GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 236 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 05 September 2008 - 12:59 PM

GameMaker Scope Magazine

Website | Forum | Old Topic

Issue 05 - Out Now!
No, not The Unofficial GameMaker Magazine, or not anymore at least. We have renamed the magazine. We have worked very, very hard on this issue, I have spent a massive amount of time on this issue, more than any other.
I hope that you like it, and as usual, please reply after download and reading it issue.
This is what you can read after downloading our latest issue:

NEWS
News at GMS

ARTICLES
Spam on YoYoGames.com
Cross-Platfroming Game Maker
Making a Good Game

TUTORIALS & GUIDES
Monthly Models
Small Scripts
Cheat System
How to make our game faster

REVIEWS
Action Shooter
Sixty Five Million & 1BC
Dark Hive
MADHOUSE
Ansonteris 4: Schmerz
Return to Sector9

EXCLUSIVES
Action Shooter
Interview: Drewdelz
Interview: EDGE
Preview: Crimson Star
Preview: CrimeLife 3

EXTRAS
GameMakerBlog.com
Cheaters Heaven
6 Hot GM games Monthly
Top 10 GM games
Advertisements
Fun Zone: Enhanced
Comic
Final

To view the magazine, it is imperative that you have the latest PDF viewer installed. You can download Adobe Reader 8 for free here.

GameMaker Scope Magazine issues available:

ISSUE 05 - November 2008 - 5.85 MB - 36 Pages
Download Mirrors:
Instant Arts

Old Unofficial GameMaker Magazine issues:

ISSUE 04 - June 2008 - 3.3 MB - 39 Pages
Download Mirrors:
Instant Arts
Will Host For Food

ISSUE 03 - April 2008 - 8.6 MB - 37 Pages
Download Mirrors:
Instant Arts
Mediafire
Will Host for Food

ISSUE 02 - March 2008 - 5.9 MB - 27 Pages
Download Mirrors:
Instant Arts
Mediafire
Will Host for Food

ISSUE 01 - February 2008 - 1.8 MB - 13 Pages
Download Mirrors:
Instant Arts
Mediafire
Will Host for Food

Watch out for Issue 06 arriving on your monitors in October 2008.
EDIT: Clearly this never happened...

The GMS Team

Edited by Mattthew_H, 10 August 2009 - 09:01 AM.

#2 desertdweller

desertdweller

Love Truth

• 1255 posts

Posted 05 September 2008 - 05:44 PM

Huh? You closed the other topic so that you could start a new one? You changed the magazine name, by adding "Scope" to the title, but does that necessitate a new topic?

"We have no government armed with power capable of contending with human passions unbridled by morality and religion . . .
our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." - John Adams

Working on music off and on. School gets in the way. My site's a mess of non-updatedness.

#3 Mattthew_H

Mattthew_H

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 236 posts

Posted 05 September 2008 - 09:32 PM

We may be merng the two topics over soon, we'll just have to wait an see I guess.

EDIT: We will leave it all here, but you can still read the previous comments from the old topic.
I thourght that we would preffer a freash start, but I understand if you would still like to read all of the other comments, that it why it is still there, maybe it is locked, but you can still read everything and reply to comments on there, just reply to them from here; as long as you keep the quote tags on it.

Thanks and does anyone want to comment?

-Matt

Edited by Mattthew_H, 05 September 2008 - 11:28 PM.

#4 imaginestudios

imaginestudios

GMC Member

• 67 posts

Posted 06 September 2008 - 01:20 PM

oh wow! this certainly has much much much more effort put into it than i would have expected (i mean, look at the pathetic amount of replies).

haha i hope this brings the topic back up to the top, and revive this thread for this awesomesque magazine.

however, i do really believe, personally, that while this is indeed a solid offering, it lacks, well, freshness. how about take this chance, since this is a pretty new venture, to try something completely different. try to move away from the more standard formats, since gmtech and markup are not the easiest of competition. think about the way pcgamer and edge have gone completely different ways.

#5 KC LC

KC LC

Ex-Administrator

• GMC Elder
  • 5309 posts

Posted 06 September 2008 - 01:35 PM

Well... you might get more replies wiith a working link on your website. Duh...

Of course, you do have a link in your first post, but it's named June 2008, instead of November 2008. Duh... Duh...

And finally, there's the brilliant announcement on your website:

We have now gotten the site up and runing, and best of all, this time there is no errors!

Would you like your dope slap now... or later? :D Just teasing, but you really ought to check these things before you post.
Geometricks 3D Rendering Demo / In Silico 3D Kinematics Simulation
Warped Space 3D Gravity Simulation / Surface Explorer Animated Surface Demo
Oscilloscope Animated Lissajous Figures

Featured Games at YoYo: Drop in the Bucket, Tut's Test(3rd place competition winner)

Older games at: Flying Banjo Games

#6 anonymouss

anonymouss

Wanna Play?

• 1018 posts

Posted 06 September 2008 - 06:59 PM

If you changed the name without any mention to it in this topic, then it sure as hell isn't Issue 5. It's issue 1.

#7 homebrewpc

homebrewpc

GMC Member

• 651 posts

Posted 06 September 2008 - 07:07 PM

If you changed the name without any mention to it in this topic, then it sure as hell isn't Issue 5. It's issue 1.

Usually I completely agree with you...but what are you talking about? He mentioned it, and linked to the old issues... :D

Anyways, magazine looks great!

GMArcade is being remade into iPlayIndie, check out our development topic for more information.

#8 afrothunder

afrothunder

AfroTHUNDER!

• 141 posts

Posted 17 September 2008 - 01:05 AM

This was a great issue, I don't think a new topic should've been made though. The old topic should've been kept but with a changed title.
My website: http://osvaldojr.com
My Puzzle Game, Way To GoAL!
-------------------------------------------
Start your games from a web browser!

#9 Mattthew_H

Mattthew_H

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 236 posts

Posted 18 September 2008 - 08:32 AM

Thanks everyone!
I hope that issue 6 is much better then this issue, as I have planed a fare bit for it and it may be slightly delayed, to make the issue as high-a quality as we can get it to be.

But why so little reply's? I've worked over 3 months on that issue, getting it to where is, and you will see some of the content taken out of issue 5, in issue 6.

-Matt

#10 SquareWheel

SquareWheel

Square Wheel Games

• 851 posts
  • Version:Unknown

Posted 18 September 2008 - 08:38 AM

ARTCILES

If you want to look professional, the least you could do is proofread your posts. And bold works just fine for sub-headers, there is no need for a full capitalization.

edit: And a working link helps that professionalism aspect as well.

Edited by SquareWheel, 18 September 2008 - 08:39 AM.

Cook Console | Editor Engine | Mass File Namer

All of my examples are publicly available and can be found at

#11 Mattthew_H

Mattthew_H

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 236 posts

Posted 25 September 2008 - 08:53 AM

Hello All! :)

GameMaker Scope Magazine is now hiring once again! This time under the name GMS.

Well, lets get right down to what we need then. :)

Name: Number needed: What you will be doing:

Writer | 5 | Every second issue, you will be asked to write at least one full article for the magazine, either by request by myself or you could even ask myself about the article before writing on any topic you desire.
Reviewer | 2 | Being a reviewer, you get to try out the newest GM games every issue! In this, you may choose a game, then tell myself the game, and will either approve or disprove of the reviewing. You may also have the chance to do exclusive reviews when available.
Tutorial writer | 2 | When signing up for a tutorial writer, you may write one or more tutorials a issue, as like all of the other positions, you must tell myself what you are writing the tutorial about before writing it. The difference here is you may choose any tutorial to write about, if it gets approved of course.
Assistant Leader | 1 | This position is a very important one, you will be working straight with the leading staff. Your job will be one, if not, the most important jobs in the entire magazine! You will edit each issue, with spelling, grammar and also may decide if some things may go into the magazine or not. You must have good organizational skill and social skills, as you will be communicating with many people.
Walk though writer| 1 | In this team spot, you will be asked to write one complete game walk though each issue, this may be an easy task, if you do have trouble though, you may ask the creator of the game for assistance with this piece.

NOTES:
1. All conversations and organizing will be done over the forums and if applicable, MSN/Yahoo IM.
2. You may write more than one of the above, one is just the minimum per issue.
3. You must send the information in the format below to myself to be served and possibly join the team.
4. We will get back to you as soon as possible, if you have the PM in the format below, then we can get back to you as soon as possible. If you are acceptable for the position, then we will send you what we would like you to write about as an example of your work in an unexpected topic.

