Fedora Spade Episode 4: The Last Job

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#1 Orchard-L

Orchard-L

GMC Member

• 39 posts

Posted 01 August 2008 - 11:02 AM

I was planning on having Rinku editing the old Fedora Spade thread, but he's offline, so here it is, the last episode of Fedora Spade. If you've enjoyed the previous Fedora Spade games, you'll probably like this one as well. It's more of the same game with a new cast of zany characters and plenty of tomatoes.

Posted Image

Name: Fedora Spade
Category: Adventure/Detective
GM Version: GM 6
Screen: Windowed at 640x480
Controls: Z - Confirm Button, X - Cancel button, C - Skip button.

Downloads:
Episode 1-3
Episode 4 (NEW!)
Hint file for Episode 4
Fedora Spade OST

Screenshot:
Posted Image

Edited by Orchard-L, 01 August 2008 - 11:03 AM.

#2 Dr. Slouch

Dr. Slouch

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 30 posts

Posted 01 August 2008 - 07:23 PM

Okay, I've never heard of this series since I haven't browsed the GMC much, but wow, playing through episode 1 now, and this feels very professional. The graphics look like they came out of an early-mid 90's adventure game. Kinda reminiscient of Snatcher in a few ways (I think one of the sound effects I've heard so far is from that game, actually...).
The writing is pretty good, too, and the music is pleasant. Once I get to episode 4, I'll have more to say.

Edited by Dr. Slouch, 01 August 2008 - 07:23 PM.

#3 PurpleFuzzy

PurpleFuzzy

Punk Rock Princess

• 1587 posts
  • Version:GM7

Posted 01 August 2008 - 08:53 PM

I really like the style of these games. Very funny, very unique... And very tomatoey. ::lmao::
I give two thumbs up to you.

Since I'm Roger Ebert, and apparently base my ratings for games on how many thumbs I have up now.

-PF

#4 MrYano

MrYano

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 45 posts

Posted 02 August 2008 - 01:44 PM

Since I'm Roger Ebert, and apparently base my ratings for games on how many thumbs I have up now.

-PF

:lol:. Very impressive game, very professional and well thought out. Great to play a game genre/type that I haven't seen the likes of in the last few years :lol:

#5 Orchard-L

Orchard-L

GMC Member

• 39 posts

Posted 04 August 2008 - 12:49 PM

Yeah, I use the suspense chime from Snatcher for the game (I'm pretty sure that's the only one though) along with a couple of SFX from Phoenix Wright. And thanks guys, I'm glad you all enjoyed the games so far ^_^.

Here are a couple of shots from Episode 4 (taken by sciere):
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Orchard,

#6 Necromian

Necromian

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 994 posts

Posted 04 August 2008 - 07:13 PM

Oh jeez, and I still never beat the 3rd game D:
I suppose I better go get cracking on that then.

Too bad about this being the last game, I was sorta hoping for an epic saga of sorts to be made of this

Edited by Necromian, 04 August 2008 - 07:17 PM.

#7 clystron

clystron

GMC Member

• 269 posts

Posted 04 August 2008 - 09:47 PM

I wish I could keep playing until I complete all 4 episodes but there are a couple of annoyances preventing me from fully enjoying this game:
(I did manage to complete Episode 1, though)

1) To move the cursor only one step you have to give the key a very quick tap. I wish you would make it so that the player has to release the key before he can move the cursor again. Because of the way it is now I often move it too far and end up choosing the wrong option.

2) When it comes to skipping dialogues (that I've read a hundred times) there doesn't seem to be any difference between the keys Z and C. When I read that the C key "skips" I thought it would skip the whole dialogue, but it doesn't.

3) No offense, but the music is good for about 1 minute then it starts to annoy me. An option to switch off the music would be nice so I can listen to my own music while playing. I had to disable the Wave channel in Windows and listen to Midi files to achieve that ^_^

4) Personally I think an extra set of controls which enables you to play this game with one hand would be much more comfortable (especially if you're eating popcorn or whatever while playing).

