ThatGamesGuy

Videogame designer

• GMC Elder
  • 4766 posts
  • Version:GM8.1

Posted 11 September 2008 - 12:34 PM

BLOXBUB 3

INTRO
After Bloxbub 1 and Bloxbub 2, now there is Bloxbub 3 in glorious 3D. The hero is an astronaut / secret agent with a jetpack and bombs. Guide him through nearly 40 levels. You will face annoying flying robots, dangerous one eyed blobs and deadly mushroom shaped three eyed aliens. Experience the strange story of an astronaut who is thrown into an alien arena and reaches the alien inner sanctum. Keep an eye on your stats while jumping, running and avoiding enemies.

DOWNLOAD LINKS:

SCREENSHOTS

DETAILS
Type: platform. Made with: GM7. Resolution: 1024*768. Changes resolution: yes. Zip file with executable, license, levels & models. Manual: press F1 in game.

RELATED LINKS
WIP topic on the GMC: http://gmc.yoyogames...howtopic=390561
Game review by TIA productions can be found here: ...
Previous version can be download here: ...

FEEDBACK
If you played the game, please post a reply. Thanks!

Edited by ThatGamesGuy, 10 October 2013 - 10:32 AM.

#2 IQbrew

IQbrew

Pro-Grammar

• Banned Users
  • 2607 posts
  • Version:Unknown

Posted 11 September 2008 - 12:38 PM

Hmm, looks good. I'll try it
"Personally, I rather look forward to a computer program winning the world chess championship. Humanity needs a lesson in humility. "

#3 PurpleFuzzy

PurpleFuzzy

Punk Rock Princess

• GMC Member
  • 1589 posts
  • Version:None

Posted 11 September 2008 - 08:51 PM

Definitely an impressive feat of 3d programming. I don't find it very challenging, unfortunately, whereas, the previous Bloxbub games were excruciatingly hard. Either way, nice work and I'm glad to see it done.

-PF

#4 Aertcz

Aertcz

Aleksander

• GMC Member
  • 1660 posts

Posted 12 September 2008 - 02:52 AM

First 3d GM game which i actually somewhat enjoyed. Good job. Gameplay was a bit lacking.. however the game is in 3d and 3d games are much harder to make.
Posted Image

#5 Lithium

Lithium

Spitfire Member

• GMC Member
  • 1477 posts

Posted 12 September 2008 - 10:51 AM

Its a good game but needs more variety.

E1JdWqS.png

FCO now in Alpha testing phase

http://fco2.forumotion.cc/

#6 ThatGamesGuy

ThatGamesGuy

Videogame designer

• GMC Elder
  • 4766 posts

Posted 14 September 2008 - 02:05 AM

Definitely an impressive feat of 3d programming. I don't find it very challenging, unfortunately, whereas, the previous Bloxbub games were excruciatingly hard. Either way, nice work and I'm glad to see it done.

-PF

Glad you consider it an accomplishment. Did you finish all the levels quickly?

First 3d GM game which i actually somewhat enjoyed. Good job. Gameplay was a bit lacking.. however the game is in 3d and 3d games are much harder to make.

Glad to hear it's enjoyable, if only a little.

Its a good game but needs more variety.

Glad you like it. As this is beyond a Work-In-Progress, I'm not going to add stuff to this version. Maybe next time in "Bloxbub 4" if ever. Anyway, thanks for your comments.

Hopefully my next game will be even more enjoyable!

#7 name

name

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1427 posts

Posted 01 October 2008 - 12:06 AM

This got a suprisingly small amount of replys. It was very well made.
-_-

#8 Skeddles

Skeddles

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 188 posts

Posted 01 October 2008 - 03:01 AM

Excellent job on this.

