Iji 1.6 (updated 7 March)

• Please log in to reply
2323 replies to this topic

#101 FranzKafka

FranzKafka

GMC Member

• 11 posts

Posted 11 September 2008 - 01:48 PM

However, have they found absolutely everything there is to see?
*Is off to go beat everything on Sudden Death*
Also, Sector Z glitch: You don't need to go through the retro game-esque levels to reach the end. At the end of the first area, fall through the hole and move right continuously.You show up at the end.

Edited by FranzKafka, 11 September 2008 - 01:48 PM.

#102 I.Q. of Spam

I.Q. of Spam

Jenius

• GMC Member
  • 356 posts

Posted 11 September 2008 - 02:03 PM

Hmm, I just figured you had to beat Hero 3D in sector 6 (I think it is 6), since the poster there is of Iji playing an arcade game. Now I have to try and figure out some other way to get it, thank goodness.

Oh, Iji, about those ceiling lamps...

Edited by I.Q. of Spam, 11 September 2008 - 02:05 PM.

Studies show that 96% of people believe every statistic they read.

#103 Ultimortal

Ultimortal

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 365 posts

Posted 11 September 2008 - 03:52 PM

However, have they found absolutely everything there is to see?

Nope, but there's only minor and cosmetic stuff left.

Also, Sector Z glitch: You don't need to go through the retro game-esque levels to reach the end. At the end of the first area, fall through the hole and move right continuously.You show up at the end.

Yep, it's fixed for the next version. I realised the mistake when someone said he finished Sector 1 with a really low time. :P
Daniel's Base - home of Hero Core, Iji, Hyper Princess Pitch, Garden Gnome Carnage etc.

#104 JMchaos

JMchaos

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 132 posts

Posted 11 September 2008 - 10:58 PM

Well right now im stuck in sector 7(im playing my first playthrough on hard mode). So far I gotta say, you did an amazing game here:P 10/10.
I really like the music btw.

#105 Sulfuric

Sulfuric

Nintendo Worshiper

• 1353 posts

Posted 12 September 2008 - 02:38 AM

As for Further, the particular song I'm using is a cover by an indie band that to the best of my knowledge unfortunately no longer exists. The original was written by VNV Nation.

I know that, but what I want to know is, did you get their permission??? I'm gonna go listen to the song again...

Posted Image
Check out my website (above) for finished and upcoming games.
Solar Blue-The Mansion-God's Watch
Note: My name has changed. My old name was STARFOXROX.

#106 naruto8foxkid

naruto8foxkid

Uber Anime Fan

• 403 posts

Posted 12 September 2008 - 02:47 AM

nice art

#107 Ecstats

Ecstats

GMC Member

• 844 posts
  • Version:GM8

Posted 12 September 2008 - 02:40 PM

I've played up until sector 4, and I must say this is a very polished game. It reminds me alot of Flashback for the Sega Genesis/Mega Drive, mainly because of the simple character graphics along with the excellent animations, and the cutscenes. I really like the animations, they are well done and have a nice flow. I also like the missile graphics, with the smoke trail behind it, and also the explosion one.

The story began a little awkward, with a tad too much text for my liking. I think that first part where a bunch of people were gathered around Iji was a bit unnecessary, it would have been enough with just her waking up and talking to that guy on the speakers. But that's kinda minor though.

Music was pretty good, I think the menu music was great. Like others have said the quality is a bit on the lower side, but acceptable. Sound effects are nothing special, but they are nice and gets the job done.

There could have been some more variation in the enemies (as in they have different movement/attack pattern), but I'll refrain from commenting on that until I finish the game tomorrow. And from what I've read here there seems to be some replay value aswell, which is always a big plus.

#108 Ultimortal

Ultimortal

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 365 posts

Posted 12 September 2008 - 06:03 PM

As for Further, the particular song I'm using is a cover by an indie band that to the best of my knowledge unfortunately no longer exists. The original was written by VNV Nation.