Control layout suggestion: ("Skip" means to skip whole dialogues)

1) [Arrow Keys] = [Move] ---- [Z, X, C] = [Confirm, Cancel, Skip]
2) [I, J, K, L] = [Move] ---- [Space, M, N] = [Confirm, Cancel, Skip]

Since you've already released the games in the Creations forum (and since 4 episodes have been released) I don't feel good about asking you to make any changes. At least keep these things in mind next time you make this kind of games?

One last thing: You might want to put a warning in the first post that this game contains mature language, or "immature", rather. Episode 1, at least. That sounded like an insult. It's really not. I'm calling the character immature, not you.

And now, the well deserved praise.
This game looks incredibly professional.
It has very impressive graphics. Did you make them yourself?
Keep up the good work.

#8 davidp

davidp

GMC Member

• 1240 posts

Posted 04 August 2008 - 10:11 PM

Oh crap, another FEDORA game! ^_^ this is so amazing (haven't tried it yet)-judging by older stuff, this should be awesome as well. already downloading :D

#9 rinkuhero

rinkuhero

Paul Eres

• GMC Member
  • 1828 posts

Posted 05 August 2008 - 10:43 AM

Clystron: Regarding the C key, you can just hold it to quickly go through a conversation. With Z you need to wait for the text to scroll, with C you can skip a text box without having to wait for the text to scroll in, so they aren't the same thing. And, there *is* a warning about the language on the site, although there isn't one on this thread itself.

#10 Noir

Noir

GMC Member

• 590 posts

Posted 05 August 2008 - 08:07 PM

I absolutely love these games. These are great examples that graphics don't have to be cutting-edge to make awesome games (although, of course, they are very nice). Still very stuck on Number 4... you couldn't possibly do me a favour and upload the hint file as a .zip? That would be very helpful, thanks. Sorry to put you out of your way about it!

#11 Orc Leader

Orc Leader

Confused but Grateful

• 609 posts

Posted 05 August 2008 - 10:38 PM

Great game! I remember downloading episode one a while back, but I forgot about the game really. Just made it through episode one; I should start working on the next one.

#12 noober

noober

GMC Member

• 7 posts

Posted 06 August 2008 - 02:41 AM

Alright!! Fedora 4 I remember playing the older versions and having a blast.Too bad it wont work... could be due to the fact that it isn't vista compatible...

#13 rinkuhero

rinkuhero

Paul Eres

• GMC Member
  • 1828 posts

Posted 06 August 2008 - 02:52 AM

Alright!! Fedora 4 I remember playing the older versions and having a blast.Too bad it wont work... could be due to the fact that it isn't vista compatible...

http://www.yoyogames.....Windows Vista

#14 F1ak3r

F1ak3r

GMC Member

• 149 posts

Posted 06 August 2008 - 06:13 AM

EPISODE 4! Yay! I was really excited for this when I downloaded it yesterday. And so far, it's lived up to my expectations. Still on Side A, slowly working away at it as I get time.

As always, it's brilliant. Fortunately, my computer seems to have come right regarding this game (and all other GM6 games), so I won't be having the weird problems I had with Episode 3.

Playing Daphne is an interesting twist, and I really didn't expect it. Although I feel you overdid her girliness a bit, but I'm presuming that was on purpose, for humour and such.

One thing I don't understand is that, if Baldie got promoted to the main homicide unit (back in Case 2), why is he hanging around the SHU building, all worried about it closing? Or have I forgotten about something that happened in Episode 3? It's been a while since I played it.

In summary, this is a great game, and I'm sure I'll find it to be a great series conclusion. I'm be sad to see this series finished, but I'm sure you guys have plans on using the Tomato Engine for other things.

On an interesting sidenote, I recently read a very damning review of Princess Tomato In The Salad Kingdom. So well done, you've outdone what your engine was based on! =D

To anyone who hasn't played Fedora Spade: Download it NOW!

#15 Valore

Valore

GMC Member

• 6 posts

Posted 06 August 2008 - 06:24 AM

One thing I don't understand is that, if Baldie got promoted to the main homicide unit (back in Case 2), why is he hanging around the SHU building, all worried about it closing? Or have I forgotten about something that happened in Episode 3? It's been a while since I played it.

At one point in the beginning Daphne says that he was moved back to the SHU because she quit.

// Great game, I played through case 1-3 now, but I'm stuck in 4. I don't have the evidence I need for the interrogation with Coffey, and I don't know where to look now.

