Posted 06 October 2008 - 05:28 PM

Sushi!
Waxy's Sushi Party

Posted Image

Posted Image Posted Image

Play on YoYoGames
Download

A simple, relaxing game.

A high-speed, high-fat 100% fresh heart-pounding fish-slapping arcade nightmare. Waxy must serve orders at a sushi restaurant while charging customers for their food, in order to gain huge tips, increase his prices and avoid being shouted at by the boss. A game of nerve, stress and multi-tasking, with English and Swedish language options available.

Presented in 860x480 widescreen, with high-saturation colourised hand-drawn graphics, original soundtrack by Hurtdeer, and high-quality stereo sound powered by Shaltif's SXMS module.

Controls, in-game:
  • Action buttons 1,2,3,4 : Z,X,C,V or Q,W,E,R
  • Deploy bonus : Arrow keys
  • Type bill contents : Numpad or number keys
  • Despatch bill : Enter
  • Pause : Escape

Controls, menu:
  • Accept : Z,X,C,V or Q,W,E,R
  • Back : Escape
  • Selection : Arrow keys

Please play all four lessons before starting a service. There are no known bugs except for a background issue on Vista machines which is being fixed, and a couple of balancing inconsistencies. We also expect to bring full language/translation support soon...

Enjoy.

Edited by Srehpog, 04 January 2010 - 04:44 PM.

#2 masterofhisowndomain

masterofhisowndomain

The Designer

• GMC Member
  • 3650 posts
  • Version:GM8.1

Posted 06 October 2008 - 07:04 PM

Will finish playing shortly, but for now I have to go. Looks absolutely fantastic I have to say, even the menu looked delicious.. :ph34r:

List Of Mods And Add-Ons

(Things you must try, for the games you already have)

Insightful links:
Higher Order Fun -- Game Design, Maths.
The Missing Concept -- Career/Hobby?
Neither Career Nor Hobby -- Career/Hobby?
Wario Land 4 Project -- Platformer design.

#3 naruto8foxkid

naruto8foxkid

Uber Anime Fan

• 403 posts

Posted 06 October 2008 - 07:12 PM

Looks like a lot of fun :ph34r:

#4 Raszlo

Raszlo

GMC Member

• 44 posts

Posted 06 October 2008 - 11:18 PM

A simple, relaxing game(...) of nerve, stress and multi-tasking.

Interesting :ph34r:
I don't like this kind of games, but the graphics are nice.

#5 Sindarin

Sindarin

Indie Game Developer

• 1644 posts
  • Version:GM:HTML5

Posted 07 October 2008 - 07:26 AM

This is a cool graphic style, though InstantPlay doesn't work for me and the download link doesn't show up. Can you please provide an alternative download location?
GM 8.1 / GM:HTML5 User

#6 Srehpog

Srehpog

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 161 posts
  • Version:GM8

Posted 07 October 2008 - 08:14 AM

Sindarin, try here for now. Good luck!

Thanks for the positive feedback, everyone. If you find anything you don't like, let me know.

#7 masterofhisowndomain

masterofhisowndomain

The Designer

• GMC Member
  • 3650 posts

Posted 07 October 2008 - 04:01 PM

Okay I played it and my thoughts:
It's quite a simple concept but very well executed. Reminds me somewhat of Ore No Ryomi series, which is really not a bad thing, except the graphics are a lot better. I don't quite know if the gameplay can ever be as addictive as that game (since there aren't as many incentives or quite as varied gameplay (ie. greater variety of foods etc.)), but I found myself playing it for quite awhile. The gameplay is difficult (found myself thoroughly pleased at maintaining the restaurant at level 30. on easy..), but rarely frustrating.
The game was very polished; glitches were completely absent and the game looked really very professional. I wouldn't suggest it was commercial, because for me there just wasn't enough content to provide hours worth of gameplay. :ph34r:

List Of Mods And Add-Ons

Insightful links:

#8 Srehpog

Srehpog

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 161 posts

Posted 10 October 2008 - 08:28 AM

Thanks, masterofhisowndomain. I still need to do a bit more balancing to ensure the game gets difficult enough even if players don't level-up often, which would address the problem of the game sitting at the same or similar levels for a long time and nothing much changing. Ideally players should be levelling-up up to 10 times per 90-second service, but I don't think this happens in practice.

