#101 rinkuhero

rinkuhero

Paul Eres

• GMC Member
  • 1919 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 28 September 2008 - 05:52 PM

No Soldexus? No Coldgearz? No Wubly?

A lot of people would be surprised how many great GM games there are. Cutting it down to 100 is terribly difficult! I believe soldexus and wubly are on the 'possibilities' list still -- I haven't heard of Coldgearz, do you have a link?

#102 Necromian

Necromian

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1000 posts

Posted 28 September 2008 - 06:32 PM

http://gmc.yoyogames...howtopic=194581

It's graphics aren't too amazing by today's standards, but that doesn't stop it from being a great game.
Some Completed Games and Programs:

Grid Defender 2 Sequel to the staff picked game at yoyogames!

Sig Maker V.5 "10/10","Products match Photoshop CS3, take less time and effort"

Perfection "This really surprised me. I can't think of a single negative thing to say" - Kmetamorphosis

Super Big Gun Adventure! The self-proclaimed cult classic!

Cult Symbol Maker "9.5/10","9/10","I like it! Good work!" - JTR

You can find all 30+ programs at www.nfyre.com

#103 rinkuhero

rinkuhero

Paul Eres

• GMC Member
  • 1919 posts

Posted 28 September 2008 - 06:46 PM

http://gmc.yoyogames...howtopic=194581

It's graphics aren't too amazing by today's standards, but that doesn't stop it from being a great game.

Thanks, will look into it. I'm nearly done with the video though, I actually only have room for five more (the next time I update the video it'll be 100/100).

#104 skinnyeddy

skinnyeddy

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 312 posts

Posted 28 September 2008 - 07:09 PM

What about Crimelife, Icarus flight or Elemence Aux

#105 rinkuhero

rinkuhero

Paul Eres

• GMC Member
  • 1919 posts

Posted 28 September 2008 - 07:11 PM

I played the first two and didn't like them at all, sorry. The third one I haven't tried, but its screenshot looks pretty horrible to me (no offense to the game's creator).

#106 skinnyeddy

skinnyeddy

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 312 posts

Posted 28 September 2008 - 07:29 PM

I played the first two and didn't like them at all, sorry. The third one I haven't tried, but its screenshot looks pretty horrible to me (no offense to the game's creator).

I can agree with you on crimelife and Icarus Flight, its just that they seem to be pretty popular and might be good inclusions. Elemence Aux however is a great game, the screenshot doesn't do it justice.

#107 rinkuhero

rinkuhero

Paul Eres

• GMC Member
  • 1919 posts

Posted 28 September 2008 - 09:27 PM

I can agree with you on crimelife and Icarus Flight, its just that they seem to be pretty popular and might be good inclusions. Elemence Aux however is a great game, the screenshot doesn't do it justice.

They are popular *at the moment* and *on the GMC*, yes, but: 1) the games I picked are largely classics that have stood the test of time, they aren't just games which will be popular for a few months and then forgotten, they're games that people will probably still remember decades from now, and 2) being popular on the GMC doesn't mean much if nobody outside of the GMC or YoYo plays them, and the games I picked are largely games which have found a significant audience of people who don't even know what Game Maker is. So I think the standards for inclusion you mention may be too GMC-focused, and this isn't a video that caters to the tastes of the GMC, it's a video which caters to the tastes of the wider public outside of the people who use Game Maker.

And I'll try out Elemence Aux I guess, but the screenshot really looks bad, it's so saturated that it hurts the eyes.

Edited by rinkuhero, 28 September 2008 - 09:28 PM.

#108 Mordi

Mordi

Maker of Menus

• 3635 posts

Posted 28 September 2008 - 09:27 PM

Logigun!

Logigun topic
The link works, although it is closed.

#109 rinkuhero

rinkuhero

Paul Eres

• GMC Member
  • 1919 posts

Posted 29 September 2008 - 07:55 AM

Done.

http://vimeo.com/1837957

The new games are:

cute knight
arms
jumper 3
paragon
orbit racers
q u i e s c e n c e
robbie swifthand and the orb of mysteries
mighty jill off
johnny's nightmare
valence
la la land 5
gems
samurai railroad mansion
the jeluvian project
ninja <3 pirate
the crypts of despair
runman: monster fracas
infection
soldexus
so
coldgearz
mission extreme

#110 xot

xot

GMC Dismember

• GMC Elder
  • 4785 posts

Posted 29 September 2008 - 08:02 AM

Wow, way to go, rinkuhero! This is such a nice project you've done for the community, major kudos to you for seeing it through. I love it.
GMLscripts.com, rise from your grave!

