killerelectro

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 89 posts
  • Version:Unknown

Posted 16 June 2008 - 08:10 AM

Survive The Unknown
Killer Electro's Zombie Survival TDS

This game is currently the Second in my "Survive" series.

If you're confused about the storyline, you can always send me a message and I'll reply saying what I can (no spoilers!)

There's going to be alot of flashbacks in this game, so you may get confused with the present, past, and future!

Screenshots
New:
Posted Image
Posted Image

Video:Survive the Unknown Game Trailer - Youtube

Link (YYG): Survive The Unknown (YoyoGames)
Mirror 1 (Host-A): Survive The Unknown (Host-A)
Mirror 2 (GMArcade): Survive The Unknown (GMArcade)

Made with GM7
Genre: Survival Horror
File Size (download): 3.16MB

Reviews:
When I receive a review, I hope to see:

Constructive Criticism
Glitches/Bugs
If you got stuck, where?

These parts of the review really matters, since I can't improve if you don't tell me what you want to see in the game!

Updates

25th August:

- Tutorial level instead of "How to Play" screen
- Mode select to condense menu
- Random zombie spawning... NOTE: An unlimited number of zombies spawn in town area... Watch your back!
- Escape Layout change!
- Game Controller Compatibility (Game controller must have triggers, 4 buttons and 2 analog sticks.)

NOTE - I have fixed the zombie moving problem. However, I cannot see any way of removing the zombies getting stuck in walls problem. Sorry :whistle:

5th July:

- Added a radar which shows several things such as objectives, enemies, walls
- Made Intro into all one room!
- Difficulty selecting for people who are stuck
- Improved Layout

30th June:

- Added in Objective Markers (for those who were stuck)
- Clear text
- Added "How To Play" Section (i'll improve on it's graphics later)
- Added 4 Control Schemes

31st July:

- First Story Mode Mission!
- Survival Mode!
- Weapon Jamming
- Some Graphical changes
- No more wall collision problems! (However, this will have to remove the "Towards mouse" Control scheme.)

Next Update Contains:

- Suggestions are appreciated!

Red - Not Started
Blue - In Progress
Green - Finished!

If you enjoyed this game, please check out the Undead Gaming website. Even now I'm trying to revive it's community. So please, the more members we have, the faster it will return!

Undead Gaming: http://jackdragon77.proboards79.com/

(P.S. If you decide to join, please post a forum message saying you joined because of Killer Electro)

Killer Electro

Edited by killerelectro, 25 August 2008 - 11:25 AM.

Killer Electro Games

Proud Member of Undead Gaming and Who Took My Pants!?! Productions
Who Took my Pants!?!: http://www.whotookmypants.co.nr/

I Make TDS and RPG games! Want to try one of mine? Check out:
Survive The Night
Survive The Unknown

#2 Warmachine

Warmachine

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 97 posts

Posted 16 June 2008 - 08:33 AM

This needs far more info and screenshots. I mean, sorry but I won't download without screenshots. And you could also post the exact filesize, when you already tried to do so. 2(ish)MB? just isn't exact.

#3 killerelectro

killerelectro

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 89 posts

Posted 16 June 2008 - 03:01 PM

This needs far more info and screenshots. I mean, sorry but I won't download without screenshots. And you could also post the exact filesize, when you already tried to do so. 2(ish)MB? just isn't exact.

Sorry, I posted it in a bit of a hurry. I'll edit it now.

And by the way, there are screenshots if you follow the link (it goes to yoyogames)

Edited by killerelectro, 16 June 2008 - 03:06 PM.

Killer Electro Games

Survive The Night
Survive The Unknown

#4 GeoS

GeoS

GMC Member

• 145 posts

Posted 16 June 2008 - 04:36 PM

I'm sorry, but I had no idea that asking for screenshots was in any way fussy. The contrary, in fact, it's your laziness, not our fussiness. Copying them over from the YoyoGames page, so that they are tiny little images, is also counted as laziness. Use imageshack or something.

