Programmed in :ph34r:
Vista compatible
Window size: 436x560
File size: 2.67 MB
Resizeable window? No.
Fullscreen: No.
Newest version: v3.0, March 12, 2010

What is GML Buddy?
GML Buddy is a useful tool for all ranges of users to use, for either learning or for reference. You simply pile on your D&D functions and click Translate to turn all of those actions into working GML!

How do you use GMLB?
This utility is very simple to use. Because it is modeled after Game Maker itself, you will notice that GML Buddy will be familiar to use. On the right hand side, you will find the default libraries (and even my special, made from scratch 3D library!) where you can browse through and click through default D&D functions and bonus D&D functions I included! Once you find an action you want to add, right or left click the icon to add it into the Actions box to the left. You may be prompted by one, a few, or several messages about filling out the D&D action you selected. Once you finish, you will see the code on the left side. You can right click the code on the right and choose to Edit Values (redo the process of filling out the action), Copy to Clipboard (copy the code itself to your clipboard to paste elsewhere), Select, Delete, or Clear All. Alternatively, you can Select a D&D action by left clicking it in the Actions box or Right Click --> Select. Then you can press Enter to Edit Values, Ctrl+C to Copy to Clipboard or Del/Delete to Delete the GML action. The Clear All button at the bottom left corner will erase all of the D&D functions in the Actions box as will Right Click --> Clear All.After you have all of your desired D&D functions and their value into the Actions box, press the Translate button! You will be shown all of the code, and if it exceeds the height, you can use the scroll bar to go up and down. Here, you can FULLY edit all of the code like in Notepad. Then, press Copy to Clipboard to copy the text from the screen you see into your clipboard. You can also click and drag the mouse to select a portion of the code and press Ctrl+C or Right Click --> Copy to copy that highlighted text into your clipboard. You can also Cut, Delete, Select All and Clear All (delete all of the code) by Right Clicking and going to the respective choice.

What is in Game Maker Buddy?
- Includes all Game Maker 8 Pro D&D actions!
- Allows up to 20 D&D functions to be added into the Actions box and translated at once!
- Accurately translates from D&D to GML!
- Contains step-by-step, useful prompts to guide you!
- Includes useful, personally added D&D commands, including: Point at Object, Gravity Contact, Distance to Object, 3D commands and more!
- Has a built-in code editor to alter, delete, or add parts to your finished translate D&D commands and allow you to copy all or a bit of the code into your clipboard!

Posted ImagePosted Image
Screenshot 4
Screenshot 5

Download GMLB 6/30/10
Newest version (v3.0.1): Bug fixes!
YoYoGames
Box.net
4shared.com

Old version (v2.41) "Classic" GML Buddy (small, one D&D-at-a-time translation!) 5/6/09

Host-A.Net
Box.net
4shared.com

Download GMLB Manual
Host-A.Net
Will Host For Food! DOWN

Known bugs:
Please report any more you see
ALL KNOWN BUGS CURRENTLY FIXED

Future versions/updates
PREVIOUS UPDATES INCLUDED IN V3.0
- More D&D commands that are aimed at beginners and useful to know and use. <In progress
- More to add with user feedback and suggestion.

Edited by iluvfuz, 01 July 2010 - 12:55 AM.

#2 ninjutsu63

ninjutsu63

GMC Member

• 1128 posts

Posted 27 August 2008 - 01:20 AM

Fairly useful for beginners I suppose. Very nice. Why do you need a password for host-a.net?

#3 DavidX

DavidX

Scorching Back

• GMC Member
  • 369 posts
  • Version:GM8

Posted 27 August 2008 - 01:56 AM

Wow, I can't begin to imagine how easier learning GML would have been if I had this. This is pretty good, and it does what it says, so I'm giving it a 10/10.

#4 MadProductions119

MadProductions119

GMC Member

• 1212 posts

Posted 27 August 2008 - 01:57 AM

Nice would help out begginers alot!