Formatting:
If signing up, please send a PM to myself in the following format:
Name:
Position:
TimeZone:
Time Available per week:
Best way of contacting:
Experience in the specific field:

------
Also, issue 6 will bring some new things to GM Magazines never seen before. Development is going good, but could be much better if we had more staff

-Matt

Edited by Mattthew_H, 26 September 2008 - 01:05 AM.

#12 rinkuhero

rinkuhero

Paul Eres

• GMC Member
  • 1919 posts

Posted 25 September 2008 - 09:00 AM

Is this for pay? If not, you shouldn't really call it "hiring" if you aren't paying anything. "Asking for volunteers" seems more accurate...

It's nostalgic for me to see GM magazines actually, because before I used Game Maker I used an engine called the Ohrrpgce, and edited a magazine called Ohrrpgce Monthly between 2000 and 2002. It's weird how different game engine communities work in similar ways; it's like history repeating.

#13 Mattthew_H

Mattthew_H

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 236 posts

Posted 25 September 2008 - 09:54 AM

Is this for pay? If not, you shouldn't really call it "hiring" if you aren't paying anything. "Asking for volunteers" seems more accurate...

It's nostalgic for me to see GM magazines actually, because before I used Game Maker I used an engine called the Ohrrpgce, and edited a magazine called Ohrrpgce Monthly between 2000 and 2002. It's weird how different game engine communities work in similar ways; it's like history repeating.

Good point :)

Was the magazine any good? Do you have a link to any of the issues available? And :) I think that people make magazines based about there development program that they use because they want to make some journalism or something out of it, I really can't explain why I started GMS...It just came to me really.

I should also mention that there sometimes is benifits when being a member of GMS, as some of the staff will know by today about the e-mail they recided. You may receive benefits from either directly from Instant Arts, or from a third party partner with either Instant Arts or GMS, even though GMS is owned by Instant Arts.

-Matt

#14 desertdweller

desertdweller

Love Truth

• 1255 posts

Posted 25 September 2008 - 01:51 PM

cheat=get_string("Enter cheat",'')
score-=100
ifcheat=�‚œMore Health'{health=100 exit}
ifcheat=�‚œTake half of health'{health=50 exit}
ifcheat=�‚œTake half of oppositions health'{with(obj_enemy){hp/=2}exit}
ifcheat=�‚œNext room'{room_goto_next() exit}
show_message('Incorrect cheat')
score+=100 exit

I was rather disappointed, because it is much better to accomplish this with a switch statement if you are just going to be comparing "cheat" with a bunch of other variables. That could compact your script even more, and make it simpler to understand.

Your grammar and spelling have improved much over the issues. However, I still think you're too wordy, in that sometimes your sentences would just be plain awkward to say.

I'll look into writing an issue, as you had asked. Perhaps you could PM me some details about article formats?

it's like history repeating.

Always and forever.

Edited by desertdweller, 25 September 2008 - 07:31 PM.

"We have no government armed with power capable of contending with human passions unbridled by morality and religion . . .
our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." - John Adams

Working on music off and on. School gets in the way. My site's a mess of non-updatedness.

#15 rinkuhero

rinkuhero

Paul Eres

• GMC Member
  • 1919 posts

Posted 25 September 2008 - 04:12 PM

Good point :)

Was the magazine any good? Do you have a link to any of the issues available? And :) I think that people make magazines based about there development program that they use because they want to make some journalism or something out of it, I really can't explain why I started GMS...It just came to me really.

I should also mention that there sometimes is benifits when being a member of GMS, as some of the staff will know by today about the e-mail they recided. You may receive benefits from either directly from Instant Arts, or from a third party partner with either Instant Arts or GMS, even though GMS is owned by Instant Arts.

-Matt

Here's a link to the Ohrrpgce Monthly magazines, maybe you can get a few ideas for your magazine from what I did back in the day:

http://castleparadox.com/rinku/Septa/

#16 masterofhisowndomain

masterofhisowndomain

The Designer

• GMC Member
  • 3650 posts
  • Version:GM8.1

Posted 25 September 2008 - 04:23 PM

Well I liked the magazine and felt it looked pretty professional, in fact (although I have little time on my hands (enough to contribute though)) I am considering joining the team, since my reviewing skills are going to waste in the mean time.. :)

List Of Mods And Add-Ons

(Things you must try, for the games you already have)

Insightful links:
Higher Order Fun -- Game Design, Maths.
The Missing Concept -- Career/Hobby?
Neither Career Nor Hobby -- Career/Hobby?
Wario Land 4 Project -- Platformer design.

