• GMC Member
  • 817 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 24 August 2008 - 06:55 PM

Karoshi Factory

Description
Karoshi is back!
You get help from your co-workers this time,
and your goal every level is to kill each other.
This is an entry in the YoYoGames Co-operation Competition.

Features:
- exactly 25 levels
- a boss fight
- nice graphics
- great music by "dopepoo" (website)

Screenshot
Posted Image

Play!
YYG link

Hope you have fun and please rate fairly. Thanks! :D

#2 just one question

just one question

GMC Member

• 749 posts

Posted 24 August 2008 - 07:01 PM

Glad to see Karoshi is back.

Downloading now, but it's really slow.

Will edit when played.

Edit: Well, stuck on level 10. It's a great game though.

And about being agaisnt the rules, I was informing anyone in the post that the download was a bit slow, AND saying I was downloading it :D

Edited by just one question, 24 August 2008 - 07:15 PM.

#3 GameDevDan

GameDevDan

YoYo Games Staff

• Administrators
  • 1214 posts

Posted 24 August 2008 - 07:07 PM

it's a good game, and its got better graphics, music and general gameplay than the other Karoshi games.

However, other than the basic goal of killing yourself, this game isn't much different to alot of the other games in the YoYo Co Operation competition.

I played for a while... then got kinda bored... i gave i a 4/6 though.

EDIT: also, the mario Bros 1 box sprite on the title might have to be changed if you want to win the competition, as it breaches copyright.

Edited by wormintheworks, 24 August 2008 - 07:11 PM.

#4 Andreas_oj

Andreas_oj

GMC Member

• 146 posts

Posted 24 August 2008 - 07:33 PM

Wow its really great!

I stopped at level 16, "hint: be very quick" or something like that.
I know how to beat the level, but I lost interest after 30 tries >.<

I cant believe how you can design so many great and different maps..

anyways 9/10!

#5 graydon77222

graydon77222

GMC Member

• 102 posts

Posted 24 August 2008 - 07:38 PM

I liked the game, and it does seem to be better than the original Karoshi games in graphics.

I hope you win.

9/10

Edited by graydon77222, 24 August 2008 - 07:38 PM.

#6 drazzke

drazzke

GMC Member

• 1084 posts

Posted 24 August 2008 - 07:51 PM

It was good, I beat the game (All 25 levels :D)

#7 coolist

coolist

The Coolist

• 913 posts

Posted 24 August 2008 - 07:57 PM

Ok heres my short review:

Graphics: Um... pretty much same as the others. 7.5/10
Programing: Didn't find any bugs, its pretty smooth too. 8.5/10
Game play: Probably the best thing in this game, I loved it just like the other Karoshi's. 9.5/10
Replay: 8/10

Overall score: 9/10

Edited by coolist, 24 August 2008 - 08:26 PM.

#8 Bill23

Bill23

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 460 posts

Posted 24 August 2008 - 09:26 PM

EDIT: also, the mario Bros 1 box sprite on the title might have to be changed if you want to win the competition, as it breaches copyright.

I haven't played it much yet (althrough what I have played was a lot of fun), but in addition to wormintheworks point (above) the game also starts in fullscreen, which is against the rules.
Edit: I just noticed that it doesn't start fullscreen, but then it automaically switches without any imput from the user. I sill YYG might not let this win (unless you change that) though.

Edited by Bill23, 24 August 2008 - 09:28 PM.

#9 Erik Leppen

Erik Leppen

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 2522 posts

Posted 24 August 2008 - 09:41 PM

- exactly 25 levels

You have an unusual definition of "exactly". (and of "25" :))

I finished the game (at least, I got "thanks for play", I guess that's the end, but with Karoshi games, you'll never know ;)). The puzzles were very nice, especially some of the later ones were quite ingenious. I liked how you introduced certain "weird things" with a blue button instead of "just being there" (for example the reversed controls). However I thought the reverse controls level was kinda an anticlimax (I found it way too easy compared to other levels and would have liked to see a cool puzzle in its place). I thought the boss was a bit lame too (it was not a puzzle in fact).

