Photo

Assassin Blue (completed, Please Do Not Reply)

• Please log in to reply
226 replies to this topic

#1 banov

banov

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1172 posts
  • Version:Unknown

Posted 15 July 2008 - 06:39 AM

This game is now considered a finished work. Download links have been removed from this topic. You can comment on the game in its new Creations topic by clicking here.

Posted Image

This is a combat-heavy platforming game that follows a highly skilled assassin. There are 12 levels in total with some post-game unlockables. This game is now BETA.

:GM045:Information
Title: Assassin Blue
File Size: 9.4 MB
GM Version: GM7
Changes Screen Resolution: No

Controls are included in the game, but for posterity:
Arrow Keys: Move
Arrow Up: Jump
Z: Defend
X: Attack
C: Special
Space: Pause game, view/edit controls
All controls can be changed however you like from the pause menu.

:)Screenshots: (Click to enlarge)
Posted Image
Posted Image

:GM044:What they said:

Really awesome job Banov, this'll go down in GM History =D

Everything was amazing.
This is, without a doubt, one of the greatest Game Maker games ever.

I can proudly say that this is one of the best games on the GMC! It really is near-professional quality.

I highly recommend it!

History:
12-25-08
------------------
BETA! 12 levels finished along with post-game unlockables- Boss Rush mode and the bonus cutscene.

12-6-08
------------------
Bugfixes, as well as innumerable updates to graphical effects and the game's engine.

9-29-08
------------------
Bugfix, controls now taught via fading text

9-25-08
------------------
Minor bugfixes / tweaks

9-20-08
------------------
Levels 7, 8 and 9 added, along with chargeable special attacks, a new HUD, more stat tracking, and a ton of other small tweaks.

8-28-08
------------------
Minor bugfixes / graphical updates

8-23-08
------------------
Minor bugfixes

8-19-08
------------------
Levels 4, 5, and 6 released along with a few upgrades to the game in general such as the bonus shop.

7-19-08
------------------
Minor update, fixing some small errors and toning down the difficulty.

7-17-08
------------------
Released levels 2 and 3, as well as a ton of different other additions involving the interface, menus and gameplay.

7-15-08
-------------------
First level finished and released

:GM080:Credits:
-Banov, as in, me, for ALL sprites, animations, programming, backgrounds and writing... etc.
-Prophecy for composing the soundtrack

Misc Links:
How I Make The Levels
Playthrough of Levels 1-3
Playthrough of Levels 4-6
Playthrough of Levels 7-9
Awesome Glitch During Level 6 Betatesting
Fan-made betatesting video of the first boss fight

Edited by banov, 28 December 2008 - 06:32 PM.

#2 Bear1991

Bear1991

GMC Member

• 184 posts

Posted 16 July 2008 - 04:40 AM

Alright I played through the game and now I'll share my thoughts about it.

//PROS//

-Nice music
-Easy to pick up
-Customizable controls
-Counter system =D
-Wall Jump =0

//CONS//

-My only problems involved the ninjas.
- When I first saw a ninja, it just ran into me to attack, so...I kinda thought that was how it attacked
- Later on, when I was jumping up to the top of a building, the ninja drew its sword and started attacking... (I thought....HE HAS A SWORD!!)(I played a second time and they all beat the crap out of my with swords....maybe they knew I was typing this...heh heh...ignore this one.)

//SUGGESTIONS//

- I think it would be better if the ninjas didn't hurt you by running into you.
- Enter as a button to progress text. "V" is just weird (I know it can be changed, but still)

Tiny Bug: I landed in the air...

Posted Image

Other than that, it's a good game in my book.

#3 just one question

just one question

GMC Member

• 749 posts

Posted 16 July 2008 - 04:54 AM

This is an awesome little demo you got going here. I've always wanted to make a platformer involving an assassin. You'd have to kill the target without getting caught, and if you were - well anyway.

This was AWESOME. 10/10 Very polished, very solid.

#4 Revel

Revel

ɹǝqɯǝɯ ɔɯƃ

• GMC Member
  • 4935 posts
  • Version:GM8

Posted 16 July 2008 - 05:35 AM

Amazing! Nice hack+Slash engine you have here.

I like the graphics style too!

#5 MMORPGguy

MMORPGguy

MMORPG guy

• GMC Member
  • 2208 posts

Posted 16 July 2008 - 06:55 AM

Wow, this is impressive! It's nice to see some more story-driven games here too. My only complaints are that the particles look a little default, and when you edit the controls, you have to do them all at once. 9/10, for a WIP.
My blog.

"Let the guarantee of free speech be in every man's determination to use it, and we shall have no need of paper declarations."
- Voltairine de Cleyre

#6 Astrosapien

Astrosapien

GMC Member

• 473 posts

Posted 16 July 2008 - 03:19 PM

Very enjoyable! I also though the ninja running into you bit was wierd, but it was a fun game! The running animation on Blue was very well done and the whole fighting system was very nice and polished. I am looking forward to further updates on this game!

