 - 12:29 AM

I don't see how this is a weak story. I think it's a brilliant interpretation of the theme.

The game is great. I like the ridiculousness of it. Very challenging. Good work.

-PF

#13 makerofthegames

makerofthegames

My last custom title

• GMC Member
  • 7629 posts

Posted 14 November 2008 - 12:44 AM

How does pinball and pandas involve saving the planet?

#14 coolist

coolist

The Coolist

• 913 posts

Posted 14 November 2008 - 01:18 AM

This game is great, (and I just played Peggle) but for some reason nothing seems to fit, and I don't think it will win. But I do love the game itself, its strangely fun.

#15 PurpleFuzzy

PurpleFuzzy

Punk Rock Princess

• GMC Member
  • 1589 posts

Posted 14 November 2008 - 01:23 AM

Why does everybody view the themes of these competitions so narrowly? A ringmaster has trapped endangered species in an evil circus and you have to free them. Endangered species are very relevant to the theme of saving the planet. makerofthegames if you had even played the game, then you might have seen how glaringly obvious it is.

One note for you, barrya3 you seem to have forgotten a way to go back the title screen from the help screen.

-PF

Edited by PurpleFuzzy, 14 November 2008 - 01:26 AM.

#16 barrya3

barrya3

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 274 posts

Posted 14 November 2008 - 03:42 PM

I don't see how this is a weak story. I think it's a brilliant interpretation of the theme.

The game is great. I like the ridiculousness of it. Very challenging. Good work.

-PF

Thanks to everyone for commenting. And you made me happy PurpleFuzzy -- ridiculousness was what I was aiming for. I went back and twitched a few things that were mostly cosmetic, but I hope makes the navigation clearer from the story page.

And I have enough of an ego to want the possible extra plays that entering the competitions gives, without so much of an ego that I expect to win. So I am doing this for the fun, and I'm not too bothered about acting strategically in timing its release.

I am really glad that people seem to like it so much, and particularly that the ball (I guess) seems to be behaving itself. Getting a bounce that felt right took a little while.

Thanks again -- it is great to have such positive comments.

Best,

Barry

#17 barrya3

barrya3

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 274 posts

Posted 22 November 2008 - 07:46 AM

Posted Image

I hope I don't offend anyone with a double post -- it has been a week in which I have added just a little more polish as a response to the comments and also added some new powerups and tables.

As I write this YoYo is down, so I have also added a download link to box.net in the first post.

Posted Image

Most people seem to think it really is fun, so I hope you will give it a whirl.

Barry

Edited by barrya3, 22 November 2008 - 10:27 AM.

#18 darkshado

darkshado

GMC Member

• 289 posts

Posted 22 November 2008 - 11:22 AM

I really enjoyed this game and I especially liked the spend your points to continue or bank them idea. I think there's a few things you could do to improve this game further:

* Fill the high score tables with some scores so that the player has something to aim for
* A new background. Gradients make a game look 'cheap' in my opinion.
* This type of game would really benefit from an online high score table

#19 makerofthegames

makerofthegames

My last custom title

• GMC Member
  • 7629 posts

Posted 22 November 2008 - 02:42 PM

makerofthegames if you had even played the game, then you might have seen how glaringly obvious it is.

Hey, I read the thing and I still don't understand how releasing animals helps instead of hurts..

But..That doesn't really matter does it? Cool game.

#20 barrya3

barrya3

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 274 posts

Posted 23 November 2008 - 07:47 AM

makerofthegames if you had even played the game, then you might have seen how glaringly obvious it is.

Hey, I read the thing and I still don't understand how releasing animals helps instead of hurts..

But..That doesn't really matter does it? Cool game.

I keep thinking that line in YoYo's Competition Page is just one huge get out clause -- "The most important thing is that the games are fun. Don’t get too carried away with the theme at the expense of gameplay."

So I sat down and actually read that IGDA document (which is good) and tried to make a casual game. The backstory ws supposed to be funny because it obviously was absurd. But an overall rating of 'cool game' suits me perfectly. :P

Darkshado -- implementing online highscores scares me. I googled around and forum searched for examples and tutorials and nothing really leaps out as a perfect, idiot-friendly walkthrough. I seem to remember YoYo throwing up the promise of an easy implementation a way back, but nothing happened. PhP? MySQL? I might just have to go talk to some programmers... Glad you enjoyed it and thanks for commenting, ot really is appreciated :P

Barry

[edit -- oops, forgot to say that I went back and filled the Highscore tsble as you suggested -- good idea. Don't know how popular my feeling of a baseline highscore will turn out to be, though). I'll put it up at YoYo in the next few days.]

Edited by barrya3, 23 November 2008 - 07:52 AM.

