Photo

Glitch (thats The Name Of The Game, Not A Problem)

• Please log in to reply
60 replies to this topic

#1 Demonhawk

Demonhawk

GMC Member

• 723 posts

Posted 20 October 2008 - 10:00 AM

Link for the original topic.
Plot:
An unspecified software company is experimenting with sentient enemy AI in it's most recent game. Since it's still in alpha, it generally has a lot of glitches. You happen to be a sentient glitch, and because of that, the computer wants to get rid of you. In order to survive, you want to get to the one place where they can't delete you. the internet. [this is all explained right before the start of when you get to control the character] [when you start off you'll go through a couple of rooms which will just be a tutorial] After going through a few rooms, you meet up with the main character in the game [in the game that this game is going to be set in], help him out of a sticky situation, and make a deal that you'll help him get the four pieces of an "ancient weapon", and he'll help you to get out of the game. You then have to go through and find the four pieces of the "ancient weapon".

The first piece will be in a graveyard (in a crypt, when you take it, a bunch of people get out of their coffins, the glitch says "aah! they're zombies", they say "no, I think I was just buried alive", and the glitch says "aah! they're talking zombies!" and shoots them), the second being in a forest, in one of the trees, and you have to find a few clues to find out which tree it's in, the third will be in an underground sanctuary (I'm not sure exactly what'll happen here) and the fourth is in an abandoned temple.
In the abandoned temple, this is what happens (using ap11's idea):

At one point in the game, when the Glitch and the Knight are close to finding the weapon, when they come across an altar inside a temple. There is a hole at the statues feet, and the knight plunges his sword into the hole. The statue opens it's hands to reveal, at last...an empty chest? The Glitch and the Knight realize that there is an error, and the shotgun hasn't been put into the game properly yet. The temple starts crumbling, and they are forced to leave, forgetting the Knight's sword. They leave the temple, distressed and depressed. Suddenly, somebody turns off the game, because they decide that they need to stop the game for a moment. Fortunately, and unfortunately, the Glitch prevents this by releasing a massive "Glitch Discharge" or "Override"I'll make it so he uses a "code block", it'll just be easier, I'll make it fall down from the ceiling or something., and completely turns the game inside out. By this I mean all of the once evil guys are now good, and the Knight is now evil. The game, however, is not turned off. You then have to attempt to escape the Knight, who at once begins hunting you down. You can find solace amongst various enemies, who are now working with you. By turning the game inside out, while running from the Knight the Glitch realizes that the shotgun may in fact be in the game now. He runs into the temple, and he takes the shotgun (although he doesn't know how to use it). The Knight arrives, and corners the Glitch. He tears his sword out of the hole, and suddenly there is another discharge, and everything is back the way it was before...except that the Glitch is now holding the shotgun.

*The game will have a medieval setting, but I'm planning on making the enemies you face UNRELATED to the game you're in.* If anyone's played Blue Buddy 2, I want the graphics and stuff to be like that, so it's obvious where you are, but not interfering with the gameplay much.
In other words, there'll be no background, it'll be just one colour, with a few location-related objects, like trees etc, in the "background" (ie looking like it's a metre behind you).
I'll probably definitely have a medieval setting, with a [cliched, generic] story about a knight who's trying to save his girlfriend from an evil king (so I can make sure it isn't too serious, and have some humour and stuff).

I'm going to make it a platformer, with some (hopefully) unique features.
I'll also add "bullets" (and by bullets, I mean you'll fire a lazer out of yourc hands, and have a finite amount of slow-moving missiles), which means it will be sort of fighting based, but it'll also have a puzzle element in the form of "code blocks". Basically, when you activate them [the code blocks], they give effects, (not all beneficial) which you will need to get through the game.

My current plans for "code blocks" are:
1. Freezes your y coordinate so you will not, under any circumstance, move up or down, until the effect is deactivated. You won't be able to deactivate it on your own (or at least thats what I'm planning).
2. Will make you invisible (and the enemies will then ignore you completely), but before you can attack, you have to become visible again (pressing the "fire" button will make you visible, and a few seconds later, you will be able to fire again).
3. Makes you smaller, but also makes you [move] slower and makes your jumps smaller.
4. Skips you forward about 5 seconds, and nothing within those 5 seconds will affect you. You'll be effectively frozen, but the rest of the game will continue as per usual.

Current planned enemies:
General idea of enemies: Everything around you; the whole environment (the program) except a few things that you can use to your advantage.
Turret - immobile, can hit you pretty much anywhere unless you have a wall between you and it. They won't fire at you unless you're a certain distance from them though.
Tank - has spikes on the front and back, and can fire a cannon left or right, horizontally (or almost horizontally, if it can change it's firing angle). I'll probably make it so you can stand on top of it.

Helicopter - Not sure what Ill make it do (I need help on this)
Catapult trap (when you step on it, it fires you like it's a catapult. I'll probably use it in some puzzle).
***Since it's the game thats trying to destroy you, I'm not going to have anything "living". I'm not going to have straight out robots though. Think "automated defense system".

GENERAL STUFF ABOUT THE GAME:
  • I don't want some "upgrade" thing where you take over a different character.
  • I suck with RPGs, they need (generally complicated) code and stuff, so I'm not gonna have some "glitch up and take over the entire game" thing. I will probably have small max hp boosts etc though.
  • It'll be a 2D platformer, half puzzle-based, half action-based.
  • I'm not a very good programmer, I just plain suck at spriting, and the chances of me making sound effects without just recording them (which would be hard/annoying) are nil.
  • Right now, I mainly need to work on the story. Sure I might need to add some enemies and stuff, but ten enemies and no plot isn't as good as five enemies and a plot.
Anyways, I need help with planning on the actual game it's supposed to be set in.