Pros
  • I love the character.
  • The gameplay was smooth(for the most part).
  • The controls were pretty good.
  • For an independent game(nevermind one made with gamemaker), it was amazing.
  • Loved the lighting
  • Graphics and animation were nice, especially the character.
Cons
  • Some controls bothered me:
  • When you let go of forward, you keep going if you hold a direction.
  • If you hold up, you repeatedly jump(and it makes the game look kinda bad).
  • No music
  • I would have rather seen cg than having to read before every level.
  • I didn't really get a story, if there is one. And if not, there should be.
  • Why couldn't I fly all the time.
  • There could have been a tad better in-game UI.
  • The levels were very blocky. Smoother more realistic levels would have been nice.
  • I would have preferred a story game with large levels, rather than an arcade game, for something like this. Maybe next version?

Although there some cons, this is still an amazing game. Great job, and I hope to see more.

Edited by Skeddles, 01 October 2008 - 03:04 AM.

http://samkeddy.com

SamKeddy.com is my blog about pixel art, game dev, web design, and my personal projects.

jycYoSq.png  b6SrtQw.png  b3LPoQ1.png

Current project: Simple Pet Sim Game

#9 ThatGamesGuy

ThatGamesGuy

Videogame designer

• GMC Elder
  • 4766 posts

Posted 01 October 2008 - 08:32 PM

Thanks, guys, for the replies, suggestions and positive comments. It is very much appreciated.

Will there be a next version? Maybe. Who knows? I'm already working on a new project so not any time soon. Anyway, it's nice to see this game getting some attention at least. To be honest, this game was primarily made to prove, at least to myself, that a 3D game could be made in GM. I like to think I pulled it off.

Thanks again for your feedback that is going to be helpful in a next version (should it ever happen).

If you've played it and liked it, feel free to reply! :lol:

#10 -Oakleaf-

-Oakleaf-

Whipslash

• GMC Member
  • 1420 posts

Posted 02 October 2008 - 03:34 PM

Great job for a GM 3d game. Otherwise, it just feels somewhat unfinished.

#11 wingedwolf

wingedwolf

GMC Member

• 597 posts

Posted 02 October 2008 - 07:00 PM

well, yeah, this game is somewhat good, but it needs a lot of work, the conrols and camera work is terrible, sorry it really is, and it feels very claustrofobic. This game could be better, the sounds isn't wery good too, and collisions sometimes feels a bit too bad. I will give this game 6/10 it is good, just needs a lot more bug fixes.

#12 ThatGamesGuy

ThatGamesGuy

Videogame designer

• GMC Elder
  • 4766 posts

Posted 02 October 2008 - 09:08 PM

Thanks for the replies. The higher levels should feel less "claustrophobic" and more "spaced out". That's kinda the idea of the level progression: from narrow to wide.

#13 pure_evil020

pure_evil020

GMC Member

• 1479 posts

Posted 03 October 2008 - 01:02 AM

I agree with wingedwolf. It is a nice game, but there are some slight bugs that need to be fixed. not really all that serious. but if you want really good feedback, you gotta make really good effort, to get rid of those bugs :whistle:

nice game 8/10
Great graphics

Edited by pure_evil020, 03 October 2008 - 01:09 AM.

Posted Image
Software, malware, and file removal program.

#14 ThatGamesGuy

ThatGamesGuy

Videogame designer

• GMC Elder
  • 4766 posts

Posted 03 October 2008 - 11:16 AM

Thanks for replying. I realise it is not as good as it could be but I'm sorry to say I've decided to move on to my next project, having learned all I wanted to learn from this one. It's posted here in "Creations" because I consider it the final version. Thanks for the high rating though.

#15 gamewizkid

gamewizkid

GMC Member

• 436 posts

Posted 04 October 2008 - 02:17 AM

2 thumbs up!
5 stars!
It's one of the best 3d games ever.
The only problem is Bloxbubs face: It looks too pixelated.
Imagine a large mansion. And imagine that it has light, reflected off of the very large moon at night. Now imagine rain. Rain, rain, rain, rain, rain. Now imagine a light flickering in one or two of the windows of the mansion. And finally, imagine a cinder block and some sort of burnt trophy, laid on the side of the house; pieces of broken metal and wiring is twisted over and under them. Then imagine that the flickering lights turn off. Now the moon turns off. Did you like that? go here to read the full story...and PM me about it if you liked or didn't like it...

