Nocturne

Nocturne Games

• Administrators
  • 25708 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 07 September 2008 - 11:38 PM

Posted Image

You Have Been Choosen By The Gods...

Select your avatar - Warrior, Valkyrie, Wizard or Ranger - and fight your way through the mythical Gauntlet.
On your journey you will find food to keep you healthy, many wonderous magical potions to help you fight,
treasure to plunder, keys to unlock chests and doors, and many, many monsters...
Guard well your keys and potions, watch out for traps, fight well and maybe, just maybe, the Gods will name you Champion!

Download

YoYo Games

CrySet Games
(Files included - Gauntlet.exe, Sounds folder, Intro folder, Splash folder, Supersound.dll, ReadMe.txt)

Screenshots

Posted ImagePosted Image

Features

User defined keyboard control
Fullscreen and vsync toggle
30 levels of mayhem
4 player characters
Over 25 types of enemy with different AI
Power-ups, traps and teleporters
Treasure vaults and reliquaries
RPG style basic stats system

Here is a rundown of the above mentioned stats system
Strength - Determines how much melee damage you do to the opponent/generator
Firepower - Increases the power of your bullets
Speed - Increases movement speed and continuous fire rate
Armour - The lower the armour class the less damage you take

This was made with Posted Image and may need a mid end PC due to the number of enemies, particle effects and large surfaces...

Posted Image
All graphics, programming and sound effects by Mark Alexander
Music is from Freeplay Music (www.freeplaymusic.com)
Supersound is by tsg1zzn (trondsg@gmail.com)

If you download this then please post with your comments!!!!
I have extensively play-tested this but nothing is perfect so please post with any bugs...

Fixed Bugs
There was a bug when exiting a Reliquary. This has now been fixed...
Bug with blue helper potion giving an error has now been fixed...
Bestiary now displays text properly...
Player can no longer get stuck in a wall from Level 5 to Level 6...
There was a bug with the Melee Potion (orange bottle) which is now fixed...
Pause key now pauses...
Key missing from Level 22 is now fixed...
Constant movement added to Melee Potion...
Graphics bug with Four Way Fire potion fixed...
Made the surfaces run better and there now should be no error if there is not enough graphics vram...

U1FVsm3.png

40799.png

#2 Raszlo

Raszlo

GMC Member

• 44 posts

Posted 08 September 2008 - 08:33 PM

ERROR in
action number 1
of  Step Event
for object PotionDefenseBall:

In script PotionDefenseAI:
Error in code at line 8:
   if !collision_line(x,y,a.x,a.y,Wall,true,true) && canshoot=true 

at position 27: Unknown variable x
Warrior 1st level after taking blue potion :)
Please fix it, the game seems to be cool...

Edit: Seems that this error don't affect wizard.
I don't get the pros and cons of those avatars, what is strength for? Why wizard have greatest defense? Valkyrie have every stat very weak - useless.
In bestiary informations are displayed too high and are above the paper backgroud making it hard to read.
Why I can't restart from the level I've died at, but have to go through previous one too (nvm, got into some killer bonus level ;p)?

I think that it would be better if you could actually gain stats and develop your character and save game (with experienced character) after every level...

Edited by Raszlo, 08 September 2008 - 09:20 PM.

#3 Nocturne

Nocturne

Nocturne Games

• Administrators
  • 25708 posts

Posted 08 September 2008 - 09:40 PM

Okay I´ll look into the error... it seems a bit odd... and post back. And I will look into the text problem in the Bestiary....

As for the stats, they are not biased as the armour stat works like the Dungeons and Dragons armour class... The lower it is the better!

The bonus levels appear on a semi random basis and you cannot start on them...
And as for saving, there is no need as you can start from the level you died on (as long as it was not a Vault or Reliquary) and as you go through the levels you get the option to add to your stats before starting (starting from level 6)... I made it that way for a more arcade feel. If you manage to survive the levels your character will be more powerfull than if you die and start on a higher level!

