Pokemon Beta

• Please log in to reply
105 replies to this topic

#1 sunstroke

sunstroke

GMC Member

• 255 posts

Posted 30 May 2008 - 12:04 AM

Pokemon Beta is a Pokemon Game in development programmed by me and with sprites gathered/ripped by DaSpirit. It is well under way, containing a battle system and overworld.

Pictures say a thousand words:
Posted Image

Download at http://www.yoyogames...ames/show/37820

This demo is based off of the beginning of Fire red/leaf green although it has a diamond/pearl battle system.

Controls:
arrow keys - move
z - action
x - run enter - menu
space - speeds up game

The bottom half of the window is a touchscreen

The music is from vgmusic.com, although it will be changed before the actual games come out.
This demo is really to show off our engine, and once the engine gets closer to completion, me and DaSpirit will split apart and make two different, and original, pokemon games.
Code from the engine will not be given, however I will answer questions about it.

If anyone wishes to support this project then they can put this into their signature:
[url="http://gmc.yoyogames.com/index.php?showtopic=378311"][img]http://joegrinstead.com/games/touchscreen.png[/img][/url]
which comes out as:
Posted Image

For those of you who can't use Yoyogames, you can download the game here

Edited by sunstroke, 23 July 2008 - 05:15 PM.

#2 Dan1995

Dan1995

AKA CHUBZEE!!!

• 128 posts

Posted 30 May 2008 - 12:05 AM

Trying...

EDIT:
Hmmm........ Not bad so far... Could use a menu. Also, I just noticed a glitch. If you don't press Z when you click Run, you can still throw a Pokeball.

Edited by Dan1995, 30 May 2008 - 12:11 AM.

Youtube Videos made by meee!

<<Paste this in your siggy if you are a Christian>>

if i could go back to 2005, i'd tell my younger self not to be a NOOB!

#3 0snake

0snake

GMC Member

• 151 posts

Posted 30 May 2008 - 12:28 AM

yea it seems like a very good start i might even use it for my pokemon game

#4 Red Connelly

Red Connelly

GMC Member

• 514 posts

Posted 30 May 2008 - 12:46 AM

Don't you think you should at least ask his permission first?

#5 sunstroke

sunstroke

GMC Member

• 255 posts

Posted 30 May 2008 - 01:36 AM

Hmmm........ Not bad so far... Could use a menu. Also, I just noticed a glitch. If you don't press Z when you click Run, you can still throw a Pokeball.

Thank you for telling me.

Don't you think you should at least ask his permission first?

Code from the engine will not be given, however I will answer questions about it.

Yeah, this engine will be used as the basis for me and DaSpirits's games, not as an opensource. Sorry about the misunderstanding.

#6 daspirit

daspirit

The Quiet

• GMC Member
  • 538 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 30 May 2008 - 08:14 PM

This is a really cool engine, I like it.

Natural GM, a free and cross-platform alternative IDE for GM:Studio written in C++.

#7 IQbrew

IQbrew

Pro-Grammar

• Banned Users
  • 2607 posts
  • Version:Unknown

Posted 30 May 2008 - 08:19 PM

I like how you started with goldenrod music.
I'm guessing the music from when you go to the right came from emerald?

Edited by IQbrew, 30 May 2008 - 08:21 PM.

"Personally, I rather look forward to a computer program winning the world chess championship. Humanity needs a lesson in humility. "

#8 eafg2

eafg2

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 166 posts

Posted 31 May 2008 - 03:38 PM

What can I say..
It's not the best I seen but it's allways a start.

#9 IQbrew

IQbrew

Pro-Grammar

• Banned Users
  • 2607 posts
  • Version:Unknown

Posted 31 May 2008 - 09:40 PM

A request:
Yoyogames is very unreliable for me.
COuld you make a downloadable version?
"Personally, I rather look forward to a computer program winning the world chess championship. Humanity needs a lesson in humility. "

#10 goreforcexgames

goreforcexgames

GMC Member

• 594 posts

Posted 31 May 2008 - 09:44 PM

So this is a mix of Fire Red/Leaf Green and Diamond/Pearl? Cool B)

I r teh pwnz u nubcakez.