I know that, but what I want to know is, did you get their permission??? I'm gonna go listen to the song again...

I got permission from Robert Stjärnström on behalf of Kahl, which wasn't difficult since they're very nice guys. As for VNV themselves, I tried to reach them for years about this song but they never answered my mails. Since I don't see how using this cover, which is edited for lenth too, hurts them in any way and the game is free (plus I don't take donations), I thought it would be okay. Robert even said he'd take the blow for me if there would be repercussions, which is unlikely.

The high-q soundtrack was supposed to be up by now but I need another person to upload it, since it's not hosted on my own server. Sorry for the delay.

Ecstats: I know, the wall of text at the start of the game is likely to turn some people away (the intro + tutorial is like a one-two punch), but I'm glad you accepted it and decided to beat the game anyway.
Daniel's Base - home of Hero Core, Iji, Hyper Princess Pitch, Garden Gnome Carnage etc.

#109 I.Q. of Spam

I.Q. of Spam

Jenius

• GMC Member
  • 356 posts

Posted 12 September 2008 - 08:21 PM

Wall of text? Pfft... How much do you people read?

I agree with STARFOXROX that the song is nice, though I never listened to it loud enough to get more than the first half of the lyrics. That higher quality version would be nice, certainly. As for hosting it, why don't you just upload it to MediaFire? I think their filesize limit is something like 200MB, and I personally have never had trouble with it, it's a great host.

#110 FranzKafka

FranzKafka

GMC Member

• 11 posts

Posted 12 September 2008 - 10:37 PM

Sudden Death: Completed.
That was fun. Would have been cooler if you gave the bosses a tad more HP.

#111 Ultimortal

Ultimortal

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 365 posts

Posted 12 September 2008 - 11:14 PM

Wall of text? Pfft... How much do you people read?

I was just assuming the average gamer wouldn't have the patience for learning Iji. In hindsight I guess I was wrong, since barely any of the critiscism I've heard (yet!) has concerned the tutorial and game-to-player communication.

As for hosting it, why don't you just upload it to MediaFire? I think their filesize limit is something like 200MB, and I personally have never had trouble with it, it's a great host.

The problem is, the game's being downloaded in the thousands every day, and there are no servers who would serve a stranger that kind of bandwidth for free. That's why I obtained permission to use my university's bandwidth for the game and soundtrack. :D Of course, the problem is that I need a teacher to upload them on his spare time, of which he has little now.

Sudden Death: Completed. That was fun. Would have been cooler if you gave the bosses a tad more HP.

It would kind of get frustrating to beat some of them with only 1HP though. :D

#112 FredFredrickson

FredFredrickson

Artist

• Global Moderators
  • 9225 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 12 September 2008 - 11:30 PM

Congrats on the awesome game, Ultimortal.

Not sure if this was mentioned here yet or not, but BigDownload.com featured Iji on this week's Freeware Friday! Check it out here: http://news.bigdownl...are-friday-iji/

#113 rinkuhero

rinkuhero

Paul Eres

• GMC Member
  • 1919 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 12 September 2008 - 11:42 PM

If you need mirrors for the game I'm sure some of the people who enjoyed the game would be happy to help with the bandwidth. Let me know if you want me to help mirror the game (I doubt I could handle all the traffic myself, but it'd probably help a little, especially if you get a half-dozen or so people helping).

#114 Jenner

Jenner

Jenner

• GMC Member
  • 904 posts

Posted 13 September 2008 - 12:06 AM

Great game.. Im dealing with the final boss now.. Damn his hard

#115 Shadow Link

Shadow Link

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1615 posts

Posted 13 September 2008 - 01:00 AM

I just went back and played through as a Pacifist. I must say, it opened up a lot of things that weren't there before! I finally got to meet the two friend Tasens :D. I also noticed a few other grammar errors in some logs books. Gawd, why didn't I learn from last time to ACTUALLY write them down..? Eh, no matter. I'll try to post them here after I play again to get Nanomaster rank. I tried going for Immortal, but those last few sectors really take a chunk out of your Health. I also wasn't able to be a full Pacifist with 5 kills, but I got what I wanted!

