Last Update Dec 15 2011, 8:30 PM
OK guys, I put a lot of work in this.
If you had trouble with models in the past like take a wavefront (.obj) (with mtl support(5)) file and load it in your game, this is the tool for you.
I think I blew the competition away
model by wolfinexile
7MB (more models included + material files... they take space)
GOOGLE SKETCHUP INSTRUCTIONS
I'm sorry but I lost the source for this project.
I apologize for the small window. this was made a long time ago. you may have to change your display resolution to be able to read the menu in the editor
Use this to convert ANY format to .obj or .x (ASCII)
d3d to obj
Saving d3d to obj in gmmodelfix will result in duplicate vertices. if you want to edit that obj with blender or another tool, you must merge the vertices. In Accutrans3d tool, load the obj and use the Tools/Merge Vertices menu and then save your obj. You can now edit your obj as before.
I've done it myself and it works very well. I do recommend using the accutrans3d for features I dont have. The guy is very cool and deserves a few users
plugin for AC3D to export to Wavefront OBJ files
You NEED UVMapper too!!!
Download UVMapper Classic for Windows
The GMModelEx dll which I made to make importing (obj and x) and exporting models (.d3d) and editing model data faster is now available for you to use in your game
Having trouble with error defining external function?
Install this until I fix it
STEP BY STEP
0) You got a model, if you used blender, export as obj as triangle model and you open in UVMapper to make a uv mapping, and get a texture out of it. Models can be also be loaded by the Accutrans (AC3d) software I posted a link to as well, again tell the export to make a triangle based model (though GMModelfix can handle it)
1) You load the obj in GMModelFix
2) You Hit the Fix Wizard
3) You rotate the model so it faces right towards +x and it's top is facing +z axis
4) You center the model (Move menu), either base on it's mass (if a ship) or, if a person, align so it's feet are at z0.
5) You resize the model so it's the proper size. I like my people models to be 6 feet tall and I like 1 3d unit = 1 foot. So I resize ALL, absolute, based on Z to be 6 units (it'll be more obvious in the Scale Menu, lower right option, the last one in the scale menu)
6) You hit the Fix/Generate Model Light Map menu. I usually choose the 2nd roow, 2nd col option
7) Hit the little square that has an X on it (the texture). If the model disappears, you have no UV mapping. You need to load it up in UVMapper
8)Hit the Big square (texture with the X), the X disappears and you see the tank texture lower right
9)Load the texture in the program with the load texture menu
10) Hit Flip UV until the model is properly mapped, you may hit the Big square first to hide the texture an see the model. save the texture or you may use another program to flip the image with it for a png file for example.
Light check (Light Menu)
11) Hit the Big Light Bulb. If no lights present it will add a new one where you stand.
12) Rotate the model around, and if need be re-generate the lighting in the Model Menu using other methods. some methods make crude light, others smooth, some better for geometric shapes, others for natural things
13) Save your model as d3d. No Alpha, No color (it's uv mapped so forget the color alpha method)
14) You can try the packager if you like but I don't recommend it seeing it dumbs down the process to your disadvantage..
Vista Compatible (gm7)
a few sample models
a tutorial in the info (F1)
- (1)(3)Import ALL obj models without bombing (crosses fingers)
- Save d3d as obj so you can uv map them with uvmapper
- (5)Uses material files (mtl file) for figuring color and alpha of the vertices
- (6)(7)Import X Files without bombing (crosses fingers)
- Read and write d3d (gm model file)
- (1)(2)support for mapping textures
- (1)support for changing faces and vertices color and alpha
- Flip Rotate Models
- Move model origin
- Center on model mass
- Align on plane/axis
- Fix Culling
- Fix Texture Mapping
- Fix Face Color and Alpha
- Fix/Generate Lighting (vertex normals)
- Select faces with mouse
- Fix culling on selected faces
- (4)Fix/Generate Light map (11 ways to fiddle with the light map.)
