2265 replies to this topic

#1831 makerofthegames

makerofthegames

Never you mind!

• GMC Member
  • 7526 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 08 November 2009 - 07:16 PM

You should have sold that game for money...

Agreed.
You would make lots of money man.
Imagine: Iji as an extra job.

Only one flaw in that plan..If he had charged money for it from the beginning almost nobody would pay for it because noone knew how awesome it was.

You can't truely know untill you play the game yourself. :)
[/opinion]

#1832 Maxinston

Maxinston

Epic Phail

• GMC Member
  • 1248 posts
  • Version:Unknown

Posted 08 November 2009 - 09:35 PM

You should have sold that game for money...

Agreed.
You would make lots of money man.
Imagine: Iji as an extra job.

Only one flaw in that plan..If he had charged money for it from the beginning almost nobody would pay for it because noone knew how awesome it was.

You can't truely know untill you play the game yourself. :)
[/opinion]

He could make a demo demonstrating the actual game...

#1833 Supermini_man

Supermini_man

its party time

• 65 posts

Posted 09 November 2009 - 10:46 AM

Still he said that wanted to make games as a hobby, not a job. Besides that there are some license issues that Iji would have if wasn't freeware.

#1834 MGermundsson

MGermundsson

GMC Member

• 21 posts

Posted 12 November 2009 - 03:10 PM

I liked this game VERY much! You should upload it on Yoyogames! ^_^

#1835 krele

krele

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 624 posts

Posted 12 November 2009 - 03:31 PM

Still he said that wanted to make games as a hobby, not a job. Besides that there are some license issues that Iji would have if wasn't freeware.

Like what? He could've invested some money for third party music. He probably got it off newgrounds, most of people there would charge like, 3-5$ per track...

#1836 Ultimortal

Ultimortal

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 365 posts

Posted 12 November 2009 - 04:49 PM

Supermini_man is correct, also it would be the lousiest hourly wage ever to sell Iji, especially since I would want to split it with the actors, musicians and testers. There's no way I could have worked full time on it, the month-long breaks and being able to work whenever I wanted were a requirement for something this large. Iji as a job would be terrible!

The things in the game I or HyperDuck do not own the rights to is the credits song and the sound effects (except voices, which I recorded). Though I modified the sound effects, I couldn't charge for a game including them.

krele, the soundtrack was made by friends without profit before they became HyperDuck. Actually some people on Newgrounds are claiming credit for Chris's songs from the Iji soundtrack - nice userbase they got there! I wouldn't want to associate with that site either way, and I wouldn't use someone's work without both asking first and crediting them.

#1837 julien7777

julien7777

GMC Member

• 12 posts

Posted 14 November 2009 - 11:57 PM

Best Effing Game Maker game I have ever played!

I have collected all the posters, scrambler, massacre, etc and have beaten the game a couple of times. Still can't get past the bonus sectors to get the null driver though B)

The ingame comments are very funny, and the story is very impressive and well thought out. Graphics are a bit flat, but only a bit; and it still looks great!

Final boss animations are incredible and the weapons and combos are pretty creative too.

10/10

you should have sold it, you would have made a fortune. :P

#1838 That guy behind you

That guy behind you

Local Psychopath

• 1093 posts

Posted 15 November 2009 - 03:19 PM

Just out of curiosity, in the Iji-verse, are humans directly descended from the Tasen? Or just a species that happened to evolve after they left?

Edited by That guy behind you, 15 November 2009 - 03:22 PM.

#1839 coolist

coolist

The Coolist

• 913 posts

Posted 15 November 2009 - 08:01 PM

Posted ImageX5

#1840 Kyon

Kyon

Creator of Dirkels

• GMC Member
  • 4241 posts

Posted 15 November 2009 - 09:08 PM

Posted ImageX5

???????????

#1841 Ultimortal

Ultimortal

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 365 posts

Posted 16 November 2009 - 11:23 AM

you should have sold it, you would have made a fortune. ::lmao::

Again, let's say I could sell it and somehow would make a lot of money. I still wouldn't want to, since I want my hobby games freeware so as many people as possible could play them, and selling something brings a whole new responsibility to answering questions and updating it.

Just out of curiosity, in the Iji-verse, are humans directly descended from the Tasen? Or just a species that happened to evolve after they left?

I never fully decided on those things to write about them in-game, as they weren't meaningful to the story. But the idea was that the Komato came first from some ancient mammal, left Earth, and the Tasen evolved from them later once they had started colonizing planets. Other species of that ancient mammal left on Earth would remain primitive, go on to become the apes, and eventually humans. I never set a timeframe for the Komato's history, it's simpler to just say "a really long time ago". :)

One idea that didn't make it into the game stated that the Tasen were leftovers from when the Komato started altering themselves with bioengineering at a rapid pace, once they had claimed Nanotechnology from another warlike species they encountered and destroyed. A logbook about the Velocithor implies it. That's why the Tasen were seen as inferior from the start. Under their helmets the Komato look engineered and unnatural, but I decided to never show it to keep the mystery about them.

