#1 Erik Leppen

Erik Leppen

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 2751 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 23 August 2008 - 09:26 AM

ByteAlity Tower Defense

:D Overview ByteAlity Tower Defense is a tower defense game with lots of maps and lots of towers, so it has plenty of play time. Find a location to build towers in order to shoot down the enemies that are trying to mow down your buildings. Collect more money by killing enemies and use this to build and upgrade more towers.

::lmao:: Features This game features a whopping 120 maps, but you will have to unlock them for them to become available. Most of the times you unlock a new row of maps, you also unlock new towers that are used in these maps. In total, expect more than 20 types of towers. The game also has a map editor, in which you can design your own maps, using the towers you unlocked in the campaign.

:) Screenshots
Click on a link to see a screenshot of the game play.
In game screenshot 1
In game screenshot 2
In game screenshot 3
In game screenshot 4

:D Download
YoYoGames Page
Download ByteAlity Tower Defense (YoYoGames)

Edited by Erik Leppen, 24 December 2008 - 03:00 PM.

promo_briquidmini_500x150.png

#2 Spaceoff

Spaceoff

Orbital Debris

• GMC Member
  • 788 posts

Posted 23 August 2008 - 07:43 PM

Nice work!
I like it
except that it seems like it doesnt vary in level difficulty.

Edited by Spaceoff, 23 August 2008 - 07:56 PM.

#3 PurpleFuzzy

PurpleFuzzy

Punk Rock Princess

• GMC Member
  • 1589 posts
  • Version:None

Posted 23 August 2008 - 07:55 PM

It's nicely made, but the whole tower defense concept is getting really old.

Good luck in the competition.

-PF

Edited by PurpleFuzzy, 23 August 2008 - 07:56 PM.

#4 Spaceoff

Spaceoff

Orbital Debris

• GMC Member
  • 788 posts

Posted 23 August 2008 - 11:02 PM

I change my mind, I was playing wrong, this game is awesome =O
Some things to fix is wave counter still ticks after you beat a level but it does nothing so its not a problem.

Edited by Spaceoff, 23 August 2008 - 11:03 PM.

#5 Erik Leppen

Erik Leppen

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 2751 posts

Posted 24 August 2008 - 10:04 PM

It's nicely made, but the whole tower defense concept is getting really old.

Good luck in the competition.

-PF

Thanks for the comment, but you're right, the concept of the game is not that original. But I just wanted to make a good tower defense game because I like the genre myself, and hence this game was not intended to be original.

I change my mind, I was playing wrong, this game is awesome =O
Some things to fix is wave counter still ticks after you beat a level but it does nothing so its not a problem.

Thanks for the enthousiasm :D About the wave counter - you're right, but the last one or two weeks I was constantly working on fixing tiny little things like that and the day before the deadline I decided that I just wanted it to be done, so I fixed the most important things, included the last maps and uploaded it. There are probably a few more little things, but I just didn't really have the time for it and I was also becoming kinda bored by constantly working on polish/interface/menus while the actual game engine was already finished for so long.

#6 Lapixx

Lapixx

GMC Member

• 93 posts

Posted 25 August 2008 - 09:34 PM

I defenitly like the simple graphics, there are much different types of towers, and you even put time in making a level editor. Seriously, I'm not a big fan of TD games, but this one is really well done, and worth playing, obviously. (don't think you can beat me in the competition though :P)

#7 rinkuhero

rinkuhero

Paul Eres

• GMC Member
  • 1919 posts

Posted 27 August 2008 - 02:16 PM

Nice game, I noticed that parts seemed definitely inspired by my game Immortal Defense, but still a great game. Needs a story though!

#8 LongeBane

LongeBane

GMC Member

• 77 posts

Posted 28 August 2008 - 02:03 AM

hmm, this game looks a lot like one GM game i played here before. I forgot what it was called, immoral defense? something like that.

http://www.studiodao.com Music | Artwork | Games

#9 IdleGame

IdleGame

GMC Member

• 23 posts

Posted 28 August 2008 - 02:18 AM

heh heh awsome job

#10 Dannerz

Dannerz

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 195 posts

Posted 28 August 2008 - 03:40 AM

I just beat the first 2 levels.
I am noticing how much finer detail was put into this game.

Ok, first 4 campeign missions:
I survived each of them, but only #3 has the green check mark on it.
I tried the levels more than once and the kills score i got never changed because the rate of enemies outputted did not change either. Therefor the highscore feature seems to not work, or those level's highscore things cannot be topped?