9/10
I am no longer available for your team. Please stop PMing me.

#7 banov

banov

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1172 posts

Posted 17 July 2008 - 12:51 AM

@bear:
Thank you for being the first to review! In my next update I'll have the ninja do a quick stabbing animation when he walks into you. Fair compromise?

@justonequestion:
Well, clearly my protagonist takes a much less subtle approach to his work ;p I'm glad you enjoyed it!

@Revel:
Thanks! I spent a lot of time on the combat.

@MMORPGGuy:
How would you suggest I do the custom controls? I thought all at once was the best way.

@Astrosapien:
Awesome! You won't be disappointed.
----------

Current Progress:
So, levels 2 and 3 are finished, including a boss fight. I'll be doing bugtesting and stuff the next day or two, make a better title menu and pause menu and stuff. I've added a couple other features, though you'll see when I put it up.

#8 THE KAPPTIN

THE KAPPTIN

El Capitano

• 2374 posts

Posted 17 July 2008 - 03:05 AM

Whenever I start a jump, it feels like he is a superhero. Make it gravity-based for sure if you want immersion. My favourite way (which works extremely well) is to set the vspeed to a certain value when you press up (-8 or whatever) and then divide it by 2 when you release up. You seem to want to limit the minimum height you can jump. If you wanted to incorporate that with my method, just put on a timer when you jump, and don't have it check the key release until that timer ends (you would want to put the key release check in step rather than using the event for it).
Don't mean to be offensive, just providing a suggestion.... and giving you every detail on how to implement it..... : P

I like how he says he will use right to run right, left to run left, up for jump, and down for down. That is something you should probably change.
The ninjas, at least at the beginning, seemed to just walk left and right and run into me rather than attacking.
The counterattack is really cool.
My character seems to have little respect for the floor. Sometimes he is just above it, sometimes below. Up to him I guess.
I get lag a lot. Not sure when it happens exactly though. I thought it might be a memory leak but then I ran around a lot in the final area and I got no lag. It might be something to do with the AI, as I *think* it happened more when there were enemies in the area.
"Deaths: 2 times" would make more sense as "Deaths: 2" (or "died: 2 times")
The combo animation looks really good. However, it makes the run animation look bad. Maybe you could beg some really good animator (on Pixeljoint or Pixelation or something) to bang out a quick run cycle for you. Or just tweak it somewhat, or maybe ask someone else if you can draw over their run cycle.

Great start, I'm sure this game will be very popular if you manage to finish it.
I literally have a degree in game development... sucka!!
"I quote myself in my signature." -THE KAPPTIN

#9 ne_Ziggy

ne_Ziggy

GMC Member

• 114 posts

Posted 17 July 2008 - 05:38 AM

Although this is just me, I would really love it if the character could fall faster and be able to short hop. It's just my style, but I love being able to short hop and attack, it makes me feel cool. :huh:

Anyways, this game is very solid as a demo! The graphics, needless to say, are amazing. The unsaturated colors really fit in well with the environment. The thing is though, the assassin is WAY too colorful to be an assassin. He's wearing such a light blue suit, and a red cape? o.O He seems like Superman. Also, the color for wall jumping... I must say, you picked a very weird choice. I suggest blue, not something that stands out as much as yellow does.

The music is repetitive, but this level is very short, so it fits. The sounds are a nice addition as well.

Looking for updates! It would be awesome if the assassin could move faster like a ninja. It feels like he's floating when he jumps.

... Yes, I drew this sig. Stop saying I stole it! D:

#10 Santris15

Santris15

GMC Member

• 90 posts

Posted 17 July 2008 - 06:45 AM

Really nice game! I look forward to its completion! I especially liked the dialog. The engine was smooth and worked extremely well. Great job!
I really don't know what I ought to put here...

#11 felpman

felpman

FelpManFilms

• GMC Member
  • 962 posts

Posted 17 July 2008 - 07:12 AM

Very cool game! The combat system on your part is very smooth, and looks great. The ninja AI needs a bit of work though.

Fun game! I can't wait for the final release :huh:
Currently working on an OpenSource Sandbox Zombie Survival Game in CrystalSpace3D

#12 banov

banov

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1172 posts

Posted 17 July 2008 - 05:15 PM

@THE KAPPTIN

Whenever I start a jump, it feels like he is a superhero. Make it gravity-based for sure if you want immersion. My favourite way (which works extremely well) is to set the vspeed to a certain value when you press up (-8 or whatever) and then divide it by 2 when you release up. You seem to want to limit the minimum height you can jump. If you wanted to incorporate that with my method, just put on a timer when you jump, and don't have it check the key release until that timer ends (you would want to put the key release check in step rather than using the event for it).
Don't mean to be offensive, just providing a suggestion.... and giving you every detail on how to implement it..... : P

There was no real goal in mind when I was doing the jump, I just gave him negative vspeed and positive gravity, and the rest worked itself. I'll try your method!

