Posted 21 May 2008 - 04:14 PM

v2 release
Posted Image

- cloud texture tiling fixed
- added stage debugging

P.S.
I won't put any screenshots here, the file is very small

updated 18.07.2008

Edited by them4n!ac, 03 October 2008 - 09:58 PM.

what do you xpect to see here? another signature?
Cloud texture generator / renderer

#2 xygthop3

xygthop3

You may know me from such forums as "Shaders"

• GMC Member
  • 3367 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 22 May 2008 - 11:46 PM

With a bit of work this method can actually produce some very nice clouds.

Posted Image

#3 FredFredrickson

FredFredrickson

Artist

• Global Moderators
  • 9225 posts

Posted 23 May 2008 - 01:51 AM

Is this GM6 actually rendering anything, or is it just displaying a pre-made background? :)

#4 them4n!ac

them4n!ac

GMC Member

• 1170 posts

Posted 23 May 2008 - 05:58 AM

to xygthop3:
thanks for the screenshot! :ph34r:

to FredFredrickson:
see for yourself :lol:
it draws a rotating ellipsoid
it can use many such cloud layers with different speed and color

i'll soon update this example with some more cool "outdoor" effects :blink:

#5 xygthop3

xygthop3

• GMC Member
  • 3367 posts

Posted 23 May 2008 - 06:48 AM

@FredFredrickson The cloud images I generated in paint.net and and used them as an alpha mask. Draw 2 rotating ellipsoids 1 higher than the other with different speeds and different amounts of UV tiling.

Then set the fog to just the right shade of blue and correct distance so not to show the ugly texture cluster points of the ellipsoid and not draw the clouds lower than the horizion.

So yeah, in the short of it, it's just showing a pre-rendered image.

#6 Aragon1029

Aragon1029

GMC Member

• 940 posts

Posted 23 May 2008 - 08:27 PM

Very nice as Xygthop3 said with a little editing this can be a very good method of rendering clouds its not really rendering anything but its still done really well :ph34r:.
Im using it for an engine

Rave Breakout! A new game for iOS devices!
Ever wondered how many lines of code your game has?
Guys, I have a great idea, let's protect the public through censorship.

#7 them4n!ac

them4n!ac

GMC Member

• 1170 posts

Posted 23 May 2008 - 08:44 PM

I'm adding cloud generator to the example :ph34r:
Could someone give me one great 2d noise script?

#8 xygthop3

xygthop3

• GMC Member
  • 3367 posts

Posted 23 May 2008 - 09:25 PM

I'm adding cloud generator to the example :ph34r:

THIS post by xot helped me a lot when I did a sort of perlin noise, it was for a cloud system aswel.

#9 MNE

MNE

GMC Member

• 28 posts

Posted 23 May 2008 - 09:47 PM

I like it very much
thank,s !!!

now ... I can put a cloud as a skull or a monster :ph34r: :blink:

#10 MNE

MNE

GMC Member

• 28 posts

Posted 23 May 2008 - 09:50 PM

Sorry I forget to ask you :

why the top of the sky is always white ???????????

#11 FredFredrickson

FredFredrickson

Artist

• Global Moderators
  • 9225 posts

Posted 23 May 2008 - 10:37 PM

I'm adding cloud generator to the example :blink:

THIS post by xot helped me a lot when I did a sort of perlin noise, it was for a cloud system aswel.

Perlin noise works great for both clouds and terrain. I used to have an example I made for that... not sure what happened to it though. I'll try to dig it up this weekend. :ph34r:

#12 xygthop3

xygthop3

• GMC Member
  • 3367 posts

Posted 24 May 2008 - 04:35 AM

I'm adding cloud generator to the example :)

Perlin noise works great for both clouds and terrain. I used to have an example I made for that... not sure what happened to it though. I'll try to dig it up this weekend. :lol:

Perlin noise did work quite well for theclouds I was working on but I was also trying to reduce noise exponentially but never managed to figure it out correctly, but now looking at my code again and being slightly wiser, I think i know where I went wrong and can fix it. You can check out the exp() topic HERE