If any of my posts contain broken images or links, I can probably supply them for you. PM with a link to the post.

#111 FredFredrickson

FredFredrickson

Artist

• Global Moderators
  • 9225 posts

Posted 29 September 2008 - 08:06 AM

I wasn't aware that Ninja <3 Pirate was ever finished.

#112 rinkuhero

rinkuhero

Paul Eres

• GMC Member
  • 1919 posts

Posted 29 September 2008 - 08:08 AM

I wasn't aware that Ninja <3 Pirate was ever finished.

It wasn't, but I think production has stopped? The reason I didn't want to include unfinished games was because it wouldn't be representative of what the game would look like when it is finished, but if a game is abandoned and unlikely to be finished, that isn't an issue.

#113 Timoi

Timoi

Genie Games

• Validating
  • 576 posts

Posted 29 September 2008 - 08:33 AM

A brilliant video, well done Rinkuhero.

Funnily enough I'd actually heard of a few games in it which I didn't even know had been made in Game Maker!
My Games
PLAN-iT: "It's addictive and has amazing gameplay, well done." "AWESOME GAME!"
Evasion: "Not bad, seemed to me first very simple but its not. " "Very nice game"

Seen a game made with Game Maker in a magazine or newspaper, or on the TV? Then add it to the list of GM Games In Mainstream Media on the YYG Wiki. Currently lists 22 sightings.

#114 rinkuhero

rinkuhero

Paul Eres

• GMC Member
  • 1919 posts

Posted 29 September 2008 - 08:38 AM

I now have it up on YouTube as well: http://www.youtube.c...h?v=bdgQyOIyWPY

It's lower quality, but if you have a YouTube account you might want to favorite it and rate it so that other people can find it (YouTube has far more users than Vimeo, so it's more likely for people to come across it there).

#115 King Tetiro

King Tetiro

King of Orenna

• GMC Member
  • 2549 posts

Posted 29 September 2008 - 10:03 AM

Congrats on completing it. Anymore ideas for videos?

If I have provided feedback on a game of yours, it would be epic if you do the same!
LND_Twitter_Icon.png Leon_Topic_Icon.png

Leon [PC]  | |Texture Page Calculator for GMStudio | Analog Sticks for GMStudio

#116 Tepi

Tepi

GMC Member

• Global Moderators
  • 4248 posts

Posted 29 September 2008 - 10:08 AM

Wow that was a cool 10 minutes! :lol:

If only there were names given, I'd have some idea to search for the games that look that good. I think the vast majority of those games were something I had never seen before (lazy me). On the other hand, it made me feel that my 2D games suck ass big time. :)

Good job, rinkuhero.

#117 rinkuhero

rinkuhero

Paul Eres

• GMC Member
  • 1919 posts

Posted 29 September 2008 - 10:17 AM

Congrats on completing it. Anymore ideas for videos?

I may do one for the Ohrrpgce engine (which is the game engine I used before Game Maker) or one for independent games in general, but I'll probably spend more time working on my current game project first.

#118 erty906

erty906

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 340 posts

Posted 29 September 2008 - 10:51 AM

Excellent choices ! Especially La La Land 5.

#119 KC LC

KC LC

Ex-Administrator

• GMC Elder
  • 5309 posts

Posted 29 September 2008 - 11:02 AM

That's a fun video. :) I'm inspired to try some of those games.

Unfortunately for me, I rarely play any games so I'm not sure I can match the video segment to a particular game. Are they shown in the order you listed them (in your first post)?
Geometricks 3D Rendering Demo / In Silico 3D Kinematics Simulation
Warped Space 3D Gravity Simulation / Surface Explorer Animated Surface Demo
Oscilloscope Animated Lissajous Figures

Featured Games at YoYo: Drop in the Bucket, Tut's Test(3rd place competition winner)

Older games at: Flying Banjo Games

#120 rinkuhero

rinkuhero

Paul Eres

• GMC Member
  • 1919 posts

Posted 29 September 2008 - 11:03 AM

That's a fun video. :) I'm inspired to try some of those games.

Unfortunately for me, I rarely play any games so I'm not sure I can match the video segment to a particular game. Are they shown in the order you listed them (in your first post)?

