• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 if_software_

if_software_

GMC Member

• 68 posts

Posted 26 August 2008 - 09:42 AM

Posted Image

DOOM: FoM is an RPG set in the classic world of Doom. You will fight many demons through the UAC facilities on Mars to the depths of Hell.

ifsoftware.net

INFORMATION:
Genre: Action/RPG
File Size: 3.29 MB (.exe)
GM Version:GM7
Resolution: 800x600

DOWNLOAD:
[1]
[2]

SCREENSHOTS:
NEW
Posted Image
[1]
[2]
OLD
[1]
[2]
[3]
[4]

CONTROLS:
Left Click - Move/Pickup/Activate
Right Click - Attack/Use
I - Inventory
C - Character

RECENT UPDATES:
August 30th
-HUD Quick slots
-Interactive HUD
-Enemy info diplays
-Bosses
-Weapons
-Items
-Minor Bug fixes

August 27th
- Increased FPS
- New movement system
- Fixed screen shaking
- Added in game menu
- Other minor bugs

SHOW YOUR SUPPORT
Banner-> Posted Image
[url="http://gmc.yoyogames.com/index.php?showtopic=394522"][img]http://img517.imageshack.us/img517/1300/forumbannerur0.png[/img][/url]
send feed back to - feedback@ifsoftware.net

Edited by if_software_, 31 August 2008 - 04:33 AM.

#2 negen99

negen99

GMC Member

• 567 posts

Posted 26 August 2008 - 10:59 AM

The menu is shaky when moving, did you use objects or draw to create the menu? If objects then I suggest using draw to do this.

#3 3lliot

3lliot

GMC Member

• 293 posts

Posted 26 August 2008 - 01:05 PM

The games awsome. I loved how you turned FAKE 3d into isometric! NICE 8/10 2 drop off because of what he said^^^

#4 if_software_

if_software_

GMC Member

• 68 posts

Posted 26 August 2008 - 07:45 PM

The menu is shaky when moving, did you use objects or draw to create the menu? If objects then I suggest using draw to do this.

The games awsome. I loved how you turned FAKE 3d into isometric! NICE 8/10 2 drop off because of what he said^^^

Everything is in one draw event, the reason for the shaking is the uneven resolution change on some computers, which has already been fixed for the next release, thanks for playing.

#5 BattleRifle BR55

BattleRifle BR55

Let Live

• GMC Member
  • 10316 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 26 August 2008 - 08:09 PM

Looks like the hell of Doom and Diablo are one and the same :ph34r:

*Waits for Potnop*
Jmds8UL.png

#6 Jakyl11

Jakyl11

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 3196 posts

Posted 26 August 2008 - 08:26 PM

Thats a pretty wierd combination of genre, but I like it.

Things I would do to improve:
-transparent walls when you walk behind them
-something to tell you when you get a level(didnt notice anything if there was something) maybe a sound.

other than those two things id say 8/10

this isnt really a drawback but Id say make a difficulty setting coz i found the enemies easy to kill.

#7 ninjutsu63

ninjutsu63

GMC Member

• 1128 posts

Posted 27 August 2008 - 12:39 AM

Wow, that's awesome! Somtimes it was hard to distinguish darkness from walls though, and the movement was a little odd at points.
The Entropy Movement

Agent-Third Person Shooter -"Wow! That was the best 3d TPS I've ever played on GM!"

#8 if_software_

if_software_

GMC Member

• 68 posts

Posted 27 August 2008 - 06:29 AM

Thanks for the replys. I've taken all of them into account and others from else where to bring you this new update including -

- Increased FPS
- New movement system
- Fixed screen shaking
- Added in game menu
- Other minor bugs

#9 David Dark

David Dark

GMC Member

• 154 posts

Posted 27 August 2008 - 12:11 PM

It's like you made a diablo2 engine there ^_^

The game is great, I would speed up the pace a little + the things that were already mentioned. Good luck with it, I'm waiting for the new version :(

#10 BattleRifle BR55

BattleRifle BR55

Let Live

• GMC Member
  • 10316 posts

Posted 27 August 2008 - 05:33 PM

You need the items to be picked up automatically when you click on them and the guy approaches them. It becomes tedious when I click on a potion, but when he goes to its position he won't pick it up until I click on it again.

Edited by BattleRifle BR55, 27 August 2008 - 05:33 PM.

Jmds8UL.png

#11 ninjutsu63

ninjutsu63

GMC Member

• 1128 posts

Posted 27 August 2008 - 05:43 PM

I ran out of bullets, but I could keep shooting, it just went into negative ammo.
The Entropy Movement

Agent-Third Person Shooter -"Wow! That was the best 3d TPS I've ever played on GM!"