Don't expect the game to be very polished... I'll probably need spriters later, so if you're willing to do all the spriting (don't expect the game to be ultra-awesome, but I'll make sure it won't be crap), PM me.
UPDATED to make it less of a B!TCH to read.

Edited by Demonhawk, 19 March 2009 - 09:19 AM.

Click here to recieve a free popup!
Because if you don't click it now, you may be forever wondering what it is...

Poll: Are you planning on going into the games-development/IT industry after GM?
Yes, the games-development industry
Yes, just the general IT industry
Nah, gamemaker is just a hobby for me.
(Results)

#2 Frostblade

Frostblade

GMC Member

• GMC Elder
  • 3329 posts

Posted 20 October 2008 - 11:54 AM

Code Block Number Two: Invisibility? It stops enemies from attacking you, and it's simple enough to bring in an "attack and invisibility is broken" mechanic.

Suggestion for a fifth code block: Phasing. Any blocks that are not metallic (such as crates and stone walls) simply no longer react to you; you can walk right through them. The downside is that you can no longer effect them, even though you might need to move crates around to solve a puzzle (for example).

#3 Demonhawk

Demonhawk

GMC Member

• 723 posts

Posted 21 October 2008 - 02:41 AM

Code Block Number Two: Invisibility? It stops enemies from attacking you, and it's simple enough to bring in an "attack and invisibility is broken" mechanic.

Suggestion for a fifth code block: Phasing. Any blocks that are not metallic (such as crates and stone walls) simply no longer react to you; you can walk right through them. The downside is that you can no longer effect them, even though you might need to move crates around to solve a puzzle (for example).

Nice. I didn't like the idea of distracting enemies much anyways. I'll go with invisibility. I'll make it the spirtes like 90% opaque.
But what's with phasing? Wouldn't it make more sense to make it so that you aren't affected/can't affect metal, and everything else effects you? That way you don't disappear through the floor.

Also, some help with the story would be useful. Very useful.

Poll: Are you planning on going into the games-development/IT industry after GM?
(Results)

#4 jackyboyhenry

jackyboyhenry

just jack

• GMC Member
  • 466 posts

Posted 22 October 2008 - 03:05 PM

i like it :lol:
Im to cool for a nice signature.

#5 Demonhawk

Demonhawk

GMC Member

• 723 posts

Posted 23 October 2008 - 06:43 AM

i like it <_<

Thanks... :) Any ideas?

(Results)

#6 THE KAPPTIN

THE KAPPTIN

El Capitano

• 2374 posts

Posted 24 October 2008 - 08:24 PM

I think it would be really cool if your graphics for glitchy things actually looked like glitches, y'know, like when a tile draws incorrectly, like it draws from the wrong part of the sprite sheet, or the colours are messed up, or it looks kind of staticy and "glitchy".

Your code blocks could cause these effects to happen.

Would be so cool. IT would look like you're actually breaking the game with your attacks.

...maybe you could have a power bar that runs down as you use your abilities, and if it goes too low the program crashes. Or a "crash" could be what youc all your game over / player death event.
The 'game over' screen could be a blue screen of death or a command prompt.
I literally have a degree in game development... sucka!!
"I quote myself in my signature." -THE KAPPTIN

#7 Demonhawk

Demonhawk

GMC Member

• 723 posts

Posted 25 October 2008 - 04:11 AM

I think it would be really cool if your graphics for glitchy things actually looked like glitches, y'know, like when a tile draws incorrectly, like it draws from the wrong part of the sprite sheet, or the colours are messed up, or it looks kind of staticy and "glitchy".

Your code blocks could cause these effects to happen.

Would be so cool. IT would look like you're actually breaking the game with your attacks.

Yea, I Think so too. That was one of the first things I thought of. If I can have it in the game, I will.

...maybe you could have a power bar that runs down as you use your abilities, and if it goes too low the program crashes. Or a "crash" could be what youc all your game over / player death event.
The 'game over' screen could be a blue screen of death or a command prompt.

Yea, maybe I could have a thing where when your HP hits 0, the computer "crashes" or something similar, and you have the option to "reboot from the last backup" (ie load)..

Still, I need some storyline ideas.. I need to have more stuff in the storyline, or the game will be like 5 minutes long...

(Results)

#8 Demonhawk

Demonhawk

GMC Member

• 723 posts

Posted 27 October 2008 - 09:35 PM

Bump. Need help on the storyline still... Any help, anyone?

(Results)

#9 Demonhawk

Demonhawk

GMC Member

• 723 posts

Posted 31 October 2008 - 02:42 AM

I'm drawing some concept art, sorta... A friend is helping me out a lot with that, but I still need help with the story of (the game that this game is going to be in).

(Results)

#10 MMORPGguy

MMORPGguy

MMORPG guy

• GMC Member
  • 2208 posts
  • Version:Unknown

Posted 31 October 2008 - 06:31 AM

Make it end with you accessing the internet, spreading to the world.

Edited by MMORPGguy, 31 October 2008 - 06:31 AM.

My blog.