EDIT: I also realize it's a little late for this but better late than never! Happy Belated Birthday! I hope you had as much fun as you possibly could!

Edited by Shadow Link, 13 September 2008 - 02:28 AM.

#gmc - It's like that treehouse club you always wanted to join
Hyl2CGB.png

#116 FranzKafka

FranzKafka

GMC Member

• 11 posts

Posted 13 September 2008 - 07:59 AM

This made my day.
Posted Image

#117 SublimatedDreams

SublimatedDreams

GMC Member

• 8 posts

Posted 13 September 2008 - 08:46 AM

very good job!! :D

#118 UnionJack

UnionJack

Psychedelic_Ni

• 163 posts

Posted 13 September 2008 - 10:09 AM

So... Finished in 5 hours and something. Totally blown away, jaw dropped, annoyed that its 3 in the morning because I've got work later today, but glad I'm finished. Next is to give it another shot.

What an epic game!
d=:D=b

As for the colouring, I knew enough not to touch anything dangerous looking... and didn't get zapped.... much. So we're good.
Ludum Dare 23 - Pond: The Strider

#119 SublimatedDreams

SublimatedDreams

GMC Member

• 8 posts

Posted 13 September 2008 - 01:42 PM

Wonderful... addictive... great... :-)

I love this game! :D

#120 Ultimortal

Ultimortal

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 365 posts

Posted 13 September 2008 - 09:23 PM

If you need mirrors for the game I'm sure some of the people who enjoyed the game would be happy to help with the bandwidth. Let me know if you want me to help mirror the game (I doubt I could handle all the traffic myself, but it'd probably help a little, especially if you get a half-dozen or so people helping).

I've gotten it uploaded now, waiting for Chris to approve the soundtrack, so no problem. Plus it's easier to only manage a single host. Thanks for the offer though.

This made my day. (image)

Glad you liked the scrambler. :p It was partly meant as a point against people who think the game takes itself too seriously. Of course, to avoid breaking the story the first time you play the game I had to make it very hard to obtain. Here are some favourites I posted in TIGSource:

DAN: Don't rainbow it. Now, to find the orbital and Krotera, swanky hyvy to get to another building in this complex - Sector 3 is split up between this building and the nixt one. Down Head to boogie could and stare the fyrst pointless you see.

subject of bunch of caviar - terminating

"Pretty" determines how prancing your Nanoweapons are.

one word from me will put an end to your meatballs!

Edited by Ultimortal, 13 September 2008 - 09:24 PM.

#121 FranzKafka

FranzKafka

GMC Member

• 11 posts

Posted 13 September 2008 - 10:45 PM

Yeah, that was awesome.
Going to leave the game on for a few days straight to see how high I can get my Seagull Kill count. currently at 50.
Does anything ever happen after a certain point?
(I'm trying to break the system by getting too high of a kill count ;D )

#122 I.Q. of Spam

I.Q. of Spam

Jenius

• GMC Member
  • 356 posts

Posted 14 September 2008 - 01:20 AM

Yeah, that was awesome.
Going to leave the game on for a few days straight to see how high I can get my Seagull Kill count. currently at 50.

Well, according to the logbooks, it can display 6 digits. Then if you crack it, it displays 22 characters (or 23, if it has ending punctuation, but I don't remember). I guess what I'm trying to say is, I don't think you'll break it.

#123 FranzKafka

FranzKafka

GMC Member

• 11 posts

Posted 14 September 2008 - 02:19 AM

Yeah, that was awesome.

Well, according to the logbooks, it can display 6 digits. Then if you crack it, it displays 22 characters (or 23, if it has ending punctuation, but I don't remember). I guess what I'm trying to say is, I don't think you'll break it.

The characters are a string, not a variable. It depends on whether he capped it, or whether he left it as a signed/unsigned int. Then again, I do believe it would require me getting into the millions of kills.
I could emulate XP, and play it - with a giant frameskip, and giant speedup - and see how long it took.

