I was wondering what type of movement is better in a Top Down Shooter game:
Fixed movement: When you press any movement keys, you move directly in that direction. You body still points towards the mouse.
Mouse movement: Like the other one, your body is constantly pointing towards the mouse, however when you use the movement keys you move towards or around the mouse.
I had a little debate with myself, and thought of a few pros and cons.
- Easier to move and shoot in another direction
- Easier to navigate with less thought, ie. you can just glimpse at were your character is and move him easily while not worrying about the mouse
- Generally easier to use, especially if the game is fast paced
- Feels better to some players
- Not realistic, ie. your body is facing in a completely random direction to the way your walking
- Very hard to animate the sprite due to the way his body would act.
- More realistic, because you wont be walking in funny directions compared to where your looking
- Easier to animate
- Better for a slow-paced game as you cant run in and shoot
- Better for non-linear maps, as in your not stuck on a set path
- Cant move through maps quickly
- Strafing is very annoying, making it hard to poke around a corner to kill someone