Your How To Play was either unopenable or inexistent. Either way, the issue with that is that I then have no idea how to play the game. Like how to open a door, and then I have to frustratingly start pressing keys randomly. Which I did to no avail, and stopped playing that particular mode. From what I saw, the introduction was all a bit ostentatious and melodramatic, and not particularly well written. I didn't really find myself interested or involved in the story. There was nothing to look at really, no character to feel for. In fact, the character seemed extremely generic. The sprites were at least consistent, but also sub-par. I also refuse to look out your walkthrough which might resolve my problem in not eing able to play the game. I shouldn't have to look at a walkthrough. If I do, it's just bad game design. It isn't fun.

I then went onto surivival mode. Now, I don't know about you, but in a survival mode, I figured the idea would be to survive as long as possible. Not really difficult, considering I could stay in the first room for months on end (unless my computer overheated or there was a robot apocalypse), and I would survive. Nothing much to it.

So please make the game a bit more playable, and I can give a better full review. Don't get me wrong, it looks decent (not that I've had the honor of experiencing any actual gameplay yet), but it doesn't mean much if I can't actually play it.

Edited by GeoS, 16 June 2008 - 04:38 PM.

#5 killerelectro

killerelectro

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 89 posts

Posted 16 June 2008 - 07:49 PM

I'm sorry, but I had no idea that asking for screenshots was in any way fussy. The contrary, in fact, it's your laziness, not our fussiness. Copying them over from the YoyoGames page, so that they are tiny little images, is also counted as laziness. Use imageshack or something.

Your How To Play was either unopenable or inexistent. Either way, the issue with that is that I then have no idea how to play the game. Like how to open a door, and then I have to frustratingly start pressing keys randomly. Which I did to no avail, and stopped playing that particular mode. From what I saw, the introduction was all a bit ostentatious and melodramatic, and not particularly well written. I didn't really find myself interested or involved in the story. There was nothing to look at really, no character to feel for. In fact, the character seemed extremely generic. The sprites were at least consistent, but also sub-par. I also refuse to look out your walkthrough which might resolve my problem in not eing able to play the game. I shouldn't have to look at a walkthrough. If I do, it's just bad game design. It isn't fun.

I then went onto surivival mode. Now, I don't know about you, but in a survival mode, I figured the idea would be to survive as long as possible. Not really difficult, considering I could stay in the first room for months on end (unless my computer overheated or there was a robot apocalypse), and I would survive. Nothing much to it.

So please make the game a bit more playable, and I can give a better full review. Don't get me wrong, it looks decent (not that I've had the honor of experiencing any actual gameplay yet), but it doesn't mean much if I can't actually play it.

Sorry to disappoint you, but I had no other images.

Your issue with survival mode: I haven't MADE survival mode.
I said this was just a test of the intro.
You dont need to open doors, just run up to them.

I understand it didn't really involve you yet, but intro's aren't supposed to.

If you don't believe this showed more of the story, play the first one.

Killer Electro
Killer Electro Games

Survive The Night
Survive The Unknown

#6 fawful

fawful

dear leader

• GMC Member
  • 1321 posts
  • Version:GM8

Posted 16 June 2008 - 08:24 PM

I like it,exept collecting papers is boring,tedeous and imposable.

FABULOUS

#7 Warmachine

Warmachine

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 97 posts

Posted 16 June 2008 - 11:45 PM

Can't get out of that first room. Controls are horrible to me. Look at actual first person shooters. You always go where you look. But yeah. Graphics are plain, not nice to look at.

#8 killerelectro

killerelectro

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 89 posts

Posted 17 June 2008 - 04:25 AM

Ok ok, if you hate my graphics so much, why dont you help out by spriting better ones?

"Controls are horrible to me"?!
haha, play the first one then. Guarentee you that these are better. Besides, control layout shouldn't be a downside, as it gives a
game a unique point.

"Look at actual first person shooters"
Ok, then you look at Top Down Shooters.