I like how he says he will use right to run right, left to run left, up for jump, and down for down. That is something you should probably change.

He says 'Down Arrow,' or at least in my version he does. So, I see no issues then.

My character seems to have little respect for the floor. Sometimes he is just above it, sometimes below. Up to him I guess.

Because I hand-drew the floors, they can go off the actual collision blocks which are invisible. I'm still perfecting the style, but I've been doing better with making good floors with more playtesting and experimentation. The next levels are looking good.

I get lag a lot. Not sure when it happens exactly though. I thought it might be a memory leak but then I ran around a lot in the final area and I got no lag. It might be something to do with the AI, as I *think* it happened more when there were enemies in the area.

The AI is extremely basic, so I doubt they're creating issues. It must have been some outside thing that made it lag.

"Deaths: 2 times" would make more sense as "Deaths: 2" (or "died: 2 times")

I'll change that, then.

The combo animation looks really good. However, it makes the run animation look bad. Maybe you could beg some really good animator (on Pixeljoint or Pixelation or something) to bang out a quick run cycle for you. Or just tweak it somewhat, or maybe ask someone else if you can draw over their run cycle.

Um, no. Others said the run animation was really good-- this may just be a matter of opinion. I really have fun animating Blue, so there's no way in hell I'm passing it off to anybody anyway. I mean, if the run animation suddenly becomes better than everything else, then I'll have to outsource all the OTHER animations too, and... it would be a mess. Let's keep it as is. =)

I'm glad you enjoyed it!

------
@ne_Ziggy

Although this is just me, I would really love it if the character could fall faster and be able to short hop. It's just my style, but I love being able to short hop and attack, it makes me feel cool. biggrin.gif

I'll work with TH KAPPTIN's method and this should be possible then. Though, you can still do a big jump and hit them on the rise... I like doing that myself.

The thing is though, the assassin is WAY too colorful to be an assassin. He's wearing such a light blue suit, and a red cape? o.O He seems like Superman.

That was on purpose! This is two character traits being played out: 1) The protagonist is a showy guy and likes to dress up in bright colors like that, 2) He's arrogant enough to think he can get away with dressing in a bright red cape despite his occupation. He's not really your average assassin-- he carries out missions by running around and killing the guards rather than avoiding them, and just makes a big show of the whole thing. And that's why we love him.

Also, the color for wall jumping... I must say, you picked a very weird choice. I suggest blue, not something that stands out as much as yellow does.

It was more as a 'starburst' kind of effect, like you see in comics. The levels will be lots of different colors as you move on-- obviously, the first few levels are "Blue," but then we'll get into different colors for the next few levels. Yellow is a nice, universally bright color. Would a yellow-tinted white be better?

Looking for updates! It would be awesome if the assassin could move faster like a ninja. It feels like he's floating when he jumps.

He is kind of floaty... I'll see how he moves with THE KAPPTIN's method. He already moves pretty fast, though! It's tough making levels for him because he can just speed right through them...

-----

@Santris and @felpman: Thanks to you two for playing, and I'm glad you both enjoyed it!

---

Progress Report:

With any luck, I'll be able to upload the next update today. I'm still working on the menus, but there are some cool things coming up. I'll work on employing THE KAPPTIN's jump method and see how that plays, and if it works I'll be sure to include it with my next update. I've also had the ninjas to a quick animation when they walk into you so that there's no confusion.

Thanks to everyone for the kind words!

#13 Alex Muncatchy

Alex Muncatchy

GMC Member

• 1168 posts

Posted 17 July 2008 - 06:54 PM

fun!
nice graphics, animations look great.
great atmosphere, solid controls.
keep up the good work.
I'm not dead.
Releasing demo soon-ish.
game 4 years in the making.

#14 banov

banov

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1172 posts

Posted 18 July 2008 - 12:34 AM

Updated!

Here's an approximate list of all the new features:
~Levels 2 and 3 finished, including a boss fight
~Pause menu
~Level Select Screen
~'Options' menu off title screen that lets you edit controls, play sounds, and clear save data
~Altered jump with heavier gravity but faster launch speed so he feels less 'floaty'
~'Targets'-- there are 5 hidden in each level, hitting them all makes you awesome.
~Improved enemy AI- no more walking into pits!
~Attack animation for enemies that walk into you
~Automatically saves/loads progress and custom controls

I... I think I covered everything. Please play, enjoy, and most importantly-- review!

EDIT:
@Alex- Thanks for playing, and I'm really glad you enjoyed it, too! I think you've played most/all of my games as WIPs and as finished games. Either you're stalking me or I'm just that good =0

Edited by banov, 18 July 2008 - 01:43 AM.