Edited by Dannerz, 28 August 2008 - 09:19 AM.

#11 Erik Leppen

Erik Leppen

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 2751 posts

Posted 28 August 2008 - 04:07 PM

Nice game, I noticed that parts seemed definitely inspired by my game Immortal Defense, but still a great game. Needs a story though!

I think some parts may be inspired by Immortal Defense, but also a few things I thought myself and later I noticed "Immortal Defense also had this". I think the only things inspired by Immortal Defense, are the numbers showing damage (an option in the settings menu) and the marks on the circles of towers to show their upgrade level. The vector-like graphics are chosen independently, and the mouse tower is chosen independently. You might be right that parts look similar, but that may also be the genre. About stories: I'm very bad at thinking of stories and I think a game can better have no story than a weak story. You might be right, I guess, but I made the game for simple tower defense action, not to tell my players some message or immerse them in some "adventurous mission" :GM072:

hmm, this game looks a lot like one GM game i played here before. I forgot what it was called, immoral defense? something like that.

Check out rinkuhero's reply directly above yours, and my reply to his post directly above this quote ;)

heh heh awsome job

heh heh thanks :(

I just beat the first 2 levels.
I am noticing how much finer detail was put into this game.

Ok, first 4 campeign missions:
I survived each of them, but only #3 has the green check mark on it.
I tried the levels more than once and the kills score i got never changed because the rate of enemies outputted did not change either. Therefor the highscore feature seems to not work, or those level's highscore things cannot be topped?

Did you do the whole tutorial? You can use space bar or click the next wave button to call the next wave. (underlined to catch the eye of others) Doing so gives you more kills, but doing so too often will result in too strong enemies that will reach your building(s). I realize this is kinda "hidden" too much in the tutorial, I could have made something to remind you of the fact that you can click next wave in the first level or so, but I didn't think of this: as it was in the tutorial I assumed people would find it out. So you found a little design flaw in my game, thanks for noticing :GM072: And thanks for the reply.

Edited by Erik Leppen, 28 August 2008 - 04:08 PM.

#12 rinkuhero

rinkuhero

Paul Eres

• GMC Member
  • 1919 posts

Posted 28 August 2008 - 07:36 PM

I managed to finish the game today (all 120 levels had checks or those yellow circles). A few more comments:

- the heal tower is a bit overpowered: once you have a few of them at high level, it's impossible to lose your building. perhaps they should be weakened a bit, at least at higher levels.

- the levels get a bit repetitive after awhile, even though the map design is very good, because there's no variation in enemy types: the same enemies you face in the first level, you face in the 120th level. I'd have liked to see new types of enemies occasionally, or bosses with different abilities. My game had 26 types of enemies and I felt that was too few as well.

- most of the levels were too easy, there wasn't really much challenge. Maybe that's because I've played so many TD games though. The only level I had trouble with was the "Hi" level, and even that only took three or four tries. The rest I usually won on the first try.

- an online high score table for the most kills would be nice (most total kills in the game I mean), would make the game more competitive.

- it really needs more variety of music and sound effects! There's like, only one song (which has one or two variations for the stage select screen etc.), and a lot of the towers don't have distinct sound effects or any sound at all.

- sometimes it's not clear what a tower does, a help menu or instructions describing each tower might be useful.

- as for not having a story, a game without a story always feels like it's missing something to me, it's not about message or going on an adventure, it's about knowing *why* you're fighting or why you're doing what you're doing in the game. In this game, I was killing millions of things, but I had no idea why, there was no reason to kill them all. Was I defending buildings? I had no idea who my character was or what his motivations were, or who was attacking those buildings or why, etc., it just lacked motivation. Of course that didn't stop me from finishing all 120 levels, but it might have stopped someone else, because a story usually provides the motivation to keep going and find out what happens next. If you don't like writing stories that's understandable, but I think it adds a lot to a game.

Aside from those complaints, the game is pretty great and I had a lot of fun with it. This is of my favorite GM games.

#13 Dannerz

Dannerz

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 195 posts

Posted 28 August 2008 - 10:29 PM

Erik thanks for telling me about space bar.

I could beat the first 4 levels so I assumed I did not need to look at the tutorial.

#14 weckar

weckar

Helping Hand

• GMC Member
  • 2616 posts
  • Version:Unknown

Posted 28 August 2008 - 11:05 PM

Hmmmm... I must say I like the flashlight towers. At the same time hate the mouse towers. THe clock ticks way too slow ('bout one tick every three secs?)
Just had my 10-year forum anniversary. Feeling - Even - Older.
Awards & Recognitions:
Spoiler

[I have a nasty habit of writing "it is" simply as "it". Please forgive me, I try to avoid it.]