#12 thaddeus_maximus

thaddeus_maximus

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 39 posts

Posted 27 August 2008 - 07:07 PM

Hey this is fun.

Keep up the good work.

No offense, but I'd say stick with DOOM sounds only. having DIABLO ones in there is strange because the volumes and sound quality seem different.

I'm glad to hear that you fixed the resolution inconsistencies.
The windows cursor and game cursor do not possess the same coordinates. Is this intentional?

#13 BattleRifle BR55

BattleRifle BR55

Let Live

• GMC Member
  • 10316 posts

Posted 27 August 2008 - 08:09 PM

The windows cursor and game cursor do not possess the same coordinates. Is this intentional?

Yeah I noticed that as well.

Are you going to make the little icons at the bottom clickable? (in addition to the hotkeys) That's how I found out about the mouse thing.
Jmds8UL.png

#14 if_software_

if_software_

GMC Member

• 68 posts

Posted 28 August 2008 - 08:47 PM

UPDATE:
Minor bug fixes and things that users pointed out.

It's like you made a diablo2 engine there :)

The game is great, I would speed up the pace a little + the things that were already mentioned. Good luck with it, I'm waiting for the new version :lol:

Thanks for the positive feedback!
New versions will be available quite often for the next little while so keep a watch out

You need the items to be picked up automatically when you click on them and the guy approaches them. It becomes tedious when I click on a potion, but when he goes to its position he won't pick it up until I click on it again.

I noticed that too, in this update it should be fixed.

I ran out of bullets, but I could keep shooting, it just went into negative ammo.

I am aware of that, but it is pretty low on my to do list. since there is only one weapon at this point (already have more for the next update ready) I didn't want anyone running out of ammo so I didn't put a limit on it until there is more of it, if that makes sence. I've even thought of making the handgun ammo unlimited.

Hey this is fun.

Keep up the good work.

No offense, but I'd say stick with DOOM sounds only. having DIABLO ones in there is strange because the volumes and sound quality seem different.

I'm glad to hear that you fixed the resolution inconsistencies.

Thanks, I'll keep that in mind, but as of this moment the only one in there is the zombie sound. It's there aren't actual zombies that have a melee attack in the classic dooms.

I'm not sure what you mean about the cursor coordinates, they were the same on my computer. I have changed it a bit to see if that was the problem, let me know if it's fixed.

Yeah I noticed that as well.

Are you going to make the little icons at the bottom clickable? (in addition to the hotkeys) That's how I found out about the mouse thing.

The Icons will be clickable yes, and again the windows cursor should be in the same place now, hopefully.

#15 Mr. RPG

Mr. RPG

GMC's Forum Troll

• GMC Member
  • 3227 posts

Posted 28 August 2008 - 10:46 PM

Great game! I love it! 9.6
I recommend adding doom level music though. I'll keep an eye out for this game!

#16 Drewdelz

Drewdelz

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1056 posts

Posted 29 August 2008 - 08:38 AM

Great job so far! :)
My suggestions:
- Improve movement system by allowing the player to slide against walls and not "stick".
- Make clickable buttons at the bottom.

Pretty much the same stuff everyone else said. :lol: lol

Keep up the good work!

#17 if_software_

if_software_

GMC Member

• 68 posts

Posted 31 August 2008 - 04:38 AM

Update!

-HUD Quick slots
-Interactive HUD
-Enemy info diplays
-Bosses
-Weapons
-Items
-Minor Bug fixes

Great game! I love it! 9.6
I recommend adding doom level music though. I'll keep an eye out for this game!

Thanks! I have been testing some music on and off but it's hard to get it to fit properly, because the pace of the music is really fast for an RPG. My plan is to have it play certain music depending on what is happening rather than depending on the level. For example there would be separate music for battles like most RPGs.

Great job so far! :rolleyes:
My suggestions:
- Improve movement system by allowing the player to slide against walls and not "stick".
- Make clickable buttons at the bottom.

Pretty much the same stuff everyone else said. :P lol

Keep up the good work!

Thank you. I've been working on the movement system, but have yet to find a solution to smooth isometric collisions, and the HUD buttons are now clickable.

#18 Cave Man

Cave Man

GMC Member

• 118 posts

Posted 31 August 2008 - 06:05 AM

this is so awesome! if there is any way I can help I'd be glad to! (good idea man (items, enemies, boss levels, puzzles, etc.), animator, spriter, tester, debugger, coder)
Posted Image

#19 if_software_

if_software_

GMC Member

• 68 posts

Posted 31 August 2008 - 11:57 PM

this is so awesome! if there is any way I can help I'd be glad to! (good idea man (items, enemies, boss levels, puzzles, etc.), animator, spriter, tester, debugger, coder)

As of right now I'm not looking for any help, but I'll be sure to keep you in mind, thanks for the support!