As for difficulty, I was originally going to include more things to do in parallel, but half the feedback suggests it's almost too complex, and half suggests it's almost too simple... so, yeah. :P

#9 Pater Alf

Pater Alf

GMC Member

• 1 posts

Posted 10 October 2008 - 10:01 AM

I can't play this game. I can start it and get the title screen and can enter the menu without any problems (but there's no music or sounds at all which should probably be there). But when I start a lesson or the "real game" the game hangs up. I still can see the background, but that's all...:P

Any ideas what I can do about it?

I'm playing on 1.7 Ghz, 512 MB Ram machine with Windows XP (SP2).

#10 masterofhisowndomain

masterofhisowndomain

The Designer

• GMC Member
  • 3650 posts

Posted 10 October 2008 - 03:08 PM

I can't play this game. I can start it and get the title screen and can enter the menu without any problems (but there's no music or sounds at all which should probably be there). But when I start a lesson or the "real game" the game hangs up. I still can see the background, but that's all...:P

Any ideas what I can do about it?

I'm playing on 1.7 Ghz, 512 MB Ram machine with Windows XP (SP2).

I found I could run the game perfectly on a laptop not designed for gaming, so I doubt that your computer lacks enough power or memory. Have you gone to Options and fiddled with the settings before opening a lesson..?

List Of Mods And Add-Ons

Insightful links:

#11 Alex Kidd

Alex Kidd

GMC Member

• 13 posts

Posted 10 October 2008 - 06:27 PM

This is a very cool game! With artistic graphics, fantastic by the way. Excellent gameplay and very prototype. It's fun, hehe, you must be quick to play it! A commercial-level game. :P

Edited by Alex Kidd, 10 October 2008 - 06:28 PM.

#12 YoMamasMama

YoMamasMama

Your Grandma

• 437 posts

Posted 10 October 2008 - 06:44 PM

Looks fantastic and plays fantastic. I love the fact that it tests your multitasking skills, and that it so accurately reproduces the sense of urgency of food service jobs. When you get an order wrong you actually fear getting fired - awesome.

Really really really love this game. Great work.
~ Matt Makes Games ~
Click above for my games, including Jumper Three, Hold Off Red, An Untitled Story, and FLaiL.
An Untitled Story GMC topic
FLaiL GMC topic
Jumper Three GMC Topic
~ EO ~ MMGF ~

#13 GameGeisha

GameGeisha

GameGeisha

• GMC Member
  • 6565 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 11 October 2008 - 06:58 PM

A simple, relaxing game.

Simple, yes. Relaxing? Not quite. It's one hectic game.

I'm currently playing at level 39 now, and I seemed to like this game a lot more than Rocket Party. This creation reminds me of Ore no Ryomi and the game with the taiko on the DS.

Gameplay: I personally liked this game quite a bit. The pace is fast, and due to the epidemic of the calculator dependency syndrome, I'm sure that many people will find the mental math (for handling bills) way too difficult to deal with. But I'm perfectly fine with that, since it's fun and I can recite the multiplication table forwards and backwards. 8/10

Graphics: I see that you have greatly improved the appearance of your games. The graphics for Waxy's last party were a bit dark and too gloomy, and the 800px window height was also an issue. It's good that you've addressed both issues. And I loved how you animated your new logo. 9/10

Sounds: The background music was great and highly fitting. However, I found that Waxy's soundless sushi-making was a bit weird compared to his exaggerated knife movements. 8/10

Overall: 8.3/10

I certainly look forward to the next game in the party series. Ganbatte-kudasai, Waxy!