It seems to me that half of that tiny review was more about criticizing things that actually should be a plus side.

I'll hope for a better review next time.

Killer Electro

Edited by killerelectro, 17 June 2008 - 04:26 AM.

Killer Electro Games

Survive The Night
Survive The Unknown

#9 Taxa

Taxa

GMC Member

• 214 posts

Posted 17 June 2008 - 06:38 AM

seriously, I have no idea what the hell the point of the game is, the how to play button doesn't work at all!
Also, I tried to play it, and I thought that it was really lacking in imagination, I mean, the rooms had hardly any detail...

#10 Warmachine

Warmachine

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 97 posts

Posted 17 June 2008 - 02:32 PM

Ok ok, if you hate my graphics so much, why dont you help out by spriting better ones?

Because it is not my job. It is YOUR job.

"Controls are horrible to me"?!
haha, play the first one then. Guarentee you that these are better. Besides, control layout shouldn't be a downside, as it gives a
game a unique point.

That does not make these better. And it should be a downside, if you can't control as nice as you can in other games.

"Look at actual first person shooters"
Ok, then you look at Top Down Shooters.

Top down shooters usually work with the same system. WASD to move, mouse to look. And you go where you look. W is always forward. Not always up.

If you can't stand reviews, then don't ask for them.

#11 killerelectro

killerelectro

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 89 posts

Posted 17 June 2008 - 04:25 PM

I just don't ask for reviews from people who have joined like 3 days ago.

Yes, I agree the sprites aren't as good, but I'm not a spriter, I'm a coder. If I could get my team back together, then we could work on this, but until then, I can't improve.

"Nice controls on other games" Games have different controls. e.g. Wii, NES, Arcade machines, all of these have different controls (even though they are different platforms) Controls are supposed to be different. I'll accept that, but no-one ever complains about Karoshi's z to jump, x to fire shiz, and I found that extremely annoying.
Killer Electro Games

Survive The Night
Survive The Unknown

#12 GeoS

GeoS

GMC Member

• 145 posts

Posted 17 June 2008 - 04:38 PM

game a unique point.

That does not make these better. And it should be a downside, if you can't control as nice as you can in other games.

Exactly. You're not bettering your own standards, and we're not rating you on your own standards. We're rating and comparing you to the other games we see around us. You shouldn't expect us to play your previous game, when we are supposed to be rating this game. How many people actually played your previous game? And if this is so much better, how many will actually be coming back for more? What kind of audience is that?

Sorry if you don't enjoy criticism, but that is consequence of expecting comments. Some people will dislike it more than others, but don't complain to him, and ask him to be more positive! Just take it on board, start thinking about why he might not have liked it. He's not attacking you, and it's not personal. You've now been given the same criticism by three people, in that we can't play your game. And if we can't play your game, we can't play your game. Don't tell us off!

To support you however, I will say that W is sometimes up and not necessarily forward for top-down shooters. GTA1, GTA2, Geometry Wars all follow that.

#13 Warmachine

Warmachine

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 97 posts

Posted 17 June 2008 - 06:11 PM

I just don't ask for reviews from people who have joined like 3 days ago.

That's very smart of you. As you can see I work with gamemaker for a long time, and I was on this forum for 3 years before my account got stolen. So don't judge people from your joindate. That, and the fact that you don't see what me and others say, makes you childish.
And yeah. The controls on other games are nice. These aren't to me. If you really want to keep them, don't be pissed when others say the same. Offer the people to change the control scheme. Or don't. If I can't play the game, I won't come back to check it out again. Your decision.

Edited by Warmachine, 17 June 2008 - 06:13 PM.

#14 killerelectro

killerelectro

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 89 posts

Posted 17 June 2008 - 08:56 PM

Ok, I admit it was a bit harsh of me to flame you about your join date, but I'm not a spriter, I'm the gameplay side of it.

Sure, I'll was planning to add in multi controls, but the way you put it, it seemed like even if I did, you'd just find some way to criticise it more.