#11 jon sploder

jon sploder

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 919 posts

Posted 01 June 2008 - 02:27 AM

Hey, nice to see it. I saw this on another forum before anyone on the GMC I think, and I am very impressed.

#12 sunstroke

sunstroke

GMC Member

• 255 posts

Posted 01 June 2008 - 02:47 AM

Hey, nice to see it. I saw this on another forum before anyone on the GMC I think, and I am very impressed.

Thank you for the compliment, however this is an original game and hasn't been released before...
I admit that Pokemon Beta isn't very creative, so I imagine that the other people just happened to think of it as well.

#13 jon sploder

jon sploder

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 919 posts

Posted 01 June 2008 - 05:25 AM

Thank you for the compliment, however this is an original game and hasn't been released before...
I admit that Pokemon Beta isn't very creative, so I imagine that the other people just happened to think of it as well.

Nope, I was shared it by your fellow worker, and It was just an exe. Its very good, but I think that a classic style pokemon battle system would be better, as many more people like the classic style, not clicking, :whistle:. That or you should make it an optional GUI?

#14 goreforcexgames

goreforcexgames

GMC Member

• 594 posts

Posted 01 June 2008 - 05:53 AM

Nope, I was shared it by your fellow worker, and It was just an exe. Its very good, but I think that a classic style pokemon battle system would be better, as many more people like the classic style, not clicking, :whistle:. That or you should make it an optional GUI?

Yea there should be an "Options" menu somewhere which you can change it. But thisll just make the programming harder i guess.

I r teh pwnz u nubcakez.

#15 Revenge

Revenge

Dr. Broccoli

• GMC Member
  • 573 posts
  • Version:GM8.1

Posted 01 June 2008 - 06:43 AM

I havent actually played it yet, but all I can say is it had better be increibly good to get a lot of attention. Pokemon clones are littered all over the GMC, and I don't think it needs many more unless they're truly outstanding. Will eit with reply soon.

#16 jon sploder

jon sploder

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 919 posts

Posted 01 June 2008 - 07:01 AM

Trust me its good. But the thing that is not is the annoying D/P battles, lol. If you could please just take an hour or so to make an option for the FR/LG or emerald GUI, I'd be very happy, as with many others I think, thanks!

#17 ellabella

ellabella

GMC Member

• 1 posts

Posted 01 June 2008 - 08:52 AM

i found a glich where wen u run from a enemy it says escaped safely but then it freezes

also are u able to change the screen size cuz mines so small that it hurts my eyes to look

its really funny when u press spacebar and u like run really really fast like faster than X

#18 0snake

0snake

GMC Member

• 151 posts

Posted 01 June 2008 - 02:10 PM

hey i think that once you add the bag and or menu you should have that on the bottom screen in the overwold also maybe making the battle system more interactive cause when i playe Diamond and pearl i was thinking that to do attacks they were going to make you do stuff with the touch scrren to power it up or fire...

#19 airheadgames772

airheadgames772

GMC Member

• 247 posts

Posted 02 June 2008 - 02:35 PM

Very nice! You get an :blink:

Edited by airheadgames772, 02 June 2008 - 02:35 PM.

#20 Broxter

Broxter

Jack Brockley

• GMC Member
  • 540 posts

Posted 02 June 2008 - 03:30 PM

Nice! I like this because, unlike Pokemon Graphite, you have made your own engine. Also, you got some nice stuff from D/P included there.

Is there any way I could help with the progress of this game?

#21 goreforcexgames

goreforcexgames

GMC Member

• 594 posts

Posted 02 June 2008 - 08:38 PM

Nice! I like this because, unlike Pokemon Graphite, you have made your own engine. Also, you got some nice stuff from D/P included there.

Is there any way I could help with the progress of this game?