#17 NakedPaulToast

NakedPaulToast

GM Studio/Mac/Win

• GMC Member
  • 8808 posts

Posted 25 September 2008 - 04:31 PM

Do you honestly think you are going to get anybody to contribute to your magazine, knowing that if things don't work out, you're going to publicly smear them. You have absolutely no class.

You should probably add another important qualification to people consider helping you.

Must be willing to cater to the whim of an adolescent control freak.

Edited by NakedPaulToast, 25 September 2008 - 05:07 PM.

If the Bible truly is inspired by God, you would think that somebody as omnipotent and all-knowing would have known to get his message out using TCP instead of UDP.

#18 FredFredrickson

FredFredrickson

Artist

• Global Moderators
  • 9225 posts

Posted 25 September 2008 - 04:41 PM

I agree NPT, and if this childishness continues, this topic is doomed. Doooooomed.

#19 masterofhisowndomain

masterofhisowndomain

The Designer

• GMC Member
  • 3650 posts
  • Version:GM8.1

Posted 25 September 2008 - 07:32 PM

Do you honestly think you are going to get anybody to contribute to your magazine, knowing that if things don't work out, you're going to publicly smear them. You have absolutely no class.
Must be willing to cater to the whim of an adolescent control freak.

Yes that is a bit out of order. If I did join I would not stand for public humiliation for one minute or be out to cater to your every whim, I'd want to contribute to a magazine, not someone's ego..

List Of Mods And Add-Ons

(Things you must try, for the games you already have)

Insightful links:
Higher Order Fun -- Game Design, Maths.
The Missing Concept -- Career/Hobby?
Neither Career Nor Hobby -- Career/Hobby?
Wario Land 4 Project -- Platformer design.

#20 desertdweller

desertdweller

Love Truth

• 1255 posts

Posted 25 September 2008 - 07:35 PM

The "Issues" part of your website is a broken link.

#21 Lycondone

Lycondone

GMC Member

• 268 posts

Posted 25 September 2008 - 08:00 PM

If you really want to bring in a lot more people, you must fix all of your spelling mistakes. I found some of them on your site.

"We have now gotten the site up and runing, and best of all, this time there is no errors!
We have also releaced issue 5 of GMS, witch you can download from here."

Also, fix the broken links on your site (which is most of them).

Don't forget to spell check :whistle:.
Examples:
Combo box

Currently working on:
Secret

#22 Camman

Camman

UnReal Software CEO

• GMC Member
  • 639 posts

Posted 26 September 2008 - 01:14 AM

You do know it is September, and next month is October.... right? (Just saying because the subtitle of the topic says "Issue 5 [Nov]")

#23 Mattthew_H

Mattthew_H

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 236 posts

Posted 26 September 2008 - 01:21 AM

I just thought that people may want to know why they will not be listed in next issue and why they where 'fired'.

Anyway, I have now removed the news section from my other post. I guess I will learn from this.

I'll also try and fix up the site again, but when ever I upload it, it seems as if the links change, I don't know why, It may have been from another file that it is reading it off, either way, they will be fixed soon.
Also, I was using Notepad for that site, so that is probably why there was so many spelling mistakes, I'm now fixing the site up in Adobe Dreamweaver.

Also thanks for the link Rinkuhero, I also hope that this can give me some ideas. I've already added some new ones for issue 6, but I think that it could do with some more maybe - Thanks again Rinkuhero!

EDIT: I've fixed the site up now, it should work, if there are any problems, please PM me as soon as you notice them.

Good point Camman, but, the release date for issue 6 was set at November, but the day I started development, I changed it to October. So I've now changed that too.

Edited by Mattthew_H, 26 September 2008 - 01:42 AM.

#24 Lycondone

Lycondone

GMC Member

• 268 posts

Posted 26 September 2008 - 12:57 PM

Sorry, I forgot to also say that spell checking can't fix every mistake. If anything you should proofread what you have written before saying there is no more mistakes. (That means there are still errors :whistle: )
Examples:
Combo box

Currently working on:
Secret