Unfortunately, I haven't had enough people review it fully (even though it's only the intro)

I don't expect to have problems to do with criticising. I'd expect that when it's posted into the Game Creations catagory, but not the WIP. WIP? Work In Progress. It's for people such as yourself to make CONSTRUCTIVE criticism, tell me what to improve on e.g. your post: "Controls are horrible to me". Please, if you're going to say that, tell me what to change the controls to / make a new control scheme from. I'm not a person that likes to follow generic settings. Innovation is the way forward! <_<

But please, if you're going to say my game is crap, tell me ways to improve.

And no, I don't want to drive away gamers, but it's in the WIP section for a reason.
Killer Electro Games

Survive The Night
Survive The Unknown

#15 Warmachine

Warmachine

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 97 posts

Posted 18 June 2008 - 12:47 AM

I did tell you what I disliked, and what you should change. I said you could make the control scheme chooseable, and I also usually see W as always forward. So that is constructive criticism. I said too, that I dislike the graphics because they are too plain and there is almost no detail in the room. I also said that I couldn't get out of the first room. I don't know why, that is up to you to find out, maybe it is a bug.

This is my last reply to this. No more posts from me here.

#16 killerelectro

killerelectro

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 89 posts

Posted 30 June 2008 - 08:29 PM

Update (30th June):
- Added in Objective Markers (for those who were stuck)
- Clear text
- Added "How To Play" Section (i'll improve on it's graphics later)
- Added 4 Control Schemes

Hope to see some more feedback and constructive criticism.

Killer Electro ;)
Killer Electro Games

Survive The Night
Survive The Unknown

#17 killerelectro

killerelectro

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 89 posts

Posted 05 July 2008 - 09:34 PM

Update (5th July):

- Added a radar which shows several things such as objectives, enemies, walls
- Made Intro into all one room!
- Difficulty selecting for people who are stuck
- Improved Layout

Hope to see more feedback soon, I don't want this topic to die! :)
Killer Electro Games

Survive The Night
Survive The Unknown

#18 PlazmaBurst

PlazmaBurst

Hear all, trust nothing.

• 260 posts

Posted 08 July 2008 - 02:22 PM

I downloaded your game and gave it a try. So, here is my little review:

Survive The Unknown, then.

The game opens with you, player, locked in a some kind of prison cell or something, immediately security guard comes over and tells you "the boss wants to see you". And here you are basically stuck, you don't know what the games expects you to do. The door won't open, you can't click anything and this is the point when you decide to smash random keys on your keyboard hoping one of the keys would do something that will make you progress. I mean, you should at least give us some kind of hint that says "press enter to continue" or something.

Once you press enter you will proceed trough the dialog and the guard will tell you to follow him to his boss or if you are smart enough you can just wait for the guard to leave and sneak out of the room.

Once thought the gate the alarms started flashing and countdown started. I don't know by who, but I was told to proceed to the helipad, kill all zombies and retrieve all important documents. Why? I just escaped from the prison, shouldn't I run for my life?

Nah, okay, I said as I was shooting some zombies. They didn't stand a chance, they are too slow. Only after few rooms I encountered tougher enemy... it's the wall collision.
While you can walk over security guards, but if you just touch a corner of the wall there is a big chance you'll get stuck and be forced to rotate and wiggle around till you get out. Luckily zombies are slower than a bunch of snails so they don't pose a threat even if you are stuck.

This part of the game is dull and boring. Not just that main character is slow (still faster than zombies) but the amount of documents and layout of the building was utterly dumb. I mean, I've never been in a secret zombie umbrella research facility, but I'm quite sure they don't feature labyrinths and twisting hallways that make you curse the architect that built that ting. After a while I felt sick, probably cause a constant blinking of red lights, flashing countdown and awful, loud, repeating music, so I took a break.

It seems this part was supposed to be epic fast-paced escape from the building but main character lacks basic survival skills so he decides to walk through all that, or did I miss note hinting me there is a "run" button? Thank God for the long countdown timer.