BTW, PlanetDOOM did a story on the game plus picture of the day!
http://planetdoom.ga...y.php?id=153498
http://planetdoom.ga...e...tail&id=354

#20 -psyren-

-psyren-

GMC Member

• 4 posts

Posted 04 September 2008 - 01:11 PM

Wow, well I originally searched for and found this forum because of another game I saw, so this one was a surprise, and I had to register to give some feedback. ::lmao:: I'm just a player and not a programmer at all, so I hope people don't mind my comments.

Maybe I got a bad download or something, but I have some questions:
1. None of the options on the main menu seem to work except 'new game' and 'exit'.
2. Are there only three levels? I get to an exit and click it, and it sends me back to the main start screen again.

General game issues:
3. I don't like the "click to move" idea. First I have to aim and fire, then I have to change my aim to click and try to move out of the way if the enemy fires back. I would suggest maybe using cursor or the WASD keys for 'X' type movement, (W = up and right, S = down and left, since it's isometric). Along with this, it would be more innate controls to assign L mouse as 'fire' and R mouse as 'use' in my opinion.
4. Something is strange with the enemy AI. Many places I can move to the edge of a hallway and fire at them while they don't move or even notice me because I haven't gotten all the way around the corner yet.
5. If the zombie soldiers don't have a ranged attack, then they shouldn't drop ammo. :(

As someone else mentioned, having part of the wall become transparent when the player goes behind it is a good idea also. Just adding some kind of invisible blocking so the player can't get so close to the walls would work fine though.

So, you have really done a great job thus far. If there are more than just three levels eventually, with the movement and enemy AI fixed up to be more responsive, I feel this will be a really great game. I can already imagine this loaded up with tons of enemies, "Alien Shooter" style.

It will be on my tribute page - http://numerometria.com/robotron.htm

Edit:
Thinner walls in some places, if possible (?) and doors would be a nice addition and make your levels more interesting also.

Edited by -psyren-, 04 September 2008 - 01:22 PM.

#21 if_software_

if_software_

GMC Member

• 68 posts

Posted 04 September 2008 - 11:39 PM

Wow, well I originally searched for and found this forum because of another game I saw, so this one was a surprise, and I had to register to give some feedback. ;) I'm just a player and not a programmer at all, so I hope people don't mind my comments.

Maybe I got a bad download or something, but I have some questions:
1. None of the options on the main menu seem to work except 'new game' and 'exit'.
2. Are there only three levels? I get to an exit and click it, and it sends me back to the main start screen again.

General game issues:
3. I don't like the "click to move" idea. First I have to aim and fire, then I have to change my aim to click and try to move out of the way if the enemy fires back. I would suggest maybe using cursor or the WASD keys for 'X' type movement, (W = up and right, S = down and left, since it's isometric). Along with this, it would be more innate controls to assign L mouse as 'fire' and R mouse as 'use' in my opinion.
4. Something is strange with the enemy AI. Many places I can move to the edge of a hallway and fire at them while they don't move or even notice me because I haven't gotten all the way around the corner yet.
5. If the zombie soldiers don't have a ranged attack, then they shouldn't drop ammo. ^_^

As someone else mentioned, having part of the wall become transparent when the player goes behind it is a good idea also. Just adding some kind of invisible blocking so the player can't get so close to the walls would work fine though.

So, you have really done a great job thus far. If there are more than just three levels eventually, with the movement and enemy AI fixed up to be more responsive, I feel this will be a really great game. I can already imagine this loaded up with tons of enemies, "Alien Shooter" style.

It will be on my tribute page - http://numerometria.com/robotron.htm

Edit:
Thinner walls in some places, if possible (?) and doors would be a nice addition and make your levels more interesting also.

Thanks for the feedback. First of all the reason why only two of the menu options work is because it is a work in progress and there is not a save/load/options options yet.

Yes there are only three alpha levels, these levels are not consequential to the story of the game in any way but are rather just showing what the game has at this point. In fact if you look at the website underneath the download it says-
"***Please keep in mind that this is a VERY early release and is more of a concept than a game at this point.***"

The click to move style is not going to change, the reason why it is like that is because it is a imitation of the way the Diablo RPGs played. Though I do plan on putting both of the styles in, and changeable in the option menu such as 'Classic' and 'Keyboard'.
I am aware of the AI issues, and they are not what I intend to be in the final version, but again: WIP.

If you are aware of the origins of the zombies you would know that they were all UAC marines at one point (as it is in the Doom series) and all of the marines carried weapons and ammo and though these zombies either do not have a weapon on them or are unaware, there will be armed zombies added in the future.

The transparent walls is a good idea and has been taken into consideration for a future release.

Thanks for your support.