"Let the guarantee of free speech be in every man's determination to use it, and we shall have no need of paper declarations."
- Voltairine de Cleyre

#11 Demonhawk

Demonhawk

GMC Member

• 723 posts

Posted 31 October 2008 - 07:04 AM

Make it end with you accessing the internet, spreading to the world.

I'm leaving room for a sequel, and by then I'll be able to make a more advanced game and stuff. I'm gonna end it with you getting out of the comp game, and (right after you get out of the game) a light going off, and you hearing "VIRUS DETECTED" and saying 'aaaw f**k'. I'm probably going to make the "villain" an evil king or something. Although it would be a LOT of help if someone could give suggestions. It's either a cliche 'villain', or a NOT cliche 'villain', either way I'll be parodying him/her/it.

(Results)

#12 THE KAPPTIN

THE KAPPTIN

El Capitano

• 2374 posts

Posted 31 October 2008 - 07:33 PM

<post removed for excessive awesomeness>

Edited by THE KAPPTIN, 01 November 2008 - 06:58 PM.

#13 Demonhawk

Demonhawk

GMC Member

• 723 posts

Posted 01 November 2008 - 02:16 AM

2 ideas:

The villain could be the avatar of the antivitus software. So I gues he'd look like whatever the (made-up) brand of the software is (e.g. King Antivirus (king), Lockdown Computer Security (big dog, or policeman) etc.).

Naah, I need the villain to actually be in the story. The glitch isn't in the story. The "villain" is the opposite of the "hero" and the "hero" is on some cliche "save the princess" type quest. Since in medieval times, they didn't even KNOW what a computer was, let alone a computer virus, there's no way I'm doing that...

Both the character and the villain could be glitches originating from some made-up game, maybe a typical fantasy RPG or something. Half the time the character could be serching for the seven magical crystals of Tuzora (which would appear as messed-up icons / parts of icons in the game) and half the time he's totally unaware of the game he was previously in - just fighting the non-glitches, breaking through programs, etc., with the goal of maybe getting out of the system. So I guess he'd be fighting both the glitched version of his own game (combined with stuff from the actual comp) mixed with the security / anti-glitch? software. This also lets you use another glitched sprite for the villain, which makes more sense than having graphics or a "boss" for an antivirus program, I guess.

Maybe you need to re-read the story, because I don't think you understand. If you still don't understand after that, you could read the original post, that might be clearer.

The Crystals of Tuzora could give you new powers, opening up the possibility of making it Metroid-style, which could help the playtime without even requiring you to really write more story.
I think it would be particularly cool to have one of the crystals not be visible - like the sprite is not displaying properly to the player. You could have the character say something like "it's beautiful!" to show that he is supposed to be able to see it.

I might do the "it's beautiful!" thing, but I'm not gonna try to make it Metroid-style.

Your powers could have names like "fireball," "ice bolt," "summon imp", but they wouldn't do what they say, they would do glitch-based things instead (though maybe do something similar to the name, like fireball could glitch-attack one enemy in front of you, summon imp could turn a portion of the screen glitchy, etc). The idea is the power names and icons carried over from the game you came from, but the effects didn't carry over properly.

Would be hard to make, but has potential to be really cool.

You obviously did NOT read the last part. I said I'M NOT THAT GOOD AT PROGRAMMING. It might be possible for you, but it sure as hell wouldn't be possible for me if I'm planning on finishing it in the next year...
Are you sure you read my post?
EDIT:
New idea: (by the way I'll refer to the "hero" as the knight, and the "villain" as the king, and the glitch as the glitch) The knight gets his girlfriend kidnapped by the king for some trivial reason, and because of that he's on a quest to take down the king. But because the king has a bunch of minions, the knight is on a quest for a legendary weapon which was said to be so powerful that it was spread in 8 [I'll probably change that later] parts across the kingdom. So they team up (that was already decided) and somehow discover where the 8 [I need a better number than 8, its too cliche] pieces are (and coincidentally, they're all arranged linearly), and set off to find them. After they find them, they put them together [I'll have one of them say "it's like a jigsaw puzzle!"], and it turns out to be a shotgun, [although the knight doesn't know what a shotgun is, and thinks it's magical] the glitch says something like "well you cant have a good game without a shotgun", and the knight learns how to use it. I'll ignore the fact that shotguns need ammo, for now. Not sure what happens next. Any suggestions?

Edited by Demonhawk, 01 November 2008 - 07:00 AM.

(Results)

#14 pokemonxs

pokemonxs

GMC Member

• 247 posts

Posted 01 November 2008 - 02:30 PM

cool!

maybe have the player being able to use a cheat system that gliches up the game as a special attack or something like that
-Talented

#15 ap11

ap11

GMC Member

• 104 posts

Posted 01 November 2008 - 03:40 PM

Maybe the glitch is somehow tied to the shotgun, and rather than fire bullets, it fires mini "glitches", which screw up what ever part of the game they hit, or perhaps they generate a random effect, or maybe they become glitches that start working for you, making it so that you don't have to kill everybody, because you have some help. It would certainly be a solution as to having to fight a vast number of minions, turning them against each other. :whistle:

By becoming glitches, I meant the enemies become glitches when they get hit by the shotgun. Just wanted to make sure thats clear :P

Edited by ap11, 01 November 2008 - 03:42 PM.

#16 THE KAPPTIN

THE KAPPTIN

El Capitano

• 2374 posts

Posted 01 November 2008 - 06:57 PM

You obviously did NOT read the last part.