I finally got to the helicopter and I don't know why they gave me a gun and dropped me into the city . The city felt "scary" at first but that feeling quickly faded because I saw there is nothing to do there except kill random spawning zombies... or is there?

So, to sum it up.
Engine: works well, but still needs a bit of work, like for example: making the character slide against the wall instead of stopping and getting stuck.
Presentation: Most of instructions are messed up or missing. Make all instructions in one place or even better integrate them into a game, like an in-game tutorial. Also in "how to play" you should fix the text because it appears beneath the title and tell us how to go to the next page (so we don't press random keys)
Music: Music should be subtle and passive, not anything like the thing that play in the "escape scene" it's just too aggressive and hurts, I liked the music that played while I was in the city.
Graphics: I don't know what to say, it seems you just threw in random ellipses and rectangles from ms paint, take some time to create better sprites or get a spriter that can create it for you. Also make red flashes and countdown timers blink only when the timer is really close to zero, cause it really makes me sick. Also, add more detail, don't make all walls black? Why does the boss has a giant empty room?
Story: what story?

I know this seems like a negative review but this game isn't that bad. I had fun time playing it. I mean, it's a lot better than all of those zelda and mario clones that seems to plague the GM community. You certainly have nice ideas and knowledge to do it but you don't seem to devote to it much.

I'm sorry if this review seems a bit harsh but this is just constructive criticism and I hope it helps you create third installment of your "Survie the " series.

I realize this is still WIP but still you have lot to work on. Good luck. :(

PS why do I have to shoot the monitor to save?

Sorry for the long post.
My fingers hurt now...

Edited by PlazmaBurst, 08 July 2008 - 02:38 PM.

Sell a man a game, he is entertained for a week,
teach a man how to make games, you ruin a wonderful business opportunity.

#19 PlazmaBurst

PlazmaBurst

Hear all, trust nothing.

• 260 posts

Posted 08 July 2008 - 02:25 PM

sorry, double post

Edited by PlazmaBurst, 08 July 2008 - 02:26 PM.

#20 killerelectro

killerelectro

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 89 posts

Posted 08 July 2008 - 04:42 PM

I downloaded your game and gave it a try. So, here is my little review:

Survive The Unknown, then.

The game opens with you, player, locked in a some kind of prison cell or something, immediately security guard comes over and tells you "the boss wants to see you". And here you are basically stuck, you don't know what the games expects you to do. The door won't open, you can't click anything and this is the point when you decide to smash random keys on your keyboard hoping one of the keys would do something that will make you progress. I mean, you should at least give us some kind of hint that says "press enter to continue" or something.

Once you press enter you will proceed trough the dialog and the guard will tell you to follow him to his boss or if you are smart enough you can just wait for the guard to leave and sneak out of the room.

Once thought the gate the alarms started flashing and countdown started. I don't know by who, but I was told to proceed to the helipad, kill all zombies and retrieve all important documents. Why? I just escaped from the prison, shouldn't I run for my life?

Nah, okay, I said as I was shooting some zombies. They didn't stand a chance, they are too slow. Only after few rooms I encountered tougher enemy... it's the wall collision.
While you can walk over security guards, but if you just touch a corner of the wall there is a big chance you'll get stuck and be forced to rotate and wiggle around till you get out. Luckily zombies are slower than a bunch of snails so they don't pose a threat even if you are stuck.

This part of the game is dull and boring. Not just that main character is slow (still faster than zombies) but the amount of documents and layout of the building was utterly dumb. I mean, I've never been in a secret zombie umbrella research facility, but I'm quite sure they don't feature labyrinths and twisting hallways that make you curse the architect that built that ting. After a while I felt sick, probably cause a constant blinking of red lights, flashing countdown and awful, loud, repeating music, so I took a break.

It seems this part was supposed to be epic fast-paced escape from the building but main character lacks basic survival skills so he decides to walk through all that, or did I miss note hinting me there is a "run" button? Thank God for the long countdown timer.