#15 doom_chicken

doom_chicken

GMC Member

• 11 posts

Posted 18 July 2008 - 06:45 PM

this is a really, really, awesome game. just keep on adding more levels, and fixing what bugs are left....
the president's AI is really, really, well done!

If you add more levels on after the fight with the president, you may want to give the president a little bit less health, and save that kind of difficulty for a final showdown. you don't want to have people quitting because they couldn't finish a level, right?

i'm eagerly awaiting updates. this is seriously one of the best GM games i've played so far!

#16 doom_chicken

doom_chicken

GMC Member

• 11 posts

Posted 18 July 2008 - 06:55 PM

also, the "cutscenes" are really well done
and i really liked the interactive cutscenes!

Edited by doom_chicken, 18 July 2008 - 07:08 PM.

#17 Rayne the Betrayer

Rayne the Betrayer

GMC Member

• 259 posts

Posted 18 July 2008 - 07:43 PM

This game is great! Im making a video of me pwning evil guards! Btw, I'll show u 1 strange thing in the video, where stuffs turn invisible...
Edit: 2 strange stuffs... btw, the video taked too much time to load up to youtube, so i'll just show a screenie...
Posted Image

Edited by Rayne the Betrayer, 18 July 2008 - 08:06 PM.

#18 Alex Muncatchy

Alex Muncatchy

GMC Member

• 1168 posts

Posted 18 July 2008 - 11:43 PM

lol.
I am not trying to "stalk" you.
I guess your stuff just appeals to me.

eh...that just sounds weird, but...you know what I mean.
I'm not dead.
Releasing demo soon-ish.

#19 banov

banov

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1172 posts

Posted 19 July 2008 - 05:38 AM

I added a little mini-update. Included is...
~Unlockable special moves. I honest to God blanked when I was wrapping up the last update, as I've had unlockable combos programmed in and was planning to unlock a new one after each boss fight. So, for those willing to beat the boss again, you'll get a new move.
~Toned down difficulty. This involved removing some enemies and making some existing ones easier (replacing some faster, sword-wielding ones with the slow kind that stab you.)
~Boss now has less HP. This should problems with a) difficulty and B) repetitiveness.
~Fixed wall jumping. I can't tell you how hard it was, but I came up with a cheap fix to minimize problems with wall jumps, which used to have problems when you fell right into corners.
~And, uh, I also added a second download mirror. I don't know why yoyogames wants to be 'Play Now' only, but it kind of stinks because I think to update it clears your save data. If anyone knows how to get a full download on there, please let me know.

As for new levels... it's going to be a while. The next step in developing this game is going to be making the LAST set of levels and final battle... then I'll go back and fill in the middle.

Edited by banov, 19 July 2008 - 05:38 AM.

#20 Flipbee9

Flipbee9

The Stinger

• 1533 posts

Posted 19 July 2008 - 12:35 PM

This is a great game for a start..
It's attack system is pretty good!!!
[Graphics]|||||
[Gameplay]|||||
[Engine]|||||
[Music]|||||
GM User Since 07

#21 Alex Muncatchy

Alex Muncatchy

GMC Member

• 1168 posts

Posted 19 July 2008 - 02:34 PM

great update.
the animations are steller, and the boss fights and such felt truly old school!

keep up the good work!
I'm not dead.
Releasing demo soon-ish.

#22 clystron

clystron

GMC Member

• 269 posts

Posted 19 July 2008 - 02:56 PM

Very nice game, banov ;)

Bugs: (Not very serious ones)

- At the "Edit Controls" menu it says "[key]: Return" (Key = Whatever the player assigns to "Pause"). But only SPACE ever works.
- To enter a door I have to press Arrow Down regardless of how I set up the controls (I use WSAD).

- After killing Mr. Riley I got this error while the game was explaining the new moves:

COMPILATION ERROR in string to be executed
Error in code at line 1:
   return /c_white

at position 8: Unexpected symbol in expression.

This game is looking great.

#23 fawful

fawful

dear leader

• GMC Member
  • 1321 posts
  • Version:GM8

Posted 19 July 2008 - 03:49 PM

Im loving the art style and gameplay is brilliant.Not so sure about the backgrounds though.Keep working on it,im looking forward to the final release!

FABULOUS

#24 Alex Muncatchy

Alex Muncatchy

GMC Member

• 1168 posts

Posted 19 July 2008 - 07:12 PM

I agree with Fawful.
it could use some "eye candy" in both the background and foreground.
I'm not dead.
Releasing demo soon-ish.