However, 11/10, just a perfect game!

#16 Orchard-L

Orchard-L

GMC Member

• 39 posts

Posted 06 August 2008 - 11:15 AM

Necromian, Actually... I just don't know how I can "extend" the series for long without having excessive filler episodes. I'm pretty sure this is a good point to conclude the series before it gets too tedious.

Noir, you can get the file here: http://studioeres.co.../Final/FAQ2.zip

Flaker, Baldie was moved back to SHU because Daphne left. This was mentioned when you first visited SHU in Side A. And actually, I like Princess Tomato a lot, otherwise I wouldn't have created an engine similar to the game (although admittedly the GUI leaned more towards Snatcher.) I think people probably just expect too much out of the game. It's lighthearted adventure game made to appeal to kids, and it worked for me as a kid.

Valore, hmm... which part of the interrogation? I'll need more details before I can help you. Also, Have you tried the hint file, by any chance? I think I covered just about everything there.

Edited by Orchard-L, 06 August 2008 - 11:21 AM.

#17 Noir

Noir

GMC Member

• 590 posts

Posted 06 August 2008 - 12:55 PM

Thank you very much! :P

I'm stuck on the end of EP3: anybody have any hints as to what the imposter Jules' real name is?

Edited by Noir, 06 August 2008 - 05:13 PM.

#18 Valore

Valore

GMC Member

• 6 posts

Posted 06 August 2008 - 08:43 PM

Valore, hmm... which part of the interrogation? I'll need more details before I can help you. Also, Have you tried the hint file, by any chance? I think I covered just about everything there.

It's the second time you have to show him a piece of evidence, when Daphne says
'I'm talking about a specific case in which your role is much more than just an investigator.'

I don't have a clue what she's talking about and none of the items I have helps me here.

The help file only describes what you have to do before you can meet him.

I visited every place again, but found nothing.

////////////

@ Noir

It's 4471, i thought that was pretty obvious.

Edited by Valore, 06 August 2008 - 08:44 PM.

#19 Orc Leader

Orc Leader

Confused but Grateful

• 609 posts

Posted 06 August 2008 - 11:22 PM

Phew, I just got past Case 2. That case was a lot longer than the prologue.
I hope to catch 4471 soon! >.>

Edited by Orc Leader, 06 August 2008 - 11:25 PM.

#20 Orchard-L

Orchard-L

GMC Member

• 39 posts

Posted 07 August 2008 - 10:46 AM

Valore, have you tried looking up the photographer's name in the database room once you found out about his last name? I think that's what you need to pass that part of the interrogation. Hope this helps.

#21 Noir

Noir

GMC Member

• 590 posts

Posted 07 August 2008 - 10:49 AM

@ Noir

It's 4471, i thought that was pretty obvious.

That's funny :P

The first time I typed that in nothing happened. Must have made a typo. Thanks!

#22 brod

brod

Brian RODriguez

• GMC Member
  • 2046 posts
  • Version:GM8

Posted 07 August 2008 - 06:29 PM

Thank you very much! ;)

I'm stuck on the end of EP3: anybody have any hints as to what the imposter Jules' real name is?

ehh.. name is such a vague word :D

Anyways, I'm really glad you released episode 4, a shame it's the last. I'll be sure to solve the case and post my review after.

#23 noober

noober

GMC Member

• 7 posts

Posted 07 August 2008 - 11:53 PM

Um.. i don't know if this was an error or was intended to be like that
Posted Image
As you can see it says what year and the choice is 1-12 shouldn't that be what issue instead of what year?!!

#24 brod

brod

Brian RODriguez

• GMC Member
  • 2046 posts
  • Version:GM8

Posted 08 August 2008 - 12:24 AM

lol, input a year and see what happens :D

Edited by brod, 08 August 2008 - 12:24 AM.

#25 rinkuhero

rinkuhero

Paul Eres

• GMC Member
  • 1828 posts

Posted 08 August 2008 - 12:41 AM

lol, input a year and see what happens ;)

I guess I missed that typo when proofreading it for Orchard :D

#26 F1ak3r

F1ak3r

GMC Member

• 149 posts

Posted 08 August 2008 - 08:08 PM

@Orchad-L: Ah, that must've slipped past me. Oops.