Concept I think that the idea is not really original - I expected to see lots of multi-character platform games. I however did like the fact that you had to kill all characters (I have seen multi-character platformers where it sufficed to "reach the goal" for only one character).

Gameplay The gameplay is what I am used to from Karoshi 1: logic puzzles, instead of all kinds of hidden things like in Karoshi 2. You know what you have in a level and you know what your goal is, so actual reasoning is possible, unlike in Karoshi 2 where it was a lot of trial and error (which I also liked). Another thing the game really suffered from was bad controls. It made the quick levels much harder because I constantly pressed wrong buttons. Why not use Up arrow to jump? When a level restarts you seem to randomly shuffle the characters over their starting positions. Which I think is very unwise for two reasons. 1. communication. When I say "let the blue guy push the crate, then let the brown guy pick up the gun" (random example), this may be confising to others because they have other starting positions. 2. Switching characters. It looked quite random, I assume you always go from blue to brown to gray etc. but because their positions are different each time, the "guy who started at the top right" is not always followed by "the guy below", i.e. the player had to actually look at the colors, which I of course didn't do because the colors are not important for the strategy.

Graphics/sound/music The usual from Karoshi, with again a new tile set. The usual blood particles. Animation in the bullet reflectors was a good thing to add. I liked the music better than that from Karoshi 2, although I would have liked an option to disable it (without deleting the files) to hear the sound effects better (some sound effects could have been louder I think).

Documentation You relied on the fact that the player already knows the concept of Karoshi games. Karoshi 2 suffers from the same flaw, but I only noticed last week when I took it to a friend and he discovered the level 1 easter egg right away because nowhere the game said that its goal was to kill the guy (so the person who played thought it was just some platformer, hence tried walking to the right, out of the screen). This game, also does not explain the goal of the game.

Other I noticed a (very minor) glitch. In some level you can put a crate in a hole of one block width. If you have shot a bullet on the grade, its position is somehow not an integer anymore and it doesn't fit in the hole anymore, which looked a bit strange. I also didn't like that there was no level choice option. Also, "let's working" doesn't sound right, I think you meant "let's work".

Overall It's a good game, that's for sure, but I think there are a few things missing that make this great like Karoshi 2, controls being the biggest problem and lack of explanation the second. But for some reason I thought it was just total coolness to make those office workers work together on their suicidal master plan :D

Edited by Erik Leppen, 24 August 2008 - 09:41 PM.

#10 2Dcube

2Dcube

Programming sucks

• GMC Member
  • 817 posts

Posted 24 August 2008 - 10:25 PM

Edit: I just noticed that it doesn't start fullscreen, but then it automaically switches without any imput from the user. I sill YYG might not let this win (unless you change that) though.

Questionblock: If YYG wants me to change it I will. Technically though, it's no problem (seriously, Nintendo's not going to sue me for this), and even if they will it probably falls under parody which means it does not breach copyright.

Full screen: Whatever you can change it anyway. (Sorry, I may sound rude but imo that's just nitpicking, and something that does not determine competition outcomes).

Graphics: Um... pretty much same as the others. 7.5/10

Please take a look at the others then, these are so much better...! Thanks for the generous score by the way :)

Gameplay The gameplay is what I am used to from Karoshi 1: logic puzzles, instead of all kinds of hidden things like in Karoshi 2. You know what you have in a level and you know what your goal is, so actual reasoning is possible, unlike in Karoshi 2 where it was a lot of trial and error (which I also liked). Another thing the game really suffered from was bad controls. It made the quick levels much harder because I constantly pressed wrong buttons. Why not use Up arrow to jump? When a level restarts you seem to randomly shuffle the characters over their starting positions. Which I think is very unwise for two reasons. 1. communication. When I say "let the blue guy push the crate, then let the brown guy pick up the gun" (random example), this may be confising to others because they have other starting positions. 2. Switching characters. It looked quite random, I assume you always go from blue to brown to gray etc. but because their positions are different each time, the "guy who started at the top right" is not always followed by "the guy below", i.e. the player had to actually look at the colors, which I of course didn't do because the colors are not important for the strategy.