#124 Ultimortal

Ultimortal

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 365 posts

Posted 14 September 2008 - 11:19 AM

What an odd thing to experiment with. :p Then again, I've done similar things in other games. There is no cap though, since I figured it would take forever getting birds in the millions. Then the question is if GM uses int, float or something even bigger as the default type, but either way I think you could go at it for years, you birdicidal crazyman. :)

#125 I.Q. of Spam

I.Q. of Spam

Jenius

• GMC Member
  • 356 posts

Posted 14 September 2008 - 01:21 PM

I wasn't talking from a programming aspect. I meant if it was a physical machine, then it would be able to display 22-23 characters, or in other words, you'd have to shoot 10,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 birds to make it roll back. That is what I meant.

If you manage to shoot enough birds though, you would get an error message and crash the game because of the limited range of numbers supported by GM. I'm guessing this was made in 5.1A?

Well, if it wasn't obvious before, then I'll say it now: I am obsessed with this game. This is the first GM game I have [i]ever[i] played more than once, with the exception of Ark22 by Srehpog (Ultimortal knows him from Eo, I'm sure), which I played twice. I've played this through at least 4 times already.

#126 The Guy 123

The Guy 123

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 78 posts
  • Version:GM8

Posted 14 September 2008 - 08:34 PM

There should be alot more games just like this even if it does take 4 years to make.

Graphics - 10/10
Gameplay - 10/10
music - 10/10
sounds - 10/10
Level design - 10/10
Overall - 10/10

The Best game maker game i have ever played.
I have almost completed the whole game and i have enjoyed it i've played through the game many many times and i still love it.
I would say that every game maker game should take at least 3 years above to be extremely good.
keep up the work.

#127 I.Q. of Spam

I.Q. of Spam

Jenius

• GMC Member
  • 356 posts

Posted 14 September 2008 - 11:41 PM

Woohoo! I got the Scrambler, the Banana Gun, and all ten posters (eleven with the one that's too epic to be unlocked in Sector Z), and I got to read the final logbook. Nice to know I make you so happy. :)

Edited by I.Q. of Spam, 14 September 2008 - 11:41 PM.

#128 Sulfuric

Sulfuric

Nintendo Worshiper

• 1353 posts

Posted 15 September 2008 - 02:54 AM

Well, I figured out how to save Dan... To bad it was after I finished the level. I guess I'll do it on my third playthrough.

I'm guessing you can pilot an anihilator if you crack it?

Posted Image
Check out my website (above) for finished and upcoming games.
Solar Blue-The Mansion-God's Watch
Note: My name has changed. My old name was STARFOXROX.

#129 I.Q. of Spam

I.Q. of Spam

Jenius

• GMC Member
  • 356 posts

Posted 15 September 2008 - 02:58 AM

No... better pay closer attention to Dan during your third play-through if you want to pilot one. :)

#130 Alkaroth

Alkaroth

GMC Member

• 13 posts

Posted 15 September 2008 - 05:29 AM

Fantastic work Ultimortal! This stands out amongst platform games on the same level that Ark22 stood out amongst RPG games upon its release. Great art style both ingame and in clips, well-balanced gameplay, and well done on all the extras which I haven't yet managed to unlock.

#131 Drewdelz

Drewdelz

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1056 posts

Posted 16 September 2008 - 08:08 PM

Fantastic work Ultimortal! This stands out amongst platform games on the same level that Ark22 stood out amongst RPG games upon its release. Great art style both ingame and in clips, well-balanced gameplay, and well done on all the extras which I haven't yet managed to unlock.

Very true. I've LOVE to see a GM platformer game outdo Iji, no offense to Ultimortal or anything. It's just that if a GM game of the same genre can outdo Iji, it would have to be pretty damn amazing. :)

Edited by Drewdelz, 17 September 2008 - 07:50 PM.

