Xbox Live Type Achievements
By OCGaming (Osbornecreations)

Size:
60kb(Zip)
Game Maker Version:
:) (Registered)

Posted Image

Info:

Achievements add that little extra to your game.. that tiny bit of replay value that makes the player play the game just to get to that extra high spot where they cant reach, just
to hear the satisfaction of hearing that little bleep noise and having a message pop up. It make seem small to you but to the player, its an achievement. So, low and behold, I whipped
up an achievement engine. This is the basic structure that you can work upon to get your very own achievement system in your game! It includes:

*Achievement Fading
*Customisable Icon
*Automatic length to your ahievement text
*Achievement Noise
*Creation effect
*Fixed position on screen

Usage:

To start, simply press the space bar and type in an achievement.. please note you dont have to type 'Achievement Unlocked' or anything, it does that for you, just type in something like 'Double Kill!' or 'Hax!' to see it appear as an achievement. The achievement will automatically scale itself to the text that you write, although making it too long makes it look a tad ugly, so try to keep it to about 3 to 4 words maximum.

Please note, when using this, you WILL have to do all the coding yourself which leads to the creation of the achievement. Ive only made the appearance of it all and such, you will have to code the double kill or whatever.

I have commented on everything for you to see how it works.

Credits:

Credit would be nice, but not needed.. however i'd love to hear from anyone who is using this in their projects! =D

Download:
Click Here!

Because some people are having trouble understanding how it would work in a game,
I have coded a quick example. I've also included a version that uses enryption so it protects
the file from people trying to cheat.

Example:

Example With Encryption
(Using Ultracrypt dll)

Id appreciate your input if your going to download it. Noone likes leechers..

#2 Billyro

Billyro

GMC Member

• 57 posts

Posted 05 November 2008 - 08:58 AM

its cool :)

#3 osbornecreations

osbornecreations

GMC Member

• 460 posts

Posted 05 November 2008 - 09:08 AM

Update: I've made a high quality ahievement sound effect for those who might be selling their games and dont want to be busted. or just prefer having their own sound. its included in the zip file.

#4 death-droid

death-droid

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 2600 posts

Posted 05 November 2008 - 10:14 AM

Looks awesome good job.
Something that would help is if you would of actually put them all in separate scripts(i've done it myself)
And also maybe some more support for people like storing the achievements.

Edited by death-droid, 05 November 2008 - 10:50 AM.

Posted Image

#5 osbornecreations

osbornecreations

GMC Member

• 460 posts

Posted 05 November 2008 - 11:31 AM

i left that part to the game designers, as there are more than 1 way to achieve it, such as registry, saves files and such. I merely made this as a base to the achievements popping up. As I said in my first post, you would have to create the achievements yourself. itd be really easy to do. just have a room full of objects and have it so when you complete an achievement, it creates a file called 'Dubkill.ach' or something, and then in the objects create event if checks if 'Dubkill.ach' exists, and if it does, it displays itself. you can then save the file in a folder called 'Achievements' in your game. pretty simple. or, you can make it write to the registry and checks for the key there. its your call.

#6 bob_the_flying_monkey

bob_the_flying_monkey

GMC Member

• 85 posts

Posted 06 November 2008 - 02:49 AM

Awesome!
On a scale from 1 to 10, you, are 11

#7 RamboFox

RamboFox

Tainted Fortune

• 992 posts

Posted 06 November 2008 - 04:08 AM

Looks and sounds slick. Great job!

#8 jakman4242

jakman4242

Vertical Shmup Junkie

• 3222 posts

Posted 06 November 2008 - 05:22 AM

So... It's just the graphics? Which were poorly made in themselves. Gradients and built-in GM effects really aren't something I'd want to incorporate into my game to make my game feel like an Xbox game.

Have you made no system to track achievements? No system to even record points? You mentioned we must do things for ourselves, but to what extent? I don't think anyone would really want to use an empty system in their games.
-- My blog. --

#9 RamboFox

RamboFox

Tainted Fortune

• 992 posts

Posted 06 November 2008 - 06:54 AM

So... It's just the graphics? Which were poorly made in themselves. Gradients and built-in GM effects really aren't something I'd want to incorporate into my game to make my game feel like an Xbox game.

Have you made no system to track achievements? No system to even record points? You mentioned we must do things for ourselves, but to what extent? I don't think anyone would really want to use an empty system in their games.

The point of this system is to show that you have made an acheivment. Not to actually show how to make the acheivment work, thats for you to code. ;P

#10 osbornecreations

osbornecreations

GMC Member

• 460 posts

Posted 06 November 2008 - 02:50 PM

As I said, they are customizable, theres nothing stopping you from editing it. And why would I code a whole achievements system for your games when I have no idea how your games work at all?