What about Twilight? You should mention it, its the best :(

I r teh pwnz u nubcakez.

#22 Broxter

Broxter

Jack Brockley

• GMC Member
  • 540 posts

Posted 02 June 2008 - 09:22 PM

Well yeah, everyone knows that PT is the best, but this topic is'nt about PT :(.

#23 Dreedo

Dreedo

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1308 posts

Posted 02 June 2008 - 09:27 PM

the topics closed, where else are we supposed to talk about it? :(

anyway nice game there, it looks like a good start.

#24 jon sploder

jon sploder

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 919 posts

Posted 02 June 2008 - 10:04 PM

the topics closed, where else are we supposed to talk about it? :(

anyway nice game there, it looks like a good start.

Not on this thread, because it was things like that that got it closed. Can you tell us whats going to be in your next "release"?

#25 sunstroke

sunstroke

GMC Member

• 255 posts

Posted 02 June 2008 - 10:54 PM

Not on this thread, because it was things like that that got it closed. Can you tell us whats going to be in your next "release"?

Saving

We have the functionality for the beginning part of the story, but if you can't save it then you will go through the same intro over and over again. So that's my top priority.

#26 Khelder

Khelder

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 2301 posts

Posted 03 June 2008 - 12:10 AM

I'm impressed. It's a solid engine, and has several of the little "tweaks". For example, it's one of the first I've seen where the Pokémon Center actually stacks up your balls and heals them. Many do it without the animations. A couple of points re that:

You should only be able to read signs from below (otherwise it says "You can't read that from here.") and you shouldn't be able to run indoors (Use a global variable, such as global.indoors {true/false} set in the room create code?)

It says "Press Enter for the menu", and I know you haven't included the menu yet, but would it be better to have the menu on the touch-screen? (e.g. Press the red button by the time, and the time is replaced by a menu)

Not fully functional, but it feels like an official game. Few get that right. Congratulations!

(Oh, and the player doesn't ever throw Pokéballs, they just teleport in. Try using an object, a path, and end_path events)

#27 daspirit

daspirit

The Quiet

• GMC Member
  • 538 posts

Posted 03 June 2008 - 01:51 AM

I'm impressed. It's a solid engine, and has several of the little "tweaks". For example, it's one of the first I've seen where the Pokémon Center actually stacks up your balls and heals them. Many do it without the animations. A couple of points re that:

You should only be able to read signs from below (otherwise it says "You can't read that from here.") and you shouldn't be able to run indoors (Use a global variable, such as global.indoors {true/false} set in the room create code?)

It says "Press Enter for the menu", and I know you haven't included the menu yet, but would it be better to have the menu on the touch-screen? (e.g. Press the red button by the time, and the time is replaced by a menu)

Not fully functional, but it feels like an official game. Few get that right. Congratulations!

(Oh, and the player doesn't ever throw Pokéballs, they just teleport in. Try using an object, a path, and end_path events)

About the no running indoor comment, you can run indoor in Diamond/Pearl. Some stuff like the menu have still yet to be completed but will definatly be in the game.

Natural GM, a free and cross-platform alternative IDE for GM:Studio written in C++.

#28 goreforcexgames

goreforcexgames

GMC Member

• 594 posts

Posted 03 June 2008 - 01:59 AM

Im very sorry but i forgot to tell you what i think of the game. Its really good! It DOES feel like a real game. Most people dont like how its using a DS battle system, but i like it. 4/5. Nice B)

I r teh pwnz u nubcakez.

#29 Broxter

Broxter

Jack Brockley

• GMC Member
  • 540 posts

Posted 03 June 2008 - 08:09 AM

I actually do like the D/P battle system. It's quicker, easier, and it looks better. I also believe it is easier to program.

THINGS I THINK SHOULD BE INCLUDED IN NEXT VERSION:
- Obviously a menu and saving function
- Custom player sprite
- Floors underneath the pokemon in a battle
- Choosing a pokemon
- Poke Marts
- Custom pokemon

I can't think of anything else at the moment, but I will probably add to the list.

