Yoyo Games' Save The Planet Competition

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1116 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_YoYoJim_*

Guest_YoYoJim_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 September 2008 - 03:05 PM

Hi All,

Following on from Mark's glog post a few weeks ago Competition04 is officially under way. Same prizes, same rules, new theme.

The theme is, as expected, "Save the Planet" - but don't panic, any viewpoint is welcome. Check out the YYG competition page for a fuller description.

As always use this thread to talk about anything competition related, and I'll try to chip with the YYG line if any issues come up.

-Jim

For your browsing convenience, a generic version of last competition's FAQ:

Is it ok to use this sound/sprite/resource? I'm not sure about copyright?
Not really. Make sure you have permission to use all resources. In most cases this is easy, for music and sounds try googling "Free sounds". In a few situations you're going to have to get in touch with the creator.

Can my game use DLLs?
Yes, just be sure it works with instant play (it normally does), and you're not in violation of copyright.

Help! Instant play isn't working!

Patience. Sometimes it takes up to a day. If that doesn't work search the forums for a solution. As a last resort contact the YYG helpdesk, or email competition ( @ ) yoyogames (dot) com. Don't post here.

What screen resolution should I use? Are we allowed a fullscreen option?
Make sure the windowed game ends up a sensible size on most computers, [not so big that it may as well be full screen, not so small we need to squint]. I'd positively encourage an option to switch to full screen (preferably using F4).

Can I make a 3D game?
Yes (but 2D is easier to do well).

OMG!! I accidently rated a competition game, am I disqualified!?
*sigh* Please try not to do this, just drop an email to competition ( @ ) yoyogames (dot) com with your username and the name of the game you rated, and don't do it again (if at all possible).

Fredit: Fixed link

#2 Tepi

Tepi

GMC Member

• Global Moderators
  • 4248 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 16 September 2008 - 03:11 PM

I'm not quite sure how you manage to come up with such good themes over and over again. Overall I'm just glad that you guys arrange these competitions. :)

I think I'll still refrain from attending. Although the deadline is quite far away, I think the perfectionist in me wouldn't want to let go of the game in time. :) Maybe if the next theme is close enough to some of the games I'm working on...

I think we're going to see some mighty games after this comp. I like it.

Edited by FredFredrickson, 16 September 2008 - 03:36 PM.

#3 tdmgames

tdmgames

GMC Member

• 1641 posts

Posted 16 September 2008 - 03:21 PM

Lets get the thinking started :)
OH Balls!

Domain change: If any of my links do you not, please PM me and I will send you a working link :)

t3mp3st+Me+BMG = t3mp3st's edited avatar with changing colour effect.

#4 FredFredrickson

FredFredrickson

Artist

• Global Moderators
  • 9225 posts

Posted 16 September 2008 - 03:38 PM

I'm looking forward to seeing some neat stuff come from this competition. My money's on the first "Godzilla saves the world from global warming" game to show up.

#5 RhysAndrews

RhysAndrews

Game Designer

• GMC Member
  • 2013 posts

Posted 16 September 2008 - 03:47 PM

This theme has a lot of room for unique twists from the norm. I mean... you can interpret "Save the Planet" in so many ways... so I'm going to be very interested in the material that will be submitted this time 'round.

-Rhys

banner4.jpg

#6 darkshado

darkshado

GMC Member

• 289 posts

Posted 16 September 2008 - 03:50 PM

This is one I'm entering and I already have a game under way for it.

Fredit

Ace!

#7 TD Games

TD Games

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1304 posts
  • Version:GM8

Posted 16 September 2008 - 03:51 PM

This theme has a lot of room for unique twists from the norm. I mean... you can interpret "Save the Planet" in so many ways... so I'm going to be very interested in the material that will be submitted this time 'round.

-Rhys

I agree. But i thought the Competition theme, had to be something "Green" or to do with the enviroment. Correct me if i'm worng, i could've mistaken...