#13 FredFredrickson

FredFredrickson

Artist

• Global Moderators
  • 9225 posts

Posted 24 May 2008 - 05:04 AM

I actually generated my noise by just using randomly colored surfaces, overlaying each other. Not quite as precise as a mathematical approach, but it got the job done. :lol:

#14 them4n!ac

them4n!ac

GMC Member

• 1170 posts

Posted 24 May 2008 - 10:41 AM

I have the other parts of Perlin noise, I just need to get a function which returns random numbers from -1 (or 0) to 1 and takes three arguments - x, y, and a random number
and no DLLs
I now use one expression in sin() function but it doesn't give me completely random image

Edited by them4n!ac, 24 May 2008 - 10:49 AM.

#15 cybot99

cybot99

GMC Member

• 190 posts

Posted 25 May 2008 - 07:24 AM

Firstly I'd like to say that this is quite a nice example.

Now, about the cloud creator. I have made a simple script (or actually a collection of scripts) that make some quite convincing cloud textures. It's based around the Diamond-square algorithum, but I could never get the script exactly right. It's pretty messy, but it may help.

I can't give you a link right now as i'm not on my computer, but I will soon. So keep a look out.

Edit: here you go: Download It ain't great, but it may provide you with a starting point. You can PM me if you want anymore info on it.

I hope it will help.
-Cybot99

Edited by cybot99, 26 May 2008 - 08:03 AM.

#16 Alvare

Alvare

Not an administrator

• GMC Member
  • 1812 posts
  • Version:None

Posted 29 May 2008 - 10:49 AM

With a bit of work this method can actually produce some very nice clouds.

Posted Image

Hahahaha that looks so freaking nice!
I tried to make that too, but it never became like what you did... :mellow:
Please do you want to post that beautiful texture?
...Please?

Edited by THE_GAME_EDITOR, 29 May 2008 - 10:53 AM.

#17 xygthop3

xygthop3

• GMC Member
  • 3367 posts

Posted 29 May 2008 - 11:42 AM

hahaha well obviously I am using that texture in a game but below is another texture that will give a similar effect. Play with the luminosity to get the right ammount of density you require.

Posted Image

To get a similar effect as I have you will need to draw 2 ellipsoids, 1 larger than the other and set the larger ellipsoids drawing color to white and the smaller to gray or dark gray to get a nice cloud effect.

Enjoy.

#18 Alvare

Alvare

Not an administrator

• GMC Member
  • 1812 posts

Posted 29 May 2008 - 02:46 PM

Thank you so much, xygthop3!
It looks very nice in my example.

Edited by THE_GAME_EDITOR, 02 November 2008 - 07:36 PM.

#19 connor4312

connor4312

www.connorpeet.com

• GMC Member
  • 896 posts

Posted 30 May 2008 - 03:49 PM

In my opinion, very unimpressive. Looks like a rotating sphere or ceiling, and in F4 fullscreen the movement is really off. I think as for clouds, this example is barking up the wrong tree.

Edited by connor4312, 30 May 2008 - 03:52 PM.

Posted Image

#20 them4n!ac

them4n!ac

GMC Member

• 1170 posts

Posted 30 May 2008 - 10:25 PM

thanks, cybot99, I'll look at your example
I think there will be an update soon..

#21 cybot99

cybot99

GMC Member

• 190 posts

Posted 31 May 2008 - 03:35 AM

Glad I could help. But, like I said, it's a bit of a mess. I have just a plain Diamond-square generator if you'd rather that. Up to you.