#15 joshivir

joshivir

GMC Member

• 1 posts

Posted 28 August 2008 - 11:50 PM

Registered just to ask this :)

What does the 'time tower' do? I've found it in one or two levels so far, but didn't see any effect when I placed it... I thought it might speed up firing rate of towers in range, but that doesn't seem to be it

#16 rinkuhero

rinkuhero

Paul Eres

• GMC Member
  • 1919 posts

Posted 28 August 2008 - 11:52 PM

Registered just to ask this :)

What does the 'time tower' do? I've found it in one or two levels so far, but didn't see any effect when I placed it... I thought it might speed up firing rate of towers in range, but that doesn't seem to be it

I asked him that too, and he answered it. It slows down any enemy in range. However, the effect is so small at lower levels that you won't notice the effect until it's around level 5 or above. It's pretty useful, but only at higher levels, so I wouldn't bother placing it until late in a level when you have 10,000 extra "money" (I forgot the currency's name, I think it's just "money").

#17 Dannerz

Dannerz

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 195 posts

Posted 29 August 2008 - 01:09 AM

what do the wire towers do?

#18 rinkuhero

rinkuhero

Paul Eres

• GMC Member
  • 1919 posts

Posted 29 August 2008 - 01:13 AM

what do the wire towers do?

If you place two of them, the shoot bullets between the two, if they're in range of one another. A lot like the Circuit Point in Immortal Defense :)

#19 Dannerz

Dannerz

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 195 posts

Posted 29 August 2008 - 02:18 AM

thankyou rinkuhero

#20 Erik Leppen

Erik Leppen

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 2751 posts

Posted 29 August 2008 - 06:36 PM

- the heal tower is a bit overpowered: once you have a few of them at high level, it's impossible to lose your building. perhaps they should be weakened a bit, at least at higher levels.

I think you're right, however it does make the strategy different, and besides, only some levels have them, so I think I'll leave them like they are. I also noticed this effect, but I thought about it as an "investment in healing" that the player can choose for himself. I think the tower might be too cheap but I think I'll leave it as it is now.

- the levels get a bit repetitive after awhile, even though the map design is very good, because there's no variation in enemy types: the same enemies you face in the first level, you face in the 120th level.

True, I guess. Didn't really think the enemies over, I kinda assumed it was good as it is and people playing a beta version didn't mention anything about it.

- most of the levels were too easy, there wasn't really much challenge. Maybe that's because I've played so many TD games though. The only level I had trouble with was the "Hi" level, and even that only took three or four tries. The rest I usually won on the first try.

You are right about the fact that most levels are pretty easy to "survive". I wanted this myself, as a map that is hard to survive can only be so by making it longer and forcing the player to wait between waves. As I found waiting boring, I decided to make most maps short enough so that you can play them using the next wave button. This makes surviving easy, so the challenge would then lie within getting enough kills to unlock the next row.

The next dilemma was determining the goal score for the maps. On one side, people good at tower defense games should not go through the game too easily, yet people not so good at tower defense games should not get stuck early on. I tried raising the goal scores towards the later levels (I don't even know if all of the goal scores at later levels are possible, but I wanted to make it harder to unlock the new row), but determining the amount by which to raise them was hard, and as you noticed, probably not optimal...

- it really needs more variety of music and sound effects! There's like, only one song (which has one or two variations for the stage select screen etc.), and a lot of the towers don't have distinct sound effects or any sound at all.

You're right, the music was rushed. I didn't have enough time (and composing skills...) to make better music, I too wanted to make more tracks but I spent too much time making stupid programming errors so making the entire menu structure went quite slow, hence took quite some more time than I expected. At you might have noticed, the default setting is music "off", I would have put it default "on" if I'd have liked it better myself :whistle: About sound... some towers have no sound on purpose, especially most continuously shooting towers (flashlight, fire, toxic, ...) because nearly any sound would get annoying when played continuously. Finding sounds was quite hard also, and that left some towers quiet... and in fact, I didn't think this was that bad myself when playing this... (There might even be some maps without any shooting sound at all. Notice the quietness of the "Flame On" map :))

- sometimes it's not clear what a tower does, a help menu or instructions describing each tower might be useful.