#25 jarcon

jarcon

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 976 posts

Posted 19 July 2008 - 10:02 PM

Hey, banov. I really loved your previous game, Wolf, and am going to finally try this one out. I'm sure its great! I'll edit when I'm done.
Edit:
Ok, banov, as I thought, I was impressed. Assassin Blue is well named, might I add? Alright, I'll dish out a review.
Graphics: 8.5/10 The graphics are great. The animations are really cool and well done. The sprites are in a cool style, kind of cartoony although not really. I was impressed, although there was one thing that bumped down the score. I don't know if you did it on purpose, but the backgrounds look a little wierd. They have an interesting style, windows are curved, wierdly placed, etc. They look neat, but a bit messy.
Sound: 10/10 I love the music. Its got a good beat to it, the other instruments go well with it. It has a good rhythm, and it also is appealing to listen to.
Story: 8/10 Now, story is a little awkward to rate because this is a WIP, and not a whole lot of the story has been revealed. But from what I could tell, you have something good going on there. Its interesting, and it has a good basis to it.
Gameplay: 10/10 Oh my god, the gameplay. I will proudly admit that the bossfight made my heart beat very fast, after failing twice while fighting. The controls are configured greatly. I really thought the wall jumping was a cool concept, good job with that. But the heart beat thing... You can tell a game is good when you're nervous during a boss fight. You can tell you're really into the game, and have lost your consciousness in the depth of the gameplay. The fighting was intense, hard, but not too hard for me to give up. I was too hooked to give in.
Overall: 9/10
Great job so far, I can tell this will be a topic I'll be following until the release in the Creations Forum.
-Jarcon

Edited by jarcon, 19 July 2008 - 10:33 PM.

#26 banov

banov

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1172 posts

Posted 20 July 2008 - 03:48 PM

@Flipbee: Thanks!

@Muncachy: Thanks to you too! I never realized by game was 'old school,' but then a friend played and said it really felt that way. I guess that's just my gaming influence manifesting in my own games. I did take inspiration from a LOT of different games, though.

@clystron:

- At the "Edit Controls" menu it says "[key]: Return" (Key = Whatever the player assigns to "Pause"). But only SPACE ever works.

Fixed!

- To enter a door I have to press Arrow Down regardless of how I set up the controls (I use WSAD).

Fixed!

- After killing Mr. Riley I got this error while the game was explaining the new moves:

COMPILATION ERROR in string to be executed
Error in code at line 1:
   return /c_white

at position 8: Unexpected symbol in expression.

Fixed!

And uploaded. So those bugs are now gone.

@fawful and Muncatchy: Down the road, I'll go back and add some more stuff in the backgrounds. I can see where you'd think they were a bit plain.

@jarcon: Wow! I do remember you reviewed Wolf, too... I'm glad you enjoyed my newest project. Really. About the story-- don't worry. In all honesty, this level serves largely as a prologue to the actual story.

-----
Progress Update:
I haven't done much level design yet, rather, I've been doing lots of tweaking and stuff lately. When I started putting together the last levels, I realized the game really needs some more platforming mechanics so that the later levels can have more varied design. So if anybody has any ideas for something cool, don't be afraid to mention it.

Most recently, I finished making a 'ceiling hang' mechanic; If you hold the jump button near vines/etc on the ceiling, Blue grabs onto them and hangs from it, and you can climb along the ceiling with the other arrow keys.

EDIT:
Here's a shot of it being used in a test room:
Posted Image

Edited by banov, 20 July 2008 - 06:27 PM.

#27 Taxa

Taxa

GMC Member

• 214 posts

Posted 20 July 2008 - 04:35 PM

Good game. I like the style, and i like the fighting animations. I really love the addition to the boss level where it says "Jump", "attack" its really excellent.

#28 jarcon

jarcon

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 976 posts

Posted 20 July 2008 - 06:18 PM

That sounds like a cool feature(the grabbing on and climbing). I look forward to seeing it. If I have any ideas I'll be sure to mention them.

#29 doom_chicken

doom_chicken

GMC Member

• 11 posts

Posted 21 July 2008 - 12:33 AM

the ceiling hang thing looks awesome! i hope there's some other neat stuff like that.
i haven't tested this -- i thought it up but i'm not a good enough programmer to actually make it, but....
perhaps you could make it so that wall jumps could be used for more than to climb parallel walls and such. perhaps add it a bit more into combat and gameplay? like making a puzzle (or and extra) where you need to jump off a parallel wall to get the momentum to bash through something? or perhaps making you able to do some kind of a lunge attack, where you hold the attack button in midair after a wall jump, and land on a platform soon after, do an aggressive lunge that could damage enemies etc.

anyway, this is just an idea. i'm not sure how well it would work, but...

as an afterthought, why not make it so that you need to have good timing to execute it? that would probably work better....

Edited by doom_chicken, 21 July 2008 - 05:01 PM.

#30 banov

banov

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1172 posts

Posted 21 July 2008 - 05:42 PM

@Taxa: Thank you! The interactive cutscenes were kind of a spur-of-the-moment idea, but they were easy to do with a huge payoff. I'm glad they were entertaining!

@jarcon: Awesome, thank you.

@doom_chicken: Well... I think I see what you're saying, but I'd rather not. I don't want to add too extreme a new way for him to interact with the existing basic blocks, because the early levels are going to be unchanged design-wise. I'm looking for a new 'type' of object with which he can interact... like, ceiling grates.

Having said that, I just thought of swinging ropes and those would be really cool-- but it sounds really difficult to do. I'm going to take a crack at it, but if anybody knows any examples of how, then please, please post 'em.

#31 White Mist Games

White Mist Games

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 124 posts

Posted 22 July 2008 - 01:28 AM

Great game! Loved every minute of it.
This gave me great feelings of nostalgia, like playing an old Castlevania game.

I like how you push the player to explore to get those bonus targets, though it would be helpful to add some incentive to collect them.
The boss fight was quite good. The strategy you have in your combat is well-balanced. The blocking, breaking, and slicing are well-animated and allow me to formulate my own strategies to beat enemies.

The experience is slightly linear so far, but I hope you will put in opportunities to explore.

On the topic of including more moves, hanging from ropes and climbing on poles would be a great addition. Some rudimentary puzzles would also work well and balance out the combination of combat and platforming you already have.

Looking forward to your next demo!

Edited by White Mist Games, 22 July 2008 - 01:29 AM.

Dash, a Unique Linear/Exploration Hybrid Platformer
Links to Dash: Yoyogames GMC

Made for the Indie Game Challenge

Last Update: v1.0 October 28, 2009

#32 doom_chicken

doom_chicken

GMC Member

• 11 posts

Posted 22 July 2008 - 02:25 AM

i actually came up with that idea for a different game that i won't be able to make, so it's fine you don't use it. if i think of anything else (within that criteria) i'll keep you posted (no pun intended), but whatever.

along with what white mist games was saying, maybe as well as add more moves for interacting with the environment (like climbing) perhaps you'd want to add more objects that would do their own thing, and integrate that into puzzles? like keys to unlock things, and slashing ropes to make things fall, etc.

feel free to reject all of the above. i'm just trying to add to discussion, and stop things from going in circles....

Edited by doom_chicken, 22 July 2008 - 02:25 AM.

#33 madcow12

madcow12

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 123 posts

Posted 22 July 2008 - 05:33 AM

this game is great, I couldn't stop playing it until i had beaten the boss. I hope you make this game have an interesting plot, becuase i love what i've seen so far.
if you need someone for the storyboard, I'm on it!

Other than that, i loved the dialouge, the smooth sword attacks, and the rhythm of the game. You chose your music well, and it fits.
One of the best games i've played for a long time, 10/10
Chocolate Space!

'To bad! We are learning about pigeons! The Pigeons of Stalingrad in particular..."
-Prof. Brachov

#34 DarkFlame

DarkFlame

GMB Member...wtf?

• GMC Member
  • 2167 posts

Posted 22 July 2008 - 06:21 AM

9/10

his head unfortunatly changed shape and size,...and also people seemed to teleport a small ways when struck,...maybe add some image blur there,...and make the view move smoother (it throws you off when you jump back (if you block an attack) and the view also jumps and everything moves)

#35 banov

banov

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1172 posts

Posted 22 July 2008 - 06:57 PM

@White_Mist:
I'll try and include some small puzzles into future levels... though I really don't want to just do simple door-and-key puzzles. I have a couple ideas...

@doom_chicken: No, you're on the right track with those couple of ideas. I plan to make use of both.

@madcow: Thanks for the offer, but I've already got the entire plot in my noggin. The writing is one of my favorite aspects of making the game... nobody's taking that from me!

@Darkflame: Motion blur sounds like a good idea, though I've never done it before. I'll look into some examples and see if I can make it happen; though, you weren't really clear on whether or not you enjoyed it otherwise.

Progress Report:
So, since I'm not doing the final levels yet, I've instead been working on level 4. It's about halfway finished so far. Here's a screenshot...
Posted Image
Also featuring the new ceiling hang mechanic.

#36 jarcon

jarcon

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 976 posts

Posted 22 July 2008 - 07:25 PM

That's looking good, banov. Can't wait for the next release.
If you're wanting to look into image blurring, I'm sure there are plenty of examples/tutorials you could find on google.

#37 madcow12

madcow12

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 123 posts

Posted 22 July 2008 - 11:11 PM

cool! yeah, awesome plots seem to be speciality of yours!
I'm looking forawrd to the next release!
Chocolate Space!

'To bad! We are learning about pigeons! The Pigeons of Stalingrad in particular..."
-Prof. Brachov

#38 banov

banov

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1172 posts

Posted 23 July 2008 - 05:20 AM

Alright, so, I did some brainstorming on the game and its direction. I have a couple of ideas about how I'd like to proceed.

Concerning puzzles... I decided that rather than incorporate them into normal gameplay, what I'll do is use them as a gimmick for a specific level or two-- one level might be a more open-exploration area where you have to locate a handful of keys to open a big door in the middle, and proceed to the next level or something. Simple puzzles that freshen the experience.

More complex puzzles-- like cutting ropes and stuff-- would be virtually impossible because the graphical style. Hardly anything is a sprite-- almost everything you see in the game is just one big image drawn by me in photoshop by hand. I can't, then, animate a rope being cut, nor can I come up with a reasonable time to include a puzzle so involving. If I try too hard to make brain-twisting puzzles, then the game will lose focus by trying to do too many things at the same time. It's already a platformer with a deep combat system, and I want to keep those the primary focus.

Instead, I have fun with placing each levels' targets in clever spots-- sometimes right in plain view, leaving the player to scratch his head and wonder, "how the hell do I get there?" I've recently finished a save system for the targets, and it shows you what targets you hit on the level select screen, so you can go back and aim to find them all-- and when I finish the game, I'll add some bonus stuff for hitting targets.

The next order of business are the platforming mechanics. The question I pose is, how much is enough? If I can take just what I have now and keep the level design varied and interesting for the remainder of the game... then do I really need more platforming gimmicks? I'd like to continue building levels with the tools I have now, and add something only if it really strikes as something that could deepen the game... rather than adding things for the sake of having as many features as I can.

And, well, that's how I feel about that.

Edited by banov, 23 July 2008 - 05:21 AM.

#39 doom_chicken

doom_chicken

GMC Member

• 11 posts

Posted 25 July 2008 - 12:29 AM

sounds great! i think you're right that it's an action platformer that focuses on it's deep combat system (awesome awesome awesome) and too much puzzling would be out of place. i also think that you're right that you don't want to have too many buttons to press and moves to string together. i think a few more things like the vine climbing thing could really enhance the experience: a bit more interactivity with the environment, and options for getting to places, without needing to remember what a s d z x c g b e t r q w y p and n do. right now it's a solid package and you can keep on adding where it's awesome, but it doesn't really need much more to be awesome, because it already is. but a few more ways to get places would move it into spectacular. so keep brainstorming, but don't panic.

an idea that i had to add on to the vine-hanging idea was: maybe have simple combat there? not real fighting, just stabbing anything hanging in the way (like a ninja, or a possum, or a ninja possum)

also maybe have really tall trees that you can climb directly up the side?

anyway, again, don't feel obliged to use these, but feel free

#40 jarcon

jarcon

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 976 posts

Posted 29 July 2008 - 11:56 PM

Hey banov, I had my brother play this game, and his first reaction was:

NINJAS DON'T ****ING DEFEND
THEY INFILTRATE

#41 WeThePuppets

WeThePuppets

TeamSkyfire

• GMC Member
  • 704 posts

Posted 30 July 2008 - 12:31 AM

It was fun until I couldn't make out where to jump anymore. Here, I'll show you:

Posted Image

See? It was after the "Man, I'm so kickass" dialogue. So, yeah. I dunno if it's my low computer specs that deleted the tiles, graphics, etc, or perhaps your error, but uh I couldn't tell where to jump. After that. But, before this "little" problem, the game was fun, except it seem that Blue didn't react to my key pressing fast enough. Again, my computer specs or your programming? But the music was nice, the graphics were neat (Loved the handdrawn environments! :)), and so, this was a pretty good game. Oh, another thing. The ninja's seem to slide more than they walked. Just thought I'd point that out.

Sokota

Suggestion: Perhaps regenerating health and healthpacks? Healthpacks in the style of your game though, so potions, etc etc.

Posted Image
Like us on Facebook | Follow us on Twitter | Watch the new Stasis Gamemodes - Riot Trailer!

#42 banov

banov

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1172 posts

Posted 30 July 2008 - 07:24 PM

an idea that i had to add on to the vine-hanging idea was: maybe have simple combat there? not real fighting, just stabbing anything hanging in the way (like a ninja, or a possum, or a ninja possum)

also maybe have really tall trees that you can climb directly up the side?

Suggestion: Perhaps regenerating health and healthpacks? Healthpacks in the style of your game though, so potions, etc etc.

Argh. All of the above quoted are things I was planning to surprise you with in the next update. Just wanted to get that out of the way first.

@doom_chicken: I'm glad you agree! You really seem to get what I'm going for here.

@jarcon: Only the good ninjas get to infiltrate. In reality the ninja market is overflowing with 'discount ninjas,' so many ninjas are forced to be kept at guard duty... fighting assassins in bright red capes. Ah, the state of ninjas these days are deplorable.

@Sokota: Yeah, I completely blame your machine on those errors. That was one of the main reasons I split up the levels into multiple rooms... when it gets too big I think some machines have a lot of trouble rendering it. The lack of response may be a combination of running it on a lower framerate, and the actual built-in space between when you press the button and when he releases the attack. In his animation he first reaches up to grab in his sword from his back, or mid-combo he'll slightly shift his position and tense up for the next swing before actually swinging his sword.