The ahievements part itself it crazily easy to do, so its either your really lazy and dont want to code it, or you dont actually know how. I am showing people how to make achievements pop up that are automated to the text that you set for it, so you can make it pop up time and time again with different text. This saves time for the user. Maybe you should be a little grateful when people post open source things for you to use instead of bashing them. But seeing as your skill obviously lacks in the GML area, I might be able to whip up a quick example of it in use.

@bob_the_flying_monkey, Thanks a lot, much appreciated :mellow:

@RamboFox, Thank you for explaining.

EDIT- okay, i added a tiny bit extra onto the achievement effect, it looks pretty cool :) and ive also added an example for you guys to see how it would work in a full game!

Edited by osbornecreations, 06 November 2008 - 03:50 PM.

#11 death-droid

death-droid

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 2600 posts

Posted 06 November 2008 - 11:45 PM

Example link is dead

The key you provided for file download was invalid. This is usually caused because the file is no longer stored on Mediafire. This occurs when the file is removed by the originating user or Mediafire.

Posted Image

#12 osbornecreations

osbornecreations

GMC Member

• 460 posts

Posted 06 November 2008 - 11:54 PM

link back up :P

#13 jakman4242

jakman4242

Vertical Shmup Junkie

• 3222 posts

Posted 10 November 2008 - 05:55 AM

But seeing as your skill obviously lacks in the GML area, I might be able to whip up a quick example of it in use.

Wow, seriously? Because I criticize you for only making a simple graphic effect, you think I'm bad a bad programmer?(if you really think I am, then look here, all code written by me.)

I think it's just pointless to make such a simple system to do something that is so easy to do on your own, which is to tell someone they did something. Your way of doing this just looks like the way it's done on an Xbox.

Now, for the systems. I'm not telling you to make the achievements in my game achievable for me, I'm asking you to make a backbone for your system. Well, not asking you, but merely asking why you didn't think of doing so. For instance, ever think of making an actual system for this? You could have achievement slots stored in a 2D array or a data structure, with the name of the achievement, the points given, and a boolean value to tell whether it's already been activated. You could create a script to activate a achievement by giving the index of the achievement(or, if you want to be user-friendly, searching through the array/data structure for a given string.) activating it, and giving the points for some variable you've created to track your points earned.

Eh, that was merely an overwritten example of something you could do to make this a working idea. But, you get where I'm going. I hope.
-- My blog. --

#14 osbornecreations

osbornecreations

GMC Member

• 460 posts

Posted 10 November 2008 - 07:15 AM

Now, for the systems. I'm not telling you to make the achievements in my game achievable for me, I'm asking you to make a backbone for your system. Well, not asking you, but merely asking why you didn't think of doing so. For instance, ever think of making an actual system for this? You could have achievement slots stored in a 2D array or a data structure, with the name of the achievement, the points given, and a boolean value to tell whether it's already been activated. You could create a script to activate a achievement by giving the index of the achievement(or, if you want to be user-friendly, searching through the array/data structure for a given string.) activating it, and giving the points for some variable you've created to track your points earned.

The achievement example i have coded works in a pretty much safe way. all you could do is add a key called 'gamerscore' and add the points to that, and plus the gamerscore when you add the achievement.. just add it in the text "Unlocked: Double kill (20G)" or something. Little things like that can be added on easy really. The example I have included for people good enough for people to use. If they want to expand upon it, then its their choice.
Also, the reason why I did this way to make it look like the Xbox styled achievements. It's all in the title. people can do this their own way but I have shown people how to make it look like the ones from Xbox.. well not exactly like it but in the same style.

#15 Ikarugos

Ikarugos

GMC Member

• 370 posts

Posted 10 November 2008 - 09:15 AM

I really liked this, it was really what I was after, for my game.
Only my game is in 3D, so I would have to convert the whole thing using ortho.
Have you considered doing one for 3D games? I would definately find use for it then.

Anyway, I loved it. Thanks.:lol:

#16 Mediacity

Mediacity

GMC Member

• 244 posts

Posted 10 November 2008 - 09:37 AM

I would consider this for maybe fanboy games, but not much to it. Another award system is being developed that allows achievement storage and retrieve, and works around all games with its own style.

Consider changing the product from this project or switching in February.

#17 death-droid

death-droid

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 2600 posts

Posted 10 November 2008 - 10:27 AM

Mediacity i could add that to his but then i need a mysql server thats all not much really.

