• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Homeroe

Homeroe

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 59 posts

Posted 10 July 2008 - 11:57 PM

Hello there, GMCommunity. I want some honest comments about this.

Name: Homeroe's Land (Yeah, im not good at names)
Genre/Category: Patforming
Download Size: 2.3 MB
Game File-Type: Stand-Alone Executable
Resolution: No Change, Windowed or fullscreen (F4)
Current Version: v2.0
Written In: :D

Game Description

This a simple yet entretaining platforming game, where you need to go trought 7Levels. Try to recollect as many as possible Gems. They will be useful at some point of the game. I didn't had any intention of making a serious patforming game, it was just a "Test" i made to myself to see how hard is to make an "Acceptable" game like this. (There are too many bad ones on the Yoyo games site :D )

Controls

Move: Arrow Keys
Jump: Up arrow key
Heal: Space
Restart Level: "1" Keynumber

Features

- Clean and simple Platforming.
- 4 Unlockeable "Badges". Those provide a little change in the way the character is played.
- 2 Leves of difficulty and an unlockeable one.
- 10 Leveles, with a mid-boss and an ultimate boss. (P.S: The bosses are actually a joke. You'll get it if you know what a youtube poop is)
- 3 Secret levels for you to find out.
- Saving/Loading
- Level editor. Save and load custom levels for anyone to play. If you have any badges earned, then you can use them here too.

In-Game Screenshots

Posted Image

Play

Download:
*New exe*
http://www.box.net/shared/gm4ny8iv6h (1/03/2010)

*Old exe*
http://www.box.net/shared/g40axm6rcs (10/07/2008)

Bugs

None, for now. Please, post any bug you may find.

Copyright

Nintendo - For the backgrounds and the music.
Chumbucket - For the awesome Platform Character Outline
Me - :D

Edited by Homeroe, 03 March 2010 - 05:20 AM.

My games:

#2 just one question

just one question

GMC Member

• 749 posts

Posted 11 July 2008 - 05:06 AM

I'm the first to reply.

The engine was smooth, some graphics were good, others were really basic.

I made it to level 4, and the one thing I can complain about is that I cannot use Esc or the Close Button to quit. Most games that disable this atleast make Esc go back to the main menu. I had to ctrl alt delete/end process for this.

7/10 cause exitting was annoying.

#3 DarkFlame

DarkFlame

GMB Member...wtf?

• GMC Member
  • 2167 posts

Posted 11 July 2008 - 06:20 AM

Someone used that character maker i saw a while ago,...im surprised!

The movement engine was good,...except i prefer to stop as soon as i release a key.

The game was very 'Mario' and the levels where well thought out.

7/10

Edited by DarkFlame, 11 July 2008 - 06:29 AM.

#4 THE KAPPTIN

THE KAPPTIN

El Capitano

• 2374 posts

Posted 11 July 2008 - 10:08 PM

No idea how it happened, but after a little while (near the beginning of the first level) the up key suddenly didn't make me jump anymore. Also, pressing the (1) key doesn't seem to make it restart (or is that only when you die? if it is... you should make it restart you on its own).

The way you super-abruptly stop moving up when you release the up key looks really weird. My way, which I find to be simple and elegant, is:
-Set the vspeed when you jump
-Divide the vspeed by 2 when you release up.
It doesn't sound like it should work, but it's beautiful. And if you don't like dividing by 2, you can always tweak that anyway.

The movement feels "slippery". Not sure what it is. Maybe the character should just stop faster on landing. It's just really touchy and often very hard to jump onto a platform and stay there.

The engine is pretty smooth overall, I think with a few tweaks it could be very good.
I literally have a degree in game development... sucka!!
"I quote myself in my signature." -THE KAPPTIN

#5 Homeroe

Homeroe

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 59 posts

Posted 12 July 2008 - 12:08 AM

Thankyou for the opinion guys :GM071:

I made it to level 4, and the one thing I can complain about is that I cannot use Esc or the Close Button to quit. Most games that disable this atleast make Esc go back to the main menu. I had to ctrl alt delete/end process for this.