-Tom.

#8 Timoi

Timoi

Genie Games

• Validating
  • 576 posts

Posted 16 September 2008 - 03:53 PM

I agree. But i thought the Competition theme, had to be something "Green" or to do with the enviroment. Correct me if i'm worng, i could've mistaken...

I thought so too, but I can't see anywhere in the rules which states that it has to be about the environment.

EDIT: "What we’re looking for in the next competition are games with a message, games which encourage the player to get involved." That seems to be it :)

Edited by Timoi, 16 September 2008 - 03:55 PM.

My Games
PLAN-iT: "It's addictive and has amazing gameplay, well done." "AWESOME GAME!"
Evasion: "Not bad, seemed to me first very simple but its not. " "Very nice game"

Seen a game made with Game Maker in a magazine or newspaper, or on the TV? Then add it to the list of GM Games In Mainstream Media on the YYG Wiki. Currently lists 22 sightings.

#9 photocopier

photocopier

GMC Member

• 765 posts

Posted 16 September 2008 - 04:01 PM

I'm looking forward to seeing some neat stuff come from this competition. My money's on the first "Godzilla saves the world from global warming" game to show up.

that's... just... genius! *steals Idea*

I've already started a 'save the planet' game so...

also I see this as a '3Dsquare' 1st place.
gah

#10 desertdweller

desertdweller

Love Truth

• 1255 posts

Posted 16 September 2008 - 04:02 PM

Can't wait to see the entrants; this is definitely a unique theme. Were I to enter, I would take it very literally, where you actually have to save the planet from aliens or something. :)

I do hope that you get out the results of the last comp soon.

"We have no government armed with power capable of contending with human passions unbridled by morality and religion . . .
our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." - John Adams

Working on music off and on. School gets in the way. My site's a mess of non-updatedness.

#11 Timoi

Timoi

Genie Games

• Validating
  • 576 posts

Posted 16 September 2008 - 04:05 PM

Were I to enter, I would take it very literally, where you actually have to save the planet from aliens or something. :)

We€™re often told that the only solution to these collective problems is mass action - the message must be spread to as many as people as possible if our own environmental compromises are to count for anything. Computer games are a great way to reach people and get them interacting with these important debates. What we're looking for in the next competition are games with a message, games which encourage the player to get involved.

So I don't think 'invasions of aliens' would count...

Edited by Timoi, 16 September 2008 - 04:06 PM.

My Games
Evasion: "Not bad, seemed to me first very simple but its not. " "Very nice game"

Seen a game made with Game Maker in a magazine or newspaper, or on the TV? Then add it to the list of GM Games In Mainstream Media on the YYG Wiki. Currently lists 22 sightings.

#12 masterofhisowndomain

masterofhisowndomain

The Designer

• GMC Member
  • 3650 posts
  • Version:GM8.1

Posted 16 September 2008 - 04:13 PM

What happened to my first post..? :)

I think I'll be entering this competition, although I'm glad the deadline is quite a way away, time is pretty tight at the moment.

List Of Mods And Add-Ons

(Things you must try, for the games you already have)

Insightful links:
Higher Order Fun -- Game Design, Maths.
The Missing Concept -- Career/Hobby?
Neither Career Nor Hobby -- Career/Hobby?
Wario Land 4 Project -- Platformer design.

#13 desertdweller

desertdweller

Love Truth

• 1255 posts

Posted 16 September 2008 - 04:43 PM

Were I to enter, I would take it very literally, where you actually have to save the planet from aliens or something. :)

We�€™re often told that the only solution to these collective problems is mass action - the message must be spread to as many as people as possible if our own environmental compromises are to count for anything. Computer games are a great way to reach people and get them interacting with these important debates. What we're looking for in the next competition are games with a message, games which encourage the player to get involved.

So I don't think 'invasions of aliens' would count...

Oh, so they want people to want to get involved in actually "Saving the Planet"? I thought they meant involved in the game itself. :) Guess I have to ditch my idea then.