Edited by Ultimortal, 16 November 2009 - 11:24 AM.

#1842 makerofthegames

makerofthegames

Never you mind!

• GMC Member
  • 7526 posts

Posted 16 November 2009 - 12:20 PM

What..?

Is this a religion, or a game? ;)

#1843 coolist

coolist

The Coolist

• 913 posts

Posted 16 November 2009 - 08:33 PM

It's supposed to be a star but apparently the site doesn't like hot linking. XD

#1844 Ultimortal

Ultimortal

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 365 posts

Posted 17 November 2009 - 05:00 PM

makerofthegames: It's just the backstory. :p Even when writing something short it's good to have a well-planned story behind it. Typing out all the details and history and stuff would just bore the player, but having it in mind as an inspiration to build upon sets the scene and lets the story almost write itself.

I would say, if I knew the first thing about writing.

#1845 ev149

ev149

NinetySix Design

• GMC Member
  • 1035 posts

Posted 18 November 2009 - 10:26 PM

NVM

Edited by ev149, 22 November 2009 - 08:38 PM.

#1846 Yukabacera

Yukabacera

GMC Member

• 88 posts

Posted 06 December 2009 - 10:11 PM

Well, I finally finished my fanfic :blink: Here it is, if anyone wants to read it... it's a Sailor Moon crossover by the way.

http://www.fanfictio...oldiers_of_Love

#1847 orange08

orange08

Art Game Movement

• GMC Member
  • 2254 posts
  • Version:GM:HTML5

Posted 08 December 2009 - 07:29 PM

Someone needs to try to make a game that's just as good/better than Iji.

And yes... It's possible (with lotsa hard work and five years)
So if you wanna get a topic like Iji- GET TO WORK! 2015 is the deadline :lol:

-orange08

#1848 Ultimortal

Ultimortal

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 365 posts

Posted 11 December 2009 - 08:23 AM

it's a Sailor Moon crossover by the way.

Do I want to read this? :)

Already been done a couple of thousand times.

I made an improvement of my speedrun of the game and submitted to SDA, which now accepts freeware runs. Watch it here if you're geek enough. The blurb at the top wasn't written by me, just the comments, which go pretty in-depth. I hope ExplodingCabbage will stick to his words of obsoleting it, it's pretty embarrasing to have to run your own game.

#1849 orange08

orange08

Art Game Movement

• GMC Member
  • 2254 posts

Posted 13 December 2009 - 12:41 AM

it's a Sailor Moon crossover by the way.

Do I want to read this? :D

Already been done a couple of thousand times.

I made an improvement of my speedrun of the game and submitted to SDA, which now accepts freeware runs. Watch it here if you're geek enough. The blurb at the top wasn't written by me, just the comments, which go pretty in-depth. I hope ExplodingCabbage will stick to his words of obsoleting it, it's pretty embarrasing to have to run your own game.

Thousand times???
You must think the worst of your game :D

Ultimortal and Banov are the top GM game makers imo.
But... IMO Banov's games are better. (It's just my opinion)

-orange08

#1850 Kyon

Kyon

Creator of Dirkels

• GMC Member
  • 4241 posts

Posted 13 December 2009 - 10:06 PM

YES a thousand times

But not with Gamemaker ^_^
Maybe one or two games are as good as iji in GM.

#1851 wa1do_13

wa1do_13

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 597 posts

Posted 13 December 2009 - 10:48 PM

Not even close to a thousand times. Think about it- nothing before the SNES/Genesis era can even compete (those may have had some great games for their time, but if you had to shell out $5 for any pre-Genesis game or Iji, you'd almost definitely pick Iji), most games after that era were mediocre or bad, only around 2,500-5,000 games can even compete with Iji, but Iji rocks so hard that it would probably fit in around anyone's top 300 games. I mean, the PS2, biggest system ever made, has less than 2,000 games released for it, you guys are overestimating the numbers a bit...

#1852 Spaceoff

Spaceoff

Orbital Debris

• GMC Member
  • 788 posts

Posted 14 December 2009 - 12:00 AM

Ultimortal must be feeling good about himself right about now.

When's the last relevant post been posted?
---
I beat Ultimortal difficulty a while ago, and a bit more recently beat all the instant-death sectors, got nanomaster(?) rank and failed miserably trying to get that no-damage one.
I've rather exhausted the game by now... don't have the urge to play it any more.

#1853 Ultimortal

Ultimortal

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 365 posts

Posted 15 December 2009 - 09:25 AM

Not even close to a thousand times. Think about it- nothing before the SNES/Genesis era can even compete

I'm sorry, but not only does it depend on your taste in games, it also depends on what you mean by a "good game". There were better written stories, more complex gameplay and more professionally made graphics for the consoles' or computers' limitations even before the NES. You also underestimate how many games have been released over the years, and we haven't even played 0.1% of them. I don't think high quality, exciting gameplay, tight controls or innovation ever sold a game on release - marketing did. I keep finding groundbreaking games from 10 years back I've never heard of, because they were trampled by big titles like Doom and Final Fantasy, and only gained a cult following many years later when people found them (and long after the developer went out of business). In fact, it's been years since I bought a new game since the ones already out there suffice, and don't cost $lots. Of course this is just my taste.