Not at all. What I posted wasn't based on your idea at all really, and if you don't like it, I'll keep it for myself. ;)

#17 Demonhawk

Demonhawk

GMC Member

• 723 posts

Posted 02 November 2008 - 01:01 AM

cool!

maybe have the player being able to use a cheat system that gliches up the game as a special attack or something like that

glitches up the game? how? how it glitches up the game will be a problem, and I already sort of have that with the code blocks... also, I won't be adding cheats...

Maybe the glitch is somehow tied to the shotgun, and rather than fire bullets, it fires mini "glitches", which screw up what ever part of the game they hit, or perhaps they generate a random effect, or maybe they become glitches that start working for you, making it so that you don't have to kill everybody, because you have some help. It would certainly be a solution as to having to fight a vast number of minions, turning them against each other. ;)

By becoming glitches, I meant the enemies become glitches when they get hit by the shotgun. Just wanted to make sure thats clear :)

Read this:

• I don't want some "upgrade" thing where you take over a different character.
  • I suck with RPGs, they need (generally complicated) code and stuff, so I'm not gonna have some "glitch up and take over the entire game" thing. I will probably have small max hp boosts etc though.
  • It'll be a 2D platformer, half puzzle-based, half action-based.
  • I'm not a very good programmer, I just plain suck at spriting, and the chances of me making sound effects without just recording them are nil.
  • Right now, I mainly need to work on the story. Sure I might need to add some enemies and stuff, but ten enemies and no plot isn't as good as five enemies and a plot.

Anyways, I don't really need to make anything like that, because a shotgun in a medieval world is already pretty powerful. I just need some advice and stuff (like, tell me whether that last part with the shotgun would be good or bad, or what).

You obviously did NOT read the last part.

Not at all. What I posted wasn't based on your idea at all really, and if you don't like it, I'll keep it for myself. :(

Ok..

(Results)

#18 laserjet

laserjet

GMC Member

• 99 posts

Posted 03 November 2008 - 06:17 PM

i would make the graphics for this abstract, like geometry wars
sounds good so far (Y)

http://nyiskillingme.tumblr.com/

http://www.host-a.net/u/laserjet

#19 Demonhawk

Demonhawk

GMC Member

• 723 posts

Posted 03 November 2008 - 09:36 PM

i would make the graphics for this abstract, like geometry wars
sounds good so far (Y)

I'm not going to make them abstract exactly, I'm going to do a different style of graphics to the norm though. I've got a LOT of the story done now thankas to a friend.

(Results)

#20 Metallon

Metallon

GMC Member

• 154 posts

Posted 05 November 2008 - 09:34 AM

To be honest, a game like this doesn't sound like it should be focusing on story. You're making a 2D platformer with a balance between action-oriented gameplay and puzzle-oriented gameplay. By default, I have a hard time thinking up a story that involves a mere computer glitch as the main character. We don't even know enough about the glitch to begin with. It's sentient, but so what? To what extent? Does it have emotions? What level of intelligence does the glitch possess?

Someone mentioned something about the glitch producing other glitches. Use it to your advantage. A glitch in a program - in this case, a software we like to call games - makes the program behave in ways it "shouldn't" behave. So for a glitch to escape its software, wouldn't it have to make its way out of that software by causing the software to make other software in the same hardware act in ways it shouldn't? Part of the story: The glitch must reach the part of the game where he can glitch it up so bad that it will cause the entire computer to behave differently, creating bridges between the game software and other software - here comes a level (or several levels) where the player must win the game by successfully getting on one of those bridges and manage to stick with it as the computer fixes itself. I know that purely technically this may not really make sense but then again, a glitch moving inside a game and seeking help from part of the software doesn't seem very realistic, either.

Plot twist: Make the heroic knight eventually turn against the glitch. After all, the knight IS a part of the software - the game - that is trying to get rid of you.

#21 Demonhawk

Demonhawk

GMC Member

• 723 posts

Posted 05 November 2008 - 10:17 AM

To be honest, a game like this doesn't sound like it should be focusing on story. You're making a 2D platformer with a balance between action-oriented gameplay and puzzle-oriented gameplay. By default, I have a hard time thinking up a story that involves a mere computer glitch as the main character. We don't even know enough about the glitch to begin with. It's sentient, but so what? To what extent? Does it have emotions? What level of intelligence does the glitch possess?

Someone mentioned something about the glitch producing other glitches. Use it to your advantage. A glitch in a program - in this case, a software we like to call games - makes the program behave in ways it "shouldn't" behave. So for a glitch to escape its software, wouldn't it have to make its way out of that software by causing the software to make other software in the same hardware act in ways it shouldn't? Part of the story: The glitch must reach the part of the game where he can glitch it up so bad that it will cause the entire computer to behave differently, creating bridges between the game software and other software - here comes a level (or several levels) where the player must win the game by successfully getting on one of those bridges and manage to stick with it as the computer fixes itself. I know that purely technically this may not really make sense but then again, a glitch moving inside a game and seeking help from part of the software doesn't seem very realistic, either.

Plot twist: Make the heroic knight eventually turn against the glitch. After all, the knight IS a part of the software - the game - that is trying to get rid of you.

To be honest, I suck at programming. If I focus on gameplay, and have a crap story, then my game will probably be crap. By the way, the glitch has all the normal emotions and intelligence of a normal human being, and in terms of intelligence, more. I'm not gonna change the whole plot now, I might add a bit before the glitch leaves the game, but that's it. I'm not gonna have a bunch of stuff where you "glitch up" the game. I know I'm saying "I'm not" a lot, but if i don't I'll end up trying to make something which I don't have the skills for. I don't even know how to make a basic RPG.
By the way, the "plot twist" doesn't really work, because the knight isn't part of the software, he's just some virtual guy who thinks he's a knight, sorta like someone in the matrix.