- Save as d3d, 2 formats, full vertex color alpha or no vertex color alpha
- View as mesh
- View as lighted or non lighted model
- View light map vetors
- View as non textured model
- See the faces selected on the model and the texture image
- Move texture map by face, mutiple faces, point, multiple points
- Group Move Texture UV (See details) for merging textures
- Selected Faces Save
- Selected Faces Move, Rotate, Scale and Fix Lighting
- Delete selected face
- Repeat last edit action
- Package Wizard geneates code to add model to your game using GM's Import Script
- Packager allow external texture from generated scripts
- Packager allows coded model and file model of all types
- Create a template texture image with red triangles using the model's uv so you can use that to know where to draw in paint.
- Saved d3d models will remember the texture that was used with it in the editor.
- Sort Model Facets
(1)Textures must be loaded separately, no support for material files yet.
(2)Multi textured models not supported yet (Use the Group move UV and GIMP or Paint to merge your textures)
(3)Multi group/part models are merged into single GM model entity
(4)2 of the light map generators are still in the works
(5)You still need to manualy add the texture since GM only supports 1 texture, I did not feel the need to jump through hoops detecting the numerous ways a texture is specified... darn Wavefront obj)
(6)Text based X file have been fully tested and it even loads bad file other modelers can't
(7)Binary X files are loaded but not fully. (Still working on decyfering the file)
Moved all the model code to a dll... You could use the dll in your game to import obj file and do in game model modifications.
You loose the nice progress bar but who wants to look at a progress bar for 10 minutes when the dll makes it go so much faster
Added light management
Fix rotation so it rotates light map
Now using multiple models for mesh, selection, light setup display... Faster on the draw, slower on the update.
I included what I think are the missing msvc dlls that caused trouble for some of you. Until I compile with dev-cpp, I hope this will do the trick
I added face select using the mouse thanks to various script laying around made by our resident math genious (you know who you are... and it's not myself ).
I added material file support (colored models, remember some models may not apear until you scale them and draw them withouth being textured map. Material color will show best without texture and with Face Color ON)
I also changed the FIX culling button to also fix the selected faces (if some are selected). Some models have erros in them as reported by a few other model viewer. And so the feature is useful
Some included model have bad light map, so click the light fix to see them in their full glory.
BTW. The loader loads all the models the other viewers fail to load!!!
The current update fixed the left right arrow error
Adds saving, moving, scaling, rotating and light maping the selected faces.
Adds the tool tips (T)
Adds select all, deselect all, move first move last face
Added camera following smoothly the selection so you can zoom right on the area you are editing.
So you can split models apart, light different parts in different ways. As long as the model components have their faces in sequential order, like the tank does, it can be useful for spliting model parts to different files. When I add the delete faces feature, this will be even easier to do.
Also the left and right arrows will move through faces and add/remove faces when ctrl is held. So you can select a face with the mouse, let the viewer center on the spot, the use ctrl+right to select a whole group
Fixed the color picker
Added X file import (Still working on binary version)
Hold A or C then click face to change the face alpha and color to the color you last picked in the face color/alpha properties
Added Delete Face (DEL), Perform Last Action (L) and changed the interface a little and fixed a minor bug in the save partial model code.
L can be used to repeat a model edit action such as face vn boost or fix culling while not having to need to go through the menu while editing model faces.
Delete can be used to remove faces that do nothing for you... Or to split the model in pieces, like removing the turret from the tank.
Added Face Add, Rotate Around Model Center and Model Merge
Added packager that makes scripts to import in your came. Can package as code or d3d file and automates loading of texture
Added save template texture using uvs of the nodel (no auto uv gen yet)
Fixed the dll to allow saving extra info in the d3d model such as texture used. Has no effect on GM's d3d_model_load
Don't save as code if your model is huge... or even medium sized for that matter. If so, don't open the setup_model_<model> script before you disable GM's code color.
Move UV so you can merge textures
Fixed the obj import in the dll.
-Now faster than ever. THANK YOU X-tra Fear and score_under
-Now exports as obj
Add texture merging
Add texture fix (2^n)
Add other model imports
Move/delete model faces/group of faces
Add delete faces
Add generation of texture maping template
Add abitity to add shapes and merge other models (Model Editor)
I have found a BUG with .obj exported by Anim8tor (or in my import of obj generated by anim8tor). When you export to a .obj, and import in GMModelFix, a facet will be missing. You can re-add the facet in GMModelFix if it's important... FIXED
Edited by icuurd12b42, 19 January 2015 - 11:22 AM.