#1 brac37

brac37

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 808 posts
  • Version:GM7

Posted 29 May 2008 - 04:13 AM

Dear staff,

Recently, I contacted a moderator that was about to merge posts, but another moderator had already done that.

By merging posts, part of the topic's content gets a wrong date associated to it. This is especially annoying if the content of the victim's posts is compatible with this forgery. Years after the offense, anyone in the world may think the aggrieved forum member is an idiot.

There are no rules for moderators: at least not visible for common members. But even if moderators would be allowed in such rules, they still would violate the law.

The motivation of one of the moderators (and presumably the other as well) was to undo a bumping effect. But that could simply be realized by only undoing the bumping effect. No change whatsoever is required to the topic's content. If undoing the bumping is to weak as a signal to the bumper, he can be contacted personally.

I hope that you will soon take the necessary steps to avoid moderators from committing forgery.

I wish to remark that I did not find a manner to contact the staff. Furthermore, contacting the yoyogames site in general failed: the browser kept telling me that the FAQ would probably answer my question.

Yours sincerely,
brac37

#2 Zezuken

Zezuken

AKA: Warriorccc0

• GMC Member
  • 2799 posts
  • Version:Unknown

Posted 29 May 2008 - 04:21 AM

Oh no, better watch out Fredfredrickson (or whoever else ), you will get arrested by the US Government for merging posts!

So your complaining that by merging it will get the dates mixed up? Wow you've got to much free time for ranting.

Edited by Zezuken, 29 May 2008 - 04:45 AM.

#3 X-tra Fear

X-tra Fear

Behemoth Creator

• GMC Member
  • 430 posts
  • Version:GM8

Posted 29 May 2008 - 04:25 AM

Umm, noob much?
Surprised to hear this from an 05 member... why didn't you rant then?

edit: I guess Mark is in trouble to. Merging Game Maker games? Seems to mess up the data on one game!

oh ya, this should do it

Edited by X-tra Fear, 29 May 2008 - 04:45 AM.

#4 Dmaster270

Dmaster270

GMC Member

• 1736 posts

Posted 29 May 2008 - 04:25 AM

They only merge posts when it breaks the bumping rule. x_x
PM me with an email for a Lockerz invite.

#5 brac37

brac37

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 808 posts
  • Version:GM7

Posted 29 May 2008 - 04:42 AM

They only merge posts when they find it breaks the bumping rule. And breaking the bumping rule does not justify forgery.

#6 Zezuken

Zezuken

AKA: Warriorccc0

• GMC Member
  • 2799 posts

Posted 29 May 2008 - 04:51 AM

But technically it is, a bump is in fact spam and spam is in fact illegal and if they don't merge its illegal, so this post is illegal, than me posting in here is illegal, and if me posting in here is illegal....then...then......

Did anyone else here just hear a rip in the space time continuum?

edit: nvm, that was the sound of a EPIC FAIL.

extra edit: Don't report the same topic twice people....(Also better call the cops, By me editing again, it causes the old edit date to disappear.)

Edited by Zezuken, 29 May 2008 - 05:01 AM.

#7 Dmaster270

Dmaster270

GMC Member

• 1736 posts

Posted 29 May 2008 - 05:04 AM

They only merge posts when they find it breaks the bumping rule. And breaking the bumping rule does not justify forgery.

Breaking the rules is illegal.
PM me with an email for a Lockerz invite.

#8 name

name

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1427 posts

Posted 29 May 2008 - 05:13 AM

Breaking the rules is illegal.

So is being an idiot...

#9 Formina_Sage

Formina_Sage

GMC Member

• 416 posts

Posted 29 May 2008 - 05:17 AM

If a moderator finds it breaks the bumping rule, then it obviously does, in fact, break the bumping rule. I mean, it's not that hard to figure out. And since when is it "forgery" because it changes the date? Do you even know what forgery is, or were you just trying to sound like you know what you're talking about? Guess what-- you don't.

You say that years later, people may not understand that two posts have been merged. This is almost a valid point, except for the fact that people do have the ability to infer: "That guy said you shouldn't double post, but I only see one post there! Hmm... I guess a mod deleted the offending post!" That's not exactly rocket science.

What really gets me is that you think that because something is not visible to you, it does not exist. (I'm talking about moderator guidelines.) They might, and they might not. It doesn't matter. Mods have enough common sense to know what is breaking a rule and what is not, and how to act accordingly. You need to figure out that even if you can't see something, it might still be there.

And how on earth could you not find a way of contacting the staff? There is a perfectly functional private message system on this forum.

This is just absurd. Do you honestly think that it is against the law for a forum moderator to merge posts?

Edited by Formina_Sage, 29 May 2008 - 05:41 AM.

nom nom nom :E

#10 Hach-Que

Hach-Que

RoketGames Admin

• 1490 posts

Posted 29 May 2008 - 06:14 AM

Years after the offense, anyone in the world may think the aggrieved forum member is an idiot.