Documentation You relied on the fact that the player already knows the concept of Karoshi games. Karoshi 2 suffers from the same flaw, but I only noticed last week when I took it to a friend and he discovered the level 1 easter egg right away because nowhere the game said that its goal was to kill the guy (so the person who played thought it was just some platformer, hence tried walking to the right, out of the screen). This game, also does not explain the goal of the game.

Gameplay: Some valid concerns, especially the randomness of characters which I didn't really realize myself.

Documentation: I guess it's a game for the fans, who know what it's about. Still, though, it's even better when someone who does not know what it's about plays the game. I deliberately do not explain that the goal is to kill yourself. You will find out. You'll notice in all Karoshi games the first level is the same, and the only thing you can do in it is die.

Also, "let's working" doesn't sound right, I think you meant "let's work".

It's a joke on how the Japanese often misspell english. "Engrish". Same with "Thanks for play" at the end. I don 't expect everybody to get that though, and that's ok.

Thanks for your extensive review, and thanks everybody for the replies. :D

A final word: The game is not meant to be a successor to Karoshi 2.0, but rather a side story, hence it's not called Karoshi 3.

#11 Bill23

Bill23

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 460 posts

Posted 24 August 2008 - 10:39 PM

Full screen: Whatever you can change it anyway. (Sorry, I may sound rude but imo that's just nitpicking, and something that does not determine competition outcomes).

Normally, I'd agree with you, but in this case the rulesactually say

The game should not change the screen resolution and should run in a window (rather than full screen).

Technically it says "should", not must, so you could argue that it isn't required, but they did disqualify a game for using copyrighted resources (which it also says "should about).

If you want to make the game start out full screen, that's your choice, I just thought I'd point it out.
Edit: I want to make it really clear that I am not trying to "nitpick" and/or be rude. I just think it might be a bit annoying to lose a competiton just because of a rule that doesn't really make sense (or at least I don't think it makes sense.)

Anyway, I've been playing it some more, and I like it a lot. I think I prefered 2, but this is still really fun. The only real dissapointment is that Level 12 isn't the "K" level.

Edited by Bill23, 24 August 2008 - 10:52 PM.

#12 Dmaster270

Dmaster270

GMC Member

• 1736 posts

Posted 24 August 2008 - 10:40 PM

It was fun. I love how you enter at the exact last second.

#13 NAL

NAL

凸ʕಠᴥಠʔ凸

• YoYo Games Staff
  • 801 posts

Posted 24 August 2008 - 10:44 PM

Fun game with improved graphics, implementation of the theme and puzzles that are definitely Karoshi-esque. If I was going to nitpick, I would target two things - the controls for jumping and character switching (I think either Z-jump and X-switch, up-jump and Space-switch, or both, would be best), as (to me) they felt a little uncomfortable and I often found myself doing the wrong action. The other point would have to be that the implementation of the competition theme is pretty much identical to that of 95% of other entries - two (or more) guys stuck in a room, jumping on each others' heads to reach high platforms. Otherwise, nice effort. I'm yet to complete the game so I won't rate it yet (especially as your Karoshi games tend to be unpredictable after the number of levels you've said they have).

#14 orange08

orange08

Art Game Movement

• GMC Member
  • 2247 posts
  • Version:GM:HTML5

Posted 25 August 2008 - 12:32 AM

Wow! This game is good. and unexpected... I didnt think you were going to participate in the yyg competition...
Well, anyway I got to level 17 and decided to comment..
The graphics look better... and... prettier?
There was one bug (glitch) though... I would have a block, just sitting there.. and then I would put a guy on top of it, then I would have another guy push the block out from under the other guy. The guy that pushed the block out from under the other guy appeared to be on the top instead of staying on the bottom were he belonged...

So, good game I rate it 9.5/10

-orange08

Keep up the good games! I love em'.

