• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 TwilightHero

TwilightHero

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 69 posts

Posted 06 November 2008 - 03:57 AM

This is a recreation of the old Digimon virtual pet electronics, except for the pc and in color.

-Made with Game Maker 5.3, works on most windows systems
-Almost 100 different Digimon
-From Egg to Mega Level
-Online Battles via IP addresses
-Color

Name: Digimon V-Pet V1.2
Category: Virtual Pet
Size: 1.9MB (Zip 0.9MB)
Version: Game Maker 5.3
Vista Compatible: Yes
Resolution: 512x512
Changes Resolution: Yes (In multiples of 128)
Mulitplayer: Yes

Zip Download Link:
V1.2BETA 926.1KB Zip File: http://www.box.net/shared/h38ua0f45q
V1.1 924.4KB Zip File: http://www.box.net/shared/a3gb8t3z8p

Seperate Files Download Links:
V1.2BETA 1.9MB File: http://www.box.net/shared/j6zer6qr7t
V1.1 1.9MB File: http://www.box.net/shared/kngs8mi6cz
42.0KB 39dll.dll (used for multiplayer battling): http://www.box.net/shared/v9ycke17j4
9.5KB GMalwaysontop.dll (used to stay on top of all windows): http://www.box.net/shared/ufi9r14pr6

Screenshots:
Posted Image

Feedback is greatly appreciated. Please let me know of any suggestions for the game or any errors you may encounter.

A DEMO of Version 2.0 can be found here:
http://gmc.yoyogames...1

Version 1.2BETA Updates:
-Digivolution errors fixed
-Flickering icon errors fixed
-Menu after death
-Autosaving disabled, now uses manual saving
-Gamespeed disabled

Version 1.1 Updates:
- Fixed training and battling mouse-use
- Fixed happiness difficulty
- Hopefully fixed digivolution problem
- New load and same system
- New Always On Top feature

Edited by TwilightHero, 04 October 2010 - 11:51 PM.

#2 jakman4242

jakman4242

Vertical Shmup Junkie

• 3222 posts

Posted 06 November 2008 - 05:00 AM

I thought they were called Tamagachi's... :mellow:

#3 TwilightHero

TwilightHero

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 69 posts

Posted 06 November 2008 - 05:14 AM

I thought they were called Tamagachi's... :mellow:

Well, haha, there were Tamagotchi's too, but Digimon originated from the DigiMon Virtual Pet devices. They were similar to Tamagotchi's, but they could battle too, :) And thus, the start of Digimon.

#4 lasttea999

lasttea999

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 290 posts

Posted 06 November 2008 - 05:39 AM

I used to love Digimon! I can't believe no one thought of this before!
It would be cool if you sort of broke the mold and, using your vast GM capabilities, make more in-game minigames for the digimon!

Edited by lasttea999, 06 November 2008 - 05:39 AM.

#5 TwilightHero

TwilightHero

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 69 posts

Posted 06 November 2008 - 05:54 AM

I used to love Digimon! I can't believe no one thought of this before!
It would be cool if you sort of broke the mold and, using your vast GM capabilities, make more in-game minigames for the digimon!

Yes, there's so many capabilities using game maker. Right now I just made the basics. Perhaps I'll make another version with many new features. :mellow:

#6 lasttea999

lasttea999

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 290 posts

Posted 06 November 2008 - 07:25 AM

Yes, there's so many capabilities using game maker. Right now I just made the basics. Perhaps I'll make another version with many new features.

DO IT
If you do, I'll be willing to help! Provided my schedule allows it...
I wonder if many people remember or know about Digimon? Didn't it sort of fade out a few years ago?

#7 peppy_95

peppy_95

GMC Member

• 32 posts

Posted 06 November 2008 - 09:18 AM

This is a very good concept but it could be improved. I think it might be better for opening your file using the get_open_filename function. Also, mabye you could make different backgrounds or something. More sounds would be nice and it looks as if the window is bigger than the room is making it look stretched and not as nice. Overall I think it's pretty good.

Can you tell me how long it takes for the digimon to evolve and are the digimons real ones or made up?

#8 TwilightHero

TwilightHero

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 69 posts

Posted 06 November 2008 - 02:04 PM

DO IT
If you do, I'll be willing to help! Provided my schedule allows it...
I wonder if many people remember or know about Digimon? Didn't it sort of fade out a few years ago?

Well, believe it or not, there are still many people who love Digimon. And I noticed that quite a few have been looking for this kind of game for a long time. People have tried recreating it, but it seems like they never finish it. I hope everyone enjoys what I've made. :mellow:

This is a very good concept but it could be improved. I think it might be better for opening your file using the get_open_filename function. Also, mabye you could make different backgrounds or something. More sounds would be nice and it looks as if the window is bigger than the room is making it look stretched and not as nice. Overall I think it's pretty good.