GameGeisha

PS: There's a little bug with the scoreboard while dealing with 3- and 4-digit numbers. See this for a screenshot. I'm sure you won't have a hard time dealing with it, right? By the way, I played the game on a Vista laptop and had no visible issue with backgrounds.
Latest Releases:
  • GMLinear --- Matrix and vector math in one line!
  • GMAssert --- Debug invalid values and write quick unit tests with ease!
  • KameGMS --- Bring up TortoiseSVN and TortoiseGit dialogs from within the GMS IDE!
  • JSOnion v1.1 --- The stink-free way to handle JSON! (even deeply nested ones)

#14 iarwain

iarwain

GMC Member

• 9 posts

Posted 12 October 2008 - 07:17 AM

Excellent game, congratulations!
I really enjoy the game mechanics. However I think there are a couple of light issues. So far I played only 4 games: 2 in easy level, 1 in normal and 1 in hard. My last game was in easy level and lasted about 2 hours (I stopped because difficulty doesn't increase and I got a bit bored after such a long period :D ).

The first issue concerns the difficulty that doesn't increase after a while, at least in easy mode, but I guess it's the same in the other modes.

Nothing forces the player to increase the price of the sushis. So I just stop at a price of 100 for each kind of sushi, which makes the math part very easy. After 2 hours of play, the sushi price is ridiculously low compared to the money waxy makes (I made ~ 1 100 000 000 yens in my last service, before stopping). As the speed of coming orders is also limited, there's no difficulty increase coming from your current level (I stopped at level 988 816). So this gameplay balance is for me the biggest issue so far.

Now there are a couple of technical issues resulting from long plays such as the one I described. For example, when activating the extra money bonus (the one with the Yen symbol), so many coins are generated on display that my computer lagged for more than 90 seconds on my last bonus (I have an Athlon x2 6400+ / 2 GB / GeForce 8800GT). This is already a bit annoying, but as your computer lags to display all these coins (a upper limit would be welcome :P ), the music continues normally. Actually the music even ended while I was still lagging from my bonus, and I played the remaining 3/4 of the service with no music at all. This makes a bit hard to spot when the end of service arrives (as we have to look at the clock and can't relay anymore to the music indication).

That's pretty much it! ;) Of course, fixing the difficulty balance will hide the technical issue I mentionned, but having a limited number of coins generated when bonus are spawned would even be better.

Oh and congratulations for allowing scores higher than 2^32. ;) I played to go beyond this 32bit limit to see if you had a bug on this one, but it ran perfectly. You can find below 2 screenshots: one when it lags with the bonus and one I took just before testing the 32bit limit. I stopped playing the service after.

Again, these are small issues, so congratulations for this very good and really polished game!! :(

Posted Image

Posted Image
Posted Image Looking for a free, open-source, portable and data-driven 2D-oriented game engine? Pay us a visit at orx-project.org! =)

#15 DarkFlame

DarkFlame

GMB Member...wtf?

• GMC Member
  • 2167 posts

Posted 12 October 2008 - 08:34 AM

All i want to ask is, what image editor did you use?

#16 EasyBeak

EasyBeak

GMC Member

• 87 posts

Posted 12 October 2008 - 09:43 AM

You've got some real unique graphics there.

#17 DarkFlame

DarkFlame

GMB Member...wtf?

• GMC Member
  • 2167 posts

Posted 12 October 2008 - 10:02 AM

You've got some real unique graphics there.

I wouldn't say unique, just hard to come by.

#18 EasyBeak

EasyBeak

GMC Member

• 87 posts

Posted 13 October 2008 - 05:55 AM

I wouldn't say unique, just hard to come by.

That's the one.

#19 Noir

Noir

GMC Member

• 590 posts

Posted 13 October 2008 - 08:18 PM

Wow, very nice! I absolutely love the graphics. It's not as complex as stuff like Ore No Ryomi, but it's a nice game with a good concept. Pretty awesome! I'd give it a 9.5/10, as I did think there could have been a bit more music (possibly), but then, that's just me :) Excellent game.

~Noir

#20 Kajio

Kajio

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 2537 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 13 October 2008 - 10:13 PM

Woah, looks good and the reviews sound nice (I'm waiting for load now). It's a little too bad people are comparing it to Ore No Ryomi... but maybe it's more similar than I think...