Actually you can go back to the main menu with ESC. Unless you're dead, you can press ESC at at anytime

The way you super-abruptly stop moving up when you release the up key looks really weird. My way, which I find to be simple and elegant, is:
-Set the vspeed when you jump
-Divide the vspeed by 2 when you release up.
It doesn't sound like it should work, but it's beautiful. And if you don't like dividing by 2, you can always tweak that anyway.

Thankyou for the tip. Already implemeted it, and it works like charm. :GM031:

The movement feels "slippery". Not sure what it is. Maybe the character should just stop faster on landing. It's just really touchy and often very hard to jump onto a platform and stay there.

Well, I went for a more natural feel. Nobody stops right abruptly when running, right?
My games:

#6 THE KAPPTIN

THE KAPPTIN

El Capitano

• 2374 posts

Posted 12 July 2008 - 12:49 AM

Well, I went for a more natural feel. Nobody stops right abruptly when running, right?

No, but doing it this way in the game still feels wrong to me. If you want to compare it to reality, maybe it's because in reality you're more in control - you know when you're going to want to stop, so you start slowing down in advance. The way you have to compensate for it in the game doesn't feel like the way you might compensate for it in reality, so I'm going to say that leaving the sliding in does not enhance the realism.

Maybe you should ignore all that stuff I just said. Just make the first level easier (when you make a full-sized game) - don't put in any small platforms. That way players can get used to the sliding in an environment where it won't make them lose and cause frustration.
I literally have a degree in game development... sucka!!
"I quote myself in my signature." -THE KAPPTIN

#7 Homeroe

Homeroe

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 59 posts

Posted 03 March 2010 - 04:58 AM

I was cleaning my pc some days ago, and found this game around some hidden folders covered in dust. Gladly there was the .gmk file right there and took a look into it.

Holy men, its been 1 years since i made my first GM game, and now that i look at the source, the code is a complete mess, and having nothing better to do and with some nostalgia on my side, i decided to clean up the game, improve the resource handling now using alot less than before and added some stuff around. Turned out pretty well i may say B-)

I added the link to the new exe and kept the old one just for a comparasion. feel free to play and comment about it.
My games:

#8 Zeddy

Zeddy

Totally Radical Dude

• GMC Member
  • 1891 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 03 March 2010 - 11:17 PM

Not sure this is as "cleaned up" as you believe. This met me right before the title screen:

for object obj_win_main:

Error defining an external function.

Ignoring it works for now but you might wanna do something about that. I'm going to play through this and edit with my thoughts.

-This isn't bad. The game flows smoothly, the graphics are pretty and the effect of picking up gems is exactly as it should be. The sound and sparkly effects are just right. I'm not a fan of using GM's built-in show_message for anything other than debugging, though. Switching to the mouse while playing a gamepad-controlled game is always awkward.

Edited by zeddidragon, 03 March 2010 - 11:28 PM.

#gmc - The totally awesome GMC IRC
Radical — NeaPunch.gif - PsychoPow.gif - DuoShip.png - stefanWalkAndTalk.gif - katiecat.png — Creations
Radical — The Consuming Shadow - Sienna - Turnabout Substitution - Ben There, Dan That — Recommendations

#9 Homeroe

Homeroe

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 59 posts

Posted 04 March 2010 - 12:13 AM

Not sure this is as "cleaned up" as you believe. This met me right before the title screen:

for object obj_win_main:

Error defining an external function.

Ignoring it works for now but you might wanna do something about that. I'm going to play through this and edit with my thoughts.

-This isn't bad. The game flows smoothly, the graphics are pretty and the effect of picking up gems is exactly as it should be. The sound and sparkly effects are just right. I'm not a fan of using GM's built-in show_message for anything other than debugging, though. Switching to the mouse while playing a gamepad-controlled game is always awkward.

For some strange reason, that error only occurs when i ZIP the game exe.once zipped, it gets corrupted, well i wasn't aware of this to be honest, gotta find a fix or something.
My games: