• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 EliteBeatAgent

EliteBeatAgent

GMC Member

• 115 posts

Posted 03 August 2008 - 04:09 PM

Posted Image

A shmup with interesting mechanics and art. The gameplay mechanics came from my interpretation of the systems in Shienryu Explosion, with Light and Heavy fire affecting scoring and enemy destruction.
The graphics are inspired, to some extent, by comics and graffiti. This demo includes a menu, a few popcorn enemies and a weak boss-type thing.

Posted Image
Menu Screen
Player Death

Download Mural_DEMO.zip
Made with Version 5, No screen change, etc...

Arrow Keys - Move Ship
Z - Light Fire
X - Heavy Fire

Heavy fire does more damage, meaning you can destroy enemies quicker. However, with Heavy fire held down, you cannot score apart from coins. To collect the 10 point boxes, you have to be not firing or firing Light ammunition. There's some other stuff as well, but I can't really be bothered to explain all the mechanics.

#2 Aedous

Aedous

GMC Member

• 236 posts

Posted 03 August 2008 - 07:01 PM

Hmm.. ill tell you something. i like the style of the game.. simple but effective.. however theres a few things you need to change, the enemies are too overpowered, your primary fire takes about 10 shots for you to kill one and before that youve already been hit in the face by his friend flying right behind him :/.
You also need to change that ship that flys back and forward.. because if you dont kill it in time.. and you still have lives left its pretty much gameover because it just flies from right to left and hitting you just before you respawn.

Still some things you need to work on.. to be honest i got fustrated and turned it off lol. But work on it.. im not a fan of shmups but i can appreciate a good game when i see one, so take some time to work on the bugs and gameplay and give the player a fair challenge :mellow:.

#3 jakman4242

jakman4242

Vertical Shmup Junkie

• 3222 posts

Posted 04 August 2008 - 02:40 AM

I DID NOT like this game.

-the friction was too low
-the enemies moves way too fast
-the enemies had way too much health
-you died way too easily
-<Escape> didn't close the game -- That's a no-no!(Or take you back to the title screen, for that matter)
-The background looks too "In Your Face". I was actually dodging those blue lines for quite a while.
-- My blog. --

#4 Dr. Slouch

Dr. Slouch

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 30 posts

Posted 04 August 2008 - 05:13 AM

Although I like the graffiti-inspired art in some places (mostly the fonts), there are some gameplay issues. Most of them were covered by jakman4242. I'm pretty annoyed by how easy it is to die, and then die again immediately after respawning.