#16 ThatGamesGuy

ThatGamesGuy

Videogame designer

• GMC Elder
  • 4766 posts

Posted 05 October 2008 - 12:50 PM

2 thumbs up!
5 stars!
It's one of the best 3d games ever.

Wow, thanks.

The only problem is Bloxbubs face: It looks too pixelated.

You know what? You might be right on that one.

#17 dmitko

dmitko

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1013 posts

Posted 06 October 2008 - 04:13 AM

Nice graphics.
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

Currently working on Project Funky 3D

#18 ThatGamesGuy

ThatGamesGuy

Videogame designer

• GMC Elder
  • 4766 posts

Posted 08 October 2008 - 02:49 AM

@ dmitko
Thanks.

Bloxbub 3 reviewed
By the way, this game has been reviewed by TIA Productions here: http://www.tiaproduc...om/bloxbub3.htm

Edit:
Download mirror added (see first post, please).

Edited by ThatGamesGuy, 10 October 2008 - 12:10 AM.

#19 E.B

E.B

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 149 posts

Posted 10 October 2008 - 04:12 PM

Hehe, pretty nice game TGG!

I am on Level 27 at the moment, seems like a really good game so far! :P

I love the graphics, and the little dramatic tune before a level :)

That aside though, I noticed a pretty big engine flaw. It made level 25/26 much easier. On a level, say you have platform 1 and platform 2. Platform 2 is higher. You jump onto platform 2. However, if you hold jump and move onto air, you carry on jumping. Um. Yeah.

As shown in this picture =D

Posted ImagePosted Image
Still though, brilliant!

9/10, if only for the engine bugs.

Great job!

#20 ThatGamesGuy

ThatGamesGuy

Videogame designer

• GMC Elder
  • 4766 posts

Posted 10 October 2008 - 08:56 PM

@ E.B
Thanks for the very positive comments/rating and the bug find. That's a cool bug. Nice find. :P Maybe I'll release an update. I'll look into it. :) Again, thanks for playing and commenting.

#21 3lliot

3lliot

GMC Member

• 293 posts

Posted 12 October 2008 - 12:55 AM

Super game man!
Pros:
-Lovely lighting
-Nice 3d enviroment
-Great character
-Smooth
Cons:
-I found when running, When I let go I carried on.
-When playing level 2 I ran out of fuel so I had to wait till the timer was up.

Verdict:
8/10!!!
GREAT GAME

#22 ThatGamesGuy

ThatGamesGuy

Videogame designer

• GMC Elder
  • 4766 posts

Posted 13 October 2008 - 07:17 PM

@ 3lliot
Glad you liked it. Those cons you mentioned were by design, I think, so... not really a big problem in my view. Thanks for your verdict! Hopefully you will try my next game too and like it as much. Hope you catch that project in the WIP forum section when/if it's published there. But can't talk about that in this topic coz it's still a secret and offtopic. :)

#23 ninjutsu63

ninjutsu63

GMC Member

• 1128 posts

Posted 14 October 2008 - 02:06 PM

Wow! Highly addictive! One of the best gamemaker 3d games I've seen. Especially in such a small filesize.
The Entropy Movement

Agent-Third Person Shooter -"Wow! That was the best 3d TPS I've ever played on GM!"

#24 slayer 64

slayer 64

Slayer of gingers

• GMC Member
  • 4301 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 17 October 2008 - 03:00 AM

nice game.

i like beating my head off the ceiling.

i couldn't get past level 4 or 5 because there weren't enough bombs.

5y5rs3d.pngfg0UQNL.png

#25 TheMordeus

TheMordeus

The Dark Lady

• GMC Member
  • 1540 posts

Posted 17 October 2008 - 10:35 AM

Its a pretty cool idea, but I'd say it needs alot of polish. The wall collision handling is just awekward, and I managed to fell through the floor and end up behind objects I wasnt supposed too. The overall control of the character needs some work. Why does he keep running after I release the run key, if I hold down a directional key? And when you press the fly key, when you have no fuel, he just shifts animation and "floats" around.