Posted Image

#18 osbornecreations

osbornecreations

GMC Member

• 460 posts

Posted 10 November 2008 - 01:32 PM

Well what would be the best way to make a system like this? maybe it could keep a track of your gamertag in the registry and your current gamerscore. it then updates your gamerscore from the registry to a website using mysql or php.. it could be achieveable, but im pretty bad at online coding.

Have you considered doing one for 3D games? I would definately find use for it then.

Anyway, I loved it. Thanks.smile.gif

im glad you liked it :lol: im pretty bad at 3d coding too.. i only make 2d games.. i cant seem to get a hang of it >_<

Edited by osbornecreations, 10 November 2008 - 01:34 PM.

#19 Ikarugos

Ikarugos

GMC Member

• 370 posts

Posted 10 November 2008 - 08:29 PM

Well what would be the best way to make a system like this? maybe it could keep a track of your gamertag in the registry and your current gamerscore. it then updates your gamerscore from the registry to a website using mysql or php.. it could be achieveable, but im pretty bad at online coding.

im glad you liked it :lol: im pretty bad at 3d coding too.. i only make 2d games.. i cant seem to get a hang of it >_<

That's ok. Maybe I'll make the exact replicate of this, but in 3D soon. With your permission of course.;)

#20 osbornecreations

osbornecreations

GMC Member

• 460 posts

Posted 10 November 2008 - 09:35 PM

That's ok. Maybe I'll make the exact replicate of this, but in 3D soon. With your permission of course. :P

Oh by all means, go ahead! =D i can work on something to make it easier for you to convert it over if you wish, and i will put it in the first post for others to use. =]

EDIT-okay, its up. there is now a script that is called in the creation event which handles the variables. in the script, you can edit two variables called 'drawx' and 'drawy', instead of it being updated in the step event via the achievements location. This should be a lot simpler for you to convert to 3d, and for anyone else, a lot easier too.

The example without encryption is removed, as there is no use for it anymore and the encryption is much better.

Edited by osbornecreations, 10 November 2008 - 10:08 PM.

#21 death-droid

death-droid

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 2600 posts

Posted 11 November 2008 - 06:53 AM

im glad you liked it :P im pretty bad at 3d coding too.. i only make 2d games.. i cant seem to get a hang of it >_<

It would have to use gmsql but Smarty doesn't want it being used client sided :)

Edited by death-droid, 11 November 2008 - 06:58 AM.

Posted Image

#22 osbornecreations

osbornecreations

GMC Member

• 460 posts

Posted 11 November 2008 - 11:56 AM

It would have to use gmsql but Smarty doesn't want it being used client sided :P

Well how about this.. when you download the game for the first time, it gives you the option of register a gamertag like on the 360. it will give you a gamerscore of 0, along with a list of achievements you have completed. every time they play a game, it will automatically check the server for the players infomation and download it to the game, displaying their gamerscore, achievements and so on. once they have completed an achievement, it will check to see if it has already been unlocked, if not, it will unlock the achievement and add the appropriate gamerscore.

would that be possible with gmsql?

#23 Alienpunisher10

Alienpunisher10

Blue X Gaming

• GMC Member
  • 636 posts

Posted 11 November 2008 - 12:23 PM

really nice, but i recommend to make the simple version.

STREAK Progression : ||||||||||
Actually, STREAK is out but it's not the time to goes public yet :)
Need Fake 3d Frets and Notes ! PM Me with your work !
STREAK Needs YOU

#24 osbornecreations

osbornecreations

GMC Member

• 460 posts

Posted 11 November 2008 - 12:35 PM

really nice, but i recommend to make the simple version.

the simple version is already there. we are talking about implementing this into a full system.

#25 death-droid

death-droid

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 2600 posts

Posted 12 November 2008 - 06:36 AM

It would have to use gmsql but Smarty doesn't want it being used client sided :P

Well how about this.. when you download the game for the first time, it gives you the option of register a gamertag like on the 360. it will give you a gamerscore of 0, along with a list of achievements you have completed. every time they play a game, it will automatically check the server for the players infomation and download it to the game, displaying their gamerscore, achievements and so on. once they have completed an achievement, it will check to see if it has already been unlocked, if not, it will unlock the achievement and add the appropriate gamerscore.

I think so......

Posted Image

#26 Spyker

Spyker

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 793 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 12 November 2008 - 10:55 PM

Amazing, I never even thought about this!

I might include this in my game, I'll have to think about it but I will notify you if I do!

Check out Night Bike for Android and iOS!

2j2wyvk.png

Curious on how to code in other languages? I highly recommend you check out Team Tree house. You'll learn a lot of skills and methods that will help with GameMaker, and you can learn how to code things to work with your game (websites, databases, etc). There are tons of small courses that range from beginner to advanced.