Again, you spotted a dilemma I had when making this game. I have had descriptions at first, but when I decided to make a translation option (notice in the settings menu you can switch to Dutch) I didn't want all tower descriptions right there in the translation file because opening the file would ruin the surprise of new towers. Also I didn't want translations to be noncomplete, so I decided to scrap the whole descriptions thing because I thought most of it would be self-explanatory anyway. This does indeed make a few tower's functioning (time, wire, laser) a bit unclear, but I hoped that users would try stuff out themselves to find out what it does (for example, by accidentally placing wire towers within each other's range)

Aside from those complaints, the game is pretty great and I had a lot of fun with it. This is of my favorite GM games.

Thanks, and good luck improving scores ;P And also thanks for the extensive list of suggestions and other points of view.

THe clock ticks way too slow ('bout one tick every three secs?)

I'm never good at optimizing code, I guess the game is lagging on the PC you're playing it on. I took a look into this but there wasn't one single thing that I could accuse of sucking up so much CPU time, everything contributed for a little. This made optimizing very hard, and to be honest, optimizing the code was of a lower priority than making the game work correctly... :D

#21 rinkuhero

rinkuhero

Paul Eres

• GMC Member
  • 1919 posts

Posted 29 August 2008 - 07:29 PM

I'm never good at optimizing code, I guess the game is lagging on the PC you're playing it on. I took a look into this but there wasn't one single thing that I could accuse of sucking up so much CPU time, everything contributed for a little. This made optimizing very hard, and to be honest, optimizing the code was of a lower priority than making the game work correctly... :whistle:

I spent a lot of time optimizing my game too, so I could offer a few things I did:

First, I set the game to run by default at 30 fps, rather than 60 fps. Slower computers can handle 30 fps a lot easier than they can handle 60 fps. It's probably too late for your game to do that, but that's a big way to make a game run well on older computers.

Second, I gave all objects and particles which were just for show dynamic self-modifying behavior -- in other words, the game monitored its own fps, and when it went too low it adjusted itself accordingly by reducing the duration of the numbers that appeared, eliminating whether they appeared at all, reducing the particles that appeared, and so on. In that way the game adjusted itself for slow computers without having to ask the player to change the options themselves. I even had scripts vary the level of detail they used depending on the user's fps -- for instance the portal that enemies enter and exit the path from in Immortal Defense changes its detail level depending on the current fps, and even disappears altogether when it's a very low (around 20) fps.

#22 weckar

weckar

Helping Hand

• GMC Member
  • 2616 posts

Posted 29 August 2008 - 07:39 PM

hmmm, may I ask what kind of code you use for the clock? I may know a way to optimise it regardless of cpu or fps.
Awards & Recognitions:
Spoiler

[I have a nasty habit of writing "it is" simply as "it". Please forgive me, I try to avoid it.]

#23 rinkuhero

rinkuhero

Paul Eres

• GMC Member
  • 1919 posts

Posted 29 August 2008 - 08:04 PM

hmmm, may I ask what kind of code you use for the clock? I may know a way to optimise it regardless of cpu or fps.

I'm not sure detaching the clock from the fps is a good idea, if that's what you mean... it'd mean that people with slower computers would be at an advantage, because the enemies would be moving slower but the clock would be going at the same speed.

#24 Dannerz

Dannerz

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 195 posts

Posted 29 August 2008 - 09:16 PM

You're right, the music was rushed. I didn't have enough time (and composing skills...) to make better music, I too wanted to make more tracks

What application did you make the 2 songs in/with?
What format are the songs?

I thought they were pretty good.

#25 weckar

weckar

Helping Hand

• GMC Member
  • 2616 posts

Posted 30 August 2008 - 06:07 PM

I'm not sure detaching the clock from the fps is a good idea, if that's what you mean... it'd mean that people with slower computers would be at an advantage, because the enemies would be moving slower but the clock would be going at the same speed.

well, for the enemies you could just do something like

speed=base_speed*(room_speed/fps)

for a close to consant speed on any computer
Awards & Recognitions:
Spoiler

#26 rinkuhero

rinkuhero

Paul Eres

• GMC Member
  • 1919 posts

Posted 30 August 2008 - 06:11 PM

The problem with that is that the fps variable in GM isn't an accurate measurement of the actual fps. It's only updated periodically, not every tick, so if you do that the enemies will seem to jump in fits and starts rather than smoothly go along with the frame rate. There is a dll to get a more accurate fps count that I believe Yourself made, so that might work, but it seems like an incredibly complex method to do something that could be done much more simply (by dynamically reducing the number of particles and other visual effects depending on the fps).

