#1 TerraFriedSheep

TerraFriedSheep

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 3273 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 20 August 2008 - 08:42 PM

Game Info

Blob Balls is a puzzle game that tests your forward thinking as you use teamwork to position your Blobs in order to get balls into their sockets to advance through the levels.

This also happens to be my first completed game. Of course feedback is always appreciated, and needed to improve my GM ability. When I first released it, I was very rushed for time so havn't had a chance to do the topic properly, but here we go.

Its worth noting that all the levels are possible aslong as your blobs are positioned correctly. Theres no miraculous skill needed, just clear thinking logic. Its one of those "It's easy when you know how". But till then, you can find yourself submerged in some frustration =)

Game Link

http://www.sandbox.y...9529-blob-balls

(Play Now or Download)

Controls
Left & Right: Move
Up: Jump
Down: Duck
X & Y: Change Blob

Screenshots

level10wi5.jpg
screenshot1eq7.jpg
level5bk0.jpg

Credits
SuperJoeBob
Kimokeo
Zer0mus

Edit: Updated game link.

Edited by TerraFriedSheep, 12 November 2013 - 11:41 PM.

#2 SunnyKatt

SunnyKatt

Code Drama

• Sandbox Moderators
  • 704 posts

Posted 20 August 2008 - 08:53 PM

I suggest you don't use that background, because that is a high-contrast gradient which is hard on the eyes, and square gradients generally don't look good. Just some advice. ;)

newsigp.png

Computer Science / Indie Game Dev. Check my site by clicking above. New game won't be announced for a while; sit tight.

#3 Ampersand

Ampersand

Greatest boolean of all

• 796 posts

Posted 21 August 2008 - 01:28 AM

It looks really good, and I'd like to try it.

But some people, like me, can't use the Instant Play Plugin.

If you could, please upload to somewhere like WHFF, and I'll be glad to play and rate it.

---Ampersand

Posted Image
(0.1.6)

#4 TerraFriedSheep

TerraFriedSheep

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 3273 posts

Posted 26 August 2008 - 02:23 PM

Sorry I couldn'y upload a download link, when I uploaded this I was at timed internet and had very little time left, and that why I couldn't post too much detail either. Unfortuantly I am still at an internet cafe so can't upload still. I will upload a download link when I am home, but it is available for download at the YoYo games site.

#5 TerraFriedSheep

TerraFriedSheep

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 3273 posts

Posted 03 September 2008 - 09:56 PM

I have finally got around to having the time to update the topic. Added the usual stuff. Please give my game a try and let me know what you think!

#6 osl

osl

GMC Member

• 143 posts

Posted 07 September 2008 - 09:28 AM

Cool! Graphics are ok... Nice gameplay, and the sounds are good. A good thing you've added is a level select! But the interface is confusing and there is no story. Also, the concept seems the same as about 20 other comp entries... to get to the goal jump on peoples heads. I expect this to do well, but it isn't perfect and more could be done. 6/10

#7 Pwned

Pwned

GMC Member

• 106 posts

Posted 11 October 2008 - 01:53 AM

Pretty good game.
Just seemed kind of bland IMO

#8 Bob the science nut

Bob the science nut

GMC Member

• 520 posts

Posted 24 October 2008 - 04:09 PM

I want to play it, but i can't use the plugin on yo yo games. I'll keep checking back and post again.
>I am a fundamental Bible believing born again Baptist, and my name is BOB get used to it!!!!!!
<<Copy this into your sig if you don't worship Mary mother of Jesus, (blessed AMONGST women, and not above) but do worship Jesus Christ>>
>put this in your sig if you are a christian!!! KJV only
Need buttons, or logos?Go here. Excellent site I never ask for buttons any more.
Evolution??? YEAH RIGHT! READ MY PAPER BEFORE DECIDING
need any help getting started on GM? Learning Drag and drop but can't figure it out?
My tutorial can help.
Lost armadillo Patrol... Helping N00BS with embarrassments EST. 1998
I survived thebutton, can you too?

#9 TerraFriedSheep

TerraFriedSheep

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 3273 posts

Posted 24 October 2008 - 10:42 PM

I want to play it, but i can't use the plugin on yo yo games. I'll keep checking back and post again.

Ok thanks for the interest, I have uploaded a download mirror now so you can download the game =)

Heres the link:
Blob Balls Download

Thanks for all the other comments everyone :GM7:

#10 EasyBeak

EasyBeak

GMC Member

• 87 posts

Posted 25 October 2008 - 05:01 AM

Its a fair game with some nicely designed puzzles. I think you could have done a bit more with the graphics though.

#11 Andrew Brophy

Andrew Brophy

Andrew Brophy

• GMC Member
  • 668 posts
  • Version:None

Posted 23 November 2008 - 06:05 AM

I'm a pretty big fan of the whole puzzle/platform genre, so I usually have a pretty high standard on them. This is an alright game. Perhaps if you changed the graphics (complete gradients are not the way to go) and also made it so that you just go to the next level instead of the main menu when you finish a puzzle, this could be pretty fun.

#12 TerraFriedSheep

TerraFriedSheep

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 3273 posts

Posted 11 January 2009 - 06:04 PM

I'm a pretty big fan of the whole puzzle/platform genre, so I usually have a pretty high standard on them. This is an alright game. Perhaps if you changed the graphics (complete gradients are not the way to go) and also made it so that you just go to the next level instead of the main menu when you finish a puzzle, this could be pretty fun.

Thanks for playing! It seems people would rather it went to the next level than the main menu, I guess while I was making it (seems ages ago now) that I did that so you could see the time you completed it in and see if you beat your record etc.

#13 TerraFriedSheep

TerraFriedSheep

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 3273 posts

Posted 12 December 2009 - 07:52 PM

I've just updated the game file on YoYoGames with the following improvements:

-Improved gravity code.
-Improved solid collisions.
-Improved movement code.
-Improved the sprite of a ducked blob.
-Re-sized some player sprites that were 1 pixel out.
-Blobs graphic improved (credit to damster25).
-Time is now drawn mm:ss.
-You now go straight to the next level after completing a level instead of returning to the main menu.
-Pressing 'M' on the 'Main Menu', 'How to Play' and 'Credits' now stops/starts the music.
-Updated 'How to Play' and 'Credits' graphics.

I decided that with my GM improvements over the year and a few months since I made this it would be a smoother game-play experiance to just improve these few points, it's much nicer to play now, the main point really that "you now go straight to the next level after completing a level", I hadn't realised at the time that the way it was before really took something away from the game, anyway thats gone so it's all good now :mellow:

#14 TerraFriedSheep

TerraFriedSheep

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 3273 posts

Posted 28 April 2010 - 12:13 PM

A fair amount of people have been getting stuck on level 4, so to give you an idea of how the game works I have uploaded a walkthrough of the level on youtube.

Click here for level 4 walkthrough video.

#15 Pinpickle

Pinpickle

Abscure Programmer

• GMC Member
  • 1353 posts

Posted 01 May 2010 - 07:32 AM

The Yoyogames link only lets you instant play, which is a problem for people like me who can't install the addon.

Posted Image
Posted Image