I finally got to the helicopter and I don't know why they gave me a gun and dropped me into the city . The city felt "scary" at first but that feeling quickly faded because I saw there is nothing to do there except kill random spawning zombies... or is there?

So, to sum it up.
Engine: works well, but still needs a bit of work, like for example: making the character slide against the wall instead of stopping and getting stuck.
Presentation: Most of instructions are messed up or missing. Make all instructions in one place or even better integrate them into a game, like an in-game tutorial. Also in "how to play" you should fix the text because it appears beneath the title and tell us how to go to the next page (so we don't press random keys)
Music: Music should be subtle and passive, not anything like the thing that play in the "escape scene" it's just too aggressive and hurts, I liked the music that played while I was in the city.
Graphics: I don't know what to say, it seems you just threw in random ellipses and rectangles from ms paint, take some time to create better sprites or get a spriter that can create it for you. Also make red flashes and countdown timers blink only when the timer is really close to zero, cause it really makes me sick. Also, add more detail, don't make all walls black? Why does the boss has a giant empty room?
Story: what story?

I know this seems like a negative review but this game isn't that bad. I had fun time playing it. I mean, it's a lot better than all of those zelda and mario clones that seems to plague the GM community. You certainly have nice ideas and knowledge to do it but you don't seem to devote to it much.

I'm sorry if this review seems a bit harsh but this is just constructive criticism and I hope it helps you create third installment of your "Survie the " series.

I realize this is still WIP but still you have lot to work on. Good luck. :whistle:

PS why do I have to shoot the monitor to save?

Sorry for the long post.
My fingers hurt now...

By the way, I'm soon going to upload the new version which includes:

- Survival mode (test your zombie genociding skills!)
- The first mission! (YAY! Something to do in the town area!)
- Some overall layout improvements.
- Start adding in search functions (probably with right mouse button)

Sorry to tell you this, but when you're supposed to follow the guard, you're supposed to follow him. I'm going to make it so that if you're a certain distance from the guard (it says at top right), the other guards say something then you die and have to restart.

The music on the escape is the FINAL escape. I said it contains alot of flashbacks... The "prison" is actually the beginning, I'll send you a PM with the story details.

You don't "shoot" the computer, you have to have no weapon equipped, so you "use" the computer instead.

When you say "slide" along the walls, do you mean things like Gears of War/Rainbow Six?

I'll add in a "press enter to continue" (like I did with the intro)

I'll make the controls alot clearer in the next update.

The boss has an empty room because that's when the boss has died xD

Graphics are the major problem for me. I really need an artist that won't mind contributing as much as I need him/her.

But thanks for the review, I still need to improve the game alot, but it's just a test of the engine.

Killer Electro
Killer Electro Games

Survive The Night
Survive The Unknown

#21 PlazmaBurst

PlazmaBurst

Hear all, trust nothing.

• 260 posts

Posted 08 July 2008 - 05:54 PM

Sorry to tell you this, but when you're supposed to follow the guard, you're supposed to follow him. I'm going to make it so that if you're a certain distance from the guard (it says at top right), the other guards say something then you die and have to restart.

I know, I followed the guard, I was merely remarking upon a glitch. Also don't just kill the player if he doesn't follow the guard, make something more interesting and realistic, else the player would be annoyed, you could for example add one more guard that escorts you and follows you from behind, like he is there to make sure you don't escape. Becuse it would be stupid for a guard to just release you from the prison and tell you to follow him than ran out of the room like he does.

You don't "shoot" the computer, you have to have no weapon equipped, so you "use" the computer instead.

Well I always have my gun out and when I click on the computer character shoots, maybe you should disable shooting in the room or if mouse is above the computer so it doesn't look like he is shooting.

When you say "slide" along the walls, do you mean things like Gears of War/Rainbow Six?

That's not exactly what I had in mind, I'll send you an example of what I mean in a PM.