PS: This game rocks! Second best pokemon game at the moment.

#30 jon sploder

jon sploder

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 919 posts

Posted 03 June 2008 - 08:39 AM

I actually do like the D/P battle system. It's quicker, easier, and it looks better. I also believe it is easier to program.

- Custom player sprite
- Choosing a pokemon
- Poke Marts
- Custom pokemon

I can't think of anything else at the moment, but I will probably add to the list.

NO. Custom Pokemon absolutely ruin a good game. Unless you can actually sprite them, or have a spair 150 in the back of your PCs harddrive, NO. Please, this'd make the game very unprofessional.

#31 2d_games

2d_games

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1504 posts
  • Version:GM8

Posted 03 June 2008 - 12:17 PM

- Custom player sprite
- Choosing a pokemon
- Poke Marts
- Custom pokemon

NO. Custom Pokemon absolutely ruin a good game. Unless you can actually sprite them, or have a spair 150 in the back of your PCs harddrive, NO. Please, this'd make the game very unprofessional.

custom pokemon would make it better...but only if the custom pokemon sprites were good

#32 Broxter

Broxter

Jack Brockley

• GMC Member
  • 540 posts

Posted 03 June 2008 - 02:53 PM

Well if your going to make a clone, you should at least customize it. I simply cannot believe you are discouraging the use of custom sprites, as I personally wouldn't like playing a game with the same pokemon from the proper games.

Adding new pokemon, like in Pokemon Twilight, makes the game more exciting, as you're trying to find pokemon that you've never seen before. Also, with your own pokemon, you can make the perfect pokemon to go with you storyline. Having the original 150 pokemon in the game would just bore me...

Obviously you will need good spriters, but there are many around that aren't half decent at spriting pokemon. Just check around for some good spriters, and ask them if they'll do some pokemon for you.

Edited by Broxter, 04 June 2008 - 08:47 AM.

#33 sunstroke

sunstroke

GMC Member

• 255 posts

Posted 03 June 2008 - 07:08 PM

I should probably specify the plan.

Once the engine has gotten to a point where it pretty much has everything (trainers, gyms, other stuff) then me and DaSpirit will split and make two different pokemon games.

DaSpirit plans on using the official pokemon but making a new story plot.

I plan to make an original game with original pokemon (I have no idea what the game will be about, but I'll decide once I've got a spriter).

I will be asking for people to join up with me when the split occurs. I will likely not make a thread asking for pokemon because noobs always spam them with blobs they made in paint.

#34 Broxter

Broxter

Jack Brockley

• GMC Member
  • 540 posts

Posted 04 June 2008 - 08:48 AM

Yeah, but if you make a thread, then even if the pokemon sprites are pretty rubbish, you can still get some ideas from them.

#35 Dreedo

Dreedo

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1308 posts

Posted 04 June 2008 - 02:53 PM

nevermind

Edited by Dreedo, 04 June 2008 - 02:54 PM.

#36 sunstroke

sunstroke

GMC Member

• 255 posts

Posted 04 June 2008 - 10:19 PM

You are one of the only ones to like it and I don't know why...
It isn't easier to program, they are exactly the same.

Those have been added.

- Custom player sprite

This is only the engine phase, and so we're probably not using the sprites now that will be used in our future games.

I want to add it, but nobody has d/p floor sprites (they're always obscured by the pokemon)

- Choosing a pokemon

What do you mean... You can already do that.

- Poke Marts

This will come after the items start working

- Custom pokemon

Once again, this is only the engine phase, and so we're probably not using the sprites now that will be used in our future games.