Thank you very much for posting and come back tomorrow when I´ve had a chance to debug somemore!!!!

Edit: Both bugs have been fixed. The potion looks for the nearest enemy and if there isnt one it gives the error, and the bestiary was missing a text align code... Am uploading the fixed version...

Edited by Mark13673, 08 September 2008 - 09:52 PM.

U1FVsm3.png

40799.png

#4 Raszlo

Raszlo

GMC Member

• 44 posts

Posted 09 September 2008 - 01:32 AM

Got another error while trying to leave reliquary (after lvl 5, wizard, choosing armor upgrade), unfortunately I don't have the error message. It only happened when I was staying on the exit.
Why it can't save progress after level was passed (finished lvl 5 -> unlock lvl 6 no matter if bonus level appeared next) instead of when level is accessed? ;p
Program remembers key bindings, but I always have to turn off fullscreen mode manualy...
Why it is so hard to aim while playing? ;p

#5 Nocturne

Nocturne

Nocturne Games

• Administrators
  • 25708 posts

Posted 09 September 2008 - 06:50 AM

That error has been fixed a while back... if you played on Yoyo games there should be flashing update button on the right of the buffering bar... and if not then you´ll have to re_download the zip... The game doesn´t save the progress from level 5 to the Reliquary beacuse you shouldn´t die there, you should get to Level 6 without problems! I will look into making the fullscreen and vsync settings savable too... And as for the shooting, it just takes practice and you have to use the straffing...

U1FVsm3.png

40799.png

#6 Raszlo

Raszlo

GMC Member

• 44 posts

Posted 09 September 2008 - 06:35 PM

Pause is not working (longer than 1 sec ;p)
What's with those gas-button-tiles? I can't pass them without being seriously wounded.
Spinning bottle made me stuck in a wall once.
Save system is not too hackproof ;p

Sorry for complaining a lot :) I like this game and it's just pointing out what I found wrong while playing it :lol:

#7 Nocturne

Nocturne

Nocturne Games

• Administrators
  • 25708 posts

Posted 09 September 2008 - 07:12 PM

I´ll check on the pause thing... It works for me... As for the gas tiles, yes they do hurt! They are traps that you have to pass as qiuckly as possible... I´ve never experienced the Melee potion sticking the player in a wall, so I´ll do some more testing as someone commented this on Yoyo games too...
And yes, you can hack the levels, but I don´t care as whoever wants to do it is obviously not looking for the challenge that the game provides!

Your feedback has been invaluable and I can´t thank you enough, Raszlo... If only everyone else was so helpful and posted there comments after playing!

EDIT: Can you tell me under what circumstances and on which level you got the player stuck? I am unable to reprodce the error...

Edited by Mark13673, 09 September 2008 - 09:09 PM.

U1FVsm3.png

40799.png

#8 THE KAPPTIN

THE KAPPTIN

El Capitano

• 2374 posts

Posted 10 September 2008 - 05:13 PM

Probably the biggest download file I've ever seen on the GMC. This is probably the main reason you have practically no replies.
I notice you used a lot of bitmaps - that's a mistake. Use jpegs or something else instead, because bitmaps make massively huge image files, they usually take a while even just to download one image. There are ways to save JPEGS without any artifacts/screwiness (Photoshop can do it easily, not sure how else - of course you could always just use gifs).
Why bother with external resource loading when you're going to just wreck it all by using bitmaps?

This was made with :GM7: and needs a mid end PC due to the number of enemies and particle effects...

It's actually probably from all the bitmaps.

Also the fact that I can listen to all the sounds and view all the screens (including the "you won the whole game" screen) cheapens the experience for me. It makes me feel more like a designer testing my own game than a player. There's no mystery, and I don't really have to "work for it".