I'm just not comfortable with people praising Iji too much (or in a few other places "defending" the game from fair critiscism in my place). Remember that it's like an amateur webcomic - a subpar derivative of greater works I've been a fan of. I'm glad for the effort I spent on finishing it, and I'm glad some people really like it, but it is what it is.

I'm pretty neutral to the game itself now, but it is a relief it wasn't a flop after spending so much time. I was really nervous right after release, since the initial feedback was mostly negative. It seems it's gotten more positive since it's gotten more players and I fixed the issues people discussed, but looking around the net, the average opinion still seems to be "meh". That's honestly better than I hoped. :)

I said it before, but every creation will have the whole spectrum of opinions about it. Iji becomes a different game to everyone who plays it. To some it's unplayable, and they would say it's at the bottom 1% of games, and to some it's great. Neither is the "true" opinion, and whether you can measure the "good" of a work by how large its fanbase or ratio of positive opinions are is a rather pointless question IMO. I just make games I like to play, and see if anyone else likes the same things I do. :p Of course I still do my best, as I don't want to play a game with shoddy interface or boxes for graphics.

No idea. It seems there are not many new users posting here anymore.

Yuka: I'll read your story when I have the time.

#1854 orange08

orange08

Art Game Movement

• GMC Member
  • 2254 posts

Posted 15 December 2009 - 04:24 PM

---
I beat Ultimortal difficulty a while ago, and a bit more recently beat all the instant-death sectors, got nanomaster(?) rank and failed miserably trying to get that no-damage one.
I've rather exhausted the game by now... don't have the urge to play it any more.

Reply to the red selected:

Same here...

#1855 makerofthegames

makerofthegames

Never you mind!

• GMC Member
  • 7526 posts

Posted 16 December 2009 - 10:19 PM

Err, I'm really glad that's just your opinion.. :medieval:

In my opinion, the best GM developers are Ultimortal, YoMamasMama, and 2DCube.

Not in any particular order. :huh:
Now I know Ultimortal probably won't get anything out of me saying that, he's not a prideful guy. (that's good, by the way) I would imagine if any of my games were as respected as this is I would be thinking "These people are crazy! My game isn't that good, is it?"

Tell me, how close is that to how you feel? :medieval:

EDIT: May I remind you, you won the king of cagematchs. O_o

Edited by makerofthegames, 16 December 2009 - 10:22 PM.

#1856 Carnivac

Carnivac

The Hunter

• GMC Member
  • 2912 posts

Posted 17 December 2009 - 11:16 AM

Ultimortal, Pug Fugly and Darthlupi for me. They're the only ones who have made many consistently great games that I not only enjoy playing greatly but also inspire and motivate me to work on my own to hope to be even half as good. In fact I'd say most of the games on my PC are just those guys' back catalogue. Takes a lot to make me want to sit at this damn computer to play anything.

Iji is one of several GM games I really wish would get ported to console even if in a slightly changed form. I'd play it a lot more on my PS3 or PSP than PC to be honest.

#1857 orange08

orange08

Art Game Movement

• GMC Member
  • 2254 posts

Posted 17 December 2009 - 02:39 PM

Err, I'm really glad that's just your opinion.. :)

Not in any particular order. :)

Did I say Ultimortal and Banov??

How the hell did I leave out orange08??? :)

#1858 Aeralis

Aeralis

GMC Member

• 15 posts

Posted 18 December 2009 - 09:46 AM

Reply to the red selected:

Same here...

See, but with a good game, even if you've played it into the ground, you'll still get the urge to fire it up again further down the road.

Even though I'm not playing Iji right now, I still think of it as one of my favorite games, and I KNOW that one day, I will play it again. And again. And again!

#1859 guitarman4545

guitarman4545

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 526 posts

Posted 18 December 2009 - 11:19 AM

About a year ago I started Iji and got through about the first 7 stages. About 2 weeks ago I finished the last 3 stages, I have to say, great work. Im sure youve gotten about 93 pages of "great work" so far but, I thought Id post anyway.

Just to let you know aswell, Iji is one of the big inspirations for one of my WIPs, which is a futuristic platform shooter. (without use of the mouse)
Thank you for four years of your life, the game was well worth playing, and Im sure Im not done playing it either.

#1860 orange08

orange08

Art Game Movement

• GMC Member
  • 2254 posts

Posted 18 December 2009 - 04:27 PM

Ultimortal... it is now time for you to sacrifice the rest of your days... to me.

BWUAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAH!

From left to right: Ultimortal, Iji, and me.
B) :) :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users