The boss has an empty room because that's when the boss has died xD

That was not my point. I was trying to say you should add more details, more objects, cause now rooms look blank, empty, sterile. It just doesn't look right to have such big room with one table and that's it. Why not add shelves, chairs, maybe a fireplace, a carpet? Add these kind of details and rooms will look more natural, more realistic.

Graphics are the major problem for me. I really need an artist that won't mind contributing as much as I need him/her.

Sorry, I am no good spriter my self. You should just try spending more time on sprite. (days, not minutes)

Edited by PlazmaBurst, 08 July 2008 - 07:11 PM.

#22 killerelectro

killerelectro

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 89 posts

Posted 31 July 2008 - 05:45 PM

UPDATE!!! (31st July):

- First Story Mode Mission!
- Survival Mode!
- Weapon Jamming
- Some Graphical changes (Including Statbox redesign!)
- No more wall collision problems! (However, this will have to remove the "Towards mouse" Control scheme.)
Killer Electro Games

Survive The Night
Survive The Unknown

#23 PlazmaBurst

PlazmaBurst

Hear all, trust nothing.

• 260 posts

Posted 03 August 2008 - 11:45 AM

It's getting batter!

I can see lots of improvement but it still lacks few things.

Here are some things I think you should improve:
-Make second level (when you have to find those documents) more interesting, I noticed you walk faster without any weapons equipped, but what I don't like is the fact that there you are too slow when carrying the shotgun, it feels like you are carrying a rocket launcher or something, and that's the main reason why I used the pistol more.

-Make the design of the level more realistic, as I said in my first review, you don't have labyrinths in secret facilities. It's just boring to walk on way and than notice you missed the document that is not the other side of the building and you then have to back track all the way, it's just not fun.

-In the city make zombies spawn random not just from the fixed spots near your starting point, but also make sure they don't spawn when you are near so you don't just see them appearing form thin air

-Make finding the key for the guy a bit harder, don't make it just appear on your radar, make it so you actually have to look around and follow some clues (for example make the guy say he remember being in the backyard of his store/diner few hours ago) or some other simple puzzle.

-I didn't know what was flashback what isn't. Make Flashbacks more obvious, add dreamy vignette around the screen or change the clothes of the main character.

-In the second flashback (the one with the lift) remove the number of those tough and slow zombies because it's not fun battling them, they move too slow to pose any threat but take lots of bullets to kill. The thing that makes it worse is that when zombies start to follow you they don't merge into single spot one on top of the other, so it looks like one zombie, they should collide with each other, also zombies should pathfind around obstacles not just stop because they got stuck with the corner of the wall.

-Add pause feature, the reason it took me long time to complete this game is the fact that there is no pause and if your telephone rings while you are playing it you press esc and later see that it's actually "got to main menu" button and not pause button, and you have to pass the level again, it's especially annoying with that "find the documents" mission

I really like the new weapon jam feature, it adds a bit more randomness to the battles.

Also I found one bug where when I turned off the music in the options menu (set it to 0%), music still played in the first prison level and the city and the second flashback.

Can't wait for the next update.
Good luck!

#24 masterofhisowndomain

masterofhisowndomain

The Designer

• GMC Member
  • 3650 posts
  • Version:GM8.1

Posted 03 August 2008 - 12:11 PM

Well I'd actually quite like the play this game, but the YoYoGames play doesn't seem to be working and there are no mirrors..

List Of Mods And Add-Ons

(Things you must try, for the games you already have)

Insightful links:
Higher Order Fun -- Game Design, Maths.
The Missing Concept -- Career/Hobby?
Neither Career Nor Hobby -- Career/Hobby?
Wario Land 4 Project -- Platformer design.

#25 killerelectro

killerelectro

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 89 posts

Posted 03 August 2008 - 04:07 PM

Added in a mirror for those who hate YYG's online play & DL.

Don't forget to suggest improvements, I'll take on any ideas!