-Unskippable intro, annoying. Pressing escape directly exits, also annoying.. at least make it skip the intro, then make it exit when you're on the title screen.
-Escape directly exits on the menu too. Feels unprofessional, and can be extremely annoying if you hit esc by accident (especially if there's an unskippable intro). (oh, you can skip the intro... there is just another one that you can't skip for some reason. ?)
-When I checked "information" in the help thing I was hoping for some info on the controls.
-The level intro thing is cool.
-A pause feature would be nice (whoops, I just accidentally exited again)
-Very well polished graphically, and it seems pretty bug-free as well.
-Poor controls. It's hard to aim at stuff (even when it's within striking distance of your face), and you chose to use the RSI-inducing fire method. Make holding space shoot at the maximum rate, so I don't have to keep pressing over and over. If you include a hold-fire feature that doesn't shoot as fast as the tap-fire, it's about as good as not including it (mouse aim would fix the aiming issues, or you could do it gauntlet-style where you just shoot in the direction you move (with simple 8-directional movement) or Smash TV style where you have 4 arrows for moving and 4 arrows for shooting in each of the 4 directions).
-I think because you've included that level timer and the levels are so big (and just to look more professional) you basically have to put in a pause feature.
-I see no reason why the hitboxes on the pickups and the generators should not be bigger.
(Edit: there is a pause feature? I didn't know how to pause, just assumed there wasn't one. This game needs to tell you the controls somewhere, preferably somewhere convenient, or better yet, unmissable.)

Don't get me wrong, I love Gauntlet and I think this game has HUGE potential, just make it more user-friendly (controls, interfaces and file size) and I will love it.
Hopefully this post is helpful to you.

Edited by THE KAPPTIN, 10 September 2008 - 05:14 PM.

I literally have a degree in game development... sucka!!
"I quote myself in my signature." -THE KAPPTIN

#9 Raszlo

Raszlo

GMC Member

• 44 posts

Posted 10 September 2008 - 06:44 PM

The key for pause is in options-controls, youc an even change it :GM7: The problem is that it is not working for now.
I agree that insta-exit at any time of the game is annoying and wrong ;)

#10 THE KAPPTIN

THE KAPPTIN

El Capitano

• 2374 posts

Posted 10 September 2008 - 07:26 PM

Okay, apparently I'm just inept at navigating menus. :GM7:

#11 Nocturne

Nocturne

Nocturne Games

• Administrators
  • 25708 posts

Posted 11 September 2008 - 06:24 AM

Well I wanted criticism... And I must say that your post (THE KAPPTIN) is fantastic! I´ll address your points one at a time...

I notice you used a lot of bitmaps - that's a mistake.

Duely noted... As this is my first ever game, I obviously still have a lot to learn... I will try and make them smaller in the next update...

Also the fact that I can listen to all the sounds and view all the screens (including the "you won the whole game" screen) cheapens the experience for me. It makes me feel more like a designer testing my own game than a player. There's no mystery, and I don't really have to "work for it".

Well, again that´s my noobness showing (from now on take it for granted that I will start every phrase with this!) as I didn´t even know about file encryption until nearly finished the game, by which point I could not figure out how to implement it properly... Future games will have it!

Unskippable intro, annoying.

it´s not unskippable exactly... any key will skip the first part and when Gauntlet appears anykey will skip that too... With hindsight I should have made it completely skippable and will probably change this.

Escape directly exits on the menu too.

A mistake! I forgot to change the settings in GM before making the .exe!

The level intro thing is cool.

Very well polished graphically, and it seems pretty bug-free as well

Some good news! I worked hard on the presentation and on making the game as smooth as possible. As for the graphics I am a graphic-designer/artist by trade...

Poor controls. It's hard to aim at stuff (even when it's within striking distance of your face), and you chose to use the RSI-inducing fire method. Make holding space shoot at the maximum rate

Okay, okay I will fix everything else that I can first and then tackle the controls... I made them how I like them and didn´t realise that everyone would hate them! As for the firing you do not need to repeadedly press space... Hold it down and you have continuous fire, but if you want to fire faster then you have to work at it... or increase the speed stat which will also make you fire faster!