What I want to work out next is how I'm going to have the levels after you meet the knight. Like, where are the pieces of the "ancient weapon" loacated, and since the enemies won't relate to anyone guarding them, how will I implement the levels?

(Results)

#22 Metallon

Metallon

GMC Member

• 154 posts

Posted 05 November 2008 - 10:30 AM

Let's see...

* You're missing 90% of the story, and so you refuse to alter anything, even if it means reducing that number?
* By "glitching" the game, I didn't mean to put it in a gameplay-manner, simply a story manner. For the record, why will you not "glitch" the game? Isn't making a platform suddenly rising 10 pixels a relatively simple thing to do? Just trying to understand how you reason.
* You said you suck at programming. At what level do you think you're capable of pulling this idea off? Do you know enough GML to do it, or are you using D&D (maybe D&D complemented with GML)? If not, how do you expect to pull off the entire level design, room scrolling, menus, cutscenes/dialogues, puzzles, etc? Again, just trying to see how you reason.
* You haven't mentioned that the knight isn't part of the software. In fact, you said that the knight was the hero of the game in your original post. Also, if it doesn't work, what's stopping you from changing the game so that it does? Is there more things we don't know that we should? There's no point in holding back story details of it means us wasting time putting out ideas that just aren't going to "really work".
* You haven't mentioned any ancient weapons as far as I can recall. Again, why do we not know this?

EDIT: No, you did mention a "legendary weapon". My bad.

2nd EDIT: Your ideas aren't set in stone, remember that. You still have the option to change at will and such; try not to be so stuck on the things you already have. If a great idea requires you to scratch a good idea, do it, if it makes the game better in the end. Preferably though, you'd try to work both of them in together. I strongly recommend you write a proper design document. This game seems to require one.

Edited by Metallon, 05 November 2008 - 10:36 AM.

#23 Demonhawk

Demonhawk

GMC Member

• 723 posts

Posted 06 November 2008 - 02:48 AM

Let's see...

* You're missing 90% of the story, and so you refuse to alter anything, even if it means reducing that number?
* By "glitching" the game, I didn't mean to put it in a gameplay-manner, simply a story manner. For the record, why will you not "glitch" the game? Isn't making a platform suddenly rising 10 pixels a relatively simple thing to do? Just trying to understand how you reason.
* You said you suck at programming. At what level do you think you're capable of pulling this idea off? Do you know enough GML to do it, or are you using D&D (maybe D&D complemented with GML)? If not, how do you expect to pull off the entire level design, room scrolling, menus, cutscenes/dialogues, puzzles, etc? Again, just trying to see how you reason.
* You haven't mentioned that the knight isn't part of the software. In fact, you said that the knight was the hero of the game in your original post. Also, if it doesn't work, what's stopping you from changing the game so that it does? Is there more things we don't know that we should? There's no point in holding back story details of it means us wasting time putting out ideas that just aren't going to "really work".
* You haven't mentioned any ancient weapons as far as I can recall. Again, why do we not know this?

EDIT: No, you did mention a "legendary weapon". My bad.

2nd EDIT: Your ideas aren't set in stone, remember that. You still have the option to change at will and such; try not to be so stuck on the things you already have. If a great idea requires you to scratch a good idea, do it, if it makes the game better in the end. Preferably though, you'd try to work both of them in together. I strongly recommend you write a proper design document. This game seems to require one.

*I WAS missing 90% of the story. And, I like the story as it is.
* I MIGHT add that, I'll get there later though.
*D&D as much as possible, I'll use GML when I can't use D&D
*The knight doesn't KNOW he's part of the programming. There's a difference.

(Results)

#24 Metallon

Metallon

GMC Member

• 154 posts

Posted 06 November 2008 - 09:39 AM

Well, update and let us know what it is you DO need help with - that way, we'll provide you with ideas for your current game story. And for the record, it doesn't matter if he knows he's part of the software - the game, that is - and him not knowing doesn't make it that he isn't. Again, the plot twist would still work. He just wouldn't know that the software suddenly turned him against the glitch. Technically, there's nothing that says he would but nothing that says he wouldn't. That's an idea for you. But, since I feel you're just working against the crowd here, I'm going to leave you to your own designs.

(First the knight is the hero of the game, then he isn't part of the game, then he is part of it again but he doesn't know about it - as though that would make some difference you've yet to explain. Not that I care, though.)

Good luck with the project.

#25 Demonhawk

Demonhawk

GMC Member

• 723 posts

Posted 06 November 2008 - 09:59 AM

Well, update and let us know what it is you DO need help with - that way, we'll provide you with ideas for your current game story. And for the record, it doesn't matter if he knows he's part of the software - the game, that is - and him not knowing doesn't make it that he isn't. Again, the plot twist would still work. He just wouldn't know that the software suddenly turned him against the glitch. Technically, there's nothing that says he would but nothing that says he wouldn't. That's an idea for you. But, since I feel you're just working against the crowd here, I'm going to leave you to your own designs.

(First the knight is the hero of the game, then he isn't part of the game, then he is part of it again but he doesn't know about it - as though that would make some difference you've yet to explain. Not that I care, though.)