The overall idea is good, but it needs better implementation. If would also be nice if the camera object didnt move outside the walls. Sometimes it goes outside the "room", and sometimes I can see the other side of a wall.
Posted Image

#26 Tepi

Tepi

GMC Member

• Global Moderators
  • 4248 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 17 October 2008 - 02:31 PM

2.5 stars out of 5.

I tried this earlier when it was demo. The controls are still very uncomfortable. You never quite see where you're going.

I got to the level 27. Then I had to stop. You know why? Because it ran about 10 fps. I am running Windows xp with 512 mb of RAM, Sempron 3000+ processor and 128 mb of shared video memory. My computer isn't the best one, but a game's framerate going frequently below 10 fps is totally unnaccepteble.

I also found a few bugs: at the first blue level (level 3 or so) where the platform goes up and down, when you're on the static platform, and run against the walls, you end up under it. Another bug would be looking around with ctrl at level 26, where the background appears black, while it's actually red.

The graphics were awesome though. It's one of the few gm made 3D games that have really well thought scenery. I liked especially the flare-effects, and the fact how the main character actually glew. I also liked the transparent window floor that showed some stars and the deeply colorized lighting. This game also brings the classical elements of platformers, alot of jumping. :)

#27 ThatGamesGuy

ThatGamesGuy

Videogame designer

• GMC Elder
  • 4766 posts

Posted 18 October 2008 - 01:14 AM

Wow! Highly addictive! One of the best gamemaker 3d games I've seen. Especially in such a small filesize.

Thanks. I'm glad you like it.

nice game.

i like beating my head off the ceiling.

You are not the only one. :D

i couldn't get past level 4 or 5 because there weren't enough bombs.

There is a level where you have only one bomb and still have to get passed the crates. But that's an intentional puzzle. It needs a little thought. If that's what you're talking about here and wish to know the solution, PM me.

Its a pretty cool idea, but I'd say it needs alot of polish. The wall collision handling is just awekward, and I managed to fell through the floor and end up behind objects I wasnt supposed too. The overall control of the character needs some work. Why does he keep running after I release the run key, if I hold down a directional key? And when you press the fly key, when you have no fuel, he just shifts animation and "floats" around.

The overall idea is good, but it needs better implementation. If would also be nice if the camera object didnt move outside the walls. Sometimes it goes outside the "room", and sometimes I can see the other side of a wall.

I've made some changes to the wall collision that will hopefully be considered an improvement, so expect an update in the near future. Also, I've changed the running behavior so that the character stops when you let go of the run key. The "fly key floating" has also been fixed, I think. You can hopefully judge for yourself after I've released the next update.

2.5 stars out of 5.

I tried this earlier when it was demo. The controls are still very uncomfortable. You never quite see where you're going.

I got to the level 27. Then I had to stop. You know why? Because it ran about 10 fps. I am running Windows xp with 512 mb of RAM, Sempron 3000+ processor and 128 mb of shared video memory. My computer isn't the best one, but a game's framerate going frequently below 10 fps is totally unnaccepteble.

I apologize if the program does not meet your standards. I'm trying my best. In the next update I've tried to improve framerate but can't promise it will work wonders on your machine.

I also found a few bugs: at the first blue level (level 3 or so) where the platform goes up and down, when you're on the static platform, and run against the walls, you end up under it.

In the next update the 2 blocks have been removed to prevent that from happening. So, that should be fixed.

Another bug would be looking around with ctrl at level 26, where the background appears black, while it's actually red.

Because the background is dark red and the helmet glass color is a greenish blue, the end resulting color is almost black. That's just the way color blending works, I guess.

The graphics were awesome though. It's one of the few gm made 3D games that have really well thought scenery. I liked especially the flare-effects, and the fact how the main character actually glew. I also liked the transparent window floor that showed some stars and the deeply colorized lighting. This game also brings the classical elements of platformers, alot of jumping. :)

I'm glad you appreciated some of the features this game offers and yes, at the heart of it, this game is all about jumping action, the way platformers should be. ;)

So, in conclusion, I hope to publish the next update soon. In the meantime, any comments, bug reports or other suggestions are welcome.