I see no reason why the hitboxes on the pickups and the generators should not be bigger

Well the hit boxes on the generators are all the same size because I used the same spawning script for all and if they were bigger then they wouldn´t spawn as the place_free command would always return false... I will look into changing that too...

This game needs to tell you the controls somewhere

I assumed that everyone was like me and looked through all the menus before playing (in which case you would have found the keys in the options menu...) but I will edit the post to explain them and maybe add them into the help section of the game... Oh and the pause key did work and I have no idea why it´s not anymore. I rogue piece of code I´m sure...

And finally, I must thank you again for taking the time and effort to write down all your thoughts on this game, as having read many posts in this section I see few people being so helpful! I will attempt to address all the issues you have mentioned so please come back in a few days for the updated file!!!

Edited by Mark13673, 11 September 2008 - 02:31 PM.

U1FVsm3.png

40799.png

#12 Nocturne

Nocturne

Nocturne Games

• Administrators
  • 25708 posts

Posted 12 September 2008 - 06:58 AM

MAJOR UPDATE!!!
All known bugs fixed
New 8 way control and direction
Skippable intro
Pause button
Reduced file size

Come on guys, play and post!!! Thanks to The Kapptin this game is better than ever!!!!

U1FVsm3.png

40799.png

#13 Chris Neilson

Chris Neilson

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 726 posts
  • Version:GM8.1

Posted 13 September 2008 - 12:47 AM

http://img34.picoodl...kem_b8d8f60.png
dont find blue key in 22 level.

#14 Orc Leader

Orc Leader

Confused but Grateful

• 609 posts

Posted 13 September 2008 - 03:01 AM

Bravo! I've always loved the Gauntlet series, and this fills the that empty Gauntlet hole I've needed to fill. . . maybe I'm just crazy. Great game, although I have only done two levels I enjoyed them very much, and this will last a long time. (Longer then most GM games.)
The only thing that made me sad was the fact that it had no multiplayer.
"This is Miller, he's fifteen years old. Miller is uh, probably the most rock and roll member of our crew.
He has seven wives and fiftythree children, and uh, he takes cocaine for breakfast, crack for lunch, and heroin for dinner."

-Chris Martin

#15 Nocturne

Nocturne

Nocturne Games

• Administrators
  • 25708 posts

Posted 13 September 2008 - 06:29 AM

Chris, you,re right (sorry) there was no blue key... (OOPS!) It´s a big game and I missed it... The file is being updated as we speak...

Thanks Orc Leader! I´d like to try multiplayer, but as this was my first game it was a bit too much to attempt... Maybe for my next project!

U1FVsm3.png

40799.png

#16 SublimatedDreams

SublimatedDreams

GMC Member

• 8 posts

Posted 13 September 2008 - 08:43 AM

seems very nice... I'll try it :-)

#17 cogexmod5

cogexmod5

GMC Member

• 183 posts

Posted 13 September 2008 - 01:45 PM

Well I like this game... :D
it a bit laggy on my computer but its still good!
Want to be a paid multiplayer programmer for Cogex? Click here.

#18 Nocturne

Nocturne

Nocturne Games

• Administrators
  • 25708 posts

Posted 13 September 2008 - 01:59 PM

Thanks! I worked hard on it... I might try and add a graphics option if more people report problems as there are a lot of things that are there as eye candy eg, shadows, particles etc...

U1FVsm3.png

40799.png

#19 Jenner

Jenner

Jenner

• GMC Member
  • 904 posts

Posted 13 September 2008 - 02:43 PM

The gameplay needs lots of work I think

#20 Nocturne

Nocturne

Nocturne Games

• Administrators
  • 25708 posts

Posted 13 September 2008 - 04:11 PM

In what exactly? It is a TDS with fantasy elements... Have you played the original Gauntlet? (in terms of content it had less than this and was an incredibly fun game!) How far did you get in the game as each monster (25 in all...) has a distinct AI, there are a number (12) of different power ups, there are teleporters, traps etc... So what didn´t you like?