#21 -master-

-master-

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 196 posts

Posted 23 November 2008 - 07:39 PM

really love the game.
seems really polished and graphically i couldn't love it more.
the story is so great--im glad there are games out there not getting bogged down on crappy stories to try and look good.
(i might have rated on yoyo by accident--as i was playing it as like "this desrves a full rate" and then i clicked it and was like..."...shizz")

#22 barrya3

barrya3

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 274 posts

Posted 25 November 2008 - 10:24 PM

really love the game.
seems really polished and graphically i couldn't love it more.
the story is so great--im glad there are games out there not getting bogged down on crappy stories to try and look good.
(i might have rated on yoyo by accident--as i was playing it as like "this desrves a full rate" and then i clicked it and was like..."...shizz")

Thanks! :P

Rated low by accident, high by accident, or rated and now worried because you are going to enter? Ah, the perils of rating... Mind you, I appreciate everyone who rated, or more particularly, left a comment here. This is for fun, but feedback (of any kind) makes it all worth while.

Just as a heads up, the YoYo version (since yesterday, will demand a reload):

More levels
Stacked Highscore (thanks -master-)
Extra pin type
Special GM specific silly bonus object in the latter levels
No more caught bounce on the vertical bar
lowered timer on the self explode if it got caught (which almost never never happens, honest)
Bank points when quitting
More shiny

All in all better, and still fun.

Thanks again, and particularly to Coolist, who said "This game is great, (and I just played Peggle) " -- high compliment indeed. :P

#23 laitch

laitch

GMC Member

• 121 posts

Posted 26 November 2008 - 10:55 AM

Very good game... it managed to keep me entertained right to the end!

#24 barrya3

barrya3

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 274 posts

Posted 28 November 2008 - 06:07 PM

Very good game... it managed to keep me entertained right to the end!

I'm glad you liked it -- getting people to the end still entertained feels like a major achievement of any game. :lol:

#25 marcus33cz

marcus33cz

GMC Member

• 142 posts

Posted 28 November 2008 - 06:52 PM

It's really nice, I liked the graphics, for some reason it reminded me old games like RTC and Zoo tycoon. :lol:

#26 barrya3

barrya3

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 274 posts

Posted 30 November 2008 - 07:10 AM

It's really nice, I liked the graphics, for some reason it reminded me old games like RTC and Zoo tycoon. ^_^

Thanks -- the pixel art started off as placeholder but I grew to like it (even the cross-eyed cheetah). It has started to get the 'borefest' kind of remarks that YoYo seems to attract if it isn't a gore filled shooter, but I am pretty pleased.

#27 barrya3

barrya3

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 274 posts

Posted 03 December 2008 - 07:56 AM

As Darkshado, and a number of the commenters at YoYo, suggested I have added an Online Highscore table. Hopefully this is the last time I'll update, unless there is a major glitch I can't see.

So come and compete with players around the world ina quest to save the world by bouncing green balls off the heads of endangered species! You know it makes sense...

Barry

#28 Tobias(NL)

Tobias(NL)

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 896 posts

Posted 04 December 2008 - 11:02 AM

hehe pretty nice, altough I would like to see a charging power bar and stuff, also the online highscores weren't working correctly (i think)
it's really similar to peggle deluxe, a bit different but the same concept.
Tobias

Posted Image
-Click the image for both the download & topic
Visit my homepage [Aquarel Games.tk]

#29 barrya3

barrya3

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 274 posts

Posted 06 December 2008 - 02:26 PM

hehe pretty nice, altough I would like to see a charging power bar and stuff, also the online highscores weren't working correctly (i think)
it's really similar to peggle deluxe, a bit different but the same concept.
Tobias

Thanks Tobias(NL), I'm glad you liked it -- the online highscores seem to be pretty robust so far, so apologies if they weren't working for you. I went back to play Peggle after I completed it, but Pinball Pand was less like Peggle than I thought it might be. Mind you, I am happy to acknowledge the influence. :blink:

#30 PurpleFuzzy

PurpleFuzzy

Punk Rock Princess

• GMC Member
  • 1589 posts

Posted 07 December 2008 - 01:06 AM

Yes! Finally a cagematch nomination. :)
Good luck, good sir.

-PF

#31 Insan1ty

Insan1ty

d2d Games Programmer

• 203 posts

Posted 15 December 2008 - 02:06 AM

Very nice, fun game. keep up the great work!

#32 barrya3

barrya3

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 274 posts

Posted 16 December 2008 - 07:04 AM

Very nice, fun game. keep up the great work!

Thanks Insan1ty. I shall try :blink:

And thanks for the support PurpleFuzzy -- winning a cagematch makes this the most successful game I have made, I think. ;)

#33 Andrew Brophy

Andrew Brophy

Andrew Brophy

• GMC Member
  • 668 posts

Posted 20 December 2008 - 05:14 PM

To be honest, I hate the story, but the gameplay itself is ridiculously fun. Good luck with the Cage Match!