#15 Ampersand

Ampersand

Greatest boolean of all

• 796 posts

Posted 25 August 2008 - 01:33 AM

I knew it! I knew it! I told GMREC1111 and LoopStan that 2Dcube would release something and own the comp, as always... but then I saw you release something else just the other day, and I guessed you weren't going to enter. But I guess so! :D

Good luck in the comp!

Cheers,
---Ampersand

#16 PetzI

PetzI

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1057 posts

Posted 25 August 2008 - 01:59 AM

This isn't any better than the other games, but it's still very good. The bad thing about making a great game is that when it's great you've probably perfected it completely and can't make it any better. I don't think you could reuse to enhance the "think out of the game" part about karoshi, or enhance it. That part was one of the best things about karoshi (especially 2.0). That being said, I was pretty sure that we wouldn't be seeing karoshi again for quite a while (you couldn't make it any better).

I don't understand why you sometimes decide to leave games unpolished, even if a previous game in the series was. There's no level selection, no level editor/custom levels, no extras and stuff like that. The first game had level selection, and the second had level selection and a level editor, so I don't understand why you'd leave both of those aside. I mean, when you make a sequel you're supposed to try to make everything better, and since it's nearly impossible to make to betterize it after karoshi 2's success, you could atleast try to polish it, and add a few extras to try to make up for it. I'm guessing you didn't have time for those things, since your signature says it's a contest entry (deadlines and stuff), so maybe you could make a new version of the game with those things included, just for the fans rather than the contest?

The graphics weren't better, but they weren't worse either. There's really no way to improve the graphics, so I'll just be gratefull that you changed them, rather than effortly copy-paste. :D

I didn't really like the music, the previous ones were much better (again, there's no polishing, so I can't change it in the menu like I could in karoshi 2 -.- ) and it can get slightly annoying at times. It's not horrible, but it doesn't quite fit the theme.

The gameplay makes up for the flaws of course, although the flaws should never even exist since they're nothing new and strange to you. The gameplay is just karoshi 1 without the "thinking out of the box" part (like I said, it couldn't be recycled along with the rest of the gameplay) but it now brings us a brand new element out of the deep box of innovation, fun and cleverness that are the karoshi series. Without the "think out of the box" part, the game now relies on puzzles, which obviously didn't let us down. Thing is, instead of 25 levels, you could have gotten 35 or 40 with a level editor. Shame on you! The problem with the karoshi 2 levels was that they couldn't recreate the game experience because they didn't allow cows falling off the sky, certain keys being pressed, or using the mouse (this would never work in custom stand-alone levels anyway). With this game, you don't have that problem, and it allows a lot of new puzzles which you didn't come up with.

So overall, it's a good game but not better than karoshi 2 (could never have been). But you diserve some beating for leaving it unpolished and short. It needed some more attention, and the boss part is new but is missing the charm that the others had. You should go see a shrink and cure that paranoia you have over karoshi, and stop being lazy. I know making these games affected your mind, but that's no reason to be afraid of death-from-overwork.

Sorry about the gigantic wall of text.

#17 Mkkk

Mkkk

GMC Member

• 19 posts

Posted 25 August 2008 - 03:09 AM

awesome game 2dcube good luck in the comp. :D

#18 e_svedang

e_svedang

GMC Member

• 8 posts

Posted 25 August 2008 - 03:31 AM

It felt fresh without losing the feel of the older games, great!

#19 acidBatterie

acidBatterie

GMC Member

• 28 posts

Posted 25 August 2008 - 03:32 AM

loved it :D

#20 True Valhalla

True Valhalla

ಠ_ಠ

• GMC Member
  • 5277 posts
  • Version:Unknown

Posted 25 August 2008 - 05:19 AM

Hey 2D, loved the game and recommended it on the PC Powerplay forums (www.pcpowerplay.com.au/forums).

On that note, im wondering, did you know they put Karoshi 1 and 2 on their DVD's?

#21 DarkFlame

DarkFlame

GMB Member...wtf?