Good luck with the project.

I know I'm working against the crowd, or at least some of it, but I want it to be my game, and my story.
What I do need is what happens between when the knight and glitch set off on their quest for the "ancient weapon" (by the way, I'm gonna make it so there's an inscription that says it's called "the eternal shotgun") and when they get it, in a bit more detail.

I'm not gonna remake the wheel, I'm going to use some examples which I'll modify. And, I know it'll probably be really hard, but hey, if I can't make this ever, I'll never learn.

Edited by Demonhawk, 06 November 2008 - 10:02 AM.

(Results)

#26 Some_weirdGuy

Some_weirdGuy

GMC Member

• 27 posts

Posted 08 November 2008 - 09:20 AM

What if the glitch travels into different programs?(ie levels)

so level one is your knights adventure, but being a glitch you cause problems in the game meaning you(and the villains?) 'escape' into other 'games'...

what do ya think?

#27 Demonhawk

Demonhawk

GMC Member

• 723 posts

Posted 08 November 2008 - 11:25 AM

What if the glitch travels into different programs?(ie levels)

so level one is your knights adventure, but being a glitch you cause problems in the game meaning you(and the villains?) 'escape' into other 'games'...

what do ya think?

I think if I make a sequel, I might, but since this game will end once you get out of the current program, and I haven't finished the first game, it won't be included quite yet.

(Results)

#28 Demonhawk

Demonhawk

GMC Member

• 723 posts

Posted 12 November 2008 - 10:51 AM

I'm thinking the "ancient weapon" might be in shrines or something. I'm STILL stuck...

(Results)

#29 ap11

ap11

GMC Member

• 104 posts

Posted 12 November 2008 - 05:42 PM

Here's a thought:

At one point in the game, when the Glitch and the Knight are close to finding the weapon, when they come across an altar inside a temple. There is a hole at the statues feet, and the knight plunges his sword into the hole. The statue opens it's hands to reveal, at last...an empty chest? The Glitch and the Knight realize that there is an error, and the shotgun hasn't been put into the game properly yet. The temple starts crumbling, and they are forced to leave, forgetting the Knight's sword. They leave the temple, distressed and depressed. Suddenly, somebody turns off the game, because they decide that they need to stop the game for a moment. Fortunately, and unfortunately, the Glitch prevents this by releasing a massive "Glitch Discharge" or "Override", and completely turns the game inside out. By this I mean all of the once evil guys are now good, and the Knight is now evil. The game, however, is not turned off. You then have to attempt to escape the Knight, who at once begins hunting you down. You can find solace amongst various enemies, who are now working with you. By turning the game inside out, while running from the Knight the Glitch realizes that the shotgun may in fact be in the game now. He runs into the temple, and he takes the shotgun (although he doesn't know how to use it). The Knight arrives, and corners the Glitch. He tears his sword out of the hole, and suddenly there is another discharge, and everything is back the way it was before...except that the Glitch is now holding the shotgun.

Just came to me from the top off my head ;)

ap11

Edited by ap11, 12 November 2008 - 05:43 PM.

#30 Demonhawk

Demonhawk

GMC Member

• 723 posts

Posted 13 November 2008 - 02:34 AM

Here's a thought:

At one point in the game, when the Glitch and the Knight are close to finding the weapon, when they come across an altar inside a temple. There is a hole at the statues feet, and the knight plunges his sword into the hole. The statue opens it's hands to reveal, at last...an empty chest? The Glitch and the Knight realize that there is an error, and the shotgun hasn't been put into the game properly yet. The temple starts crumbling, and they are forced to leave, forgetting the Knight's sword. They leave the temple, distressed and depressed. Suddenly, somebody turns off the game, because they decide that they need to stop the game for a moment. Fortunately, and unfortunately, the Glitch prevents this by releasing a massive "Glitch Discharge" or "Override", and completely turns the game inside out. By this I mean all of the once evil guys are now good, and the Knight is now evil. The game, however, is not turned off. You then have to attempt to escape the Knight, who at once begins hunting you down. You can find solace amongst various enemies, who are now working with you. By turning the game inside out, while running from the Knight the Glitch realizes that the shotgun may in fact be in the game now. He runs into the temple, and he takes the shotgun (although he doesn't know how to use it). The Knight arrives, and corners the Glitch. He tears his sword out of the hole, and suddenly there is another discharge, and everything is back the way it was before...except that the Glitch is now holding the shotgun.

Just came to me from the top off my head ;)

ap11

Nice, I'll use it. One down, three to go.

(Results)

#31 Demonhawk

Demonhawk

GMC Member

• 723 posts

Posted 15 November 2008 - 12:24 PM

Still stuck on what I'm going to have happen. I mainly need stuff like good geographical locations for where the [shotgun] pieces are. I'm going to use an abandoned shrine as the location for the last piece, and for the second last piece I'm probably going to use an underground sanctuary.

(Results)

#32 ap11

ap11

GMC Member

• 104 posts

Posted 15 November 2008 - 04:26 PM

From the top of my head:

One piece can be atop a mountain, one piece can be at the center of a maze, one piece can be in possesion of somebody like a King, and you have to do quests for them until at last they deem you worthy and give you the piece, one piece can be deep underground in an abandoned chamber or mine of some sort, one piece can be at the bottom of a well in a forest, protected with magical enchantments, one piece can be in a pot of gold at the end of the rainbow.