#27 tdmgames

tdmgames

GMC Member

• 1641 posts

Posted 15 November 2008 - 09:15 AM

I think so......

GMSql you can capture the packets being sent to the server, and therefore get the username and password data. What you could do is have a PHP script, which you download using a download dll and that page inserts the data into the database, of course you'd need some good encryption so it can't be intercepted and score changed to get a higher gamer score.
OH Balls!

Domain change: If any of my links do you not, please PM me and I will send you a working link :)

t3mp3st+Me+BMG = t3mp3st's edited avatar with changing colour effect.

#28 Jax

Jax

GMC Member

• 232 posts

Posted 16 November 2008 - 02:53 AM

Woah! I like it! It is cool, but I think I will make my own system, it will mean more to me if I make it myself. If I were to rate this it would be a 9.8/10. This was worth the download! Thanks for the idea, and your hard work!
-Rock on! ;)

~Jax

#29 hotshotscott

hotshotscott

GMC Member

• 3483 posts

Posted 16 November 2008 - 07:06 AM

Very very good example, yet sooo simple. I think this is so good just because you've taken an idea from something, and given it to us. Nice job, i will probably use something like this in a game.

Scotty

TEAM ODDBOX

Did I try your game or help you out with yours?? Please return the favour and try out my game! NOT just another Halo Clone!!

Posted Image

#30 revoprod

revoprod

GML Beginner

• 111 posts

Posted 16 November 2008 - 01:32 PM

Awesome. Why didn't I think of that???
RPG-X: Tentative name for a 3D RPG

The Hunted - 3D FPS

Mayday - based off my aircraft physics engine

#31 newbguy

newbguy

GMC Member

• 128 posts

Posted 08 December 2008 - 02:59 PM

i agree with jakman4242 here. its too simple... i remember when i first came to the GMC (no, not with this forum account) the examples posted where somewhat large and complex. things that may have actually been impossible to do without expert knowledge on GML. simple things like this should be left for GMC members to figure out on their own... no need to dumb it down so much.

added:
sorry, sorry. i bumped an old topic. i did not see the last date. came across it in a search

Edited by newbguy, 08 December 2008 - 03:00 PM.

#32 ChIkEn AtE mY dOnUtS

ChIkEn AtE mY dOnUtS

Pwner of barcodes

• GMC Member
  • 2410 posts

Posted 11 December 2008 - 03:32 AM

But seeing as your skill obviously lacks in the GML area, I might be able to whip up a quick example of it in use.

Wow, seriously? Because I criticize you for only making a simple graphic effect, you think I'm bad a bad programmer?(if you really think I am, then look here, all code written by me.)

I think it's just pointless to make such a simple system to do something that is so easy to do on your own, which is to tell someone they did something. Your way of doing this just looks like the way it's done on an Xbox.

Eh, that was merely an overwritten example of something you could do to make this a working idea. But, you get where I'm going. I hope.

I lol'd cause your game has lots of gradients in it.. hahaha
I've moved away from GM. If you want to contact me, feel free to email ryanwebdev@gmail.com.

Thanks,
Ryan.

#33 osbornecreations

osbornecreations

GMC Member

• 460 posts

Posted 11 December 2008 - 03:37 AM

Want an achievement for that or something?

Edited by osbornecreations, 11 December 2008 - 03:37 AM.

#34 newbguy

newbguy

GMC Member

• 128 posts

Posted 11 December 2008 - 06:55 AM

Want an achievement for that or something?

Posted Image

added:

the whole achievement effect doesnt look that bad i guess. i still think it was a bit too basic to release like this

Edited by newbguy, 11 December 2008 - 07:00 AM.

#35 jakman4242

jakman4242

Vertical Shmup Junkie

• 3222 posts

Posted 11 December 2008 - 07:00 AM

Uh, this really is no place to talk about it, but..

There's only one gradient. And that gradient was used for the sky background. Not to mention, it's not even a game. I wouldn't consider it one, at least.
-- My blog. --

#36 osbornecreations

osbornecreations

GMC Member

• 460 posts

Posted 16 December 2008 - 11:48 PM

Uh, this really is no place to talk about it, but..

There's only one gradient. And that gradient was used for the sky background. Not to mention, it's not even a game. I wouldn't consider it one, at least.

amen.

as I said, feel free the change the graphics to your liking. if you dont like how it looks, then change it so it looks how you want!

#37 SilentxxBunny

SilentxxBunny

The Wanderer

• GMC Member
  • 1262 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 17 December 2008 - 03:40 AM

This... Is... Awesome...

:D

#38 Rybo5000

Rybo5000

GMC Member

• 423 posts

Posted 08 January 2009 - 10:22 PM

Darn I was interested in seeing this, broken link!