Yes, they're shown in that order. Eventually I'll update them to include time signatures, but right now it's still easy enough to determine when a game is because they each get 6 seconds (i.e. the game starting at 2:00 is the 20th game, the game starting at 7:00 is the 70th game).

#121 erty906

erty906

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 340 posts

Posted 29 September 2008 - 11:05 AM

Where can I find Arms ?

#122 rinkuhero

rinkuhero

Paul Eres

• GMC Member
  • 1919 posts

Posted 29 September 2008 - 11:06 AM

Where can I find Arms ?

http://www.thepoppen...ame=3 Hour Comp

It's the one by cactus.

That's also one of my favorite clips from this video.

Edited by rinkuhero, 29 September 2008 - 11:07 AM.

#123 -Oakleaf-

-Oakleaf-

Whipslash

• GMC Member
  • 1420 posts

Posted 29 September 2008 - 11:24 AM

Yee! Finally here!

Great job, Rinkuhero.

#124 andrew_berge

andrew_berge

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 732 posts

Posted 29 September 2008 - 03:12 PM

Nice, you should put it up for download or something, if someone wants to show it to other people occasionally it takes a while to load (Fortunately i have realplayer).
Very nice.
andrew_berge

#125 Coffee

Coffee

Light and Sweet

• GMC Member
  • 2351 posts

Posted 29 September 2008 - 03:16 PM

Sweet video. :)

Wish I'd known about this sooner, would have tried to get Senseless War in there. Still, cool video. ::lmao::

vmh.png Come Play Hungry Hungry Frogs!

#126 Tumetsu

Tumetsu

GMC Member

• 433 posts

Posted 29 September 2008 - 03:39 PM

Very good job Rinkuhero! I still miss names of games (it would be very useful for authors and new people interested GM) but it worked well when I copied names to notepad and kept it next of the video to check names. :)
Posted Image

#127 Erik Leppen

Erik Leppen

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 2751 posts

Posted 29 September 2008 - 04:19 PM

Favorited on YouTube :)

It's a great video. I'll take the time to watch the entire 10 minutes with sound on.

promo_briquidmini_500x150.png

#128 Flipbee9

Flipbee9

The Stinger

• 1533 posts

Posted 29 September 2008 - 05:26 PM

Hopefully berzies will be on that list when we finish
GM User Since 07

#129 redfeild

redfeild

GMC Member

• 470 posts

Posted 29 September 2008 - 05:27 PM

Nice! I'm gonna fave this on Youtube when I get home!

And you can watch stuff on Youtube in high quality by clicking watch this in high quality or by adding &fmt=18 to the end of the address.
Posted Image Legalize it Posted Image

#130 rinkuhero

rinkuhero

Paul Eres

• GMC Member
  • 1919 posts

Posted 29 September 2008 - 05:39 PM

Nice, you should put it up for download or something, if someone wants to show it to other people occasionally it takes a while to load (Fortunately i have realplayer).
Very nice.

You can download it from the Vimeo page. Scroll down until you see the "Downloads" section near the bottom right corner.

#131 andrew_berge

andrew_berge

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 732 posts

Posted 29 September 2008 - 08:47 PM

Very nice.

You can download it from the Vimeo page. Scroll down until you see the "Downloads" section near the bottom right corner.

I didn't see that, thanks.

Edited by andrew_berge, 29 September 2008 - 08:48 PM.

andrew_berge

#132 rinkuhero

rinkuhero

Paul Eres

• GMC Member
  • 1919 posts

Posted 29 September 2008 - 08:49 PM

Just a note: I updated the list with time signatures and links to each game. It should be easier now to try out some (or all!) of the games in that video.

#133 I.Q. of Spam

I.Q. of Spam

Jenius

• GMC Member
  • 356 posts

Posted 29 September 2008 - 08:52 PM

Interesting project you have here. I don't know exactly why you did this, but maybe Mark will give you a call now.

My main criticism (other than seeing a Mr. Kubus game in there) is that the music was annoying. Maybe it's just me, but I didn't like it much, so I watched most of the video without sound.
Studies show that 96% of people believe every statistic they read.

#134 rinkuhero

rinkuhero

Paul Eres

• GMC Member
  • 1919 posts

Posted 29 September 2008 - 08:56 PM

Interesting project you have here. I don't know exactly why you did this, but maybe Mark will give you a call now.