"We have no government armed with power capable of contending with human passions unbridled by morality and religion . . .
our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." - John Adams

Working on music off and on. School gets in the way. My site's a mess of non-updatedness.

#14 Flipbee9

Flipbee9

The Stinger

• 1533 posts

Posted 16 September 2008 - 04:47 PM

I might enter but I don't want to try for the prize I just want to try a go for it!
GM User Since 07

#15 Timoi

Timoi

Genie Games

• Validating
  • 576 posts

Posted 16 September 2008 - 05:01 PM

Oh, so they want people to want to get involved in actually "Saving the Planet"? I thought they meant involved in the game itself. :) Guess I have to ditch my idea then.

To be honest I'm quite confused myself.

When first announced it gave the impression it was about global warming and enviromental stuff ("Of course there are many (environment-related things) you can save the planet from"). Then the official page said "pollution, acid rain, over-crowding, starvation and drought", so perhaps it's only meant to be saving the planet from human inflicted things, but it goes on to say "extinction threats are all waiting in the wings" which could mean anything wiping out humans, and on the YoYo Games homepage it says "Save the Planet (from anything...) so alien invasions could count!

Edited by Timoi, 16 September 2008 - 05:03 PM.

My Games

#16 Diptoman

Diptoman

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1906 posts

Posted 16 September 2008 - 05:03 PM

Is it mentioned anywhere 'saving the earth'?
It can be any other planet, can't it?

Edited by dmsuper, 16 September 2008 - 05:03 PM.

#17 Flipbee9

Flipbee9

The Stinger

• 1533 posts

Posted 16 September 2008 - 05:04 PM

I'm pretty confused but Timoi kinda cleared it up.
I'll try making a game but I don't want to go
for the prize :) :)
GM User Since 07

#18 Timoi

Timoi

Genie Games

• Validating
  • 576 posts

Posted 16 September 2008 - 05:07 PM

I'm pretty confused but Timoi kinda cleared it up.

Did I? I didn't say what could be allowed, I simply said YYG have put across different messages.
My Games

#19 masterofhisowndomain

masterofhisowndomain

The Designer

• GMC Member
  • 3650 posts

Posted 16 September 2008 - 05:08 PM

Is it mentioned anywhere 'saving the earth'?
It can be any other planet, can't it?

Yes it could be, it was one of the possibilities I myself discussed in the Comp03 topic.

List Of Mods And Add-Ons

Insightful links:

#20 Timoi

Timoi

Genie Games

• Validating
  • 576 posts

Posted 16 September 2008 - 05:10 PM

Yes it could be, it was one of the possibilities I myself discussed in the Comp03 topic.

But that wouldn't fit with:

What we're looking for in the next competition are games with a message, games which encourage the player to get involved."

Which itself is open to interpretations! Anyhow, I'm going to wait and see if YYG clears this up.

Edited by Timoi, 16 September 2008 - 05:10 PM.

My Games

#21 Jangos_Legacy

Jangos_Legacy

GMC Member

• 400 posts

Posted 16 September 2008 - 05:15 PM

This isn't the competition I was wanting but more of one I was needing to start a concept I had planned a long time ago.
looking forward to it. :)
Edit: January 4th? Wow, I was expecting another one that ends early December.

Edited by Jangos_Legacy, 16 September 2008 - 05:16 PM.

#22 Caniac

Caniac

The #1 Caniac

• 2622 posts

Posted 16 September 2008 - 05:16 PM

a few weeks ago, Made a topic like this one and it was cloased :)
also, can I use a game that I started for this competition a few weeks ago?

-Caniac

#23 Jangos_Legacy

Jangos_Legacy

GMC Member

• 400 posts

Posted 16 September 2008 - 05:17 PM

Is it already uploaded on yoyogames?