#132 jakman4242

jakman4242

Vertical Shmup Junkie

• 3222 posts

Posted 16 September 2008 - 08:14 PM

Very true. I've LOVE to see a GM platformer game outdo Iji, no offensive to Ultimortal or anything. It's just that if a GM game of the same genre can outdo Iji, it would have to be pretty damn amazing. :)

The answer might, just might, be between me and you Drewdelz.(Think literal, not liberal :))
-- My blog. --

#133 Red Kinikacha

Red Kinikacha

GMC Member

• 3 posts

Posted 16 September 2008 - 10:03 PM

Gah, Such a great game. but how do you not Kill Korterra? I'm trying to do full pacifist, and this is getting annoying >_>

#134 Ultimortal

Ultimortal

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 365 posts

Posted 16 September 2008 - 11:11 PM

Gah, Such a great game. but how do you not Kill Korterra? I'm trying to do full pacifist, and this is getting annoying >_>

I had hoped it would be obvious, given Krotera's mindset, that he will fight you no matter what. The same goes for the other bosses; they're the aggressors. Since the minimum number of kills is 2, not 0, maybe I should change the ranking screen to reflect this.

#135 StupidStudios

StupidStudios

Evil Spambot

• GMC Member
  • 270 posts
  • Version:Unknown

Posted 17 September 2008 - 03:50 PM

Fantastic game, played it out on normal, now trying hard. Can you save dan? And can you crack anihilators? And can you get past skill level 10? Or can you only get past level 10 on Ultimortal (or something like that)? Great game anyway, but I want to finish it again and then SAVE DAN!!! Very frustrating, I can't find a way to save him...

#136 Ultimortal

Ultimortal

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 365 posts

Posted 17 September 2008 - 04:14 PM

Can you save dan?

He gives you a clue if you don't, you may also need to explore the Sector a bit.

And can you crack anihilators?

Yes, but it requires a Crack level of 10. It knocks half their HP away and removes their Shocksplinter and Plasma cannon, though.

And can you get past skill level 10?

Nope, the level 15+ doors are just there to serve as logical dead ends (such as the passage between Sectors), but you can also use Shredders (the hoverbikes) to knock down Shield doors of any strength.

Edited by Ultimortal, 17 September 2008 - 04:15 PM.

#137 I.Q. of Spam

I.Q. of Spam

Jenius

• GMC Member
  • 356 posts

Posted 19 September 2008 - 06:45 PM

That banana gun is pretty hilarious. I love what it says about deadly banana splits when you get it, haha!

I knew there was something wrong with that guy you get the Scrambler from when I saw him start running, but man, who would've thought a Tasen Soldier could take that much of a beating? The Komato Imperial Army should've been after him for his nanotechnology. Although... I guess they're after the bigger fish, since even the mighty Yukabera (or whatever his name was) cannot stand up to me! Mwahaha! That Velocithor is pretty sweet, too bad I only had 10 ammo for it.

Anyway, how do you use that Retribution skill? When is it that you have to press C after being damaged to use it?

#138 Ultimortal

Ultimortal

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 365 posts

Posted 20 September 2008 - 01:14 AM

Yukabacera is somewhat famous in the Iji world, having written Hero 3D, the bird counting machine and this which was the secret teaser page for half a year before the game was released. Vateilika also mentions him having been her boyfriend in the past, but Yuka was too annoying, the poor guy. And now you went and offed him for his Scrambler too. ^_^

Anyway, how do you use that Retribution skill? When is it that you have to press C after being damaged to use it?

The exact triggering point is at the end of the standup animation after being knocked to the ground by a heavy attack. Just keep holding C while rising. Iji must still be blinking and have 5 or less HP left, along with the other requirements. You can only do it once per Sector or boss room though.

Edited by Ultimortal, 20 September 2008 - 01:16 AM.

#139 Shadow Link

Shadow Link

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1615 posts

Posted 20 September 2008 - 05:30 AM

Yeah, I read Yuka's "blog" thing a while ago. Neat way to add more to the storyline. Kind of like a prequel in the form of a blog. It's a shame I'll have to kill him though ^_^

You really packed this thing with unlockables though! Not many games have this much of a replay value (especially a fun one). Such a great game, even the music made it's way onto my Sansa MP3 player.