Take your pick :P

#33 Demonhawk

Demonhawk

GMC Member

• 723 posts

Posted 16 November 2008 - 06:11 AM

From the top of my head:

One piece can be atop a mountain, one piece can be at the center of a maze, one piece can be in possesion of somebody like a King, and you have to do quests for them until at last they deem you worthy and give you the piece, one piece can be deep underground in an abandoned chamber or mine of some sort, one piece can be at the bottom of a well in a forest, protected with magical enchantments, one piece can be in a pot of gold at the end of the rainbow.

Take your pick ;)

oooook.... is it just me or are you getting your ideas from greek myths? The second and third at least. I won't have it in a well, but I might have one in a forest (not going to include magic, so no enchantments, and besides, wouldn't it rust in a well?), I'm already planning to have one underground, I really really really doubt that one being in a pot of gold at the end of the rainbow would work without undermining any seriousness in the plot though.
Thanks anyway. Three down, one to go.

(Results)

#34 ap11

ap11

GMC Member

• 104 posts

Posted 16 November 2008 - 04:59 PM

oooook.... is it just me or are you getting your ideas from greek myths? The second and third at least. I won't have it in a well, but I might have one in a forest (not going to include magic, so no enchantments, and besides, wouldn't it rust in a well?), I'm already planning to have one underground, I really really really doubt that one being in a pot of gold at the end of the rainbow would work without undermining any seriousness in the plot though.

The second one was from a Greek Myth...the third one wasn't, it's just a common thing to have to do los of quests for Kings and such to obtain some important weapon or something. I've run into that alot.

I was joking about a piece at the end of the rainbow...

And the rust thing...note the

protected with magical enchantments

Anything else that you need?

#35 Demonhawk

Demonhawk

GMC Member

• 723 posts

Posted 17 November 2008 - 07:45 AM

The second one was from a Greek Myth...the third one wasn't, it's just a common thing to have to do los of quests for Kings and such to obtain some important weapon or something. I've run into that alot.

I was joking about a piece at the end of the rainbow...

And the rust thing...note the

protected with magical enchantments

Anything else that you need?

Yea. For once I want MEDIEVAL without MAGIC. And, the third reminds me of Hercules, that's why I though you were thinking of Greek myths. Anyway, I'm trying to think of a place in the forest that I could have the piece. Maybe there could be some kind of building in the forest.

Also, I'm thinking of having one in a graveyard.

(Results)

#36 ap11

ap11

GMC Member

• 104 posts

Posted 17 November 2008 - 05:23 PM

Solution for the forest thing: How about the piece is inside a tree, but it could be any tree in the forest, so they have to gather up clues to solve which tree it is, then the Knight needs to stab his sword into it.

#37 Demonhawk

Demonhawk

GMC Member

• 723 posts

Posted 17 November 2008 - 09:35 PM

Solution for the forest thing: How about the piece is inside a tree, but it could be any tree in the forest, so they have to gather up clues to solve which tree it is, then the Knight needs to stab his sword into it.

Ok, nice. What sort of clues though? It's going to be a platformer, remember, so it's hard to do depth perception and stuff like that.
By the way, I'm gonna make it so one piece will be in a graveyard, I might have undead, not sure about it though (if anything it'll be because of a "virus".

(Results)

#38 amarti64

amarti64

GMC Member

• 191 posts

Posted 19 November 2008 - 02:51 PM

Yea, maybe I could have a thing where when your HP hits 0, the computer "crashes" or something similar, and you have the option to "reboot from the last backup" (ie load)..

KERNEL PANIC MODE INTERRUPT
>>>>>>>\\STOP
CODE 1977814
FLASH COPY: 0
FAILED
ILLEGAL INSTRUCTION AT ADDRESS $00FFD25A4

FORCE BOOT FROM BACKUP? Y/N

Just something I thought of.

#39 ap11

ap11

GMC Member

• 104 posts

Posted 19 November 2008 - 05:34 PM

Ok, nice. What sort of clues though? It's going to be a platformer, remember, so it's hard to do depth perception and stuff like that.
By the way, I'm gonna make it so one piece will be in a graveyard, I might have undead, not sure about it though (if anything it'll be because of a "virus".

Perhaps the clues are hidden amongst certain enemies that you have to kill. Maybe they are all over the map, and you just collect them as you go along. The last piece could probably be protected by a boss. The clues could be pieces of parchment, ripped out of a secret book that tells you about the shotgun and various other myths of the game.

#40 Demonhawk

Demonhawk

GMC Member

• 723 posts

Posted 19 November 2008 - 09:37 PM

KERNEL PANIC MODE INTERRUPT
>>>>>>>\\STOP
CODE 1977814
FLASH COPY: 0
FAILED
ILLEGAL INSTRUCTION AT ADDRESS $00FFD25A4

FORCE BOOT FROM BACKUP? Y/N

Just something I thought of.

Yea, Something like that.

Perhaps the clues are hidden amongst certain enemies that you have to kill. Maybe they are all over the map, and you just collect them as you go along. The last piece could probably be protected by a boss. The clues could be pieces of parchment, ripped out of a secret book that tells you about the shotgun and various other myths of the game.

ok, that would work. By the way, when I said "If anything it'll be because of a 'virus'", I didn't mean a computer virus, I meant a disease type virus, like resident evil. What do you think?

Also, I need to work out where the main levels are... which is to do with where the turrets etc are.