Yeah, it's really rather different. You still make food, but the gameplay's quite dissimilar.

I was able to get a quarter million Yen, and lvl 98 (so close to 100 >.<) on easy. It was kinda too bad because it was just one day with a few mistakes when before I was going pretty good(had a couple perfect days). Something should be done that let's you have a rather poor performance after several good ones. I mean, if you do really poorly for just one day, your boss will warn you right?

It's a great game, even though even on easy it's a little hectic at first (It should just be a little slower for the first day and pick up the speed to normal after a few days). That's my only real complaint, otherwise it's perfect. Gameplay is great. It's pretty simple, but it has a bit of a twist with the inability to see the markers all the time.

Oh, you may want to explain powerups more...

The graphics style is something I've yet to see, and they are really charming.

9/10 Near perfect, my man!

A good tip that I think helped me with the bills was to keep the price at 100 for all the sushi. It makes quick multiplication and addition a little easier when you only have to deal with one digit. Really, doing: 150x3+150x2=750 isn't that hard, but when you have to do it in a fraction of a second so as not to lose other orders, it becomes a little harder.

#21 Srehpog

Srehpog

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 161 posts

Posted 16 October 2008 - 08:24 PM

Really really really love this game. Great work.

Thanks YMM - that's high praise indeed.

The first issue concerns the difficulty that doesn't increase after a while, at least in easy mode, but I guess it's the same in the other modes. Nothing forces the player to increase the price of the sushis. So I just stop at a price of 100 for each kind of sushi, which makes the math part very easy.

I'm impressed you played for a full 2 hours, but as you say, there isn't an intuitive 'end game' situation which players necessarily arrive at - I aimed to balance the difficulty so that players would top out at about Lv.100, but clearly this doesn't work in all cases. To be honest, balancing was the last major issue I was worried about on release, mainly - believe it or not - whether the game would be too difficult. So, for the next version I'll include something I was going to put in in the first place but left deactivated. It won't be popular, but it does improve the balance, I think. Thanks for raising this though - this is definitely an exploit which effectively renders high-scores meaningless... I just didn't think anyone would reach it. :)

A good tip that I think helped me with the bills was to keep the price at 100 for all the sushi. It makes quick multiplication and addition a little easier when you only have to deal with one digit.

Yes, this is currently the easiest way to achieve ridiculous high-scores... so in the next version this will, sadly, no longer be possible. I've tested the changes and it does make the game harder, but I think a little tighter and in a way more tactical.

Thanks for the feedback, all of you - a lot of helpful comments and good insights into how people play this. I'll fix the technical issues raised and bring you a slightly cleaner game with the next version.

You'll hate this if you're not good at the bills, but... well, so does Waxy. It's the Boss's orders. :/

Thanks everyone!

#22 iarwain

iarwain

GMC Member

• 9 posts

Posted 17 October 2008 - 12:09 AM

Thanks for the feedback, all of you - a lot of helpful comments and good insights into how people play this. I'll fix the technical issues raised and bring you a slightly cleaner game with the next version.

You'll hate this if you're not good at the bills, but... well, so does Waxy. It's the Boss's orders. :/

Thanks everyone!

Thanks for making the game in the first place! :)

As for the bills, here's a simple thought. I didn't give it much reflexion, but wouldn't be a good thing to emphasize user controlled-difficulty on bills: the more risks the players takes, the higher the rewards. Basically, if he wants to score more, he has to increase the prices of the sushis, making it more and more difficult to bill. And on the other side, having a game-controlled difficulty increasing every time a service is achieved. This could be done on the orders mechanic: they could come faster and be more frequent. As this difficulty increase is not dependant on user-choice, it'll get more and more difficult whatever the player does. Of course, after a while it'd be too fast to follow, except maybe for mutants (the ones that can play highest speeds of tetris in highest difficulty levels :D ).