#24 Frostblade

Frostblade

GMC Member

• GMC Elder
  • 3329 posts

Posted 16 September 2008 - 05:22 PM

I knew it! My pre-idea actually fits the guidelines for once. :)

Under wraps for now (since the premise is original but very easy to steal) but if you want an idea of why I'm so pleased: It involves magical altars and demigods and poltergeists. And it still fits.

I give it about a day until Game Ideas is swamped with Comp04 posts.

Edited by Frostblade, 16 September 2008 - 05:24 PM.

#25 Caniac

Caniac

The #1 Caniac

• 2622 posts

Posted 16 September 2008 - 05:24 PM

Is it already uploaded on yoyogames?

nope.

#26 Jangos_Legacy

Jangos_Legacy

GMC Member

• 400 posts

Posted 16 September 2008 - 05:25 PM

I give it about a day until Game Ideas is swamped with Comp04 posts.

I give it two days.

nope.

Then you can.

Edited by Jangos_Legacy, 16 September 2008 - 05:25 PM.

#27 Binsk

Binsk

-Insane Kid-

• GMC Member
  • 3111 posts

Posted 16 September 2008 - 05:37 PM

Um, would destroying all humanity count as "Saving the planet"? Never said to save humans. Cause if it does, I have a whopper of an idea...

NEWS FLASH! You can't get to heaven by your works. No chance. Hopeless. Give up now. No amount of works will get you anywhere, in fact all your efforts have been botched years ago because you already missed perfection the first time you lied, stole, or performed any of those other lovelies.

That said, do you want to go to heaven? Not the hellish picture given by cartoons. You know, the nightmarish one where you are renting a cloud and harp? I mean, holy crap, where did that come from? I am talking about a bonafide city, people, designed by God no less. Heck, read John's Revelation 21 if you want details. Getting to heaven is extremely simple, actually, the how and why is spelled out in Paul's letter to the Romans, summarized in Romans 10:9,10. God lived a perfect life and died in your place, covering every one of your mistakes and failures past and future. All you have to do is believe that He did what he said He did and accept the gift. Bam, you're saved. Done deal. Complicated, no? Questions? PM me.

#28 Frostblade

Frostblade

GMC Member

• GMC Elder
  • 3329 posts

Posted 16 September 2008 - 05:48 PM

Um, would destroying all humanity count as "Saving the planet"? Never said to save humans. Cause if it does, I have a whopper of an idea...

Ever seen the movie 'I, Robot'? It's got your answer. :)

#29 masterofhisowndomain

masterofhisowndomain

The Designer

• GMC Member
  • 3650 posts

Posted 16 September 2008 - 05:53 PM

Hah another idea of mine.. I guess it was bound to be someone else's too though.. :)
I did think about the theme of: Humanity is actually not deserving of the Earth and needs to be wiped out to save it. But then I became overwhelmed by depression and philisophical notions, began to play epic music on YouTube and generally did very little game making.. Hopefully my other idea will be more productive!

List Of Mods And Add-Ons

Insightful links:

#30 Frostblade

Frostblade

GMC Member

• GMC Elder
  • 3329 posts

Posted 16 September 2008 - 06:01 PM

Humanity is actually not deserving of the Earth and needs to be wiped out to save it.

I took a slightly happier route; that's what my villain thinks, but the protagonist thinks otherwise.

Edited by Frostblade, 16 September 2008 - 06:02 PM.

#31 photocopier

photocopier

GMC Member

• 765 posts

Posted 16 September 2008 - 06:08 PM

Humanity is actually not deserving of the Earth and needs to be wiped out to save it.

I took a slightly happier route; that's what my villain thinks, but the protagonist thinks otherwise.

I think that sounds 'done before' but that doesn't mean it can't be good...