Thank you ^_^

#37 sunstroke

sunstroke

GMC Member

• 255 posts

Posted 09 June 2008 - 02:55 AM

New Update:
- fixed bug with experience (you weren't getting enough)
- added pokemon switching in the overworld
- you now start at level 6 (not much of a change)
- some other small things, but I've forgotten what they are

#38 dialg8

dialg8

GMC Member

• 29 posts

Posted 09 June 2008 - 04:01 AM

OKAY
tackle not capitalized anywhere
run too fast and feet barely touch ground
battles come to fast when running
we have to click even when the opponent is attacking
if we click bag it doesnt open a bag instead throws ball
cant run
when trainer throws out pokemon it does not show ball being thrown
when click on a pokemon summary it only shows how much hp u have now without hp in beginning Ex. 9/19
when running the water moves fast and when only holding space bar without moving it still does the same and the same thing with flowers
could stand on posts
when done healing healed appears next to fully on top line for a sec and then goes to bottom
no grass effects when walking or running

and thats it :huh:

#39 sunstroke

sunstroke

GMC Member

• 255 posts

Posted 09 June 2008 - 05:40 PM

If you are only going to dish out criticisms, then you should at least read the instructions on how to play...

Let's go through your list dialg8

cant run
when running the water moves fast and when only holding space bar without moving it still does the same and the same thing with flowers

You didn't read the directions, X is run, not SPACE! I did not say that SPACE was a control, but if that confuses some people that like to go play a game without reading the first post (not saying any names ;)) then I will edit my first post to specify that SPACE speeds up the room speed (the controls are based off of emulator default controls)

PEOPLE FIND IT ANNOYING WHEN OTHER PEOPLE POST IN ALL CAPS
why should I have attacks, names and anything else like that?

IOh my, the inhumanity.
If you really find it inconvenient, then just keep your mouse pressed on the touchscreen, that does all the clicking for you.

That's because this is a Work in Progress (I guess some people don't know that, not saying any names :))
The items system is currently not working, and so I simply linked up the bag button with pokeballs.

when click on a pokemon summary it only shows how much hp u have now without hp in beginning Ex. 9/19
The summary is exactly like the diamond and pearl system.
It surprises me that you think this a problem because I don't think that a person who complains about lowercase "tackle" would want any discrepancy from the real thing.

could stand on posts
This is not a glitch, it's just me being lazy. The message is a tile, which daspirit put in, but I haven't gotten around to putting a message object there yet, because its a Work in Progress

when done healing healed appears next to fully on top line for a sec and then goes to bottom
I don't know what you're talking about...

There are grass effects when walking or running, the only exception being route 2 which is still a Work in Progress

and thats it :whistle:
Really? You are not a critic, for a critic points out what can be done to improve. What you are is a flamer, because all you do is list negatives (three quarters of which was just you pressing space because you DIDN'T READ THE INSTRUCTIONS!)

Anyway, that's about all I want to say to you.

#40 Dreedo

Dreedo

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1308 posts

Posted 09 June 2008 - 06:00 PM

wow you owned him :whistle:

anyway did you make this engine all by yourself? if so then im impressed.

#41 sunstroke

sunstroke

GMC Member

• 255 posts

Posted 09 June 2008 - 06:01 PM

wow you owned him :whistle:

anyway did you make this engine all by yourself? if so then im impressed.

I did all the programming from scratch, DaSpirit ripped and sprited all the graphics (and most of the mapping too)

#42 dialg8

dialg8

GMC Member

• 29 posts

Posted 10 June 2008 - 03:07 AM

should i put all the good stuff ^_^

#43 kiota

kiota

GMC Member

• 4 posts

Posted 21 June 2008 - 01:28 AM

- Custom player sprite
- Choosing a pokemon
- Poke Marts
- Custom pokemon

WHATS THE FIRST BEST??

#44 kiota

kiota

GMC Member

• 4 posts

Posted 21 June 2008 - 01:42 AM

If you are only going to dish out criticisms, then you should at least read the instructions on how to play...