And if he's hit in one of those two or three crucial frames, that's when the counter activates.

----

Progress Update: Embarrassingly little to report. I've had a busy couple weeks, but I managed to get some work done. I went back over the old levels and added some more set work as well as some health boosts to make the game easier.

I went back over the ninja animations to try and improve them, and... well, despite multiple iterations nothing really came out right. When I gave the ninjas complex, multi-frame walkcycles they suddenly looked like competent, equal opponents to Blue, which is sort of the opposite of what they should look like. Right now their basic 2-frame shuffling give them away as simple bogeys, and make a clear contrast between Blue and his opponents. So I gave up on that and instead just started making the new enemies for the next set of levels.

Level 4 is almost completely finished, cut scenes and all, but before moving on to level 5 I need to do some more work on the engine.

I sprited his hanging kick, but still need to actually implement it and the vertical climbing is still untouched.

Edited by banov, 30 July 2008 - 07:32 PM.

#43 jarcon

jarcon

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 976 posts

Posted 30 July 2008 - 08:29 PM

Haha, alright. I'll tell him that and see what he says.

#44 Campadrenalin

Campadrenalin

GMC Member

• 59 posts

Posted 30 July 2008 - 11:28 PM

What you really need is a Key Release [up arrow] event, which divides your vspeed by 4 or something.

Very nice overall, I love the art style! Beautiful. I just wish the animation wouldn't stick up the keys (like when rapid-fire attacking Riley and then barely being able to get out of the way of his rampage). Perhaps you can see to it?

#45 doom_chicken

doom_chicken

GMC Member

• 11 posts

Posted 01 August 2008 - 03:26 AM

all sounds great! i hope to see the new update in the next while! if i have any ideas that can expose your plans i'll be sure to chip in... lol

#46 finch

finch

GMC Member

• 6 posts

Posted 18 August 2008 - 08:08 PM

this is awesome! when is the next update coming?

#47 WeThePuppets

WeThePuppets

TeamSkyfire

• GMC Member
  • 704 posts

Posted 18 August 2008 - 11:48 PM

@Sokota: Yeah, I completely blame your machine on those errors. That was one of the main reasons I split up the levels into multiple rooms... when it gets too big I think some machines have a lot of trouble rendering it. The lack of response may be a combination of running it on a lower framerate, and the actual built-in space between when you press the button and when he releases the attack. In his animation he first reaches up to grab in his sword from his back, or mid-combo he'll slightly shift his position and tense up for the next swing before actually swinging his sword.

And if he's hit in one of those two or three crucial frames, that's when the counter activates.

Yeah ok. I'm getting a new compy soon, and I will definitely try this again! It was fun while my compy could render it though! =]

Sokota

Posted Image
Like us on Facebook | Follow us on Twitter | Watch the new Stasis Gamemodes - Riot Trailer!

#48 orange08

orange08

Art Game Movement

• GMC Member
  • 2272 posts
  • Version:GM:HTML5

Posted 19 August 2008 - 12:18 AM

This game is pretty good! I liked it. The only problem was, that I couldnt beat president Riley... He was much too hard! :lol:

Anyway, keep working on this! Its off to a Great Start!

Z8vrE7W.png WRhLqHy.png
"I'm just glad Off-topic isn't being removed. Otherwise I risk actually doing something productive." -RoyTheShort

#49 banov

banov

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1172 posts

Posted 19 August 2008 - 04:29 AM

UPDATE TIME!

Mirror One:
YoYoGames
http://www.yoyogames...ames/show/44391

Mirror Two:
WillHostForFood
http://willhostforfo...ssassinBlue.zip

I'm proud to announce Assassin Blue's next major update. Levels 4, 5 and 6 are finished, including a second boss fight. Lots of gameplay tweaks, like a speedier special attack.

Difficulty's been worked on a ton, too. The first boss is slower; not only that, but his midway cutscene is now a respawn point... and it heals you! This applies also to the second boss. Normal platforming levels now have health pickups, too.

Another major update: the target system's been worked on a lot. The game now saves which targets you've hit (and displays this in the order they appear within the level, so going back to track them down is easier). You can also use the targets you've hit as currency to buy sword combos and other fun goodies. Replay value: check.

I'm probably forgetting a bunch of other things, but safe to say that if you played this game before this is the update you've been waiting for.

The download comes with an extra save file that has the first 3 levels already beaten. If you've never played before, you'd probably want to play from the beginning anyway, though. Future updates will be able to work with the older version's save files, so you better hang onto those so you don't want to start at the beginning again later!

Please give your best C&C.

#50 jarcon

jarcon

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 976 posts

Posted 19 August 2008 - 03:35 PM

Hey Banov! I've spent all morning playing Blue. =)
I found a glitch, though. the screenshot shows it all:
Posted Image