Killer Electro
Killer Electro Games

Survive The Night
Survive The Unknown

#26 masterofhisowndomain

masterofhisowndomain

The Designer

• GMC Member
  • 3650 posts
  • Version:GM8.1

Posted 03 August 2008 - 06:37 PM

Well I've played it and I quite liked it, although there isn't very much content at the moment and the difficulty needs to be tweaked slightly (on Rookie I managed to get all the Info even after having forgotten to pick up some and had to wait on the Helipad for 5 minutes. I think you should have different levels of the building, rather than keeping everything on the ground floor, and also some decorative scenery wouldn't go amiss down there.. :mellow:

List Of Mods And Add-Ons

(Things you must try, for the games you already have)

Insightful links:
Higher Order Fun -- Game Design, Maths.
The Missing Concept -- Career/Hobby?
Neither Career Nor Hobby -- Career/Hobby?
Wario Land 4 Project -- Platformer design.

#27 chris_kurz3

chris_kurz3

GMC Member

• 219 posts

Posted 21 August 2008 - 04:54 PM

Hey this is a lot better than the first one. Nice job. Im glad you changed the way you move from the first one. if i recall correctly, all the controls where in the mouse(like middle button was move...really weird) I think you should make the escape from the building at the beginning shorter cuz this is a game maker game and if it doesnt catch peoples attention right off the bat, they wont play it and wont comment. I think you are totally going in the right direction though, the game is coming out great. Im glad to see a more in-depth story too. Hope to see updates!!

PS: sorry it took so long to play this, my compy was busted

#28 killerelectro

killerelectro

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 89 posts

Posted 25 August 2008 - 10:57 AM

UPDATE! (25th August):

- Tutorial level instead of "How to Play" screen
- Mode select to condense menu
- Random zombie spawning... NOTE: An unlimited number of zombies spawn in town area... Watch your back!
- Escape Layout change!
- Game Controller Compatibility (Game controller must have triggers, 4 buttons and 2 analog sticks.)
Killer Electro Games

Survive The Night
Survive The Unknown

#29 killerelectro

killerelectro

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 89 posts

Posted 31 August 2008 - 09:24 PM

Note: Added a new mirror: GMArcade! (Finally got the instant play to work with it as well!)

If the world of Host-A and YYG blows up, rely on GMArcade to save it!

Killer Electro
Killer Electro Games

Survive The Night
Survive The Unknown

#30 DJ J4KE

DJ J4KE

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 142 posts

Posted 01 September 2008 - 08:44 PM

Good game, but just one question...

Why do the guards suddenly turn into zombies?

#31 killerelectro

killerelectro

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 89 posts

Posted 03 September 2008 - 08:20 PM

To answer your question: The guards turn into zombies since the whole Loglite institute has been infected.

Anything else you could suggest?
Killer Electro Games

Survive The Night
Survive The Unknown

#32 (Forsaken)AOLGuy

(Forsaken)AOLGuy

You've got mail!

• 295 posts

Posted 03 September 2008 - 10:41 PM

Argh, apologies for the late reply. I've been quite busy.

Just wanted to say that the game is coming along nicely. :lol: The graphics are still a tad bland, but gameplay-wise it has certainly improved since I initially played it. Some suggestions for you:

1. Run through each sector of story mode on the hardest difficulty level prior to release. Even though the character is a lot more maneuverable in this demo, I have my doubts as to whether you can complete the second section of the Loglite institute in the time you're given. You might want to check that out.

2. Mouse aiming. Personally, I would rather be using the arrow keys to change my character's direction than the mouse (not movement mind you, as I'm fine with the 'A' 'S' 'D' 'W' layout). This may involve a bit more coding on your part, but including the option to switch between mouse and keyboard for determining direction would be a nice feature to see in the future.

Anyway, hope you keep working on this and such.

#33 killerelectro

killerelectro

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 89 posts

Posted 04 September 2008 - 05:38 AM

1. Already tested, and all features on the hardest setting are possible, it just requires fast switching between weapons and timing reloads.

2. Ok, but this one will definately take some time! I'll try to release it for next update, but I'd have to make it compatiblefor arrow key controls as well.
Killer Electro Games

Survive The Night
Survive The Unknown