Also, in order to achieve the very high score I had on my screenshot, puting the sushi price at 100 was only the base, but it's not exactly the "exploit" itself. Even if you have a mechanic to fix this, the problem comes with the bonus that cancels a bill: it's very very (probably too?) powerful!

Actually, what I did was to wait in order to stack 2 or more of these bonuses ready at a beginning of one service. Then I activate the first one, wait till the bill expires (not validating it manually!), scoring bigger and bigger tips at the same time.
As tips don't reinit to their default starting value when you cancel a bill (maybe it's here something should be done?), I was then activating the next bonus waiting again for the end of the timer (this makes the bills come at a slowest frequency than just validating them right away). At the end of the 3rd or 4th bill-cancel bonus, you score *huge* tips and you can validate this exponential amount when you run out of bill-canceling bonuses by then validating normally a bill.

Not sure if it's very understandable, sorry for my limited English! :D If you want a better description, feel free to contact me directly!

Edited by iarwain, 17 October 2008 - 12:10 AM.

Posted Image Looking for a free, open-source, portable and data-driven 2D-oriented game engine? Pay us a visit at orx-project.org! =)

#23 svengerencir

svengerencir

GMC Member

• 3 posts

Posted 18 October 2008 - 02:00 PM

The game is great, though after 7 hours of playing it it gets kind of boring.
But I think it was worth it,here is my best score on normal(I think it cannot go better than this):
http://img252.images...ighscoredr7.png

#24 Srehpog

Srehpog

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 161 posts

Posted 19 October 2008 - 05:07 PM

Sushi! V1.10
Updated: 19.10.2008

Posted Image

Play & Download on YoYoGames

New version!

Changes/Fixes:
  • 'Button 1' now explained in the first tutorial.
  • Background error fixed?
  • Music updated - now includes a warning sound near the end of service.
  • Coins effect limited to 30-40 particles at once. You can still disable effects from the Options menu.
  • Score display errors fixed.
  • Rank severity and tips increase logic re-balanced. 'Taking off' over Lv.100 is now impossible.
  • Big change: sushi price capacity rule added (see below).

New rule: sushi price raising is compulsory!

As the text-box says, you must now use ALL your price-raise credit at the end of a service, or the remainder will be added to the sushi prices independently. It is still possible to keep the numbers relatively easy, but now requires a little more tactical thought in terms of when and how to raise prices on each sushi item. You could, for instance still try to keep them similar, or you could pile all your credit into a single sushi item. Be aware that the restaurant allows Waxy to slightly overcharge customers if he's feeling confident and they're in a good mood. You may not have to enter exactly the right price... it's up to you to find the balance and nerve to play with the boundaries, if you like. Makes adding things up a little simpler sometimes...

Also, in order to achieve the very high score I had on my screenshot, puting the sushi price at 100 was only the base, but it's not exactly the "exploit" itself. Even if you have a mechanic to fix this, the problem comes with the bonus that cancels a bill: it's very very (probably too?) powerful!

Yes, this is basically my own strategy for getting large tips. I don't think it's too exploitative, as it relies on the player collecting enough of the right bonuses to be able to deploy them like this, and their use is limited to a single service, so it doesn't overly affect scores later - or, that would be true if the tips vs. difficulty balance was a little better adjusted, which hopefully it is now. Resetting tips on blocked bills is already in the game code as an option, I just left it disabled as I thought it provided a good reward mechanic for anyone who found it, especially as the bonuses (or their most effective uses) aren't explained anywhere, so it's something of a discovery. Thanks for the detailed feedback though - see how you like the randomisation rule! :P

Thanks to everyone commenting and playing on YoYo - it's a great help!

Keep fresh!

Posted Image

Edited by Srehpog, 06 March 2009 - 10:43 AM.

#25 e_barroga

e_barroga

ES Studios Leader

• GMC Member
  • 2475 posts

Posted 20 May 2009 - 04:22 PM

I think this has commercial potential.

So many diner dash clones out there, it won't hurt if you tried atleast.

rsa_gmc_sig.png

logoGIF1.gif EXTENSION. PM TO PURCHASE LICENSE.