An unspecified software company is experimenting with sentient enemy AI in it's most recent game. Since it's still in alpha, it generally has a lot of glitches. You happen to be a sentient glitch, and because of that, the computer wants to get rid of you. In order to survive, you want to get to the one place where they can't delete you. the internet. [this is all explained right before the start of when you get to control the character] [when you start off you'll go through a couple of rooms which will just be a tutorial] After going through a few rooms, you meet up with the main character in the game [in the game that this game is going to be set in], help him out of a sticky situation, and make a deal that you'll help him get the four pieces of an "ancient weapon", and he'll help you to get out of the game. You then have to go through and find the four pieces of the "ancient weapon".
The first piece will be in a graveyard (in a crypt, when you take it, a bunch of people get out of their coffins, the glitch says "aah! they're zombies", they say "no, I think I was just buried alive", and the glitch says "aah! they're talking zombies!" and shoots them), the second being in a forest, in one of the trees, and you have to find a few clues to find out which tree it's in, the third will be in an underground sanctuary (I'm not sure exactly what'll happen here) and the fourth is in an abandoned temple.
In the abandoned temple, this is what happens (using ap11's idea):
At one point in the game, when the Glitch and the Knight are close to finding the weapon, when they come across an altar inside a temple. There is a hole at the statues feet, and the knight plunges his sword into the hole. The statue opens it's hands to reveal, at last...an empty chest? The Glitch and the Knight realize that there is an error, and the shotgun hasn't been put into the game properly yet. The temple starts crumbling, and they are forced to leave, forgetting the Knight's sword. They leave the temple, distressed and depressed. Suddenly, somebody turns off the game, because they decide that they need to stop the game for a moment. Fortunately, and unfortunately, the Glitch prevents this by releasing a massive "Glitch Discharge" or "Override"I'll make it so he uses a "code block", it'll just be easier, I'll make it fall down from the ceiling or something., and completely turns the game inside out. By this I mean all of the once evil guys are now good, and the Knight is now evil. The game, however, is not turned off. You then have to attempt to escape the Knight, who at once begins hunting you down. You can find solace amongst various enemies, who are now working with you. By turning the game inside out, while running from the Knight the Glitch realizes that the shotgun may in fact be in the game now. He runs into the temple, and he takes the shotgun (although he doesn't know how to use it). The Knight arrives, and corners the Glitch. He tears his sword out of the hole, and suddenly there is another discharge, and everything is back the way it was before...except that the Glitch is now holding the shotgun.
*The game will have a medieval setting, but I'm planning on making the enemies you face UNRELATED to the game you're in.* If anyone's played Blue Buddy 2, I want the graphics and stuff to be like that, so it's obvious where you are, but not interfering with the gameplay much.
In other words, there'll be no background, it'll be just one colour, with a few location-related objects, like trees etc, in the "background" (ie looking like it's a metre behind you).
I'll probably definitely have a medieval setting, with a [cliched, generic] story about a knight who's trying to save his girlfriend from an evil king (so I can make sure it isn't too serious, and have some humour and stuff).
I'm going to make it a platformer, with some (hopefully) unique features.
I'll also add "bullets" (and by bullets, I mean you'll fire a lazer out of yourc hands, and have a finite amount of slow-moving missiles), which means it will be sort of fighting based, but it'll also have a puzzle element in the form of "code blocks". Basically, when you activate them [the code blocks], they give effects, (not all beneficial) which you will need to get through the game.
My current plans for "code blocks" are:
1. Freezes your y coordinate so you will not, under any circumstance, move up or down, until the effect is deactivated. You won't be able to deactivate it on your own (or at least thats what I'm planning).
2. Will make you invisible (and the enemies will then ignore you completely), but before you can attack, you have to become visible again (pressing the "fire" button will make you visible, and a few seconds later, you will be able to fire again).
3. Makes you smaller, but also makes you [move] slower and makes your jumps smaller.
4. Skips you forward about 5 seconds, and nothing within those 5 seconds will affect you. You'll be effectively frozen, but the rest of the game will continue as per usual.
Current planned enemies:
General idea of enemies: Everything around you; the whole environment (the program) except a few things that you can use to your advantage.
Turret - immobile, can hit you pretty much anywhere unless you have a wall between you and it. They won't fire at you unless you're a certain distance from them though.
Tank - has spikes on the front and back, and can fire a cannon left or right, horizontally (or almost horizontally, if it can change it's firing angle). I'll probably make it so you can stand on top of it.
Helicopter - Not sure what Ill make it do (I need help on this)
Catapult trap (when you step on it, it fires you like it's a catapult. I'll probably use it in some puzzle).
***Since it's the game thats trying to destroy you, I'm not going to have anything "living". I'm not going to have straight out robots though. Think "automated defense system".
GENERAL STUFF ABOUT THE GAME:
- I don't want some "upgrade" thing where you take over a different character.
- I suck with RPGs, they need (generally complicated) code and stuff, so I'm not gonna have some "glitch up and take over the entire game" thing. I will probably have small max hp boosts etc though.
- It'll be a 2D platformer, half puzzle-based, half action-based.
- I'm not a very good programmer, I just plain suck at spriting, and the chances of me making sound effects without just recording them (which would be hard/annoying) are nil.
- Right now, I mainly need to work on the story. Sure I might need to add some enemies and stuff, but ten enemies and no plot isn't as good as five enemies and a plot.
Don't expect the game to be very polished... I'll probably need spriters later, so if you're willing to do all the spriting (don't expect the game to be ultra-awesome, but I'll make sure it won't be crap), PM me.
UPDATED to make it less of a B!TCH to read.
Edited by Demonhawk, 19 March 2009 - 09:19 AM.