3 replies to this topic

#1 Somelauw

Somelauw

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1096 posts
  • Version:Unknown

Posted 12 July 2008 - 07:32 PM

What's the best way to implement game saves or checkpoints?

Here are some ideas:
Being able to save anywhere by pause menu. (like in Tomb Raider)
Save every new room automatically and allow on the title menu to get back at the last saved game.
Have a menu where you can choose between all levels which you already unlocked.
No savepoints (the game is too short to need those anyway)

If the answer is different for different game genre's, then I'm focussing on games for the yoyogames competition. (casual instant play games)

#2 LukeEntertainments

LukeEntertainments

GMC Member

• 189 posts

Posted 12 July 2008 - 09:12 PM

What's the best way to implement game saves or checkpoints?

Here are some ideas:
Being able to save anywhere by pause menu. (like in Tomb Raider)
Save every new room automatically and allow on the title menu to get back at the last saved game.
Have a menu where you can choose between all levels which you already unlocked.
No savepoints (the game is too short to need those anyway)

If the answer is different for different game genre's, then I'm focussing on games for the yoyogames competition. (casual instant play games)

Honestly, I hate the idea of checkpoints. You have to go running around every where looking for them, and whenever you need them they're not there.
Saving automatically is the best for platform games. That way the levels are never long enough so that if you restart it, it's not too much of a deal.
The pause menu thing is a lot of hassle, but in large games, like in a RPG it is a lot better.
I love the menu thing for puzzle games. Saving in those games is just way to hard. Same goes with racing too. Loading is always a pain with just regular saving. Then menu thing gets rid of that burden.

Your welcome,
LukeEntertainments

#3 RNXC

RNXC

GMC Member

• 10 posts

Posted 12 July 2008 - 11:59 PM

I'd say automatically ask if the player wants to save at the end of levels and then add in other savepoints in "critical" save areas...Like right before a boss fight or something.

#4 masterofhisowndomain

masterofhisowndomain

The Designer

• GMC Member
  • 3650 posts
  • Version:GM8.1

Posted 13 July 2008 - 06:15 PM

I think you've forgot to mention (I don't think this is the same as a checkpoint IMO) the save system in Dead Rising whereby you can only save in certain places within the Mall (toilets and the security room).
Also there is the, awkward, save system in New Super Mario Bros. where you could only save if you had earned 3 coins and could purchase a new mushroom save point.

Well in order to answer your question of what save system would be best for you, you have to consider difficulty, accessibility ad other factors; you might want to have the lack of infinite saves because it means the player has to avoid making mistakes; when there are infinite saves at any point, the player doesn't really feel any consequences, since they can always revert back to their last save. Also, another issue with the saving at any point is that the player might save it in a situation from which it is impossible to escape (whilst falling down a ledge or in an escapable room etc.), so you'd have to add a 'Restart Room' feature to be safe. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users