Edited by ThatGamesGuy, 18 October 2008 - 01:20 AM.

#28 ThatGamesGuy

ThatGamesGuy

Videogame designer

• GMC Elder
  • 4766 posts

Posted 20 October 2008 - 09:42 PM

Updated version
Based on your feedback I've published an update. Hopefully this will address some of the issues in the previous version. Thanks a lot for the suggestions so far!

Download
The latest version can be downloaded here:
Posted Image

Thanks for playing and leaving comments!

Edited by ThatGamesGuy, 20 October 2008 - 09:42 PM.

#29 3lliot

3lliot

GMC Member

• 293 posts

Posted 20 October 2008 - 10:20 PM

I'm on level 20 and still playing yknow' TGG! It's an awesome game and the 2nd game Ive stuck to playing.

#30 ThatGamesGuy

ThatGamesGuy

Videogame designer

• GMC Elder
  • 4766 posts

Posted 23 October 2008 - 07:43 PM

@ 3lliot
Thanks! That's really nice to hear.

#31 Mick

Mick

MickSemps Games

• 89 posts

Posted 24 October 2008 - 09:16 PM

i love this game!! it rocks

5/5

work on the astronauts face because its a bit odd.

Great Job!!

And i beat it! wooooo
some levels are hard
others are easy

Edited by Mick, 24 October 2008 - 09:17 PM.

Posted ImagePosted Image

#32 ThatGamesGuy

ThatGamesGuy

Videogame designer

• GMC Elder
  • 4766 posts

Posted 24 October 2008 - 09:31 PM

Thanks for the great rating. His face odd? In what way? Too pixelated?

#33 Mick

Mick

MickSemps Games

• 89 posts

Posted 25 October 2008 - 08:22 AM

yea too pixelated

Posted ImagePosted Image

#34 ThatGamesGuy

ThatGamesGuy

Videogame designer

• GMC Elder
  • 4766 posts

Posted 27 October 2008 - 01:58 PM

yea too pixelated

Ah well, I'm not sure I'm going to go back to this project for cosmetic surgery on the main character. I'd like to move ahead and get my next project done.

Edited by ThatGamesGuy, 27 October 2008 - 01:59 PM.

#35 Mick

Mick

MickSemps Games

• 89 posts

Posted 27 October 2008 - 02:01 PM

cosmetic suregery! classic!

good luck on the next project

Posted ImagePosted Image

#36 PurpleFuzzy

PurpleFuzzy

Punk Rock Princess

• GMC Member
  • 1589 posts
  • Version:None

Posted 04 November 2008 - 08:33 PM

I was bored today and decided to play this until I beat it... It got more challenging as it went on, thankfully. I enjoyed it. Great work. Can't wait to see what you do next.

-PF

#37 ThatGamesGuy

ThatGamesGuy

Videogame designer

• GMC Elder
  • 4766 posts

Posted 06 November 2008 - 11:56 PM

@Mick
Thanks. Hopefully it will not take too long.

@ PurpleFuzzy
Thanks, I appreciate your comments.

#38 ThatGamesGuy

ThatGamesGuy

Videogame designer

• GMC Elder
  • 4766 posts

Posted 25 January 2009 - 11:57 PM

Bloxbub 3 update - coming soon

Posted Image
Click image for larger view

An update of Bloxbub 3 is coming soon which will include a complete midi soundtrack and improved graphics, in particular: a more cartoony style as can be seen from the above screenshot. I expect to release the update soon.

Edited by ThatGamesGuy, 01 November 2010 - 03:10 PM.

#39 BENJAMUS

BENJAMUS

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 323 posts

Posted 26 January 2009 - 12:54 AM

Very nicely done for GM. The bots were just annoying, though. Also, the camera screwed up every time I turned, and I had to fix it with <ctrl>. You could also use a spell/grammar check at the beginning...

#40 ThatGamesGuy

ThatGamesGuy

Videogame designer

• GMC Elder
  • 4766 posts

Posted 31 January 2009 - 11:47 AM

@ BENJAMUS
Thanks for the feedback. I'll look into the points you mentioned.