• GMC Member
  • 2163 posts

Posted 25 August 2008 - 05:49 AM

Please provide a fast mirror for those of us stuck with internet from the stone age

EDIT: It lived upto the theme and standard of the series. But the 10th level stumped me :P

Edited by DarkFlame, 25 August 2008 - 09:12 AM.

#22 Dannerz

Dannerz

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 178 posts

Posted 25 August 2008 - 09:07 AM

I beat the game now too.
Short and comical.
I have not seen that idea as a game before, so it's new for me to see.
Thanks for uploading, but although it's all polished, I wouldn't say it's 10 or top notch.

#23 DarkFlame

DarkFlame

GMB Member...wtf?

• GMC Member
  • 2163 posts

Posted 25 August 2008 - 09:14 AM

Thanks for uploading, but although it's all polished, I wouldn't say it's 10 or top notch.

I guess that's because the scripting/images are perfect for the game,...but nothing special?

#24 Imadjinni

Imadjinni

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 47 posts

Posted 25 August 2008 - 11:30 AM

Great fun, as always. The last few seemed easier than ones before them, but oh well.

NIPPLE MISSILE!

#25 Supermini_man

Supermini_man

its party time

• 65 posts

Posted 25 August 2008 - 11:42 AM

*explodes*

This game is actualy very fun :P . I never knew that cooperation and karoshi would work togeter. Excellent job.
But who would allow a karoshi factory anyway? ^_^

10/10

#26 Lukearentz

Lukearentz

My Two Cents

• 2587 posts

Posted 25 August 2008 - 11:48 AM

Hey 2D, loved the game and recommended it on the PC Powerplay forums (www.pcpowerplay.com.au/forums).

On that note, im wondering, did you know they put Karoshi 1 and 2 on their DVD's?

If they indeed did, they would have had to ask him first. So that means yes he does know. But I get PCPP and I have never seen it?

#27 TheMordeus

TheMordeus

The Dark Lady

• GMC Member
  • 1540 posts

Posted 25 August 2008 - 12:41 PM

Interesting game, I must say. I havent played any of the earlier ones, but I didnt find it too hard to figure out what to do. The only thing hard was to get my fingers to do what I told them, cause they had some troubles with that.. Anyway, the difficulty seemed a bit off. Some of the middle stages was a real headache, but towards the end, it was pretty easy to solve. Dunno if you ran out of ideas, or if I found a "wrong" way to solve em. I know you made it for the comp, so there was a deadline, but I would have liked to see some more content. The way you introduced more and more co-workers was nice, but it got a bit boring after sum 10 stages when everything was pretty much the same. A few more ideas into it wouldnt hurt. However, I did play through it, so it wasn't bad or anything.

All in all, its a pretty neat game. Somewhat "original" approach :P And I can agree that working in a factory sometimes gives you the urge to commit suicide.

#28 headline@live.se

headline@live.se

GMC Member

• 1298 posts

Posted 25 August 2008 - 02:44 PM

Ok, just so ppl know why it isn't as polished as the other ones:
He made it in 3 days o.0

EDIT:
Heh, just forgot to say... its great anyway.. and lucky you that ppl doesnt agree with me on the boss... i thought is was a bit lame and short

Edited by headline@live.se, 25 August 2008 - 02:54 PM.

#29 Hungryformore21

Hungryformore21

GMC Member

• 74 posts

Posted 25 August 2008 - 02:45 PM

Dude.... your awesome. Good game! I'm so glad you ended up making another karoshi! :P

#30 dopepoo

dopepoo

GMC Member

• 3 posts

Posted 25 August 2008 - 03:49 PM

:P

Hi Folks,

Just wanted to share a thought on the music. If we'd had more time I would have written a few tracks and let you choose between some different styles for the game, but 2Dcube only told me about the competition on Friday evening! Lol, so I wrote the 1 track in a few hours, and I didn't really have anything else suitable in my back catalogue that would fit the game. So we ended up with only 1.

Oh well, it was great fun to write it anyways,

Cheers

Jake

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users