#5 SquareWheel

SquareWheel

Square Wheel Games

• 851 posts

Posted 27 August 2008 - 02:00 AM

A nice idea, users may prefer having the program rather than checking with the PFD chart. Good job.

#6 King Tetiro

King Tetiro

King of Orenna

• GMC Member
  • 2501 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 27 August 2008 - 07:58 AM

If I had ths 2 years ago, I would have deleted my PDF file. And I still would. 10/10

#7 PurpleFuzzy

PurpleFuzzy

Punk Rock Princess

• 1587 posts
  • Version:GM7

Posted 27 August 2008 - 04:30 PM

Aren't there a couple of these floating around? The idea isn't really all that new, and I don't really have any use for it. Nice anyway, though.

-PF

#8 iluvfuz

iluvfuz

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1452 posts

Posted 27 August 2008 - 05:05 PM

@ninjutsu63: Thanks, I'll look into the Host-A.Net mirror, I probably accidentally set up a password.
@DavidX: ^_^
@MadProductions119: Yes, the goal of this program was to help beginners and was built off me helping a friend.
@SquareWheel & King Tetiro: PFD chart? Haven't used it before, is it a .pfd file holding all built in commands?
@PurpleFuzzy: Is there another one? I programmed this to assist a friend who was starting to use GML to code :(.
Thanks to all who gave feedback, it's much appreciated!

Please give advice and suggestions to expand this project. The next main update will most likely be the 3D (d3d) commands.

EDIT: I'm glad you noticed the password on the Host-A.Net download, ninjutsu63. It's been taken away.

Edited by iluvfuz, 27 August 2008 - 05:07 PM.

#9 PurpleFuzzy

PurpleFuzzy

Punk Rock Princess

• 1587 posts

Posted 27 August 2008 - 05:12 PM

Yeah, there was one made by Xception back in 2006 (maybe even 05) for GM6 and one that was posted fairly recently. I don't remember who posted the recent one though.

I like yours though. May I suggest eliminating the show_message boxes from the GUI and maybe even the ability to translate blocks of D&D? That might be relatively difficult though, I'm not sure.

Either way, it's nice. ^_^

-PF

#10 iluvfuz

iluvfuz

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1452 posts

Posted 27 August 2008 - 05:24 PM

Very nice ideas, possibly eliminating the 'show_message' boxes would need a prompt in the menu (considering I use 'show_menu' or 'show_color').
Also, I can possibly make another room acting like Game Maker's action box, where you name the variables, values, and arguments. Then generating the successive lines of GML.

Thanks very much PurpleFuzzy.

EDIT: v1.3 with some small bug changes and the message "This D and D command is not customizable" is combined with the actual code.
EDIT2: v2, with 3D GML support is expected by September 12.

Edited by iluvfuz, 27 August 2008 - 09:44 PM.

#11 fire_soul453

fire_soul453

aarons video games

• GMC Member
  • 542 posts

Posted 27 August 2008 - 11:08 PM

There have been a few of these before, but they are probably all out of date by now. So good job. This probably can be useful to some people.

I like the name too. It made me wonder and I clicked on this topic.

Edited by fire_soul453, 27 August 2008 - 11:09 PM.

#12 iluvfuz

iluvfuz

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1452 posts

Posted 29 August 2008 - 12:24 AM

Version 1.4 is another minor update with a couple bug fixes (including one in the Gradient Ellipse D&D to GML), and the text on the button no longer turns white when a mouse hovers over it.

#13 PurpleFuzzy

PurpleFuzzy

Punk Rock Princess

• 1587 posts

Posted 29 August 2008 - 01:10 PM

Something that would be nice to add to this is if when you hover over an icon, it tells you what the icon does, the same as GM. Also, you're going to be making a 3D action set? That's pretty cool.

I hope this turns out well for you.