EDIT: here is a Diamond-square algirithum script I made, it pretty good even if I do say so myself. :D

//------------------------defines variables-------------------//size = 512; //size of grid in powers of 2 (eg. 32, 64,128, 256, 512)grid = ds_grid_create(size,size); //creates the grid where values are to be storedds_grid_add(grid,0,0,random(120)); //these just set random corner values in the grid,ds_grid_add(grid,size-1,0,random(110)); //they can be changed to whatever you want.ds_grid_add(grid,size-1,size-1,random(120)); //if they are the same, the image created willds_grid_add(grid,0,size-1,random(130)); //sort-of "wrap" around, but don't count on it.i=size;rough = 0.2; //change for "roughness". Lower values = rougher.//-------------------------------------------------------------////###### start of Diamond-square algorithum ##########//////don't change too much in here, it is very "touchy".//if you want to change anything here, only change things marked with// [CHANGEABLE], or individual values. DONT CHSNGE VARIABLES unless you//are extreemly carefull.////Please ignore any de-bug messages. THey are commented out so will not affect//the the script, but they only make sence to me.//---------var val, step, i, xx,yy;for (i=size; i>=2; i/=2){step = floor(i);if (step = 0) step = 1;halfstep = floor(step/2);window_set_caption("Running..."+string(step)+" - "+string(halfstep));for (yy=0; yy <= size; yy+=step){for (xx=0; xx <= size; xx+=step){/*show_debug_message(" yy: "+ string(yy) + " - xx: "+string(xx) + " - strp: "+string(step));*/z1 = ds_grid_get(grid,xx,yy);z2 = ds_grid_get(grid,xx+step,yy);z3 = ds_grid_get(grid,xx,yy+step);z4 = ds_grid_get(grid,xx+step,yy+step);val = mean(z1,z2,z3,z4);if (val < height) val=0;// [changeable] values can be changed here to give more of an effect in some cases, but be carefull!if (ds_grid_get(grid,xx+halfstep,yy+halfstep) = 0) ds_grid_set(grid,xx+halfstep,yy+halfstep,min(480,max(0,val+random(step/rough)-(step/rough/2)))); //-- if (yy <= size) //vertical (y) working{if (xx == 0){//show_debug_message(string(xx)+" - "+string(yy)+"x");val = mean(ds_grid_get(grid,xx,yy),ds_grid_get(grid,xx,yy+step),ds_grid_get(grid,xx+halfstep,yy+halfstep))+random(step/rough)-(step/rough/2); /*show_debug_message(" left ");val = c_yellow;*/}else if (xx = size){//show_debug_message(string(xx)+" - "+string(yy)+" - y");val = mean(ds_grid_get(grid,xx,yy),ds_grid_get(grid,xx,yy+step),ds_grid_get(grid,xx-halfstep,yy+halfstep),ds_grid_get(grid,1,yy+halfstep))+random(step/rough)-(step/rough/2); /*show_debug_message(" right ");val = c_yellow;*/val=200;}else {val = mean(ds_grid_get(grid,xx,yy),ds_grid_get(grid,xx+halfstep,yy+halfstep),ds_grid_get(grid,xx-halfstep,yy+halfstep),ds_grid_get(grid,xx,yy+step))+random(step/rough)-(step/rough/2);/*val = c_yellow; show_debug_message(" all ");*/} //if (xx = size && yy = 0) show_debug_message(string(ds_grid_get(grid,size,0))+" - ");if (ds_grid_get(grid,xx,yy+halfstep) = 0){if (val < height) ds_grid_set(grid,xx,yy+halfstep,0);elseds_grid_set(grid,xx,yy+halfstep,min(480,max(0,val))); // [changeable] values can be changed here to give more of an effect in some cases, but be carefull!}}//--if (xx <= size) //horizontal (x) working <--->{if (yy == 0) {val = mean(ds_grid_get(grid,xx,yy),ds_grid_get(grid,xx+step,yy),ds_grid_get(grid,xx+halfstep,yy+halfstep))+random(step/rough)-(step/rough/2); /*show_debug_message(" top ");val = c_green;*/}else if (yy = size) {//show_debug_message(string(xx)+" - "+string(yy)+" - x");val = mean(ds_grid_get(grid,xx,yy),ds_grid_get(grid,xx+step,yy),ds_grid_get(grid,xx+halfstep,yy-halfstep),ds_grid_get(grid,xx+halfstep,1))+random(step/rough)-(step/rough/2); /*show_debug_message(" bottom ");val = c_green;*/}else{val = mean(ds_grid_get(grid,xx,yy),ds_grid_get(grid,xx+step,yy),ds_grid_get(grid,xx+halfstep,yy-halfstep),ds_grid_get(grid,xx+halfstep,yy+halfstep))+random(step/rough)-(step/rough/2);/*val = c_green; show_debug_message(" all ");*/}if (ds_grid_get(grid,xx+halfstep,yy) = 0){if (val < height) ds_grid_set(grid,xx+halfstep,yy,0);elseds_grid_set(grid,xx+halfstep,yy,min(480,max(0,val))); // [changeable] values can be changed here to give more of an effect in some cases, but be carefull!}//show_debug_message(" xx: "+ string(xx)+" - yy: "+string(yy));}if (keyboard_check_direct(ord("B"))) exit;}}}