(Results)

#41 ap11

ap11

GMC Member

• 104 posts

Posted 19 November 2008 - 10:48 PM

ok, that would work. By the way, when I said "If anything it'll be because of a 'virus'", I didn't mean a computer virus, I meant a disease type virus, like resident evil. What do you think?

Also, I need to work out where the main levels are... which is to do with where the turrets etc are.

Lol. You really want a comment on that virus don't you? Very well. You obviously need some sort of a cause for this virus...Aha! Perhaps the Glitch was supposed to be a special person from that city, but when he glitched, that whole city changed, and thus it is now "infected", or glitched. Or, maybe a curse was placed on the city because the people in it did something horrible, and were punished. Or maybe the people in it were practicing magic, and they all got together to create a spell that was supposed to cure the world of all ailments, including evil, but they weren't strong enough to maintain the spell, and the whole spell unraveled and reversed what it was that it was supposed to do, and created a blight on the city before anyone could contain or stop it.

Coming up with ideas for this game is so easy :) Now that I think about it, coming up with ideas for most games are easy.

#42 Demonhawk

Demonhawk

GMC Member

• 723 posts

Posted 20 November 2008 - 02:47 AM

wtf the quote button isn't working on this cpu, when I click it nothing happens

I wanted to clarify it too.
I really don't want to have magic. I just realized, you can't have zombies without a [working] shotgun, AND they aren't the enemies anyways... I don't think I'll include them. Now I sound like a killjoy. :P :) <_<

Edited by Demonhawk, 23 November 2008 - 10:09 AM.

(Results)

#43 Demonhawk

Demonhawk

GMC Member

• 723 posts

Posted 23 November 2008 - 10:11 AM

UPDATED THE STORY, read the first post in this topic. I'm working on the engine too, by the way, the main problem right now seems to be understanding a dialogue engine I found (I suck at programming too much to write my own, and I learn a bit like this anyways, AND its possible) and also getting some sprites.

(Results)

#44 ap11

ap11

GMC Member

• 104 posts

Posted 23 November 2008 - 08:03 PM

UPDATED THE STORY, read the first post in this topic. I'm working on the engine too, by the way, the main problem right now seems to be understanding a dialogue engine I found (I suck at programming too much to write my own, and I learn a bit like this anyways, AND its possible) and also getting some sprites.

Sweet! You used my idea (ideas - also if I could have credit in the game, it would be appreciated). I can probably make a few sprites for you, you should make a topic in the Graphics forum.

#45 Demonhawk

Demonhawk

GMC Member

• 723 posts

Posted 24 November 2008 - 06:46 AM

Sweet! You used my idea (ideas - also if I could have credit in the game, it would be appreciated). I can probably make a few sprites for you, you should make a topic in the Graphics forum.

Sure I'll give you credit. By the way I'm making a topic for sprites right now in the graphics forum, but I sorta need to work out what I want the characters to look like.

Edited by Demonhawk, 24 November 2008 - 07:34 AM.

(Results)

#46 amarti64

amarti64

GMC Member

• 191 posts

Posted 25 November 2008 - 02:44 PM

Here's a thought:

Just came to me from the top off my head ^_^

ap11

As you discover later in the game, the Glitch Discharge actually interrupted a scripted sequence involving one of the later levels. While the man using the classic "Come back when you've levelled up" (or some other kind of finger-wagging) was removed, most of the other parts of the level weren't fully initialized. This means you'll be facing an entire dungeon full of glitched enemies, keys that don't do quite what you expect, invisible walls, props that you've never seen before, and some areas which are completely sealed off unless you continue glitching the game. The problem is, the game is already unstable. Watch what you corrupt...

Edited by amarti64, 25 November 2008 - 02:46 PM.

#47 Demonhawk

Demonhawk

GMC Member

• 723 posts

Posted 26 November 2008 - 07:10 AM

Here's a thought:

Just came to me from the top off my head :P

ap11

As you discover later in the game, the Glitch Discharge actually interrupted a scripted sequence involving one of the later levels. While the man using the classic "Come back when you've levelled up" (or some other kind of finger-wagging) was removed, most of the other parts of the level weren't fully initialized. This means you'll be facing an entire dungeon full of glitched enemies, keys that don't do quite what you expect, invisible walls, props that you've never seen before, and some areas which are completely sealed off unless you continue glitching the game. The problem is, the game is already unstable. Watch what you corrupt...

First I'd have to add a new level.
By the way, I need some different ways for the knight to be around in the cutscenes, but not during the levels. Not during MOST of the levels, at least.

(Results)

#48 ap11

ap11

GMC Member

• 104 posts

Posted 26 November 2008 - 05:18 PM

Perhaps the Knight simply travels in the background? Whatever the Glitch does, the knight does too? Like, all the enemies are there, and the Knight slays them on his way, so it's kind of like watching a little movie of the Knight run and kill mosters? This could also give the possibility of teaming up when facing bosses without a cut-scene...

#49 Demonhawk

Demonhawk

GMC Member

• 723 posts

Posted 26 November 2008 - 09:29 PM

Perhaps the Knight simply travels in the background? Whatever the Glitch does, the knight does too? Like, all the enemies are there, and the Knight slays them on his way, so it's kind of like watching a little movie of the Knight run and kill mosters? This could also give the possibility of teaming up when facing bosses without a cut-scene...

I'm not going to actually have a background to travel in.

(Results)

#50 ap11

ap11

GMC Member

• 104 posts

Posted 27 November 2008 - 12:15 AM

I'm not going to actually have a background to travel in.

So...this isn't a platformer?