EDIT: Also, I found an error in your draw set color code, it's currently draw_set_color(color) when it should be draw_set_color(c_black). I'll let you know if I find any other errors. Also, I think it'd be nice if you added on a one-key exit instead of having to navigate back to the menu, since most people will probably be using this in the midst of programming.

-PF

Edited by PurpleFuzzy, 29 August 2008 - 01:17 PM.

#14 Fyeregg

Fyeregg

Fyeregg Productions

• 763 posts

Posted 29 August 2008 - 09:50 PM

Wow, I love it, very good for beginners. Make the 3D part, and that would be great even for me. lol
4/5

EDIT: Just somthing I thought I would let you know about, with the draw lives button, the code it gives me is this...
draw_text(x,y,Lives: + lives);

If you are more advanced, you would realise that it should be...
draw_text(x,y,'Lives:' + lives);

But if you are a beginner, you would never find out that you need to add the ' ' and would be doomed to a error...

Regards,
FyerEgg

Edited by Fyeregg, 29 August 2008 - 09:59 PM.

#15 iluvfuz

iluvfuz

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1452 posts

Posted 30 August 2008 - 02:09 AM

@ PurpleFuzzy: Thanks for reporting that problem, I'll soon reupload a new v1.4. Also, your suggestion was already thought; come v2 (with 3D compatibility), users will need to be able to recognize what the icons mean, and would be very helpful to tell what existing D&D commands are.
@ Fyeregg: Haha, thanks. Also, I appreciate you found out that I forgot to add quotations or apostrophes around the caption string, but I doubt only advanced users would know that :D. Likewise, both problems are being fixed for much better, and accurate use.

Remember your feedback makes this program larger and more useful to the community :whistle:

EDIT: v1.41 has the above 2 problems fixed. Minor updates for the win!

Edited by iluvfuz, 30 August 2008 - 02:18 AM.

#16 iluvfuz

iluvfuz

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1452 posts

Posted 04 September 2008 - 12:12 AM

v2b will be released soon for users to test and suggest 3D features in the program, since I can't recall very many functions. If needed, I will create a 3D2 tab, with more "D&D" commands.

#17 pr_evolution2

pr_evolution2

GMC Member

• 24 posts

Posted 05 September 2008 - 10:34 PM

Just wanted to ask you something. Why not focus less on 3D and more on "ability to select many D&D commands"? Sure, 3D's nice and all, but if this program is meant for beginners, shouldn't you focus on beginner stuff? You want to know why there is currently no D&D for 3d in GM? My guess is that since it's considered more advanced, they require you to code it, that way, beginners don't get stuck in that stuff. And have you ever seen topics like "I need help with my 3D mmorpg or fps"? The replies to these topics are generally negative, because the most of the time, the person's getting in WAY over their head by trying to use 3D, and is obviously a beginner.

P.S.
Keep in mind that this is my opinion. I'm not telling you how to make your program, I'm just giving you a suggestion.;)
Basically, I think you should focus more on the ability to select many D&D commands and get code for ALL of them together.

#18 iluvfuz

iluvfuz

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1452 posts

Posted 07 September 2008 - 05:07 AM

Thank you for your opinions. Yes, you are right; it would be more useful to beginners to have multiple commands translated simultaneously. As the main group who uses this program would most likely be new to GML, GML Buddy's target audience is not only for beginners.

I will work on that function as soon as possible though, thanks!

#19 iluvfuz

iluvfuz

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1452 posts

Posted 08 September 2008 - 11:56 PM

Currently, it is suspected that Game Maker Community has a trojan virus, so just to be safe, I won't be updating GMLB until it is resolved. Thanks.

#20 iluvfuz

iluvfuz

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1452 posts

Posted 19 September 2008 - 02:17 AM

Version 2 beta is released!
Updates:
-A few clicking bugs
-Slightly modified graphics
-New title
-3D release

3D is NOT yet finished, and I need user feedback to build on 3D.
What can you do?
To help the progress of 3D and tooltips, you can provide codes (mainly for the tooltip) and suggest ideas and 3D commands that are useful to you as a GM user. Thanks, and I value and appreciate any feedback I recieve.