I appologise for the formatting, but it was the blasted Code-box.

To use: Run this script somewhere in your game, then you can draw the grid in any normal way.
ie.
make_color_hsv[/size][size=2]([/size][size=2]color_get_hue[/size][size=2](c_red),[/size][size=2]color_get_saturation[/size][size=2](c_red),[/size][size=2]max[/size][size=2](0,[/size][size=2]min[/size][size=2](240,[/size][size=2]ds_grid_get[/size][size=2](grid,a,u)))); //make sure you limit the variables within 0 - 255, just to be safe.

draw_point_color(b,a,col);
[/size]
}
}
_linenums:0'>for (a=0; a<=size; a+=1){ for (b=0; b<=size; b+=1){[size=2]col = [/size][size=2]make_color_hsv[/size][size=2]([/size][size=2]color_get_hue[/size][size=2](c_red),[/size][size=2]color_get_saturation[/size][size=2](c_red),[/size][size=2]max[/size][size=2](0,[/size][size=2]min[/size][size=2](240,[/size][size=2]ds_grid_get[/size][size=2](grid,a,u)))); //make sure you limit the variables within 0 - 255, just to be safe.draw_point_color(b,a,col);[/size]}}

You may want to take a screen-shot of the image (or draw it to a surface) so it can be use as a texture.

Hope that helps.
-Cybot99

Edited by cybot99, 31 May 2008 - 04:19 AM.

#22 them4n!ac

them4n!ac

GMC Member

• 1170 posts

Posted 31 May 2008 - 01:40 PM

I have an update, the example generates a cloud texture very, very fast, see first post!

#23 xygthop3

xygthop3

• GMC Member
  • 3367 posts

Posted 31 May 2008 - 10:02 PM

The generation method seems to work well. But the problem I noticed is that the texture is not tileable, maybe this would be something worth looking into.

#24 them4n!ac

them4n!ac

GMC Member

• 1170 posts

Posted 01 June 2008 - 09:20 AM

yes, it may not be tileable, and it may be, I'll look at the noise texture generation and smoothing

#25 cybot99

cybot99

GMC Member

• 190 posts

Posted 04 June 2008 - 07:22 AM

My diamond-square script can easilly be made tilable. The script shown is an old version, i have an update if you want?

#26 them4n!ac

them4n!ac

GMC Member

• 1170 posts

Posted 04 June 2008 - 10:29 AM

I need a fast script so maybe you could show me your reference used when making the terrain generator?

#27 cybot99

cybot99

GMC Member

• 190 posts

Posted 05 June 2008 - 06:33 AM

oh, um, I really just worked allot of it out myself. sorry.

hang on, there was one other Diamond-square algorithm script here on the GMC, I think (not too sure) that it was in one of the Advanced forums, but thats all I can remember. I think i've lost the script since, sorry.

But, my script is quite fast, if you don't draw in-between steps, and have a small-ish size, it can do it in a couple of sesconds, but I see where your comming from.

If I find out anything else, i'll post.

Sorry I couldn't be of much help.
-Cybot99

EDIT: here is a sight I remember using a fair bit: http://www.gameprogr...om/fractal.html

Edited by cybot99, 05 June 2008 - 07:59 AM.

