#1 uuf6429

uuf6429

Covac Software

• 2522 posts
  • Version:Unknown

Posted 27 August 2008 - 10:08 PM

GM File Version Extractor Dll

INTRODUCTION
With some very easy to use functions, this dll is able to get you all version information from (certain) files. It also features checking for version information.
Possible use is for (auto)updating your game.
Currently it is v1 FINAL!! Meaning it should work perfectly without bugs or modifications (hopefully).

SCREENSHOT
Posted Image

DOWNLOAD
Download Site (more info+code shot)
Direct Download

SCRIPTS
cvc_vinf_init() - Initializes the dll
cvc_vinf_set(String)=Boolean - Set the target filename (argument0) for getting version information (returns success)
cvc_vinf_has()=Boolean - Returns if the target filename contains version information
cvc_vinf_get(Integer)=String - Returns a string of version information given a VI constant (argument0)
cvc_vinf_fini() - Frees the dll from memory
cvc_vinf_c2t(Integer,Integer) - Coverts a constant (argument0) to understandable text. You must also set the constant's constant group (argument1) such as global.VI_CONST0
code snapshot

WARNING
The information found is purely version information residing inside the file, this gives the ability to accurately determine the file version BUT for the security enthusiasts; version information IS NOT RELIABLE! This dll reads the information as is in reality BUT the file may have been tampered with. Version information CAN BE EASILY CHANGED using programs like ResHack or XNResEditor.

Enjoy!
Covac Software Team

Edited by uuf6429, 31 August 2008 - 08:55 AM.

#2 Sindarin

Sindarin

Indie Game Developer

• 1644 posts
  • Version:GM:HTML5

Posted 29 August 2008 - 03:21 PM

Well GM7 supports version information, so it could be used as a means to check if the game info has been changed by those tools.
Nice work.
GM 8.1 / GM:HTML5 User

#3 uuf6429

uuf6429

Covac Software

• 2522 posts

Posted 29 August 2008 - 03:50 PM

It could be used for a lot of different things, such as finding detailed OS version, flash version...

#4 cpsgames

cpsgames

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 79 posts

Posted 31 March 2009 - 03:00 AM

Yeah, this DLL can be very useful.

Nice work indeed.

#5 uuf6429

uuf6429

Covac Software

• 2522 posts

Posted 31 March 2009 - 04:41 PM

I'd forgotten I did this, ha. Yea, must admit it's been well made. Still got the source, so it's supported (ask anything you want).

Kind regards,
Chris.

#6 ChrisCompany

ChrisCompany

GMC Member

• 17 posts

Posted 03 May 2009 - 07:10 PM

I'd forgotten I did this, ha. Yea, must admit it's been well made. Still got the source, so it's supported (ask anything you want).

Kind regards,
Chris.

Can you make it that you can also set file info with it? Or do you know a program that is able to do that?

Thanks, ChrisCompany.

#7 uuf6429

uuf6429

Covac Software

• 2522 posts

Posted 04 May 2009 - 04:07 PM

Use a program like ResourceExplorer or ResHack or XN Resource Editor. However, it's quite dangerous most of the time. You see, changing version information means you either: make the information as big as the older one OR relocate the executable (change positions and stuff to accomodate new data size).

I did this sort of thing with WinAPI's UpdateResource functions, however I couldn't see its use for a game, so i turned it down.

#8 Yambam

Yambam

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 647 posts
  • Version:GM8

Posted 14 June 2009 - 02:48 PM

Great!, i found a use, in file explorers you can click on properties to see the file information

#9 uuf6429

uuf6429

Covac Software

• 2522 posts

Posted 14 June 2009 - 09:36 PM

Uhm...yes. lol.

Suggestion: could be used for game auto-updating, where it compares the current exe's version with that online.

#10 Yambam

Yambam

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 647 posts
  • Version:GM8

Posted 02 September 2009 - 04:36 PM

I found another use, you can use it for a Update Manager, check if the version on the internet is the same as the curent version and if its an other version download it and heres a list with the requird dlls:

• File Information Dll
  • Download Dll
  • Website Source Download Dll

:)

Edited by Yambam, 02 September 2009 - 04:42 PM.

#11 Glen

Glen

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 841 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 18 October 2010 - 07:59 PM

Does anyone have a copy of this or know of an alternative? I need to check file versions for my game's client updater. All the links in the first post are broken. It's been awhile since this topic was last updated and I'd really appreciate it if anyone had the DLL or knows a way to get the file version info.
Avic Pro (Work in Progress):
Portable media manager. Just pop in your usb drive and use Avic Pro to organize and present all of your media content in categories. On top of that, it makes handling portable games, software, and other utilities a breeze. It allows you to launch just about any of your media content quickly and efficiently from your system tray. No more long paths to finding content.
Savage Defence| Text FX | Ragdoll Axe Engine | Professionalism | Online Games | Game Progression | 3D Game Development | Online Anti-Hack Strategies