Let's go through your list dialg8

cant run

You didn't read the directions, X is run, not SPACE! I did not say that SPACE was a control, but if that confuses some people that like to go play a game without reading the first post (not saying any names ::lmao::) then I will edit my first post to specify that SPACE speeds up the room speed (the controls are based off of emulator default controls)

PEOPLE FIND IT ANNOYING WHEN OTHER PEOPLE POST IN ALL CAPS
why should I have attacks, names and anything else like that?

IOh my, the inhumanity.
If you really find it inconvenient, then just keep your mouse pressed on the touchscreen, that does all the clicking for you.

That's because this is a Work in Progress (I guess some people don't know that, not saying any names :P)
The items system is currently not working, and so I simply linked up the bag button with pokeballs.

The summary is exactly like the diamond and pearl system.
It surprises me that you think this a problem because I don't think that a person who complains about lowercase "tackle" would want any discrepancy from the real thing.

could stand on posts
This is not a glitch, it's just me being lazy. The message is a tile, which daspirit put in, but I haven't gotten around to putting a message object there yet, because its a Work in Progress

I don't know what you're talking about...

There are grass effects when walking or running, the only exception being route 2 which is still a Work in Progress

and thats it :unsure:
Really? You are not a critic, for a critic points out what can be done to improve. What you are is a flamer, because all you do is list negatives (three quarters of which was just you pressing space because you DIDN'T READ THE INSTRUCTIONS!)

Anyway, that's about all I want to say to you.

Hey i had question? have u created any othermaps other than pallet town and veridian city? if so cn't figure out how to reach the? and i can't find professor ock. and like i saw som other ppl saying u should put different pokemon in it ones noone has seen. and try to make it so we can chose our own starters. other than that this could grow to be one bad a$$ game. so keep up the good work i hope to see more in the future.

#45 De-Com

De-Com

GMC Member

• 21 posts

Posted 27 June 2008 - 12:52 PM

- Custom player sprite
- Choosing a pokemon
- Poke Marts
- Custom pokemon

WHATS THE FIRST BEST??

Jext's Pokengine, even though its not a game and more of a engine, its like playing the real thing except more well done.

#46 Dojan5

Dojan5

GMC Member

• 116 posts

Posted 27 June 2008 - 01:13 PM

Hmm...
Mom said that Prof. Oak was in the room next to the house, but i couldnt find him.

#47 daspirit

daspirit

The Quiet

• GMC Member
  • 538 posts

Posted 28 June 2008 - 12:48 AM

Hmm...
Mom said that Prof. Oak was in the room next to the house, but i couldnt find him.

lol, Prof. Oak hasn't been implemented in yet although his sprite is in the game. All the story things will come soon, why we put that in is because the mom is kinda different then other CPU since she starts facing one direction and after you finish talking to her, she turn back to the same direction she starts.
Oh yea and I don't know when the next update will take place, don't know where Sunstroke went off too... :snitch:

#48 sunstroke

sunstroke

GMC Member

• 255 posts

Posted 07 July 2008 - 12:49 PM

I'm posting to make known a minor update:
1. Several little discrepancies have been fixed
2. Story is now being added

The next thing I plan to is a bag system and a pokedex.

#49 EM'N'EM

EM'N'EM

GMC Member

• 6 posts

Posted 09 July 2008 - 06:01 PM

Great start, I mean,
Not even PT's start off was as good.
The battle system is close to perfect.
It can be the best GM made pokemon game ever.

Cant wait for the story and gameplay. I can give you some ideas.

Change the name too, it seems like just another noob pokemon game at at first reading. Possibly also why the topic is not popular.

#50 sunstroke

sunstroke

GMC Member

• 255 posts

Posted 09 July 2008 - 06:24 PM

Great start, I mean,
Not even PT's start off was as good.
The battle system is close to perfect.
It can be the best GM made pokemon game ever.

Cant wait for the story and gameplay. I can give you some ideas.

Change the name too, it seems like just another noob pokemon game at at first reading. Possibly also why the topic is not popular.

Thanks for the reply. :whistle:

Maybe I will change the name, I'd have to talk it over with DaSpirit.
This is a temporary name anyway...