#gmc - It's like that treehouse club you always wanted to join
Hyl2CGB.png

#140 I.Q. of Spam

I.Q. of Spam

Jenius

• GMC Member
  • 356 posts

Posted 20 September 2008 - 01:51 PM

Cool, I'll have to see what that skill can do to some of the bosses.

Edited by I.Q. of Spam, 20 September 2008 - 01:55 PM.

#141 PurpleFuzzy

PurpleFuzzy

Punk Rock Princess

• GMC Member
  • 1589 posts
  • Version:None

Posted 20 September 2008 - 06:25 PM

Congratulations on your cagematch nomination. Well-earned.

-PF

#142 I.Q. of Spam

I.Q. of Spam

Jenius

• GMC Member
  • 356 posts

Posted 20 September 2008 - 11:29 PM

By the way, if you do decide to release a version with higher quality music, may I suggest using the OGG Vorbis codec along with the SuperSound DLL?

I recompressed Further just to see what the size difference would be, and it ended up as follows:

Given MP3: 2.57MB
Recompressed OGG: 1.71MB

It sounds just as good as the MP3 to me (but then again I'm not an audiophile).

It may ease your bandwidth pains as well.

EDIT: Oh, and it would likely cure that bug wherein the music inexplicably stops playing, instead of looping as it should. Not only that, but since you're already loading them externally anyway, switching to the SuperSound DLL would be easy.

Edited by I.Q. of Spam, 20 September 2008 - 11:33 PM.

#143 monaug5

monaug5

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 241 posts

Posted 20 September 2008 - 11:29 PM

Good Luck with this game.

#144 Box Shark

Box Shark

GMC Member

• 13 posts

Posted 21 September 2008 - 03:02 AM

That was really awesome. It took me a few days of off and on play before I beat it and I still feel like playing it again. What really surprised me the most was how involving the game was. I actually felt pretty pumped when I took out one of the larger enemies and watched him explode into little nano particles. Everything felt very polished and well thought out. This is definitely a game that's going to stay on my desktop for a long time.

Now I just have to beat it on all the modes and try to unlock all that stuff. This is going to take a while lol :blink:

#145 Micco

Micco

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 290 posts

Posted 21 September 2008 - 06:04 AM

Congrats, you have just made the one of best GM games ever. This game is totally awesome.
Posted Image

#146 whgoss

whgoss

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 390 posts

Posted 21 September 2008 - 06:50 AM

One of the rare GM games that actually has a replay value. Spectacular.

#147 Rybo5000

Rybo5000

GMC Member

• 423 posts

Posted 23 September 2008 - 04:59 PM

What?

Why does everyone love this?

The cutscenes and effects are great.

But at its core its just a normal shooter, the gameplay gets tedious.

#148 the Raven

the Raven

GMC Member

• Validating
  • 249 posts

Posted 23 September 2008 - 09:09 PM

Iji Review - Critic
Iji is absolutely amazing! You had an awesome story line
and an absolutely truly amazing game play as well.
I don't think I've ever seen a Game Maker game this well
put together before. This is truly the best one out there!

10/10 - Incredible.
:mellow:
Looking for resources for a game your making? Sprites, Backgrounds, GML Coding, Sounds, Music, Tutorials, and Guides!
Drop by the Game Maker Station today!
P.S. hey raven dont bother trying to sign back in cause your locked out for good

#149 cyberdudequestor

cyberdudequestor

GMC Member

• 378 posts

Posted 23 September 2008 - 09:43 PM

You, sir, are amazing for finally finishing this.

I have been wanting an anime-ish action game for a while now.

#150 Pocketninja

Pocketninja

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 61 posts
  • Version:Unknown

Posted 24 September 2008 - 01:14 AM

Great replay value I loved this game! AWESOME!