Thanks, and oops, I didn't even know about the get_open_filename function, haha... Yeah, it's real quiet, and the starting scale it 128 times 4 (which you can change in the options by pressing the S key).

Can you tell me how long it takes for the digimon to evolve and are the digimons real ones or made up?

Yes, they are the real Digimon. It takes about 15-30-60-150-300-600minutes for each corresponding level.

#9 jsmithLMSL

jsmithLMSL

Katamari Devotee

• GMC Member
  • 1328 posts

Posted 06 November 2008 - 02:34 PM

I played last night. I was never into the Dig / virtual pet things so I became bored pretty quick and shut it down. BUT, that is just me. As far as the idea behind growing a virtual pet and being able to battle with it and such is very cool; it's about time a virtual pet program of some type was created, so for that I say Good Job.

The graphics could be a little better and the movement of the creature was a little quirky. When I dropped food, it tended to rush for it but once it was right around the same x cordinate or y cordinate as the food, it would violently shake back and forth until the chasing event was over. That's the only real "problem" I saw. Anyhow, pretty cool idea.

#10 TwilightHero

TwilightHero

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 69 posts

Posted 06 November 2008 - 07:22 PM

I played last night. I was never into the Dig / virtual pet things so I became bored pretty quick and shut it down. BUT, that is just me. As far as the idea behind growing a virtual pet and being able to battle with it and such is very cool; it's about time a virtual pet program of some type was created, so for that I say Good Job.

The graphics could be a little better and the movement of the creature was a little quirky. When I dropped food, it tended to rush for it but once it was right around the same x cordinate or y cordinate as the food, it would violently shake back and forth until the chasing event was over. That's the only real "problem" I saw. Anyhow, pretty cool idea.

Well, I could have fixed the "violent shaking", but I decided to keep it so it would give the impression of it eating the food.

#11 Bitsoft

Bitsoft

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 429 posts
  • Version:Unknown

Posted 19 January 2009 - 11:40 AM

I wonder that too. I still play Digimon World 2-4 over and over. I'll try out after a new release.

#12 turtlefan

turtlefan

Hockey Goalie

• 264 posts

Posted 22 January 2009 - 04:27 PM

Cool, I still have my two original Digomon pets. They were so cool. Your game is pretty good looking and really reminds me of the real thing. Good job! My only suggestion would be to see if you can snap it to the windows sidebar on vista maybe, that would be cool if that is even possible.

#13 badbufon

badbufon

GMC Member

• 1 posts

Posted 25 January 2009 - 03:57 AM

i like this game very much, but, some kind of bug crash my game

Posted Image

everything works fine, but, after a 1yr, in a sleep, stats windows icon began to show up constantly and after a secs, displays the stats and you cant go back. (well one time i can go back, but only to see Zzz and no digimon (oh yeah, only the light button works, cool! lol)

im playing in a Pentium 3, 733 mhz, win XP sp 3, and... and I do not know what other information you need

[edit : I forgot to say i was playing with the machine and insect eggs, i'll make a third one (dinosaur) just to test]
[edit 2 : is not a egg issue, this one bug me too x_x, i want to play... badly]
[edit 3 : http://rapidshare.co...Rivalmon.dgp1-1 my save, a cuple of mins before the crash]

Ps: you can use some gba rips (or from another Digimon game)? and a cool background?,
it would be amazing if you can

((sorry for my english, im not a native speaker x_X))

Edited by badbufon, 25 January 2009 - 10:36 AM.

#14 Digitalboy

Digitalboy

GMC Member

• 2 posts

Posted 28 January 2009 - 12:01 PM

I played it and it was very good i hope you add new features to it.like battle vs cpu.better sprites.mini games for increasing happiness and etc..

keep it up :D

EDIT:i have the same bug as badbufon :P

Edited by Digitalboy, 30 January 2009 - 11:56 AM.

#15 jukaz

jukaz

GMC Member

• 1 posts

Posted 02 February 2009 - 05:30 PM

Anyone managed to get the battle system working?
I always get the error msg saying "Failed to listen to port.Please load the game and try again".

thanx~~ :D

#16 evilangelj

evilangelj

GMC Member

• 1 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 03:49 PM

Yea I have the same problem as Jukaz, also does your digimon have to battle another to get past champion stage? or is it purely based on how well you raised it?

#17 iHuntMonsters

iHuntMonsters

GMC Member

• 28 posts

Posted 15 March 2009 - 01:30 AM

OMG! I used to have the original DigiMon virtual pet thingy me and my brother loved them! :P I would be way more than willing to help you on this!

#18 4cats3

4cats3

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 292 posts

Posted 15 March 2009 - 02:24 AM

Fun. I suggest time moves faster though. Like a fastforward button or something.:P

#19 edy666

edy666

GMC Member

• 6 posts

Posted 20 April 2009 - 03:21 AM

nice game can hardly wait for the next update whenever I finish the fight ta give a message error or the victory remains 0

but a like vary much this game nice job

#20 Foxx

Foxx

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 886 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 21 April 2009 - 04:36 AM

as you are probarly not working on this any more could you give me the source if you feel like it

#21 edy666

edy666

GMC Member

• 6 posts

Posted 23 April 2009 - 07:41 PM

dont give up!!!!!!