Update?
The update is still coming soon. It will not only include soundtracks and cartoon outlines but also some new sound effects.

#41 ThatGamesGuy

ThatGamesGuy

Videogame designer

• GMC Elder
  • 4766 posts

Posted 03 February 2009 - 03:20 PM

Update available
The latest update is now available. See first topic for details. The update features:
  • cartoon outlines for the main characters,
  • original soundtracks for all levels/screens,
  • many improved sound effects.
Download
Posted Image

Your feedback
If you have any comments, please reply!

#42 Pie Person!

Pie Person!

GM 6+ Lover

• GMC Member
  • 1973 posts

Posted 08 February 2009 - 06:13 AM

Great game, but I think that some of the levels need to be more creative. And the jetpack sound is really annoying.
Cool.

#43 ThatGamesGuy

ThatGamesGuy

Videogame designer

• GMC Elder
  • 4766 posts

Posted 18 February 2009 - 09:20 PM

@ Pie Person!
Thanks for the feedback. And yeah, I'm sure many things could be improved, like better levels or sounds... many things.

Sketches
On my website I posted some of the sketches for this game. I might as well post them on here too:
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Edited by ThatGamesGuy, 01 November 2010 - 03:11 PM.

#44 Jenner

Jenner

Jenner

• GMC Member
  • 904 posts

Posted 26 February 2009 - 10:39 AM

I love it when you push GM to the limit! ;D

#45 ThatGamesGuy

ThatGamesGuy

Videogame designer

• GMC Elder
  • 4766 posts

Posted 02 March 2009 - 09:08 PM

Thanks, Jenner. I appreciate the comment.

#46 Desert Dog

Desert Dog

GMC Member

• GMC Elder
  • 6409 posts

Posted 08 October 2009 - 08:55 AM

Haha, nice game! The astronaut fella looks so.... cute? (hmm, that sounds girly....) I like his cell-shading. :D

the fps seems to suffer a bit on this computer, but all things considered, it was running well. [this computer isn't that great]

There were a few collision-y glitches, which just didn't look nice (the very first elevator, I just ran off it, and fell back down the shaft, even though there was no room to fall down)

But, otherwise it's pretty cool! Level 24, before it was game over.. I definitely think I may get around to finishing this game off!

Definitely a recommend, for anyone interested in seeing a decent GM 3d game. :D
HTML5 games for mobile:
HexDogs Bugz Burn! Captain George Golfing Block Memory

Games for Androids
*NEW* Word Dog - Published by Dangerous_Dave

Code: General Array Functions - GM-S friendly. sorting, shuffling. Includes a quicksort.
Use the quicksort to sort ds_lists 10-18 times faster than ds_list_sort()!

#47 Snoogms

Snoogms

GMC Member

• 103 posts

Posted 08 October 2009 - 09:28 AM

@ E.B
Thanks for the very positive comments/rating and the bug find. That's a cool bug. Nice find. :D Maybe I'll release an update. I'll look into it. :D Again, thanks for playing and commenting.

I liked the 3d. Good stuff man!
I found it rather simple, but then I might not be the target audience^^
You sometimes see through wall when you're turning.
“One of the most difficult tasks people can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games.” --Jung

|| "For a WIP, 8/10." --chichmonkey || "I'll give it a 9/10" --simple-games || "There's just something about this game which makes it so addictive" --ninja_sheep ||

#48 ThatGamesGuy

ThatGamesGuy

Videogame designer

• GMC Elder
  • 4766 posts

Posted 08 March 2010 - 04:12 PM

Thanks, guys, for the comments! :)

I'll see if I can publish an update some day to increase framerate. :D

#49 lynx357

lynx357

GMC Member

• 117 posts

Posted 09 March 2010 - 02:14 AM

What the hell???
None of the controls work...?

#50 ThatGamesGuy

ThatGamesGuy

Videogame designer

• GMC Elder
  • 4766 posts

Posted 09 March 2010 - 10:02 AM

@ lynx357
Maybe the game window doesn't have focus which means keyboard controls are not recognized? That might be it.