#27 weckar

weckar

Helping Hand

• GMC Member
  • 2616 posts

Posted 30 August 2008 - 06:57 PM

Really, I'm just annoyed that a "5 minute game" takes me 15 minutes.
Awards & Recognitions:
Spoiler

#28 rinkuhero

rinkuhero

Paul Eres

• GMC Member
  • 1919 posts

Posted 30 August 2008 - 07:03 PM

Really, I'm just annoyed that a "5 minute game" takes me 15 minutes.

Upgrade your computer? My computer isn't the best (it only has a 65$ video card, the 8500 GT) but it runs the game perfectly.

#29 weckar

weckar

Helping Hand

• GMC Member
  • 2616 posts

Posted 30 August 2008 - 08:31 PM

I would, but for some reason the manufacturer thought it smart to weld the casing togetehr instead of using clips or screws....
Awards & Recognitions:
Spoiler

#30 Dannerz

Dannerz

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 195 posts

Posted 30 August 2008 - 09:31 PM

weckar, when you played, did you turn off particles in the options menu?
That tends to make it not as hard on CPU.

#31 weckar

weckar

Helping Hand

• GMC Member
  • 2616 posts

Posted 30 August 2008 - 10:42 PM

waaaait, there's an options menu?
Well, that was probably it then. Sorry, don't feel like playing it again.
Awards & Recognitions:
Spoiler

#32 gergith

gergith

GMC Member

• 1 posts

Posted 06 September 2008 - 02:10 AM

Hey. This game is absolutly amazing. Im not certain what this website or forum is all about. But this game is simply amazing. Thank you for making it.

I think it would be fun to have different campaigns. So that you could actually group your custom made levels and release them as a campaign.
and also to expand the game you could do so by having lots of campaigns.

Most of mine are 30 minutes for the sake of ridiculousness:p (to address the comment of tower health, when you get to the point when you keep on clicking next wave, it gets scary sometimes! :skull:)

regardless, that would be awesome to do :D more campaigns would make this game PERFECT.

and as far as performance. you could solve it EASILY. separate the math and the graphics. i don't know if you are or not.
but i would suggest doing it like this, like the math and the time link up, and the graphics only be displayed as 30fps, 60fps, and concurrently with the math.
like firerate, enemy movement, and time are three things linked as one. and they tick. make that happen SEPERATE from the graphics. or rather make it blit the screen by an assigned rate within the math part if you have to.

thank you again. I dont mind the long games too much. it just makes the later levels take longer :medieval:

THEEE perfect tower defense game :skull:

#33 :MT:

:MT:

GMC Member

• 154 posts

Posted 06 September 2008 - 09:23 AM

BEST tower defence game i have played EVER!

I added to Fav's on YYG.

#34 Alsagoz

Alsagoz

GMC Member

• 1 posts

Posted 08 September 2008 - 02:37 AM

This game is one of the most interesting Tower Defense I've ever play... I made an account here because of this game ^_^ .

+ There are not so many types of enemy but all of them are covered in every themes/styles/whatever (Normal, Few, Strong, Many etc.).
+ I like "Next Wave" button. It add the dimension of play like "When to call the next wave?".
+ I like "Map Editor" feature. It add the replayability.
+ The designed "Path" combined with "Availability" of towers can make each maps have the different usages of strategies.
+ I like how you put "Time Limit" in the game. It really have a time pressure and ensure that you use "Call Next Wave" enough for each map.
- Some maps need some tweaks.
- Musics make me feel sleepy. It should be changeable.
- Playing field a bit too dull when look and play with it for a long time. It should be changeable.
- Translation feature is a bit limited. If it can change fonts and can use unicode text (especially for East Asian language, the translation choices will be expand.
? I saw enemies jump a little bit (It's looks like it skip a short distance) on some curves on some maps. Is that a problem?

My suggestion about the types of enemy is just to make it "Arrangeable" (except boss) because it can increase the varieties of each maps a lot (eg. Some sequence of waves can be more deadly when used too fast in some map).

On map design

- Randomness (from enemies entry points and seperated pathways) do increase its replayability (as it shown in some maps). Be sure that it will not effect your building a lot when luck goes bad :o.
- Difficulty depend on many factors especially its time limit and score's quota. With extensive tests the difficulty should be well-tuned.

Anyway, great work!

Edited by Alsagoz, 09 September 2008 - 01:15 AM.

#35 icuurd12b42

icuurd12b42

Self Formed Sentient

• GMC Elder
  • 18181 posts

Posted 08 September 2008 - 06:30 AM

Yet another game from erik that has me totaly addicted.