I'm thinking along the lines of polution and multiple planets...
gah

#32 jakman4242

jakman4242

Vertical Shmup Junkie

• 3222 posts

Posted 16 September 2008 - 06:13 PM

*sigh*
The semi-classic, overused antagonist entity/race that is the so-called "guardian" or "protector" of the universe/earth that seeks to destroy humanity because of our wastefulness and/or corruption. Then the protagonist who thinks otherwise does all in their power to stop the antagonist, and eventually pulls it off by doing something intensely epic.

Yeah....
-- My blog. --

#33 dadio

dadio

Potato King

• YoYo Games Staff
  • 2740 posts

Posted 16 September 2008 - 07:12 PM

I bet we see alot of great ideas/games come out of this!
I think it's the best competition theme so far.. & I like that it's so open to interpretation.

I think I have the perfect idea for it..
I just hope I can get my game done on time!

Best of luck to everyone! :)

AczgxAZ.png5aj9t5.jpg

#34 Frostblade

Frostblade

GMC Member

• GMC Elder
  • 3329 posts

Posted 16 September 2008 - 07:15 PM

*sigh*
The semi-classic, overused antagonist entity/race that is the so-called "guardian" or "protector" of the universe/earth that seeks to destroy humanity because of our wastefulness and/or corruption. Then the protagonist who thinks otherwise does all in their power to stop the antagonist, and eventually pulls it off by doing something intensely epic.

Yeah....

Out by a long way, I'm afraid.

Apart from, possibly, the epic. I'm a sucker for throwing in the occasional awesome moment.

#35 lastonesitting

lastonesitting

GMC Member

• 2 posts

Posted 16 September 2008 - 08:28 PM

i finally return to the gmc...

glad to see they are having competitions now. i will try to make a game for this one, maybe i can even win some money.

#36 gangstar59

gangstar59

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 110 posts

Posted 16 September 2008 - 08:41 PM

we will see lots of great ideas and stories i think casual games have more chance then hardcores
i start to design game 4 september wish finish it soon
if i win :) plan to go language school in australia
Trakia

#37 PurpleFuzzy

PurpleFuzzy

Punk Rock Princess

• GMC Member
  • 1589 posts
  • Version:None

Posted 16 September 2008 - 08:51 PM

Glad to see this announced formally. This time around, I suppose I'll make a game that's intended from its inception as a competition game. :)
January 9th is a good deadline. Certainly enough time to make something. I've already got some ideas floating 'round in my head.

Good luck to everybody.

-PF

#38 KC LC

KC LC

Ex-Administrator

• GMC Elder
  • 5309 posts

Posted 16 September 2008 - 09:09 PM

January 9th is a good deadline.

I agree... but January 4th is even better. :)
Geometricks 3D Rendering Demo / In Silico 3D Kinematics Simulation
Warped Space 3D Gravity Simulation / Surface Explorer Animated Surface Demo
Oscilloscope Animated Lissajous Figures

Featured Games at YoYo: Drop in the Bucket, Tut's Test(3rd place competition winner)

Older games at: Flying Banjo Games

#39 Caniac

Caniac

The #1 Caniac

• 2622 posts

Posted 16 September 2008 - 09:13 PM

I agree... but January 4th is even better.

why is january 4th better?

#40 Jangos_Legacy

Jangos_Legacy

GMC Member

• 400 posts

Posted 16 September 2008 - 09:18 PM

I agree... but January 4th is even better.

why is january 4th better?

Because the Glog said so.

#41 PurpleFuzzy

PurpleFuzzy

Punk Rock Princess

• GMC Member
  • 1589 posts
  • Version:None

Posted 16 September 2008 - 09:24 PM

I agree... but January 4th is even better. :)

Hahaha. Whoops. I'm an airhead. Pardon me.

-PF

Edited by PurpleFuzzy, 16 September 2008 - 09:25 PM.

#42 drazzke

drazzke

GMC Member

• 1084 posts

Posted 16 September 2008 - 09:28 PM

I'm excited. This competition should be fun :)

Good luck everyone.