My main criticism (other than seeing a Mr. Kubus game in there) is that the music was annoying. Maybe it's just me, but I didn't like it much, so I watched most of the video without sound.

I've strange taste in music I guess :)

I think a Mr. Kubus game being in it was important, since he's an important figure in Game Maker "history", and his games aren't really horrible in all ways (they're kind of funny). Not including him would be like not including a Shawn64 game or something.

As for why I did it, there were a lot of reasons, but the main one was that I just thought it'd be an interesting project and I was tired of doing nothing all the time, so I wanted to do a quick but challenging project to get me into "doing stuff" mode again.

#135 thebogeyman

thebogeyman

The Boogey Man

• 514 posts

Posted 29 September 2008 - 10:45 PM

The finished version is very good. I watched I think 35/100, but I decided to wait until it was done to watch it again and comment.

A few things I'd like to point out...First, the music cut off is kind of strange. And second, it isn't technically 10 minutes (a few seconds longer, right?) although that isn't a big deal at all. I'm not sure how strict the other "100 games in 10 minutes" are, but I thought I'd throw it out there.

I think overall your choice of games to put in was pretty good. As with most people on here, there are games I would/wouldn't have liked to see on here, but I understand it's not a video of "best games", more like a showcase of good/memorable/important games.

So all in all it turned out pretty well in my opinion. My only real gripe is that the music really has a noticeable cut off at the end.

Edited by thebogeyman, 29 September 2008 - 10:46 PM.

#136 rinkuhero

rinkuhero

Paul Eres

• GMC Member
  • 1919 posts

Posted 29 September 2008 - 10:54 PM

The finished version is very good. I watched I think 35/100, but I decided to wait until it was done to watch it again and comment.

A few things I'd like to point out...First, the music cut off is kind of strange. And second, it isn't technically 10 minutes (a few seconds longer, right?) although that isn't a big deal at all. I'm not sure how strict the other "100 games in 10 minutes" are, but I thought I'd throw it out there.

I think overall your choice of games to put in was pretty good. As with most people on here, there are games I would/wouldn't have liked to see on here, but I understand it's not a video of "best games", more like a showcase of good/memorable/important games.

So all in all it turned out pretty well in my opinion. My only real gripe is that the music really has a noticeable cut off at the end.

It's actually 10:00 exactly when I uploaded it, but for some reason Vimeo's converting process adds a second or so.

It's hard to get music that doesn't cut off, because the music can't really be fit into exactly 10 minutes very well. I tried to pick four tracks which would add up to around 10 minutes, and I think it came pretty close, if the last one was cut off suddenly, it was only a second or two that was lost.

#137 NAL

NAL

HELLO MOTHER ༼ つ ◕3◕ ༽つ

• GMC Elder
  • 880 posts

Posted 29 September 2008 - 11:03 PM

Good job on the video as a whole. Nice to see it's already been getting attention from elsewhere (the entry about it on TIGSource springs to mind). It's entertaining to watch and there're some games I now have to play because of it.

Great going. :)

Posted Image

#138 KC LC

KC LC

Ex-Administrator

• GMC Elder
  • 5309 posts

Posted 30 September 2008 - 12:52 AM

Just a note: I updated the list with time signatures and links to each game. It should be easier now to try out some (or all!) of the games in that video.

Above and beyond the call of duty. :) Thanks. I'm going to try some of these games now.

Featured Games at YoYo: Drop in the Bucket, Tut's Test(3rd place competition winner)

#139 Andy

Andy

GMC Veteran

• GMC Member
  • 1988 posts

Posted 30 September 2008 - 01:04 AM

I am excited to see that Coldgearz is on the list Rinkuhero. Although it is not some top 100 games countdown, (which honestly Coldgearz would not deserve to be in,) it means some have still remembered my work. You picked out some very nice games, - including a favorites of mine like; So, Ija, Mission Extreme – the list goes on. Hopefully this collection will show people how much Game Maker has allowed people creative control. I support this video, and not just because my game was in it! :)

Please visit my website, Andygames.com today!

#140 rinkuhero

rinkuhero

Paul Eres

• GMC Member
  • 1919 posts

Posted 30 September 2008 - 03:58 PM

Another note: Vimeo deleted it because it feels that videos of games are not "creative" enough. So it's now up on YouTube instead, exclusively.