Can you explain some of the more obscure weapons. Some of them (the later ones) I have no idea what thy do.

Edited by icuurd12b42, 08 September 2008 - 07:16 AM.

gmcbanner.pnggmcbanner_tools.png

ICU Live Tutoring Through Slack or Skype | My Tools Page follow.png

I FRANTICALLY MADE MY 18000 POST TOPIC BEFORE MIKE ANNOUNCED A DELAY...
Now I'm squirming not to hit that reply button

#36 EvolutionX

EvolutionX

GMC Member

• 21 posts

Posted 09 September 2008 - 03:31 PM

I really, really love tower defense games, and for the first time its not a trial version. I would say your remake is the best version by far.

Best Tower:
Machine Gun Tower(good against strong and many enemies, and don't forget cheap)

Worst Tower:
Love/heart Tower(still don't know what it does)

Tower Defense = Hours Of Fun

Tower Defense With A Twist

#37 Nintendo-Guy

Nintendo-Guy

GMC Member

• 1 posts

Posted 05 October 2008 - 04:58 PM

What does the heal tower do? I have no idea...

#38 PurpleFuzzy

PurpleFuzzy

Punk Rock Princess

• GMC Member
  • 1589 posts
  • Version:None

Posted 05 October 2008 - 05:35 PM

Regardless of my earlier criticism, I'm happy to see you won the competition. Your game is very well-made and I enjoy it, despite the fact that it's not an original concept. It's great that you're able to acknowledge that you've taken a genre that's been done to death but decided to make your own game anyway.

The amount of polish is very high, the gameplay is exciting and overall, it's just very well-made. I'm not a fan of tower defense games, but I'm a fan of this game.

Great work.

-PF

#39 Erik Leppen

Erik Leppen

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 2751 posts

Posted 05 October 2008 - 05:49 PM

What application did you make the 2 songs in/with?
What format are the songs?

I thought they were pretty good.

I use Modplug Tracker - it's free but works like a charm, at least now I'm used to it. The website is www.modplug.com, you should find a download link there somewhere. The format is, I believe, usually referred to as "modular music" (.mod, .it, ...), it's sort of a mix of a wave and a midi file. You import samples/instruments in the file and use those to make notes of any pitch, volume and duration, and the program offers some cool effects that take some time to master - I rarely use those effects.

Hey. This game is absolutly amazing. Im not certain what this website or forum is all about. But this game is simply amazing. Thank you for making it.

I think it would be fun to have different campaigns. So that you could actually group your custom made levels and release them as a campaign.
and also to expand the game you could do so by having lots of campaigns.

Most of mine are 30 minutes for the sake of ridiculousness:p (to address the comment of tower health, when you get to the point when you keep on clicking next wave, it gets scary sometimes! :P)

regardless, that would be awesome to do :whistle: more campaigns would make this game PERFECT.

Thanks for your reply. This website is about game development as a hobby (using Game Maker) so you'll find lots of cool games here. About campaigns. You might be right, but I can tell you I really had a hard time designing all the levels. I even had to call the help of my brother and his girlfriend to make a few levels for me to finish in time, because the 120 levels were kinda an accident... I planned to have "around 20" levels initially, but when I told that to my brother, he misunderstood me and thought I said "120" and was all enthusiast about that. But, fortunately, there's a map editor (which I of course made before I made most of the maps) which you can use to make a series of levels yourself. :)

and as far as performance. you could solve it EASILY. separate the math and the graphics. i don't know if you are or not.
but i would suggest doing it like this, like the math and the time link up, and the graphics only be displayed as 30fps, 60fps, and concurrently with the math.
like firerate, enemy movement, and time are three things linked as one. and they tick. make that happen SEPERATE from the graphics. or rather make it blit the screen by an assigned rate within the math part if you have to.

That seems to be an interesting approach. When there's enough time, display the scene, else, don't display, but do compute it. Seems useful, but not so easy to make. But it's good to keep in mind.

BEST tower defence game i have played EVER!

I added to Fav's on YYG.

Thanks, that reply is short and sweet :)

This game is one of the most interesting Tower Defense I've ever play... I made an account here because of this game <_< .