U1FVsm3.png

40799.png

#21 Orc Leader

Orc Leader

Confused but Grateful

• 609 posts

Posted 13 September 2008 - 06:18 PM

Alright found something wrong. When using the power-up that says, "More firepower" the bullets shoot out wrong. (Screen shot) When you get "More Strength" power-up it makes you move to the right when you are not holding any keys.
I also suggest in the Reliquary levels the spikes don't come up until you cross over them. . . I died from them because I didn't know what they were.

-E-D-I-T-

Any tips for level seven? I can't get past the flamethrowers. Got it!

Edited by Orc Leader, 13 September 2008 - 07:42 PM.

"This is Miller, he's fifteen years old. Miller is uh, probably the most rock and roll member of our crew.
He has seven wives and fiftythree children, and uh, he takes cocaine for breakfast, crack for lunch, and heroin for dinner."

-Chris Martin

#22 THE KAPPTIN

THE KAPPTIN

El Capitano

• 2374 posts

Posted 13 September 2008 - 09:57 PM

I notice you used a lot of bitmaps - that's a mistake.

Duely noted... As this is my first ever game, I obviously still have a lot to learn... I will try and make them smaller in the next update...

Well, again that´s my noobness showing (from now on take it for granted that I will start every phrase with this!) as I didn´t even know about file encryption until nearly finished the game, by which point I could not figure out how to implement it properly... Future games will have it!

Glad you appreciated the feedback. I was overly harsh, sorry. Probably just jealous of your graphics.

You don't need to worry about file encryption, just don't use any external resources (i.e. do it the easy way instead), save your sprites/backgrounds/tiles etc directly in GM. Then it just keeps them all inside the executable where no one else can see them.
Your save file is really easy to cheat though. At very least you should change the file extension to some random thing so it’s not totally obvious that you can edit it with Notepad. Or you could encrypt it. My favourite way is to just use GMs built in saving system (and have it save on the menu or title screen instead of in-game).

About file size: I think just changing the bmps to jpgs would pretty much do this, but keep in mind with future games that people generally won't want to download anything that's more than a couple MB, max. Anything over ten is considered huge (so it better be really good). Most people with huge files will offer an alternate version with no music, as the music is usually what's responsible if you have a big file size. People on broadband expect to be able to dl a game in no more than a couple minutes, and usually closer to 30 seconds.

Re: auto fire & fire rate: I see. That does explain why the auto fire rate was so slow as a warrior. But looking at it from a game design point of view: does it make sense to give the player the choice you're giving him? He basically has to decide whether a faster fire rate is worth getting sore wrists, which maybe takes the focus away from the game itself a bit. Keeping in mind that speed is going to affect fire rate, my choice as the designer would be to limit the fire rate no matter whether the user taps the key repeatedly or holds it. Reinforces the RPG feel and decreases your game's RSI-inducement factor. (And if I did that, I might increase the warrior's fire rate a bit, as it is pretty painfully slow :)).
Letting them tap the key fast to fire fast sort of invalidates the speed characteristic, especially when speed is really low.

The videos seem to lag. Not sure what you could do about that.. maybe do it with animated images / particles / objects instead.

Anyway.. I played as an archer, I say I like the new controls a lot better. Though it is a personal issue; if you have time to kill you might want to include the other method and let the player pick which one to use in the options menu.

I opened a chest, there was a screen telling me death walks the land, and then I died. It was pretty lame, I have to say. Think about it & decide if you want the player to randomly die sometimes after opening a chest.

#23 Nocturne

Nocturne

Nocturne Games

• Administrators
  • 25708 posts

Posted 13 September 2008 - 10:13 PM

Hey Kapptin! Thanks! Your feedback is great... I´ll only comment briefly on what you say (as I´m fixing the bugs mentioned in the post before yours...)...