#22 annamage

annamage

GMC Member

• 1 posts

Posted 26 April 2009 - 10:36 PM

I understand that you must've heard this a bunch of times, but I haven't been able to battle. I can't host any battles; a message pops up reading "Failed to listen on port. Please load game and try again."
When I attempt to join, it gives me an IP code (which I assume is my own) and, after attempting, it says they cannot connect to the host.
The second situation is more understandable, I obviously can't connect to myself as a host if I can't boot up the fight as a host. But, I really don't know how to deal with the first matter. If anyone else that has the game can help me out or if you could give me a help, Twilight, I'd be very thankful. I'm a digimon nerd and would love to play the game at least once more.

#23 TwilightHero

TwilightHero

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 69 posts

Posted 27 April 2009 - 06:51 PM

I understand that you must've heard this a bunch of times, but I haven't been able to battle. I can't host any battles; a message pops up reading "Failed to listen on port. Please load game and try again."
When I attempt to join, it gives me an IP code (which I assume is my own) and, after attempting, it says they cannot connect to the host.
The second situation is more understandable, I obviously can't connect to myself as a host if I can't boot up the fight as a host. But, I really don't know how to deal with the first matter. If anyone else that has the game can help me out or if you could give me a help, Twilight, I'd be very thankful. I'm a digimon nerd and would love to play the game at least once more.

I am sorry that you are having trouble with the battle system. I just tested it on my laptop and it worked for me. I'm using Vista and when I go to host, Vista pops up a window asking to unblock it, and when I unblock it, the game dies (unfortunately Vista likes to kill game maker when it hosts). So I just load it up again and click host and this time it goes to the waiting room. Then on another game I click join and press enter to the ip address displayed (which connects to your own computer). Then both windows have a "READY!" message pop up and then the battle begins.

If it gives you a "failed to listen to port" message then it may be getting blocked by a firewall. Either try again which usually works, or try unblocking the game. I'm sorry that the battle system has been so difficult, :)

#24 edy666

edy666

GMC Member

• 6 posts

Posted 30 April 2009 - 08:15 PM

Hello I like your game vary much I think its very good but after the battle over appears a message of Error and the number of victories remains 0 but the fight itself is vary good all of my friends here in brazil are playing and we are waiting for more updates

Edited by edy666, 30 April 2009 - 08:16 PM.

#25 TwilightHero

TwilightHero

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 69 posts

Posted 06 May 2009 - 04:10 AM

Hello I like your game vary much I think its very good but after the battle over appears a message of Error and the number of victories remains 0 but the fight itself is vary good all of my friends here in brazil are playing and we are waiting for more updates

I'm glad you and your friends are enjoying the game. I hope to work more on it soon, probably in 2 weeks when I get to go on summer break from college. ;)

I'll look more into the battle system and try to fix any errors, including the problem you (edy666) have with the victory count.

However, I'll most likely be moving on from Version 1 to Version 2. A demo of the new graphics is posted here (choose dino egg only for now):
http://gmc.yoyogames...howtopic=429921

I plan on redesigning the entire training system and battle system, so if anyone has any ideas, let me know.

#26 klain

klain

GMC Member

• 1 posts

Posted 30 April 2010 - 04:30 PM

Hi anyone,
I found this post by chance, lookin for information to make a game similar to bitefigh but includin the taming and care.
The first idea i have was this tamagotchi and adding a combat sistem, a inventory..., and then i found this.
Cand you send me your email to share ideas?

Thanks

Edited by klain, 30 April 2010 - 04:31 PM.

#27 TwilightHero

TwilightHero

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 69 posts

Posted 26 September 2010 - 06:24 PM

Ok the Digimon V-Pet Version 2.0 Alpha Demo is now up for all of those who are interested.

http://gmc.yoyogames...1

#28 safwan_nirvana

safwan_nirvana

GMC Member

• 1 posts

Posted 11 April 2011 - 09:03 AM

i cant play multiplayer battle

#29 bikee4

bikee4

GMC Member

• 1 posts

Posted 19 July 2011 - 02:20 PM

hi the same thing happens to me when i try the battle system eg
(join) unable to connect to host
(host) failed to listen on port. please load the game and try again

#30 Minimuffin

Minimuffin

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 58 posts
  • Version:GM8.1

Posted 22 August 2011 - 12:30 PM

I remember having two of those old Digimon handheld electronic games when I was in elementary school, the little rectangular boxes that you could connect to other Digimon games and do battle with other pets. It was awesomez0rz.

I'm glad to see somebody did a remake of this. :)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users