Noel Berry | Portfolio | Twitter | Leap4Blue
Game Maker | PHP/MYSQL | HTML/CSS | Flash/AS3

#43 Bass.EXE

Bass.EXE

Transcendent: B

• 1639 posts

Posted 16 September 2008 - 09:29 PM

I can already see someone like 2Dcube making a game where you save the world from overpopulation...with some giant gun.
Did you know that pears have their own DNA? yes: deoxyribonupearic acid. I learned that when I went to Pearis, Pearsia. I actually wrote a papear about it. It included the Great Time Pearadox, and even how the Speartains almost conquored Pearsia. It actually sounds quite pearanormal. Anyway, in Pearsia, there was a huge forest, where large pearcentage of the animal pearpulation were grizzly pears. I went in prepeared. About a few miles into the jungle, I saw a pear of pearallel trees, almost completely pearpendicular to the ground. I climbed up one, and picked a pear. Then, the pearlice surrounded me! It turns out that the trees were sacred to the first queen of Pearsia, Cleopeartra.
"Pearposterous," I said, but they hauled me off to court. I was in quite the peardicament. Luckily, I got an amazing lawyer--Pearry Mason--to prove me innocent.
My story was several pearagraphs long. My teacher told me I need to learn to pearaphrase. She asked about this story to my pearants, but they just said it was a peary tale. I didn't care; I was in pearadise. I got an A+, because compeared to everyone else's repeart, mine was pearfect. That's good, too, because I pearcrastinated. I was pearspiring, too. But after such a fantastic, fiction story, there sure was a pearadigm shift in the genre of repearts in my class.

#44 Revel

Revel

ɹǝqɯǝɯ ɔɯƃ

• GMC Member
  • 4935 posts

Posted 16 September 2008 - 10:11 PM

What we’re looking for in the next competition are games with a message, games which encourage the player to get involved.

So we are mainly supposed to make a message? Not a game? :)

Edit:
Any ideas on when the winners of Comp03 will be announced?

I also find it funny how there are already games submitted to Comp04 with 109 days remaining. :)

Edited by Revel, 16 September 2008 - 10:15 PM.

#45 ThatSnail

ThatSnail

That Guy

• GMC Member
  • 1036 posts

Posted 16 September 2008 - 10:32 PM

Awesome. I like the pushed-back deadline.
Also, the link "See all the competition entries" still goes to the 3rd competition.

#46 homebrewpc

homebrewpc

GMC Member

• 651 posts

Posted 17 September 2008 - 12:29 AM

I can already see someone like 2Dcube making a game where you save the world from overpopulation...with some giant gun.

I laughed at that one :)

GMArcade is being remade into iPlayIndie, check out our development topic for more information.

#47 Zezuken

Zezuken

AKA: Warriorccc0

• GMC Member
  • 2799 posts
  • Version:Unknown

Posted 17 September 2008 - 12:32 AM

I will hopefully enter, hopefully I can get the main sprite I want done (as in the one in my signature) though to do so.

Edited by Zezuken, 17 September 2008 - 12:33 AM.

#48 Stubbjax

Stubbjax

RandomGuy General

• GMC Member
  • 4208 posts

Posted 17 September 2008 - 12:40 AM

Three words: I am Legend!

That would be awesome. B)
2qi1d8l.jpg

#49 ThatSnail

ThatSnail

That Guy

• GMC Member
  • 1036 posts

Posted 17 September 2008 - 01:09 AM

Three words: I am Legend!

That would be awesome. B)

LOL!

Really, though. Does the topic have to be exclusively based around the environment? Does it have to promote (or demote) how the environment is being harmed? I have an awesome idea that has nothing to do with the environment, and I am wondering if I can use it.

#50 jakman4242

jakman4242

Vertical Shmup Junkie

• 3222 posts

Posted 17 September 2008 - 04:36 AM

I can already see someone like Nobody/JW making a game where you save the world from overpopulation...with some giant gun.

Corrected that for you.
-- My blog. --