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=bdgQyOIyWPY

#141 flexaplex

flexaplex

GMC Member

• Global Moderators
  • 4814 posts
  • Version:GM8

Posted 30 September 2008 - 04:31 PM

I've only every enjoyed 2 GM games (both not on the list) enough to complete them:

reflexion
Cubic conundrum

The video makes them look better than they are :lol:

Btw couldn't you of put the game name and a link actually in the video? It was very nicely made though apart from that.
:]

#142 rinkuhero

rinkuhero

Paul Eres

• GMC Member
  • 1919 posts

Posted 30 September 2008 - 04:33 PM

I've only every enjoyed 2 GM games (both not on the list) enough to complete them:

reflexion
Cubic conundrum

The video makes them look better than they are :lol:

Btw couldn't you of put the game name and a link actually in the video? It was very nicely made though apart from that.

I could have, but I chose not to because I thought it'd distract from the video to see the name of the game on top of it. The brain can't focus on so many things at once, and too much information sometimes reduces the experience, and words tend to take you from concrete experiential mode into abstract name-using mode.

#143 flexaplex

flexaplex

GMC Member

• Global Moderators
  • 4814 posts

Posted 30 September 2008 - 04:35 PM

Hmm I think the benefit of knowing which game is which outweighs that drawback quite easily. I think people will relate to the video a lot better and at the end most people will be thinking "what was that game I saw that looked good, I would probably like to play it but I can't be bothered looking through the video again to find the time I saw it and calculating the game it must be from a list".

Edited by flexaplex, 30 September 2008 - 04:40 PM.

:]

#144 rinkuhero

rinkuhero

Paul Eres

• GMC Member
  • 1919 posts

Posted 30 September 2008 - 04:41 PM

Hmm I think the benefit of knowing which game is which outweighs that drawback quite easily.

I think you underestimate the drawback, it was very distracting when I tried it. I think the focus should be on the games and how they look and move, not their names.

But feel free to add subtitles in Windows Movie Maker or something and upload it as a separate video if you wish.

#145 Timoi

Timoi

Genie Games

• Validating
  • 576 posts

Posted 01 October 2008 - 11:39 AM

Just thought I'd let you know Sandy has posted this video on the YYG Glog: http://glog.yoyogames.com/

EDIT: Also, it's interesting that there's only 1 3D game there, and no online games.

Edited by Timoi, 01 October 2008 - 11:51 AM.

My Games
PLAN-iT: "It's addictive and has amazing gameplay, well done." "AWESOME GAME!"
Evasion: "Not bad, seemed to me first very simple but its not. " "Very nice game"

Seen a game made with Game Maker in a magazine or newspaper, or on the TV? Then add it to the list of GM Games In Mainstream Media on the YYG Wiki. Currently lists 22 sightings.

#146 RekNepZ

RekNepZ

GMC Historian

• GMC Member
  • 718 posts

Posted 01 October 2008 - 12:35 PM

Congratz rinkuhero!
Sandy posted in the glog!

AczgxAZ.png

^kept in my sig for historical purposes^

#147 fawful

fawful

dear leader

• GMC Member
  • 1321 posts

Posted 01 October 2008 - 12:44 PM

I amazed at the amount of games i havent played yet,i'l probebly play some of theses when i get bored,theres so much to choose from though.

:edit:

@ timoi

Theres actualy two,Mondo medicals and hover tank 3d.Just thought i'd point that out,but yeah there isnt much in the way of 3d.

Edited by fawful, 01 October 2008 - 12:46 PM.

FABULOUS

#148 Grid

Grid

GMC Member

• 77 posts

Posted 01 October 2008 - 12:48 PM

I amazed at the amount of games i havent played yet,i'l probebly play some of theses when i get bored,theres so much to choose from though.

@ timoi

Theres actualy two,Mondo medicals and hover tank 3d.Just thought i'd point that out,but yeah there isnt much in the way of 3d.

Tuts Test is another.

#149 fawful

fawful

dear leader

• GMC Member
  • 1321 posts

Posted 01 October 2008 - 12:50 PM

@ timoi

Tuts Test is another.

Oh yes of couse,i'v just acidentaly started a comp to see how many 3d games you can spot.XP

FABULOUS

#150 KC LC

KC LC

Ex-Administrator

• GMC Elder
  • 5309 posts

Posted 01 October 2008 - 01:16 PM

Just thought I'd let you know Sandy has posted this video on the YYG Glog: http://glog.yoyogames.com/

Yes, that's great. Well done rinku! -_-