#28 them4n!ac

them4n!ac

GMC Member

• 1170 posts

Posted 05 June 2008 - 10:17 AM

I see now.. the diamond-square algorithm is not for me, it just can't be made good enough in GM.. :mellow:

#29 them4n!ac

them4n!ac

GMC Member

• 1170 posts

Posted 06 June 2008 - 02:27 PM

UPDATE - V2 - see first post

#30 Alvare

Alvare

Not an administrator

• GMC Member
  • 1812 posts

Posted 18 June 2008 - 05:36 PM

-removed

Edited by THE_GAME_EDITOR, 02 November 2008 - 07:36 PM.

#31 them4n!ac

them4n!ac

GMC Member

• 1170 posts

Posted 18 June 2008 - 10:48 PM

Thanks for the screenshot!

I'll fix the cloud tiling one day, so this sample could actually be used! ::lmao::

#32 Alvare

Alvare

Not an administrator

• GMC Member
  • 1812 posts

Posted 26 June 2008 - 05:13 PM

-Removed

Edited by THE_GAME_EDITOR, 02 November 2008 - 07:35 PM.

#33 xygthop3

xygthop3

• GMC Member
  • 3367 posts

Posted 26 June 2008 - 09:35 PM

Download Link: http://files.filefro...;/fileinfo.html
This is really worth a look!

When you release an editable please dont ever include a 3mb BMP screenshot or a 21mb WAV sound file, these things are not required. Thank you.

Edit: ALWAYS let ESC key exit the game with an editable.

*SIGH*

Edit 2: ALWAYS make your textures ^2. eg: 128x128 256x256

Edited by xygthop3, 26 June 2008 - 09:50 PM.

#34 Alvare

Alvare

Not an administrator

• GMC Member
  • 1812 posts

Posted 27 June 2008 - 09:58 AM

-removed

Edited by THE_GAME_EDITOR, 02 November 2008 - 07:38 PM.

#35 xygthop3

xygthop3

• GMC Member
  • 3367 posts

Posted 27 June 2008 - 09:50 PM

Man why are you so negetive?!

Because its my right to behave the way I so choose.

First of all why are these things not required?

Because its a simple editable that takes 1min to look at and takes 5mins to download and why would someone need a 3mb BMP for the editable that they have just download, I would much rather have jsut downloaded a 1mb editable :S and a 12mb WAV file? do I have to explain myself further?.

Second.. if you fast-click 'esc' key you can leave the game.

Why make simple things complex?

But youre right about the texture size, i changed it to 256x256.

I know I'm right, thats why I said it.

#36 guitarbball0092

guitarbball0092

Ruthless Gamer

• 325 posts

Posted 27 June 2008 - 11:49 PM

It looks like I have some competition! Lol

I really like how smooth it is, and how the top of the sky is a different shade than the horizon. I'm gonna have to update Environment with more features like this! Maybe try some of that "perlin noise" stuff!

this is pretty good. Maybe we could join ours and make the "ultimate outside effects engine" or somethin :snitch:

~Drew

Edited by guitarbball0092, 27 June 2008 - 11:50 PM.

13" MacBook Pro AND PROUD OF IT!! Parallels user, but only for GM. :)

Musician: Composer, mixing, piano, guitar, vocals, clarinet.
Soon to have an EP out on all online stores :D

#37 icuurd12b42

icuurd12b42

Self Formed Sentient

• GMC Elder
  • 18181 posts

Posted 28 June 2008 - 12:14 AM

Nice. real nice...

I agree with xygtop. Remove the huge wav and the bmp... It's not remotely related to the demo.

And PLEASE use zip. You know how many hoops I have to jump though to extract a darn file from a rar file under vista so it does not freese forcing me to buy it? And no, I'm not buying winrar just to fix that when zips are part of the os.

Edited by icuurd12b42, 28 June 2008 - 12:14 AM.

gmcbanner.pnggmcbanner_tools.png

ICU Live Tutoring Through Slack or Skype | My Tools Page follow.png

I FRANTICALLY MADE MY 18000 POST TOPIC BEFORE MIKE ANNOUNCED A DELAY...
Now I'm squirming not to hit that reply button

#38 Alvare

Alvare

Not an administrator

• GMC Member
  • 1812 posts

Posted 28 June 2008 - 09:50 AM

-removed

#39 guitarbball0092

guitarbball0092

Ruthless Gamer

• 325 posts

Posted 28 June 2008 - 01:13 PM

And seriously, let exit end the game. I had to shut down my computer.