#21 flankattack

flankattack

BETA Tester

• 407 posts

Posted 07 November 2008 - 08:48 PM

What is the password?

#22 iluvfuz

iluvfuz

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1452 posts

Posted 20 November 2008 - 02:59 AM

Ah, sorry, the password was set. It's open now :P

#23 iluvfuz

iluvfuz

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1452 posts

Posted 02 January 2009 - 03:41 AM

Version 2.1 is released!
Updates:
-Tooltips
-Change in a few translation coding
-Fix to various errors.

EDIT:And my awesome avatar, lol.

Edited by iluvfuz, 02 January 2009 - 03:42 AM.

#24 Gokan Takagashi

Gokan Takagashi

GMC Member

• 292 posts

Posted 03 January 2009 - 02:19 AM

Wow, this program is very handy! Would have loved to have this around when I was a noob!

I can possibly make another room acting like Game Maker's action box, where you name the variables, values, and arguments. Then generating the successive lines of GML.

This sounds like a good idea!

Edited by Gokan Takagashi, 03 January 2009 - 02:22 AM.

#25 iluvfuz

iluvfuz

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1452 posts

Posted 04 January 2009 - 01:21 AM

Thanks, Gokan!

Mass D&D-GML translation will be delayed until I find an effective way to code it (either the user choosing all of the D&D commands then translating it [harder] or the user choosing a D&D command and lists it down with the GML right by it [easier])

Next update will include more basic commands than 3D, that are useful to beginners, but still made up (actual DnD commands don't exist normally)

#26 SilentxxBunny

SilentxxBunny

The Wanderer

• GMC Member
  • 1262 posts

Posted 04 January 2009 - 01:29 AM

Awesome! You should add an online section!

:medieval:

#27 iluvfuz

iluvfuz

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1452 posts

Posted 04 January 2009 - 01:30 AM

Ah, mplay or various, useful online code bits?

For sure I am adding:

-make_color_rgb & make_color_hsv
-image_alpha
-distance_to_object
-point_direction

Edited by iluvfuz, 04 January 2009 - 08:26 PM.

#28 iluvfuz

iluvfuz

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1452 posts

Posted 04 January 2009 - 08:26 PM

Not sure if this is an illegal post (as this is an update):
Version 2.3 is released!

Updates:

Added:

-Make Color (make_color_rgb & make_color_hsv)
-Set Alpha (image_alpha)
-Test Distance to Object (if distance_to_object)
-Point at Object(point_direction)
-If codes are larger than one line, they will be displayed through 'show_message' and you will have the option to copy the code or cancel.

Fixes:

-Score Caption (part of the last 'Added' point
-Jump to Position (part of the last 'Added' point)
-Jump to Start
-Speed Horizontal and Vertical
-Create Moving
-Change, Transform and Color Sprite
-Replace Sprite, Sound and Background
-Added default options to all translations
-Removed many 'show_message' prompts and replaced for faster translating (less clicking)
-Step Towards
-Many more

Also, use of [Esc] can one-key exit the game.

Edited by iluvfuz, 12 January 2009 - 01:48 AM.

#29 iluvfuz

iluvfuz

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1452 posts

Posted 08 January 2009 - 01:58 AM

Added YoYo Games Instant Play link.

EDIT: Just fixed a problem with Step Towards and reuploaded 2.3, so the YoYo Games link will not work temporarily.

Edited by iluvfuz, 08 January 2009 - 02:11 AM.

#30 SilentxxBunny

SilentxxBunny

The Wanderer

• GMC Member
  • 1262 posts

Posted 08 January 2009 - 02:07 AM

Ah, mplay or various, useful online code bits?

I don't know, I know nothing about online coding.

:D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users