+ There are not so many types of enemy but all of them are covered in every themes/styles/whatever (Normal, Few, Strong, Many etc.).
+ I like "Next Wave" button. It add the dimension of play like "When to call the next wave?".
+ I like "Map Editor" feature. It add the replayability.
+ The designed "Path" combined with "Availability" of towers can make each maps have the different usages of strategies.
+ I like how you put "Time Limit" in the game. It really have a time pressure and ensure that you use "Call Next Wave" enough for each map.
- Some maps need some tweaks.
- Musics make me feel sleepy. It should be changeable.
- Playing field a bit too dull when look and play with it for a long time. It should be changeable.
- Translation feature is a bit limited. If it can change fonts and can use unicode text (especially for East Asian language, the translation choices will be expand.
? I saw enemies jump a little bit (It's looks like it skip a short distance) on some curves on some maps. Is that a problem?

Thanks for your remarks. Indeed, there're just a few enemies, but I think it adds to the simplicity of the game, which I think is a good thing. You don't have to "learn" the types of enemies that exist, and can focus on the game :P
The next wave button is one of those things that is added later. Initially the game was about surviving as long as you can, but that turned out not to be interesting (the player always died at nearly the exact same moment), so this approach was chosen instead, and is a lot more interesting because it seems to produce quite varying map scores. The only downfall is that the waiting between waves can be boring, in case the player decides that it would be deadly to call more waves.
I already said somewhere in this topic that I didn't like the music I came up with, but couldn't come up with anything better within time. My solution was to put it default off, you can always open up a media player simultaneously with the game ;)
Random background was on the to do list, but was scrapped because of lack of time.
About languages: Game Maker only natively supports ASCII fonts, I didn't really think about other writing systems at the time, but I think that even if I did, there wouldn't have been enough time to implement something like it. It would involve a custom font for symbol's I don't even know, or a font import feature, which is I think quite hard to make.

My suggestion about the types of enemy is just to make it "Arrangeable" (except boss) because it can increase the varieties of each maps a lot (eg. Some sequence of waves can be more deadly when used too fast in some map).

Not sure, I added a bit of randomness to give it a little more variety, and I think at the end it won't matter all that much. If you feel you'd had really bad luck, you can always replay the map later on, but I have never felt like this really happened (except for bosses taking the wrong paths).

On map design

- Randomness (from enemies entry points and seperated pathways) do increase its replayability (as it shown in some maps). Be sure that it will not effect your building a lot when luck goes bad :P.
- Difficulty depend on many factors especially its time limit and score's quota. With extensive tests the difficulty should be well-tuned.

Anyway, great work!

Some maps have the wrong goal score. I replayed a lot of maps after the release and for some of them, my score got incredibly much higher than the initial score, in some maps it's possible to get three times the map score. About random paths, yes you're right, but with so many maps, I had to do lots of different things for it to not become repetitive.

Yet another game from erik that has me totaly addicted.

Can you explain some of the more obscure weapons. Some of them (the later ones) I have no idea what thy do.

Thanks :) Which do you mean by "obscure" weapons? See below for a short list ;)

I really, really love tower defense games, and for the first time its not a trial version. I would say your remake is the best version by far.

Best Tower:
Machine Gun Tower(good against strong and many enemies, and don't forget cheap)

Worst Tower:
Love/heart Tower(still don't know what it does)

Tower Defense = Hours Of Fun

Thanks :D I also love tower defense games, that's why I made one and wanted it to be fun and not too short. I think you're right about the minigun tower - after hours of balancing I indeed think it's a bit overpowered. For the heal tower (or heart as you say), see below :medieval:

What does the heal tower do? I have no idea...

The wire tower shoots to all other wire towers in range, that's why you should always have at least two of them. Same holds for laser tower (not to be confused with light tower).
Heal tower heals your buildings.
Time tower slows down enemies in range (barely noticeable in low levels but very useful when upgraded a few times)
Money tower gives you money for every kill within its range
Dedication tower aims at one enemy until the enemy is dead or reaches the end of a path
Stinger tower shoots things that do gradual damage for a short period and multiply if they happen to kill an enemy.
For most other towers it should be clear how they work whenever you see them shooting.

Anyhow, thanks everyone for your replies. One final thing, if you happen to know a language that is not in the game (preferably, if it is your native language) and the language can be written with ASCII characters only, if you want you can translate the game. If you're interested, PM me and I'll give you a list of every phrase in the game.

#40 SunnyKatt

SunnyKatt

Code Drama

• Sandbox Moderators
  • 704 posts

Posted 12 October 2008 - 06:31 PM

Is this lagging like crazy for other people? I recently was messing around with surfaces on my videocard, and now when I play ad nauseam 2 the blurs go twisting off to the one side of the screen.
This game has a 5 or so fps (told to me by fraps). It is unplayable. I can run crysis on my pc, so I doubt it is the requirements. Do you think it is the surface thing, and if so, what can I do to fix it?

newsigp.png

Computer Science / Indie Game Dev. Check my site by clicking above. New game won't be announced for a while; sit tight.