#34 Chor

Chor

GMC Member

• 898 posts

Posted 20 December 2008 - 08:43 PM

The perfect game.
10/10
Graphics were great, gameplay was excellent.
Maybe add one or two more songs so the music will repeat less.

I couldn't stop playing it until finishing it!
And the story - this is an original idea, instead of all space games which you have to save earth.

Amazing!
And perfect again.

#35 barrya3

barrya3

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 274 posts

Posted 21 December 2008 - 11:18 PM

The perfect game.
10/10
Graphics were great, gameplay was excellent.
Maybe add one or two more songs so the music will repeat less.

I couldn't stop playing it until finishing it!
And the story - this is an original idea, instead of all space games which you have to save earth.

Amazing!
And perfect again.

Cheers Chor -- a lovely review, and I am glad people are still enjoying it. I think AndrewAP has a point, though, I don't think I'll be selling the story as a Hollywood screenplay anytime soon. ;)

It is up against the third shooter in a row in the Cage Match, so I don't hold out much hope, but thanks to everyone who voted for Pinball Panda over the last three weeks. ;)

#36 barrya3

barrya3

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 274 posts

Posted 24 December 2008 - 10:13 AM

actually only played Peggle AFTER playing this, and I think you have captured (whether purposely or coincidentally) some key gameplay elements that make Peggle such a great casual game. Hopefully, after the competition, you will continue to update this and add more content, such as Peggle's 2 player mode. I mucked around with a basic engine for this after playing, and getting that ball to bounce properly and not get stuck is a real pain, so congratulations on a technical level also.

Overall, good luck for the comp, i'm sure it will do very well (I'm thinking Honourable Mention or higher :D).

Regards,
~True Valhalla

Thanks True Valhalla. I was thinking I might knock up a basic Pachinko example after the new year showing how I fudged a few things to get the ball to behave (more or less) as intended. I figure there are more elegant solutions than what I came up with, but it seems to do the job. :D

Thanks for the good luck wishes, and thanks to everyone who voted for Pinball Panda in the Cage Match. A break will probably do me good before I decide to update this, but I wonder if anyone has any suggestions beyond two player mode? I have three more powerups that I fancy including, but this was actually supposed to have been done and dusted back when it got first released. I'll see if I have any enthusiasm when the YoYo competition closes.

Thanks again, everyone who commented, voted or played.

Barry

#37 Chor

Chor

GMC Member

• 898 posts

Posted 27 December 2008 - 08:23 PM

Since I really liked the game, I've made a small support banner. Here it is:
Posted Image
[url="http://www.yoyogames.com/games/show/59739"][img]http://img216.imageshack.us/img216/3715/pinballpanda2jk3.png[/img][/url]

#38 banov

banov

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1172 posts

Posted 28 December 2008 - 02:07 AM

From cage match topic:

Pinball Panda has good use of the built-in particle effects and was centered around a fresh game mechanic, but lost points with me because of its presentation. The text sprites game sprites and background images all felt a little incongruous, with some images sharp and clear and others blurred with smooth edges. The game felt akin to an authentic carnival game, but the problem is I don't really like carnival games. I felt a game like this would have been better as a frenetic, energized arcade game or something.

#39 barrya3

barrya3

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 274 posts

Posted 29 December 2008 - 10:32 AM

From cage match topic:

Pinball Panda has good use of the built-in particle effects and was centered around a fresh game mechanic, but lost points with me because of its presentation. The text sprites game sprites and background images all felt a little incongruous, with some images sharp and clear and others blurred with smooth edges. The game felt akin to an authentic carnival game, but the problem is I don't really like carnival games. I felt a game like this would have been better as a frenetic, energized arcade game or something.

Fair enough -- I'm still happy more or less that I made a nice casual game, and you are right -- the graphics for the objects are all drawn pixel art whereas the text is photoshopped. I sort of like the cheesiness of the whole effect, though. -_-

And thanks, Chor, an honour indeed.

#40 barrya3

barrya3

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 274 posts

Posted 11 January 2009 - 08:40 PM

Hi all,

I have been thinking about how popular this proved to be (400+ plays at YoYo, 3 CageMatch victories, a massive 2.7/5 rating :) ) and have more or less inevitably thinking about a sequel. I just wondered if anyone has any suggestions about what comes next? I don't want to change anything substantial about why it works (and I like the balance between luck and skill, so sorry if you think it is too easy), but I have been considering both a resize and a power bar. It would be roughly like this (800x600, rather than 480x640):

Posted Image

Posted Image

If you have played and have any ideas please let me know. I am pretty convinced it works as a game, but would like to think about where to go next.

I'll put a full topic in the WIP forum [Now in GMC WIP Forum], but there are the first 10 or so levels with a few of the things I am thinking of adding at a Pinball Panda 2 topic at YoYo.

Pinball Panda 2 at YoYo

Cheers,

Barry

Edited by barrya3, 15 January 2009 - 09:23 PM.