I´m polling friends on the rate of fire thing so I don´t know what to do...
As for the videos, well I have none! It´s all done with particles and a couple of text gifs. It must be the particles that lag...

In the original Gauntlet there was always the possibility that death would pop out of a chest and so I kept the concept. Basically if you get that message...RUN! (there should be a short pause between him appearing and him starting to chase you. Of course with the surprise I suppose it´s easy for him to get you... I´ll maybe add a note to the first post warning of this possibility...)

Thanks again, bare with me and keep playing!!!

U1FVsm3.png

40799.png

#24 Chris Neilson

Chris Neilson

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 726 posts

Posted 13 September 2008 - 11:19 PM

http://img34.picoodl...llm_f96314d.png
get stuck while pick up orange potion start spin player.

#25 Nocturne

Nocturne

Nocturne Games

• Administrators
  • 25708 posts

Posted 13 September 2008 - 11:23 PM

I´m fixing the potion bugs right now but won´t be able to upload until tomorrow... Ill edit when they are done!

U1FVsm3.png

40799.png

#26 Raszlo

Raszlo

GMC Member

• 44 posts

Posted 13 September 2008 - 11:28 PM

What's wrong with those tiles in your screenshot?
BTW. Got stuck in the same place some time ago :)

#27 Nocturne

Nocturne

Nocturne Games

• Administrators
  • 25708 posts

Posted 14 September 2008 - 12:05 AM

I had the same problem when I tested this on a friends laptop... The graphics were completely screwed up! But I´ve yet to see it on an ordinary PC...

U1FVsm3.png

40799.png

#28 Orc Leader

Orc Leader

Confused but Grateful

• 609 posts

Posted 14 September 2008 - 01:58 AM

Alright just beat the game, and had a great time playing it! Level 29 was the hardest really. . . would have been easier if I had more potions.
I also had to beat a level with Death following me...

Edited by Orc Leader, 14 September 2008 - 01:59 AM.

-Chris Martin

#29 THE KAPPTIN

THE KAPPTIN

El Capitano

• 2374 posts

Posted 14 September 2008 - 02:26 AM

In the original Gauntlet there was always the possibility that death would pop out of a chest and so I kept the concept. Basically if you get that message...RUN! (there should be a short pause between him appearing and him starting to chase you. Of course with the surprise I suppose it´s easy for him to get you... I´ll maybe add a note to the first post warning of this possibility...)

Hehe, that is exactly what I expected you to say. IMO it probably should just be a lot easier to survive, like maybe make the delay before he starts chasing you much longer. As a player having that happen for the first time, your reaction is sort of just "...what? oh, I'm dead. exit..." I assume that you as the programmer always knew that was going to happen, so you knew to start running away immediately, but players won't necessarily do that. Maybe there was some lag or something when I did it too, because it seemed like I just saw death, and then my guy exploded. I didn't notice any pause that would have permitted me to start running.

Also... did u know the death in Gauntlet Legends just drains your life (and only 100 pts of it at that)? Making th game easier is not necessarily a bad thing. Even if he doesn't kill you directly, he can still be scary.

#30 Nocturne

Nocturne

Nocturne Games

• Administrators
  • 25708 posts

Posted 14 September 2008 - 07:23 AM

UPDATED! (again!) If you play on Yoyo, don´t forget to go to your downloads and copy the Master.ini file before updating or you´ll lose your key bindings and level progress!!!

This update fixes the potion bugs (Thanks Orc Leader) and I have added a visible 5 second timer on Death if he pops out of a chest (Thanks Kapptin!). death still kills you instantly on contact as i like it more that way... he is DEATH after all :) !!!!!

U1FVsm3.png

40799.png

#31 Chris Neilson

Chris Neilson

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 726 posts

Posted 14 September 2008 - 02:02 PM

What's wrong with those tiles in your screenshot?
BTW. Got stuck in the same place some time ago :)

http://img29.picoodl...llm_4ff83e4.png
texture size 3008x64. my computer has card graphic size 1024px.
Gm on background see size 3008x64 and resize to 2048x128 better.