Ya just don't do that.

#40 Alvare

Alvare

Not an administrator

• GMC Member
  • 1812 posts

Posted 28 June 2008 - 03:39 PM

-removed

#41 guitarbball0092

guitarbball0092

Ruthless Gamer

• 325 posts

Posted 29 June 2008 - 12:18 AM

And seriously, let exit end the game. I had to shut down my computer.

Ya just don't do that.

Oh thats not so smart...
You just had to press the esc button twice and then it just exit.
But still im going to change that :(

It looks like I have some competition! Lol

I really like how smooth it is, and how the top of the sky is a different shade than the horizon. I'm gonna have to update Environment with more features like this! Maybe try some of that "perlin noise" stuff!

this is pretty good. Maybe we could join ours and make the "ultimate outside effects engine" or somethin :D

~Drew

Thanks for your complements.
Work together... Souds great!
But first i'm going to tweak things like Xygthop3 sayd.
I could't work much on the example today because i had to go shopping with my mother ;)

But i have worked a little on the flying birds.
They have two kinds of movement:

Flying mode (When there in the flying mode they just move and spin around in the air.)
Sometimes while in flying mode it randomly changes to:

Dive mode (In this code they actually dive and hold still there wings)

One problem trough... its now just an floor and i cant find an good topdown bird animation to use one it.
I try'd to make it by myself but its kinda hard.
So im going to make an simple 3D model of it.

The part where I said I would like to work together... I was talking to the OP.

Edit: I just realized that sounded really harsh :P, but I didn't even see your example when I posted that.

Edited by guitarbball0092, 29 June 2008 - 12:20 AM.

#42 Alvare

Alvare

Not an administrator

• GMC Member
  • 1812 posts

Posted 29 June 2008 - 05:12 AM

-Removed

Edited by THE_GAME_EDITOR, 02 November 2008 - 07:40 PM.

#43 guitarbball0092

guitarbball0092

Ruthless Gamer

• 325 posts

Posted 29 June 2008 - 07:28 PM

The part where I said I would like to work together... I was talking to the OP.

Edit: I just realized that sounded really harsh ;), but I didn't even see your example when I posted that.

Aaah thats pity you weren't talking to me. -_-
But its all right.. its not that harsh ;)
I understand now there are two confersations in this topic. :P

Yeah. Make your new example good and I might work with you to create the ultimate outside effects engine.

~Drew

#44 them4n!ac

them4n!ac

GMC Member

• 1170 posts

Posted 30 June 2008 - 09:19 AM

THE_GAME_EDITOR, thanks for the example!

I think I should fix noise texture tiling very fast ;)

#45 Alvare

Alvare

Not an administrator

• GMC Member
  • 1812 posts

Posted 07 July 2008 - 04:30 PM

-Removed

Edited by THE_GAME_EDITOR, 02 November 2008 - 07:34 PM.

#46 guitarbball0092

guitarbball0092

Ruthless Gamer

• 325 posts

Posted 08 July 2008 - 05:35 PM

~trouble with room creation code. Fixed.

I gotta say, it looks nice. I hope you don't mind, but I played around with it:

http://www.mediafire.com/?xmxdn2vgxda

What I've done here is i made all texures in the dimensions of the POWER OF TWO.

This is very important. To make all textures fit together and tile you HAVE to do this.

I have an offer for you. About to PM you about it.

~Drew

#47 them4n!ac

them4n!ac

GMC Member

• 1170 posts

Posted 18 July 2008 - 10:47 AM

I finished v2
texture tiling problem was because of stupid draw_ functions, I had to use another ways..
download is up there, in the first post :)

#48 Pie Person!

Pie Person!

GM 6+ Lover

• GMC Member
  • 1973 posts

Posted 05 October 2008 - 04:14 PM

Wow, the new one looks pretty good!
Cool.