For 90% of the members here, they probably already were.

I don't visit these forums (and I haven't for quite some time). You can

see my latest community projects at the Redpoint Blog.

I never thought I'd see myself writing the above.. :(

#11 gmXpert2000

gmXpert2000

SoulRed12

• GMC Member
  • 1976 posts

Posted 29 May 2008 - 06:29 AM

This is an internet forum. The staff can do what they want. :mellow: And I don't know where you're getting forgery from; the way I see it, you're lucky the content of your bumping post is kept at all after you break a clearly stated rule.

If it really bothers you, you could just edit the merged post yourself, and write "Posted on [date] (merged by mods):".

Edited by gmXpert2000, 29 May 2008 - 06:30 AM.

SoulredBar.png
Demo 3 OUT NOW! Play it: Official Site | Official forums | On yoyogames

KNOWN AS SoulRed12 EVERYWHERE BUT HERE ON THE GMC.
Check out my Youtube Channel w/ my music and let's plays!

#12 Yourself

Yourself

The Ultimate Pronoun

• GMC Elder
  • 7352 posts

Posted 29 May 2008 - 06:57 AM

But that could simply be realized by only undoing the bumping effect.

The effect is that the topic gets pushed to the top of the index. To "undo" this effect, the date of the last reply must be changed. There are two ways to do this. Change which reply is the last reply (by deleting other replies) or by changing the date of the last reply to some time in the past. The latter can be achieved by merging posts (this is the only method available to moderators as they do not have direct database access).

But, by your definition, such a modification is forgery (of course you, the "plaintiff", have the burden of actually proving this). Therefore your solution is in direct contradiction with your complaint. The effect cannot be undone without modification of the content of the topic.

Of course nothing was actually added or removed. All the content is still present in the order it originally appeared. The resulting merged post is not fraudulent and was not created with an intent to deceive.

I'd also like to provide additional clarification for those members who may not know where this complaint likely originates.

http://gmc.yoyogames...howtopic=377142

You originally posted three separate (but consecutive) replies at the end of that topic each containing a set of scripts and a description. After noticing these illegal bumps, I decided it would be best to simply merge the replies into one. I selected the three replies and merged them using the default settings (the earliest post's time stamp becomes the time stamp of the resulting post and the content of each post is appended in the same order it appeared in the topic). I came back later to find that the merged post had been edited and information (the latter two sets of scripts) had been removed and one of the sets of scripts added as another reply (as now, after merging, 48 hours had passed since the last reply) which constituted a "legal" bump (I consider it illegal as the reply would have been useless since its content was present in a previous reply and usefulness is a necessary condition for bumping). The last set of scripts (of the two removed from the merged post) was not posted because you had to wait another 48 hours before bumping again.

To me this indicates one very important fact. You are more interested in attention than you are in helping others. All the information you had presented originally was still there and intact. You willfully removed information with the purpose of using it to bump your topic at later dates. This is a clear abuse of the rules.

I'd also like to point out that, even after that topic was closed, you posted yet again but this time in the scripts forum in extending. We let this topic slide. But in the future, I'd recommend not pushing your luck.

Also, for the record:

Please close this topic. It was not started for discussion.

Topics are created for discussion. If you don't want discussion, don't start one in a public forum. Thank you and have a nice day.

#13 FredFredrickson

FredFredrickson

Artist

• Global Moderators
  • 9225 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 29 May 2008 - 07:08 AM

When a topic is so badly off course that moderators have to merge posts, I think the last thing they should need to worry about it what people might think of the offending poster a year from now.

#14 scream681

scream681

Nick Larin

• 1152 posts

Posted 29 May 2008 - 08:59 AM

Stop merging the posts or I call the cops!

" Hello, cops there? Mister cop, I would like to report a post merging... who? yes I know who did it, it was Yourself!!! ... No wait! ... Hello.. Hello? "

Posted Image

#15 DMEISTER

DMEISTER

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 2692 posts

Posted 29 May 2008 - 09:12 AM

Years after the offense, anyone in the world may think the aggrieved forum member is an idiot.

For 90% of the members here, they probably already were.

Well I would like to think I am in the 20% bracket*

(Yes this is a joke :mellow: )

#16 RhysAndrews

RhysAndrews

Game Designer

• GMC Member
  • 2013 posts

Posted 29 May 2008 - 09:26 AM

Whether illegal or not, I'm just surprised you could be so agitated by the slightest of issues.

banner4.jpg

#17 grandhighgamer

grandhighgamer

Village Idiot

• GMC Member
  • 3876 posts

Posted 29 May 2008 - 11:04 AM

Ahahhahhahaha. Ha..... Ha.
This is the internet. You'll never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy so you're best not getting caught up on mere trivial matters. God forbid a moderated forum gets moderated.

Edited by grandhighgamer, 29 May 2008 - 11:13 AM.

GHG WUZ ERE