#32 Orc Leader

Orc Leader

Confused but Grateful

• 609 posts

Posted 14 September 2008 - 09:42 PM

Hope you win in Cage Match!

-Chris Martin

#33 Nocturne

Nocturne

Nocturne Games

• Administrators
  • 25708 posts

Posted 14 September 2008 - 09:55 PM

As they say here in spain "Que majo!, Gracias!" As for you completeing the game, what did you think of all the different monsters? Which was your favorite? I personally love the Summoners, the Ice elementals and the Fire Elementals... And have you played in Champion Mode?

U1FVsm3.png

40799.png

#34 Chris Neilson

Chris Neilson

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 726 posts

Posted 15 September 2008 - 04:24 PM

I bore player all time with 30 level. need more level.

#35 novaz

novaz

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 592 posts
  • Version:Unknown

Posted 15 September 2008 - 05:07 PM

great game :D

#36 Sprites Toolbox

Sprites Toolbox

GMC Member

• 155 posts

Posted 15 September 2008 - 05:17 PM

For a reason when i attack it sais that it does not recognise the speed variable or something. This everytime i release the attack button.

#37 StupidStudios

StupidStudios

Evil Spambot

• GMC Member
  • 270 posts
  • Version:Unknown

Posted 15 September 2008 - 05:22 PM

Having the same problem... could be a nice game with a little more work on the ingame graphics, no bugs and more enemys.

#38 Nocturne

Nocturne

Nocturne Games

• Administrators
  • 25708 posts

Posted 15 September 2008 - 05:29 PM

Ive just played on yoyo games and had no such problem... Is it right on the first level or does it start later? There was a problem with this due to my rushing an update and not playtesting (Stupid me!) but its fixed now... Look and see if you have to update the game...

EDIT: The error seems to be in the MyFreeFileHostingDownload... I know I updated it but it seems I may have pasted the wrong link and am investigating... SORRY! (I AM A NOOB!!!! :D )

Edited by Mark13673, 15 September 2008 - 05:39 PM.

U1FVsm3.png

40799.png

#39 pure_evil020

pure_evil020

GMC Member

• 1479 posts

Posted 16 September 2008 - 03:29 AM

Awsum game. looks professional. this game could be sold (if it hasnt already)..
I cant seem to think of any critisism, but I would like to see more fighting options. more hand to hand combat.
Posted Image
Software, malware, and file removal program.

#40 Carnivac

Carnivac

The Hunter

• GMC Member
  • 3300 posts

Posted 16 September 2008 - 09:08 AM

looks professional.

No, it doesn't.

this game could be sold (if it hasnt already)..

No, it couldn't. Certainly not without infringing on the copyright of the original Atari game.

Anyways sorry I just didn't like this at all. Most of the crits have been mentioned already by this point (here and on Retro Remakes who you should have listened to), especially about the controls. I don't think the original Gauntlet has aged that well (though it's still great fun in multiplayer, as I do occasionally play it in four player with the PC hooked up the TV, two people on joypads, two people on the dual x-arcade joysticks) but this isn't even a fraction as good as it and it's really, really ugly. You really have to work on learning about depth and form and color usage when doing graphics rather than slapping photoshoppy blurriness all over the place.

Sorry I didn't want to sound too harsh but I can't find anything I actually like about this game, and I think it's an extremely poor remake with some bad choices.

#41 Nocturne

Nocturne

Nocturne Games

• Administrators
  • 25708 posts

Posted 16 September 2008 - 11:17 AM

Fair enought...and thank you for posting your thoughts!

I don´t understand your problem (and those of Retro Remakes) with the graphics... I wanted to make them colourfull and entertaining with a certain degree of realism and I think I succeeded. As for the game, I repeat, IT IS NOT A REMAKE!!! It is a personal vision of Gauntlet, done how I like it FOR ME!!!! If anyone else likes it then I am very happy... If no-one else likes it then I am just as happy...