Fair enough, I see what you mean about that game. Not having played it myself, I can't really judge it, so meh.

Judging from the contents of this thread, I'm the first one to finish Episode 4. Yay!

This post contains spoilers from here on in.

The ending felt rather abrupt, and somewhat weak. Although, even though it was unsatisfying, it really did fit the mood of the game, and, even though I had expected something different, something different probably would've felt unnatural.

Also, and this is really a minor issue, but I feel that, in the sequence in which you had to answer questions about the applicants, it would've been nice to have a few synonyms (like TALL as well as HEIGHT). But that's really not a huge issue.

The odd new puzzles are fantastic. By that, I mean the really not-obvious, difficult ones, like finding Eddie's number in that book, or finding the department store's number in that other book and then phoning them to get Seamus's number.

I also love the way you mix things up with the security protocol on the trusty old database, and with Bong's newsstand closing. One thing that irritated me, however, was having to input your username and password every single time you used the computer. However, seeing as you only have to use the thing once, it's not that big of a deal.

Spoilers end here.

Something that's been on my mind, especially with this case, is text-skipping. For future Tomato Engine games, I think it'd be nice if you could use X during speech to skip entire sequences, as going over the same interrogations multiple times was annoying, to say the least.

I'd like to say that I really, really love all the small touches and extras you've put into the game. Things like extra phonecalls, Immortal Defense references, and silly interrogations.

PS: Am I right in saying that the silly, unimaginative names are a homage to Princess Tomato In The Salad Kingdom's unimaginative names? And I mean unimaginative in the kindest possible way. =D.

#27 Orchard-L

Orchard-L

GMC Member

• 39 posts

Posted 09 August 2008 - 10:51 AM

Ooops, yup, that's a mistake alright. I'll upload the newest version once I have more stuff fixed.

"The ending felt rather abrupt, and somewhat weak. Although, even though it was unsatisfying, it really did fit the mood of the game, and, even though I had expected something different, something different probably would've felt unnatural."

I actually like how I ended the game, but I understand why people felt letdown by it. I've gotten a couple of emails about it too. There are still something that I haven't really explained. Such as the reason why Tex had to do the hitjob. The earlier version of the game did have this explanation, but I ended up removing all of it. My writing skill is pretty lacking when it comes to writing emotional dialogues, so I figure I'd rather save you guys from the punishment of having read through the cheesiness :D.

"Also, and this is really a minor issue, but I feel that, in the sequence in which you had to answer questions about the applicants, it would've been nice to have a few synonyms (like TALL as well as HEIGHT). But that's really not a huge issue."

This problem's been nagging me since the beta version. The current password system can only take one answer so I had to choose the keywords carefully. Hopefully we'll be able to add alternative answers in the future to circumvent this problem.

"PS: Am I right in saying that the silly, unimaginative names are a homage to Princess Tomato In The Salad Kingdom's unimaginative names? And I mean unimaginative in the kindest possible way. =D."
Actually, this is mostly a homage to the Phoenix Wright games ("**** Gumshoe", "Wendy Oldbag", etc.)

EDIT: What the hell? Gumshoe's first name got censored? Oh well...

Edited by Orchard-L, 09 August 2008 - 10:53 AM.

#28 Necromian

Necromian

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 994 posts

Posted 19 August 2008 - 11:03 PM

whoo, finally finished case 3.
I'm starting this one now :)

#29 Noir

Noir

GMC Member

• 590 posts

Posted 20 August 2008 - 07:53 PM

Well, now I can say I've finished all three cases, and I love the whole series! What with the 8-bit graphics and the extremely awesome music, this is one of the real gems on the GMC. Very nice job, all the way through. And with Spade's juvenile sense of humour, it's very funny.

#30 rinkuhero

rinkuhero

Paul Eres

• GMC Member
  • 1828 posts

Posted 20 August 2008 - 08:27 PM

Well, now I can say I've finished all three cases, and I love the whole series! What with the 8-bit graphics and the extremely awesome music, this is one of the real gems on the GMC. Very nice job, all the way through. And with Spade's juvenile sense of humour, it's very funny.

Hm, don't you mean four cases? Well, the first one isn't very long I guess.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users