#41 rinkuhero

rinkuhero

Paul Eres

• GMC Member
  • 1919 posts

Posted 12 October 2008 - 06:39 PM

Is this lagging like crazy for other people? I recently was messing around with surfaces on my videocard, and now when I play ad nauseam 2 the blurs go twisting off to the one side of the screen.
This game has a 5 or so fps (told to me by fraps). It is unplayable. I can run crysis on my pc, so I doubt it is the requirements. Do you think it is the surface thing, and if so, what can I do to fix it?

The best I can suggest is to update your video card driver.

#42 SunnyKatt

SunnyKatt

Code Drama

• Sandbox Moderators
  • 704 posts

Posted 12 October 2008 - 11:44 PM

My drivers are already up to date. Anyway, it magically stopped lagging. It's a fun game.

newsigp.png

Computer Science / Indie Game Dev. Check my site by clicking above. New game won't be announced for a while; sit tight.

#43 icuurd12b42

icuurd12b42

Self Formed Sentient

• GMC Elder
  • 18181 posts

Posted 13 October 2008 - 12:05 AM

My drivers are already up to date. Anyway, it magically stopped lagging. It's a fun game.

Yeah, it does go down often as it's using surfaces and <possibly> not always freeing them... Or your pc is like mine with unexpected drops of fps when <properly> using surfaces after 15-30 minutes.

gmcbanner.pnggmcbanner_tools.png

ICU Live Tutoring Through Slack or Skype | My Tools Page follow.png

I FRANTICALLY MADE MY 18000 POST TOPIC BEFORE MIKE ANNOUNCED A DELAY...
Now I'm squirming not to hit that reply button

#44 Murska

Murska

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 323 posts

Posted 16 October 2008 - 06:35 PM

Nice game! (IM ADDICTED!! :) )

This game has a very professional touch. Graphics fit the game too. Some levels need some balancing though. You can get 10x score than the required with money towers, heal towers, time towers and nail towers. For example my score at lvl94 is 2483/180 or at lvl60 2434/700. Some levels are too hard also. Mainly because the enemy routes are asymmetrical. If the boss takes the short way you wont get the bonus -> no chance to high scores.

sounds 8/10
graphics 9/10
playability 9/10
OVERALL 9/10

NICE WORK!

btw. the game crashed once. "Error: trying to draw non-existent surface" if I remember correctly. This happened when there was hudreds of wave 100+ monsters in the field... so probably its nothing serious.

flow_banner.png

#45 Abyssal_Nuclei

Abyssal_Nuclei

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1695 posts

Posted 17 October 2008 - 06:20 AM

I enjoyed playing this game. I'd say it is the best tower defense game that I've played.

~Abyss
America needs fewer laws, not more prisons.

The Ideal is attainable; We, as America, need to stop settling.

Our God is an awesome God!

#46 9_6

9_6

• GMC Member
  • 3627 posts

Posted 02 February 2009 - 10:20 PM

Holy hell this game is heroine.
I just played it for 6 hours straight... and still didn't beat it.
Quite amazing for something so simple.

#47 Manuel777

Manuel777

InvaderGames

• GMC Member
  • 3578 posts

Posted 03 February 2009 - 12:33 AM

Holy hell this game is heroine.

Well, at first i thought it was weed.. but heroine is a much better example :D

I played when it won the competition, i still play it very often, its an exellent time killer

@MEtchegaray7

gplussignature.png

May this signature be frozen on the old GMC until the end of times. Or YoYo takes it down.

#48 Hardly

Hardly

GMC Member

• 40 posts

Posted 19 February 2009 - 08:34 PM

'Best of the best' as a tower-defense game.

#49 Alert Games

Alert Games

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1119 posts
  • Version:GM8

Posted 24 February 2009 - 01:25 AM

pretty good tower defense game. kept me playing for a while. it takes a long time to play through the many levels it has, and it is fun and addicting. nice game to try out.

havent played it in a while tho...

#50 aapo

aapo

GMC Member

• 1 posts

Posted 02 March 2009 - 10:44 AM

Just got to the end of the campaign. Great game. Last tower has a "fault" which causes my computer to become extremely unresponsive, though. When critter has been killed, the bullet spawns many others, so that when there's many critters on the screen, the calculations increase exponentially. I suggest capping the number of spawning bullets and balance damage that way, so that the game wouldn't become unresponsive.