Oh and I am noting ALL comments on this game as I will be making more and all crits are GOOD crits even if they are negative (more often than not the negative ones are the best!)... As for your comment on bad choices, could you specify as I´m interested in your point of view (I´ve read more of your posts and played your games and it´s obvious that you know a fair bit...).

U1FVsm3.png

40799.png

#42 Chris Neilson

Chris Neilson

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 726 posts

Posted 16 September 2008 - 12:48 PM

http://img34.picoodl...elm_f803d65.png
I still player long and 30 level all completed and back to 1 level I borringg all time you need more level 1 thru 100.

#43 Alert Games

Alert Games

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1119 posts
  • Version:GM8

Posted 17 September 2008 - 11:51 PM

menu looks great! but when i play the game i get a surface error.

it says that its trying to draw the nonexisting surface for the wall. my graphics card sucks, so i do get surface problems with stuff, but usally theres a way to fix it. i tried aborting and reloading the game but it still didnt work. ;)

or is there an option not to use surfaces?

#44 Chris Neilson

Chris Neilson

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 726 posts

Posted 18 September 2008 - 01:18 AM

ERROR in
action number 1
of Draw Event
for object WallShadow:

Trying to use non-existing surface.

when start player on level and wall start shadow on goto error.

Posted Image

Edited by Chris Neilson, 18 September 2008 - 01:24 AM.

#45 Nocturne

Nocturne

Nocturne Games

• Administrators
  • 25708 posts

Posted 18 September 2008 - 06:01 AM

Sorry guys, I did state in the first post that this game may cause problems due to it´s surfaces, particles etc... Adding a graphics option is possible but will be difficult for me to implement. I will investigate and see what I can do...

U1FVsm3.png

40799.png

#46 Chris Neilson

Chris Neilson

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 726 posts

Posted 26 September 2008 - 11:20 PM

Gauntlet Labyrinth Construction Kit has been collapse.

Mark13673, Hi I get genetica 2.5 pro I make texture floor and wall for gauntlet.

Here my texture
Posted Image
Wall and floor will put graphic another gauntlet.

Edited by Chris Neilson, 28 September 2008 - 06:48 PM.

#47 Chris Neilson

Chris Neilson

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 726 posts

Posted 05 October 2008 - 09:31 PM

Please no more avdenture.. please closed or deleted this topic.

#48 Nocturne

Nocturne

Nocturne Games

• Administrators
  • 25708 posts

Posted 25 December 2008 - 08:19 AM

Major Update News...

There have been repeated reports that the game gives an error on some computers due to the extremely large surface that I used to draw the shadows... THIS HAS BEEN FIXED!!! The game should now be completely stable on any/most computers (although laptops may still have some glitches, but that can´t be fixed.).

Oh and the game is now a "Featured" game on the YoYo games website!!!!

U1FVsm3.png

40799.png

#49 Shiek2005

Shiek2005

GMC Member

• 23 posts

Posted 25 December 2008 - 09:39 PM

The game is a bit challanging so far, but i think it's mostly due to the controls, if i had a gamepad (and could be used with this game) i'm sure it'ld be perfect. There's no animation when the character shoots projectiles which seemed a bit odd to me and potions (not the ones to replenish health, but the ones that damaged enemies) which i believe were not in the original Gauntlet game but appeared in Gauntlet Legends and beyond were also missing which disappointed me a little.

Overall a pretty good game in it's own right, so far i like it and plan to continue playing it, great music too and the graphics are pretty nice too.

Not a perfect game mind you, but one worth checking out.

#50 Calabitale

Calabitale

GMC Member

• 26 posts

Posted 26 December 2008 - 02:28 PM

Its not bad, I like it. I have a problem with the movement and aiming though, its hard to stand still and shoot diagonaly as it snaps to the last released key so unless I release the two keys at exactly the same time I cant point diagonally.