#22 Doom Nukem

Doom Nukem

GMC Member

• 1 posts

Posted 01 October 2008 - 12:33 AM

I would like to say I registered only because of this game.

It rocks. HARD!

I hope you manage to get it finished without any legal problems.

So far the game is pretty much perfect (for an alpha release).

I really loved the feel of it but I must echo the other posters as I would like the keyboard option (not replacing the mouse entirely). I would also like to know if a gamepad mode was possible. PS like gamepads being available for the PC as they are... it would be pretty nice.

Transparent walls... please! Either that or at least make the darkness somewhat different.

Will this be freeware or are you planning on selling it?

Great game, keep up the good work.

#23 stumlehb

stumlehb

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 200 posts

Posted 25 March 2009 - 08:26 PM

nice, though I got stuck behind a barrel, and when I decided to blow it up, it didn't hurt me.

#24 GothGuy101

GothGuy101

GMC Member

• 67 posts

Posted 04 April 2009 - 05:34 PM

Dude, this is frickin' sweet. Can you make this into an engine? I fell in love with it. ;) It's better than the original Doom games themselves! Well, at least more fun.

#25 wai0001

wai0001

GMC Member

• 162 posts

Posted 05 April 2009 - 10:40 AM

you drop 2 points for a menu problem?

#26 sub

sub

EVIL GENIUS

• GMC Member
  • 1905 posts
  • Version:GM6

Posted 05 April 2009 - 08:23 PM

wow.. not bad at all..

you even got the retro graphics feel :D good menu and little intro screens too

movement was at times a bit stiff, some of the shroud didn't go away as it should have (i was virtually on top of/underneath them) but nothing really for me to complain about at all, good job.

items were good also. i guess you'll be making monsters drop them in a later update? (as opposed to just having them scattered on the floor?)

disable the movement when clicking on 'add stats', i think the easiest way would be to ignore any click that is on that half of the screen? (where movement is concerned.. it'd be funny trying to add stats and all the clicks are being ignored /wipes tear from eye & chuckles)

yeh i really liked this :( can't wait for more.. you know.. half the fun in these types of mindless games is finding mad items so make sure u put in heaps of items or make a random generating procedure for them..

awesome work 9/10! make more content :)

maybe make the missile-shooting monsters move around a bit also? maybe improve/tweak their detection routine (maybe dont rely on a collision line if that's what ur using, i found similar issues to the other players)

#27 Grundoko

Grundoko

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 566 posts

Posted 06 April 2009 - 12:00 AM

This game is... Really Really good. I was completely addicted to it, until I beat the Hell level :)

The main problem I found, was the naming of items :(
You have 1 item called Light Armor, and 1 called Light Armour. I know those are both properly spelled, but I'd stick to just one way of spelling it.
Also, it progressed way too slowly. I like the way level 1 was, it was slow, and let you get used to the controls (which were awesome by the way) But level 2 and 3 should have been much harder.

As for the items, You need more, thats all I'm saying :huh:
If you want, I can help with items, I got a million ideas, and each of those million ideas can make a dozen items :(
Also, when you drop items, instead of dropping it directly on you, it should land somewhere random within a certain distance of you, so they don't all get stacked up in the same place.

The walls really, really, need to be transparent when a monster, or you are behind them. There were lots of times I was being attacked and didn't even know it. And if Alt is held, the names of all the items in the area should be shown (with the exception of those in areas you can't see yet (fog of war)

But anyway, great game, keep it up.

As a concept, and an early game
9.6/10

As a full game
5/10

I think you can reach that 9.6 if you keep up the good work :P

EDIT: Just thought of a bit more

A sound when leveling up.

Each belt slot should have a number assigned to it, like in diablo. (1 and 2)

The Inventory should not take up half of the screen, and neither should the character select. They should only take up a quarter of the screen each, so if you open them both, you still get half the screen.

Text should be smaller. It should be about 75% of it's current size. As it is, the text is very large and ugly. For people with bad eyes, make an option for small/large fonts (There, a use for your currently unused options icon :P)

EDIT 2: Just noticed, the creator of this game's last post here was in September of 2008. Not sure if there's much chance he's still working on the game :D

EDIT 3: A quick google search finds that hes still working on it. His website shows that a new version was released March 21st
http://www.ifsoftware.net/

Edited by GSoft, 06 April 2009 - 12:08 AM.

#28 sub

sub

EVIL GENIUS

• GMC Member
  • 1905 posts
  • Version:GM6

Posted 06 April 2009 - 07:22 AM

i just grabbed it.. :)
ty for posting the link!

hmm... it was almost impossible to enter the first 'dungeon' it seems you have to click a specific pixel almost??

very easy to die.. will have to play with care :D

i wonder if he'll come back here to visit this topic?

Edited by sub, 06 April 2009 - 06:07 PM.