11 replies to this topic

#1 AffectedPestilence

AffectedPestilence

GMC Member

• 16 posts

Posted 12 October 2008 - 03:52 PM

Hi,
some questions here ..

1)I have a little problem with objects. For example, I set an life object and take it. If I die, the room should be
restarted but the object should be gone because I took it already. How to make the object disappear for the rest of the game if I took it ??

2) I' m wondering how to create Checkpoints during the game. When the character dies
he shouldn't restart the whole room but start from the checkpoint .

need answers ...

#2 Barrel_Roll

Barrel_Roll

GMC Member

• 156 posts

Posted 12 October 2008 - 04:31 PM

I'm not sure about the second question. But if you use a GML script, you can set the destroy_object to global and it should stay.

It should probably look like this. global.destroy_object()

I am 84% sure that will work.

Please feel free to correct me.

Edited by Barrel_Roll, 12 October 2008 - 04:34 PM.

Some people just play around with Game Maker. Others, strive for greatness. Yet though they try, many stumble and trip along the rough path. They turn here, to you, the experienced designers, for your guidance and wisdom, and expect just that. For those of you who believe that those who ask questions here are, in layman's terms, "stupid", you are more ignorant than you could possibly comprehend. Becuase everyone was at this stage of development and learning at a point in time, and it is foolish to redicule someone for this reason. Is encouragement and guidance not the best way to nuture young designers so they can sprout in to greater, more knowledgable designers. For all of those people who are on there way to greatness, just as I am, I wrote this for you.
Sam L.

If you believe in this philosophy, you may delete your signature and replace it with this.

#3 ragarnak

ragarnak

GMC Member

• GMC Elder
  • 19468 posts
  • Version:GM8

Posted 12 October 2008 - 04:38 PM

How to make the object disappear for the rest of the game if I took it ??

You have multiple options there.

I would suggest you do not destroy the player, but just move it, when it gets killed, back to its starting-position :
:(
X: xstart
Y: ystart

(eventually you can reset the player by creating a new one at those "xstart" and "ystart" coordinates and destroy the old one)

2) I' m wondering how to create Checkpoints during the game.

When you use the above method (with those "xstart" and "ystart" variables) you could, when your player collides with such a waypoint-object, just copy the current "x" and "y" into the "xstart" and "ystart" variables.

Hope that helps.

#4 AffectedPestilence

AffectedPestilence

GMC Member

• 16 posts

Posted 12 October 2008 - 04:42 PM

Hmm...
I don't feel safe to use scripts ^^
I have no experiences with scriptz and cannot work with them, for sure :(

#5 Rainsong

Rainsong

GMC Member

• 157 posts

Posted 12 October 2008 - 04:44 PM

1. I would create a global like maybe global.lifeObjectDisplay, have it set to true right when the game begins (say, creation code of title/menu room). Then, when it runs out, set it to false.

For the life object's event
If global.lifeObjectDisplay = false
{ instance_destroy() }

(I'm not gonna use a codebox for just 2 lines. >.>)

---

2. Maybe use a checkpoint object like the lamp posts in the sonic games. When the player collides with it, make an event that plays a 'checkpoint' sound, animates it a bit, and sets player coordinates.

Like, say, if you put the checkpoint at 1299, 583 then put in the CHECKPOINT's collission event (in caps because its important):

global.playerRespawnX = x
global.playerRespawnY = y

Then, in whatever event you have for player death (just use the room's creation code if death means room_restart() )

player.x = playerRespawnX
player.y = playerRespawnY

That'll put the player (if that's the player object's name) where the checkpoint is if he/she touched it before.
The ONLY thing I can think of that might be bad about this is that one can hit checkpoints out of order and that'd hurt more than help them.

(Guh... so many replies while I was posting. x_x; Well, now's a good time to learn, anyway. I would say implement the first one in code just to get used to it, seeing as it only takes like 2 or 3 lines. ^_~ )

Edited by Rainsong, 12 October 2008 - 04:46 PM.

#6 Barrel_Roll

Barrel_Roll

GMC Member

• 156 posts

Posted 12 October 2008 - 04:44 PM

Hmm...
I have no experiences with scriptz and cannot work with them, for sure :(

There may be a D&D equivalent, but I'm not going to look for it.

I'd listen to ragarnak, his thing will probably have less room for error than mine.

Edited by Barrel_Roll, 12 October 2008 - 04:46 PM.

Some people just play around with Game Maker. Others, strive for greatness. Yet though they try, many stumble and trip along the rough path. They turn here, to you, the experienced designers, for your guidance and wisdom, and expect just that. For those of you who believe that those who ask questions here are, in layman's terms, "stupid", you are more ignorant than you could possibly comprehend. Becuase everyone was at this stage of development and learning at a point in time, and it is foolish to redicule someone for this reason. Is encouragement and guidance not the best way to nuture young designers so they can sprout in to greater, more knowledgable designers. For all of those people who are on there way to greatness, just as I am, I wrote this for you.
Sam L.

If you believe in this philosophy, you may delete your signature and replace it with this.

#7 AffectedPestilence

AffectedPestilence

GMC Member

• 16 posts

Posted 12 October 2008 - 05:09 PM

The idea with the Posted Image (xstart , ystart )
is nice but when the player dies there is no transition and it looks not good. Can I make a transition effect by myself or
do I need to have the Pro Edition ??? :(

#8 ragarnak

ragarnak

GMC Member

• GMC Elder
  • 19468 posts

Posted 12 October 2008 - 05:20 PM

Can I make a transition effect by myself or

Ofcourse you can ! Even with the "light" version you can make all sorts of effects. Maybe not all of them, but several nonetheless. :(

#9 Chris32

Chris32

GMC Member

• 14 posts

Posted 27 October 2008 - 02:20 AM

I dont know about the fist one, but #2 is easy.

Object: character
Collision with checkpoint = save game, destroy object
button (your choice) = load game
OR
do the save game part, but instead you can do....
collision (object) = LIVES (Relative) -1, if lives is lower than 1 load game

I hope this helps!!!
- Chris32

#10 pandavenger

pandavenger

GMC Member

• 8 posts

Posted 13 July 2009 - 10:01 PM

And you call yourselves intermediate users! Just set the room to persistant so it'll stay the same always when you reenter/restart it. When the player beats the game just restart the game, the hiscores will still stay there but the rooms will be reset! There!

#11 ragarnak

ragarnak

GMC Member

• GMC Elder
  • 19468 posts

Posted 14 July 2009 - 03:35 AM

And you call yourselves intermediate users!

The last time I called myself that is a long time ago. ;)

Just set the room to persistant so it'll stay the same always when you reenter/restart it.

Doesn't that ("stay the same always") mean that the the dead player will stay where it is too, and won't be set back to its starting position ? :)

And a remark : didn't you notice that the question is about 8 months old (meaning that probably nobody will be looking for a solution anymore) ?

#12 kmcatie

kmcatie

GMC Member

• 2 posts
  • Version:Mac

Posted 04 April 2013 - 09:53 PM

Hmm...
I have no experiences with scriptz and cannot work with them, for sure dry.gif

I'm the same way. Im so confused :yucky:

While I respect the Judiath-Christian ethnic, as well as the eastern philosophies and of course the teachings of Muhammad, I find that organized religion has corrupted those beliefs, to justify countless atrocities throughout history, to where I attend church, i'd be a hypocrite. :thumbsup:  B)   :banana:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users